GW2 Sales 2Q16: a new All Time Low

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

When you see threads where players lament about how easy world bosses are, about only needing to auto attack, how face roll the content is, how event scaling is only about making bosses bigger bags of HPs, how some wish for more content like the marionette battle, it’s easy too see why the devs thought more mechanic oriented encounters, more intelligent critter AI. The issue is they went from 1st gear to 6th in one shift.

If only they stuck with their original idea for event scaling.

Their failure to do so is one of my biggest disappointments.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I don’t want less time between paying $50. I want the same amount of content for $50 in every package that costs that. HoT did not provide the same quantity for $50 that Core did.

Do you want GW2 to survive for a few more years at least?

Not in the current form no.

That’s fair enough. Do you still play the game that in your opinion is not worth continuing?

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I don’t want less time between paying $50. I want the same amount of content for $50 in every package that costs that. HoT did not provide the same quantity for $50 that Core did.

That’s fair enough. Do you still play the game that in your opinion is not worth continuing?

I play WvW only and that is only because of my guild.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The question I have then is why do you want the game to fail while others still enjoy it? Or do you think those players are experiencing a case of mass delusion?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

morrolan.9608

The question I have then is why do you want the game to fail while others still enjoy it? Or do you think those players are experiencing a case of mass delusion?

I want anet to learn some lessons and do GW3.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Behellagh.1468

I want anet to learn some lessons and do GW3.

Let me guess, you are one of the people who expected GW2 to be just like GW but bigger. Same degree of complexity around traits and professions. Same new expansion every year that was as big as the original game. No cash shop except of things like character slots. And because it’s not you have been rallying against GW2 since launch.

Am I close?

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Let me guess, you are one of the people who expected GW2 to be just like GW but bigger. Same degree of complexity around traits and professions. Same new expansion every year that was as big as the original game. No cash shop except of things like character slots. And because it’s not you have been rallying against GW2 since launch.

Am I close?

I thought that vanilla GW2 was great and did not play GW1.
What I want is some sort of response from the community in regards to what Anet did.

While I no longer play this game, it would be soul crushing to know that completely changing your direction mid an MMO, not delivering on the promises and abandoning parts of the game would be met with a revenue increase.

For the sake of all of you guys playing, I do not want the game to die, even though it no longer will have me as a customer, however I want Anet to realize that going back on their promises is wrong and that they should choose a stable direction for a game that is now all over the place (no matter it is casual or hardcore).

I think that that is what a lot of ex players are seeking here with venting their frustrations out. They want the company to learn and be better at maintaining the game and delivering more content. They do not like the fact that Anet’s response to a fall in revenue is to release the next expansion faster, because that might mean that they will put even less work into it.
This isn’t Wildstar. I don’t think that we’re here to go “oh yes, the game is dying, die faster Guild Wars 2!”, but rather to show that we’re angry and upset with the current mismanagement.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Am I close?

What I want is some sort of response from the community in regards to what Anet did.

While I no longer play this game, it would be soul crushing to know that completely changing your direction mid an MMO, not delivering on the promises and abandoning parts of the game would be met with a revenue increase.

For the sake of all of you guys playing, I do not want the game to die, even though it no longer will have me as a customer, however I want Anet to realize that going back on their promises is wrong and that they should choose a stable direction for a game that is now all over the place (no matter it is casual or hardcore).

I think that that is what a lot of ex players are seeking here with venting their frustrations out. They want the company to learn and be better at maintaining the game and delivering more content. They do not like the fact that Anet’s response to a fall in revenue is to release the next expansion faster, because that might mean that they will put even less work into it.

They didn’t completely change it, you didn’t keep up. Rather they’ve been changing it a bit at a time, gradually all along. It’s been going in this direction since ascended gear was introduced a few months after launch.

Mirta.5029

They didn’t completely change it, you didn’t keep up. Rather they’ve been changing it a bit at a time, gradually all along. It’s been going in this direction since ascended gear was introduced a few months after launch.

oh that explains it why dungeon path still received a rework and people were encouraged to do them and we had no 10 man raids up until HoT!

It also explains why everyone that entered HoT territories found them on a whole another difficulty level that anything else in game (you can argue it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I don’t think that the argument should be about is it a thing at all), because the game was, of course, sloooowly ramping up to it!

Though one thing you did get right – this is not the first time heads of Guild Wars 2 felt free to promise something and then discard the promise as if they never made it. I should have known better sooner about that part.

Really if the next expansion will be more raids, more hard zones, more content for the hardcores, more power to them! Still I think that currently the game is disjointed and they should pick a clear direction.

morrolan.9608

Am I close?

I actually agree with this, the seeds for what the game has become were first sown in that change, however I think those changes were and are a bad thing.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Vayne.8563

oh that explains it why dungeon path still received a rework and people were encouraged to do them and we had no 10 man raids up until HoT!

It also explains why everyone that entered HoT territories found them on a whole another difficulty level that anything else in game (you can argue it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I don’t think that the argument should be about is it a thing at all), because the game was, of course, sloooowly ramping up to it!

Though one thing you did get right – this is not the first time heads of Guild Wars 2 felt free to promise something and then discard the promise as if they never made it. I should have known better sooner about that part.

Really if the next expansion will be more raids, more hard zones, more content for the hardcores, more power to them! Still I think that currently the game is disjointed and they should pick a clear direction.

Raids represent a tiny, tiny portion of this game, and even represent a tiny tiny portion of the expansion. There is exactly one raid, delivered in three wings, over nine months. This is not exactly something to write home about. The raid as it exists is still smaller than full raids in many other game.s. The raids didn’t take over the game.

However, the complaints about grinding for stuff like ascended gear, and the harder content that has been coming into the game, with harder achievements has been here since the beginning.

Living Story Season 1 was arguably the worst grind because it was time limited. People had a month to get what they wanted and then it was gone forever. How is that friendly to casual players?

Living Story Season 2 had hard bosses and hard acheivements with an armor set locked behind it that you could only get if you banged away at it.

Mawdrey was a long adventure/grind type thing very similar to precursor crafting and some of the other collections.

This game has been moving in a direction like this for a long long time. You complained about some stuff, took a break, and came back to the same game. It seems more sudden to you because you left and came back. I’ve watched it happen gradually.

Do you know why I didn’t find HoT to hard? Because I did all the achievements in Living World Season 2, and before that in Living World Season 1. This is just more of the same.

One raid doesn’t make this a raid game. I don’t even like the raid, but that’s nothing to do with the game changing or not changing. This game started changing the moment Anet introduced ascended gear.

Vayne.8563

Am I close?

I actually agree with this, the seeds for what the game has become were first sown in that change, however I think those changes were and are a bad thing.

I agree that I don’t like ascended gear and never have. Nor do I really love the way the game has changed, but I see WHY it has changed. And I think it probably did have to change, though how that change could have been handled better is a matter for speculation.

I don’t like this game as much as I did early on too. But before ascended gear was introduced, I saw a lot of people level to 80 get their max gear, have nothing to do and leave. No matter how much content they could produce, without the grind, they couldn’t produce it fast enough to keep people playing.

So six of us would have kept playing, eight of us would have left. It was a decision that had to be made. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

It also doesn’t mean I don’t find a lot enjoyable in the game, even if the game is less for me than it used to be. I’m not the only player. And I don’t believe my play style is the majority play style.

That’s probably the difference between me and some other more casual players who think they’re they have some sort of majority.

Mirta.5029

Raids represent a tiny, tiny portion of this game, and even represent a tiny tiny portion of the expansion. There is exactly one raid, delivered in three wings, over nine months. This is not exactly something to write home about. The raid as it exists is still smaller than full raids in many other game.s. The raids didn’t take over the game.

One raid doesn’t make this a raid game. I don’t even like the raid, but that’s nothing to do with the game changing or not changing. This game started changing the moment Anet introduced ascended gear.

they actively said that they’re turning away from making dungeons and turning towards making raids and more fractals. Whether the raid is something to write home about or not, it has replaced dungeons and it is part of Guild Wars 2 present and possibly is the new direction for the future. How is that not a direction change?

Do you know why I didn’t find HoT to hard? Because I did all the achievements in Living World Season 2, and before that in Living World Season 1. This is just more of the same.

How many people do you think bothered to do all of the achievements? Still doesn’t change the fact that people entering HoT from vanilla zones found it a much harder place. You know how you do slow ramp up? You buff some vanilla zones (we had the opposite, Orr had a mob nerf right after launch pretty much and Southsun Cove received the same), you add transition zones that people are expected to navigate alone (Silverwastes and Dry Top could have fit that requirement, but they are pure farm zones with farm trains, meaning people are unlikely to explore alone and encounter enemies alone), then you add HoT zones. And the ramp up wouldn’t feel 1 to 10 anymore. As a sudden ramp up was felt, it would indicate that it wasn’t a slow change for your average player. Meaning the game did turn towards being harder.

I’ve seen you argue over multiple threads about how it is a good thing. And it may be a fine direction. However you can’t just make a jump like Anet did, because it does send a very mixed message who is your game for and what it is about.

Behellagh.1468

Am I close?

This isn’t Wildstar. I don’t think that we’re here to go “oh yes, the game is dying, die faster Guild Wars 2!”, but rather to show that we’re angry and upset with the current mismanagement.

I’ve been playing since Dec 1st, 2012, and I have not seen this so called change in direction that some are claiming has happen.

Well, that’s not true, HoT was a departure from what I thought made Central Tyria great but the last couple of patches has redeemed a fair part of it. But at the core this game is still super casual for PvE players, so much so that playing any other MMO has me wishing those were more like GW2.

I see a studio that plays with the MMO formula in interesting ways, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, trying to find a place where their vision about the game aligns with that of the player while still paying the bills with a B2P business model.

Were their missteps, heck yes. Did it take “too long” to correct some of those, sure. But I don’t think the game is no longer what I bought in December 2012. I still think it’s fundamentally the same game.

RIP City of Heroes

Mirta.5029

Were their missteps, heck yes. Did it take “too long” to correct some of those, sure. But I don’t think the game is no longer what I bought in December 2012. I still think it’s fundamentally the same game.

you see that is where we differ. A lot of players in this thread feel like it’s not what they bought in 2012. And they should not be persecuted with a “you have always been a hater, admit it!” attitude.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I think change in the game is a good thing. At least for me. Doing the same old same old might be great for those who mindlessly re-run silverwastes/queensdale champ farms/frostgorge champ farms/endless dungeon runs. But if it was going to be like that all the time I would probably be bored by now.

And yeah, Arenanet make alot of mistakes because they take risks in chasing potentially exciting ideas. But to me that’s the charm of the game. You never know what will hit the game and where and what kind of new ideas are to be found when it happens.

And sometimes it’s challenging to adapt to that, like with Heart of Thorns. (I found it pretty difficult at first too.) But now going through tangled depth for example is so easy and natural that I don’t even know how I thought it was hard to get through the zone.

But yeah, if that frustrates you at any given moment and you stop playing, then that is it really. You can only come back to actually see what is new, or give up on playing it all together. Any discussion on what the game is, is worthless if you don’t keep up.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The question I have then is why do you want the game to fail while others still enjoy it?

The same reason you want it to succeed while others don’t enjoy it: selfishness. Or are you going to pretend that your preferences inherently carry more weight than the person to whom you addressed this question?

Or do you think those players are experiencing a case of mass delusion?

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to be more specific if you earnestly want to foster discussion. As is, your ad hominem is too vague to illicit an actual reply.

darkace.8925

I’ve been playing since Dec 1st, 2012, and I have not seen this so called change in direction that some are claiming has happen.

Then you haven’t been paying attention. Like, at all. Or worse, you have but you’ve deluded yourself into thinking what’s been very clear, very obvious to everyone for years isn’t actually so. If you had been paying attention, or if you’d been capable of being honest with yourself, these are some of the changes in direction you would have noticed:
– “everyone should have the best statistical gear by the time they hit level 80” -> ascended gear
– “cosmetic skins are the end game” -> more and more weapon and outfit skins added to the cash shop
– “we don’t make grindy games” -> masteries and gates in HOT
– “have fun now, not later” -> masteries and gates in HOT
– “we’re fine if you take breaks from our game” -> limited availability of LS season 1
– “the only criteria for our content is ‘is it fun?’” -> run around a zone in a giant zerg auto-attacking for stacks of bags of loot
– “we want our players to work together in DEs” -> those of you who want Legendaries must compete with players who just want to complete DEs as intended

There are more examples, of course (many of them), but I suspect this has illustrated the point adequately enough.

Vayne.8563

they actively said that they’re turning away from making dungeons and turning towards making raids and more fractals. Whether the raid is something to write home about or not, it has replaced dungeons and it is part of Guild Wars 2 present and possibly is the new direction for the future. How is that not a direction change?

How many people do you think bothered to do all of the achievements? Still doesn’t change the fact that people entering HoT from vanilla zones found it a much harder place. You know how you do slow ramp up? You buff some vanilla zones (we had the opposite, Orr had a mob nerf right after launch pretty much and Southsun Cove received the same), you add transition zones that people are expected to navigate alone (Silverwastes and Dry Top could have fit that requirement, but they are pure farm zones with farm trains, meaning people are unlikely to explore alone and encounter enemies alone), then you add HoT zones. And the ramp up wouldn’t feel 1 to 10 anymore. As a sudden ramp up was felt, it would indicate that it wasn’t a slow change for your average player. Meaning the game did turn towards being harder.

I’ve seen you argue over multiple threads about how it is a good thing. And it may be a fine direction. However you can’t just make a jump like Anet did, because it does send a very mixed message who is your game for and what it is about.

Actually, they’ve buffed events a number of times too. Krait were made harder. Toxic spore events exist in many zones and still exist to this day. Dry Top and Silverwastes have harder mobs than other zones.

Anet can’t force people to do the content that’s there. But the content has been slowly ramping up. That is a fact.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Am I close?

Ascended gear was the first step down that slippery slope, and it’s been a steady downhill slide ever since. Well, I know you’ve enjoyed it all, even dancing for the cows and all that inexplicable nonsense, but as for so many of the rest of us, no, not so much. I, too, think the game was by far better at launch than it is now.

I recently bought HoT at half price. Deleted an existing level 80 so I could try a revenant. Meh. STO gave me free character slots with their recent (also free) expansions. BDO has given me free slots with the release of the last two classes. Why must anet be so stingy? It’s almost as if they don’t want people trying their new stuff.

Still, it’s been interesting, finally seeing the new zones. Everything looks good, of course, when you get a moment to take it all in. Gliding is cool, sure. Otherwise the new is wearing off, and fast, because it’s the same events over and over and over just like Silverwastes and Dry Top. To be fair, they did say up front that the new zones were going to be much like those two. Beyond that, having to stop smack dab in the middle of the story until I ground out the required mastery (to get back to the fun stuff, ahem) was unwelcome, jarring, and just plain bad. Pathetic, even. And they did it again in the first episode of LS3!

Also didn’t like it when I was following an event chain, getting close the the end, the bar thing was close to being full… and then suddenly, hey, day shift is over! Night shift is underway! And everything I’d been working toward went poof. Unwelcome, jarring, and just plain bad.

So, here’s my opinion (mine, I tell you, it’s my own!) re HoT and the future of the game if it maintains the present course: I would not like it on a boat, I would not like it with a goat, I do not like grind wars and (aoe/knockdown/poison) spam.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The bottom line is this: the ‘expansion’ was little more than downloaded content that was rushed and not properly tested, and the almost year-long content drought that followed didn’t help either.

If you sell a product, and then don’t deliver, it has ramifications.

That’s all there is to it.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Behellagh.1468

The question I have then is why do you want the game to fail while others still enjoy it?

The same reason you want it to succeed while others don’t enjoy it: selfishness. Or are you going to pretend that your preferences inherently carry more weight than the person to whom you addressed this question?

Or do you think those players are experiencing a case of mass delusion?

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to be more specific if you earnestly want to foster discussion. As is, your ad hominem is too vague to illicit an actual reply.

No because my position isn’t about wanting to deny someone something they enjoy. It’s the attitude of “those people are having fun in the pool but since I don’t I must stop them” that I have an issue with. There are lots of thing I don’t enjoy that others do and I don’t make it my crusade to deny them it. That position isn’t selfishness, it’s sadism.

Then you haven’t been paying attention. Like, at all. Or worse, you have but you’ve deluded yourself into thinking what’s been very clear, very obvious to everyone for years isn’t actually so. If you had been paying attention, or if you’d been capable of being honest with yourself, these are some of the changes in direction you would have noticed:
– “everyone should have the best statistical gear by the time they hit level 80” -> ascended gear
– “cosmetic skins are the end game” -> more and more weapon and outfit skins added to the cash shop
– “we don’t make grindy games” -> masteries and gates in HOT
– “we’re fine if you take breaks from our game” -> limited availability of LS season 1
– “the only criteria for our content is ‘is it fun?’” -> run around a zone in a giant zerg auto-attacking for stacks of bags of loot
– “we want our players to work together in DEs” -> those of you who want Legendaries must compete with players who just want to complete DEs as intended

There are more examples, of course (many of them), but I suspect this has illustrated the point adequately enough.

I did not come from GW. My choice of GW2 was solely driven by the B2P model as I sank over a thousand in my previous MMO only to be rewarded by it’s sudden closure. I wasn’t ever going down that route ever again and F2P MMOs simply had too many paywalls to get anything but a taste of the game. I had seen none of ANet’s videos only a few very positive review at MMO news sites.

Ascended and Fractals, IMO, are the result of two things ANet realized very early on. First it was too easy and quick for players to get exotics armor and weapons. In a game where the business model relied heavily on the cash shop to fund future development, they needed a way to keep players playing and that eventually was time gated ascended crafting.

And to give an in game reason they introduced Fractals, which required agony resistance that is only found or slotable in ascended gear. Also Fractals was the solution to another problem they found very early on, that dungeons were fundamentally broken to an extent that they couldn’t even be salvaged as instanced 5 man content. Couldn’t simply pull them since they were needed for the personal story so they created an instanced content hub that players could choose difficulty levels with fractals. Ideally ANet would add additional fractals over time but their eyes were too big for the plate.

While cosmetics for some are the end game, I do see how that conflicts with having some in the cash shop. After all GW had that as well.

As we level from 1 to 80 we gain new abilities and access to new areas of the game. I saw masteries the same way since it was just a way to add leveling without calling it leveling. I would have made it a tad less flexable in the HoT zone because with the wrong choice of what to level next could stop your progress in the story or through the maps cold. It was clunky.

The reward system for the metas in HoT was what made it not “have fun now”. While there are pros and cons to have them run on a train schedule, the fact it was pretty much all or nothing to get decent rewards was what made these metas unbearable to do.

Well MMOs live and die on players playing regularly and one way to do that was to have content that they only had a month to do before it vanished, just like holiday or annual events. This is a prime example of ANet experimenting with the MMO model, a true living world where the world changes over time and there is no going back to do that over.

And yes, they screwed up, sometimes royally like DEs or metas that precursor crafters needed failure to continue. Someone dropped the ball big time there by not realizing they are putting players in situations with cross purposes. But they apologized profusely about that and fixed them.

But I don’t see the fundamental nature of the game; that is B2P; super co-op PvE where you shouldn’t fear seeing another player; instant PvP, PvE not needed; and a multi server capture the flag that includes siege weapons. There were missteps, some blindingly stupid ones where the player base simply shook their collective heads in disbelief. But nothing that every dissuaded me from logging in daily and playing for an hour or two.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i stopped playing a bit after Hot. which i thought was a solid expansion, if it costed 25-30 bucks.
i think the real main issue was that it became clear that gw2 would never expand in the way i would like.
while i enjoy challenging content, i dont enjoy finding people for 10 man content.

goals were too driven by gold earning

content was further and further apart, and less likely to be something i liked. Overall the entire story after release was not a story i found interesting. (mostly the story of the sylvari)

the promises they broke before the expansion, and their inability to deliver after the expansion

it just became really clear what you can expect from gw2, a company cnstantly reworking systems, (mostly to increase grind) while not building on anything they created, with a really slow unsatisfying content pipeline.

many had hoped they could do better if they had an expansion, but apparently they simply arent capable of putting out the quantity and type of content i would expect, no matter what plan they have.

oh yeah the thing about gem stores in games, that often fool developers, its not really the stuff in the gemstore that matters, its how engaged people are in the game. when people are happy and excited in game, they look for ways to enhance their experience. when they are not, they become tightfisted, and eventually quit.

Vayne.8563

Am I close?

Ascended gear was the first step down that slippery slope, and it’s been a steady downhill slide ever since. Well, I know you’ve enjoyed it all, even dancing for the cows and all that inexplicable nonsense, but as for so many of the rest of us, no, not so much. I, too, think the game was by far better at launch than it is now.

I recently bought HoT at half price. Deleted an existing level 80 so I could try a revenant. Meh. STO gave me free character slots with their recent (also free) expansions. BDO has given me free slots with the release of the last two classes. Why must anet be so stingy? It’s almost as if they don’t want people trying their new stuff.

Still, it’s been interesting, finally seeing the new zones. Everything looks good, of course, when you get a moment to take it all in. Gliding is cool, sure. Otherwise the new is wearing off, and fast, because it’s the same events over and over and over just like Silverwastes and Dry Top. To be fair, they did say up front that the new zones were going to be much like those two. Beyond that, having to stop smack dab in the middle of the story until I ground out the required mastery (to get back to the fun stuff, ahem) was unwelcome, jarring, and just plain bad. Pathetic, even. And they did it again in the first episode of LS3!

Also didn’t like it when I was following an event chain, getting close the the end, the bar thing was close to being full… and then suddenly, hey, day shift is over! Night shift is underway! And everything I’d been working toward went poof. Unwelcome, jarring, and just plain bad.

So, here’s my opinion (mine, I tell you, it’s my own!) re HoT and the future of the game if it maintains the present course: I would not like it on a boat, I would not like it with a goat, I do not like grind wars and (aoe/knockdown/poison) spam.

Are you really bringing BDO into this. Have you looked at their forums lately. And the cow thing? That’s not even relevant to this conversation.

BDO right now is so loathed by it’s fan base, they had to make a post to their forums about not making chargebacks because they will take action. BDO is in much worse nick with their fan base than Guild Wars 2 right now.

You don’t like the game changes and that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean other people don’t like them. It doesn’t mean you’re in some sort of majority. And it doesn’t mean there wasn’t plenty of complaining before.

We used to see the game is too easy, now we see the game is too hard. But it really has been getting harder and if you’ve been ignoring that content, you will be left behind.

Games need to progress. If they offer the same level of difficulty forever, then they’re not advancing. The games that are made easier and easier as time goes on, were the games that started too hard and guess what? They lose players too.

There’s simply no way you can prove that if the changes you support were in the game, that the game would be doing better than it is now. It’s your opinion. Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion.

But that’s all it is is your opinion. Other opinions vary.

Vayne.8563

The bottom line is this: the ‘expansion’ was little more than downloaded content that was rushed and not properly tested, and the almost year-long content drought that followed didn’t help either.

If you sell a product, and then don’t deliver, it has ramifications.

That’s all there is to it.

All expansions are just downloaded content. No matter what MMO I’ve played, I’ve bought and expansion and I’ve downloaded content. That’s what expansions for MMOs are.

It may or may not have been rush, it certainly had bugs. Probably not more bugs than Guild Wars 1 had on release though. Hell even the TP didn’t work for the first week. Guesting hadn’t been implemented yet.

Expansions are scheduled to come out when they do for reasons that have nothing to do with the game being to X point or not. That’s the reality of business. It’s why so many expansions are buggy when they come out and they get fixed. My guess is Anet released HoT in a window without major competition by design. As they did with the base game, they fixed it on the fly, and for the most part, they did fix it.

What MMOs sell is a service. As far as I can see the only thing that remains undelivered at this point is legendary armor and the rest of the legendary weapons. But they also delivered things we didn’t expect, even adding gliding to core Tyria, which they originally said they couldn’t do. That to me is worth more legendaries.

I probably won’t be getting legendary armor because of the raid component anyway.

At the end of the day, they delivered on just about all of it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure the CS Team is out-sourced. If one applies for that position, one must live local to the Studio. /shrug

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I’m a WVW focused PVX player. There is currently nothing in gemstores that I care about except shared account slots and perma harvesting tools.

Raids – don’t care, I played EQ, WOW, Rift and few other raid based MMORPGs for many years. I’m done with them, completely and entirely.
Fractals – used to, but after they nerfed my rank 72 down to 50, then reset it wholly again down to 30, I no longer do them and don’t care about anything associated with them.
Guilds – I spent a mad amount of time, effort AND GEMS developing my personal guild, ALL OF WHICH went bye-bye when HoT launched without anything in return, no refunds of any kind, nothing.
My favorite game mode, WVW, was neglected completely for about 3 1/2 years until it almost entirely collapsed. Reward tracks, server links, etc. have barely saved it from having a cardiac arrest, but its still on the brink of coming and going in and out of ICU.
HoT – maps. I hate, and I mean HATE with a passion platformers, platforming and vertical puzzles, and they forced me to do maps like TD ….. Not much else to say about this one. If I wanted this sort of gameplay I’d be playing some of the jumping games available on consoles which are 100x better. I don’t play MMORPGs for the jumping puzzles.
Then they put a jumping puzzle map in WVW ……

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that if they want me to buy gems, then they need to shape up and give me something that I not just want, but consider actually worth spending my money on. And even then, I will not buy anything until its been out for a while and see how it goes for others first, don’t want to make the same mistake I did investing in my personal guild, or resurrection orbs to get rank 72 in original fractals.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Why is everyone so worried about GW2 being at only 15 Billion Won? I think its great and I am sure that Nc Soft would agree with me. One dollar is equal to a little over 1000 Won. In one quarter of a year GW2 raked in profits alone over 13 million dollars (American) That is not small chump change that’s A lot of money for only a quarter year.

So stop worrying GW2 is not designed to bring in a sub fee so it will always be lower than other games. The ability to buy gems with in game gold also has an affect. Anet as long as they hover around or higher than the 15 billion Won will be able to expand GW2 easily.

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Why is everyone so worried about GW2 being at only 15 Billion Won? I think its great and I am sure that Nc Soft would agree with me. One dollar is equal to a little over 1000 Won. In one quarter of a year GW2 raked in profits alone over 13 million dollars (American) That is not small chump change that’s A lot of money for only a quarter year.

So stop worrying GW2 is not designed to bring in a sub fee so it will always be lower than other games. The ability to buy gems with in game gold also has an affect. Anet as long as they hover around or higher than the 15 billion Won will be able to expand GW2 easily.

Only making 13 million in a quarter is a bad sign that as horrible as HoT is, it is killing the fan base, thats why people are worried. It is the worst quarter on record for GW2.

darkace.8925

With all due respect, that’s not how the business world works. Investors want to see profits grow, not stagnate or decline. And given that everyone was expecting a big uptick in the expansion’s wake, this report is anything but good for ArenaNet. I’m not saying ArenaNet’s sky is falling, but trust me, they aren’t thrilled about 15 billion Won.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

HoT – maps. I hate, and I mean HATE with a passion platformers, platforming and vertical puzzles, and they forced me to do maps like TD ….. Not much else to say about this one. If I wanted this sort of gameplay I’d be playing some of the jumping games available on consoles which are 100x better. I don’t play MMORPGs for the jumping puzzles.
Then they put a jumping puzzle map in WVW ……

Hey, we all like what we like, but don’t you think you’re exaggerating a little bit? The core game has a lot more JPs than HoT did, as far as I can tell? Seriously, I keep hearing this “platformer” complaint from various sources. I just don’t see it? Do you literally consider every time you jump and glide in HoT a “jump puzzle” or something?

I really don’t get it at all.

slashlizardy.9167

HoT – maps. I hate, and I mean HATE with a passion platformers, platforming and vertical puzzles, and they forced me to do maps like TD ….. Not much else to say about this one. If I wanted this sort of gameplay I’d be playing some of the jumping games available on consoles which are 100x better.

Tongu, you are so right! Whenever I am in a HoT map, I still feel like I am playing SAB.

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

DOOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Milhouse? Is that you?

slashlizardy.9167

Nah, its not all doom and gloom just yet, LOL. If only anet fixes HoT and makes the game good again, it will be fine.

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Those numbers are SALES, not PROFITS.

Sales figures are irrelevant. A company can makes 13 millions in sales an still be in the red at the end of the fiscal year. Another company can makes 500.000 in sales in a year and be quite profitable.

What really matter is the net profits a company makes. Not the sales.

The only thing those numbers tells us is that their sales dropped a lot since previous quarter. And 50% drop in sales is not good news.

(edited by Blanche Neige.7241)

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I will concede from the beginning that I am a tad obsessive, so bear with me, I am going to try and address these comments line by line.

Colin straight up acknowledged that they were changing from idea of having the best gear by lvl 80. He explained their logic in an interview post. I would be hard pressed to find it now but I certainly remember it. That goal is no longer the case with ascended gear

- “cosmetic skins are the end game” -> more and more weapon and outfit skins added to the cash shop

This game is still very much about cosmetics, and the fact that ANET has in the past and continues to add outfits and various skins in the gemstone does not detract from that. It is part of their business model and if the game is going to continue, they have to be able to make a profit off the gem store. However they continue to release A LOT of various skins available by playing and completing various content.

As for skins being end game, I will address that in the following comment.

- “we don’t make grindy games” -> masteries and gates in HOT

The community was very vocal about needing additional endgame content & progression. The frequency that I see these kinds of comments makes me wonder if most people either don’t know about the CDI or have already forgotten about it. I would suggest you go reread them but there are collectively over 20k posts so a comprehensive read through is prohibitive at this point. But you might try skimming them to get a feel for what we as a community asked for. So much of the design in HoT progression (i.e. masteries and elite specs) is exactly what was discussed in those CDI regarding endgame progression. Some (like me) like it, others hate it but either way I think it is unfair to lay this entirely on ANET when they were very intentionally trying to provide what the community asked for, much in the way that it was requested.

- “the only criteria for our content is ‘is it fun?’” -> run around a zone in a giant zerg auto-attacking for stacks of bags of loot

If you don’t find it fun, don’t do it! Fun is an exceptionally difficult target because of such a diverse population of players. They do what they can with mechanics to keep game encounters diverse but collective gamer ingenuity supersedes that of developers simply because of the absolute numbers. I will make a generalization here and apologize if it offends. Overall Gamers are lazy, we prefer the easiest/most effective way to do things which is how metas evolve and game mechanics devolve, some gamer finds the easiest way to do something and it catches on. Hence Zerging.

However some of this is also learned from the community. In part this goes back to the LS1 and the map wide events that were popular. Part of developing HoT was providing more map wide events in hopes that they would be similarly enjoyed.

- “we want our players to work together in DEs” -> those of you who want Legendaries must compete with players who just want to complete DEs as intended

They have aid repeatedly that they DON’T want dynamic events to be the cause of discord and competition among players. The event complete vs. event fail conflict is an unintentional flaw in the design that they work to fix where it is brought up.

Yes the game has changed over the past 4 years. Yes there are plenty of changes from the original implementation that you have not mentioned here. However I do think you have entirely neglected the role of the community on that process. That almost certainly will not appease those who hate the changes, but I think that ANET should not be on the receiving end of inflammatory rhetoric about changes as if they had enacted those changes entirely one sided.

As someone else mentioned previously, the game has to change over time. Whether one considers that a change in direction and vision of the game is subjective.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I will concede from the beginning that I am a tad obsessive, so bear with me, I am going to try and address these comments line by line.

Colin straight up acknowledged that they were changing from idea of having the best gear by lvl 80. He explained their logic in an interview post. I would be hard pressed to find it now but I certainly remember it. That goal is no longer the case with ascended gear

- “cosmetic skins are the end game” -> more and more weapon and outfit skins added to the cash shop

This game is still very much about cosmetics, and the fact that ANET has in the past and continues to add outfits and various skins in the gemstone does not detract from that. It is part of their business model and if the game is going to continue, they have to be able to make a profit off the gem store. However they continue to release A LOT of various skins available by playing and completing various content.

As for skins being end game, I will address that in the following comment.

- “we don’t make grindy games” -> masteries and gates in HOT

The community was very vocal about needing additional endgame content & progression. The frequency that I see these kinds of comments makes me wonder if most people either don’t know about the CDI or have already forgotten about it. I would suggest you go reread them but there are collectively over 20k posts so a comprehensive read through is prohibitive at this point. But you might try skimming them to get a feel for what we as a community asked for. So much of the design in HoT progression (i.e. masteries and elite specs) is exactly what was discussed in those CDI regarding endgame progression. Some (like me) like it, others hate it but either way I think it is unfair to lay this entirely on ANET when they were very intentionally trying to provide what the community asked for, much in the way that it was requested.

- “the only criteria for our content is ‘is it fun?’” -> run around a zone in a giant zerg auto-attacking for stacks of bags of loot

If you don’t find it fun, don’t do it! Fun is an exceptionally difficult target because of such a diverse population of players. They do what they can with mechanics to keep game encounters diverse but collective gamer ingenuity supersedes that of developers simply because of the absolute numbers. I will make a generalization here and apologize if it offends. Overall Gamers are lazy, we prefer the easiest/most effective way to do things which is how metas evolve and game mechanics devolve, some gamer finds the easiest way to do something and it catches on. Hence Zerging.

However some of this is also learned from the community. In part this goes back to the LS1 and the map wide events that were popular. Part of developing HoT was providing more map wide events in hopes that they would be similarly enjoyed.

- “we want our players to work together in DEs” -> those of you who want Legendaries must compete with players who just want to complete DEs as intended

They have aid repeatedly that they DON’T want dynamic events to be the cause of discord and competition among players. The event complete vs. event fail conflict is an unintentional flaw in the design that they work to fix where it is brought up.

Yes the game has changed over the past 4 years. Yes there are plenty of changes from the original implementation that you have not mentioned here. However I do think you have entirely neglected the role of the community on that process. That almost certainly will not appease those who hate the changes, but I think that ANET should not be on the receiving end of inflammatory rhetoric about changes as if they had enacted those changes entirely one sided.

As someone else mentioned previously, the game has to change over time. Whether one considers that a change in direction and vision of the game is subjective.

Anet did, “enact those changes entirely one sided.” Unless you can provide an example of a non-dev enacting the changes. “What the community asked for,” means, “what a relatively few people asked for.” Anet made decisions, acted on them, and the results are a mixed bag.

Vayne.8563

With all due respect, that’s not how the business world works. Investors want to see profits grow, not stagnate or decline. And given that everyone was expecting a big uptick in the expansion’s wake, this report is anything but good for ArenaNet. I’m not saying ArenaNet’s sky is falling, but trust me, they aren’t thrilled about 15 billion Won.

Nor is this how the business world works. A company makes many products and people want to see an overall increase. Different products may go up or down at any time. No one invests in Guild Wars 2. People invest in NCsoft, which owns many properties, of which Guild Wars 2 is just one.

Investors aren’t looking at just the performance of Guild Wars 2. Older games are expected to make less anyway.

I’m guessing that Guild Wars 2 has made less than expected, but that they also expected the drop. Mostly because they’ve seen people playing less due to the content drought, having less to do with HoT itself.

People don’t get new content, people stop playing. They knew there was no new content and thus they expected the drop.

I’ve been in and run business where I’ve expected a downturn for a quarter and it was no big deal. I’ve also bit hit with unexpected downturns and those were a big deal.

Only NcSoft really knows if this is terrible or not. I suspect they expected a downturn, but I don’t know how much of a downturn they expected.

It’ll be more interested to see the next quarter, since they put the game on sale for half price. That might have a positive affect on sales, particularly with the LS 3 coming out.

Ashen.2907

A drop in revenue being expected doesnt necessarily mean that it isnt bad for the business. A drop in revenue can be completely foreseeable, expected, predicted, known to be coming far in advance, and still be catastrophic for a business.

That said, a one quarter drop in sales is insufficient grounds for alarm IMO. An indicator, one of many in any business, to pay attention to…yes, of course, but not an indication of doom or death.

slashlizardy.9167

Dude, help us fix the terrible game, the numbers are starting to roll in, and as expected it is looking bad, real bad.

Vayne.8563

Dude, help us fix the terrible game, the numbers are starting to roll in, and as expected it is looking bad, real bad.

I’ll wait for a trend thanks. Because if they fix this game and make it the game you want, I’ll likely leave anyway.

Vayne.8563

A drop in revenue being expected doesnt necessarily mean that it isnt bad for the business. A drop in revenue can be completely foreseeable, expected, predicted, known to be coming far in advance, and still be catastrophic for a business.

That said, a one quarter drop in sales is insufficient grounds for alarm IMO. An indicator, one of many in any business, to pay attention to…yes, of course, but not an indication of doom or death.

A drop in revenue for one quarter is almost always meaningless. It’s unlikely to be a catastrophe. You know the drop is coming, you expect the drop, you change stuff so it goes back up and you eat the drop. That’s mostly how it works.

I’m pretty sure knowing the drop was coming is what was behind the half price sale. Bring in more players, means more gem store sales, etc.

I’m with you on waiting to see anyway. I think it’ll be higher next quarter.

Ashen.2907

But you also speak as if this is widely accepted by all people

This is patently false. When almost every sentence he posted specifically refers to, “me,” or, “I,” he is clearly not speaking for others.

slashlizardy.9167

I’ll wait for a trend thanks. Because if they fix this game and make it the game you want, I’ll likely leave anyway.

Dude, it will be fun, trust me, and if you need any help with the new improved version of the game, I will do all I can to make it work for you.

Vayne.8563

But you also speak as if this is widely accepted by all people

This is patently false. When almost every sentence he posted specifically refers to, “me,” or, “I,” he is clearly not speaking for others.

I think you should probably stop defending people. This is a direct quote from him:

“Dude, help us fix the terrible game, the numbers are starting to roll in, and as expected it is looking bad, real bad.”

He’s saying this is a terrible game, and it needs to be fixed. Not that he doesn’t like it. He’s had many posts and his language leaves little to the imagination. He’s not saying they made changes that other people like that he doesn’t. He’s saying that the game is bad.. Big difference.

Ashen.2907

A significant drop in revenue, even for a single quarter, is never meaningless. If it led to a sale then it was not seen as meaningless to NCsoft or Anet. Something that drives a need (or perceived need) for response has meaning.

But, again, not cause for undue alarm IMO.

Vayne.8563

Dude, it will be fun, trust me, and if you need any help with the new improved version of the game, I will do all I can to make it work for you.

The problem is, I think the game is better now than it was then. Not that it doesn’t have any flaws, and I’d like to see those flaws fixed, but stuff you don’t like I love.

The new zones are absolutely my favorite in the game, particularly TD and VB, though I enjoy Dragon Stand as well. You’re saying they’re no good. You take them out of the game and I’d be massively unhappy.

slashlizardy.9167

A significant drop in revenue, even for a single quarter, is never meaningless. If it led to a sale then it was not seen as meaningless to NCsoft or Anet. Something that drives a need (or perceived need) for response has meaning.

But, again, not cause for undue alarm IMO.

Hear Hear!

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Apparently I wasn’t respectful enough towards Anet with my rant. So sorry, but I can’t post a write up of everything that I’ve said in the video on the forums. So I’m going to repost my message with just the video link:

https://youtu.be/fQFhL5_DJ-Q

and I’ll add the rant in written form into the comment section of said video.

Thanks Mirta, yes Anet completely screwed the pooch by creating what the final result was. It is the only expansion that has caused me to go look up other games.

As someone who did not expect such a horrible expansion, and the numbers are showing it, I feel slightly ashamed to having expected that Anet would deliver a quality product. I was not one of those to ask for what we got, and if I had, I would feel TOTALLY ashamed as it has ruined this community and maybe the welfare of the game developers who rely upon this as a living.

It was also an expansion which brought several of my guildies back to the game. Your opinion and Mirta’s opinion are just that.

But you also speak as if this is widely accepted by all people and I don’t think that’s the case. There are many people who enjoy the HOT expansion. It’s not just me, and a couple of white knights.

We’ve seen quite a few posts by people who like they expansion. They won’t post as often or as intensely as people who don’t like it, but that’s the nature of forums.

White Knight reporting for duty sir!

HoT is an awesome update, except for the lack of playable dwarves!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.