GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Note meaning WoW killer as in the term not literal meaning…

But these to games, if both were mixed together would be a super great AAA title.

What I like about Rift:
*the huge list of class or souls as they call them.
*Talent trees
*AA system
*Large interesting MetaEvents that are fun
*Instanced PvP modes vary and are fun and unique
*Trinity PvE
*Raiding
*Housing
*2hander Axes :-)
*Mounts
*Lore

What I like about Guild Wars 2:
*Individual smaller events are interesting and make world feel alive
*Meta Bosses look more interesting
*WvW concept was neat
*Armor and Weapon Models are good high fantasy that I like
*Cities are large and unique
*level scaling
*PvP auto scales, this goes with level scaling but believe it deserves its own, its that good
*Hybrid Action combat
*Races
*World Size

Lets mix these two, but plus some few features added on like:
Naval Combat with Ships and other naval vehicles to explore the sea and battle monsters and other players in WVW.
Imagine linking all the WvW maps together using Naval combat between maps.
Also some Arial Combat would be nice as well. Some dragon rider bombers and Gryphin rider bombers. Imagine these two fighting it out int he air to defend against bombers and to do their own bombing. But watch out for NPC Dragon Legion which wants to destroy all servers. Yikes!!
Also how about better crafting system that’s more like mini games?

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Y’know if Margonites were still around, I wouldn’t have to do this myself!!..

/e * claws own eyeballs out *

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Knighthonor.4061

What’s this you trying to say that you can’t say with your own words? You confuse me.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

If GW2 was anything like Rift, I know I would NOT be playing it, and even less giving 20€ or more worth of gems per month to the developers.
There’s some things like housing and mounts that I hope to see in GW2 someday, but other things like raiding that would make me quit immediately.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

If GW2 was anything like Rift, I know I would NOT be playing it, and even less giving 20€ or more worth of gems per month to the developers.
There’s some things like housing and mounts that I hope to see in GW2 someday, but other things like raiding that would make me quit immediately.

Agreed! Now if Anet would give us Professions and skills like we had in GW in the open world of GW2 then you would have a game that is not faltering and on verge of loosing it’s playerbase.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Knighthonor.4061

Agreed! Now if Anet would give us Professions and skills like we had in GW in the open world of GW2 then you would have a game that is not faltering and on verge of loosing it’s playerbase.

GW2 is much different from GW1. But at first most of you said you hated many of the ideas until it was revealed during Gw2 revealing.

To me it seem like people are just scared of what’s different and what they don’t understand.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Galphar.3901

GW2 is much different from GW1. But at first most of you said you hated many of the ideas until it was revealed during Gw2 revealing.

To me it seem like people are just scared of what’s different and what they don’t understand.

I bolded the biggest reason that GW2 is starting to fail.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

GW2 is going slowly and silently into the night. I wouldn’t expect to see any type of change to this game until they freak out at the end and it’s too late.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Araziel.7201

I would love to see that, but these guys can’t even balance the very little they have now. It’s pretty sad really and it would be a disaster if the current team of devs tried it.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Why do we need another “death of WoW” thread? Who cares what other people play? You should be invested in a game you like – not a game you play specifically to see another one fail.

GW2 needs some desperate TLC to keep going strong for more than just another 6mo to a year.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

…There’s some things like housing and mounts that I hope to see in GW2 someday, but other things like raiding that would make me quit immediately.

Seriously?

Raiding would make you quit because?!?!?!?

I’m surprised you play GW2 at all tbh… I mean there must be at least one thing in GW2 you don’t like… yet you still play?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Knighthonor.4061

Why do we need another “death of WoW” thread? Who cares what other people play? You should be invested in a game you like – not a game you play specifically to see another one fail.

GW2 needs some desperate TLC to keep going strong for more than just another 6mo to a year.

That’s why I noted first, in the first sentence that this is using the term WoW killer, not literal meaning. The term. Some phrases are terms that are different from literal meaning.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Galphar.3901

NCSoft announced Anet can begin working on an expansion. Will be interesting to see if anyone is around to buy it or not. I’d say only way that’ll happen will be if the go the SOE route like in SWG.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Araziel.7201

OP just look into ArcheAge. It will have the naval battles and some aerial stuff. They are adding submarines in the next patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rM0rDgU2AAM

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

GW2 is going slowly and silently into the night. I wouldn’t expect to see any type of change to this game until they freak out at the end and it’s too late.

that’s what ppl kept saying about GW1 but it only sold more and more copies as the years went on :p

It’s first 2 years IIRC, only sold about a million copies even with factions. Then by its 7th year it was up to 8 million I think… Now this one’s up to 3 million even without any expansions. …which I think coincidentally might be BAD for its long term “vision”.

Though I’m willing to reserve final judgment for atleast 5 years out…

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Rift had some really great things going for it. The raids were decent once they worked out the bugs, and they had easily the BEST dungeons of any MMO i have ever played (be it the 1-2 person or 5 person modes). Open world pvp and pvp dailies were really, really fantastic. It also had a really nice macro/assist system.

It failed hard at the gear grind and class balancing. Ultimately, attaining max level pvp gear meant you could slaughter anyone by breathing on them, and the classes were buffed on a very intentional “lets create a fotm” rotation. this, combined with the release of SWTOR and later GW2, pretty much caused the player base to abandon ship.

GW2 for the most part got the gear grind right and doesnt intentionally seem to make fotm classes, but they are slow on class changes and havent exactly been on-the-ball. I think they underestimated the popularity WvW would take on when they created a game that has no real end-game (essentially, WvW becomes the endgame, unless you are a gold farmer or sPvPer). Not expecting this, plus the negative impact of free transfers, bad server ranking system, taking forever to fix culling and develop pvp ladders, lack of new WvW maps and objectives, and leaving thieves with unlimited vanishes… everyone I know who has quit this game has quit because of these issues.

It’s still a really great game, but I’ve never seen so many people quit an MMO over lack of PvP attention until this game.

tl;dr, combining the positive aspects of these games is easier said than done. you cant have Rifts raiding with GW2’s no-trinity action combat (and arguably no-gear-grind mentality), and the last thing you want is more complicated classes with a slower balancing team. because we cant see player names, deathspam, let alone duel, there will probably never, ever be meaningful openworld pvp in GW2, and that breaks my heart.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

What’s this you trying to say that you can’t say with your own words? You confuse me.

Go play GW:Nightfall

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

Rift + GW2 equals Wildstar. NCSoft was one step ahead of you.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

Trinity? No thanks.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Soze.7341

Soze.7341

I dunno about WoW killer but………..I like that Rift has more class/soul options. I mean heck, even Dark Age of Camelot has 48, yes Forty-Eight classes, and that MMO was released in 2003. You might say “Dang 48 classes that musta been hard to balance for pvp/pve”, but actually DAoC is regarded as the best MMO for overall large scale and small scale PvP ever made, largely due to groups being balanced and diverse at the same time.

I know I went a lil’ off topic, but what is with modern day MMO’s only having 5-6-7 classes to choose from?-x

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I really like the attitude they have in the Wildstar video sketches, but the pixar art style is really going to make the game hard to care about. Also, 2 faction system might kill it before its even born.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

What I like about Rift is slightly different then what you like altho events were one of them:

1. I do however love the AA system they expanded upon it when I left.
  2. Saboteur class can throw AOE bombs and doesn’t have to press the same button more than three times for a setup BOOM! (ahem Engineer Grenade kit could learn from this example)
  3. Mobile Apps
  4. Lottery Mobile apps that give gear currency and end game crafting currency as rewards.
  5. Fishing (with everything)
  6. Trinity (definitely the best healing classes even ones that heal while attacking and doing damage)
  7. The autogroup event feature. (no more clicking on someone and trying to party up in Orr)
  8. Planar Attunement (post max level advancement)
  9. The amount of choices per class. (Every class can truly perform every role in that game. Rogue Tanks anyone?)
  10. the NonFreemium model of shops. (requiring a sub for anything)
  11. Advanced Housing (also another I agree with you on)

And finally one of the best things is the closeness of the Devs to the customers asking them what they want in the game and delivering it ever single time, they’ve shown that delay tactics, low quantity content, extreme content bulge when it comes to the economy doesn’t have to belong in the games anymore. I feel they are truly keeping up with the times.’

What I like about GW2 (Oops)

• The landscape is beautiful, the most beautiful game I’ve seen actually complete with atmospherics.
  • Karma for armor sets
  • Speedy Crafting of refined materials the more you make
  • Armor and Weapons look great
  • Cities
  • downscaling
  • Combat Zone combos
  • Hybrid Targeting (i hate NW for this right now, no mouse just a target circle in the middle)
  • Race Lore
  • The unique combat between the classes (one of the ways Rift has made a deal with the devil so to speak to make their class system work is to make certain class roles act the same in certain ways, you can go thru and see this in their setup, GW2 not so much the only similarity I’ve see is how they use the #1 skills too much with bows and shortbow. My combat on my engi is nothing like it is on my thief.)
Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

So in other words raiding shouldn’t even be an option for players, and anyone who likes raiding should quit GW2 and/or go die in a ditch.

Seriously? Why do people insist that GW2 must cater to a certain type of audience, why can’t it expand? It’s not as if adding a raid would remove anything that you like in the game, I cannot wrap my head around these utterly selfish ideas.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

I really like the attitude they have in the Wildstar video sketches, but the pixar art style is really going to make the game hard to care about. Also, 2 faction system might kill it before its even born.

These are all fair points, but I think the marketing personality they are presenting to adults and young adults will ultimately draw players in. I do find the art style attractive, however I realize some people don’t and that could be a deciding factor for their success.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Cercie.1025

Cercie.1025

If Anet ever did something LIKE raiding, one idea is that they could make something like a WvWvW map with a chain of events instead of just capture and control. Champion mobs everywhere, maybe even some of the lesser dragons attacking. A full scale Mist War. Not to mention you’d still have other servers in the mix. You could possibly be forced to join forces to stop the NPC’s or side with them. But anything that complex would have to wait for some major game fixes first.

I don’t think any game can come right out and kill WoW. That game has a decade’s worth of content, but it’s not aging well. WoW is likely to just die of old age as other games come out with new features and new experiences. A good idea is to find a game you like and give it a chance to grow and see what it’s like in a few years. No game has to kill WoW, it only has to keep you from thinking bout WoW. And then one day, WoW will be the last thing on your mind. WoW is like the Simpsons, it’s done just about everything. Who really cares in the end? We don’t play other games because they’re like it, otherwise not just play it instead? We like the medieval fantasy element. WoW just happens to be established, but it’s not the end all be all. It certainly didn’t invent elves or orcs.

The thing with recent games having less features makes me wonder too. I like to think it’s a bottlenecking issue with how much information is processed, but I’m not so sure. Lack of character creation options, lack of class variety. There’s a lot of games out there that can’t balance style and substance. Some want to look special but offer nothing deep. Others are very complex, but often overlooked because they’re not attractive to the average gamer. One of the biggest things I’ve noticed is a game will have one awesome element to it, but really lack in all other places. Newer developers should go back to the roots of mmo’s and not be afraid to tread old ground to find out what brought people to mmo gaming to begin with. Changing everything that once worked isn’t always a good thing. People like to be able to identify with what they play. If its familiar ground they enjoy it, as long as it offers enough variety to set itself apart.

GW2 has a lot of potential as long as they don’t drown it in temporary events and keep expanding the known world. We’ve only seen a small fraction of the actual world map, but it doesn’t mean they’ll ever release it all. They just have a lot to work with.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Bah, the biggest WoW killer was WoW itself when they brought in kungkittenpandas.

Edit: Now why did that get kittened?

Theftwind (HoD)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

I always thought of Rift as kind of a mid-point in the evolution of MMOs from the traditional WoW type to what we see in GW2. At least in regards to solo PvE, questing, events etc.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Rift is a great game tbh.
I’m playing less gw 2 and more rift nowadays until anet fixes the one shot champs anyway.
pve end game in gw 2 has become less fun now.
I hope anet fixes that in the future otherwise i prob wont be buying there future expansions.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

“wow killer” lowl
focusing a mmo on on “killing” wow wont make ot a good mmo make a game with good mechanics etc and i you think that any mmo will emerge and just drain an imense number of wow subs you’re wrong. If wow has to die it’ll by itself.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So in other words raiding shouldn’t even be an option for players, and anyone who likes raiding should quit GW2 and/or go die in a ditch.

Seriously? Why do people insist that GW2 must cater to a certain type of audience, why can’t it expand? It’s not as if adding a raid would remove anything that you like in the game, I cannot wrap my head around these utterly selfish ideas.

Because a lot of players started playing GW2 exact for the reason that there is no Raiding and no endless gear grind. Also there are so many other games that cater to the raiders, why must they try to turn every other game in another EQ or WoW clone ?

Btw. i left Rift after 5 months when i noticed that it was in the end just another dungeon and raid-grinder and you only got crap for fighting invasions in the open world at max level. I played then Champions Online until GW2 was released since i never again wanted to play a gear-grinder.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

lmaonade.9207

Because a lot of players started playing GW2 exact for the reason that there is no Raiding and no endless gear grind. Also there are so many other games that cater to the raiders, why must they try to turn every other game in another EQ or WoW clone ?

Btw. i left Rift after 5 months when i noticed that it was in the end just another dungeon and raid-grinder and you only got crap for fighting invasions in the open world at max level. I played then Champions Online until GW2 was released since i never again wanted to play a gear-grinder.

I give exactly 0 kittens about gear grinding, there is none in GW2 so that’s a good thing. But why on earth would someone specifically look for a game without Raids? If raids aren’t your thing then you don’t have to participate in it, so unless a game completely revolves around raids I don’t see what’s the harm in having a few as an option for different players with different tastes.

Gear grinding is totally different because it affects every player, but raiding is a piece of content, if GW2 doesn’t force you to do it for exclusive rewards I don’t see why the game shouldn’t have it.
Please reason with me, why should GW2 not have raids or some equivalent? If the answer is “because certain people don’t want it” then that’s the crappiest answer ever, I’m sure some people didn’t want dungeons, why were they included in release? I’m sure some people didn’t want dungeon-crawling, why was fractals released? I’m sure some people didn’t want gear tiers past exotic, why was Ascended gear released? The fact is that adding a raid can only add to the game, it can’t take anything away. I’m not asking Anet to suddenly change their agenda to accommodate raiders, they can keep their current target audience, but why are you and many others so adverse to having more options?

(edited by lmaonade.9207)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Galphar.3901

It depends on your definition of a “Raid”. IF by raid you mean a 10-man+ instance then fine. If by raid you mean A 10-man+ instance that you need to grind for gear in order to “progress” then HELL NO! Personally, I’d like to see ANet bring back Underworld &Fissure of Woe.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

I think Chris Whiteside has pretty much confirmed that a “Answer” or form of “Raiding” will becoming to Guildwars 2 in the near future. (Evidence:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1g0zqb/tc_fireside_chat_with_former_lead_producer_in_la/) So that is something “Good” that you wanted to see added to Gw2. However why does this game need to be a “WoWKiller” why does the death of another game even matter? I have no quarrels with people playing WoW for enjoyment and I see no bases for wanting it to end.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

Some people like a mindless game that takes no skill to play,you can craft your end game gear,you can farm mats for your legendary,but only for an hour before DR kicks in.You can run around during the special events looking for that special rng item,good luck there,or you can buy that special rng item in the cash shop.So please stay with gw2,you couldn’t handle Rift.So flame away at me,i dont care,ive played GW2 since beta.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I dunno about WoW killer but………..I like that Rift has more class/soul options. I mean heck, even Dark Age of Camelot has 48, yes Forty-Eight classes, and that MMO was released in 2003. You might say “Dang 48 classes that musta been hard to balance for pvp/pve”, but actually DAoC is regarded as the best MMO for overall large scale and small scale PvP ever made, largely due to groups being balanced and diverse at the same time.

I know I went a lil’ off topic, but what is with modern day MMO’s only having 5-6-7 classes to choose from?-x

IMO rift had less class options than GW2.
In GW2 you have 8 professions, each with 5 trait lines
In Rift you had 4 classes, each with 8 Souls
Rift limits you to only three trait lines per build.
GW2 allows you to spend traits wherever you want.
Rifts trinity meant that not all souls worked well together.
GW2s lack of trinity means that there are always new ways of coming up with a build that works in any given situation.
I’d take GW2s professions, low gear progression, light trinity and action combat over Rifts restrictive system any day of the week.
I’d take WvW over PvE raiding any day of the week.

Edit: correct number of professions for gw2

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Galphar.3901

In GW2 you have 11 professions, each with 5 trait lines

I’d like to know what the other 3 professions are in GW2.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

IMO rift had less class options than GW2.
In Rift you had 4 classes, each with 8 Souls
Rift limits you to only three trait lines per build.
GW2 allows you to spend traits wherever you want.
Rifts trinity meant that not all souls worked well together.
GW2s lack of trinity means that there are always new ways of coming up with a build that works in any given situation.
I’d take GW2s professions, low gear progression, light trinity and action combat over Rifts restrictive system any day of the week.
I’d take WvW over PvE raiding any day of the week.

4 professions with 8 soul classes = 32 Classes in Rift.
(that’s not counting the extra ones you can buy in there store)
Much more variety than gw 2
Don’t know why your saying rift has less classes than gw 2?
You can even change spec in rift depending on the class by buying roles,so one min a thief next a ranger with a click of a button.
(that’s something i really like as you don’t have to keep lvling up certain chars)

Gw 2 traits are for one class only,and even then rift has the better options imo.
Also rift you can spread them across three classes or just max on a class plus a few points in another class.
again more variety.

Don’t get me wrong i still like gw2,but rift does have more variety and classes than gw 2 by a long shot,and now it’s f2p i put it on the same par as gw 2.
both have there advanges and disadvantages,i just think rift has the better options/ classes and better end game.
where gw 2 had the better gameplay.
oh btw gw 2 has 8 classes or professions depends how you look at it.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

I see this sentiment a lot on these forums and I just don’t understand it. Raiding is so anathema to some people that it can’t even exist in the game they’re playing.

I’m not into PvP, so what I do when I play an MMO that has PvP is to simply not do it and instead do things I like. PvP has had more of an affect on the games I’ve played because of balance than the other way around, yet it’s never made me quit.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Galphar.3901

I see this sentiment a lot on these forums and I just don’t understand it. Raiding is so anathema to some people that it can’t even exist in the game they’re playing.

I’m not into PvP, so what I do when I play an MMO that has PvP is to simply not do it and instead do things I like. PvP has had more of an affect on the games I’ve played because of balance than the other way around, yet it’s never made me quit.

The reason most people don’t like Raids is because they think that it’ll mean gear progression like WoW. That’s why I said I’d rather see UnderWorld and Fissure of Woe brought back like they were in GW. You go to UW to farm mats for Obsidian Armor and you go to FoW to craft your Obsidian armor. And Obsidian Armor wouldn’t have any better stats than the rest of the Armor you can get, just a different look and it’s harder to get.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’d like to know what the other 3 professions are in GW2.

Meh.
I was going from memory, posting from a mobile device at work. It’s still better than Rift. I hated playing a rogue in Rift when half of the souls were taken up by ranged, tank and support souls. As a melee rogue you had three choices, Assassin, Nightblade and Bladedancer. It gave the illusion of variety without having much variety.

Rift – 4 classes with 8 Souls
GW2 – 8 professions with 5 trait lines
GW2 still wins with number of options because you don’t have dedicated roles wasting space.

The only thing I enjoyed about Rift was the level 5-20 Zone events and the invasions. Once I left the level 5-20 zone it the epicness dropped off and the game got boring real quick.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

lmaonade.9207

The reason most people don’t like Raids is because they think that it’ll mean gear progression like WoW. That’s why I said I’d rather see UnderWorld and Fissure of Woe brought back like they were in GW. You go to UW to farm mats for Obsidian Armor and you go to FoW to craft your Obsidian armor. And Obsidian Armor wouldn’t have any better stats than the rest of the Armor you can get, just a different look and it’s harder to get.

I would definitely welcome something like UW or FoW, but the main thing I’m hoping for is challenging content done with more than a party’s worth of people, something along the lines of Urgoz’s Warren. Guild bounties are a step in the right direction for me, but it’s still only a single target objective. If that sort of concept can be expanded to a whole instance then it would be perfect.

Meh.
I was going from memory, posting from a mobile device at work. It’s still better than Rift. I hated playing a rogue in Rift when half of the souls were taken up by ranged, tank and support souls. As a melee rogue you had three choices, Assassin, Nightblade and Bladedancer. It gave the illusion of variety without having much variety.

Rift – 4 classes with 8 Souls
GW2 – 8 professions with 5 trait lines
GW2 still wins with number of options because you don’t have dedicated roles wasting space.

The only thing I enjoyed about Rift was the level 5-20 Zone events and the invasions. Once I left the level 5-20 zone it the epicness dropped off and the game got boring real quick.

the 5 trait lines are poor methods of differentiation imo, since you can have numerous amounts of different trait combinations that play more or less the same exact way as each other.

the way i see it, in 5 trait lines you can get maybe 3 distinctive roles (defense, offense, and support)

(edited by lmaonade.9207)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

lol.. a game don’t need to be any game killer to be good….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

If only there was an amazing game with great graphics, tons of detail and character creation, mounts, pvp, pve, minions, you could change your class with 1 click, and an amazing customer support service…. With chocobos… JK

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Yes, GW2 offers an enjoyable WvW experience, and Rift offers an enjoyable PvE experience. If the two games were combined, I would probably crap my pants in joy.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Araziel.7201

If only there was an amazing game with great graphics, tons of detail and character creation, mounts, pvp, pve, minions, you could change your class with 1 click, and an amazing customer support service…. With chocobos… JK

Hehe, were you in the beta too?

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I played Rift. I alpha tested it and played from beta 4. I had max level characters, did all the dungeons, was raid ready and I hope to never play that game again. It had good points, but that doesn’t make it a good game for my play style.

Don’t go and say people are scared of what’s different because they don’t enjoy what you enjoy.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

There is no way GW2 offers anything remotely close to Rift in terms of Class
differentiation

The amount of specs available in Rift is absolutely silly.

Not only did you have the “pure builds” you had all the hybrid ones as well.

I can actually name some of the “builds” off that were played back then on Mages

44 Necro
32 Necro/32 Warlock
32 Necro/32 Dom
44 Pyro/11 Necro (this was nerfed early on)
32 Storm Caller/32 Warlock
32 pyro/32 Warlock
51 Pyro
51 Stormcaller
32 Chloro/32 Dom
32 Dom/16 Chloro/16 PvP Soul
51 Archon
32 Pyro/32 Elementalist
32 Ele/32 Warlock

Thats all the ones i can think of off the top of my head only for Mage, there are more…

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Hehe, were you in the beta too?

Yep Luckily the drool didn’t ruin my keyboard :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

One of the things I hated about Rift was the soul system. Not because of the variety, which was pretty good, but because I never “felt” my character. Okay I’m a tank, okay now I’m a DPS guy, okay now I’m a healer.

Because the skills you have, in my mind, determine who my character is. In Guild Wars 1 I had three warriors. One used a hammer, one a sword and one an axe, because those weapons fit that character. It’s who they were.

In Guild Wars 2, I feel far more attached to my characters than I ever did in Rift, because I never got to know my character in Rift. The story was generic (everyone in my faction had the same starting zone I did) and the builds made me generic, so it was very easy to leave the game.

Guild Wars 1 was better at making me feel my character than Guild Wars 2 is, but I still have far more attachment to my Guild Wars 2 characters than I ever did to my Rift characters. In fact, I only remember one of my Rift characters, but I still never really got an idea of who he was, because he was always changing.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There is no way GW2 offers anything remotely close to Rift in terms of Class
differentiation

The amount of specs available in Rift is absolutely silly.

Not only did you have the “pure builds” you had all the hybrid ones as well.

I can actually name some of the “builds” off that were played back then on Mages

44 Necro
32 Necro/32 Warlock
32 Necro/32 Dom
44 Pyro/11 Necro (this was nerfed early on)
32 Storm Caller/32 Warlock
32 pyro/32 Warlock
51 Pyro
51 Stormcaller
32 Chloro/32 Dom
32 Dom/16 Chloro/16 PvP Soul
51 Archon
32 Pyro/32 Elementalist
32 Ele/32 Warlock

Thats all the ones i can think of off the top of my head only for Mage, there are more…

There are at several times that many builds available to just an Elementalist focussing on fire and dual daggers.

Multiply that by four elements…

Multiply that by the five weapon combination options…

and Elementalist alone has probably in the neighborhood of eighty to one hundred times as many builds as you list.

but I still never really got an idea of who he was, because he was always changing.

Isnt this pretty much possible in GW2 as well ? Switching from support to tank to DPS with little effort ?

(edited by Ashen.2907)