Get rid of Orange Adverts at top right [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

So Anet are now on a mission to fill the top right of my screen with adverts for things they are apparently insisting I read constantly.

Is there any way to get rid of “Forsaken Thicket” this and “pvp leagues” that? Now with extra “ESL blah blah pro league” I really couldn’t give a monkeys about these things

How do I get rid of them and I dunno maybe suppress all future spam that I don’t want up there? Adblock plus plus maybe?

How can I make it go away?

Posted by: Agnes.3259

Agnes.3259

As someone playing on a 4:3 monitor, I’d also really want to make it disappear, a lot of space wasted

Posted by: Warobaz.9543

Warobaz.9543

That would be great. Even when you’re interested, you don’t need to have them permanently displayed (and I don’t play GW2 from my bathroom, so no need of extra reading).
Maybe adding a notifications system would help.
Display them on connect, for a few seconds, then they go in a dedicated notification panel, or maybe the ig mailing window, like the messages you get after completing renown hearts

Norn to be Alive [NtbA]

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

Psychological advertising…. the longer its there the more likely, they think, you are to having a look….. Did you notice that the pre release pricing page allways opened up with the highest price option highlighted…. sort of thing you get after “someone” talked to a consultancy….

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not adds but content announcements. True. I think we all know that raids are up by now and the league is on the loading screens and any limitations/restrictions on PvP due to the season should be limited to the PvP lobby.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

They are advertising other parts of their game….. not product adds. The more area’s you play in leads, potentionally, to more gear that you need to buy….. one way or another…
Already incrased the number of my “banks tabs” because of all the stuff that does not stack with HOT…. times that by a million players… you do the maths…

Used to be easy to play this game without spending a real penny….. now… not so much

Behellagh.1468

What do you need to buy for PvP?

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

Even though I have a decently-sized screen, I’ve been wishing for this myself, because I hate extraneous clutter. I would, eventually, like to try Forsaken Thicket, but I don’t need a constant visual reminder. As to the PvP Leages, ESL and whatever… I simply do not care, and the in-your-face advertising of those events will NOT change that.

They were so worried about “visual noise” when they nerfed skill effects, but apparently they are far less worried about seemingly permanent on-screen noise.
I don’t have an issue with Anet trying to generate revenue; after all, the game is Buy to Play, and they do need to make money. However, if people are not interested in something, they are not interested. This is why I roll my eyes when companies on the Internet complain about Ad Blockers; if people are going to the effort of installing things like that, clearly they are not potential customers.

(edited by Artemis Noir.3804)

Behellagh.1468

Even if they allow us to dismiss them with a click.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: angora.4768

angora.4768

“ESL Tournament” = “English as a Second Language Tournament”

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

because moneys.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

It’s frustrating that there are notes about the raid content there…when I have spent hours doing that very same content – I really don’t need it on my screen after that.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

This is like putting up permanent advertisement on the school’s blackboards, advertising cruise ships to Hawaii, when the audience looking at it trying to get on with school, is 6th grade and under. Only beneficial audience of something like that is the teachers. It’s more of a nuisance to trying to get on with what they are there for, than any beneficial advertisement, and it doesn’t go away.

Just trying to illustrate it. :U

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

There are 3 at the same time now. It’s getting excessive.

If they’re supposed to be notifications, they should be dismissible when we acknowledge we’ve been notified.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Colin say if you argue about PVP esport hurt game and you should have shame.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3v24hg/the_reduced_visual_noise_changes_have_to_stop_gw2/cxk2o2z

If you don’t like it more power to you, don’t watch, but it’s absolutely helping our marketing folks make Gw2 a bigger game which I’d hope we’re all excited about. If you want to see the game fail I’m not sure what you’re doing here, but rooting against programs like pro league is basically rooting against Gw2 growing. When folks come here and rip on stuff like PvP, you’re basically hurting the games ability to grow – and personally I would say shame on you, if you truly love the game, be constructive and give awesome feedback and suggestions: but don’t knock it just cause it’s not PvE.

So if love GW2 must like PvP esport. If not you want GW2 fail and should have shame for that.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Colin should realize that people playing this game care more about a good gaming experience than the growth of the game. What good is a growing game to us if we don’t enjoy it anymore?

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

They are advertising other parts of their game….. not product adds. The more area’s you play in leads, potentionally, to more gear that you need to buy….. one way or another…
Already incrased the number of my “banks tabs” because of all the stuff that does not stack with HOT…. times that by a million players… you do the maths…

Used to be easy to play this game without spending a real penny….. now… not so much

Where’s the WvW one?
:P

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I Agree, im a casual pve-er myself, with no desire to pvp (and even more totally not interested in the so called e-sports). The pvp messages at the right all the time and the ones on the loading screens ar getting really annoying. Its just like that new Southpark episodes with the Ads who keep getting back till they get to you. The only effect it has on me, is the opposite of getting my interest. It feels like telemarketeers and doorsellers :-)

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Well yeah, advertise all you want, just make us able to mark that screen clutter as read and make it disappear. I don’t even want to imagine how bad it is for people with smaller or 4:3 monitors. Like I don’t glue the adverts I get in the mail around my apartments walls, would be redundant, I’ll read them if I want to and then discard them.

And moreover forcing us to read that thing always when we’re online is not going to make me more interested, rather make me despise the content just because the words are starting to annoy me.

Posted by: Avery.4659

Avery.4659

I thought I paid money to remove the adverts. The people interested in PvP will know this without the spam. The people not-interested only need to read your spam one time. This is BS. Someone write a program to fix their BS please.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

I’m waiting for a cash shop item that removes adds. $1000 gems to remove adds for 6 months! Why else wouldn’t there be a option to hide them yet? Because it is another opportunity to monetize the game.

Sarcasm aside the notifications are very annoying. It can’t be that hard to code and option to hide them, but there are currently so many bugs I doubt Anet will have them all fixed in the next 6 months let alone have time to add simple QoL improvements.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Agreed, my top right is full with spirit vale ads, PvPleague thingy, esport when it’s up. Daily ,personal story. Meta event description, sometime I can’t even see my actual in game event because this waste of space.

I notice the thing now. Why can’t I disable it.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Why can’t I disable it.

Because Colin say esport PvP is what make GW2 for market. See my quote above in thread. Like he say if do not like it to bad and shame for you for not want it. Sad to see leader of GW2 think this way and shame customer that do not agree with esport for future of game.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

That stuff is annoying for it’s money-grubbing philosophy… but it’s also annoying for it’s uselessness. As people have pointed out, those that aren’t interested don’t want it and even those that are interested, don’t need it.

There is extra information I wouldn’t mind seeing on my screen, such as world boss timers – with it being completely optional, of course. Because it needs to be pointed out to anet that features should be optional and not globally enforced).

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

So Anet are now on a mission to fill the top right of my screen with adverts for things they are apparently insisting I read constantly.

Is there any way to get rid of “Forsaken Thicket” this and “pvp leagues” that? Now with extra “ESL blah blah pro league” I really couldn’t give a monkeys about these things

How do I get rid of them and I dunno maybe suppress all future spam that I don’t want up there? Adblock plus plus maybe?

How can I make it go away?

I second this. One of the things about GW2 that bugs me so much is the UI and how strict it is! Coming from GW1, where you were able to move almost (if not everything) on the screen around, resize it, etc etc.

In GW2 you can’t move anything around other than some sizes and its frustrating. Especially when the selected target is on the top of the screen…I try to click something or do an AoE up there…and it just clicks the UI?

PLEASE Anet, action camera was amazing, but let us control the UI the way we used to!

1) Gold adverts at the top of the screen. I am totally OK with this, being oblivious, it is nice to see whats new. HOWEVER, let us hide it after we have seen it once. Just make a check box next to it or put it in the achievements watch-list as an option there. Show it at first, but then let us hide it.

2)Hero Story and Daily achievements. Same mentality. I have 9 characters, not of them have completed their story, and not all of them WILL. Please let me hide it or deactivate my story from the story menu until I wish to continue. Sometimes I don’t want to do dailies either. Let me check those off.

3)Chat, skill bar, selected target, current buffs/conditions, map, story progress. Let me move them around on the screen and re size them separately. Or let me hide certain objects all together.

I really appreciate removing all the clutter skills and cleaning up the particle effect mess this game can be, but honestly one of the biggest offenders is the UI. Please take this request to heart and see if at least one guy can be spared to be working on this. It would be such a life improvement.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I agree, this is becoming excessive as there are at this time three unique advertisements/announcements taking up space on top of whatever else that shows up in that corner of the screen. Its very distracting.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’m fine with them existing….but please let me dismiss them after I’ve read them.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

What I thought too lol…

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

What I thought too lol…

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3v24hg/the_reduced_visual_noise_changes_have_to_stop_gw2/cxk2o2z

If you don’t like it more power to you, don’t watch, but it’s absolutely helping our marketing folks make Gw2 a bigger game which I’d hope we’re all excited about. If you want to see the game fail I’m not sure what you’re doing here, but rooting against programs like pro league is basically rooting against Gw2 growing. When folks come here and rip on stuff like PvP, you’re basically hurting the games ability to grow – and personally I would say shame on you, if you truly love the game, be constructive and give awesome feedback and suggestions: but don’t knock it just cause it’s not PvE.

So if love GW2 must like PvP esport. If not you want GW2 fail and should have shame for that.

SHAME!
/throws rotten tomato
SHAME!
/thows a pointy carrot
SHAME!
/thows a cabbage with a rock hidden in it
SHAME!

Shame on you ANet for spouting cleaning up visual clutter then add in a highly visible icon to players names, shame on your marketing team for placing unremovable announcements to the information area of the UI, stuff I click to close and wish I could remove much like participation medal info because I don’t need useless information staring at me the entire play session. Finally shame on you Colin for ripping on people for ripping on pvp which you think hurts the games growth, when your development teams ignores WvW for years, how’s that for hurting a games growth?

Shame indeed.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Are there any safe third party programs that we can use to get rid of this? I know the rules and the use at your own risk blah, blah… I’m just wanting to enjoy the scenery of the game without the clutter. Even if a simple read it once, click to disable message could be implemented, it would be much appreciated.

A tad hypocritical to clean up in game visuals then add more crap!

Anx

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Agreed, it was a fatuous comment.

People arguing against e-Sports are doing so because it’s clearly a trivial minority (in the great scheme of things) who watch it ands ANY money spent could be better spent on content a significantly larger number of people enjoy: hell, even the raid is likely to be attracting more people that those who enjoy (!) watching other people play a video game.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Are there any safe third party programs that we can use to get rid of this? I know the rules and the use at your own risk blah, blah… I’m just wanting to enjoy the scenery of the game without the clutter. Even if a simple read it once, click to disable message could be implemented, it would be much appreciated.

A tad hypocritical to clean up in game visuals then add more crap!

The worst clutter of all: player overhead names you cannot remove when in group/squad. What an utter joke it is these days for a ‘AAA’ mmo not to have such a basic options.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

These advertisements are a way of reducing the visual clutter because they hide whats behind them on screen.

P.S. just kidding

(edited by Zok.4956)

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

What do you need to buy for PvP?

Players that stay longer online are buying more in the shop and PvP players are longer online than PvE/WvW players. So more PvP players result in more gemstore revenue for A-Net. Thats an important reason behind the PVP marketing campaign.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Yeah with three additional announcements it’s becoming annoying. They really want to drive to play PvP, they try hard :-)

But omg, 4:3 screen. Why the hell do you play on an ancient screen like that…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I was surprised that they could not be dismissed with a click

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

wow that ad doesn’t bother me at all

Why make such a big deal…

I’ve only watched the match yesterday because of it

Posted by: kaptkhaos.8256

kaptkhaos.8256

You can turn off the story notifications in options. It’s on the first page you see. Can’t remember what it is called, but it’s a drop down menu.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

You can turn off the story notifications in options. It’s on the first page you see. Can’t remember what it is called, but it’s a drop down menu.

Doesn’t work for the orange spam.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

In long extended fights with game companies that sold you a game, then changed the game and blamed you for not liking what you didn’t buy… the players always lose. It’s like politics… if you don’t own a Senator, might as well just yell at your TV.

Posted by: Lucifer.7289

Lucifer.7289

It is getting pretty excessive, cluttering sides of the screen. They could at least remove the links from it, it’s very irritating to accidentally click it while doing something important.

Hellion

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

Mark me down as someone that wants them gone as well. I’ll never raid and I have absolutely no desire to watch “pro sports” of any computer game. Constantly getting bombarded with messages about this nonsense is really getting annoying.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I’m not sure when they started using these, but they existed since before LS1. They have always bothered me aswell. It should be possible to hide personal story, event details AND this advertising stuff with a click or checkbox somewhere. If you click on them to hide so you only see the title it still resets the next time you change maps etc. If someone really wanted to do PvP they would check it out if they see it.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I’m glad they moved the loading screen ads out of the image and into the black space – Thank you!
Now if they would only let us dismiss these ads for content that we may or may not be interested in. I would even be favorable to a choice between a “Dismiss Once” option and a “Dismiss forever and ever because I am not interested in this, never will be, and according to Colin I’m a bad person and I’m killing GW2” option.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I always read it that way first. XD
And judging by the names of the teams, that only gets reinforced. -_-#

On topic, yes please. I’d like the option to turn off useless notifications. I’ve no interest in DvD tourneys or “let’s not play the game so we can watch Twitch” streams. I have far too much to do to just watch.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

… PvP players are longer online than PvE/WvW players.

Potentially incorrect assertion, but I’m highly curious about the factual data on this. Factoring out daily AP/chest players and the like, it’d be interesting to see who the bigger market is. By market, I don’t mean play hours, but those who actually buy gems, with money, not gold.

I suspect they could fetch even more cash with “Twitch RP Theater” streams with all the committed players who “play dress up dolly” and also buy a ton of outfits that are “just perfect for this character”.
(That is not a criticism, as I’m an avid roleplayer away from GW2 and, apparently, an outfit whale. >.>)
But, given that, maybe we should have little orange star notices pointing to Black Lion Trading Company vendors, instead. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Do you think they even care about your complaints? As said above – because money.
They are going fast in a direction many players don’t like. Get used to it, it will only get worse.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Maybe one day we’ll get some control over what is shown on the event tracker.
Options in the settings menu with boxes we can tick.
-Show Promotional Events
-Show Seasonal Events
-Show Personal and Living Story
-Show Zone Events
-Show Heart quests
-Show Daily Quests
You get the idea.

Until then,I can only point out the irony that part of the reason we are not allowed to manage our tracker is because it can get pretty crowded with text,only to fill the same tracker with adds because,marketing,I suppose.

About the specific adds.
Raids have been in the game for weeks now.
Lvl 80s in Ascended gear don’t need the add in the tracker to remind them that Raids are active and in the game, and new players have no use for this since this is not content they can play before levelling and gearing up.
Same goes for PvP leagues and live matches.
Advertising these in the site/forums and loading screen would more than suffice.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

True story:

They started putting notifications up there because during LS1 people complained that things were going on in the game that the game didn’t notify them about.

Basically, those notifiers are present because the community complained that they didn’t have them.

Now, we just need a way to dismiss them. right click or something. I dunno.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ