Give us a prestigeous PVE armor too

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Carbonize.1530

Carbonize.1530

I’m happy that pvp got something exclusive, I also wish they had more of this in the game. There is a lot of “participate and receive rewards” content out there and though there should be some of that, it seems most rewards fall into that category (Or RNG).

I do think with some of the problems that plague pvp such as 4v5s and AFKs there should be something more like “season” rewards that would include armor sets for winning X amount of games that season. It would require you to not just afk and actually play to get that reward. The good players would obviously be able to get this done in less games played but it encourages the game-play most players desire.

Regarding PvE and exclusive skins; I believe it would be great to find a way to get this done as well. Although I know they get their money from GEM purchases, there needs to be rewards that are targeted at certain types of game-play. Fractals would be my best guess but it would seem this would have to be kept to small group PvE, if we’re talking about prestige. When groups get too big it’s more about your ability to herd cats than accomplish something that requires individual skill. In large groups people get carried.

The problem with PvE is that it seems to be an accomplishment for the first few groups to accomplish, then a guide is posted on dulfy etc… and once the gimmick is exposed it tends to lose merit as an accomplishment. Where as in pvp it is and always is based on your teams overall skill in that game mode.

Even an armor for a JP meta achievement would be nice, maybe something Kid Icarus themed.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Most ppl agree that the ascended armor skins are not exactly top tier :-)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

In my opinion, i respect you OP, but…. prestigeus PVE armor? I tought ascended armor was prestigeus PVE armor. And i think PVP deserves armor on their own, there is plenty PVE armors in game. How come nobody rants about that weapons wvw players got for playing wvw?

Ascended armour is not PvE armour. It’s crafted so anyone can make it, crafters come from all areas of the game.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Prestige in a videogame... LMFAO

I suggest a set that requires 100 Tequatl AND Wurm kills to craft ( ?° ?? ?°)

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

Posted by: Carbonize.1530

Carbonize.1530

Prestige in a videogame… LMFAO

I don’t agree that repeating a scripted fight that isn’t hard would be something people would aspire to do for an armor set. I think it would have to be hard for the individual, not just splitting up large groups into monkey like tasks. I get the teamwork aspect, but manning turrets, or tentacle duty etc.. doesn’t come close to qualifying. Some of the SAB challenges are ten times harder for an individual player than these large encounters where people are compartmentalized into separate boring tasks.

Implementing doing the same unchanging event X amount of times would just be lazy.

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Ascended

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Psychology 101;

Games have things like rare drop, special bosses/unlockables and the like because when people get them, they feel better about themselves and feel more energized to engage in that activity. This aspect of the mind is a need called self-Actualization.

It’s not about how you feel about my super shiny. It’s about how I feel about my super shiny that no one else has. Basic, basic gaming design dispels your statement, sorry. And believe it or not, designing a game requires much more psychology than coding and computer knowledge.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Anyone can join WvW from level one. Anyone can join PVP from rank one after their first character on their first level….

…but to say PVE is truly not prestigious solely because it’s PVE is incredibly incorrect.

Anyone can join Taekwondo as a white belt, but if that white belt beats a 6th dan black belt (however ridiculously unlikely that is) it would be prestigious as all get out. What rank or level a person begins a competition with has no bearing on whether they can achieve prestige or not. Now if your argument is that no video game achievements are prestigious by nature of being video games, I’d be more willing to agree.

And to the second point, I’m sorry but it’s true. The AI in PvE is programmed with the intent of being beaten. When someone beats it, they are simply performing at the baseline expectation. There is no prestige associated with a middle-of-the-road performance.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

What’s not to get?

Sure I understand that the Glorious Hero armours is for Tournament reward players only and the Glourious Hero is rewarded at the end of a new reward track in SPVP which anyone can entered SPVP.

If you really want it, then you going have to work for it and not expect a hand out this time round!

Yes it is going to takes weeks to get it but you will get it eventually! I mean the reward cap is two full bars in the reward progress and the progress will vary depending on your win/ lose rewards (win is 500 glory and lost is 200 glory). Yes the fight won’t be easy and you may get a name called or two so just suck it up!

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Psychology 101;

Games have things like rare drop, special bosses/unlockables and the like because when people get them, they feel better about themselves and feel more energized to engage in that activity. This aspect of the mind is a need called self-Actualization.

It’s not about how you feel about my super shiny. It’s about how I feel about my super shiny that no one else has. Basic, basic gaming design dispels your statement, sorry. And believe it or not, designing a game requires much more psychology than coding and computer knowledge.

But there is a super shiny that very few have. You just refuse to meet the requirements.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I think a fractal armor set (maybe having similar looks as its weapons) would be a good idea.

I also agree that wvw needs a couple more ‘exclusive’ sets as well. Something to work towards, to make badges worthwhile, etc.

I don’t disagree with the OP though, pve would need its own ‘exclusive’ set as well. That could come in the form of legendary armor, the return of FoW armor, harder world bosses getting a full set of droppable armor (like wurm slayer, but being a complete set, which anet could still do), etc.

Then each mode, or major game play component, would offer something “worth chasing.” (Theoretically) Just as we once desired to chase FoW armor, or Vabbian armor, etc.

This is a very reasonable position for this forum.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to turn this into another “us vs them” war, I play all modes (badly) and I don’t begrudge sPVP getting an exclusive set of armour but the “exclusive” PVE armour sets were the dungeon sets which were always accessible through sPVP. So them adding sPVP armour is a good first step but I think they really should add additional “prestige” sets for WvW, PVE and fractals. Which they may be planning on doing in the next few feature packs. (I’m still kinda hoping we’ll see a WvW exclusive set this feature pack though).

The difference is that the so-called exclusive dungeon skins were within anyone’s reach. Especially in the early days of the game, you could get a full dungeon set in a couple of days. Now, you need a week to do so.

The new exclusive pvp armor is accessible only to a handfull of players that get invited to a special tournament. And nobody is denying them their special reward. We are asking for something special for the people that play PVE.

You don’t get it do you…everything for the past couple years have been basically PvE exclusive….. You don’t NEED anymore special things, you just WANT them… PvP NEEDED this because anet is trying to inject some life into a somewhat dying community..This was logical decision by anet to add some new rewards to PvP..hopefully get some PvErs to give PvP a shot because there are rewards in PvP that MIGHT be worth working for…

You can’t say this about PvE… there’s plenty of rewards for being a PvEr… fractal skins, legendary, ascended, world boss skins, mini pets, much easier access to getting gemstore skins
Also, there is nothing prestigious in PvE…all the content is easy lol

dude
you said the counterargument to your own statement in the end….

pve has soo much but yet NO SINGLE ARMOR with prestige
pvp has something worth muuuuch more than pve concerning this aspect … something with prestige

so like you said by yourself pvp has the one thing that pve has always been missing
basically the thing that every progamer/longtimer player wants to have in a game

all the gemshop armor and the dungeonskins are in no way pve exclusive and especially not even close to prestige….

and me personally would be happy too if anet gave pvpers more exclusive rewards

but just give pve some exclusive prestige reward too because atm they have none…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Yeah, I can already see it. Dry Top Hero Armour. Super rare chance of the armour to drop in the chests only if you reached T8. Let the games begin, 2000 keys won’t even scratch the surface!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

but just give pve some exclusive prestige reward too because atm they have none…

You cannot give prestige, it has to be earned. Currently there is not much, if anything, achievable in the PvE aspect of GW2 with prestige attached. Without something to do which merits prestige there is no possibility of a reward to show that you have done something worthy of prestige.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I think a fractal armor set (maybe having similar looks as its weapons) would be a good idea.

I also agree that wvw needs a couple more ‘exclusive’ sets as well. Something to work towards, to make badges worthwhile, etc.

I don’t disagree with the OP though, pve would need its own ‘exclusive’ set as well. That could come in the form of legendary armor, the return of FoW armor, harder world bosses getting a full set of droppable armor (like wurm slayer, but being a complete set, which anet could still do), etc.

Then each mode, or major game play component, would offer something “worth chasing.” (Theoretically) Just as we once desired to chase FoW armor, or Vabbian armor, etc.

This is a very reasonable position for this forum.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to turn this into another “us vs them” war, I play all modes (badly) and I don’t begrudge sPVP getting an exclusive set of armour but the “exclusive” PVE armour sets were the dungeon sets which were always accessible through sPVP. So them adding sPVP armour is a good first step but I think they really should add additional “prestige” sets for WvW, PVE and fractals. Which they may be planning on doing in the next few feature packs. (I’m still kinda hoping we’ll see a WvW exclusive set this feature pack though).

The difference is that the so-called exclusive dungeon skins were within anyone’s reach. Especially in the early days of the game, you could get a full dungeon set in a couple of days. Now, you need a week to do so.

The new exclusive pvp armor is accessible only to a handfull of players that get invited to a special tournament. And nobody is denying them their special reward. We are asking for something special for the people that play PVE.

You don’t get it do you…everything for the past couple years have been basically PvE exclusive….. You don’t NEED anymore special things, you just WANT them… PvP NEEDED this because anet is trying to inject some life into a somewhat dying community..This was logical decision by anet to add some new rewards to PvP..hopefully get some PvErs to give PvP a shot because there are rewards in PvP that MIGHT be worth working for…

You can’t say this about PvE… there’s plenty of rewards for being a PvEr… fractal skins, legendary, ascended, world boss skins, mini pets, much easier access to getting gemstore skins
Also, there is nothing prestigious in PvE…all the content is easy lol

dude
you said the counterargument to your own statement in the end….

pve has soo much but yet NO SINGLE ARMOR with prestige
pvp has something worth muuuuch more than pve concerning this aspect … something with prestige

so like you said by yourself pvp has the one thing that pve has always been missing
basically the thing that every progamer/longtimer player wants to have in a game

all the gemshop armor and the dungeonskins are in no way pve exclusive and especially not even close to prestige….

and me personally would be happy too if anet gave pvpers more exclusive rewards

but just give pve some exclusive prestige reward too because atm they have none

I got absolutely nothing against anet adding prestigious rewards to PvE… but that’s the thing.. what exactly is prestigious in PvE right now??

They need to add actual content that requires at least some sort of skill… currently there is nothing in open world PvE in this game that is prestigious. Sure teq/wurm but they have their unique rewards same with fracs, along with legendary/ascended grind.. in anet’s eyes, that is enough. Obviously from some players point of view, it may not be enough.

I’ll happily accept high quality rewards on the PvE side, but anet needs to add high quality content first…

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Aside from fractal weapons there is nothing that even comes close to “prestige items” in GW2.

Every rare skin – including legendary weapons mean absolutely nothing since you can pay for them 100% of the way.

We need that to change – for both weapons and armor.

We need to have items in this game that make people go : “wow that guy has x armor – he’s really good” or " wow that guy has x weapon – he must have put a lot of time and effort into the game".

Right now we have " wow a legendary – might have worked for it or just played the TP or even bought it outright".

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i see your point Ashen.2907 + SkiTz.4590 + Harper.4173

anet would have to make the armor be craftable with things that can only be aquired by doing many many hard tasks (at least the hardest ones that pve has^^) like:
- do fractals lvl 50 often enough to get new crafting material there
- beat certain champs solo —> for example some new instance where they put in lupi and other bosses with better mechanics than just the big dmg big healthpool champs… enemies like liadri too --> and you have to beat those champs solo in there
- have dungeon master title too
- in general more solo content that cant be done with the help of others!

and probably many more things and all of those things combined … almost like the journey of collecting all the materials for a legendary … but just so that everything possible is accountbound/solocontent and it cant be sold on the tp… otherwise it has ZERO prestige again…

but yes you are right.. a new elite area like content would probably be necessary for new hard tasks

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t understand why people feel the need to turn this into another “us vs them” war

Because that’s what exclusivity is all about. It exists to divide community into haves and have-nots. It doesn’t matter what kind of exclusivity it is. That is why it is so important that everything should have alternate acquisition methods.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I agree, but make it really prestigious. None of this “repeat easy-to-average content 1000 times”. An item obtained that way holds no prestige to me.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

There is nothing challenging about PvEsports! That’s why there won’t be thuper amaze PvE armor! Anyone can do it! Vee Wee does fractals 50 on a regular basis! That’s supposed to be the hardest PvE content! Vee Wee pugs that stuff! If PvE people want exclusive PvE thangs, then Arenanet should release PvE content that’s actually hard! Maybe so hard that it will require 10 people! Maybe it will require supporty builds like CC or condi clear! Maybe it will even require a condition class! Bam!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

i see your point Ashen.2907 + SkiTz.4590 + Harper.4173

anet would have to make the armor be craftable with things that can only be aquired by doing many many hard tasks (at least the hardest ones that pve has^^) like:
- do fractals lvl 50 often enough to get new crafting material there
- beat certain champs solo —> for example some new instance where they put in lupi and other bosses with better mechanics than just the big dmg big healthpool champs… enemies like liadri too --> and you have to beat those champs solo in there
- have dungeon master title too
- in general more solo content that cant be done with the help of others!

and probably many more things and all of those things combined … almost like the journey of collecting all the materials for a legendary … but just so that everything possible is accountbound/solocontent and it cant be sold on the tp… otherwise it has ZERO prestige again…

but yes you are right.. a new elite area like content would probably be necessary for new hard tasks

We even have a unique crafting material related to FOTM – Mists Essence.
Too bad we just have a rune and sigil to craft with it.

I could see some FOTM armor craftable with it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

For those saying that PvE has gotten all the attention so far, I offer in rebuttal:

EVERY SINGLE BALANCE PATCH SINCE RELEASE.

All of them, without fail, were to cater to the capture the node crowd, with zero consideration for the impact up on PvE. The current state of class balance is a direct result of taking nothing except for PvP into consideration.

Every skin except for the triple wurm set is available through PvP rewards. The only thing that requires a dedicated PvPer to set foot into PvE for are the legendaries – and that cuts both ways. (You cannot get a legendary through pure PvE either.)

I wouldn’t argue that it’s long past time for a few new maps, or different game modes (what ever happened to the GW1 PvP designers?), but it’s completely off base to claim that PvP gets no attention.

With that said, I don’t envy the PvP crowd their unique armours – I just abhor the dishonesty of claiming that PvP gets “nothing” when they are the sole focus of the important game changes.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

just throwing it out there, ascended armor.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t understand why this keeps being thrown out here. You get ascended armor boxes as random rewards from pvp. And you can gather the materials to craft it in pvp as well. Or wvw. It is an armor set available in all game modes.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

A Massive Headache.1879

I don’t understand why this keeps being thrown out here. You get ascended armor boxes as random rewards from pvp. And you can gather the materials to craft it in pvp as well. Or wvw. It is an armor set available in all game modes.

yeah, you know the rarity of those armor boxes from spvp? and from a box comes only one piece so, yeah, point is still valid. pve has more than enough features to it, pvp needs a ton of attention and the unique armor is a decent start.

Lilith Ajit.6173

yeah, you know the rarity of those armor boxes from spvp? and from a box comes only one piece so, yeah, point is still valid. pve has more than enough features to it, pvp needs a ton of attention and the unique armor is a decent start.

I don’t think anyone is begrudging pvp having a unique only to them armor, but there is literally no good reason for pve and wvw not to have this same thing. Whether it’s rare or not, it’s still available. The pvp armor is only pvp (rightly so!) But there really ought to be an analog in wvw and pve. This should NOT be a pvp vs pve conversation. It should be a “let’s give everyone a little something to work on.” Conversation. A fractal (or some other high level pve content which Illudes me) armor set and a wvw armor set (I don’t wvw so I do not know what content is considered high skill or time consuming) would be a great solution. I don’t understand why this has turned into such a toxic conversation.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

2 years of pure pve development it was fine for pvers , 1 update for pvp . Whining,rolling on the floor with tears in eyes it is just pathetic . YES you wont be able to obtain every armor for just standing on world boss spaming 111111 it is so sad . Anet pls give pvpers options to show off :unique armor,visible ranks outside pvp(www).

tbh tho the pvpers qq just as hard when they dont get there one patch.
just sayin

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I don’t think anyone is begrudging pvp having a unique only to them armor, but there is literally no good reason for pve and wvw not to have this same thing. Whether it’s rare or not, it’s still available. The pvp armor is only pvp (rightly so!) But there really ought to be an analog in wvw and pve. This should NOT be a pvp vs pve conversation. It should be a “let’s give everyone a little something to work on.” Conversation. A fractal (or some other high level pve content which Illudes me) armor set and a wvw armor set (I don’t wvw so I do not know what content is considered high skill or time consuming) would be a great solution. I don’t understand why this has turned into such a toxic conversation.

The reason is simple…PvP in gw2 is on life support, which is why anet is giving out a cash prize tourney and new shinies.. its easily the least popular mmode in this game (WvW, PvE being the others)… PvP NEEDS this kind of new rewards… PvE doesn’t… it has enough already, and 100% guaranteed they will continue to get more rewards down the road

Also, as many have stated, there is no prestigious content in PvE…It takes more skill to PvP and go against players that actual think compared to a group of brain dead zombies in PvE….You need prestigious content before you can give such prestigious rewards… which I think everyone would love to see in PvE

Lilith Ajit.6173

The reason is simple…PvP in gw2 is on life support, which is why anet is giving out a cash prize tourney and new shinies.. its easily the least popular mmode in this game (WvW, PvE being the others)… PvP NEEDS this kind of new rewards… PvE doesn’t… it has enough already, and 100% guaranteed they will continue to get more rewards down the road

Also, as many have stated, there is no prestigious content in PvE…It takes more skill to PvP and go against players that actual think compared to a group of brain dead zombies in PvE….You need prestigious content before you can give such prestigious rewards… which I think everyone would love to see in PvE

Hey okay, next time you’re on and I am too, let’s do some level 50 fractals No skill and all.

[ARES]

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

After reading the news about the new exclusive PVP armors, I cannot stop myself from wishing for a similar PVE counterpart. As it is now, the only prestige armor set in game, will be available for the 10-20 people that happen to win elite tournaments….

While I agree that top PVP players should get a special reward for their effords, I strongly believe that there should be a correspondant set for the people that prefer PVE.

I wish Anet would introduce an equally prestegius armor set, that could be craftable through PVE rewards and activities. I wouldn’t even mind paying 100 pristine relics per piece.

Before people start complaining that everything in PVE is easy so nothing will ever be prestigious: we have been lacking any kind of hard to obtain armor set, so now is the time to give us one of those. I am sure plenty of people will enjoy working towards one of those.

I’m wondering why did you get so many thumbs up on this forums… I have a feeling that people that agree with you doesn’t know what exactly your suggestion means. I feel this way because people here don’t agree with suggestions about adding extremely difficult content that only a handful of people can do. And basically this is what you want…

PS. Nice job with tricking all those people…

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Hey okay, next time you’re on and I am too, let’s do some level 50 fractals No skill and all.

Knowledge and skill are different things. A pvper isn’t likely to consider the knowledge of how to clear fractals 50 as something worth learning.

Skill is something that allows one to succeed when the correct method of success is unclear, or there is no correct method, something that can only occur in pvp.

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

Ascended dungeon armor that can be created by combining the original dungeon armor piece with something fractal and stuff that adds special effects to the armor. That wouldn’t be that hard to create because it would be simular to the capacitor and would add a number of “new” PvE exclusive sets. It would also add another way aquiring ascended armor without involving crafting.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I know early on, I would have loved to see a full exclusive set (just like dungeon token rewards) dedicated to participation in world events like Jormag/Balth.

I also believe we should have 3-4 more full sets (same like the dungeon token rewards) as straight up karma rewards. I feel like DEs were meant to be the meat of the game, I don’t understand why they only have one high end armor skin tied to their reward currency.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

The game could always use more rewards, but tbh if we are going to strive for more equality between spvp>pve>wvw rewards I’d start off with the rl cash rewards that spvp only gets. Idk how that would work outside of dungeons though.

Imagine a 50k dungeon tourny!!!!!!!

Serenity now~Insanity later

A Massive Headache.1879

yeah, let’s all roll swamp, stack on the bit of land in water or just kill bloomhunger easily, molten stacking stacking, cliffside hope you have an ele for tom and reflects, blizzard good luck staying awake, ascalon stacking. dredge, stacking, hammer stacking know to dodge when the archmage has the protection icon buff and quit ranging him for a few, grawl stacking half boss don’t stand still and have reflects. most groups run with a guardian anyways. fractals sure are hard, yup, a real challenge alright.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Guess I’ll see you there then. Because I honestly do not believe you considering you think eles make Cliffside easy. Lol. So funneh.

You’re the type of person who thinks they know everything because they ran a few level 10 fractals for their rings and then never entered again. You’re not fooling anyone.

His assumptions are right. PvE centers around knowledge, PvP around reaction. This would not be a problem if there would be enough PvE content or if bosses would be less lethal but more randomized.

But let’s list: What should the challenge look like?

1) It should be a solo instance, so you can’t be carried through or buy the reward.
It could be also a group instance with different tasks that have to be executed simulatneously.
2) It should be randomized, so it does not only require knowledge but also improvisation and reaction.
3) The fights should be fast-paced and movement based so certain skills lose effectiveness
4) The difficulty should be hard enough, so fullzerker is not a thing.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

A Massive Headache.1879

I’ll say this again, there is nothing challenging in pve, at all. The gauntlet was nice, but there were complaints about that, which is kind of goes against wanting prestigious pve armor. As it stands, I’d say the only prestigious item in the game for pve, is the fractal tonic.
and to the people who say oh ascended armor is crafted, not pve exclusive anyone can do it, you know what, the hero armor is simple pvp, anyone can do it

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

There are plenty of PvE exclusive armor skins, it’s just that people don’t bother to go looking for them.

Except those exclusive pieces of armor don’t have any hard content attached to them. The closest we have is Arah, which can be soloed.

I’m sorry, but PvP can have their new exclusive skins. I’m glad they have them, and I’ll congratulate anybody who puts the work into getting them.

No one is asking PvP exclusive armor be removed, we’re just asking if we can get some hard-to-acquire. skill-based armor too.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Arah is the nearest thing to that level of dungeon (which is being generous since FoW and the Underworld were substantially harder).

Eh…what timespan are we talking about here? Back when Ursanway and SFway were going strong having 500+ ectos was within reach of anyone who actively played the game. Getting Obsidian armor wasn’t that difficult, and UW nor FoW were difficult – just time consuming.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Arah is the nearest thing to that level of dungeon (which is being generous since FoW and the Underworld were substantially harder).

Eh…what timespan are we talking about here? Back when Ursanway and SFway were going strong having 500+ ectos was within reach of anyone who actively played the game. Getting Obsidian armor wasn’t that difficult, and UW nor FoW were difficult – just time consuming.

UW and FoW were difficult. But they were really unforgiving. One fail and that’s it you have to start over.
Which means that it takes a long while to get trained.

Unlike in GW2 where every fail is simply a WP away to start over.

Ashen.2907

Yeah, like much “difficult” MMO content UW/FoW were difficult at one point. Years later it was more a matter of, “hey, I want a new set of elite armor, guess I will go solo UW for half an hour.”

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not to mention that by that point, Obsidian armor was so commonplace that it was hardly a prestigious armor set anymore.

My advice? Forget about prestige. Get armor because YOU like the look of it. Don’t get armor just because it’s expensive, and especially don’t get armor hoping that other players will be impressed by it. Trust me, 99% of players don’t give a skritt what you’re wearing; they’re all too busy hoping others will be impressed by what THEY’RE wearing.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

After reading the news about the new exclusive PVP armors, I cannot stop myself from wishing for a similar PVE counterpart. As it is now, the only prestige armor set in game, will be available for the 10-20 people that happen to win elite tournaments….

While I agree that top PVP players should get a special reward for their effords, I strongly believe that there should be a correspondant set for the people that prefer PVE.

I wish Anet would introduce an equally prestegius armor set, that could be craftable through PVE rewards and activities. I wouldn’t even mind paying 100 pristine relics per piece.

Before people start complaining that everything in PVE is easy so nothing will ever be prestigious: we have been lacking any kind of hard to obtain armor set, so now is the time to give us one of those. I am sure plenty of people will enjoy working towards one of those.

Here is one for you… EVERY SINGLE BACKPIECE… Ascended included. No ascended or exotic backpiece is available from WvW. Why should I be required to PvE to get a backpiece for my character.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I’ll say this again, there is nothing challenging in pve, at all. The gauntlet was nice, but there were complaints about that, which is kind of goes against wanting prestigious pve armor. As it stands, I’d say the only prestigious item in the game for pve, is the fractal tonic.
and to the people who say oh ascended armor is crafted, not pve exclusive anyone can do it, you know what, the hero armor is simple pvp, anyone can do it

Nothing? Really?

Solo Shaman and Ettin with melee weapons and without dodges on uncategorized fractal scale 50. Then we can talk.

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

Here is one for you… EVERY SINGLE BACKPIECE… Ascended included. No ascended or exotic backpiece is available from WvW. Why should I be required to PvE to get a backpiece for my character.

PvE’ers need to farm gold and/or mats for those back pieces, just like you? Or is WvW suddenly unable to use the TP?

If you call anything that’s available on the TP ‘exclusive’, then I think you don’t really understand what ‘exclusive’ means.

(edited by Rangersix.1754)

Ashen.2907

Nothing? Really?

Solo Shaman and Ettin with melee weapons and without dodges on uncategorized fractal scale 50. Then we can talk.

I think that when people say that there is nothing challenging, they mean within the context of how content is intended to be played. Even Queensdale would likely be a challenge if the player’s monitor is turned off or if the player restricts himself to pressing keys with his nose.

Wethospu.6437

You can enter fractals alone and nothing forces you to use your dodge. Sounds like an intended way to play this game.

What you probably meant that it doesn’t give any reward which ironically is the very point of this topic.

Ashen.2907

You can enter fractals alone and nothing forces you to use your dodge. Sounds like an intended way to play this game.

What you probably meant that it doesn’t give any reward which ironically is the very point of this topic.

The game is designed with dodge as an intended aspect of gameplay. It is integral to the combat design. You can of course choose to forgo its use in high end content but at that point you are not playing the game according to its design intent.

You may be able to enter fractals solo, but its design intent was as group content.

The fact that something CAN be done does not mean that it should be or that it was intended to be done in that manner.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Lol @ highlighted part. Did you even take half a second to think about it before you wrote that nonsense?!

-snip-

What armors do we have in PVE now?

-snip-
*the ascended armor sets – they are a hassle to craft but there is nothing prestigious about them

-snip-

There you go, you gave yourself the answer to your question. Crafting a full set of Ascended armor costs ~6-700 gold, crafting 0-500 included (did not closely do the math, it may vary a bit but the cost is about there). While for many players getting the 700g or so to craft it is not hard, the majority seem to think otherwise as there are many players complaining about not being able to get it due to high cost. There are also the Wurmslayer armor pieces, btw.

Isn’t something like this already available?

Ascended Armor sets.
They are “craftable through PVE rewards and activities” and have unique skins.

As I said before, there is nothing special about the Ascended Armors. They only require time to be crafted, nothing else. On top of that, most people were hugely displeased with their aesthetics and instantly reskinned them.

Only time and nothing else? Lol.

You cannont expect people to be satisfied with the horrible heavy ascended armor, and at the same time release a really beautiful heavy set obtainable only via the external PVP tournaments.

It’s really nice that your personal tastes in armor aesthetics are those of the majority of the players. Oh, wait…

Every person’s ingame activities have a merit, be it winning a pvp tournament or gathering 50 000 Arah tokens. Neither is worth more than the other.

Just… WOW!

But, yeah, an armor set like the GW1 Obsidian Armor (not the skins, just the status!) would be cool, though it would need requirements that focus on successful gameplay and not only cash. And before anyone posts that obby armor required only an insane amount of cash to buy the materials – true, but there was no gem store and gem-to-gold conversion back in the day, buying in-game gold was strictly forbidden under any circumstances, and the amount of gold was truly immense and fairly hard to acquire in that game.

OP, your point is valid but, wow, you have a real way to understate the things that oppose your views… Taking your posts into account (not just the ones I quoted), I would gauge your special-snowflakiness at over 9000.

As a final conculsion, good luck to all PvP-ers in the upcoming tournaments and wear your hard-won skins proudly!

Wethospu.6437

The game is designed with dodge as an intended aspect of gameplay. It is integral to the combat design. You can of course choose to forgo its use in high end content but at that point you are not playing the game according to its design intent.

You may be able to enter fractals solo, but its design intent was as group content.

The fact that something CAN be done does not mean that it should be or that it was intended to be done in that manner.

How do you explain Exhausted gambit in Queen’s Gauntlet then? You are not intended to use that gambit?

It’s not a bug or an exploit to enter fractals alone. It was clearly designed like that. If people want extra challenge they are not forced to bring a full group.

People have different playstyles and prefer different things. Please stop trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone as "intended " or “designed”.

Ashen.2907

How do you explain Exhausted gambit in Queen’s Gauntlet then? You are not intended to use that gambit?

It’s not a bug or an exploit to enter fractals alone. It was clearly designed like that. If people want extra challenge they are not forced to bring a full group.

People have different playstyles and prefer different things. Please stop trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone as "intended " or “designed”.

Obviously it is intended in the Queens Gauntlet. Were there not incentives provided specifically to entice players into accepting the handicap there? That is a fairly decent indication that it was intended to be played in that manner. Is there a similar incentive provided by Anet for not dodging in fractals?

I am not enforcing anything of the sort. It is physically impossible for me to do so. I did point out what I thought people might have meant when describing a perceived lack of challenge in the game. Again, people could choose to play with their monitor turned off to make things more challenging. I mean one its not a, “bug or exploit,” to do so after all. But this is a handicap placed on the player, not an increase in the inherent level of difficulty or challenge in the game.