Game does not reward healers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aquarius.7948

Aquarius.7948

So I went to build my ele for staff water atunement… but on her first test drive I noticed immediately that even though I am saving quite a few rear ends in the zerg and they are making all kinds of kills… I wasn’t getting any points for it.

Why would Anet seemingly go out of their way to discourage healing- so much that they dont even reward it as contributing to the fight?

A better World is possible.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Because the game doesn’t have a trinity system. Your support build is supposed to do damage as well. There’s no dedicated healing, just like there’s no dedicated tanking.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

As an elementalist you should be using all your attunements – even when you build for support. You’ve got so much AoE that you should be getting just as much (if not more) than other players on the battlefield.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

So I went to build my ele for staff water atunement… but on her first test drive I noticed immediately that even though I am saving quite a few rear ends in the zerg and they are making all kinds of kills… I wasn’t getting any points for it.

Why would Anet seemingly go out of their way to discourage healing- so much that they dont even reward it as contributing to the fight?

You should only heal yourself if u need it too, tune in fire for 90% dps

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This game isn’t about healers. This game is about combat medics.

Instead of healing, you have aegis, projectile reflection, blind, protect, damage buffs, etc… all of which can be accomplished while providing just as much offense as any other player.

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

Hrm, it seems like the replies to your original post have gone off at a tangent, and might not have been addressing your actual question.

The reason you don’t get any rewards from healing players (in terms of bags and stuff in wvw) is that you only get loot for enemies which you have dealt a certain amount of damage to.

To put it another way, the trigger for loot spawning is that you’ve done a certain percentage of it’s health in damage before it dies. It seems that this percentage is shared among party members, but you still have to mark the target (do at least 1 damage to it, or something anyway) even then otherwise you don’t get credit.

In a similar way you don’t get EXP for monsters dying nearby unless you hit them with an attack. These types of reward prerequisites have been used in a number of other games. I remember playing various iterations of PSO and being forced to run around marking targets as quickly as possible to ensure I got EXP when they were murdered by my higher level group members, for example.

(edited by icewyrm.5038)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Anet envisioned support in GW2 as consisting of a multitude of things, from blinds to blocks to heals to reflects, etc. Damage is universal and a multitude of other stuff is not. It’s much easier to program event or loot “credit” based on one factor than it is multiple factors, especially when game design indicates that players should be doing damage in addition to that everything else.

ANet communicated very effectively pre-launch about the lack of dedicated healers and tanks in GW2. Unfortunately, their selling point of the “GW2 trinity” still left players thinking that there would be dedicated roles, when this is obviously not the case — at least in PvE.

Posted by: Giotto.2607

Giotto.2607

they said don’t want to have a healer in this game, and they just made ele as one. But they call it support!

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

You have four elemental attunements. You should be using them. If all you’re doing is camping in water and spamming two heals on lengthy CDs, you are doing it wrong.

I play a support ele in WvW; there are numerous skills in other attunements that come in very helpful to zergs, and with the CDs on water fields, there is no reason not to switch and use them. Even when you are in water, though, you should still be getting tags on zergs through water #2.

If you want to talk about unrewarding play, try bringing a mesmer. Support eles are fine.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You have to be grouped with the people you’re supporting, then your mob tags will take into account the damage they have done too.

Also @Omar, not everyone plays purely to min-max loot, some people actually enjoy helping others, shocking I know.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You have to be grouped with the people you’re supporting, then your mob tags will take into account the damage they have done too.

Also @Omar, not everyone plays purely to min-max loot, some people actually enjoy helping others, shocking I know.

The part I’ve bolded is not true, and has never been confirmed. I read somewhere that it improves how much guild influence is earned if you’re partied with members of your guild.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This goes beyond healing or not healing. The system is pretty basic, it only rewards damage done (or resurrecting if you get to rez any NPC).- Nothing else counts toward contribution on events.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

The only benefit of being grouped is that you get contribution for a kill doing 1 damage instead of a fixed % of his total HP… that and the theories about how much guild influence you get.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

I’m ok with this.

Want rewards? Then be useful and kill something.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Combat is very one dimensional and somewhat shallow in the game.

In pve zerker meta and pew pew something stacked until it’s dead.

Pvp you have a few more options but everything in this game is indeed judged and rewarded by how much dps you do.

All else is an after thought.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

Pvp you have a few more options but everything in this game is indeed judged and rewarded by how much dps you do.

the bad thing has to go away to get your shiny.

I fail to see a problem with this.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

there are no healers… ofc you aren’t getting rewarded… no one needs your healing lol, i can handle myself just fine . ty thou..

That’s the one glaring bad thing about this game – there’s no real community. You can literally just do everything solo, on your own (outside of dungs/fractals)…
Open world events? nope, not required to join a party , no real benefit other than somewhat making it easier to tag mobs.
Teq/Wurm? nope, you will still get chest if you arent in a party
You can still get boons and reflects, etc without being a party.
Too much zerg oriented content in this game… which is great for casuals lol
WvW? nope hop on a zerg or solo roam.
PvP? outside of team arena, no need to party up.

this game could use more instanced content where it’s absolutely beneficial to be in a good, coordinated group of people. Theres too few examples of this right now. even after nearly 2 years, its only fractals/speed clearing dungs really.

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

OP, I have the same problem that you do. Sometimes I don’t want to be the damage dealer. Sometimes it just feels more gratifying to be the one that keeps the rest of the team fighting. Recently I saw a FFXIV video of a white mage that kept an Ifrit run going by dodging most of his attacks and spamming heals for 5 minutes so she could build up a level 3 limit break to revive her entire team. I miss moments having moments like that.

Also, for my elementalist, I pictured her specializing in air for single target crit damage and water for heals and condition cleanses. Unfortunately I can’t play her that way because ALL elementalists are expected to dance between all 4 elements. It boggles my mind that a class designed to do a little of everything can’t choose to specialize in just a few things. That’s like having computer programmers that are forced to use COBOL, C++, Visual Basic and Java when they only want to use C++.

SkiTz.4590

OP, I have the same problem that you do. Sometimes I don’t want to be the damage dealer. Sometimes it just feels more gratifying to be the one that keeps the rest of the team fighting. Recently I saw a FFXIV video of a white mage that kept an Ifrit run going by dodging most of his attacks and spamming heals for 5 minutes so she could build up a level 3 limit break to revive her entire team. I miss moments having moments like that.

Also, for my elementalist, I pictured her specializing in air for single target crit damage and water for heals and condition cleanses. Unfortunately I can’t play her that way because ALL elementalists are expected to dance between all 4 elements. It boggles my mind that a class designed to do a little of everything can’t choose to specialize in just a few things. That’s like having computer programmers that are forced to use COBOL, C++, Visual Basic and Java when they only want to use C++.

eh, technically you are specializing in air/water if you spec 6 into water.. you will have a load of healing/cleansing options. same goes for air

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

there are no healers… ofc you aren’t getting rewarded… no one needs your healing lol, i can handle myself just fine . ty thou..

That’s the one glaring bad thing about this game – there’s no real community. You can literally just do everything solo, on your own (outside of dungs/fractals)…
Open world events? nope, not required to join a party , no real benefit other than somewhat making it easier to tag mobs.

this game could use more instanced content where it’s absolutely beneficial to be in a good, coordinated group of people. Theres too few examples of this right now. even after nearly 2 years, its only fractals/speed clearing dungs really.

I don’t exactly disagree with you but I think you’re missing two important points. Firstly there is a big difference between doing something with other people who aren’t in your party and doing it genuinely solo. Secondly the other thing you can do without being in a party is play cooperatively with other people.

One of the best experiences I’ve had in this game was doing the Font of Rhand mini-dungeon with a bunch of randoms who happened to arrive at the same time as me. None of us knew each other and at no point were we in a party but we still played like one. We discussed how to solve the puzzles and then worked together to complete them, we coordinated attacks during the boss fights, healed and resurrected each other…everything you’d normally do with a party but without having to go through a dedicated menu first so the game could grant us permission to work together. And with the added flexibility that when more people showed up they could join in instead of being told our group was full and they’d have to wait for the next one.

GW2 is different to most MMOs in that other players aren’t a threat – everyone gets credit based on their participation and everyone can heal and help each other. Which means you’re playing together with anyone who is doing the same things at the same time, regardless of whether they’re in your party or not.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Watch “why healing power sucks” by Wooden Potatoes on youtube. Healing isn’t really that good in this game for multiple reasons. You should only switch to water attunment when your/your team’s health is really low to recover a bit, and then switch to something like fire. At least that’s the way I use it. You can trust me, I had water-healer ele with over 1500 healing power. Not rewarding at all. x/

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Since the game is not designed to HAVE dedicated healers, I’m not sure how the OPs epiphany is a surprise to anyone (except maybe the OP). Now if you are busying healing (that should NOT be needed, BTW) and not attacking your rewards WILL likely be lower than the damage dealers.

I know lots of GW1 monks that sob a bit when realizing the above…..on the other hand, I’m out playing rather than spamming “LFG need healer” in chat….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

eh, technically you are specializing in air/water if you spec 6 into water.. you will have a load of healing/cleansing options. same goes for air

That’s not specializing. To truly specialize I should be able to do something such as weapon swap in battle at the cost of fire and earth attunements. A proper elementalist should be able to choose to stick to as little as one element and feasibly excel at everything that element offers.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Because Guild Wars 2 was designed from the ground up to have no healers.
Each person takes care of his/her own healing and the most you can do is slightly help out in certain situations.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

Do you even play Teq or Wurm?
You need other players doing their jobs in different parts of the fight in order for the run to work.
Try doing teq without turrets – or wurm without reflects and tell me how it worked out.

This game also caters to people who like more independence and not being tied down to other players. If we wanted that we’d be playing other trinity games where you can’t even attempt content without certain people playing healer or tank or whatnot.

Harper.4173

That’s not specializing. To truly specialize I should be able to do something such as weapon swap in battle at the cost of fire and earth attunements. A proper elementalist should be able to choose to stick to as little as one element and feasibly excel at everything that element offers.

But that goes against the whole concept of the class in this game – which was designed around the idea of switching back and forth between all 4 attunements in order to get situational benefits from all.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you want to play a dedicated support character you’re better off with a guardian.

You’ll still be doing damage, but you’ll have a hard time doing anything without healing allies or giving them boons because virtually all your skills do that as a secondary effect.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I think the OP has a valid point but could have given a better example. Let’s suppose I run to the Grenth event with two minutes left on the final stage event. I could revive people, I could put water field around Jonez for heals, I could manage some interrupts on the summoning acolytes, but in fact what I need to do for the event reward is kill stuff as quickly as I can. Nothing else matters for rewards except damage+kills.

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

Because the game doesn’t have a trinity system. Your support build is supposed to do damage as well. There’s no dedicated healing, just like there’s no dedicated tanking.

this is basically all that needs to be said.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

You’re talking about a single spec, think about the mesmer, the whole class was build to lack aoe, and mobs melt before you can cast an illusion.
If you want the loot, you have an alternative at least.
Probably you will never been rewarded, in large group events, for your healing build.
Deal with it. :/

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

SkiTz.4590

You need other players doing their jobs in different parts of the fight in order for the run to work.
Try doing teq without turrets – or wurm without reflects and tell me how it worked out.

This game also caters to people who like more independence and not being tied down to other players. If we wanted that we’d be playing other trinity games where you can’t even attempt content without certain people playing healer or tank or whatnot.

I have done teq, many a times. and You don’t need to be in a group to win. You can just solo and hop on turret defense or join the zerg at teqs feet or shoot turrets, etc… then battery phase, just pick one and help defend it… done this countless times without needing to be in a party…. does it help to be in a full group doing a specific role? sure, more organized is always better, but I can still go in teq and it can still be successful without a party

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

The game removed healing classes and the trinity. Why would they?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Says the guy who accepted Dub’s challenge and never showed up for it, hm?

Attachments:

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

In the end, just drop some AoE heals and go back to fire

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I have done teq, many a times. and You don’t need to be in a group to win. You can just solo and hop on turret defense or join the zerg at teqs feet or shoot turrets, etc… then battery phase, just pick one and help defend it… done this countless times without needing to be in a party…. does it help to be in a full group doing a specific role? sure, more organized is always better, but I can still go in teq and it can still be successful without a party

You are missing the point entirely, I would assume because you (falsely) think that group = party. It is not like that. A teq kill cannot be done unless you are in a group, and a large one at that. You cannot kill it solo. The fact that you go there alone and not in a party does not mean that you are not in a group without which you cannot win. All those players doing the teq event form one group, each with his set task (turret op, defense, ERT, DPS zerg…) and you are part of that group and you do your bit, as do all the players there.

But I do subscribe to your point, we need more organized content and it definitely should be instanced because it is a nightmare in the open world. It should also have somewhat better rewards. The best experience I got strictly from gameplay in gw2 is the triple trouble wurm event and I would love to get more content like that.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Because this game doesnt have healers. Its only dps.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

that is incorrect.
Do please stop spreading misinformation

(edited by Ropechef.6192)

Harper.4173

A party is a 5 man group.

A zerg is a 40 man group. You still need to be part of groups to succeed at teq, you still need defense groups, turret groups, the ERT and so on – but you don’t need those small groups.

How is that an issue?
The encounter still requires strategy, organization and group play – but on a bigger scale than 5 man.

If you want 5 man scaled content – dungeons and fractals are where you need to go – and you will see the clear benefit of having a group there.

Do a dungeon with 2-3 people or solo – then do it with 5 people. And the difference will be clear.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

I don’t know why OP is surprised that he don’t get loot from his opponents while healing his team mates while he is aware of team mates getting loot by killing his opponents.
Logic flaw aye?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Personally I wouldn’t mind getting an event participation for resurrecting dead people. Or healing. Or controlling. Obviously if you only sit back and heal you should get bronze.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

OP, join a party. .. Should instantly make it easier to get more bags.
__
I think if anet could code in healing as contribution they would, but it’s a little more complicated than that. Especially in the likes of WvW, where your loot comes from dead bodies.

Maybe they could have a random loot drop chance when you rez people too? But only if there’s been a skirmish. idk
I suspect it’s easier to as for these things than it is to code it in.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

In the end, just drop some AoE heals and go back to fire

^^ So much THIS ^^

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

SkiTz.4590

A zerg is a 40 man group. You still need to be part of groups to succeed at teq, you still need defense groups, turret groups, the ERT and so on – but you don’t need those small groups.

How is that an issue?
The encounter still requires strategy, organization and group play – but on a bigger scale than 5 man.

If you want 5 man scaled content – dungeons and fractals are where you need to go – and you will see the clear benefit of having a group there.

Do a dungeon with 2-3 people or solo – then do it with 5 people. And the difference will be clear.

And that was my point….. theres hardly ANY new group/party content that is rewarding.
Dungs – seriously, sick and tired of hearing about this nonsense. All anyone does now is just a couple for daily runs of gold and thats it. Dungs have BARELY been touched/upgraded for 2 years. Look at the PUGs on LFG tool, its a joke how much of an after thought dungs are in this game now. Hardly anyone does them.
Fractals – I enjoy them, but theres gotta be more variety and better rewards for the time spent in there. A lot of ppl do them for those fractal skins and its soo badly RNG based it’s not even worth it anymore for me.
Teq/Wurm – Not a true PARTY required content like fracs/dungs. Again, yes you need a coordinated zerg to do these 2 , but still. Its usually only successful once a day thing and you don’t need to be in a party because this is an open world raid and everyone in the area is basically in a big party without actually joining up.

Point is theres just no content in this game that says “oh god, better get someone with a ton of healing power and cleanses or i’m screwed” Get rid of that mentality OP, if you want feel rewarded as a healer, play a different MMO with trinity like Wildstar. There’s no other role in this game besides DPS (talking strictly PvE here, WvW and PvP is a different story)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

How is that an issue?

And that was my point….. theres hardly ANY new group/party content that is rewarding.
Dungs – seriously, sick and tired of hearing about this nonsense. All anyone does now is just a couple for daily runs of gold and thats it. Dungs have BARELY been touched/upgraded for 2 years. Look at the PUGs on LFG tool, its a joke how much of an after thought dungs are in this game now. Hardly anyone does them.
Fractals – I enjoy them, but theres gotta be more variety and better rewards for the time spent in there. A lot of ppl do them for those fractal skins and its soo badly RNG based it’s not even worth it anymore for me.
Teq/Wurm – Not a true PARTY required content like fracs/dungs. Again, yes you need a coordinated zerg to do these 2 , but still. Its usually only successful once a day thing and you don’t need to be in a party because this is an open world raid and everyone in the area is basically in a big party without actually joining up.

Point is theres just no content in this game that says “oh god, better get someone with a ton of healing power and cleanses or i’m screwed” Get rid of that mentality OP, if you want feel rewarded as a healer, play a different MMO with trinity like Wildstar. There’s no other role in this game besides DPS (talking strictly PvE here, WvW and PvP is a different story)

Yes, the game don’t reward being a pure healer. It is because being healer is optional, not a requirement. If healer is considered as combat requirement, what is the differences to a trinity model?

The whole point of creating GW2 is to evolve away from healer tank dps model therefore it is pointless to make contents based on a need of healer.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

How is that an issue?

No a zerg is not just a 40 man group – A zerg is a MINDLESS 40 man group – for definition see CHAMP TRAINS. At Tequatl and the 3 headed Wurm, the group have to be coordinated so that is not a zerg. People wanted content that used more the 5 people and we got it. Now people are complaining about that.

SkiTz.4590

How is that an issue?

Yes, the game don’t reward being a pure healer. It is because being healer is optional, not a requirement. If healer is considered as combat requirement, what is the differences to a trinity model?

The whole point of creating GW2 is to evolve away from healer tank dps model therefore it is pointless to make contents based on a need of healer.

I agree, but I think OP is asking why he is harming himself in terms of rewards by playing a more healing based spec….

In terms of PvE in MMOs, trinity had 3 roles. Now we only 1, DPS. This is not a “evolve” as you as said.

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

that is incorrect.
Do please stop spreading misinformation

Not quite as incorrect as you want to claim.

The Zerker or GTFO meta is proof enough of this.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

The Zerker meta is more about support not being gear dependant, rather than just dealing damage. Else necro’s would be just as wanted in PvE as Guardians and Elementalists are.

Support is dominant in every from of the game, even more so than damage.

(edited by Rangersix.1754)

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

The Zerker meta is more about support not being gear dependant, rather than just dealing damage. Else necro’s would be just as wanted in PvE as Guardians and Elementalists are.

How so? Almost all of the desirable support (vulnerability, might, fury, reflects, damage multipliers like banners and frost spirit, etc.) in PvE is about increasing group DPS, right? Most dungeon groups (other than maybe high level fractals) don’t really care about CC, healing, or defensive support, do they? They just want each player to bring the minimum need to stay alive while producing as much DPS as possible.

Btw, this is not so much a criticism as an observation. The game appears to have been designed for this.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

How so? Almost all of the desirable support (vulnerability, might, fury, reflects, damage multipliers like banners and frost spirit, etc.) in PvE is about increasing group DPS, right? Most dungeon groups (other than maybe high level fractals) don’t really care about CC, healing, or defensive support, do they? They just want each player to bring the minimum need to stay alive while producing as much DPS as possible.

Btw, this is not so much a criticism as an observation. The game appears to have been designed for this.

Block, Aegis, Retaliation, Steath, Reflection, Absorbtion, Daze, Stun, Blind, Pull, Wall.

Snow Crows [SC]