Gift of Exploration worthless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

Ok, this was on my mind for a while and I wanted to share my opinion to see if there’s anyone else who feels the same way that I do.

I’ve played this game since launch, and of course, playing just one class over and over can be boring, so I leveled up at least 1 character of each profession. After I did that, I wanted map completion for all my characters since I like having everything explored, for convenience and OCD purposes.
I don’t mind completing the map, personally I find it fun to re-explore all the areas and take my time to visit all the beautiful places that this game has, but after I finished completing it, I felt a little underwhelmed with the reward.
I will probably never make a legendary, there are just too many beautiful weapons in game and I don’t want to settle for just one skin, if I want better stats I’ll just make ascended, so right now all these Gifts of Exploration are useless to me.

Currently, 2 Gifts of Exploration have 12.80s vendor price, which is honestly like a slap in the face, considering how much time and effort goes into even getting the Gift, and the only other thing that I can use it for is for Gift of Mastery, which I did make, only to give up on the legendary hunt in the next 4 days because I found a skin that I like more. Reward for completing the map the first time is pretty good IMO, you get a title, achievement, the star next to your name is new and shiny, but it doesn’t give players much initiative to complete it the 2nd time.

So, my question is: Can we please get a vendor that will let us exchange those gifts for something else, let’s say a unique piece of armor, outfit, weapon, item (a toy or a unique mini), similar to how WvW tournament tickets work?

I know that map completion is optional, and no one is forced to do it, but for us people who do it a lot (for whatever reason), I feel like we get no reward for it whatsoever, at least for completing it the 2nd time or more. Right now, I have all those Gifts sitting in my bank, worthless, taking up space, and I would like to put them to good use and finally feel like all my map completions were worth something.

TL;DR : Give us something in exchange for Gifts of Exploration other than Gift of Mastery and miserable 12.80s.

Attachments:

You’re not a real dragon. You just look like one around the eyes.
#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Offer others to build legendaries for them. You can charge 400-500g each.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You got rewards for each map you completed, did you not?

You got rewards for each map you completed, did you not?

Yes, for each map individually, those are pretty good the way they are, I’m talking about the Gift itself, atm it’s completely useless unless you want to make a legendary and I wish to use them on something else other than just looking at them collect dust in my bank :/

#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

Couldn’t you just think of the gifts as an extra reward (extra 12 silver is still extra 12 silver) on top of finishing your last map on that particular character? Instead of asking them to give it more utility.

The way I see it, that’s a bonus. So saying that you want more from a bonus is kinda… :|

It’s not a bonus, it’s more like an insult to injury. Let’s say each map takes about 2.30 hours to complete (some are larger and take more than 3 hours) and there are 25 maps (not including WvW maps and cities), thats around 57 hours to complete all those maps, more than 2 full days!
Maybe 12.80s for 57 hours of map completing is rewarding for you, but I did map completion 11 times, and I am personally less than satisfied with that.

#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

the enjoyment of doing the content is meant to be its own reward, if you did all that 11 times just to get an extra reward.. you’ll never be satisfied with this game.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Elsdragon.5109

You just said that each map completion reward is pretty good. If they gave you (specifically, or anyone else who has no ambitions to craft their legendaries) a bonus of 12 silver for all that work, why would you find that insulting? Would you rather they make getting the gift optional, or not at all?

Edit: It’s like going frequently to a store and buying a lot of stuff from there, and one day be given a small reward for being a “loyal customer” and being angry that the reward wasn’t enough to satisfy you.

(edited by Elsdragon.5109)

Elsdragon.5109

the enjoyment of doing the content is meant to be its own reward, if you did all that 11 times just to get an extra reward.. you’ll never be satisfied with this game.

The strange thing is that he mentioned in his OP that he doesn’t mind doing map completion and even found it fun.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

While it’s true you get bonuses for each map, the final 100% is also an accomplishment and it would be nice for there to be something besides a token that only has value for people working on a legendary. Malediktus is correct that it’s possible to get 400-600g for the gift to those who want a legend and don’t want to do maps, but that brings its own set of headaches.

I’m not sure what a “fair” reward would be, though. Maybe reduced WP costs and a special tonic?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Elsdragon.5109

Well, to your point, Illconceived, one could also view it as a requirement to craft legendaries. And that if you’re not after that, then you getting the gifts would be just a consequence of doing map completion. In any case, I fail to see any need to be dissatisfied or worse, insulted, by getting it.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

How do you actually build legendary for other people? because i have 4 of those and I wanna get in contact with anyone that wants to buy 1~2 of mine

Tour

I understand where you’re coming from, I’m just saying that I wish we had more options to choose what to do with the Gift, instead of just vendoring it or using it for a legendary. Maybe it could be tradeable for geodes, or as a component for certain weapon crafting. Or if you could exchange it for a title ( I know you get Been There, Done That), but maybe it could be something that people would recognize, Professional Explorer for example (similar to how you get a title if you made the same legendary weapon twice). I’m not saying that all those Gifts should all of a sudden be very expensive and make me filthy rich, but just having a little more options to do something with it would be nice for us altoholics and map completionists.

#SkrittBackpacks

How do you actually build legendary for other people? because i have 4 of those and I’m willing to help others craft legendary for 400~500 golds

The only way you could do that is to make the whole legendary for someone, since all those Gifts are account bound and there’s no way you can trade them, and all the legendary components are account bound until you finish the legendary (except the precursor of course)

#SkrittBackpacks

Elsdragon.5109

I get that as well, but what I’m saying is that although it would be nice, it’s far from a pressing issue; and certainly not something to be disappointed about. I don’t see Anet adding any more uses to the gift (I could be horribly wrong, but…) since like I said, it’s more of a bonus for those who get it but don’t want Legendaries or a requirement for those who want to craft their Legendaries. It’s not an integral part of the game; map completion rewards are the ones you get for each individual map.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

How do you actually build legendary for other people? because i have 4 of those and I’m willing to help others craft legendary for 400~500 golds

The only way you could do that is to make the whole legendary for someone, since all those Gifts are account bound and there’s no way you can trade them, and all the legendary components are account bound until you finish the legendary (except the precursor of course)

Yeah I meant I was looking to sell one or two gifts of exploration. Sorry for the confusion

Tour

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

They should be required to craft precurors when we have that option… if we ever get that option…

Elsdragon.5109

Sadly as Lucia has said, most immediate materials for a Legendary are account-bound (with the sole exception of the precursor).

Not too clear on how to “sell” the gift of exploration either, but I imagine it’d require a great deal of trust between the two parties since it’d prolly involve player to player trading (which is not supported by the game for the very reason that it is easy to scam or dupe people).

Yeah I meant I was looking to sell one or two gifts of exploration. Sorry for the confusion

We can keep hoping that they will make it account bound on use, but that will probably never happen lol

#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Just put it in your bank so in the event that your “probably will never make” becomes “I think I’d like to make” due to the release of new legendaries you actually -do- like, you wont have to do the whole thing again.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

<snip> Or if you could exchange it for a title ( I know you get Been There, Done That), but maybe it could be something that people would recognize, Professional Explorer for example (similar to how you get a title if you made the same legendary weapon twice). <snip>

Beyond the title….you get a star next to your name! That’s the virtual gold star, well done, good job for you!

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

<snip> Or if you could exchange it for a title ( I know you get Been There, Done That), but maybe it could be something that people would recognize, Professional Explorer for example (similar to how you get a title if you made the same legendary weapon twice). <snip>

Beyond the title….you get a star next to your name! That’s the virtual gold star, well done, good job for you!

Which you can’t even see yourself

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

I’m not sure Gift of Exploration would be worth much more than those 12.80 if it was tradeable. There are a lot more Gifts around than precursors.

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

If the content is fun and engaging, of course.

But just take a look at the Trait System Changes made in April and see how that “enhanced” the enjoyment factor for players. It certainly didn’t do any wonders for my leveling of new characters.

“Mandatory fun” is rarely all that fun; mediocre rewards are par for the course when such things are on the menu.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

A legendary weapon is more than just a skin. Why not create a legendary and then transmute the skin you actually want on to it. You’ll then have the skin you want on a weapon that will always remain BIS and can change stats on the fly.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Which you can’t even see yourself

Yes that does make me sad. I would love to see what title I’m sporting too. :/

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

If the content is fun and engaging, of course.

If the content isn’t fun and engaging for someone, why spend any time playing it?

will a “better” reward retroactively make all that game time more enjoyable?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

So, my question is: Can we please get a vendor that will let us exchange those gifts for something else, let’s say a unique piece of armor, outfit, weapon, item (a toy or a unique mini), similar to how WvW tournament tickets work?

I have the same problem of similar quantity and I would really welcome a shop like that.
That would make people like me who like exploring something to do.
Maybe offer for it black lion skins?
That would work and many people would start maping again so more people would go to the maps.

I have the same problem of similar quantity and I would really welcome a shop like that.
That would make people like me who like exploring something to do.
Maybe offer for it black lion skins?
That would work and many people would start maping again so more people would go to the maps.

I couldn’t agree more

#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I only have a problem with the sheer anticlimax of getting those gifts of exploration. When I did my first completion, I was stoked to see another wobbly chest pop up in the bottom right. That didn’t last long. I’d have felt better if I hadn’t got anything at all because I wouldn’t have felt the built-up expectation before clicking that chest.

Yeah, I wish it felt more like “Yay, another gift, now I can trade it for <item>” rather than "Yay, I just spent all that time in WvW trying to get that one vista that I’ve been missing for 2 weeks for another 12 silver. "

#SkrittBackpacks