in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

dragon prophet looks really interesting! <3

GW2 expansion - 1Q Ncsoft Conference Call [merged]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Man people in this thrad have managed to get some magical information out of that small quote… so far we have:

1. The game is failing and they will only release the expansion as a cashcow before the shut down the servers
2. The game is doing so well that they are taking their time on the expansion and will release it when sales start to finally dip.
3. The expansion is just in a concept phase and is at least 3 years for launch
4. The expansion is completely done and they are just sitting on it for the right time to launch.
5. They aren’t actually working on an expansion because of living story
6. They will release the expansion and tie it into living story

It is really amazing how people manage to get so much information out of one quote even if people get completely different and contradictory information.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It is really amazing how people manage to get so much information out of one quote even if people get completely different and contradictory information.

Imagine what would happen if the devs actually came onto the boards and discussed their plans for new content and attempts to track down and fix bugs. One offhand comment posted by Colin can inspire several pages of rants…

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Ah “soft” has the iron ball grip of death on “net” I see….

They have for the entire life-cycle of GW2. Which is why it’s just not really a game that should have the words “Guild Wars” in the title…

Don’t look too much on what the devs of ArenaNet told us about expansion. Most they told us in their blogs have not been true, just boasting.

They do tend to waaaaaay over-hype, don’t they?

Well, with the direction this game has taken since November, and with the completely underwhelming Personal Storylines and Flame & Frost, all I can really see in an expansion is more leveling, more gear-grind, and possibly a new piece of real estate (that’s not Asian-themed, and therefore not Cantha) to play the same world bosses and events in over and over and over and over and over and over…

But no doubt they’ll have some fantastic blog posts and promo videos out on random social networking sites that describe the game that we all want, but will never, ever see released.

Yea…I think ArenaNet and NCSoft have done a fantastic job of killing any interest I might have had in a GW2 expansion.

When are they actually going to release the real Guild Wars 2? You know, the one they have been describing since they announced it when Eye of the North released? I’d be interested in that.

The problem is they delivered the game that some of us wanted, just not the game YOU wanted. There is a portion of the player base who feels just like you and a portion who feels just like me. So when you say stuff like they’ll be showing the game we all want but never see, maybe you should remove the word all…because you’re not talking for all of us.

It would seem that the people who got the game they wanted wouldn’t have got the game they wanted if not for those who got the game they didn’t want.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Translated out of corporate speak that reads “we plan to do an expansion pack at some point but currently haven’t started but you’ll give me kitten if I say that so ill just tell you we have started and give a load of vague reasons for not having a scheduled release”.

Not quite sure this is true. In fact, I’m pretty sure they have done some work on an expansion. But expansions in MMOs are used for business reasons. One of those reasons is to retrigger interest in the game when it starts to wane. Another is to put out something when a competitor is trying to get interest in the game.

Take the launch of the game in the first place. It clearly wasn’t ready. There were too many bugs. Even the trading post didn’t work at launch. But it was launched strategically to be out a month before MoP came out. That was good timing on Anet’s part. They made a lot of sales they might not have made if they’d launched six weeks later.

These days, a paid expansion is a big deal to an MMO, and the timing of the release to maximize profits is something every MMO does.

Im fairly certain your right. They most definitely have done some work on an expansion. Kind of like they have done some work on a precursor scavenger hunt.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

The problem is they delivered the game that some of us wanted, just not the game YOU wanted. There is a portion of the player base who feels just like you and a portion who feels just like me. So when you say stuff like they’ll be showing the game we all want but never see, maybe you should remove the word all…because you’re not talking for all of us.

It would seem that the people who got the game they wanted wouldn’t have got the game they wanted if not for those who got the game they didn’t want.

News flash:

In this world of imperfection, you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

My, Vayne, and I gather the bulk of both our guilds are quite happy. The people I PUG with seem happy – and when I do that they are different people every day. The people in map chat where I go when I game are mostly happy too.

I’m just glad some folks stick to the forums and don’t get their brand of peanut butter into the chocolate of my game.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

If you look at the revenue from GW2 across all quarters which mentioned GW2 income, then NCSOFT made roughly $175 Million with the game so far. Sure, GW2 took a long time to develop any has probably cost somewhere in the ballpark of $60-$80 million, but that still makes it a success in any book.

As for players getting bored after 1000h, big deal, that is what expansions are for. If gamers were playing one game forever not buying the next, even Colin would start to make a frowny face.

Another important figure, thanks to microtransactions, NCSOFT earned somewhere between $44 and $58 per user. Depending on which user number between three and four million you are willing to guesstimate. This is also a very respectable number, considering that NCSOFT most likely does not even get half of what a box retails for. (vat tax, retailer, wholeseller, distributor, etc.)

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Pretty much means we are making bank off the gem shop and will only release the expansion when we start to see sales slow

that’s exactly how I interpreted it

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

It’s always been the other way around. While MMOs are selling, they generally don’t launch expansions. Expansions are what you launch when you need the influx of money.

Many of them seem to put expansions onto a regular release cycle.

WoW even starts making X-Pac 2 now about 6 months before X-Pac 1 goes live. EQII has them like clockwork, but I don’t follow it well enough to know details. Guild Wars 1 had them about once every 6 to 9 months for the first 3, then had the fourth some time after and called it quits.

City of Heroes had two, period. City of Villains shortly after launch, and then Paragon years later.

There doesn’t seem to be a predictable pattern.

For GW2 it will be a bit of a balancing act.

We know there are 2 other confirmed continents. There is a fourth continent that never hit anything live anywhere and has never been mentioned in in-game lore so it could be scrapped or anythinged.

But for the other 2, they HAVE to come out or some point or their lack will hurt the game. But coming out too fast could also hurt the game.

They have to find that perfect point where the fans have nothing left but to demand it, but haven’t started quitting over it yet.

I’m obviously not talking about WoW, because WoW doesn’t have to worry about sales falling off. They fell off to 9.1 million subscribers last year..do the math at 15 bucks a month and you’ll see that WoW is in a class by itself.

Guild Wars 1 also can’t be counted, because the entire marketing plan wasn’t based around subscription prices or even the cash shop. The marketing plan of the game was about bringing out new expansions in a fast manner.

But there are hundreds of MMOs out there, and the cycle, even in WoW is always that the player density always falls off as players finish the old content. They stop logging in. They wait for the new content. Guild Wars 2 has a similar traffic pattern when you see the monthly stuff released, for a few days to a week, traffic gets mad busy, then slows down again until the next month’s patch.

But most MMOs don’t have monthly content patches. Most of their big patches are all done at one time, with the idea of bringing people back to the game. It’s a balancing act for most developers.

You can only make a certain amount of content in the time you have. You have old content out there that people are going through. Enough of the people get through all the content, they get bored and move to other games. You don’t want to release a patch too early because you don’t want to waste it. You want it to have maximum impact…because you can’t make another patch with a small staff soon enough to make more people log in more often. And that’s what it’s about for most MMOs, getting people to log in.

So the population drops, an expansion brings them back, which is what most MMOs are looking for.

acctualy wow was on 9.1 now its on 8.3 they keep droping as well just google u will see

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

The important number concerning WoW is “cost per User”. For WoW, that number is $1.7 (i.e. not even two Dollars). That covers the Blizzard development team, the development of ongoing patches AND new expansion, it covers support, it covers advertisements and it covers server costs (which are ridiculously low). Anything above those $1.7 you pay per month is pure net profit.

Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded company, they have to publish their business reports quarterly. It is all in there, if you are willing to read. If they drop from 9.1 to 8.3 M subscribers they will get around to addressing that, but in terms of raw performance the game will still be the most profitable on the planet by a longshot.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s always been the other way around. While MMOs are selling, they generally don’t launch expansions. Expansions are what you launch when you need the influx of money.

WoW even starts making X-Pac 2 now about 6 months before X-Pac 1 goes live. EQII has them like clockwork, but I don’t follow it well enough to know details. Guild Wars 1 had them about once every 6 to 9 months for the first 3, then had the fourth some time after and called it quits.

City of Heroes had two, period. City of Villains shortly after launch, and then Paragon years later.

We know there are 2 other confirmed continents. There is a fourth continent that never hit anything live anywhere and has never been mentioned in in-game lore so it could be scrapped or anythinged.

But for the other 2, they HAVE to come out or some point or their lack will hurt the game. But coming out too fast could also hurt the game.

They have to find that perfect point where the fans have nothing left but to demand it, but haven’t started quitting over it yet.

I’m obviously not talking about WoW, because WoW doesn’t have to worry about sales falling off. They fell off to 9.1 million subscribers last year..do the math at 15 bucks a month and you’ll see that WoW is in a class by itself.

Guild Wars 1 also can’t be counted, because the entire marketing plan wasn’t based around subscription prices or even the cash shop. The marketing plan of the game was about bringing out new expansions in a fast manner.

But there are hundreds of MMOs out there, and the cycle, even in WoW is always that the player density always falls off as players finish the old content. They stop logging in. They wait for the new content. Guild Wars 2 has a similar traffic pattern when you see the monthly stuff released, for a few days to a week, traffic gets mad busy, then slows down again until the next month’s patch.

But most MMOs don’t have monthly content patches. Most of their big patches are all done at one time, with the idea of bringing people back to the game. It’s a balancing act for most developers.

You can only make a certain amount of content in the time you have. You have old content out there that people are going through. Enough of the people get through all the content, they get bored and move to other games. You don’t want to release a patch too early because you don’t want to waste it. You want it to have maximum impact…because you can’t make another patch with a small staff soon enough to make more people log in more often. And that’s what it’s about for most MMOs, getting people to log in.

So the population drops, an expansion brings them back, which is what most MMOs are looking for.

acctualy wow was on 9.1 now its on 8.3 they keep droping as well just google u will see

At last report, the last one I saw, WoW was back up to 10 million. This was in Blizzards last quarterly report.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

At last report, the last one I saw, WoW was back up to 10 million. This was in Blizzards last quarterly report.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/08/activision-blizzard-closes-out-q1-2013-with-1-32-billion-net-re/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464058

Curious how they will do when the 4 other MMO’s release. I think GW2 still has much potential, maybe it isn’t “wow” big, but who cares, this isn’t wow :P

""It is coming under pressure on several fronts – subscription-based online gaming is losing ground to micro-transactions and hybrid-monetisation models.""
^^

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

WoW is down to 8.3 million subs, just make sure you are looking up Q1 2013. But this discussion is getting a bit off topic.

I find it a bit odd several people are seeing this report as Anet being in dire trouble. Of course the sales are going to be down, GW2 is buy to play; the main source of revenue is the box purchase. We’ll get a much more reliable number of how GW2 is doing by looking at this information over the entire year.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Geotherma.2395

WoW is down to 8.3 million subs, just make sure you are looking up Q1 2013. But this discussion is getting a bit off topic.

I find it a bit odd several people are seeing this report as Anet being in dire trouble. Of course the sales are going to be down, GW2 is buy to play; the main source of revenue is the box purchase. We’ll get a much more reliable number of how GW2 is doing by looking at this information over the entire year.

I think people aren’t able to compare it correctly because it is a B2P game. The huge surge at launch is normal for MMO’s, sub games continue at least a good majority of that income month after month. Whereas GW2 has no further purchase beyond gem transactions, so people are comparing apples to oranges. GW2 is still doing well, its box sales going on from January, are not a good indicator of how well the company is doing. The micro-transactions are a better indicator, but those too fluctuate based on what “we” like. So people can take breaks from the game, and Arenanet/NCsoft neither make or lose profit. It is really about keeping people in the game, coming back all the time, not having to pay each month for same content. Hence the entire living story model they hold to. They need players to keep playing for profit, since simply owning the game and playing whenever isn’t profitable, they introduce temporary content in hopes to bring the playerbase back and purchasing in support. And I think they have done a good job in this aspect. Now once they fix bugs, balance etc, it will all start to run much more smoothly.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I don’t expect a GW2 expansion until after Wildstar releases to avoid one bigfooting the other.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t expect a GW2 expansion until after Wildstar releases to avoid one bigfooting the other.

That’s a good point I’d completely overlooked.

Why would NCsoft, who’s launching another MMO, want to launch an expansion to compete with it. They’d certainly want to stagger the release dates.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Heh, too true. It’s almost as bad as the comments in the Massively article with the same topic.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Edited with NCsoft 1Q 2013 earning reports (sales, etc)

I’m surprised Lineage is still doing so good in there while the western servers were closed like a year ago.

Well Lineage is their UO. Came out in the late 90s. It looks like Diablo/UO meaning 2 1/2D sprite based. It doesn’t need a decent modern rig to run it on. And after 15 years, I think, players are rather attached to their characters and guilds.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-coming/

Some guessed many moons ago that it would be around Q3, but I think they should concentrate on fixing things in the current stuff before doing anything else

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I doubt they will release an expansion less than 1 year after game’s launch, but maybe at the end of this year, or first half 2014.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-expansion-1Q-Ncsoft-Conference-Call

Please look through, at the very least, the first page of threads before making a thread so you don’t make a duplicate.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-expansion-1Q-Ncsoft-Conference-Call

Please look through, at the very least, the first page of threads before making a thread so you don’t make a duplicate.

If they`d put an even remotely decent search function on this forum, would`ve done so ;p

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

That’s a good point I’d completely overlooked.

Why would NCsoft, who’s launching another MMO, want to launch an expansion to compete with it. They’d certainly want to stagger the release dates.

Yes the dance they will need to do to boost one without overshadowing the other will be tricky. Wildstar just needs to go out before Elder scrolls to steal their thunder then the expansion of GW2. My opinion of course.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Translated out of corporate speak that reads “we plan to do an expansion pack at some point but currently haven’t started but you’ll give me kitten if I say that so ill just tell you we have started and give a load of vague reasons for not having a scheduled release”.

Not quite sure this is true. In fact, I’m pretty sure they have done some work on an expansion. But expansions in MMOs are used for business reasons. One of those reasons is to retrigger interest in the game when it starts to wane. Another is to put out something when a competitor is trying to get interest in the game.

Take the launch of the game in the first place. It clearly wasn’t ready. There were too many bugs. Even the trading post didn’t work at launch. But it was launched strategically to be out a month before MoP came out. That was good timing on Anet’s part. They made a lot of sales they might not have made if they’d launched six weeks later.

These days, a paid expansion is a big deal to an MMO, and the timing of the release to maximize profits is something every MMO does.

True, they could be aiming to release it to compete with Elder Scrolls Online’s release.

Posted by: irishgorilla.1560

irishgorilla.1560

Hi everyone I recently came across an article that stated in a GW2 conference call Anet was working on an expansion for Guild Wars 2. I am still sort of shocked because last month they announced that no expansions were being worked on. If anyone has an opinion please reply!

Article Link: http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4325904/guild-wars-2-expansion-pack-is-being-prepared-says-ncsoft

Yargesh.4965

5 or 6 threads up for the past 2 days, look there for all the speculation you could hope for.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

I hope not since this game’s been out for less than a year. What Anet should be focusing on is fixing the problems that this game has been plagued with since day one.

Adding a expansion at this time would be like adding a extra room onto a termite infested house.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Flower Lyssa.8012

Flower Lyssa.8012

Exactly. Doesn’t anyone remember how long NCSoft said that GW2 was coming within the next quarter, 6 months, “before the end of the year”? As long as it doesn’t come from the “horse’s mouth” as it were (and I mean the people developing GW2 content, so ArenaNet), I would dismiss it as very optimistic thinking.

Anyone wants to bet on how long before we get “an expansion is/is not in the works” and if it is, it will release “when it’s ready”?

My personal bet is a short answer before the end of the day and a full explanation before Wednesday (ArenaNet time, as usual).

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Working on an expansion means that they are working on an expansion. Unless you have some magical crystal ball that I don’t have access too They have not announced that they are launching it any time soon. It could still be well over a year away from launching.

Expansions take a long time. They probably started working on it as soon as the game launched. Look at some other popular MMO’s. WoW announced its first expansion like 6 months after launch, yet it didn’t go live until ~2 years after launch.

Swtor announced it’s expansion 9 months after launch and didn’t go live with it until a year and 4 months after launch.

Anet hasn’t even announced an expansion yet, so we still have A LOT of time left before an expansion actually launches.

Also this game has relatively few problems compared to most MMO’s a year after launch. We are in infinitely better shape then TERA or STO or SWTOR were within a year of launch.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

YES I can confirm! An expansion will be released July 20th!!!

I also have various bridges in Brooklyn and some primo land in Florida for sale if anyone is interested!

Yargesh.4965

I also have various bridges in Brooklyn and some primo land in Florida for sale if anyone is interested!

Ocean view? I’ll take it!

Geotherma.2395

He forgot to mention the trolls under the bridges, of which there are many :P

Leave it to the forum community to read an article and have 30 different views of what it means ^^ We are a very analytic bunch.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

He forgot to mention the trolls under the bridges, of which there are many :P

Leave it to the forum community to read an article and have 30 different views of what it means ^^ We are a very analytic bunch.

I just hope the majority of those don’t work in the financial market

Geotherma.2395

“We have contacted NCsoft for further comment on this new expansion and will update if more information becomes available.”

And there’s where you went wrong :P

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I just hope the majority of those don’t work in the financial market

Did you actually see the insanity that lately dares calling itself “financial market”?
The quality of posts in this thread here are miles above that worldwide casino and its dealings with fantasy monies.

Pretty much on par with Korean-Boss-Dude, who seems to think he can order good MMO content in some Chinese sweatshops or something.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I just found this nifty article that was posted yesterday (13th May 2013)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-13-ncsoft-profits-up-yoy-but-down-on-last-quarter

I honestly hope it’s something very consistent…like a whole new continent (Elona or even, dare i say it….the forbidden name Cantha). Just like in GW1..they added whole new regions that literally doubled the game content. That’s a REAL expansion…not just 1-2 maps that players will be bored of in 1 month max.

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

I saw this pop up on my reader yesterday as well. Actually kind of annoyed me that they are talking expansion when the current game still needs A LOT of work before I would even consider it to be a triple A type game.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

PLANNING an expansion is not the same as WORKING ON an expansion. Don’t get your hopes up, not too long ago one of the devs said noone’s currently working on an expansion.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

Maybe we’ll get a new continent called Dimishing Returnia or maybe Gemvallhala lol.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I hope they are working on a expansion and its a complete new continent.

If it is a new continent would there be 1 to 79 lvl zones?

I am not so sure 1-79 lvl zones would be worth doing…perhaps better to do a continent which is ALL 80th level or perhaps 60-80th level…

I would like to see 2 new classes in a expansion, 1 more heavy and 1 more unique, can wear all 3 types of armour but skills change depending on armour type?!?

2 JP’s per zone at least, some new dungeons if you must (but TRY to make them fun), WvW goodies, some PvP love and a few surprises/shocks…

^^^Buy this tomorrow, instantly…THATS WHAT I CALL A REAL EXPANSION…would pay $60 no problem…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future, but we don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

ANet working on an expansion?! Most certainly not atm.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I will repost what I posted on another thread about this article:

How do the author of that article conclude from this:
“In terms of box sales and microtransactions are still very strong, and of course we are preparing an expansion pack but in terms of when we will actually launch it, it’s something we are still monitoring… We are looking to the performance of the game and then we will decide what will be the best time to do the launch.”

That the sales of Guild Wars 2 are falling?
“NCsoft’s managing director, Nah Seong Chan, also hinted during the earnings call that the company was planning to address falling Guild Wars 2 sales with a new expansion pack.”
Anyone knows any more specific numbers or the author just wrote something without anything to base it on, there is nothing on the article about it. Important parts in bold.

Am I the only one who sees nothing in common between what the NCSoft marketing director actually said, and what the author of the article posted above? What he quoted doesn’t justify what he wrote, in fact it’s the complete opposite.

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

NCSoft and Arenanet are really two different companies in mind. I’d stick with Colin’s statements till the game really starts to fail financially. Considering how NCSoft kittened up great titles in the past, I hope Arenanet stays strong against the ideas of an Asian publisher. If you look into game; ingame economy, gameplay and gemstore is pretty much balanced and not hurting any type of player in general. Ofcourse the game is not perfect for everyone but I can’t see any better game around though. Living story is a great idea and they are doing it right imo. If they release an expension I’d buy it without a second thought but its not really important as long as they continue to add content and fix things like they are doing now.

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

ArenaNet is more than a dozen people working on this mediocre living story stuff. All the teams they told us about currently working on parts of the game are more or less 100 people. Leaving more than 150 people to do something else. What do yo think they do?

A B2P business model works with things to sell. Those silly stuff in the store might attract a player or two, but to pay some 250+ employees you need to sell boxes every now and then. If Colin would say a single word about the expansion, no one would care about his little living world thingy.

I am sure many many people of ArenaNet even started to work on expansions before the initial game has been released. They don’t offer it to us, the day it is done, they make it availabe, when it is financially interesting for the company or needed to pay their bills. After all(they are telling us) they work for money not(only) for fun

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Personally i am abit worried why are NCSoft and Arenanet not on the same wavelength. NCSoft hinting expansion coming, and Arenanet saying no expansions
are currently planned??

Below is the quote from NCSoft:

“In terms of box sales and microtransactions are still very strong, and of course we are preparing an expansion pack but in terms of when we will actually launch it, it’s something we are still monitoring… We are looking to the performance of the game and then we will decide what will be the best time to do the launch.”

Yet immediately afterwards, this appears:

Unfortunately developer ArenaNet doesn’t appear to have got the memo, with director Colin Johanson saying as recently as March that none were currently planned.

Aren’t both NCSoft and Arenanet both responsible for GW2?
Why are they saying different things? lol

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I saw this pop up on my reader yesterday as well. Actually kind of annoyed me that they are talking expansion when the current game still needs A LOT of work before I would even consider it to be a triple A type game.

That was my impression too. Expansion should be the last thing on their minds until they fix the glaring issues this game has. Especially the 7 months of PVE nerfs for certain classes and the serious misdirection they went when they made dungeons more important then open world and let me just say, living story isn’t going to cut it. Sorry. I demand what I was told this game would be about prior to launch which is monthly additions to DE’s and metas that are permanent additions.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Personally i am abit worried why are NCSoft and Arenanet not on the same wavelength. NCSoft hinting expansion coming, and Arenanet saying no expansions
are currently planned??

NCSoft is hinting that an expansion is in development, not that it is coming anywhere in the near future.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

are currently planned??

Below is the quote from NCSoft:

Yet immediately afterwards, this appears:

Unfortunately developer ArenaNet doesn’t appear to have got the memo, with director Colin Johanson saying as recently as March that none were currently planned.

Aren’t both NCSoft and Arenanet both responsible for GW2?
Why are they saying different things? lol

I think you just found the KEY problem here. In another thread everyone was discussing why we think that Anet has been so slow on fixing all of the serious issues with this game and I thought it was most likely a managerial issue.

I think you touched on it right there. The problem I don’t think is the Devs as I once thought I think it’s also management because there’s something that’s not quite right in the decision making process and the organization process of the patches that’s made me wonder for a while now about their decisions.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!