Going to be an interesting 2013..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/?utm_source=client

I’m not setting my expectations too high, but I can’t help but geek out about achievement related reward tokens. !!! What are you guys excited about?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m mostly excited about how ArenaNet wants to build on the world they already got than just adding new, and new landmasses and put all the new content there, leaving the old content to die.

That’s what I like the most.

But we already got a thread about Colin Johanson and his blogpost and video so I suggest posting in there.

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

About nothing.

That post was so full of cliché, it says absolutely nothing.

No real bullet points with this or that, just text, text, text, it’s an amazing year, text, text, we are so happy, text, text, we believe in… , text.

I expect nothing major.

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

Posted by: Aeranima.2853

Aeranima.2853

I have to agree with HERO.2057. All I read was the exact same thing. I was looking forward to a bulletlist stuffed with things they were going to do, not text text text happy text 2012 text.

Xifix | Thief

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

About nothing.

No real bullet points with this or that, just text, text, text, it’s an amazing year, text, text, we are so happy, text, text, we believe in… , text.

I expect nothing major.

Exactly, im surprised so many people are falling for this obvious PR stunt. There was no new information in this blogpost, just lots of talk.

This blogpost has just made me loose all hope in this game.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

When it says “We’ve fixed the loot DR, removed the culling and have nearly repaired all the bugs!” THEN, it will be a good 6 months ahead… Atm? It’s all blah, blah, blah!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

NetherDiver.6079

About nothing.

I expect nothing major.

Exactly, im surprised so many people are falling for this obvious PR stunt. There was no new information in this video, just lots of talk.

This blogpost has just made loose all hope in this game.

It IS a PR move, not a patch note list, but why is that a bad thing. Like I said I’m not getting my hopes up, but he did shine light on some new features we haven’t yet heard of.

“We’ll add tokens for your achievement you can turn in to select from a list of rewards, including new reward types like ascended gear and infusions. "

“To that end, we’re working on adding new types of content to the game in early 2013 that will allow guilds to go on missions together. "

I know people are skeptical, and we’re allowed to be, but… Endless Cat Tonics!

Posted by: Rainfall.4017

Rainfall.4017

Pretty terrible article. Haven’t played for a while and this doesn’t say anything to suggest the game will improve. Just blah blah blah.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Posted by: Wift.9862

Wift.9862

About nothing.

I expect nothing major.

They said that the post would be an outline for the stuff that they’re doing for the game in 2013, and that’s exactly what they accomplished with their post. Outline’s aren’t meant to be specific, but they already announced a ton of things in that post that can be considered major, like the new rewards system, guild missions, live events, etc.

Posted by: davixx.2108

davixx.2108

how many people went even over the first 2 lines of text?
i actually saw some pretty cool stuff they wanted to implement, they didn’t just say"we’re gonna do this", they also explained why and how, i find it more interesting than just a boring “to-do list”.

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

“Our reward systems need to be exciting, and include things you want to earn over time, but we don’t want to force our players on endless gear treadmills for new tiers of gear we add every 6 months. You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example.”

So as long as they wait to add new tiers, it’s not a treadmill. All this did was ensure there will be continued kittening on the forums as they left so much open to interpretation. Fans of Vertical Progression will be all like SEE ITS NOT A TREADMILL! Fans of Horizontal Progression will see this as evasive wording that hints at 2013 being the year of Ascended Item rollout, then an end of year announcement that there is an exciting NEW TIER of gear coming in 2014.

It would have been really easy to just say we don’t like treadmills, we won’t be releasing new tiers of gear. The fact that they felt the need to give themselves wiggle room on that subject makes me very unhappy.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I’m very optimistic about this. I’m seeing that our current exotics will either be maintained or they could be upgraded (through mystic forge) to become ascended items. “Our goals for the New Year are to build on the areas of the game that were successful in 2012, to learn and apply lessons from things that didn’t work as well,”

The usage of/return to the open world concept was a suggestion from the community. glad they listened.

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

Considering they actually did give concrete examples of what they intend to add, would you feel better if I formatted it into bullet points for you?

• The concept behind this is to allow players to earn new rewards for achievements, as well as progressing down achievement paths that take advantage of the open world experience. We’ll add tokens for your achievement you can turn in to select from a list of rewards, including new reward types like ascended gear and infusions.
  • We’ll add support so daily achievements will be different each day of the week, which will help drive players to different areas of the world and play together. Later, we’ll also be adding a system that lets you complete a subgroup of achievements to fulfill your daily. For example, if there are 6 daily achievements available, you’ll only need to do 4 of the 6. So you can choose the achievements that you’re most interested in.
  • We’ll continue to offer cosmetic rewards such as titles, medals (map complete), unique skins, etc. which will remain prizes earned for completing specific parts of the game.
  • You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example.
  • To that end, we’re working on adding new types of content to the game in early 2013 that will allow guilds to go on missions together. Some of these missions may be content designed specifically for the guild to accomplish within certain constraints or time requirements while others see the creation of new content by a guild/s everyone in the world can experience.
  • Firstly, we’ll be adding paid server transfers, with time limitations and WvW restrictions, and guestingability, which allows players to visit friends on other servers in every part of the game except for WvW.
  • Second, we’ll make improvements to culling. We recently ran small tests on Live to help us move towards eliminating as much culling from WvW as possible. The results have been promising, and we have a number of additional culling features in development. If all goes well, our hope is 2013 is the year culling ceases to exist, or is as minimal as possible in the WvW experience.
  • We’ll introduce a system of prestige and advancement specifically designed for WvW. This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses, and with them gain prestige and visible titles/recognition
  • We’ll be adding systems that make it easier for players who are less competitive to get matched only against people with similar skill sets, and stronger methods for players learning PvP to do so in a safe and fun environment with more information to help their skills grow.
  • things like being able to watch other competitors and see major ranked matches to learn how to play better, the ability to host your own custom arenas to setup your own rules and host your own team practices, and visible places for everyone to see rankings of the best teams/players in the world.

And then, of course, the section at the bottom where they litterally do have bulletpoints:

Examples of some of the major areas we’re working on in the first half of 2013 include:

• Leaderboards on our website where you can compare your abilities with other players to find out who is the best in the world.
    * Expanded and re-designed encounters for bosses in dungeons and the open world.
    * New types of achievements which tie into the new systems of achievement rewards.
    * Continuing to improve the security of the game fighting botters and hackers, as well as improving the games stability by addressing bugs as quickly as possible when they are reported.
    * Identifying existing parts of the game that can be improved and made more fun/exciting, and investing the time to ensure everything we’ve built really shines as we move forward.
    * Improving the new player experience, to make it easier for new players to learn how to play GW2, enter the game world, and more quickly learn the game without being overwhelmed.
    * Improving the “looking for group” tool to make it easier to find other players to play with in the game.
    * The improvements and fixes to the fractal dungeons, detailed in Isaiah Cartwright’s blog post here:

Just requires reading past the first two headers

NetherDiver.6079

“Our reward systems need to be exciting, and include things you want to earn over time, but we don’t want to force our players on endless gear treadmills for new tiers of gear we add every 6 months. You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example.”

So as long as they wait to add new tiers, it’s not a treadmill. All this did was ensure there will be continued kittening on the forums as they left so much open to interpretation. Fans of Vertical Progression will be all like SEE ITS NOT A TREADMILL! Fans of Horizontal Progression will see this as evasive wording that hints at 2013 being the year of Ascended Item rollout, then an end of year announcement that there is an exciting NEW TIER of gear coming in 2014.

It would have been really easy to just say we don’t like treadmills, we won’t be releasing new tiers of gear. The fact that they felt the need to give themselves wiggle room on that subject makes me very unhappy.

They have stated that they embrace both vertical and horizontal progression, with talks about ascended gear, upgrades, and a level cap increase. This will kitten people from both sides, I’m sure, but as long as the gear gating isn’t severe I’m all for it.

I’m sort of happy about the way Ascended is being handled now (excluding WvW). You’re not locked out from anything, but if you choose to delve deeper into fractals for more progression, it’s there.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Well with the first text he states that they don’t want players to work against each other and only help each other. From this I take that instance based GvG will not be a feature in GW2. Only guild dungeons. Hope guild level pvp will be a feature, but I won’t hold my breath.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

There is already a dedicated sticky here : Colin Johanson Video: GW2 2013 Preview

Therefore this one is now closed to avoid duplicates.

Thank you for you understanding.