Game Updates: Runes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This part was for me personally together with the Sigil-Stuff the most disappointing thing, where I would have expected far more, and it turned out to be somewaht underhelming as Anet changed basically nearly nothing, other then to reallocate, where which effect of the rune set stands between mostly always only effects number 2 and 4 or 5.

I really would have hoped, that Anet uses this good chance to mage far more significant bigger changes to the overall effects of all the runes andsigils, would remove some of the total obsolete ones from the game to prepare the game for some achievement optimizations on the same go to give those removerd effects in combination weith the achievements more sense and to add also alot of new interesting effects for runes as like especially sigils to give us more good build options and to make especially the already existign rune sets more useful and build defining.

Each Rune Set and Sigil shpould have somethign unique and so special, that it just makes the player want to say:

WoW, thats awesome, I want to use that one for my character X for this, that or these builds to play, or I think they could turn out very interestign with these set/sigil active on use, that they could make my character build “complete”, that you could see some kind of synergy between the chosen rune set, sigils and your chosen traits/ utility skills ect.

The only positive thing I can find from the made changes are the % changes from the on crit sigils as they have become alot more viable now together with the change, that every on crit sigil has now its own cool down time, whats interestign for two handed weapons that have now finally the option to use 2 sigils at the same time to balance them out compared to wielding 2 1handed weapons prior.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Nadha.6097

Nadha.6097

How do I get the runes from old set to new set when changing stats?
I cannot salvage, if it is a temple set with other runes?

And yes, the changes seem quite underwhelming overall. As above.

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

From a PvP standpoint:

- Runes of Balthazar are too powerful, they make condi engineer OP. Please reduce the bonus Burning duration from 45% to 30% would be a good first pass.

- Runes of Nightmare should NOT provide a 2 second fear, because its more like 3 seconds with all the bonus condition duration, allowing Necros to chain Fear targets. Please revert the Fear duration on this rune set to 1 sec.

- Runes of Strength are stupid OP right now, especially in conjunction with Sigil of Battle. Please reduce the Might bonus duration from 45% to 30%, AND decrease the damage bonus from 7% to 5%.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

Each of the boon duration runes should have been changed to give you +10% for the 2-piece, +15% for the 4-piece, and +20% for the 6-piece, in addition to all the other bonuses they currently give. That way the total for a 6-piece set is 45% (like we used to have), and it eliminates mixing the 2-piece bonus from 3 different sets.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Can’t remove runes from gear without destroying the gear or using a cash shop extractor.
Can’t guarantee getting a rune back salvaging unless you use the cash shop salvage kits.
Can’t move runes to new gear because of the transmutation stone changes.
Can’t salvage certain gear at all, have to buy extractors.
Or go buy new runes from the flipper’s paradise. I’m sure they’ll love your business.

Why would anyone want to play a game that puts you in this situation?

This is not news. This has been true for almost 2 years. Why the sudden rancor?

Because we used to be able to use transmutation stones to transfer the runes to new equipment. We can’t do that anymore, so runes worth a descent amount are stuck in them. Also, god forbid we put any decent new rune in a new piece of karma or WvW gear in fear we’ll never be able to recover it.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Posted by: veldrenor.1469

veldrenor.1469

Can’t remove runes from gear without destroying the gear or using a cash shop extractor.
Can’t guarantee getting a rune back salvaging unless you use the cash shop salvage kits.
Can’t move runes to new gear because of the transmutation stone changes.
Can’t salvage certain gear at all, have to buy extractors.
Or go buy new runes from the flipper’s paradise. I’m sure they’ll love your business.

Why would anyone want to play a game that puts you in this situation?

This is not news. This has been true for almost 2 years. Why the sudden rancor?

Because we used to be able to use transmutation stones to transfer the runes to new equipment. We can’t do that anymore, so runes worth a descent amount are stuck in them. Also, god forbid we put any decent new rune in a new piece of karma or WvW gear in fear we’ll never be able to recover it.

Also part of the problem, as I see it, is that Transmutation Crystals were significantly cheaper than Upgrade Extractors are. If we want to move runes off of karma/WvW gear now we have to spend 250 gems per rune instead of 40 gems per rune. Sure, using an Extractor doesn’t sacrifice a piece of gear like Crystals used to, but I’d say preserving a piece of old karma/WvW gear isn’t worth the extra 210 gem price tag.

Posted by: Nadha.6097

Nadha.6097

this topic does seems not get so much attention as other changes, although I find it to be an important one and was really looking foreward to the rework pre patch.
so a little push here

Spurnshadow.3678

Well, I’ll try to post something every day to keep the topic relevant. I have probably hundreds of gold worth of sigils and runes that are now useless to me without a way to consolidate or sell.

Posted by: Areoh.7495

Areoh.7495

Well, I’ll try to post something every day to keep the topic relevant. I have probably hundreds of gold worth of sigils and runes that are now useless to me without a way to consolidate or sell.

Same, and my Runes of Divinity are worthless, +18 if I have all six from +60. That is over a 30% cut in my HP, armor, toughness and other stats.

I keep wondering are you forcing me to buy your gems and gold so I have to buy/make different stuff to fix my character. Btw he was a guardian who tried to survive and provide heals and buffs to my teammates. Now he feels like paper.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Same, and my Runes of Divinity are worthless, +18 if I have all six from +60. That is over a 30% cut in my HP, armor, toughness and other stats.

((Facepalm))

A full set went for giving you +60 in all stats to +78. That’s a 30% INCREASE.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Spurnshadow.3678

Just bumping again to try to keep it in the public eye regarding this issue of hundereds of gold being lost unless a solution is made re: lack of transmutation stones. You, Anet, created this mess. You brought about some great changes, like finally being able to put 2 runes into a 2 hander. Now, please, just give us a way to get runes out of some of our 2 handers to put into the others. Thanks.

Posted by: harryt.5014

harryt.5014

D/D ele here, feeling a lot of anger after the big April 15th update.

Some background: I play about 2-3 hours a day, more on the weekends. Mostly PVE and WvW. I like running dungeons. And I was using a build posted online by a guy named Xunleashed. It relied on the crit dam bonus from Celestial gear, and on boon duration (from the 2 monk/2 water/2 traveler rune combo) to keep up might and fury.

I’ve been working hard, for months, to gear myself up to the build Xunleashed posted. And now that build has now been devastated by the April 15 changes, especially the loss of boon duration runes. And here’s what I don’t understand: why was mixing and matching runes a problem?

And now I’m totally set back because my build got nerfed to high holy heaven because . . . well, because ANet decided it didn’t like people min/maxing runes. Ummm, why is that a problem that needed “fixing”? Why has months and months of work and gold and laurels been ruined for me?

As for where to go from here? The new runes that ele’s on the forums seem to be liking are Superior Runes of Strength. One night last week, one of these cost about 7 gold, 50 silver. I need 6 for a full set. That’s over 42 gold! And later the price for those Runes has gone up near 10 gold a piece.

42-60 gold is a lot of in-game money for me. And now that the World Boss Train has basically been neutered (because of World Boss timer schedule), and champ chests from dungeons reduced, two of my big money-making sources have either vanished or been reduced.

It’s hard not to feel like I’m being punished, but I don’t know what it is I did that deserved punishing.

And now I’m wary about putting in months more time and grinding and gold and gems to re-gear myself for a new trait . . . because once I get that in place, what’s to stop ANet from coming along and arbitrarily destroying that build too? I don’t understand WHY they think the “problems” (mixing and matching runes, a world boss train, critical damage) they’ve identified are problems. And it’s frustrating to have these changes handed down with no compensation for the builds they nerf. For example, I wish after a big update that you had the one-time option to re-select the stats on the Ascended gear you already have.

I really love this game, and have had a ton of fun playing. I want to keep playing. I love my character. I want to keep playing him. But he has felt broken after the April 15th patch and the months of hard work I put into him seem wasted. It’s hard not to feel angry and discouraged about that.

Posted by: rstripn.8697

rstripn.8697

Boon durations on runes got cut so severely in this update that group buff builds are no longer viable, considering that it wasn’t a super popular build even pre-patch. This reduces build diversity, not increases it.

Please:

1) Rescale boon duration bonuses on existing sets such that they grant +10% at the 2nd superior rune. This is still lower than it used to be, and also makes the following viable:

2) Change one of the rune sets to re-validate boon duration builds, for example:

Superior Rune of the ???

• +25 Healing
  • +10 % Boon Duration
  • +50 Healing
  • + 20 % Boon Duration
  • +100 Healing
  • X

Where X is something interesting which helps the boon build.

This would overall, in comparison to before,

• grant a slight total stat increase (25+25+15 —> 25+50)
  • cause a loss of 10% boon duration (15+15+10 —> 10 + 20)
  • grant an extra ability X

This fits with your new theme: runes should have a common level of power progression, be themed, and using 6 of one should be preferable to a combination of others. It also maintains the same power level of boon builds if you design X to be approximately worth a 10% boon duration.

Posted by: Rigultru.3597

Rigultru.3597

I will just say I miss the days of GW1 of all the boons and conditions. Boons and conditions need to be more a part of GW2.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Dunno whether it was mentioned or not..
But dungeon runes are still soulbound for whatever crazy reason.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Xanthos.1574

Xanthos.1574

I have the feel that the Sigil of Blood has been nerved a bit to much.
Currently it provides healing and damage of 7.5% of your power at kitten cooldown and 50% chance on crit.
Previously it was 452Health gain and damage a 2s cooldown and a 30% chance on crit.

For my warrior with a high critical build (i have 90% in combat) i would need about 2 hits to activate it about this costs 1.5s
That means it gives me 167 healing in 5+1.5s or 26 Hp/s

It used to be with 30% about 3 to 4 hits needed to activate it and a 2s cooldown.
So that would be 452 healing in 2+2.5s or 100 Hp/s

With this the sigil has lost its usefulness to me even though I have a mix of a survival and critical build.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

your new runes of strength have made both my ele and thief VERY happy.

thanks.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold