GW2 on consoles

GW2 on consoles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

I purchased GW2 as soon as i heard that they were making a MAC client. I was thrilled!
My friends were telling me so much about it but I wasn’t able to play it until then.
So when i finally purchased the game, only because it had a “mac version under development” i found that the game was as good as i expected, i got to say it got me addicted for some time, but one little thing that kept killing the fun of the game was the FPS on macbook pros.
It was impossible to play a pvp match, a world boss and lets not even mention WvW, which was one of the features that caught my eye when I started searching about GW2.

Anyways, my point is:
I have a mac.
I only bought the game because you guys made an advertisement about a mac client.
It’s been around 3 years and I haven’t seen the Beta sticker out of the mac client.
I can’t enjoy the game on my mac, which runs the game smooth as butter on bootcamp, on the same mac (my dvd-r doesn’t read anything anymore so i can’t do a bootcamp and i am not bothered to mess around my mac’s coding to try to make bootcamp work, and neither will i pay for parallels just for GW2) so the problem isn’t my laptop, considering other mac users suffer the same problems.

BUT!!!!!
I do own an Xbox One and recently i found out that there’s an mmorpg that was for pc and now is on xbox.

I haven’t played gw2 in a very long time because it’s impossible to enjoy on mac. But I would very much enjoy playing it once again with my guildmates on my xbox one.

To wrap it all up… please consider gw2 for consoles free for those who already bought the game, ESPECIALLY MAC USERS.

Thank you

(edited by WesleySnipes.3917)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

It would be cool to be able to play GW2 on a ps4/Xbox. Both are able to use keyboards, anet would only have to figure out how to get a mouse to work…

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

BUT!!!!!
I do own an Xbox One and recently i found out that there’s an mmorpg that was for pc and now is on xbox.

I haven’t played gw2 in a very long time because it’s impossible to enjoy on mac. But I would very much enjoy playing it once again with my guildmates on my xbox one.

To wrap it all up… please consider gw2 for consoles free for those who already bought the game, ESPECIALLY MAC USERS.

Thank you

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact you want the game ported to Xbox One but most of your post is about playing on Mac?

The Burninator

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact you want the game ported to Xbox One but most of your post is about playing on Mac?

Noticed this too! Though a port would be kinda fun, might bring in more players and if it was on the Xbone I would actually have a reason to turn it on :/

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I understand the appeal…. but no thanks. As players wouldn’t be able to play across the two platforms, and would instead be separated into two large groups with no contact, I’m totally against any potential split on this level.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

A Macbook? That’s the laptop right?

I know the game runs really well on the main imac platforms – but I’d expect is worthless on a laptop lol

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

It would be cool to be able to play GW2 on a ps4/Xbox. Both are able to use keyboards, anet would only have to figure out how to get a mouse to work…

Yes! and I see that soon GW2 will be able to keybind to console controles, which is a step towards my suggestion

BUT!!!!!

Thank you

I had to introduce my idea

I understand the appeal…. but no thanks. As players wouldn’t be able to play across the two platforms, and would instead be separated into two large groups with no contact, I’m totally against any potential split on this level.

my point wasn’t to make gw2 exclusive for consoles.
That would make no sense since i said in the post that it would be nice for them to make it free for users that already own the game, just giving them a different platform to play on instead of pc, not dividing its community.

I did mention i want to play again with my guildmates again, what you said just sounds as if you didn’t read what I said.

A Macbook? That’s the laptop right?

I know the game runs really well on the main imac platforms – but I’d expect is worthless on a laptop lol

Yep, it is a laptop, the same laptop that runned the game perfectly with bootcamp, pointing that the problem is with the client.

(edited by WesleySnipes.3917)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

I honestly don’t want to see this game on other platforms simply because of the console specific issues. This game as a PC only game already sees a significant amount of problems that, in some cases, take a long time to fix. If we were to bring in PS4 and XBOne into the mix then there is just going to be more issues to go through. Also, this isn’t even factoring things like the legal paperwork side of thing for releases on consoles and that ANet would probably have to work in events to catch console players up like what was done with China release.

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

I honestly don’t want to see this game on other platforms simply because of the console specific issues. This game as a PC only game already sees a significant amount of problems that, in some cases, take a long time to fix. If we were to bring in PS4 and XBOne into the mix then there is just going to be more issues to go through. Also, this isn’t even factoring things like the legal paperwork side of thing for releases on consoles and that ANet would probably have to work in events to catch console players up like what was done with China release.

Well, there are other mmo’s doing it, I’m just pointing out an awesome idea that I personally would like to see out there because I know I’m not the only one in the current situation I am right now.

GW2 is constantly coming up with new features and some times changing old mechanics. Making the game for consoles would be a small step for them in a few years, considering soon enough you will be using a controler to play GW2 (if you prefer).

The way i see it is: i like consoles; i like mmo’s; i like gw2; gw2 will be compatible with controlers; other mmo’s are trying this method

So yeah, i’m not saying anything impossible buddy, They might even be working on it and we don’t even know it. I just want to be able to play gw2 again, and if i can’t on my laptop with my full price digital copy, maybe i could on a machine made for gaming?

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Most of the MMOs that get ported from PC to console are designed from the start to be able to support controllers, or are at least on the way to it. There’s also the problem it would likely slow down updates, because of having to port each update. And with the alternate method of updates, which is updating them separately from each other, makes it so the communities can not interact with each other.

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

Most of the MMOs that get ported from PC to console are designed from the start to be able to support controllers, or are at least on the way to it. There’s also the problem it would likely slow down updates, because of having to port each update. And with the alternate method of updates, which is updating them separately from each other, makes it so the communities can not interact with each other.

are you saying that’s what they do with their mac and windows clients?

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I did not mention the mac client at all, as creating a client for a different OS is hugely different to porting to a console.

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

I did not mention the mac client at all, as creating a client for a different OS is hugely different to porting to a console.

I thought it would be a similar process they go through when they release updates for both os’ as one client’s bug is not the same for the other. These kind of issues will always happen when you have a game running on different platforms.
Anyways, that didn’t seem as an issue to them when they announced the mac client, right?

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

cool Wesley Snipes play gw2!!! add me bro. i am a big fan

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

That would make no sense since i said in the post that it would be nice for them to make it free for users that already own the game, just giving them a different platform to play on instead of pc, not dividing its community.

I did mention i want to play again with my guildmates again, what you said just sounds as if you didn’t read what I said.

Just because I don’t support your idea doesn’t mean I didn’t read what you posted.
You don’t seem to understand they would never allow it to be cross platform like you envision. Having PC gamers, who play using a keyboard and mouse, share the same servers with console gamers is just…. not going to happen. Perhaps it would not be an issue if this game were strictly PvE, but its not. Players in one platform can not be given any special advantage or disadvantage over another player in WvW/PvP just because they’re platform has a better/easier control system.

You have to know that one would be better than the other.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

Just because I don’t support your idea doesn’t mean I didn’t read what you posted.
You don’t seem to understand they would never allow it to be cross platform like you envision. Having PC gamers, who play using a keyboard and mouse, share the same servers with console gamers is just…. not going to happen. Perhaps it would not be an issue if this game were strictly PvE, but its not. Players in one platform can not be given any special advantage or disadvantage over another player in WvW/PvP just because they’re platform has a better/easier control system.

You have to know that one would be better than the other.

You do realize that pc gamers play mmo’s with controlers all the time, its not something that was invented yesterday, it gives no advantage to any1, its a way of playing.
I am not arguing with you because you don’t like my idea i’m arguing with you because what you said about my points really did not make sense with what i wrote, you are talking about dividing community and players feeling cheated because some play with controlers?
That’s not the point nor will it be an issue; I don’t know if you are aware but Anet will give players the option to play with their xboxone/ps4 controlers so that basically thrashes your argument. I see 0 advantage playing on a controler, if you feel cheated you can as easily plug a controler to your pc, config your keybinds and live happily ever after

GW2 on consoles

WesleySnipes.3917

cool Wesley Snipes play gw2!!! add me bro. i am a big fan

you can add me man but if you ever see me online its because this thread worked

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

Others may disagree, but MMOs don’t belong on consoles.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Jourgound Meister.8561

Jourgound Meister.8561

?? Well that’s your opinion. Personally I play MMO’s with a controller because I’d rather play on my couch on my 55" TV with my 7.1 HT system. That said there are a few MMO’s that play on consoles.. FFIX, FFXIV, PHANTASY STAR and ESO. I don’t get the reluctance of some PC gamers to bring MMO’s to consoles.. who cares if you don’t like it. Personally I think it’s good for the industry, if it wasn’t for MMO’s on consoles I may have never switched to PC gaming, I would have never even touched an MMO. Guild Wars is the perfect game to port to a console it fits perfectly with the console gamer mindset and best yet since there is no monthly fee more people will be inclined to try it. That said, I understand that at least with XBOX One this may be a problem, I know FFIX (which I played on XBOX) was cross platform and so is FFXIV (PS4, PS3, PC).. so that’s not an issue.. stop making this an issue because it’s not.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’d love it, if i could play the Game on my PS4 with my PC Account on my awesome 42" Smart TV

Shouldnt it be somehow possible between PC and Smart TV to bring the game from the PC Screen to the TV?
Theoreticalyl everything that ANet then woul have to do is bringiing out for the game via a Patch integrated Console Controler Support, so that you are able, to switch the Game into the Settings from Keyboard to Controler Setting, so that you play then the game further on TV with your Game Controler, while you can then deactivate your PC Screen.

The Game would then run further on your PC in the back ground,, but everythign would just get displayed on your TV.
Somethign like that would be I guess a much much cheaper solution for Anet, cause developing console game versions costs alot of money, ressources and time and very oftenly ends up with the problenm, that if you decide to play a console version, that you then can’t play together with people on PC, due to different servers and game architecture differences between consoles and the PC.

So the best thing is to keep the game for everyone just on PC, but improve the gamign experince by gettign the game over to TV screen format by linking the PC with the Smart TV (wSmart TV would be a natural requirement for that, cause only those can be used for Internet due to having LAN Ports on their backside.

And thats how you do it basically by making your HDTV a 2nd Monitor

http://www.techhive.com/article/249362/how_to_play_pc_games_on_your_hdtv.html

Everythign thats needed after that basically is only integrated support for Game Controlers by Anet, so that if we start the game from PC first and then start the console with some specific game disc inside an log in to our accounts from the console, while beign logged in on PC already, we can then take over the game from PC to Console to play further on console.

For that to work, we would have to create first accounts for our consoles, that we than have to link together with our PC accounts (best would be to make the console account then a different named one, not the same)
if we log in then from the consoel with an console account, that is linked to a PC account, it would enable us then to play our PC account further on the console.

just some brainstorming here on my side, but I guess, in that kind of way could it work and Naet wouldnt have hat way huge development costs for console game versions

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Hey Wesley. I see a lot of people have offered opinions on why it shouldn’t be ported, however I haven’t seen anyone post reasons it won’t happen. ANet has said before that there are multiple reason that they aren’t considering a port. First and foremost, ANet’s update system isn’t compatible with the consoles currently out. There are contract issues with Microsoft and Sony, and they would actually have to pay a great deal to perform updates that can be done for free on PC. Also, to port to a console, they would have to do a huge menu re-design. As it stands now, there are way too many functions for a standard game control to handle. Even people who have come up with control configurations when playing on PC, they still have to use the keyboard and mouse for certain functions because the control can only handle so many commands. I’m sure there are other reasons as well, but these are the big ones for why it’s not likely for GW2 to come to console.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

?? Well that’s your opinion. Personally I play MMO’s with a controller because I’d rather play on my couch on my 55" TV with my 7.1 HT system. That said there are a few MMO’s that play on consoles.. FFIX, FFXIV, PHANTASY STAR and ESO. I don’t get the reluctance of some PC gamers to bring MMO’s to consoles.. who cares if you don’t like it. Personally I think it’s good for the industry, if it wasn’t for MMO’s on consoles I may have never switched to PC gaming, I would have never even touched an MMO. Guild Wars is the perfect game to port to a console it fits perfectly with the console gamer mindset and best yet since there is no monthly fee more people will be inclined to try it. That said, I understand that at least with XBOX One this may be a problem, I know FFIX (which I played on XBOX) was cross platform and so is FFXIV (PS4, PS3, PC).. so that’s not an issue.. stop making this an issue because it’s not.

Gw2 is pretty much a terrible game to port to consoles.. The game patches every other week and has a gem store that Microsoft/Sony wants a cut. Anet will needs lots of lobbying for kickbacks to make this work.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

I am a PC MMO gamer. Massive software library; every MMO is available on PC. Price-performance/versatility can’t be beaten by any other platform. Why buy anything else..?

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

Shouldnt it be somehow possible between PC and Smart TV to bring the game from the PC Screen to the TV?
(…)
The Game would then run further on your PC in the back ground,, but everythign would just get displayed on your TV.
(…)
So the best thing is to keep the game for everyone just on PC, but improve the gamign experince by gettign the game over to TV screen format by linking the PC with the Smart TV (wSmart TV would be a natural requirement for that, cause only those can be used for Internet due to having LAN Ports on their backside.

Everything like that is possible, connect your pc to your HDTV. All modern GPUs have HDMI ports.

Everythign thats needed after that basically is only integrated support for Game Controlers by Anet, so that if we start the game from PC first and then start the console with some specific game disc inside an log in to our accounts from the console, while beign logged in on PC already, we can then take over the game from PC to Console to play further on console.

It doesnt make sense, for that to work it would either need ported game for console or said console to support games being streamed to it from PC which most likely will never happen. Again, you can achieve the same by connecting pc to your TV.

For that to work, we would have to create first accounts for our consoles, that we than have to link together with our PC accounts (best would be to make the console account then a different named one, not the same)
if we log in then from the consoel with an console account, that is linked to a PC account, it would enable us then to play our PC account further on the console.

Again, why involve another hardware(console) when you can just plugin pc to your TV.

Anything viable from your idea is only a controller support.

I often play games on my 55" LED TV, even GW2. I use wireless M+K though.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

I purchased GW2 as soon as i heard that they were making a MAC client. I was thrilled!
My friends were telling me so much about it but I wasn’t able to play it until then.
So when i finally purchased the game, only because it had a “mac version under development” i found that the game was as good as i expected, i got to say it got me addicted for some time, but one little thing that kept killing the fun of the game was the FPS on macbook pros.
It was impossible to play a pvp match, a world boss and lets not even mention WvW, which was one of the features that caught my eye when I started searching about GW2.

Anyways, my point is:
I have a mac.
I only bought the game because you guys made an advertisement about a mac client.
It’s been around 3 years and I haven’t seen the Beta sticker out of the mac client.
I can’t enjoy the game on my mac, which runs the game smooth as butter on bootcamp, on the same mac (my dvd-r doesn’t read anything anymore so i can’t do a bootcamp and i am not bothered to mess around my mac’s coding to try to make bootcamp work, and neither will i pay for parallels just for GW2) so the problem isn’t my laptop, considering other mac users suffer the same problems.

BUT!!!!!

Thank you

Uhm maybe you are having low FPS because you’re playing on a kitten laptop?

And now you’re asking them to develop the game for consoles? Dude companies spend years alone doing that (ESO dev) and if they would give it away for free to current customers it would be like 110% stupid. You do realize that MMO:s aren’t supposed to be played on consoles right? What ESO did was an attempt to please the “Skyrim online” fanboys, a failure that is.

Now I’ve already written this but since you’re probably a troll I wont write anything else.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Three reasons why it’ll never happen:

• Update policy of Gw2 would have a lot of problems to be implemented in consoles.
  • Any MMO has tons of skills activations and keyboard+mouse is mandatory to be able to play decently. Console controls doesn’t have enough buttons. So or play with keyboard+mouse in a console, which is nonsense, or you start to reduce game features so less keys are needed to play.
  • Consoles CPU are extremely weak for Gw2. It would be unplayable and game engine would needed to be completely redisign, which is impossible as they even don’t upgrade from dx9 in PC.
Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

It was at this moment we knew he messed up -
—“I have a mac.”

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Anat.1765

Anat.1765

If you like gaming, don’t get a mac. Your going to be disappointed. I’ve been there, I feel your pain. The sooner you get out of that closed marketing system the better.

FFXIV was fun on the console, sometimes. If I was goofing around questing or crafting, fine. However, if I needed to really play or do something difficult, I had to get on the PC. There was just no substitute for the performance, ability to see all the details, and the controls.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Also note that XBone(d) M$ policy is to not allow cross server play. That’s why FFXIV is not on it. Having it on PS4 (non-segregated) may be nice tho depending on how good control scheme is (if I need mouse/kbd I’ll just use PC).

EU / Aurora Glade

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Don’t forget that Microsoft and Sony both vet patches before they’re released, a process which can delay patches anywhere between one to two weeks. For a game that updates as frequently as GW2 that means the console version will always have a backlog of patches waiting to be applied, so the only way PC and consoles can coexist on the same server is if ANet delays PC patches to match console patch releases.

If you want a console version, you’ll have to settle for a segregated server that’s perpetually one or two patches behind.

GW2 on consoles

Jourgound Meister.8561

You do realize that MMO:s aren’t supposed to be played on consoles right? What ESO did was an attempt to please the “Skyrim online” fanboys, a failure that is.

Now I’ve already written this but since you’re probably a troll I wont write anything else.

I think you are trolling, MMO’s can be played on consoles. The reason why there aren’t that many is for a few very valid reasons that I haven’t seen anyone here discuss.

-Main one being, RPG’s aren’t as popular as they used to be anymore. Frankly FPS are what sells consoles now days. (Mostly because most RPGS now days are pretty niche and not very fresh.. it’s all about nostalgia with RPGs now days)

-MMO players.. tend to play MMo’s on PC’s because they probably started playing MMOs in the first place.. thus how they got into MMO’s.

-Console players are even more reluctant to pay a monthly subscription to play a single game online. Which guild wars has a win here..

-Old MMO’s definitely weren’t tailored to Controller settings (no way in hell I can play Diablo 2 or EQ on a controller). However, despite what people think that is no longer true. Think about how many action buttons you have in guild wars 2 alone.. 9? Yeah I can get up to 32 different inputs using a simple combination of LT + Button and RT + Button on my controller AND control the mouse. I never even touch the keyboard and mouse except to type.

- (This one has been discussed) Yes, there are rules consoles put in place and yes XBOX one has the strictest of them. It mostly has to do with Consoles protecting the experience as much as they can AND getting revenue. (Consoles in last gen were sold at a loss or at cost, money has to come from somewhere).

However, all PC gamers who oppose the new MMO’s on consoles only argument essentially boils down to that of a child not wanting to share. “They won’t have time for PC development”, “The updates will be delayed” etc.. which aren’t true. As I said before FFXI and FFXIV are the best examples of a very well done cross platform MMO that is niche. In these games updates are frequent, digital items are sold just like in Guild Wars and the servers are MIXED.

For those of you who don’t know, when an MMO is launched in a console it takes you to a custom client just like on PC.. from which you launch the game. It’s not updated thru the consoles update system.

Honestly, Guild Wars was by far the easiest MMO to keybind to a controller ever. The only thing they need to do to support a controller is minor UI changes and figure out a controller scheme. (or allow us to bind it while retaining the controller’s functionality). I would love to be able to use my analog to do precise movements when doing the jump challenges (can’t do that on a binded controller.. ).

Out of every MMO I’ve played (Wildstar, EQ, Starwars, FFXIV, FFXI, WOW, TERA, ESO to name a few) both Wildstar and GUildwars are by far the most obvious choices for console port.. the fact that this hasn’t happened dumbfounds me. I hate to say it but it’s simple numbers economics, you may make less money per “customer” on a console but there are a hell of a lot more “customers” on consoles then there are on PC’s.. that’s a fact.

However I think the reason why Guild Wars Team may be reluctant to make the port is because ports do cost money and they aren’t sure if they will get a return on this investment. I agree it’s a risk but as some one who has only recently left consoles for PC (because of MMO’s) I can say that Guild Wars is perfect for console and it will do very well on a console. If any MMO (none has so far) is able to make a splash into the console market, this is the game to do it.

(edited by Jourgound Meister.8561)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Weird, did you try to change your in-game graphic setup? I play on a MacBook Air, and I exclusively play pvp and WvW, on mesmer/thief, without any issues.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Didnt Anet state that they arent releasing the game for consoles?

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

You bought an Xbone?
You could have just bought a PC and be done with it.
Xbone has VERY few exclusives and is kinda pointless to buy above a PC or PS4 at the moment. Especially considering your gaming needs…

Sometimes I wonder how people think about purchases…

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Just no?!
There is no way you can react like me with mouse and keyboard..
As soon as you get games released for consoles .. games are tuned down and mechanics fall.. so no ty, i prefer quality over quantity.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Just no?!
There is no way you can react like me with mouse and keyboard..
As soon as you get games released for consoles .. games are tuned down and mechanics fall.. so no ty, i prefer quality over quantity.

Just look at FFXI/FFXIV, they have great UI/control scheme and play great with a controller (even on PC). Even PS3 version looks OK, PS4 version is almost the same as PC one.

As for OP, XBone will never be MMORPG option due to MS idiotic policy. Only console ports I may play (and pay for) are ones where all players are on the same servers regardless to system (like FF*, ESO failed at that).

EU / Aurora Glade

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Anyways, my point is:
I have a mac.

BUT!!!!!

Thank you

Question:
How are you going to keybind 75 skills on a Xbox controller?

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

I hate to say it but it’s simple numbers economics, you may make less money per “customer” on a console but there are a hell of a lot more “customers” on consoles then there are on PC’s.. that’s a fact.

That’s not a fact, that’s false.
Ps4 ~ 22 millions of potential users.
Xbox One ~15 millions of potential users.

Numbers are my estimated amount of consoles sold by now, based on latest stats reported and ported to nowadays.

LoL last stats showed 27 millions of player per day, and that was a year ago. Steam last 48h shows peaks of nearly 8.3 millions of players at the same time.
And here we don’t count very popular games like WoW, Gw2, World of tanks, Diablo III, FFXIV, BF4, Smite, Minecraft…

I don’t count Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 for obvious hardware limitations, that made impossible to port such a complex game like gw2 in those consoles.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Anyways, my point is:
I have a mac.

BUT!!!!!

Thank you

So basically you buyed the crapbook to play a game what they are really bad at doing & now you want to have it port on console.
Dude just buy a decent laptop, thx.

GW2 on consoles

Pandaman.4758

For those of you who don’t know, when an MMO is launched in a console it takes you to a custom client just like on PC.. from which you launch the game. It’s not updated thru the consoles update system.

What you’re ignoring is that the vetting process (and associated fees) isn’t just the console maker charging for the use of their network, it’s the maker’s in-house QA making sure the patch doesn’t do something it’s not supposed to with the driver calls and such. It doesn’t matter if the launcher is connecting directly to the MMO developer’s servers to grab the update because it’s still installing the update on the console and thus needs to be vetted.

That being said, if it’s a server-side patch there won’t be any vetting process and there’s likely a process to fast track patches that only have content updates, but for everything else there will be additional QA (which isn’t a bad thing, mind you) and it will be delayed.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

I know this sounds funny because key and mouse is king ….

but some times I wish I could just kick back with a controller in my hands
shame this game does not support a game controller

GW2 on consoles

Jourgound Meister.8561

What you’re ignoring is that the vetting process (and associated fees) isn’t just the console maker charging for the use of their network, it’s the maker’s in-house QA making sure the patch doesn’t do something it’s not supposed to with the driver calls and such. It doesn’t matter if the launcher is connecting directly to the MMO developer’s servers to grab the update because it’s still installing the update on the console and thus needs to be vetted.

That being said, if it’s a server-side patch there won’t be any vetting process and there’s likely a process to fast track patches that only have content updates, but for everything else there will be additional QA (which isn’t a bad thing, mind you) and it will be delayed.

What you are ignoring is the rest of the post you just quoted. I doubt either you or I actually have any first hand knowledge of what the actual “update getting process” entails. However, I know for a fact that you know less than I do because you’ve never touched a console MMO. The updates are downloaded from within the client NOT the built in console update system. A server side update wouldn’t even require a mention in as an update because none of us would ever know about them unless we where told by the devs. Hence I am inclined to believe that if there is any getting process it must be a single initial deal that allows the developer client to update independently… That I believe may be an initial real obstacle and not subsequent individual updates.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I hate to say it but it’s simple numbers economics, you may make less money per “customer” on a console but there are a hell of a lot more “customers” on consoles then there are on PC’s.. that’s a fact.

That’s not a fact, that’s false.
Ps4 ~ 22 millions of potential users.
Xbox One ~15 millions of potential users.

Numbers are my estimated amount of consoles sold by now, based on latest stats reported and ported to nowadays.

LoL last stats showed 27 millions of player per day, and that was a year ago. Steam last 48h shows peaks of nearly 8.3 millions of players at the same time.
And here we don’t count very popular games like WoW, Gw2, World of tanks, Diablo III, FFXIV, BF4, Smite, Minecraft…

I don’t count Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 for obvious hardware limitations, that made impossible to port such a complex game like gw2 in those consoles.

Exactly. I don’t want to forbid to import it to any console, i’m totally open… just .. later… i don’t care how you play this game, and please don’t request any easy targeting or what so ever feature so make it easily playable on consoles…

Consoles are holding back PC gaming, there is no way you can react just like me on PC..
Just imagine playing thief on Console.. i would laugh at those thiefs so hard :P

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Game is Still currently too complex to allow simplistic button mapping for controllers, and too demanding in terms of open world and world bosses.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

If I’m not mistaken does the xbox require a subscription (xbox live) for all multiplayer features. This would undermine the no subscription business model.

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Game is Still currently too complex to allow simplistic button mapping for controllers, and too demanding in terms of open world and world bosses.

If they followed Neverwinter’s approach and made a bumper button make the certain buttons use alternative functions then you definitely can map all necessary actions for a more casual experience to a controller. However some of the special used actions like ‘about face’ and stuff would not be bound.

What I am most interested in is that the topic creator claims they will soon offer controller functionality on the computer version, which I have heard nothing of the sort and am wondering where he got this information.

I also find it amusing he thinks they can’t manage to keep the game running smoothly on Macs but wants them to add a whole other operating system for the console port to their agenda.

GW2 on consoles

Pandaman.4758

What you are ignoring is the rest of the post you just quoted. I doubt either you or I actually have any first hand knowledge of what the actual “update getting process” entails. However, I know for a fact that you know less than I do because you’ve never touched a console MMO. The updates are downloaded from within the client NOT the built in console update system. A server side update wouldn’t even require a mention in as an update because none of us would ever know about them unless we where told by the devs. Hence I am inclined to believe that if there is any getting process it must be a single initial deal that allows the developer client to update independently… That I believe may be an initial real obstacle and not subsequent individual updates.

Again, how a program installed on a console gets its update is irrelevant.

It doesn’t matter if it’s downloaded in a single chunk through the launcher or streamed through the client while you play; what matters is if a developer wants to release a patch on a console, they’re contractually obligated to certify it before releasing it.

Console makers require game developers to submit all patches (that will be installed on the console) to their in-house devs for certification, that vetting process is a well-known fact that is lamented about by more vocal developers practically every year. The only thing that really changed in the past year is that Microsoft has dropped their ($40,000) certification fee for the Xbox 360 (for certifications after the initial free one developers are allowed), they haven’t dropped the certification requirement for patches – if anything it sounds like it has become even more convoluted.

You don’t need to play a specific game to be aware of these issues, simply following game development in general is enough because so many titles these days aim for cross-platform releases; if developers aren’t sharing their experiences with news sites, then they’re sharing them with the larger community through devblogs, you would literally have to ignore every tech (not just gaming) news site and the devblogs not to realize this.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: ZeroArmada.9426

ZeroArmada.9426

Man I would love to see GW2 on the Xbox One. I haven’t been able to play at all for the past 6 months because my laptop is an overheating POS. I’ve only been able to log in, get my daily chest and log out before this thing begins trying to summon the devil himself (aka it overheats like crazy). Hell I’d be willing to pay another $60 for a console version to be honest, already put in more than $500 in to this game so why not

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

MMOs do work on consoles without being cross-platform, TESO is the best example. I have it on the Xbox and it’s full of people. They also gave people an opportunity to transfer from PC, and it works much better as an online “virtual world” experience with a proximity voice chat and not a chat window.

It’s not dumbed down, the controls fit perfectly, and TESO also has a limited skill bar like GW/GW2. It also looks magnificent, the graphics are actually multiple times better than on the PC, with a much higher framerate too, so would be in the case of GW2. The CPU of the xbone is two modules of 4core AMD Jaguars, adding up to an effective 8 cores at 1.75 Ghz. You don’t have to be afraid of performance issues.

TESO also has a cash shop, just like GW2, with cosmetic items, and it’s getting frequent updates, a new DLC area just rolled out not long ago. It’s actually a game that’s very much like GW2 in a lot of ways, even better at some areas, albeit lacking in end game and suffering from severe leveling fatugue, but that’s a different topic. Its console version also rolled out a year after its PC release.

The difficulties I see here are China, and maybe porting, but I would risk it.

(edited by chronus.1326)

GW2 on consoles

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

They would need to do a lot of work to make GW2 playable on consoles. Couple that with hardware limitations, Anet business model probably not being very wotkable for consoles, and I can see why it’s not on their radar.

You can ask, and you can hope, but it seems extremely unlikely.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA