Getting demoralised and losing enjoyment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Warden.8927

Warden.8927

I’m really after a legendary, but my issue is the kitten pre-cursor is so RNG, it’s really really making me lose interest in the whole game, fast.

I came back about two or three months ago, after quitting a month after release due to friends quitting and coming back on my own. Just reading about the amount of time and effort some people have piled money an effort into simple getting just the pre cursor, it’s ridiculous. I can’t see myself putting in the same amount of effort for the chance at it. Don’t get me wrong I’m not lazy, I would do the amount of work multiple times over if I knew that I will certainly get a pre cursor, and not just a chance at it. I mean it’s only one component of the legendary.

If we don’t get pre cursor scavenging/Hunting soon I can see myself getting so disappointed with Arenanet that I simply don’t care about the game and never return, cutting my losses.

P.s I don’t regret the good times I’ve had, I just can’t see myself playing the game for a chance at a precursor that more than likely will never result in a precursor being obtained (and just farming gold and buying it off the tp is boring and not “legendary” in the slightest)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The beauty of buy to play as a model is that you can leave and return whenever you want.

Playing the game to “win” a precursor is going to leave you just as disappointed as if you went to Vegas and expected to leave a millionaire. If you adjust your expectations to be in line with reality, you’ll have a lot more fun.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Focusing exclusively on one aspect may limit you enjoyment even if you do get your precursor.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

“Its like a finger pointing away to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”

Bruce Lee

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Warden.8927

The beauty of buy to play as a model is that you can leave and return whenever you want.

Playing the game to “win” a precursor is going to leave you just as disappointed as if you went to Vegas and expected to leave a millionaire. If you adjust your expectations to be in line with reality, you’ll have a lot more fun.

I get the Vegas thing, but it feels like I’m playing the game and progressing minutely in a million different directions for it all to mean nothing in the end because I have had unfortunate luck and cannot finish it due to missing one component. I’m not playing to win a precursor. I just feel like my progress isn’t going anywhere and the little it does progress it feels so insignificant.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Farming is not RNG. You farm , you earn gold you buy precursor from TP.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

you can make 100g a week by playing 1 hour a day. Fact you can make a legendary in less then a year is still within Anets expectations. So don’t expect massive changes from then to make it easier.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The OP is sort of right though.

If you are a new player or someone who has been taking a break for a fairly long time, you are borked. The economy in GW2 is so inflated that the only way to get along with the prices is to either farm and grind your fingers off, flip the AH or buy gems to buy gold.

Pretty much F2P standard I know, but at one point, GW2 wanted to be different…

mtpelion.4562

I get the Vegas thing, but it feels like I’m playing the game and progressing minutely in a million different directions for it all to mean nothing in the end because I have had unfortunate luck and cannot finish it due to missing one component. I’m not playing to win a precursor. I just feel like my progress isn’t going anywhere and the little it does progress it feels so insignificant.

Hey, I get it, sometimes you feel like you aren’t moving forward. That’s where taking a break comes in handy!

When I get down I play minecraft because progress in that game is measured however I want it to be. Once I feel like I’ve achieved something, I’m ready to dive back into GW2.

It also helps to have a social connection, if you don’t have a guild or friends playing the game it can be a very crowded but lonely place.

Warden.8927

Yes because this feels very legendary doesn’kitten

Warden.8927

you can make 100g a week by playing 1 hour a day. Fact you can make a legendary in less then a year is still within Anets expectations. So don’t expect massive changes from then to make it easier.

Please tell me how you do this because I really struggle, I did earn my
Gold with the fgs train but that’s been ruined. And buying your precursor feels very cheap and not a legendary experience. If you’ve taken a loooong break like me you’re screwed.

Also I’m not looking for something easier. I’m looking for something that is certain. They could make numerous boss fights/ difficult quests that are insanely difficult to solo but perfectly doable if you prepare an practice enough – just an example.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

How does it feel different than spending all the gold on things to throw at the magic forge? One way – Magic Forge spits out a precursor. Other way – TP spits out a precursor.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

mtpelion.4562

If I buy an original Van Gogh does it feel less legendary than if I painstakingly recreated a forgery by hand?

Legendary is a description of the final product, not the process.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Warden: Maybe just a shift in what you perceive is your driving force for playing the game would help?

Premise:

You have been playing for roughly 4 months out of the 20 months the game has been out(quitting 1 month after launch and coming back 3 months ago) and you are considering to quit the game for good if you don’t get a Precursor soon (“simply don’t care about the game and never return, cutting my losses.”).

A comparison for you:

• I have been playing nearly every day of the 20 months since launch
  • I don’t have a Legendary
  • I have never gotten a Pre drop
  • Numerous people who I know with much less play time in than I, HAVE gotten a Pre to drop
  • I continue to play daily with the anticipation of doing so for the foreseeable future

I guess the difference is Legendary Indifference. If a Pre does drop in the near future great, I’ll throw it in the bank and maybe make a legendary at some point BUT if one doesn’t drop… who am I to question the will of the Six Gods. I just don’t allow the whim of chance to decide whether or not I am going to have fun or not.

Hopefully such a consideration grants you comfort.

Warden.8927

If I buy an original Van Gogh does it feel less legendary than if I painstakingly recreated a forgery by hand?

Yes but something that is legendary should have a legendary process before it, you can’t go around saying oh this piece of art is legendary when it’s just been printed onto a sheet of paper, which is exactly what the forge/tp feels like.

Mate it feels the same for you, but for me if I worked for something and worked hard for it I enjoy the end product more and feel a greater sense of accomplishment that if it was simply down to luck

Posted by: PeskyJNixon.8236

PeskyJNixon.8236

I’m really after a legendary, but my issue is the kitten pre-cursor is so RNG, it’s really really making me lose interest in the whole game, fast.

P.s I don’t regret the good times I’ve had, I just can’t see myself playing the game for a chance at a precursor that more than likely will never result in a precursor being obtained (and just farming gold and buying it off the tp is boring and not “legendary” in the slightest)

Legendaries aren’t particularly unique anymore, certainly Twilight and Sunrise are so common I get more questions on my wooden sword than most PUGs with Twilight get.

If your entire enjoyment of this game hinges on getting a legendary AND you need the acquisition of the precursor you desire to be one of random chance I’d say you’re just plain boned.

I really never planned to make a legendary and I BLEW Karma and obsidian shards (spent over 2,000,000 karma on orian boxes… <shakes head> for the first year and change of playing. About two months ago I thought that the Moot really was a very cool looking legendary and I really never see it around so I started working at it and a month and a half later I had it. I bought the pre-cursor, and let me tell you… man did that not cheapen the experience for me: daily runs of AC 1-3, CM 3, TA Nightmare paths, SE 1 & 3, COE 1-3, COF 1-2, HoTW 1, and Arah 1 & 3. I don’t feel cheated at all. I worked like balls for that pre-cursor, if it was lottery ticketed to me for happening to be blessed by the rare good day a genie in a pot was having that my friend would have felt boring.

Warden.8927

Warden: Maybe just a shift in what you perceive is your driving force for playing the game would help?

Premise:

You have been playing for roughly 4 months out of the 20 months the game has been out(quitting 1 month after launch and coming back 3 months ago) and you are considering to quit the game for good if you don’t get a Precursor soon (“simply don’t care about the game and never return, cutting my losses.”).

A comparison for you:

• I have been playing nearly every day of the 20 months since launch
  • I don’t have a Legendary
  • I have never gotten a Pre drop
  • Numerous people who I know with much less play time in than I, HAVE gotten a Pre to drop
  • I continue to play daily with the anticipation of doing so for the foreseeable future

I guess the difference is Legendary Indifference. If a Pre does drop in the near future great, I’ll throw it in the bank and maybe make a legendary at some point BUT if one doesn’t drop… who am I to question the will of the Six Gods. I just don’t allow the whim of chance to decide whether or not I am going to have fun or not.

Hopefully such a consideration grants you comfort.

Maybe I am being overly dramatic, I do enjoy the game and if I quit I know I won’t be able to stay away, it’s just I haaaaaate RNG and for items such as legendaries I think it’s a really bad system, some people will probably think differently though.

You’ve taken only half of my quote, if I get so disappointed to not care anymore it will probably result in me taking a long break. However I do have faith in the devs and that they will eventually release it, and I believe we don’t get posts from the devs not because they don’t want to but rather because they have to have approval from higher ups before they are allowed to post.

Lankybrit.4598

Yes but something that is legendary should have a legendary process before it, you can’t go around saying oh this piece of art is legendary when it’s just been printed onto a sheet of paper, which is exactly what the forge/tp feels like.

Mate it feels the same for you, but for me if I worked for something and worked hard for it I enjoy the end product more and feel a greater sense of accomplishment that if it was simply down to luck

I think that’s something we can agree on. Get rid of the prescursor, and add something else that takes a long time to make. RNG is not legendary.

Updated every Monday

PeskyJNixon.8236

I promise you, you put in the time to buy it, and it will feel kitten legendary.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

RNG is not legendary.

You’re wrong. RNG in this game is legendary for the amount of rage it generates. Just imagine if we could funnel all that rage into something useful. We could probably use it to fuel a whole community of keyboard warriors.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Warden.8927

Legendaries aren’t particularly unique anymore, certainly Twilight and Sunrise are so common I get more questions on my wooden sword than most PUGs with Twilight get.

If your entire enjoyment of this game hinges on getting a legendary AND you need the acquisition of the precursor you desire to be one of random chance I’d say you’re just plain boned.

I really never planned to make a legendary and I BLEW Karma and obsidian shards (spent over 2,000,000 karma on orian boxes… <shakes head> for the first year and change of playing. About two months ago I thought that the Moot really was a very cool looking legendary and I really never see it around so I started working at it and a month and a half later I had it. I bought the pre-cursor, and let me tell you… man did that not cheapen the experience for me: daily runs of AC 1-3, CM 3, TA Nightmare paths, SE 1 & 3, COE 1-3, COF 1-2, HoTW 1, and Arah 1 & 3. I don’t feel cheated at all. I worked like balls for that pre-cursor, if it was lottery ticketed to me for happening to be blessed by the rare good day a genie in a pot was having that my friend would have felt boring.

Fair enough, I mean I don’t had the experience so I can’t say what it would feel like, I guess in your case it didn’t feel like it because you did a tonne of work for the pre as still had a tonne more for the final item. Congratulations though.

Definitely seeing stuff in a better light.

PeskyJNixon.8236

Out of question – everyone saying that RnG isn’t legendary. Have you made a Legendary yet? I have, buying the precursor felt legendary because it took an extreme amount of effort. What you are suggesting instead of buying one is forcing you to do something that requires an extreme amount of effort. That’s already in place. You may RnG luck into it, or you may work your tail off and buy one. Either option is available to you. The Precursor is also a very small part of the entire cost of making a legendary, many components of which you have to gather, do world events, craft, etc. I’m not following where having to buy one component (when in fact you really have to buy many components) is entirely unfair.

Warden.8927

I promise you, you put in the time to buy it, and it will feel kitten legendary.

Well I’m considering actually giving it a go. I don’t like having to do dungeons daily but I preferred the fgs. I don’t know if there is any other ways of making money, apart from daily dungeons, but I’m sure I could find a good team to work trough them with. That’s part of the issue for dungeons.

Warden.8927

Out of question – everyone saying that RnG isn’t legendary. Have you made a Legendary yet? I have, buying the precursor felt legendary because it took an extreme amount of effort. What you are suggesting instead of buying one is forcing you to do something that requires an extreme amount of effort. That’s already in place. You may RnG luck into it, or you may work your tail off and buy one. Either option is available to you. The Precursor is also a very small part of the entire cost of making a legendary, many components of which you have to gather, do world events, craft, etc. I’m not following where having to buy one component (when in fact you really have to buy many components) is entirely unfair.

I don’t see the need to remove the RNG aspect if they added in say an epic quest line for it too. The more options the better.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Warden: Don’t get me wrong. I agree that I don’t feel the process for getting a Legendary is properly implemented as you can see in a post that I made 12 months ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Legendary-vs-LEGENDARY/first#post1953929

You may note (if you can drudge through my never ending rambling attached post) is we see a lot of the same problems in the system.

I guess the point I am trying to instill is, don’t let it bring you down

Warden.8927

Warden: Don’t get me wrong. I agree that I don’t feel the process for getting a Legendary is properly implemented as you can see in a post that I made 12 months ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Legendary-vs-LEGENDARY/first#post1953929

You may note (if you can drudge through my never ending rambling attached post) is we see a lot of the same problems in the system.

I guess the point I am trying to instill is, don’t let it bring you down

I mean it’s only my opinion but I feel as of though Arenanet has wasted a massive opportunity with making the game stand out with a good legendary system. It could have been felt like a legendary journey but they wasted it, or rather they can still fix it.

PeskyJNixon.8236

I mean it’s only my opinion but I feel as of though Arenanet has wasted a massive opportunity with making the game stand out with a good legendary system. It could have been felt like a legendary journey but they wasted it, or rather they can still fix it.

Warden, do me a favor. In three months, when you’ve got your legendary after doing everything necessary to get it come back and lets have a conversation. Trust me, it will feel epic. Trust me you will be really happy. If they turned it into a living story – literally everyone would have it. Yes there might be a nice story element to it – but that already exists with the Pact weapons (the ultimate item for completing the living story). Legendaries are supposed to only be for the people that want to put in an extreme amount of effort into making them. Yes, there are short cuts if the RnG gods are VERY kind to you but in all likelihood you have to put in a lot of work. Legendaries are for the people who want that challenge, if you don’t they simply may not be for you. Finish the story and use the Pact item, they are pretty darn rare as well, just not legendary.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Oh really? Please tell me how. I’m serious, I would love to get that much gold in that amount of time. Share with your ways.

Also I think it would be best if they added some kind of recipe for karma/skillpoints/badges/lodestones that allows you to create precursors in mystic forge. I don’t really think it’s unfair, you still have to work for karma/skillpoints/badges, but you get those from different sources, so it’s not just a mindless gold grind.
For example, dusk:
77x Obsidian Shard
77x Onyx Lodestone
77x Crystal
77x Orichalcum Blade
This is just an example, but why not?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s freaking boring. Killing the same 4 things over and over, doing the same dungeon paths every day. Repetitive. Boring.

I want to have shinnies AND fun, doing the things I enjoy all over the world.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Did you know a precursor box comes with the chinese subscription plan?
Upsetting.

Lankybrit.4598

Upsetting.

And we’re quite sure there’s a pre-cursor in it?

Updated every Monday

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Upsetting.

And we’re quite sure there’s a pre-cursor in it?

Absolutely. Dr Who assured me.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

You can return to any game whenever you want unless it has been shut down. In worst case it just costs a month of sub fee, but often those companies offer you a free month as an incentive for people to come back.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.