Gem Store item idea I would gladly pay for

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Experience Orb.
single use, Account bound

what is it?

- this item when activated will gather all experience gained by the character it is on to a maximum of 500.000 exp points.
- you can right click the orb buff at any particular amount and lock it down for transfer.
- once the orb is locked down it can be transferred to any of your characters, this character will gain all of the experience points in the orb. the orb is destroyed in the process

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

So this is basically a tool used to level up slightly another character. One-time only per account. Useless, we already have scrolls that get your char straight to level 20 and then Tomes of Knowledge to get additional levels.

Latinkuro.9420

where did you read one time only per account ?
single use as in it is not a reusable item, when it’s full you need to buy a new one lol !

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

Basically, a leveling up shortcut, by means of taking levels from one character and moving them on to another?

What would happen to the first character? I assume you’d have to unequip it first since it might end up too low level for the equipment you had on it.
Will it lose skill points too? What about the ones you already used to purchase skills? And would those skills be unavailable again? Would traits reset?
Would it also keep map completion of areas above it’s post-transfer level, like Orr?

I don’t see this suggestion going through, considering there are already ways to get free levels (tomes of knowledge, 20 level scrolls, etc) and ways to get easy levels (EOTM zerg, fast dungeon runs, a variety of consumables and boosters). It’s definitely not a serious necessity.

Then again, it would be a commodity and there’s definitely enough people who don’t want to be bothered and would just rather pay. Not totally outlandish.

zoejo.2317

Thought of this in the meantime:

1. Dump 10 levels from a level 80 character into a new one;
2. Use the now level 70 character to run easy dungeons and get it back to 80;
3. Repeat.

It’s almost paying directly for levels.

Latinkuro.9420

you people seem to not understand how this works at all.

- Basically the character you activate this on would not gain experience itself and thus would not gain skill points either, as long as the orb is active that is. once the orb is no longer active the character would gain experience and skill points normally again.
- this has nothing to do with previously acquired skill points or world completion or any of that.

issues this item would solve for me

- I like running dungeons but…I don’t like spending 45 minutes in a dungeon I could run in 10 minutes with my warrior, ele or guardian.
- it is annoying to try and find decent parties to run low level characters with in dungeons and such runs take forever…..
- I don’t like running inefficient classes in dungeons but some of those classes are actually pretty good at other game types aka WvW.

let me give you an example, that might clear things up a bit and make it easier to understand

- make an LFG for a speedrun of say AC, TA, CoF, SE, CoE and so on.
- equip the orb on my warrior, run the dungeons and gather all the experience acquired into it.
- lock the orb put it in my bank, switch characters and use the orb on my low level alt,
voila, this character gains all of the experience and skill points my warrior would’ve earned.
- once the orb is unequipped my warrior continues to gain experience and skill points as usual.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Too easily exploitable due to the different amounts of exp needed and gained per level.

To gain 500k exp at lvl 80, you need to lvl twice but those 500k exp would catapult a new character to lvl 40.

That would also mean, i gain 40 skillpoints instead of 2.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Latinkuro.9420

Too easily exploitable due to the different amounts of exp needed and gained per level.

To gain 500k exp at lvl 80, you need to lvl twice but those 500k exp would catapult a new character to lvl 40.

hmmmm interesting http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

yeah I see your point and it would need some kind of normalization.
something akin to say, you only gain the experience but not the skill points by using the orb.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

- I like running dungeons but…I don’t like spending 45 minutes in a dungeon I could run in 10 minutes with my warrior, ele or guardian.
- it is annoying to try and find decent parties to run low level characters with in dungeons and such runs take forever…..
- I don’t like running inefficient classes in dungeons but some of those classes are actually pretty good at other game types aka WvW.

People already get around this. How? They ask if someone else is willing to open the dungeon, and at the very end of the run, HOLD the cutscene so that you can switch to the character you want the experience on. If they arent, drop group and try again, or run with friends.

zoejo.2317

I see now. Experience gained while the orb is active. Not previously gained.
My bad.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Half a million XP isn’t all that much for a level 80. According to the wiki a level 80 needs 4,860,359 xp to level up. IMO it shouldn’t let you level down, but will take all the XP you have on hand (run a dungeon for 70% XP, use orb, buy orb, run a dungeon to get 70% use orb, buy orb).

Posted by: Delgan.8619

Delgan.8619

something akin to say, you only gain the experience but not the skill points by using the orb.

How does this matter, 40 skill points on a character that has no requirement for them other than unlocking skills – all items bought via skillpoints are soulbound not account thus nothing would need be done.

Loving this idea.

Delgan Cortex – Mesmer Lv80
Guild: N/A
Seafarer’s Rest – EU

(edited by Delgan.8619)

Latinkuro.9420

People already get around this. How? They ask if someone else is willing to open the dungeon, and at the very end of the run, HOLD the cutscene so that you can switch to the character you want the experience on. If they arent, drop group and try again, or run with friends.

I know this exists but….

I hate character switching like this with a passion
so many runs ruined by kittens that do not know they cannot switch at the end if they started the instance, so many parties that do not manage to finish the boss while I was loading and wipe :S grrrrr

this item would save me from all that grieve

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It would still only take 20 lvl ups at lvl 80 to gain enough experience to catapult a new char from 2-80.

I think it would only be fair, if not experience is stored, but lvl ups.

Apart from that, this is the wrong section for this kind of suggestion.

There is an existing post in the BLTP Forum where you can post stuff that you would like to see in the gem store.

The people responsible for adding new stuff to the gem store, dont look into general discussion, so i suggest to report your on post and ask a mod to merge your topic with the existing one in the right forum.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Latinkuro.9420

Half a million XP isn’t all that much for a level 80. According to the wiki a level 80 needs 4,860,359 xp to level up. IMO it shouldn’t let you level down, but will take all the XP you have on hand (run a dungeon for 70% XP, use orb, buy orb, run a dungeon to get 70% use orb, buy orb).

wrong chart mate :P

the 4 million is cumulative throughout your way from level 1 to level 80.
at level 80 you only need 254.000 exp to gain a level but as Wanze.8410 pointed out
500.000 exp is the equivalent of levels 1 to 40.

this new idea just came to me now

How about an item that allows me to convert 254.000 exp into a tome of knowledge ?

that would solve the gaining 40 levels in one go and allows me to run the dungeons with my favorite toon while still allowing me to level my alt without all the kittenty of swapping at the end and all the mishap that it entails.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

You’re right, I didn’t read the OP properly and thought you meant one-time per account.

Still, the fact that we have lvl 2-20 scrolls and then Tomes of Knowledge makes this kinda useless.

If you want to level up fast and don’t have scroll/tomes, just pop a XP booster and join the Edge karma train for quick levels, plenty loots and soon-to-be account bound WXP. It’s a win all around.

Aidan Savage.2078

I know this exists but….

so many runs ruined by kittens that do not know they cannot switch at the end if they started the instance, so many parties that do not manage to finish the boss while I was loading and wipe :S grrrrr

And as the internet meme goes… “You’re doing it wrong.” You dont switch at the boss. You switch in the time between the boss dying and the cutscene starting. Much less prone to failure unless someone forgets to hold the cutscene. Also, it still validates my point of running the dungeon with friends.

Latinkuro.9420

I know this exists but….

And as the internet meme goes… “You’re doing it wrong.” You dont switch at the boss. You switch in the time between the boss dying and the cutscene starting. Much less prone to failure unless someone forgets to hold the cutscene. Also, it still validates my point of running the dungeon with friends.

yes, yes, yes and
no, no, no

yes, you can do your runs with friends.
no, I cannot.

why ?

most of them are pandas (for lack of a better word) and it would take forever to complete dungeons with them, also most of my very short list of IRL people I would call friend, are not gamers and the ones that are do not play gw2 to my dissapointment.

so with that.

experience orb idea or
experience to tome of knowledge converter. (I like this one even better)

Aidan Savage.2078

Then look for a guild that runs dungeons and can help you. There’s much easier things you can do than ask anet to do than something that would take months of coding.

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

That’s one of the worst ideas i’ve ever seen.

It’s basically powerleveling your alts by buying stuff from the CS.

It’s really unfair for those who don’t have a lvl80 zerk warrior to spam dungeons and GG, alt to 80 in what? half week?. I think It would be even better to just sell Tomes of knowledge in the CS, as it’d “fair” for more people (those who CS, while your suggestion is for those who CS “and” have a lvl80 zerk warrior).

Maybe, just maybe, you could make it like it doesn’t get EXP points, but % of levels, and even put in a penalty. Look at it as a “Tome of knowledge” maker, with a rather small max ammount of levels (maybe 5?)

This way with one run you wouldn’t get your lvl1 alt to lvl20, but to 70% of lvl1, just like if your alt had run that dungeon.