GW2 – I think i'm quitting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

OP is not asking for em to make pve easy.he is asking for a different combat mechanic that is fun and I agree with him.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

There is nothing in this game that kills you inevitably.

Except the Jade Maw, whose only attack will instantly down you if you’re not holding a crystal or are really good at dodging him. And if you get the bad luck of being targeted again while downed (saw it happen to a PUG-mate), you’re killed instantly with no opportunity to dodge.

Oh, and Agony, if you’re lacking in AR at Lvl 20 Fractals or so. At that point, Agony deals 25% per tick and there’s generally about 4 ticks of infliction….that’s a delayed down, not an instant one, but it’s just about inevitable shy of having a dodge at the exact right time.

And then there’s a great number of bosses in events and dungeons with attacks that are either OHKOs or at least very high hitting, and these attacks are also generally very difficult to dodge.

Saying “an attack will kill you inevitably unless you do something to avoid that attack” means said attack will not kill you inevitably. Ergo, there is nothing in this game that inevitably kills a character, and this by itself proves the OP wrong. Unless he can actually mention an example of situations when, in his own words, “player character gets damage that kill it and that can not be avoided.”

People assume the game has been balanced around dodge. Those players usually don’t understand the game as well as they think. Would you like an example? The fight against Alpha, in Crucible of Eternity path 2, has been mentioned a few times here as one of the most difficult boss fights in the game. A lot of people use dodge to stay alive there. However, when you understand how that fight works, there is no need to dodge at all. ArenaNet could add an environment effect that negates all endurance and a group of players who knew what they were doing would still be able to defeat that boss, without the need to death zerg or any other similar trick. However, ArenaNet doesn’t do that considering how many people don’t understand that dodge isn’t the mechanic GW2 has been balanced around.

To give one more example: In other topic, I saw someone using the Graveling Scavangers to demonstrated how “broken” the combat system is. The Scavangers have a charged attack in which, if they hit, they knock a character down and basically kill it while it’s on the ground. The poster was using them as a way to illustrate how combat is either DPS – and you kill them before they use this attack – or dodge – the only way to avoid this attack – or you die, no other option available.

That comment showed a profound lack of knowledge about the game.

Against the Graveling Scavangers, a character can:

• Interrupt the charging animation. Any kind of crowd control works for this.
  • If the character cannot interrupt the attack, use some kind of defensive skill to prevent the attack from hitting. Aegis for Guardians, Mist Form for Elementalists, and so on.
  • If the attack cannot be defended against, use some source of Stability to prevent the knock down and thus avoid the killing attacks.
  • If the character cannot prevent the knock down and is actually thrown on the ground, use any kind of stun breaker to leave the knocked down state and just walk away from the killing attacks.
  • If a character cannot do any of that… Just ask for help. Party members can do all of the above, plus interrupt the killing attacks themselves.

Dodge is not the only, nor the best, way to avoid taking damage. It’s likely the simplest, which has led some players to assume it’s the only one.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

(edited by Erasculio.2914)

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

my main is a level 80 sylvari ranger. currently at 98% completion and while i have no clue how many hours i’ve spent playing (how do you guys tell anyway?) i can say i have seen most of what GW2 has to offer. i took my time exploring, helping others along the way (and being saved by them in turn), did some crafting, tried pvp, wvwvw, was there for the lost shores event and i’ve participated in almost every aspect of the game i can think of except for fractals (due to rl time limitations)

there have in fact been cases where i felt as death was the only possible outcome of me bumping into trouble. specifically, the crowded spots in Orr, the karka five-shot attacks, the Metrica elemental when i first saw it and whenever i went in against a champion or two by myself (yeah, i missed the “Champion” tag, sue me :P ) ..i’ve held my own against group events and i have been killed by weak mobs, in both cases the outcome was because of my actions, not the fault of the game

i wouldn’t say the game is too easy, nor is it particularly hard. i do know however that some aspects of it are not for me (like JPs with vanishing platforms) and i know i am in fact one of the worst players out there, especially in pvp/w3 situations …to put it bluntly, the l2p crowd are not being unreasonable here

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I have a feeling that drops (rare’s in Orr from DE’s) are stealthnerfed again with
last week patch (not only me, but everybody i ask in party’s are feeling the same),
what means more grinding DE’s in Orr for Ecto’s and less incoming gold.

If this is true, that they have yet again nerfed the drop rates after the (surprise, surprise) brushed under the carpet thread about the previous nerfs only to nerf them even further, then there is no hope for this game.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I have a feeling that drops (rare’s in Orr from DE’s) are stealthnerfed again with
last week patch (not only me, but everybody i ask in party’s are feeling the same),
what means more grinding DE’s in Orr for Ecto’s and less incoming gold.

If this is true, that they have yet again nerfed the drop rates after the (surprise, surprise) brushed under the carpet thread about the previous nerfs only to nerf them even further, then there is no hope for this game.

I have to agree with the " there is no hope for this game".

There’s little incentive to do anything, the events, DE’s, bosses and champs I had great fun doing with a group of people are no more.

Most places are empty, barren and devoid of players.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

my main is a level 80 sylvari ranger. currently at 98% completion and while i have no clue how many hours i’ve spent playing (how do you guys tell anyway?)

Type /age you can also see how many times you’ve died. /deaths Erm… I think there is an s at the end of deaths.

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

I already have quit.
On occasions i am still tempted, but then i remember how lonesome it is to try and find some openworld PvE action.

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I have to agree with the " there is no hope for this game".

There’s little incentive to do anything, the events, DE’s, bosses and champs I had great fun doing with a group of people are no more.

Most places are empty, barren and devoid of players.

So many players are stupid enough not to get the full story when commenting on the state of the game, and its starting to annoy. FYI the devs are currently working on ways to make the open world more populated by improving boss mechanics and creating actual reward for killing them and doing DEs. Expect that in either the Jan or Feb patch.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Please refrain from making “I quit” threads. They are usually not constructive and tend to derail very fast and content trolling comments.

Thanks for your understanding.