GW2 and stats

GW2 and stats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure a sequel lore-wise is the same as a sequel mechanic-wise/gameplay-wise. Guild Wars 2 is an MMORPG, where GW1 was/is a CORPG. One persistent (mostly), the other instanced (mostly).

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Errr – as I said in my original post, just because I have these opinions it doesn’t mean I dislike guild wars 2. I am still a fan of the franchise, and there are some things I still like and respect about it.

Oh, come on. Everyone knows that if you dislike even one teensy, tiny little thing about GW2 and dare to express it, it must REALLY mean that you absolutely hate every single thing about it because, you know, it just isn’t possible for a human being to like some things and not others and still enjoy themselves.

/sarcasm off

I see this all the time from people on this forum. Still SMH about it.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

According to the OP a couple of months ago the only things they like about the game makes for a very short list:

I can tell you where it shines:

Graphics
Race lore
Character creation
Map

It fails everywhere else – where it should keep our attention.

Unless they create and delete a new toon each day there is not much in that list to keep ’em busy. /shrug

GW2 and stats

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

The OP speaks like a GW1 fan who is in shock at just how different GW2 feels from GW1.

And it’s true… GW2 feels very different. It’s not about the specific nits the OP chose to pick. It’s more that it just doesn’t feel like a sequel and is a disappointment for anyone expecting GW1 but better.

It’s not. It is its own thing, with very different pros and cons. If you can’t let go of your expectations of it being like GW1, you’re not going to enjoy GW2.

However, reaching max level and full exotics isn’t all that hard or take all that long, especially compared to other MMOs. I’m not convinced it’s any slower than hitting level 20 in GW1 — maybe it’s more that the time seemed to fly be in GW1 while you’re not feeling it in GW2?

GW1 did have equipment restrictions by class too, just different choices. And you can buy dyes from the TP and apply them easily. The main difference is that they are not 1-shots and don’t take up inventory space — changes I’m personally happy with.

No, it doesn’t do everything that GW1 did. However, unless you make a decision to let go and forget about the comparisons, you’ll not be able to appreciate the good points, like not having to run around fallen logs (I hated that in GW1).

I’ve been in that sort of position before, and I learned to go with it and eventually enjoy myself. I’m hoping you can do the same.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I just logged into GW1 and played for 10 mins. That game is definitely more ‘fun’.

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

According to the OP a couple of months ago the only things they like about the game makes for a very short list:

I can tell you where it shines:

Graphics
Race lore
Character creation
Map

It fails everywhere else – where it should keep our attention.

Unless they create and delete a new toon each day there is not much in that list to keep ’em busy. /shrug

Lol, how on earth did u find my old posts? I can’t even find them

GW2 and stats

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, there ya go! A solution to the problem. =)

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Errr – as I said in my original post, just because I have these opinions it doesn’t mean I dislike guild wars 2. I am still a fan of the franchise, and there are some things I still like and respect about it.

Oh, come on. Everyone knows that if you dislike even one teensy, tiny little thing about GW2 and dare to express it, it must REALLY mean that you absolutely hate every single thing about it because, you know, it just isn’t possible for a human being to like some things and not others and still enjoy themselves.

/sarcasm off

Thank you for understanding! Why does it take a woman to understand?

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Well, there ya go! A solution to the problem. =)

Not so quickly,

Remember, I still enjoy the following things about gw2:

Graphics
Race lore
Character creation
Map (actually I take this back, I think the gw2 map is far too big. I can barely remember which town I last visited and where it is).

GW2 and stats

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^That’s not much out of what GW2 has to offer. You may find more satisfaction sticking to GW1.

Good luck.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

/sarcasm off

I didnt see anyone do that in this post, the tc doesnt even sound like he likes rpgs and people where noticing it thats it, and they just basically said stop torturing yourself by playing it if he doesnt like that many aspects of it. It was nothing but constructive criticism much like the tc did.

But in my opinion its silly to come into an mmorpg not expecting any mmorpg elements that make these games massive and rpgs.

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

/sarcasm off

I didnt see anyone do that in this post, the tc doesnt even sound like he likes rpgs and people where noticing it thats it, and they just basically said stop torturing yourself by playing it if he doesnt like that many aspects of it. It was nothing but constructive criticism much like the tc did.

But in my opinion its silly to come into an mmorpg not expecting any mmorpg elements that make these games massive and rpgs.

You, like many other people who have responded do not understand my point. For some reason you all seem so obsessed with protecting your own reasons for liking the game. This is fine, I don’t want to take that away from you. I’m merely stating my own opinions.

Claiming that I do not like rpgs is REALLY strange. How on earth did you draw that conclusion?

Oh lord, have mercy.

I could probably argue that your comments show you don’t know what an MMO is, but I’m not so stupid to make such personal attacks.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

One of my biggest gripes is how player stats are changed based on zone levels. I feel this is a great injustice to the fantasy MMORPG genre!

Want to know why they did this? Because nice big 80s would go to a level 1-15 zone and 1 shot everything when a lowbie character was working on events or anything. Sometimes the 80s would just farm a spot that a lot of low level characters would be in just to grief them. Now both of them are almost on par and can fight equally. It’s not about loot, if you are trying to kill something, and the moment it spawns it’s dead instantly, how are you expected to even have a chance for credit.

So this can affect your immersion all you want, it is actually better for the game this way. There was a time when it wasn’t, and it was an awful mess back then.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

One of my biggest gripes is how player stats are changed based on zone levels. I feel this is a great injustice to the fantasy MMORPG genre!

Want to know why they did this? Because nice big 80s would go to a level 1-15 zone and 1 shot everything when a lowbie character was working on events or anything. Sometimes the 80s would just farm a spot that a lot of low level characters would be in just to grief them. Now both of them are almost on par and can fight equally. It’s not about loot, if you are trying to kill something, and the moment it spawns it’s dead instantly, how are you expected to even have a chance for credit.

So this can affect your immersion all you want, it is actually better for the game this way. There was a time when it wasn’t, and it was an awful mess back then.

I completely disagree. I don’t think levels should be controlled in this way. I can understand why they would do it – in a way they had no choice because they made the world one large constant zone. But it’s still stupid.

GW2 and stats

Ellieanna.5027

I completely disagree. I don’t think levels should be controlled in this way. I can understand why they would do it – in a way they had no choice because they made the world one large constant zone. But it’s still stupid.

So how would you stop a level 80 1 shotting all the mobs in an area preventing a lowbie from even working on anything there? You can disagree all you want, so then how would you fix it besides how it is currently done?

GW2 and stats

Celtic Lady.3729

So how would you stop a level 80 1 shotting all the mobs in an area preventing a lowbie from even working on anything there? You can disagree all you want, so then how would you fix it besides how it is currently done?

I wonder how big of a problem this really is. I play several MMOs where level isn’t adjusted depending on area, and I’ve never had any problem with capped characters coming down to lower level areas and griefing me. I do my quests and level just fine and rarely ever even see a high level in these zones.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I wonder how big of a problem this really is. I play several MMOs where level isn’t adjusted depending on area, and I’ve never had any problem with capped characters coming down to lower level areas and griefing me. I do my quests and level just fine and rarely ever even see a high level in these zones.

And there goes the other reason why they did downscaling …. to keep even the low levels relevant to the game and to give even max level chars a reason to go and play there.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I understand your points … and they aren’t actually relevant to anything BUT an explanation of what you don’t like about the game. In otherwords, there are things about the game you don’t like and … so what? Are you looking for converts to agree with you? Want Anet to completely change the game to make it GW1 part 2?

Frankly, I don’t see how anyone can actually complain about some of the things you do unless they don’t understand the business model the game has … which isn’t an attempt to be GW1 part 2.

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I understand your points … and they aren’t actually relevant to anything BUT an explanation of what you don’t like about the game. In otherwords, there are things about the game you don’t like and … so what? Are you looking for converts to agree with you? Want Anet to completely change the game to make it GW1 part 2?

Frankly, I don’t see how anyone can actually complain about some of the things you do unless they don’t understand the business model the game has … which isn’t an attempt to be GW1 part 2.

What makes you say that my points aren’t relevant to anything except an explanation of why I don’t like the game? I’m making my points to state my opinion. As I said earlier, this is a forum for that type of discussion.

And no I’m not seeking converts.

GW2 and stats

Ellieanna.5027

It was big when I was playing WoW. And not for the high levels to quest faster, but to just be annoying. Happened in the beginning of GW2 a lot. I remember it being a huge issue (I leveled in WvW back then, because it was so bad). Most other games don’t really have a reason to go back. SWTOR you had to do the story to be able to go to the next world really, otherwise you weren’t going to see much. Going back to grief was most of a waste of your time then harassing people since some of the really good parts were actually instances.

GW2 and stats

Obtena.7952

What makes you say that my points aren’t relevant to anything except an explanation of why I don’t like the game? I’m making my points to state my opinion.

Because you’re not stating them for any reason but to let them be known … I don’t see suggestions to fix or anything. Just a list of things you don’t like. I don’t see a purpose. I’m not really sure what you want to discuss, unless your intention was to give people the opportunity to convince you otherwise, which I doubt.

GW2 and stats

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

What makes you say that my points aren’t relevant to anything except an explanation of why I don’t like the game? I’m making my points to state my opinion.

Because you’re not stating them for any reason but to let them be known … I don’t see suggestions to fix or anything. Just a list of things you don’t like. I don’t see a purpose. I’m not really sure what you want to discuss, unless your intention was to give people the opportunity to convince you otherwise, which I doubt.

Are you my university lecturer?!

GW2 and stats

Obtena.7952

We get it, there are things about GW2 you don’t like, think are stupid, etc… That’s not actually unique. There are things I don’t like and think are stupid, and the next guy and probably almost every player. Maybe being a university lecturer would be an appropriate profession since the discussion in this thread is purely academic.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

You’re looking at it backward. Frankly, the level-scaling is one of the best things about Guild Wars 2, because it, contrary to the OP, makes the game less about stats and stat progression.

It’s not about “protecting lowbies from being griefed by High-level players”. It’s about “Making the low-level zones fun for high-level characters”. In WoW, for example, if you want to have a good time, you have to hang out in an area around your level – below it, and it’s just tedious. Meaning the entire game world is restricted to New Expansion Place. In Guild Wars 2, you can take your level 80 character anywhere and still have fun with it.

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

/sarcasm off

You, like many other people who have responded do not understand my point. For some reason you all seem so obsessed with protecting your own reasons for liking the game. This is fine, I don’t want to take that away from you. I’m merely stating my own opinions.

Claiming that I do not like rpgs is REALLY strange. How on earth did you draw that conclusion?

Oh lord, have mercy.

I could probably argue that your comments show you don’t know what an MMO is, but I’m not so stupid to make such personal attacks.

Because of your complaints about stats and weapons and armor which nearly every rpg ive ever played has had that, there may be a few where you have classless systems but there are penalities for using heavy armor while casting magic and so on.

I didnt assume you where I implied you seem to not have much experience in rpgs or like them. I respect its not for you and thats fine but you should also understand why some might think that when you say these things.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

GW2 and stats

Celtic Lady.3729

We get it, there are things about GW2 you don’t like, think are stupid, etc… That’s not actually unique. There are things I don’t like and think are stupid, and the next guy and probably almost every player. Maybe being a university lecturer would be an appropriate profession since the discussion in this thread is purely academic.

Nothing wrong with discussion for the sake of discussion. If the thread annoys you so much, you don’t have to read it. Why come into someone’s thread just to berate and insult them?

GW2 and stats

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Op asked;
AND why aren’t all armour/weapons available to wear nomatter what class your character is?

#imagine a warrior that can cast spells with a staff while wearing skinny lightweight armor, does that sounds normal to you?#

An Iron Will Marauder in Path of Exile fits that description pretty well. :P