Gem Prices

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

When do Gems for gold go down. Will they ever go down to like 10 gold. Cause I wanna switch servers and wanna know the best time to do it. Will they drop after patch?

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Scrribble.7496

Scrribble.7496

Gems for gold will go down when more players exchange real money for gems, then to gold, if my understanding is correct. Gem prices go up because more players want to use their gold for them, rather than buying gems with real money to convert to gold. But, to hear more in depth conversations on it, check out the black lion trading forum. There are a fair number of threads on it.

| Mizarhi | Mesmer | [BA] | CD |
| My GW2 Project 365 Gallery |

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Gems for gold will go down when more players exchange real money for gems, then to gold, if my understanding is correct. Gem prices go up because more players want to use their gold for them, rather than buying gems with real money to convert to gold. But, to hear more in depth conversations on it, check out the black lion trading forum. There are a fair number of threads on it.

This is correct. As long as more people exchange gold for gems then the other way around the price will keep going up. And as you can see you still want to exchange gold instead of gems so clearly the price isn’t high enough yet.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The gold for gems ratio will continue to go up over time. It will fluctuate from time to time, but will trend steadily upwards unless more desirable things that cost gold are introduced into the game than desirable things that cost gems.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The gold for gems ratio will continue to go up over time. It will fluctuate from time to time, but will trend steadily upwards unless more desirable things that cost gold are introduced into the game than desirable things that cost gems.

Yup.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If they really want to make money, then they need to get rid of the Gold > Gem and then start putting more desirable things on the gemstore (convenience items).

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

So never then. There will always be players who don’t use real money.
On the bright side eventually the gem → gold ratio will be very attractive.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

If they really want to make money, then they need to get rid of the Gold > Gem and then start putting more desirable things on the gemstore (convenience items).

You are aware that those gems that they trade for gold needs to have been bought with real money in the first place, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Gold to Gem funds Gem to Gold. And if you’ve ever spent time looking at the Exchange Rate charts you will see bumps up in the rates every time something highly desirable appears, reappears or goes on sale in the Gem Shop which is caused by the flood of gold to gems.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Currently we have a bigger influx of new players. Many of them need additional slots for rucksack, bank and even characters. Additionally season 2 will start next week with new special offers in the gem store. Finally people will start to buy missed episodes of season 2 in near future. All this will cause a higher demand in gems. There is a good chance that we will see 14-15 gold per 100 gems in late summer.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

So… wait, if people buy gems and immediately spend it on gem store items instead of converting it to gold, does that not affect the gold->gem conversion rate?

I can understand the rate going down if more people buy gems with real money, but if you _have- to convert it to gold first then the system would be inherently stacked against gold for gems. Who would buy gems to convert to gold with such a skewed exchange rate? Spend $10 on gems so you can convert it to enough gold to buy $6 worth of gems? If that’s the case there’s little wonder people gold->gem rates keep going up and people keep getting suckered by gold sellers.

That’s can’t possibly be the case, I trust.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

Nope, it only effects it if you actually add it to the system.
Gems are not added to the trading automatically because people buy gems. They are added because people use their gems to trade them for gold.

IF you buy gems and then trade them for gold, you don’t really care much about the Gold-Gem price, seeing as you would not have traded them in the first place if you wanted gems.

You trade gems to gold because you want an extra boost of gold.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Buy it now, if you wait, it’ll only be more expensive. ANet resetting the price would be an economical and PR nightmare so it won’t happen so the price will just keep on rising, forcing people eventually to bite down and buy gems directly from ANet or succumb to the temptations of gold sellers.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

I’m wondering if gold sellers have increased their business recently. The mass bans in the past removed bots for a long time, but since the hacked account stuff started the rate has kept rising. Are people just buying gold from botters then converting it into gems? That would certainly keep the gold/gem rate climbing artificially.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Gems and their value will continue to rise. There will be some dips here and there but it’s simply something that will continue to increase. More players want to turn gold into gems, rather than gems into gold.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

So never then. There will always be players who don’t use real money.
On the bright side eventually the gem -> gold ratio will be very attractive.

Exactly right, I keep a good 4k gems on hand for when I see something that is wanted. Occasionally I look at the gem > gold ratio and think to myself “soon”, but not quite yet. I for one am hoping it goes so high that I can afford to just buy BL chest skins (scraps for weapons) I want for a decent price when they come out so as to avoid the RNG monster.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Gold to Gem funds Gem to Gold. And if you’ve ever spent time looking at the Exchange Rate charts you will see bumps up in the rates every time something highly desirable appears, reappears or goes on sale in the Gem Shop which is caused by the flood of gold to gems.

To be technical, GW2 shouldn’t have either of them. It keeps potential money from going into the store and at the same time completely destroying any prestige a Legendary has. And despite what the white knights think, it also turns a game into P2W.

Having overpriced items on the store doesn’t help either.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

At one point the 100Gems -> 10Gold looked very very tempting. If it goes as high as 15gold I won’t be able to resist the temptation.
At least I don’t have very many gems to convert and hope that I don’t ever really do it. OP would benefit from someone with a metric tonne of gems to convert to gold when they decide the conversion price is right.

EDIT: To be clear I’m not advocating the conversions one way or another. Just stating personal feelings when I look at the exchange rate and salivate. Trying to get multiple crafting professions to 500 & creating one ascended weapon thus far is killing my gold supply as it’s never been really high.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

To be technical, GW2 shouldn’t have either of them. It keeps potential money from going into the store and at the same time completely destroying any prestige a Legendary has. And despite what the white knights think, it also turns a game into P2W.

In complete agreement with this . Would much rather have the gem store sell the absolutely useless fluff items for gems only, along with perhaps a few prestige skins. Everything else should be unlockable with either gems, gold or though grinding some area of content (a bit like the tomes of knowledge and transmutation charges in PvP reward tracks).

And the pricing is definitely out of whack, imo. Kind of surprised there haven’t been more threads about this. Or maybe I’m just a cheapskate. Having entire game cost $40, while a single armor skin is $10? That’d be pretty pricey even for a f2p game.

As it is I’m just glad I got on board early while gold -> gems was still a viable option. A lot of new players must be pretty bummed about this.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

The entire game costs $40, but a single armor skin is $10? That’d be pretty costly even for a f2p game. Just glad I got on board early while gold -> gems was still a viable option for a consistent and moderately skilled player.

It might be costly, but it also 100% optional. You don’t gain any kind of advantage for buying said skin and it doesn’t effect the game in any way or form.

How would you suggest they financed the continued development of the game without having stuff costing some money for sale?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Did you read the rest of my post? I don’t have a problem with a cash shop in this game, I just think $10 for a skin is pricey.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Did you read the rest of my post? I don’t have a problem with a cash shop in this game, I just think $10 for a skin is pricey.

It costs $10 because people buy them.

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Gems and their value will continue to rise. There will be some dips here and there but it’s simply something that will continue to increase. More players want to turn gold into gems, rather than gems into gold.

more players want to turn gold into gems, because they have less use for gold, than they do gems. If there was more use for gold, people wouldnt want to turn it into gems as much.

Say you are building a legendary, gems is doing nothing for you at all. The key here is there is not a lot of value in gold the longer you play, unless you are going for legendaries.
ascended was probably supposed to help fill this gap, and it did to an extent, but i think many players just abandoned ascended pursuits, because it really isnt that fun/useful compared to the grind for it. bleh need some fun goals

Gem Prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It doesn’t matter if purchased Gems are spent in the store or not. The key is to get players to purchase Gems with cash. What they do afterward doesn’t matter. The increasing Gem to Gold rate is just creates another “item” you can spend your $10 of Gems on.

And most items aren’t overpriced. Perfect World sells their keys for $1.25 for 1 and $11.25 for 10. Our keys are $1.56 for one or $11.25 for 10. Their “outfits”, three pieces (head, top, bottom) range in price from $8 to $20.

Turbine sells their proxy currency at different price per based on quanity from $8 for 600 TP to $200 for 23000 TP. Armor skins in DDO ranges from 495 to 995 TP or $4.30-6.60 for the cheapest armor to $8.65-13.27 for the most expensive. Our full armor skins range from 500 to 800 gems for a full set or $6.25-10.00. Their minis are 195-395 TP each or $1.70-2.60 to $3.44-$5.27, ours $3.75 for 3.

Even in Guild Wars skins were $7.00.

Without spending anymore time showing you examples by point is, ANet is in the ballpark with their prices compared to other MMOs. Even more so if you take into consideration how easy it is for us to convert in-game rewards to gems.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes