Give us armor skins instead of outfits!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

How long has it been since last armor gemstore skin release? 2 years? Cos last 1 that I remember is zodiac skins set… And now all we get are outfits… Why? Anet, why? Can’t you release ARMOR skins instead of outfits? Then someone that would like to have whole armor like balthazar outfit he would have it, but if someone would like to have just shoulders form such outfit then he would be able to have it! Is it so hard to “cut” outfit and release it as armor skins set? I bet that if you would release last few outfits as armor skins the sell would be much higher! For example me and new Verdant Executor Outfit. I would love to have chest and head from this outfit as armor skins only, because whole rest is ugly. Unfortunatly I can’t do that so I won’t buy it

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

This may or may not answer your concern but here goes.

As you can see, Anet did, in the past, sell armor skins in the gem store. Some time back (over a year…maybe two), they changed their strategy to add new outfits only in the gem store. All new armor skins are in-game rewards. As I recall, this stemmed from overwhelming player complaints at armor skins in the gem store. Perhaps others will have more detail or maybe a different recollection, but this is how I recall it. The change was player-driven.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

^ yea… and we dont get many reward armors so i hope everybody who wanted that change got a tiny stone in their shoe and cant get it out cause of one reason for the complete day tomorrow. Whelp… outfit salt comes after i got my fill of content. Toodles!

Kasteros.9847

This may or may not answer your concern but here goes.

As you can see, Anet did, in the past, sell armor skins in the gem store. Some time back (over a year…maybe two), they changed their strategy to add new outfits only in the gem store. All new armor skins are in-game rewards. As I recall, this stemmed from overwhelming player complaints at armor skins in the gem store. Perhaps others will have more detail or maybe a different recollection, but this is how I recall it. The change was player-driven.

YEah that is a good point, BUT on the otehr side they didn’t release many armors since then… About 3? Or so… And a lot of outfits. Also does it hurt em releasing armors instead of outfits? They would still release armors to get in game, but also keep releasing armors for gem store

[One][SiOn][dF]

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Anet would do well to go back to sets since most of the outfits, as a whole, are as fugly as the north end of a southbound dog. Parts of them aint so bad and would look great in mix and match.

Most of the reward armors are as fugly as most of the outfits.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Nuno.9735

Nuno.9735

I personally like outfits better usually.

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

I feel like the big issue is that new patches and updates don’t give players a larger number of new skins or weapons to collect. An mmo is all about customizing your character to be unique or something appealing to you, that sets you apart from other characters/players. With outfits, dye panels is as far as it goes in terms of being unique. On top of that more skins usually means a larger chance that players will decide to stick around just to obtain them. my 2 cents.

Kasteros.9847

“Usually”… That is the point! If they would allow us to swap armor parts with outfit parts then it won’t be “usually”, but “always”, Cos everyone would be happy if they would do that! Both those like you, who like outfits and those like me, who like armors sets!

[One][SiOn][dF]

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

Well I like much the new outfit but Yes I would like more amor skins instead, because I like personalization

Parabrezza

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I mix and match skins and able to change dye per armor piece is a lot more handy than the outfit restrictions.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“Usually”… That is the point! If they would allow us to swap armor parts with outfit parts then it won’t be “usually”, but “always”, Cos everyone would be happy if they would do that! Both those like you, who like outfits and those like me, who like armors sets!

If they could be swapped with armor parts then they’d be armor and not outfits. And you’d get the same problems with armor because armor is one of the most expensive things they make (as they’ve already said) and because each outfit would have to be made 3 different times for each armor weight (meaning you’d have to buy each one 3 different times) and because of the seams in different places, pieces from different weights would look different.

What they should have done was made the outfits interchangeable among themselves as if they were a fourth, statless armor. But they didn’t. Their goal was to sell unified, stylized looks as standalone sets which is why they weren’t made mix and match.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I wouldn’t mind paying for some armor, if they’d put out more of them. Maybe buying some armor would help them afford more people to make armor for game rewards too?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Mike O’Brien just reiterated that armor is the most expensive asset we have in the game. It takes huge amounts of resources to make them work, for 5 races, two genders, 3 weights, and with dyes, mixing & matching, etc.

Regardless of whether people are willing to pay (and not everyone is), they aren’t going to manage to release that many more armor sets per year. In contrast, outfits are easy (fewer designs, no mix & match), so they can release a lot of them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

Mike O’Brien just reiterated that armor is the most expensive asset we have in the game. It takes huge amounts of resources to make them work, for 5 races, two genders, 3 weights, and with dyes, mixing & matching, etc.

Regardless of whether people are willing to pay (and not everyone is), they aren’t going to manage to release that many more armor sets per year. In contrast, outfits are easy (fewer designs, no mix & match), so they can release a lot of them.

Except they never look good; they should take an example of other games.

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Stop. Just stop. They have already said time and time again WHY they cant, and its a good sound reason. Stop making topics like this every week.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Stop. Just stop. They have already said time and time again WHY they cant, and its a good sound reason. Stop making topics like this every week.

“We don’t want to put in the effort” is a good sound reason?

Wew…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Felahr.9830

Wew…

“the manpower, time, and money required to do this thing, would make the end result cost way more than any sane player is willing to put into it.”

do YOU want 5000 gem pricetag armor sets?

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Wew…

“the manpower, time, and money required to do this thing, would make the end result cost way more than any sane player is willing to put into it.”

Armor sets, when Anet still put forth the effort to make them, were priced the same as the outfits are.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Felahr.9830

Wew…

Armor sets, when Anet still put forth the effort to make them, were priced the same as the outfits are.

and now that they are so many more, that makes thousands more combinations that have to work. it baffles me that you people dont seem to understand that they have to make it work and not clip with EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE COMBINATION OF 6 PIECES + WEAPONS + BACKPACK. thats millions of combinations that they have to troubleshoot and match. what part of “this isnt feasible anymore” is too hard to freaking grasp?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wew…

Yes. But each armor set would only be useable for one armor weight. To convert outfits to armors that fit each weight so all can use them just like now, they would cost 3 times as much, since you would have to buy 3 sets and not one.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

…and since this isn’t my first or only MMO and my son is a programmer I know that is total unequivocal cow droppings! The one and only real reason is because outfits are far simpler, cost effective and make more money in the gem stores then armor, period. You can choose to believe whatever is thrown out for reasons but don’t expect everyone else to accept it at face value.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Felahr.9830

…and since this isn’t my first or only MMO and my son is a programmer I know that is total unequivocal cow droppings! The one and only real reason is because outfits are far simpler, cost effective and make more money in the gem stores then armor, period. You can choose to believe whatever is thrown out for reasons but don’t expect everyone else to accept it at face value.

youre awfully enamored of yourself, arent you

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Wew…

and now that they are so many more, that makes thousands more combinations that have to work. it baffles me that you people dont seem to understand that they have to make it work and not clip with EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE COMBINATION OF 6 PIECES + WEAPONS + BACKPACK. thats millions of combinations that they have to troubleshoot and match. what part of “this isnt feasible anymore” is too hard to freaking grasp?

Wut?

There’s no danger of boots clipping with a helmet, that’s just beyond silly.

Pretty much every base armor clips when you mix and match parts. Everyone knows this and accepts this nor does Anet care. You literally can not equip a 2hand weapon and a backpack at the same time without clipping aside from 1 or 2 packs and god help you if you play Charr.

This fanbase has such a case of Stockholm Syndrome that people seriously think armor design for video games is some black magic sorcery…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Xujir.4067

Xujir.4067

I really wish we were still getting armor sets instead of outfits. Being able to construct my own unique combination of armor pieces was one of the things that first attracted me to the game. Outfits just aren’t as fun. I would gladly trade several outfits for one armor set.

(edited by Xujir.4067)

Posted by: Bazs.1470

Bazs.1470

Wew…

Wut?

There’s no danger of boots clipping with a helmet, that’s just beyond silly.

Pretty much every base armor clips when you mix and match parts. Everyone knows this and accepts this nor does Anet care. You literally can not equip a 2hand weapon and a backpack at the same time without clipping aside from 1 or 2 packs and god help you if you play Charr.

This fanbase has such a case of Stockholm Syndrome that people seriously think armor design for video games is some black magic sorcery…

People think it’s black magic because it seems making a new armor set is really black magic for Arenanet at this point. They complaining about they need to make it all for the different races and genders, while they need to do almost the same with outfits – so this is exactly the same bullkitten like what we got as explonation for why the Privateer weapons are account bound – “because they’re speacial” but they’re not, Anet just wants money and we won’t buy gems if we can get what we want just playing with their game.

I won’t believe this bullkitten about matching the armor pieces is something they actually work hard, when the charr tails and asura feets are still clipping through the armor horribly.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s a sham really. They say “armor takes a lot more time and effort to make” which is technically true.

However, they then ramp up production of outfits and all but halt development of armor sets. Basically doing the same amount of work by releasing three outfits in that period that would have otherwise been one armor set.

Outfits can be used by any character however, so the idea here is that they can easily sell 1/3 of an armor set to more players, despite offering less overall variation in player looks.

A better compromise would be to unlock armor skins for whatever weight’s animation rig the outfit uses. Thus, you could get a “light” outfit look on a heavy character, but if you have a character that actually uses light armor then you could skin it in pieces.

I think they’d actually sell more outfits this way, since it would require similar amounts of work but create additional value for people that just want part of the skin for whatever weight it is.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Wew…

You are missing the point badly. Arenanet is in the business of making GW2 appeal to its players. Outfits are not appealing. Armor sets are. We still have original armor sets that clip and we don’t care.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

It’s a sham really. They say “armor takes a lot more time and effort to make” which is technically true.

However, they then ramp up production of outfits and all but halt development of armor sets. Basically doing the same amount of work by releasing three outfits in that period that would have otherwise been one armor set.

Outfits can be used by any character however, so the idea here is that they can easily sell 1/3 of an armor set to more players, despite offering less overall variation in player looks.

A better compromise would be to unlock armor skins for whatever weight’s animation rig the outfit uses. Thus, you could get a “light” outfit look on a heavy character, but if you have a character that actually uses light armor then you could skin it in pieces.

I think they’d actually sell more outfits this way, since it would require similar amounts of work but create additional value for people that just want part of the skin for whatever weight it is.

Very true. Some people think outfits can be sneezed out in a few hours which is why Anet went that route. They still take time.

I would trade all of my outfits for one cool new armor set.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

From the most recent AMA on Reddit about this patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s1cj2

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You are missing the point badly. Arenanet is in the business of making GW2 appeal to its players. Outfits are not appealing. Armor sets are. We still have original armor sets that clip and we don’t care.

GW2’s players are diverse. Some really like the outifts and prefer to have a selection of many (since no matter how much you like a skin, 20% find it ugly). Some really care about clipping. Some never mix & match (except for helms). Some don’t care much at all about whether rewards come from gem shop or the game; some do.

In making a game that appeals to lots of players, ANet has to balance resource costs against all the different things we want.

The problem is that ANet simply cannot release skins fast enough to please all of us even most of the time.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

tbqh I like outfits more, because I don’t have to also buy transmutation stones ontop of the skins to apply them to what I want.

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

No they don’t look good, the outfits and armor in this game are behind in the times, just not appealing at all most of it, and most of the outfits are copies of things we already have in the game just changed around a little bit and none of it is attractive.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

No they don’t look good, the outfits and armor in this game are behind in the times, just not appealing at all most of it, and most of the outfits are copies of things we already have in the game just changed around a little bit and none of it is attractive.

Uhm well thats a matter of opinion, and a lot of the outfits actually do look good, and sell really well. Many are really ugly, yeah and even ones I really like have certain things about them that can be awkward to me, but ultimately I think they’re improving A LOT. Look at Marjory’s new outfit in Season 3, and I can’t wait to see what Kasmeer’s new one is.

Posted by: Naz.6570

Naz.6570

Since this is a MMO focused on gathering cool looking armor rather than gear progress, I think it’s kinda weird that they give us a “no, too much work” answer to more armor sets. Just comes off as lazy imo.

(edited by Naz.6570)

Posted by: Melon.2389

Melon.2389

Outfits are easier to make for equal or better profit than armor skins.

The answer to every question on this board is profit/money.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

My problem is that you can’t mix outfit parts with armour.

Also outfits most of the time doesn’t look interesting to me therefore i don’t buy them – they are waste of gems for me.

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

Strange how this never seemed to be a problem with any other MMO I’ve ever played. I’ve never seen an expansion with so few armor sets in my life.

The problem doesn’t seem to be a lack of resources, the problem seems to be hilariously tragic mishandling of said resources and a content pipeline that looks like a dirty dishrag.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

youre awfully enamored of yourself, arent you

No, I tend to speak frankly, I’m not here to coddle nor blindly support something I believe is wrong, it’s as simple as that. I have always appreciated the work done but when I hear something along this line that sounds absurd to someone who has been playing MMO’s since the 90’s I can’t let it slide. There is nothing wrong with the truth, I expect it regardless of how difficult it is to hear.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Just a flesh wound.3589

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s1cj2

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

9 months for a set of 3, so we can say 3 months for one set of one armor weight.

Three months?!

Ok. I admit I know diddly about computers. But three months? How can it be that hard? What takes it so long?

I know they have 5 races and 2 sexes, but humans and Sylvari should be using the same models. Maybe Norns too. Maybe Asura, but smaller? And Charr, well they always look like they’re stretched over so yah, I can see them taking extra time. But 3 months at 8 hour workdays and 5 days a week? That’s a lot of hours.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No matter how ugly you think a skin is: 20% of the community will love it. No matter which skin is your favorite, 20% of players will hate it.

I’m pretty happy if I like 1 out of 10 skins in any game. This game is no better/no worse than others imo.

ANet is just never going to be able to release enough skins to satisfy us all, especially if they dropped all outfits and weapons and backs and gliders and just worked on armor. There’s a better chance of offering something for nearly everyone if they do some of the quicker skins and some of the slower ones.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

We are all aware armor takes longer than outfits. This is a problem of Anet’s own making.

Specifically, Anet decided (in a manner contrary to much of the release armor) that EVERY armor set had to have three weights, and be equipped by every race. They could have just as easily introduced cultural armor sets or single weight sets on a rotating schedule and there is no technical reason not to.

What we’re saying is that they’re already spending the effort, and already producing the same amount of unique assets in terms of weights/races.

It is not LESS work to create three outfits and sell them in the gem store than create one armor set, and hey, look how often they release new outfits!

The difference is that they’re willing to do the same work, on the same animation rigs (by now it should be plainly obvious to anyone which outfits are heavy, med, and light rigs respectively) but CHOOSE to utilize those assets in a way that isn’t interested in adding value to their product, but rather finding the most efficient way to nickel and dime people that already bought it, and in the process choosing NOT to spend the effort of ingame reward armor skins, in a game with the primary advancement model of collecting skins.

They’re running a casino in which the point of the game is to WIN chips, and in stead choosing to just shut down 80% of the poker tables to turn them in to chip vending machines.

The end result is that they make similar money either way, but they way they choose to make that money creates less incentive to repeatedly visit the casino. For the purposes of the game’s primary reward structure GW2 is less of a game and more of a shop at this point.

This is a problem unique to GW2, as most games it is fair to consider heavy cosmetic shops fair for the users, since the primary reward for playing is item power, rather than item cosmetics.

In GW2 the +2 to a stat you’re meant to strive for IS the cosmetic item, which they add at LEAST 4 of for every one they add to the game. It’s akin to just selling better gear in the cash shop in a more traditional MMO.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’ve always hated the concept of the “outfit” and feel that they should be completely removed from the game (and turned into armor skins).

Back in the pre-wardrobe era they kind of made sense, but now that we can transmute on the fly they should become unlimited unlock skins (i.e. you don’t need to use transmute charges to use them once you buy them from the gem store).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

ANet is just never going to be able to release enough skins to satisfy us all, especially if they dropped all outfits and weapons and backs and gliders and just worked on armor. There’s a better chance of offering something for nearly everyone if they do some of the quicker skins and some of the slower ones.

Anet released more than enough armour sets between launch and the first few gem store releases to satisfy everyone, had they all been quality skins.

The problem is that the game was designed with cosmetic progression in mind, and they intentionally released a slew of visually similar, low quality and unappealing designs – presumably to entice players to spend money on better looking skins.

I do wonder if it’s at all feasible to have a ‘visual update’ to some of the older skins, similar to what Riot does to champions in League from time to time. The overall design of most of the armours is solid, but they would definitely benefit from higher quality textures and more intricate and creative design touches.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

It would at least help if you didn’t have to spend charges on stuff you bought in the store.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I hate to say it, but I find myself not caring either way. Outfits or armor, the aesthetic in use by ANet designers is overly complicated, producing looks that are too complex, busy and ornate, not to mention a lot of the frills are downright ludicrous. Ommv.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I hate to say it, but I find myself not caring either way. Outfits or armor, the aesthetic in use by ANet designers is overly complicated, producing looks that are too complex, busy and ornate, not to mention a lot of the frills are downright ludicrous. Ommv.

Agreed.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s the mix and match requirements of armor as well as the 27-30 versions (since Asura ones tend to be unisex) for a particular armor set release that is the problem. And every time they add another set, the combinations that need at least a cursory check for gross clipping issues goes up exponentially.

An outfit can be a relatively simply full model replacement, can be tested as a single unit and simply needs to be tweaked for Charr since their animation rig is somewhat different than the other four races (plus tail issues).

Simply we got spoiled in that first year. The game shipped with a fair number of armors or armor pieces attainable in game. There were a few armor sets dropped into the gem shop in those days of “cheap” gold bought gems. But there were missteps when they shortcut Flamekissed by cribbing human cultural and the questionable boob coverage on the Zodiac set. Gem shop refunds are a CS pain.

But what really killed it off was the introduction of the wardrobe. Now if you like a set, you only needed to buy it once and 800 gems simply didn’t cover the manpower cost of creating a full set for one weight across all races. And they can’t really do one weight or one race releases because the salt that would be generated about not providing one for “my” profession or “my” race.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes