GW2 combat is broken

GW2 combat is broken

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It sounds insanely boring to play as a dedicated healer or tank.

I mean I can understand that a healing/tanking fighter would be an idea, but just sitting back and timing heals?

I honestly prefer the concept of everyone having to take the responsibility for healing and support.

Healing power is still a joke in this game and that needs to change though.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

It sounds insanely boring to play as a dedicated healer or tank.

I mean I can understand that a healing/tanking fighter would be an idea, but just sitting back and timing heals?

I honestly prefer the concept of everyone having to take the responsibility for healing and support.

Healing power is still a joke in this game and that needs to change though.

You’ve never healed challenging content, where not only are you expected to heal adequately, you’re also expected to contribute damage while carrying out the mechanics of the fight.

Besides, some people enjoy support roles. In some games, they can be complex enough to stand alone. Not here though.

GW2 combat is broken

ArchonWing.9480

Support roles work fine in wvw, sure it’s pretty lame that only dps matters in PvE but I think it’s honestly more fun that roles aren’t “enforced” in this game.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The CoF effigy fight, in my eyes, is a good example.

You have 2 roles: destroying crystals and damaging the boss. Even if they’re more focused on the damage end, it’s still two roles (that is, your purpose in a fight). You still rely on the player to do their role properly.

However, one of them mechanics (destroying crystals) can simply be ignored through sheer damage (eased along with an unhealthy dose of Poison).

Now, say we tweaked this mechanic so:

• Alongside the (boosted) regen, the crystals also provide stacking damage + condition reduction.
  • Destroying crystals applies a stacking DoT and Vulnerability to the player
  • Bigger crystals occasionally spawn, that if the Effigy consumes it, it gains a barrier.

So, instead of just the damage aspect, we also have:

• Control – Stopping the effigy from going by the big crystal.
  • Awareness of party members – knowing when to swap.

And here you highlight why much of this is a player-side problem.

Because initially, the Legendary Searing Effigy WAS a hard fight. It required you to manage crystals while doing enough DPS to overcome the regen in phases 1 and 3. You COULD simply brute force it and get it over with faster, but playing it as intended was more reliable and required teamwork and high player skill.

Players complained and complained and complained it was “too hard” and “not fun.” The whining was loud and constant to the point where Arena.net finally nerfed it to the ground.

And that’s the problem. The people here who want more challenging content that requires more than facerolling to victory get shouted down by the MMO masses who want “Press 1 to win.”

Players need to look in the mirror to discover the heart of many of the developer’s decisions. Of course, players won’t, because they refuse to acknowledge that we as a whole are the larger problem.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Support roles work fine in wvw, sure it’s pretty lame that only dps matters in PvE but I think it’s honestly more fun that roles aren’t “enforced” in this game.

Support works fine in pve too. As long as you have 2 or less supports and 3 dps you’re golden.

Honestly I seriously doubt that any of you even own healing gear. I know this game inside and out and I also know that 99% of my guild doesn’t own healing gear, has never owned healing gear and never will own healing gear.

Assuming my rather large guild is fairly normal I know for a fact that most of you don’t even run boon duration.

Boon duration is more important than healing power for support but 300 regen ticks don’t hurt either.

GW2 combat is broken

ArchonWing.9480

Support works fine in pve too. As long as you have 2 or less supports and 3 dps you’re golden.

Honestly I seriously doubt that any of you even own healing gear. I know this game inside and out and I also know that 99% of my guild doesn’t own healing gear, has never owned healing gear and never will own healing gear.

Assuming my rather large guild is fairly normal I know for a fact that most of you don’t even run boon duration.

Boon duration is more important than healing power for support but 300 regen ticks don’t hurt either.

We have! It just got salvaged >.> And I get boon duration from traits, lol.

Although you have a point beyond boon duration being very nice. Honestly, you don’t have to be “meta” to get things done in this game and I think that it’s not as narrow as people may suggest.

The irony of adding strictly defined roles is that this would become the “meta”. Let’s say that a fight revolved around you having a dps, a tank, and a healer for optimal play; well, then that becomes the meta and every other style of play would be made inherently inferior…

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Ethaine.8419

Ethaine.8419

I run full clerics shout guardian. I feel super effective at playing support/healing.

99% of players ahve never even tried healing gear much less to the point that they’re good with it……………….that’s the reality of it.

You wouldn’t need to heal if the others in your group know how to dodge/avoid things, unless of course this is WvW then ignore what i said. Also on the support side, you can do all the boons of a zerker guardian, yet the zerker guardian will also have 10x the damage capabilities which of course is all that really matters in PvE.

(edited by Ethaine.8419)

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

OP – you’re not even close to being right – so i will address some issues.

1) In PVP – specifically sPVP – tanking ( aka BUNKERING) is incredibly viable since it allows you to take and lock down a point – denying the enemy valuable capture points.

PVP is not about killing faster – but achieving various objectives.

There is a reason why the best WvW gear for team oriented play is Soldiers ( PVT – power TOUGHNESS and VITALITY).
Two out of three stats are oriented around defensive play and surviving.
Your argument about any form of PVP being only about dealing damage is so flawed and so far off I’m feeling rather sad for having to point this out to you.
So do a quick test yourself – go into any pvp form as full dps and see how that works out for you.

The very nature of GW2’s organic – everyone is a small army by themselves – combat has made it that very complex sPVP and WvW strategies to evolve.
Saying that there’s barely any room for strategy and planning in GW2 is being PLAIN WRONG. Look at this guy for example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEEYhovtwBo

He explains his strategy STEP BY STEP. He’s calculated and smart about all his moves and that’s why he succeeds. The other players lose because they’re simply too bad to keep up with him.

Regarding PVE :

Guild Wars 2 was always intended and designed to be " every man for himself " in 99% of situations. The whole concept of self-sustain heals – and each class having access to both damage/cc/ and healing means that the game was oriented to be a sort of a " one man army " deal.

Today – you’ll see a lot of players choose high-damage sets because they as players have improved to a point where they can easily tackle the content with damage gear using only their reflexes and knowledge of the content to keep themselves alive.

There’s nothing wrong with that. Vitality and Toughness both have VERY important roles in PVP and in PVE they are implemented to relieve some of the pressure the game puts on players that aren’t very good.

Can’t survive the dungeon ? Put in some toughness and healing power.
Boss downs you in 1 hit because you can’t dodge? Put in some vitality.

The very fact that EACH class has access to dodging states clear that the intention here was that you SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN HIT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
If tanking was made more effective – why would people dodge? The whole system is set up so that while in more tanky gear you’ll be able to take 4-5 more hits – you’ll eventually have to fight dynamically in a fluid combat system – or go down.

TLDR : there’s nothing wrong with the system as it is now – it’s just that people don’t understand that.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

GW2 combat is broken

Harper.4173

I just have this unsubstantiated belief/hope, that if you had five people with a well thought out, balanced build, go head-to-head against a DPS-first type build, given equal skill that the balanced will steamroll anyone anytime. Granted I have no proof of this. This is what GW1 taught me

The full DPS (condi included) will win so long as they have enough damage mitigation and enough group stuns. Take the incredible hammer warriors. I’m not going to lie, I played it… and it’s overpowered because it has a combo of superior damage, a lot of damage mitigation and disabling for enemies. I can run in a fight 1 v 3 and kill each one off without problems (even fought 1v4 in Team Arena and came out alive). The only thing that can stop me is stability for the opponents, and even then nobody will ever kill me unless I do something incredibly stupid.

Yeah but this isn’t GW1. I’m saying my Balanced team will outperform your DPS team everywhere in GW2, PvE/PvP/WvW. I just can’t prove it. On the other hand you can’t prove your case either.

Where did I mention GW1? I’m talking about full zerk warrior in GW2. A full damage team will outperform any other in PvE and it will wreck anyone in WvW. You don’t need to prove your case, because I have tried full dps vs. any other kind of build, and dps always comes out on top.

This is so sad it hurts. You have no idea how WvW works and are making things up to back you up.
You get 5 full zerker people and have them fight against a team wearing PVT or Knight’s and see what happens. There’s a reason optimal WvW gear is PVT and not full zerker.

I actually gave you more credibility reading only your first post – but after having read this – wow – i don’t even know why i’m bothering to respond.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I run full clerics shout guardian. I feel super effective at playing support/healing.

99% of players ahve never even tried healing gear much less to the point that they’re good with it……………….that’s the reality of it.

You wouldn’t need to heal if the others in your group know how to dodge/avoid things, unless of course this is WvW then ignore what i said. Also on the support side, you can do all the boons of a zerker guardian, yet the zerker guardian will also have 10x the damage capabilities which of course is all that really matters in PvE.

I like my 3k empowers and 1200 dodge heals tyvm. Being able to run by a mesmer who’s struggling with Lupicus and throw a powerful regen on them is very nice to be able to do.

I really feel people lack the understanding of “assisting” much like in LOL or Dota.

Me giving a constant 15 stacks of might to 5 people is better than 1 more zerker.

Same concept of assisting in LOL or Dota, the team that assists more will out earn the team taht is getting solo kills.

My guardian is a force multiplier. He makes everyone stronger and healthier so they can easy mode their dps jobs.

But yeah you can do full boon duration with zerks just fine, just depends on how much you must carry guildies. My guild has many great pve’rs and some not so great. My guardian works well with either set of people.

The point is play how you want and don’t be close minded.

I remember when i used to poo poo others builds……now i’ve learned that i dont know everything and that this games builds are so flexible that many possibilities are there that I have never even thought of.

GW2 combat is broken

ArchonWing.9480

You can only control your own actions though; they need to learn to dodge on their own

And yea, you definitely can go full zerker and still offer support in PvE contexts which is why 10/30/0/5/25 is so popular. In fact said build offers MORE support than the selfish AH builds.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

We have! It just got salvaged >.> And I get boon duration from traits, lol.

Although you have a point beyond boon duration being very nice. Honestly, you don’t have to be “meta” to get things done in this game and I think that it’s not as narrow as people may suggest.

The irony of adding strictly defined roles is that this would become the “meta”. Let’s say that a fight revolved around you having a dps, a tank, and a healer for optimal play; well, then that becomes the meta and every other style of play would be made inherently inferior…

I have a full cleric set on my guardian and my ele. I agree that it’s possible to pass content with support gear, but it’s still a lot less effective than high dps. The balance is off.

To answer to the fact that restricted roles > meta, not if everything was balanced.
Lets say:

Someone gets 2200 power & 1400 toughness. His damage will be higher, but he will get hit for more damage too. Someone gets 2200 toughness and 1400 power. His damage will be a lot lower and the damage he takes should be too.

In theory, the tank should be able to kill the dps player at the same time if they both use auto-attack on eachother, because his armour should keep the other’s damage low and the tank wouldn’t hit a lot either. In the ideal scenario, they would hit eachother for the same amount. That would be balanced.

The reality isn’t even close. A zerk player can crit 17k on lowest armour, last I figured with Eviscerate. A tank can hit maybe 2k if he gets a really lucky crit on lowest armour.
(I didn’t check numbers but that’s about the numbers I see). Say the zerk player will only hit 10k on a tank, he’ll still kill him rather easily.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

I just have this unsubstantiated belief/hope, that if you had five people with a well thought out, balanced build, go head-to-head against a DPS-first type build, given equal skill that the balanced will steamroll anyone anytime. Granted I have no proof of this. This is what GW1 taught me

The full DPS (condi included) will win so long as they have enough damage mitigation and enough group stuns. Take the incredible hammer warriors. I’m not going to lie, I played it… and it’s overpowered because it has a combo of superior damage, a lot of damage mitigation and disabling for enemies. I can run in a fight 1 v 3 and kill each one off without problems (even fought 1v4 in Team Arena and came out alive). The only thing that can stop me is stability for the opponents, and even then nobody will ever kill me unless I do something incredibly stupid.

Yeah but this isn’t GW1. I’m saying my Balanced team will outperform your DPS team everywhere in GW2, PvE/PvP/WvW. I just can’t prove it. On the other hand you can’t prove your case either.

Where did I mention GW1? I’m talking about full zerk warrior in GW2. A full damage team will outperform any other in PvE and it will wreck anyone in WvW. You don’t need to prove your case, because I have tried full dps vs. any other kind of build, and dps always comes out on top.

You get 5 full zerker people and have them fight against a team wearing PVT or Knight’s and see what happens. There’s a reason optimal WvW gear is PVT and not full zerker.

I actually gave you more credibility reading only your first post – but after having read this – wow – i don’t even know why i’m bothering to respond.

And, you actually misread me. I was saying that a team with HIGHER DPS will always win from a team with AVERAGE DPS (aka a balanced team). No of course you don’t need to go full zerk, and it’s not adviseable unless you happen to have CC-spam (which my warrior has). My mention of zerk was an example. In a 1v1 situation I can kill anyone with my heavy stunlock full zerk build, anyone except a heavy condition mesmer (who is high dps).

PVT is high dps gear, it’s main stat being power. Please read again and consider my argument as “Higher” dps vs. “Higher” tough/vit/heal. Dps will come out on top.

And I’m speaking about this:
My warrior when he doesn’t run zerk, is still considered full dps, because he has average toughness/vit and high power/prec.

Stats are
2,2k power
1,8k prec
1,6k toughness
1,2k vit
300 healing power

Then if I compare with my healing guardian he has:
1,4k healing power
2,1k toughness
1,4k power
1k prec

Try and see who will win if you match them up. The warrior.

My point is that toughness/healing/vitality are nearly redundant compared to full dps, and the reason why is that toughness (and armour) offers only a small damage reduction, while costing you a lot of damage, while power/prec offers you a huge damage gain, while costing you only a small amount of damage reduction.

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I think the combat as it is works just fine. The problem is, that people are looking at it from the perspective that people are meant to fulfil some kind of role. You aren’t. Oh, you can be geared more towards healing or more towards control or defense or damage if you want. But it’s not a role you are restricted to. Hybrid builds are probably more overall stable in this game than in others.

However, the other problem is that in the end, everything always comes down to damage. Every fight in any game always does. What’s the point in being able to heal well if you can’t damage the mob? What’s the point in never dying if you’re also never able to kill anything? This, to me, is where the game gets it slightly wrong. The bosses have one-hit mechanics, which means you are overly reliant on efficiency, not viability. You can’t control them, as most of them have defiant, so you are reliant on out-damaging them before they can kill you, so obviously the most efficient build in terms of damage ends up out-performing the rest. Against regular mobs, timing doesn’t matter so much, so any build is perfectly viable provided the player knows how to use it.

So the combat itself is working fine, but the mechanisms of certain bosses needs to be addressed. I wouldn’t class this problem as combat, since if they fixed this issue, the rest would be fine once people saw that they didn’t need to be playing fixed roles. In a group, of course you take on a “role”, like if two tasks need to be done to complete something, the one person does one and the other does the other – makes sense. But in terms of individual gaming, no roles apply at all.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Healing is far from useless especially in wvw. There are more factors than just dps/armor/healing to take into account such as boons, stealth and other factors. I quickly skimmed through these posts and one of them read something about healing power being under appreciated since it is under used, which I agree with. I bet those people have never fought a 5 man heal bomb engineer group who all heal each other like crazy while picking off the squishier targets one by one :P

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

and thk god u can’t be an healer like in other mmo, or would ends up with a team composition like:
– 1 aggro tank
– 2 dps
– 2 healers

so boring since a team fight would last years.. :/

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

1- I was referring more to instanced content, which is more focused on groups.
I also fail to see what shared resources (I’m assuming you mean nodes) and open tagging have anything to do with the conversation, but OK.

2- Well, since you mentioned the Trinity, I assumed we were talking about instances, since the Trinity is rarely used in the open-world anyway.

3- In terms of PvE, is this the combat systems fault, or encounter design for not utilising these aspects?

4- I keep speaking in terms of PvE, since I don’t have much in the way of experience of high-end PvP.

Please allow me to respond to you aswell

1- I see what you mean if you’re talking about dungeons. But the main tactic there seems to be DPSing everything down as fast as possible (either focusing a single target) or aoe-ing a crowd of mobs. Might stacking and then cookie-cutting is the main tactic (though granted it’s possible to complete dungeons without it, it is the ‘meta’)

Tagging does have a place in PvP. The main tactic there is Zerging, using aoe tagging to damage as many enemies the same time and killing them by the sheer amount of indirect damage.

2- The trinity doesn’t really have a place in this game, purposefully or not, but like you mentioned there is maybe a different kind of trinity, being:
raw dps > control > damage mitigation
Thing is, you can take each role. You can go for high dps, high control and high damage mitigation, I’m not looking at hammer warrior & condi spam necro. :P

3- I guess the fault is not necessarily the combat’s but the boss and mob mechanics are just awful. In PvP though there is a problem with the combat, because all you need is using auto-attack and steamrolling to win. Not realistic really. It’s too easy to attack multiple enemies and burst them down by sheer numbers, that is a very delicate problem, making any kind of PvP of a lower than zero level.

4- It’s okay. PvE has a place in this discussion for sure.

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

Healing is far from useless especially in wvw. There are more factors than just dps/armor/healing to take into account such as boons, stealth and other factors. I quickly skimmed through these posts and one of them read something about healing power being under appreciated since it is under used, which I agree with. I bet those people have never fought a 5 man heal bomb engineer group who all heal each other like crazy while picking off the squishier targets one by one :P

I play such an engineer myself, but it is far from a ‘solo healing’ build. It has some 500 healing power, and still high condi. It relies on spamming aoe damage.

Stealth, portals, reflection fields… are an entirely different factor of the game and they are not problematic in my opinion, on the contrary, they make the combat better than spamming damage.

Maybe I’m expecting to much from the combat, because GW1 had such great team fighting.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

- PvP: tanks are, like healers, weakening the team, because they contribute less damage and still take a lot because the armor ratings don’t make a big difference. Also the main defensive abilities are dodging and blocking, which are all abilities that can not be used to defend allies because you can’t do it for allies.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. Bunker Guards and Spirit ranger would be completly uneffective if it was the case.

In PvP, the real matter is not about fighting, but “should you fight or run”. My current Guardian build has a very low DPS output, yet a lot of boons for allies and a strong tankiness ability, and by the recent increase of my win/lose ratio, i wouldn’t say that i’m weakening my team.

As a counter example, try to take a 5 zerkers warrior against a balanced comp let’s say (just as exemple, could be totally different) 1 guardian bunker, 1 warrior HB, 1 necro MM, or full condi build, 1 spirit ranger and 1 thief. WITH ALL PLAYERS HAVING THE SAME SKILL LEVEL : If i follow what you’re saying, the healings buffs given by ranger and guardian won’t be that effective, the tankiness of theses two will weaken the team, and the 5 warriors would win 100/100. But what’s actually happening in this case ? Nothing like that, it’s more 80/100 win for the second team.

Also, sorry for bad english, it’s not my main language.

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

- PvP: tanks are, like healers, weakening the team, because they contribute less damage and still take a lot because the armor ratings don’t make a big difference. Also the main defensive abilities are dodging and blocking, which are all abilities that can not be used to defend allies because you can’t do it for allies.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. Bunker Guards and Spirit ranger would be completly uneffective if it was the case.

You’re talking about point capping. I’m talking about actually PvP as in generally fighting players. And no, I don’t think point capping counts as PvP.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

I wasn’t talking only about it. Try a 5v5 as i described after, without any point caping. The 5 Warriors will still get crushed. At equal skill level.

And actually, i agree with previous posts saying that you are trying to apply the Trinity system to a game that wasn’t designed for it.

Yes, actual combats have flaws thought (bit of unbalanced regarding certain classes), but what you described is not AT ALL a part of it.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Death to Critical Damage

Anet will have to find some way to mitigate the effect of critical damage at least in instances (maybe the open-world as well) for PvE Only! It’s PvE content that’s getting trivialized by the stacking of ever-increasing critical damage through ascended items and food/wrench buffs. WvW/PvP are fine where they are with regards to critical damage.

Chris Whiteside already commented that equalizing build strength is goal for 2014 that must be met before additional methods of Horizontal Progression can be implemented.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Malchior.5042)

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

When you focus on damage in Gw2 you miss out on the other benifits of support. Because of the design of the core character stat and skill system its been balanced to the point that support and healing are not as noticeably effective as dps. Fortunately DPS has noted numbers/bars visible for you to see a change when more dps are introduced. Adding support however you miss the areas or situations where without a boon or heal you might have died/taken a lot of damage.

As a person who’s always focused on healing in MMO’s i’ve come to know that in typical trinity games, i know im doing a good job when no one notices, unfortunately as you can imagine people rarely comment on good performance but always comment when its sub-par. This in my opinion answers the reasons why support are seen as sub-par when infact they should be included at least once by any skilled group set up.

I feel like there is, in the name of balance, a small gap between the effectiveness of DPS and Support. Unfortunately DPS will always DPS regardless but support’s effectiveness wavers on a fine balance between useless and overpowered. At the moment most classes are sitting closer to useless when it comes to support style play. Sure i can understand some not really focusing on support but some on the other hand just outshine in support areas. Unfortunately i feel like the guardians ability to boon and heal is far too effective for any class to ever compete (besides maybe an ele). But isnt that practically the same as having a trinity if your allowing particular classes more effective ways to deliver such an important gameplay aspect?

Excuse the speel.. I enjoy breaking down and analyzing gameplay far too much :p

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think a big problem with Defiant isn’t so much that boss mobs are immune to a lot of control abilities as much as there are only a handful of interrupts that get through Defiant.

As a result, a lot of fights become DPS races because there’s no way you can control those one-hit kill mechanics reliably.

GW2 combat is broken

Harper.4173

And, you actually misread me. I was saying that a team with HIGHER DPS will always win from a team with AVERAGE DPS (aka a balanced team). No of course you don’t need to go full zerk, and it’s not adviseable unless you happen to have CC-spam (which my warrior has). My mention of zerk was an example. In a 1v1 situation I can kill anyone with my heavy stunlock full zerk build, anyone except a heavy condition mesmer (who is high dps).

PVT is high dps gear, it’s main stat being power. Please read again and consider my argument as “Higher” dps vs. “Higher” tough/vit/heal. Dps will come out on top.

And I’m speaking about this:
My warrior when he doesn’t run zerk, is still considered full dps, because he has average toughness/vit and high power/prec.

Stats are
2,2k power
1,8k prec
1,6k toughness
1,2k vit
300 healing power

Then if I compare with my healing guardian he has:
1,4k healing power
2,1k toughness
1,4k power
1k prec

Try and see who will win if you match them up. The warrior.

My point is that toughness/healing/vitality are nearly redundant compared to full dps, and the reason why is that toughness (and armour) offers only a small damage reduction, while costing you a lot of damage, while power/prec offers you a huge damage gain, while costing you only a small amount of damage reduction.

I’d like to take you up on that 1 v 1.
The point you’re failing to see is that PVE wise those stats are sort of like training wheels for people who can’t adapt well enough to GW2’s dynamic combat system.
The point of this game’s combat system is not to be hit and take less damage -the point is NOT TO GET HIT at all.

PVP-wise bunkers are and always will be a very viable solution.

The system is not broken – your way of looking at it is.

GW2 combat is broken

Harper.4173

You’re talking about point capping. I’m talking about actually PvP as in generally fighting players. And no, I don’t think point capping counts as PvP.

That’s just plain wrong.
It’s just like me saying " I don’t consider speed clearing dungeons to be PVE " therefore there’s no such thing as zerkers speedclearing in PVE.

GW2 combat is broken

Harper.4173

Death to Critical Damage

Anet will have to find some way to mitigate the effect of critical damage at least in instances (maybe the open-world as well) for PvE Only! It’s PvE content that’s getting trivialized by the stacking of ever-increasing critical damage through ascended items and food/wrench buffs. WvW/PvP are fine where they are with regards to critical damage.

Chris Whiteside already commented that equalizing build strength is goal for 2014 that must be met before additional methods of Horizontal Progression can be implemented.

Protip: PVE content will always be trivialized since the players themselves are the ones who choose to trivialize it.
As long as the system is reward driven the vast majority will want to get from point A to rewards in point B as quickly as possible.
There are already open world bosses and various encounters where DPS is not the core mechanic.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Anyone remember the very first time we got to step foot in Tyria… it was either the first public beta or right before that… the mobs were tough. I never died so many times in the starter zones in any game’s PvE ever, and I loved it! Absolutely loved it. You really had to pay attention, learn the combat, etc in order to survive. I’d love to see that come back… nothing would “fix” the non-broken combat system more than scenarios that require you to use a far greater extent of the combat to survive. Give the mobs more skills, make them tougher, give them abilities that shatter stationary “press 1” zerkers who aren’t paying attention like so many glass butterflies.

Combat is fine. I see combat being quite fine in WvW against thinking targets. We just need more aspects of the game to require you to actually use your skills and do so wisely.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

CrossedHorse.4261

Anyone remember the very first time we got to step foot in Tyria… it was either the first public beta or right before that… the mobs were tough. I never died so many times in the starter zones in any game’s PvE ever, and I loved it! Absolutely loved it. You really had to pay attention, learn the combat, etc in order to survive. I’d love to see that come back… nothing would “fix” the non-broken combat system more than scenarios that require you to use a far greater extent of the combat to survive. Give the mobs more skills, make them tougher, give them abilities that shatter stationary “press 1” zerkers who aren’t paying attention like so many glass butterflies.

Combat is fine. I see combat being quite fine in WvW against thinking targets. We just need more aspects of the game to require you to actually use your skills and do so wisely.

Thing is, I don’t think those mobs have changed that much – we’ve just all got used to how things work so it’s easier now. Reports seem to be that new players are still struggling with them.

I also don’t really see why people who run zerk and just spam 1 are complaining all that much. Yes, you can do that, but then you are the master of your own boredom. Nobody else who doesn’t do that finds things too easy or complains about it. No, I’m not saying things couldn’t be tweaked a little, but I do think that if all you want to do is spam 1 in zerk because that’s the fastest way to do it, then you only have yourself to blame for being bored. I rarely do that, I enjoy using all my skills and working out different combinations that work etc, and I don’t find the combat a faceroll. Maybe that’s just me.

By the way, just to clarify, that last paragraph was not in direct relation to Volkon’s post – don’t want you to think I’m attacking you!

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

Thing is, I don’t think those mobs have changed that much – we’ve just all got used to how things work so it’s easier now. Reports seem to be that new players are still struggling with them.

I also don’t really see why people who run zerk and just spam 1 are complaining all that much. Yes, you can do that, but then you are the master of your own boredom. Nobody else who doesn’t do that finds things too easy or complains about it. No, I’m not saying things couldn’t be tweaked a little, but I do think that if all you want to do is spam 1 in zerk because that’s the fastest way to do it, then you only have yourself to blame for being bored. I rarely do that, I enjoy using all my skills and working out different combinations that work etc, and I don’t find the combat a faceroll. Maybe that’s just me.

By the way, just to clarify, that last paragraph was not in direct relation to Volkon’s post – don’t want you to think I’m attacking you!

Oh no, they changed a lot. They were really softened up quite a bit. The next time in it was extremely noticeable how much easier they’d become.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

CrossedHorse.4261

Oh no, they changed a lot. They were really softened up quite a bit. The next time in it was extremely noticeable how much easier they’d become.

Huh, ok. I guess I joined too late to see that, in that case. Still, newer players are still finding things challenging until they get used to it, so I guess my point is still relevant, if slightly less so.

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

Huh, ok. I guess I joined too late to see that, in that case. Still, newer players are still finding things challenging until they get used to it, so I guess my point is still relevant, if slightly less so.

Yeah, definitely a good point… perhaps difficulty scaling should increase at a greater rate then through the zones, with Champions getting boosted in all zones (added minions, skills, difficulty) then so that the early stages work well to get the feel of combat but champions will still take a degree of knowledge and skill and later zones require to you learn combat more thoroughly in order to have an easier time of it… no more “push 1 to win” above level 30 for example.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

CrossedHorse.4261

Yeah, definitely a good point… perhaps difficulty scaling should increase at a greater rate then through the zones, with Champions getting boosted in all zones (added minions, skills, difficulty) then so that the early stages work well to get the feel of combat but champions will still take a degree of knowledge and skill and later zones require to you learn combat more thoroughly in order to have an easier time of it… no more “push 1 to win” above level 30 for example.

That would work really well … off to email ANet! I would like that – they’ve done well getting more people to run the different champ trains by giving champ loot, so now if they just made them the tiniest bit more interesting they’d solve half their problems.

GW2 combat is broken

Harper.4173

I was there on BWE 1 – and I don’t remember any of this. The mobs were sort of like they are today. I powered through the content like there was no tomorrow.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I was there on BWE 1 – and I don’t remember any of this. The mobs were sort of like they are today. I powered through the content like there was no tomorrow.

Metrica Province Fire Elemental.

Utterly LETHAL early on but the longer it went on the more people understood “don’t stand in the red rings” and “DO NOT REVIVE ON THE BRIDGE!” . . . still got hit with a nerf stick at least once.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

May have been before the first open beta then, it’s all a bit fuzzy. But it was beautiful. Absolutely a blast.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

Utterly LETHAL early on but the longer it went on the more people understood “don’t stand in the red rings” and “DO NOT REVIVE ON THE BRIDGE!” . . . still got hit with a nerf stick at least once.

Some got hit by the nerf stick, some didn’t. Most content was easy to me in betas already. I guess only solution is… to go play a new game whose mechanics I didn’t master yet, since judging by responses here everyone is just fine with how easy and skill-less this game’s combat is. sigh

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

Some got hit by the nerf stick, some didn’t. Most content was easy to me in betas already. I guess only solution is… to go play a new game whose mechanics I didn’t master yet, since judging by responses here everyone is just fine with how easy and skill-less this game’s combat is. sigh

Well, you have two solutions. Go to another game, as you mention, or get into a WvW guild, run some organized WvW and learn how mistaken you are about the combat system and mechanics. It makes a huge difference going against actual players.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Well, you have two solutions. Go to another game, as you mention, or get into a WvW guild, run some organized WvW and learn how mistaken you are about the combat system and mechanics. It makes a huge difference going against actual players.

…,not really. Its actually kind of easy in WvW. I can bring down most players without any effort using the longbow’s autoattack, especially with the amount of passive traits that increases your damage that Rangers have access to.

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

…,not really. Its actually kind of easy in WvW. I can bring down most players without any effort using the longbow’s autoattack, especially with the amount of passive traits that increases your damage that Rangers have access to.

My mesmer raises a curious eyebrow and looks forwards to collecting the loot bags off of your corpse.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m not fine with it, but I also realize if the skill potential was raised for combat I very . . . very . . . likely would not be able to actually play if I had any lag at all or was for some reason distracted and not focused.

On the other hand, I find in WvW I actually do have that challenging feeling of needing to pay attention and react instinctively to things rather than think about it. More often than not I wind up making this lovely impression of my face on the ground during heated battles.

As much as I like the idea of skill-related combat where it requires you to be in sync to succeed, I absolutely could not and would not play a game in which that was the base metric for success. I stopped playing DMC3 and similar games because I simply reached a point where the combat required more of me than I could actually give.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

My mesmer raises a curious eyebrow and looks forwards to collecting the loot bags off of your corpse.

Hey now, I said Most Players. If you are a thinking player with skill, as you say, then you aren’t most players. I would actually have to press more keys than 1 in that case.

GW2 combat is broken

VOLKON.1290

Hey now, I said Most Players. If you are a thinking player with skill, as you say, then you aren’t most players. I would actually have to press more keys than 1 in that case.

I’m also set up with a good amount of reflects as well.

#TeamJadeQuarry

GW2 combat is broken

Sirendor.1394

Lol. You must be kidding. I played 1000+ hours of SPvP and WvW in this game. They’re both lackluster and rely on 1 thing: zergstacking. Don’t tell me I need to get to know “a huge difference going against actual players”. Personally I look back with joy to the combat we had in GW1. It required splitting up, it required team-work, and sure it was frustrating sometimes, but that’s the best feel you can get.

And of course, inb4 the rage: I played 1v1, 5-man, in WvW aswell. I had my share of duels and of zerg clashing with 5 people. We once fought off a zerg of 30 with 5 people.
The fact only illustrates what I pointed out. If you have enough hard dps/control and know how to handle your damage mitigation, you can win anything. That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate fighting another skilled player, but the maiority is simply spamming this and that as much as possible.

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

GW2 combat is broken

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Yes, GW2 combat is just VERY basic, you just need to look at all GW1 possibilities to notice that.

• No mana, no mana auto regen = cant balance skill effect between recast and mana cost. So “powerfull” effect will only have long reload
  • Conditions are less interesting in GW2 compare to the GW1 curses or conditions. You have less control with them. Its just condi stack, when most of the time direct damage is way more efficient. ( blind / cripply / confusion / weakness are nearly useless )
  • Always the sames weapons skills, plenty of totaly useless traits, traits linked to stats just prevent diversity.
  • Boons ? that’s just occasional boons spam where you cant really control what you need when you need it
    Like aegis, without indication of what skill the enemi will use, its just a random aegis usage without beeing sure to use it efficiently.
    ( exaclty the sames with the interrupt )

I dont understand how can they fail so many things when they made so much excelents things with gw1

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke