Gamers: Have we become more Greedy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DocHolliday.5921

DocHolliday.5921

A) I’ve seen far more people coming in than going out. I could be wrong, but you could be too. There aren’t any official numbers, and so this really boils down to a “He said, she said” argument.

You’re the only person who’s said that in quite some time. Many people are pointing out that they see lots of people leaving. Yeah, you’re most likely wrong.

B) GW2 was never stated to be anything like GW1.

What are you, on their legal team? This isn’t a trial, you know. Yes, they most certainly advertised the game before release as being “A lot like GW, only better!!” Again, they had to, to keep the GW1 fanbase around.

C) The “ruining the game” quip wasn’t about complaining threads. It was about how everyone seems to have an idea about how GW2 is so awful, and could be better by making it like GW1 or WoW or another popular game. Some people think living story should be scrapped, and expansions made instead. Some people think that since everyone’s running zerker, the best way to increase diversity is to put a dedicated tank and healer back into the game. I won’t get all melodramatic and say that I’d quit if those happened, but I would definitely end up playing a good bit less.

And most of those posts from many different people say exactly the same things. Sure, there’s a few outliers that are different, but you’re always going to have those, even in a game that is successful beyond belief.

The two main complains are:

A. People don’t want a gear treadmill
B. People don’t want the meaningless garbage content every 2 weeks; where’s the type of 6-month and 1-year content updates that GW1 had?

Most of the complaints are simply subsets of those. Not all, no, but most.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

When a game is advertised as having everything that GW1 players liked about GW1 then it is being stated as being like GW1.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

A) I’ve seen far more people coming in than going out. I could be wrong, but you could be too. There aren’t any official numbers, and so this really boils down to a “He said, she said” argument.

You’re the only person who’s said that in quite some time. Many people are pointing out that they see lots of people leaving. Yeah, you’re most likely wrong.

Him and The only people who can say for sure.

Arenanet claim the player count is on the rise after the initial slump after release.
Not only that but those players are also playing longer on average.

I tend to believe that considering on sunday I saw something that made me gasp… an overflow in southsun!

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

When a game is advertised as having everything that GW1 players liked about GW1 then it is being stated as being like GW1.

Anet said a long time ago that GW2 would have everything that GW1 had and more. Promises made and promises broken.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

It was about how everyone seems to have an idea about how GW2 is so awful, and could be better by making it like GW1 or WoW or another popular game

This line really grabbed my attention. I find it very humorous you associate GW1 and WoW together. GW2 is, relatively speaking, a lot more like WoW than GW1 that you’d have to be blind not to see that.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

I see more people on forums saying that everybody’s leaving, but I see more people in game demonstrating otherwise.

What are you, on their legal team? This isn’t a trial, you know. Yes, they most certainly advertised the game before release as being “A lot like GW, only better!!” Again, they had to, to keep the GW1 fanbase around.

I guess I’ll concede on that point.

And most of those posts from many different people say exactly the same things. Sure, there’s a few outliers that are different, but you’re always going to have those, even in a game that is successful beyond belief.

The two main complains are:

A. People don’t want a gear treadmill
B. People don’t want the meaningless garbage content every 2 weeks; where’s the type of 6-month and 1-year content updates that GW1 had?

Most of the complaints are simply subsets of those. Not all, no, but most.

There’s also people wanting the trinity back, people complaining about lack of PvP type diversity, and a bunch of other complaints.

It was about how everyone seems to have an idea about how GW2 is so awful, and could be better by making it like GW1 or WoW or another popular game

This line really grabbed my attention. I find it very humorous you associate GW1 and WoW together. GW2 is, relatively speaking, a lot more like WoW than GW1 that you’d have to be blind not to see that.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

I didn’t say “GW2 and WoW”, I said “GW2 or WoW”. People that come here from GW1 tend to want the game to be more like GW1, people who come from WoW tend to like it more like WoW. This game’s playerbase has large amounts of both, given that one’s the prequel in name and the other is (I think, might be wrong) the biggest MMO currently.
I realize that GW2 is more like WoW than GW1. I never made any claim otherwise.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Obsidian.1328

^

Well “or” doesn’t just mean a link to an alternative, it also means “introducing a synonym or explanation of a preceding word or phrase.” Which is how you used it there.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

^

Well “or” doesn’t just mean a link to an alternative, it also means “introducing a synonym or explanation of a preceding word or phrase.” Which is how you used it there.

No, I used it as “this or that”. Which is a link to an alternative.

Regardless, I think you’re now clear on what I meant, and we can stop arguing semantics.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Anet said a long time ago that GW2 would have everything that GW1 had and more. Promises made and promises broken.

QFT. That and more.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Promises made and promises pretty much kept in my mind. Then again, I didn’t expect them to keep every statement of intent to begin with. I knew the larger MMO market would resist the changes Arena.net wanted to bring to the table.

What makes your opinion the right one?

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I think he’s most likely right.

After all, how do you know that you and your chums are at all representative of the majority of the playerbase? That’s what you’d need to know to make your anecdotal evidence extrapolatable.

Another point: players come and players go. You have no idea whether you and your friends are being replaced by different kinds of players or not.

Last point: forums are not necessarily representative of the majority’s opinion. They can be, sometimes, but it takes a real game-breaker to get people onto forums who aren’t the usual suspects.

I’ve been around on many MMOs, and for me, this doesn’t have the feel of a game that’s in trouble at all, quite the contrary. Unlike, say SWTOR, where you could tell that the forums were representative, and that numbers were actually dwindling fast, or even going back to AoC, when there was a similar scenario – it was easy to tell in-game that it was losing people by the thousands. This game just doesn’t have that vibe for me at all. Not even close.

Anecdotal, sure, but none of us have the numbers, or even the wherewithal to figure out the numbers from anything we do in-game.

Obsidian.1328

^

No, I used it as “this or that”. Which is a link to an alternative.

Regardless, I think you’re now clear on what I meant, and we can stop arguing semantics.

But you didn’t.

It was about how everyone seems to have an idea about how GW2 is so awful, and could be better by making it like GW1 or WoW or another popular game.

The way you worded it with “or another popular game” implies that gw1 and wow share a common characteristic, namely being popular. You used them both as synonymous for popular games, not alternatives between each other.

Just sayin…

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care