GW2: better than it was.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It becomes a viscious cycle. people go to where the drops are maximized. Empty maps on one hand and zergs so big that you can barely get your damage out fast enough. It doesn’t work as is.

I don’t think its simply a matter of the amount of drops. It’s how and where the drops are distributed too. The current system has you racing to kill as many mobs as possible in a zerg (with MF) to fight the RNG and/or chest hunting.

Why not distribute the loot more evenly through the champions who go untouched?

You’re asking for something that is impossible to give. People will go to where the drops offer the most reward for the least effort – this is what they have been taught to do by other MMOs. If champions present a better loot/effort ratio than world bosses, they will be farmed like the Fire Elemental/Frozen Maw/Jungle Wurm/Shadow Behemoth are now, and those events will be abandoned.

If all events give equal loot, then the TP will be flooded with rares and exotics and their value will drop. Everyone loses.

So either Anet can shuffle the population around or they can watch everyone get bored and quit. There is no winning strategy here.

I just found a hidden jumping puzzle in Sparkfly Fen. I usually don’t care for them, but over the last few months I’ve gotten better at navigating the jumps and so I spent 15 min or so looking around a hidden ruin with a bunch of pillars and platforms. In the end I found a room with a small chest and got a blue somethingerother. I could choose to be upset because I wasn’t rewarded for my efforts and therefore wasted time I could have spent killing mobs and collecting dragon coffers, and perhaps getting a jade ticket or at least a mini worth 20 silver… or I could be pleased that I found something in the game I didn’t know existed and spent a while exploring.

I’m pleased that I found something in the game I didn’t know existed and spent a while exploring. Loot is ridiculously easy to accumulate, I’m more interested in the game as an experience.

Oh, and I think Tequatl made his appearance while I was exploring, so I missed a chance at a couple of rares… like I said, it’s not a big deal.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I don’t think its simply a matter of the amount of drops. It’s how and where the drops are distributed too. The current system has you racing to kill as many mobs as possible in a zerg (with MF) to fight the RNG and/or chest hunting.

This statement I will agree with.
For example. How many reading this knows there is a Champ spider next to the hunting lodge in Queensdale?
I have never seen anyone even attempt to kill it. She just sits there day after day tending to her baby spiders. Yet day after day people swarm over in that area to kill the Wasp queen and the champ boar.
Spreading the loot out is a great idea, but then again it is like the DE system. People will have to be willing to try out these different champs and see if they are worth killing. I bet they won’t bother.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

This statement I will agree with.
For example. How many reading this knows there is a Champ spider next to the hunting lodge in Queensdale?
I have never seen anyone even attempt to kill it. She just sits there day after day tending to her baby spiders. Yet day after day people swarm over in that area to kill the Wasp queen and the champ boar.
Spreading the loot out is a great idea, but then again it is like the DE system. People will have to be willing to try out these different champs and see if they are worth killing. I bet they won’t bother.

Thank you! That was the point I was trying to make all along. There’s so many champs like the one you mentioned. ( and I didn’t know that spider was there either.)

I can’t even begin to tell you how much content I’ve had to walk by. Probably great stuff that I never tried. Ironicly, feeling bored because I’m doing the same old thing again.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I don’t disagree for rewarding players for killing champions, any champions, all champions.

But I am also the type of player that will kill a champion (or try), solo if need be, just because it is a champion. Because it has the audacity to sit there and call itself a champion in the same map I am in.

I still remember as a very new player to GW2 finding a champ spider inside a cave, sitting there, minding its own business, no event, no quest and so to some no point in killing it.

I died 4 times to that spider before I called for help on map chat. And peope came, they didn’t even ask questions and to why. They just came and we killed that spider.

Now again, I don’t type all this because I’m against rewards, but I do think some of you focus to heavily on them. Enjoy the game for what it is. Get into your character a little bit. This IS an RPG and it is created that way.

You the champion, a champion of Tyria and every time you just ‘walk by content’, or walk by a champion monster that monster retains his champion title and IMO you loose yours. Now that’s up to you. Personally, champions die when I see them.

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

While I agree on most things, I do not understand the comment about crafting. Compared to many other MMOs, crafting is actually very well executed in GW2.

crafting is considerably easier than most other mmos but I wouldn’t say it was better executed. Unless you are going for the achievement or a legendary, crafting is ultimately a useless cash sink. Most of what you’ll craft isn’t really worth anything and cost more to make than what you would get selling it. It’s fairly repetitive when trying to discover all possible recipies, you’ll likely out level what you make by the time you can make it and with the exception of exotics you’ll likely find better gear in the field. Not to mention mats gathering is a brain numbingly boring, repetitive and time consuming task thanks to diminishing returns.

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

zones become empty it happens in all mmorpgs. The only zones that aren’t empty are the end game zones or starting zones, but those inbetween are empty because theres no reason why anyone should be there.

All mmo’ are like that.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

zones become empty it happens in all mmorpgs. The only zones that aren’t empty are the end game zones or starting zones, but those inbetween are empty because theres no reason why anyone should be there.

All mmo’ are like that.

since the “end-game” for PvE is the Living Stories and the Dynamic Events. the latter of which is in EVERY zone, thus the end-game is in every zone your statement makes no sense. Since this game is not like “other” mmos

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

All mmo’ are like that.

Except that perfect MMO that everyone used to play and is so much better than the one they’re playing now, but for some reason they don’t play any more… why is that?

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Personal story Its some fun in the begining, but just awful after the story lines converge. It gets repetitive too. Plus who doesn’t want to kill off Traherne?

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssss…
I hate Trahearne.

Who doesn’t?

The Trahearne fan club that responded to a buddy’s forum thread.