Give us a prestigeous PVE armor too

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

So we agree that it’s possible to have intended and designed content without dodging? Thus dodging is not that integral part of the combat.

Again you are focusing on the rewards. Rewards are not content. They are the prize for playing and completing the content. Adding reward doesn’t make things more difficult because the content already exists.

We already have challenging PvE content. We only lack proper rewards for doing it. That’s why I consider it absurd when some people say “PvE lacks hard content so it can’t have prestige rewards”.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

yeah, you know the rarity of those armor boxes from spvp? and from a box comes only one piece so, yeah, point is still valid. pve has more than enough features to it, pvp needs a ton of attention and the unique armor is a decent start.

Not sure if you realised this. Ascended boxes are easier to obtain and more common in sPvP than they are in PvE.

Most PvEers have to spend thousands of gold, grind for dragonite and do daily crafting to obtain ascended. The boxes are almost non existant as drops.

I know loads of primarily PvE players that do regular fractals (the main place for random boxes). And then when they started doing PvP they started getting ascended boxes way more often than they would for doing fractal 50.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

After reading the news about the new exclusive PVP armors, I cannot stop myself from wishing for a similar PVE counterpart. As it is now, the only prestige armor set in game, will be available for the 10-20 people that happen to win elite tournaments….

While I agree that top PVP players should get a special reward for their effords, I strongly believe that there should be a correspondant set for the people that prefer PVE.

I wish Anet would introduce an equally prestegius armor set, that could be craftable through PVE rewards and activities. I wouldn’t even mind paying 100 pristine relics per piece.

Before people start complaining that everything in PVE is easy so nothing will ever be prestigious: we have been lacking any kind of hard to obtain armor set, so now is the time to give us one of those. I am sure plenty of people will enjoy working towards one of those.

Wurm armor says hello: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wurmslayer's_armor

Why are people still ignoring this post?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

After reading the news about the new exclusive PVP armors, I cannot stop myself from wishing for a similar PVE counterpart. As it is now, the only prestige armor set in game, will be available for the 10-20 people that happen to win elite tournaments….

While I agree that top PVP players should get a special reward for their effords, I strongly believe that there should be a correspondant set for the people that prefer PVE.

I wish Anet would introduce an equally prestegius armor set, that could be craftable through PVE rewards and activities. I wouldn’t even mind paying 100 pristine relics per piece.

Before people start complaining that everything in PVE is easy so nothing will ever be prestigious: we have been lacking any kind of hard to obtain armor set, so now is the time to give us one of those. I am sure plenty of people will enjoy working towards one of those.

Possibly because it’s only half an armor set and it’s basically a reskin with some ugly undyeable particle effects. However I didn’t ignore it. See my first post in this topic several pages of toxic conversation ago.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So we agree that it’s possible to have intended and designed content without dodging? Thus dodging is not that integral part of the combat.

Again you are focusing on the rewards. Rewards are not content. They are the prize for playing and completing the content. Adding reward doesn’t make things more difficult because the content already exists.

We already have challenging PvE content. We only lack proper rewards for doing it. That’s why I consider it absurd when some people say “PvE lacks hard content so it can’t have prestige rewards”.

I am not focusing on rewards. My only reference to rewards in our discussion, out of multiple paragraphs of commentary, was to point out that in the one instance where Anet intended dodge to not be used they made a point of telling us so by providing a reward.

One instance, an exception to the norm as represented by all but 100% of the game does not represent the design intent for the game as a whole.

A player handicapping himself is not making the content inherently more challenging, he is just choosing to lower his performance.

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

also..
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sunless_weapons
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal_weapons

There’s a lot of skins you can only get by doing PvE already. Let us PvPers have some too…

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

A player handicapping himself is not making the content inherently more challenging, he is just choosing to lower his performance.

Truth.

Any task, no matter how mundane, can be made difficult with arbitrary additional restrictions placed on it. I challenge people to perform their morning commute wearing a blindfold after downing 7 shots of tequila. That must mean their morning commute is inherently difficult, right?

Posted by: Susulemon.3204

Susulemon.3204

I see all black lion ticket skins as hard core PVE skins, because you either have to go through some crazy event to get it, or farm keys ~.~

SABox skins are hardcore PVE skins too, no way you can get that through PVP!

Lilith Ajit.6173

I see all black lion ticket skins as hard core PVE skins, because you either have to go through some crazy event to get it, or farm keys ~.~

SABox skins are hardcore PVE skins too, no way you can get that through PVP!

Real money is PvRL. Also this is about ARMOR. Not weapons.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Wethospu.6437

I am not focusing on rewards. My only reference to rewards in our discussion, out of multiple paragraphs of commentary, was to point out that in the one instance where Anet intended dodge to not be used they made a point of telling us so by providing a reward.

One instance, an exception to the norm as represented by all but 100% of the game does not represent the design intent for the game as a whole.

If your definition of “intended” and “design” is based on whether it gives any reward, then yes, you are focusing on rewards.

There are plenty of content which me and others can clear without dodging. I would say over 75% of PvE content is like that. If you use tanky gear it’s at least 90%. Anyways, not exactly sure what you are trying to prove here. My point was that it’s possible to have intended and designed content without dodging.

So in your opinion if I pick an option to lower my damage by 50% the content doesn’t get harder but if I pick an option to increase enemy health by 100% then the content gets harder?

If not, are you then saying that fractal scale 50 has equal challenge as scale 10 because only health and damage changes?

Truth.

Any task, no matter how mundane, can be made difficult with arbitrary additional restrictions placed on it. I challenge people to perform their morning commute wearing a blindfold after downing 7 shots of tequila. That must mean their morning commute is inherently difficult, right?

That’s just naive. Please make a serious reply if you want to discuss something.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I think a fractal armor set (maybe having similar looks as its weapons) would be a good idea.

I also agree that wvw needs a couple more ‘exclusive’ sets as well. Something to work towards, to make badges worthwhile, etc.

I don’t disagree with the OP though, pve would need its own ‘exclusive’ set as well. That could come in the form of legendary armor, the return of FoW armor, harder world bosses getting a full set of droppable armor (like wurm slayer, but being a complete set, which anet could still do), etc.

Then each mode, or major game play component, would offer something “worth chasing.” (Theoretically) Just as we once desired to chase FoW armor, or Vabbian armor, etc.

This is a very reasonable position for this forum.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to turn this into another “us vs them” war, I play all modes (badly) and I don’t begrudge sPVP getting an exclusive set of armour but the “exclusive” PVE armour sets were the dungeon sets which were always accessible through sPVP. So them adding sPVP armour is a good first step but I think they really should add additional “prestige” sets for WvW, PVE and fractals. Which they may be planning on doing in the next few feature packs. (I’m still kinda hoping we’ll see a WvW exclusive set this feature pack though).

The difference is that the so-called exclusive dungeon skins were within anyone’s reach. Especially in the early days of the game, you could get a full dungeon set in a couple of days. Now, you need a week to do so.

The new exclusive pvp armor is accessible only to a handfull of players that get invited to a special tournament. And nobody is denying them their special reward. We are asking for something special for the people that play PVE.

It is incredibly difficult for me to see the new Amberite weapons, Mawdrey, in addition to the large lineup of Legendary / Tequatl / Wupwup weapons and then see requests for something special for people that play PVE.

To be frank.

Have you checked with Frank to see if he’s ok with this?

Picking nits here, but the legendary weapons all require pvp to get them – so they’re not at all pve exclusive. (Yes, WvW is players fighting players, thus is PvP – not PvE though quite often it appears to be Player vs. Door)

As I said elsewhere in this thread, I’ve no issue with there being unique rewards for PvPers, but comparing a few weapon skins to entire armour sets is… disingenuous…

They need entire sets, for each venue, that can ONLY be acquired through that venue. PvE exclusive armour sets, sets that can only be gotten through badges of honour, and of course, sets that can only be gotten through PvP.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

also..

There’s a lot of skins you can only get by doing PvE already. Let us PvPers have some too…

Sunless weapons don’t count because it doesn’t require you to do anything hard or noteworthy, just to faceroll Tequatl over and over and over hoping to get lucky.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Picking nits here, but the legendary weapons all require pvp to get them – so they’re not at all pve exclusive. (Yes, WvW is players fighting players, thus is PvP – not PvE though quite often it appears to be Player vs. Door)

Wrong, you get badges from Achievement chests. This hyperbola is out of place.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Anet would have to introduce something suitably challenging to be worthy of its own set of armour.

In GW1, there were the Fissure of Woe armour and Obsidian sets for people who tackled the high end dungeons and even then it took some doing. Arah is the nearest thing to that level of dungeon (which is being generous since FoW and the Underworld were substantially harder).

Rewards should come with rewarding content

I agree that we nead something like FoW and Underworld

Lilith Ajit.6173

Just wanted to say: you can’t get WvW maps from achievement chests.

[ARES]

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

As now, the only properly skill-based skins available in pve are the SAB’s Tribulation Mode ones, as any others have RNG involved in the drop chance, beside requiring to complete the appropriate content. And so far, Tribulation Mode gave just weapons.
Thus, asking for a skill-based PVE armor seems quite a fair demand.

Also, please put back SAB. Pretty please.

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Suck it up and play the other third (extrapolation here I know) of the game.

You’ll only get better at the game as a whole for doing so.

Exclusive PvE’ers don’t deserve extra treatment on top of what exclusives you already have; the PvP community has gotten diddly-squat. Even in the sad state that it is in, PvP is the only actual demonstration of any level of player skill (yes we’re all aware that this is arguable but the general basis still stands); the solution? Play PvP and get better. You won’t regret it whatsoever and that’s a promise.

I assume some people are scared of their self-assumed skill at the game being disproved, but it’s happened to all PvP’ers at some point and it’s only done us good.

I do so so so so so desperately want to see Fissue of Woe and The Underworld return however. We could all agree in Guild Wars 1 that there was definitely a high level of skill required to complete these areas.

That being said I play both PvP and PvE in equal amounts (with my heart closest to PvP of course).

\o/

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I think a fractal armor set (maybe having similar looks as its weapons) would be a good idea.

I also agree that wvw needs a couple more ‘exclusive’ sets as well. Something to work towards, to make badges worthwhile, etc.

I don’t disagree with the OP though, pve would need its own ‘exclusive’ set as well. That could come in the form of legendary armor, the return of FoW armor, harder world bosses getting a full set of droppable armor (like wurm slayer, but being a complete set, which anet could still do), etc.

Then each mode, or major game play component, would offer something “worth chasing.” (Theoretically) Just as we once desired to chase FoW armor, or Vabbian armor, etc.

This is a very reasonable position for this forum.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to turn this into another “us vs them” war, I play all modes (badly) and I don’t begrudge sPVP getting an exclusive set of armour but the “exclusive” PVE armour sets were the dungeon sets which were always accessible through sPVP. So them adding sPVP armour is a good first step but I think they really should add additional “prestige” sets for WvW, PVE and fractals. Which they may be planning on doing in the next few feature packs. (I’m still kinda hoping we’ll see a WvW exclusive set this feature pack though).

The difference is that the so-called exclusive dungeon skins were within anyone’s reach. Especially in the early days of the game, you could get a full dungeon set in a couple of days. Now, you need a week to do so.

The new exclusive pvp armor is accessible only to a handfull of players that get invited to a special tournament. And nobody is denying them their special reward. We are asking for something special for the people that play PVE.

It is incredibly difficult for me to see the new Amberite weapons, Mawdrey, in addition to the large lineup of Legendary / Tequatl / Wupwup weapons and then see requests for something special for people that play PVE.

To be frank.

Have you checked with Frank to see if he’s ok with this?

As I said elsewhere in this thread, I’ve no issue with there being unique rewards for PvPers, but comparing a few weapon skins to entire armour sets is… disingenuous…

They need entire sets, for each venue, that can ONLY be acquired through that venue. PvE exclusive armour sets, sets that can only be gotten through badges of honour, and of course, sets that can only be gotten through PvP.

Of course, Armor =/= weapons. I’m not comparing weapons to entire armor sets. My response was specifically to people that believe PVP is somehow obtaining -all- of the exclusivity due to the fact that dungeon armor can be acquired slowly through tracks, with the recent addition of an armor that the inverse does not apply to.

I have nothing against token-purchased armor that cannot be obtained through X player kills, and would -love- to see fractal relic armor/ An armor made from the mists.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Lilith Ajit.6173

Exclusive PvE’ers don’t deserve extra treatment on top of what exclusives you already have; the PvP community has gotten diddly-squat. Even in the sad state that it is in, PvP is the only actual demonstration of any level of player skill (yes we’re all aware that this is arguable but the general basis still stands); the solution? Play PvP and get better. You won’t regret it whatsoever and that’s a promise.

I assume some people are scared of their self-assumed skill at the game being disproved, but it’s happened to all PvP’ers at some point and it’s only done us good.

That being said I play both PvP and PvE in equal amounts (with my heart closest to PvP of course).

People like you need to stop making this pvp vs pve. It’s not a competition. Why can’t pve have an exclusive armor set? All the reasoning pvpers are giving is that pvp deserves it more. What the heck? Why does that matter?

No one thinks pvp shouldn’t have exclusive armor. No one. But this whole “I’m a pvper we get nothing!” Which isn’t true (WvW gets nothing and I’m not even biased, I only pve and I can see how little they get) should not be the reason pve doesn’t get a grind exclusive armor we can work on. I mean… why is this about pvp versus pve? Why are we fighting? That’s so stupid.

[ARES]

kylwilson.9137

People like you need to stop making this pvp vs pve. It’s not a competition. Why can’t pve have an exclusive armor set? All the reasoning pvpers are giving is that pvp deserves it more. What the heck? Why does that matter?

No one thinks pvp shouldn’t have exclusive armor. No one. But this whole “I’m a pvper we get nothing!” Which isn’t true (WvW gets nothing and I’m not even biased, I only pve and I can see how little they get) should not be the reason pve doesn’t get a grind exclusive armor we can work on. I mean… why is this about pvp versus pve? Why are we fighting? That’s so stupid.

It’s the fact that people with this mindset are straight up ignoring a pretty…what’s the word…interesting part of the game entirely, instead of jumping in and participating. And the fact that you’re so kitten defensive about it all of a sudden only substantiates the fact that it is a PvE vs PvP thing. You’re digging your own hole, and you shouldn’t expect any sympathy with this kind of attitude of “PvP got it too so we also want it for PvE”. You have it already, and more.

\o/

Lilith Ajit.6173

It’s the fact that people with this mindset are straight up ignoring a pretty…what’s the word…interesting part of the game entirely, instead of jumping in and participating. And the fact that you’re so kitten defensive about it all of a sudden only substantiates the fact that it is a PvE vs PvP thing. You’re digging your own hole, and you shouldn’t expect any sympathy with this kind of attitude of “PvP got it too so we also want it for PvE”. You have it already, and more.

Not in the form of armors, no we don’t.

I don’t want a pvp armor. I don’t like pvp, I don’t enjoy pvp, I don’t want an armor that is pvp exclusive because I don’t want people to think I like pvp.

I do want new armors that I can work toward and I’d love them to be a token system through fractals. Or an upgrade sort of deal like Mawdrey, through the most difficult pve content. Whether you think it is actually difficult, idgaf, and it is irrelevant.

It isn’t a pvp versus pve thing. You’re not using logic when you say that me saying that makes it a pvp versus pve thing. It isn’t.

I think there should be special armors that say “I am dedicated to pvp/wvw/high level pve.” Armors. Not weapons. PvP gets theirs first. Fine. But the OP and most who agree with the OP are asking anet to consider doing something similar for pve (and also many say wvw as well!) There is nothing wrong with this. Pvpers are coming in here and attacking everyone without justification. Just stop.

[ARES]

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I dont understand the arguement of PvP gets nothing. You’ve had ranking updates, reward updates, wardrobe advantage, new maps, spectator mode, huge dev supported tournies. And lets not forget the main and most important thing (the only thing really needed in a PvP gametype). PvP balance. Every balance patch is based on PvP.

Im failing to see how PvP gets nothing. I probably missed a few other things aswell.

kylwilson.9137

I don’t want a pvp armor. I don’t like pvp, I don’t enjoy pvp, I don’t want an armor that is pvp exclusive because I don’t want people to think I like pvp.

I do want new armors that I can work toward and I’d love them to be a token system through fractals. Or an upgrade sort of deal like Mawdrey, through the most difficult pve content. Whether you think it is actually difficult, idgaf, and it is irrelevant.

It isn’t a pvp versus pve thing. You’re not using logic when you say that me saying that makes it a pvp versus pve thing. It isn’t.

I think there should be special armors that say “I am dedicated to pvp/wvw/high level pve.” Armors. Not weapons. PvP gets theirs first. Fine. But the OP and most who agree with the OP are asking anet to consider doing something similar for pve (and also many say wvw as well!) There is nothing wrong with this. Pvpers are coming in here and attacking everyone without justification. Just stop.

You skimmed over the section where I state that I play both equally, and yes my heart is closer to PvP, but that’s because I know how neglected it’s been for the past two years.

This is how life works: You don’t participate, you don’t get the reward you want. It is black and white. There is no grey in between. It’s never been a matter of PvP vs PvE. It’s a matter of playing the game to it’s fullest. It’s literally Occam’s razor here. That is the explanation.

I wanted the Mawdrey back-piece; I went out and got it the hard way. That’s because I’m willing to play all aspects of the game. People’s fickleness and unwillingness to play other game modes should not warrant Arena Net going out of their way to satisfy those players in question.

Any other mindset is juvenile.

\o/

(edited by kylwilson.9137)

Lilith Ajit.6173

You skimmed over the section where I state that I play both equally, and yes my heart is closer to PvP, but that’s because I know how neglected it’s been for the past two years.

This is how life works: You don’t participate, you don’t get the reward you want. It is black and white. There is no grey in between. It’s never been a matter of PvP vs PvE. It’s a matter of playing the game to it’s fullest. It’s literally Occam’s razor here. That is the explanation.

How is my not wanting a pvp exclusive armor juvenile? I don’t want a pvp exclusive armor. Do I need to say it again? I don’t want a pvp exclusive reward. I don’t want a pvp exclusive armor.

I would like to see anet introduce armor rewards for pve. There’s nothing wrong with that. How is my asking or wanting that juvenile and how is it that only pvp getting an exclusive reward “how life works”? I don’t want a pvp reward. They can keep the glorious armor and I don’t want it. I want a fractal armor set. That’s juvenile? That’s wrong? That’s not how life works?

What am I even reading now?

[ARES]

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

How is my not wanting a pvp exclusive armor juvenile? I don’t want a pvp exclusive armor. Do I need to say it again? I don’t want a pvp exclusive reward. I don’t want a pvp exclusive armor.

I would like to see anet introduce armor rewards for pve. There’s nothing wrong with that. How is my asking or wanting that juvenile and how is it that only pvp getting an exclusive reward “how life works”? I don’t want a pvp reward. They can keep the glorious armor and I don’t want it. I want a fractal armor set. That’s juvenile? That’s wrong? That’s not how life works?

Because you keep saying I WANT… that’s just childish lol, grow up
Anet doesn’t have to give us anything, you can’t demand stuff.
Just accept whatever is being done right now and be content.
If they add prestigious PvE armor (which i’m sure they will), than you will get what you want, but you sound like a child , crying about something because you didn’t get what you wanted… World doesn’t work that way, you can’t demand things..just be happy with what’s given. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t immediately get what you want..

Lilith Ajit.6173

Because you keep saying I WANT… that’s just childish lol, grow up
Anet doesn’t have to give us anything, you can’t demand stuff.
Just accept whatever is being done right now and be content.
If they add prestigious PvE armor (which i’m sure they will), than you will get what you want, but you sound like a child , crying about something because you didn’t get what you wanted… World doesn’t work that way, you can’t demand things..just be happy with what’s given. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t immediately get what you want..

I’m saying I want it, not “Anet has to do this.”

Since when is asking for something childish?

[ARES]

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

But you can certainly map without engaging in any kind of player vs. player whatsoever.

EoTM —>badges, tons of badges, without really ever needing to fight unless two zergs collide.
WvW —>map completion, only explore what your side controls. This will avoid any possible PvP encounters. Anything left over (POIs/SPs that are in open-ish areas), just grab them on off hours or whenever your side controls the closest tower/keep/supply camp. It may take a while since you need to rotate to all 3 colors, but that’s price you pay for refusing to engage in any kind of PvP: inconvenience.

WvW really is a good balance of PvE and PvP whereas you can do one, the other, or both if you want to.

I could never claim with 100% certainty you won’t encounter another human in combat, but with the above method you will avoid 99% of encounters. (Some thieves are extremely persistent)

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Lilith Ajit.6173

But you can certainly map without engaging in any kind of player vs. player whatsoever.

EoTM —>badges, tons of badges, without really ever needing to fight unless two zergs collide.
WvW -->map completion, only explore what your side controls. This will avoid any possible PvP encounters. Anything left over (POIs/SPs that are in open-ish areas), just grab them on off hours or whenever your side controls the closest tower/keep/supply camp. It may take a while since you need to rotate to all 3 colors, but that’s price you pay for refusing to engage in any kind of PvP: inconvenience.

WvW really is a good balance of PvE and PvP whereas you can do one, the other, or both if you want to.

I could never claim with 100% certainty you won’t encounter another human in combat, but with the above method you will avoid 99% of encounters. (Some thieves are extremely persistent)

I wasn’t arguing that mapping wvw is difficult or anything (it wasn’t easy for me since I’m not good at pvp and did consistently run into roamers, but I do think it was a valuable part of building my legendaries) just that it is an aspect of wvw that you need for a legendary and it isn’t just given to you via achieve chests.

[ARES]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No one thinks pvp shouldn’t have exclusive armor. No one.

I do. Neither should PvE or WvW. Which is why i wholeheartedly supported PvP reward tracks when they were introduced. It’s funny, though, that so many people that then supported breaking with exclusivity had become its vocal supporters now, when it started to work for them.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Lilith Ajit.6173

No one thinks pvp shouldn’t have exclusive armor. No one.

I do. Neither should PvE or WvW. Which is why i wholeheartedly supported PvP reward tracks when they were introduced. It’s funny, though, that so many people that then supported breaking with exclusivity had become its vocal supporters now, when it started to work for them.

Okay well i will revise my statement.

No one supporting exclusive pve armor rewards are against exclusive pvp armor rewards.

[ARES]

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

It would be very easy to do this kind of thing really and I don’t see why not. I hate seeing all the playerbases from different sections of the game bickering at each other saying “it’s their fault we don’t have x y z” when the reality is the reason we don’t have this stuff in ALL gamemodes is because Anet does not want us to.

What I am thinking is for PvE you could have more Queens Gauntlet type solo events, giving you unique, account bound weapons and armours. They need to be HARD tho.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Arah is the nearest thing to that level of dungeon (which is being generous since FoW and the Underworld were substantially harder).

Eh…what timespan are we talking about here? Back when Ursanway and SFway were going strong having 500+ ectos was within reach of anyone who actively played the game. Getting Obsidian armor wasn’t that difficult, and UW nor FoW were difficult – just time consuming.

UW and FoW were difficult. But they were really unforgiving. One fail and that’s it you have to start over.

That’s why people brought rez scrolls and kitten.

UW/FoW really weren’t that difficult. At one point they were, but then once people figured it out…oh, easy-peasy. It reminded me a lot of Kholer or Arah…they used to be difficult, I remember getting wiped 5+ times at Kholer back in September 2012. Now it’s a laughing matter to get through either.

NewTrain.7549

That’s just naive. Please make a serious reply if you want to discuss something.

Oh, it’s naive because it showed exactly how flawed your point was, huh? Yeah, got it.

How about instead of making mischaracterizations, you address the point being made.

Wethospu.6437

It was a poor example and wasn’t even about my point.

For lots of people GW2 is free time, something they do to have fun. Not a task like morning commute. For some people having fun means challenging themselves, not just getting virtual rewards. And it’s more than possible to challenge yourself in GW2 PvE, using intended and designed features. As I have said now multiples times, we only need rewards for doing those challenging things.

But even my point applies to your example. If you are looking for a challenge then it’s possible to make it more challenging. Just like you said, do it “wearing a blindfold after downing 7 shots of tequila”.

NewTrain.7549

It was a poor example and wasn’t even about my point.

For lots of people GW2 is free time, something they do to have fun. Not a task like morning commute.

But even my point applies to your example. If you are looking for a challenge then it’s possible to make it more challenging. Just like you said, do it “wearing a blindfold after downing 7 shots of tequila”.

It was exactly about your point. The activity used in the example doesn’t matter. Adding arbitrary outside stipulations does not increase the inherent challenge of the task.

Again, I’ll ask you to try and counter the point.

Wethospu.6437

Inherent challenge doesn’t mean anything so your point is countered. While difficulty of every tasks depends on the task itself it also depends on the environment and the person doing it.

Ashen.2907

If your definition of “intended” and “design” is based on whether it gives any reward, then yes, you are focusing on rewards.

No, those are not my definitions of those words, nor did I use those definitions.

There are plenty of content which me and others can clear without dodging. I would say over 75% of PvE content is like that. If you use tanky gear it’s at least 90%. Anyways, not exactly sure what you are trying to prove here. My point was that it’s possible to have intended and designed content without dodging.

Of course it is possible to decline to use any given skill or game mechanic (with the exception perhaps of damage). That does not mean that they, dodge for example, are not part of the intended design of the game. If I play with my monitor turned off and succeed at a given piece of content because rapidly hitting <1> might actually be sufficient to win some fights even if the player cannot see what he is doing it does not mean that the game is not designed and intended for players to see what they are doing in order to better respond to combat circumstances.

So in your opinion if I pick an option to lower my damage by 50% the content doesn’t get harder but if I pick an option to increase enemy health by 100% then the content gets harder?

If not, are you then saying that fractal scale 50 has equal challenge as scale 10 because only health and damage changes?

A self imposed handicap does not increase the inherent difficulty of a piece of content because the content itself is not affected. It does however reduce the player’s performance.

If you choose to walk a marathon rather than running it have you increased the challenge or merely ensured that you will not win ?

Personally, when I am looking for a challenge in a game, I want to see something that pushes the limits of my full capacity, not something that disallows me from using my full capacity.

Posted by: Goliath.7382

Goliath.7382

I remind you that Guild Wars 2 is mostly a PVE game, so pleasing those players should be a priority.

Are you kidding me with this? I’m almost exclusively a PvE player and even I find this statement completely asinine. We get new content on a biweekly basis. I’ve lost count how many LS exclusive gear pieces we’ve basically been spoonfed over the last 2 years. Half of Kessex Hills is completely different from what it was at launch. The main hub of the game was literally destroyed and turned into a dynamic battlefield for a month. Before the April 15 feature patch, PVE players were able to gain the few pieces of PVP exclusive armor that were actually in the game via achievement reward chest, which was a boon for them once the Wardrobe system was implemented.

But because they’ve decided to give that small handful of players that have actually dedicated themselves to the stagnation that is sPVP enough to have the skill needed to win tournaments a diservedly unique armor skin, you have the gall to imply that PVE isn’t the priority of the developers?

(edited by Goliath.7382)

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

There is always a correct sequence of input to do anything in pve, so it could be done by a bot if such things were allowed. Anything a bot could do is automatically not skill.

Wethospu.6437

There is also a correct sequence for PvP.

Of course it is possible to decline to use any given skill or game mechanic (with the exception perhaps of damage). That does not mean that they, dodge for example, are not part of the intended design of the game. If I play with my monitor turned off and succeed at a given piece of content because rapidly hitting <1> might actually be sufficient to win some fights even if the player cannot see what he is doing it does not mean that the game is not designed and intended for players to see what they are doing in order to better respond to combat circumstances.

I have never said that dodging is not part of the intended design of the game. I’m saying that not dodging is also part of the intended design of the game. It’s only a one way to prevent damage.

Where does the game tell that we should try to “better respond to combat circumstances”? This again sounds like trying enforce your play style on everyone else. Nothing in the game tells that you shouldn’t handicap yourself for personal challenge to have fun.

A self imposed handicap does not increase the inherent difficulty of a piece of content because the content itself is not affected. It does however reduce the player’s performance.

If you choose to walk a marathon rather than running it have you increased the challenge or merely ensured that you will not win ?

Personally, when I am looking for a challenge in a game, I want to see something that pushes the limits of my full capacity, not something that disallows me from using my full capacity.

As I stated above, inherent difficulty doesn’t mean anything. And by your logic, fractal scale 50 has same difficulty as fractal scale 10.

So is PvE now competitive? How do I win in PvE? Oh yeah, fulfilling my own goals (like challenges).

Capacity of yourself or your character? Because handicapping your character is a good way to push limits of your personal capacity.

NewTrain.7549

Inherent challenge doesn’t mean anything so your point is countered. While difficulty of every tasks depends on the task itself it also depends on the environment and the person doing it.

I noticed you mentioned nothing in there about arbitrary restrictions on the person performing the task.

Countered. That word doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Care to try again?

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

also..

Thew skins displayed are nothing more than ascended armours with a new glow effect. Not a new skin by any means.

Wethospu.6437

I noticed you mentioned nothing in there about arbitrary restrictions on the person performing the task.

Care to try again?

Sorry, I can’t counter something which doesn’t exist.

Every task always has restrictions. Whether they are arbitrary depends on your personal opinion. Lots of challenges have “arbitrary” restrictions to increase difficulty, for example gambits in Queen’s Gauntlet.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

This is too funny. Posters have shown time and time again that there are exclusive pve rewards and that pve gets way more content but you all keep beating the horse. It’s like a group of spoiled children who think if you cry and whine enough, daddy Anet will give you more stuff. PvP has been the neglected middle step-child of GW2 for 2 years. 2 effing years. And when they get 1 armor (just 1) some of you turn into screaming, crying babies. It’s pathetic.

Ashen.2907

Care to try again?

Sorry, I can’t counter something which doesn’t exist.

Every task always has restrictions. Whether they are arbitrary depends on your personal opinion. Lots of challenges have “arbitrary” restrictions to increase difficulty, for example gambits in Queen’s Gauntlet.

Yes, but is the restriction part of the task ?

Gambits in Queen’s Gauntlet, for example, were designed into the task. Had they not been, and a player chose to self impose those same limitations they would have been arbitrary. They would not have been part of the system. They would have been self imposed based on personal whim. That is a definition of arbitrary.

Wethospu.6437

Yes, if it affects the task.

No, self imposed is not the definition of arbitrary. For example restriction to solo Lupicus is self imposed but it’s not arbitrary. It’s well thought and makes sense for the encounter. However, a restriction to solo it without Banner of Defense would be arbitrary because it makes no sense.

According to you self imposed rules don’t increase challenge. So soloing Lupicus has same difficulty as when doing it on a group.

Let’s say developers add minipet for soloing Lupicus. Would soloing it suddenly get harder?

This is too funny. Posters have shown time and time again that there are exclusive pve rewards and that pve gets way more content but you all keep beating the horse. It’s like a group of spoiled children who think if you cry and whine enough, daddy Anet will give you more stuff. PvP has been the neglected middle step-child of GW2 for 2 years. 2 effing years. And when they get 1 armor (just 1) some of you turn into screaming, crying babies. It’s pathetic.

Game is split to casual PvP (WvW), high end PvP (sPvP), casual PvE (LS and open) and high end PvE (dungeons and fractals).

Guess which one gets the most updates?

Goliath.7382

Yes, if it affects the task.

No, self imposed is not the definition of arbitrary. For example restriction to solo Lupicus is self imposed but it’s not arbitrary. It’s well thought and makes sense for the encounter. However, a restriction to solo it without Banner of Defense would be arbitrary because it makes no sense.

According to you self imposed rules don’t increase challenge. So soloing Lupicus has same difficulty as when doing it on a group.

If I may, I think I have a way of explaining this in a way that should properly convey the other point here.

Say that we assign every dungeon fight a Challenge Rating, a numerical value that indicates how hard the content is designed to be for a party of five players with a certain gear expectation.

Let’s say Lupicus has a CR of 90. (That’s just an arbitrary number I pulled out of my head for the sake of the example, don’t think about it too much.) Now let’s say that a CR 90 fight, by design, is meant to be a challenging if not difficult encounter for a party of 5 level 80 characters with full exotic gear.

Regardless of how you choose to engage Lupicus, it’s CR does not change. For instance, if everyone in the party has full ascended gear instead of exotic, Lupicus’s CR does not drop down to 85. It remains at 90. Your party will have an easier time of the fight not because the fight itself has become easier – Lupicus’s attack routine won’t very at all – but because the party is at a power level beyond what the encounter originally assumed.

Likewise, if you choose to solo Lupicus, his CR does not jump up to 100. Again, Lupicus’s attack routine is still the same. His CR is still 90, however you are entering the fight with an overall power level significantly lower then what a the encounter was designed for.

Does that make sense?

Wethospu.6437

Yes, difficulty of the task depends on the task itself. But it also depends on the environment and the person doing it.

Do you realize how flawed that CR is as a number? It doesn’t mean anything on its own. There is no guarantee that a fight with 90 CR is harder than a fight with 50 CR. Everyone (hopefully) understand that soloing Lupicus is harder than doing it with a party.

Reminder of what my actual arguments are:

1) It’s possible to play challenging PvE content

2) Self imposed rules make challenges harder

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

I do so so so so so desperately want to see Fissue of Woe and The Underworld return however. We could all agree in Guild Wars 1 that there was definitely a high level of skill required to complete these areas.

Fully agree. There should be some PVP hard to aquier sets to.

Goliath.7382

Yes, difficulty of the task depends on the task itself. But it also depends on the environment and the person doing it.

Do you realize how flawed that CR is as a number? It doesn’t mean anything on its own. There is no guarantee that a fight with 90 CR is harder than a fight with 50 CR. Everyone (hopefully) understand that soloing Lupicus is harder than doing it with a party.

Reminder of what my actual arguments are:

1) It’s possible to play challenging PvE content

2) Self imposed rules make challenges harder

Fair enough. I knew that unless you were familiar with games like D&D 3.5, the concept of a challenge rating might go over your head. To address the arguments that you’ve stated:

1) There are exactly two challenging forms of PvE content at the moment. Teq and Triple Trouble. Even those have to be taken with a grain of salt, because while they do require coordination, any shmuck who show’s up to the map early enough can simply join in with the actual organized players and ride their coattails to the reward while putting in minimal to no effort. This is not the case with PvP, where if even one person doesn’t pull their wait, the whole team will suffer for it.

2) Self-imposed rules do not make the challenge harder. The challenge stays the same regardless, all you’ve done is purposely lower your chances of succeeding at said challenge. If you go to the local fair and decide to play that game where you have to knock over those three bottles with a softball to win a bear, all you have to do is knock over those three bottles. It’s not like you’re going to win a better prize or anything for managing to do it with your eyes closed.