Gold Transfer Changes - My story and impact

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

Good day everyone,

First of all if you don’t really wanna go into a read, you can pretty much skip the entire post and go back to browsing other topics, as I’m gonna be talking about myself.

I discovered about the gold transfer changes as they were announced yesterday, when a guildie copy-pasted Gaile’s post in guild chat. At first I was like meh, sounds like an April fool’s, but then again why would they go on that topic, they could have just announced guild capes :>

Then, as I read the topic and people’s answers, the first thing that surprised me was the amount of people that think 500g is an enormous amount of gold. I’m very spoiled as I’m a PvE player (dungeon runner) and I also play the TP when my boredom reaches the next level, but yeah to me 500g is what everyone makes on a weekly basis.

Let’s recapitulate the changes :
- can’t receive more than 500g from mails/withdraw more than 500g from guild bank on a weekly timer,
- this limit appears to be shared.

Now Chris Cleary, someone I really respect for being direct about data and doing his job kitten right gave the following figures regarding impacted players (the ones moving more than 500g/week via mail) : 0.175% out of which 98.228% would be gold sellers. Please note that this figure is extended on a month and more people could hit the weekly limit once in a month then not hitting it the rest of the month.

That is actually my case, and here is a sum up of my weekly activities so you guys can see where i’m coming from :
- I sell legendaries that I make with friends/viewers of my stream,
- I loan gold to friends/guildies over a 48hours window (generally),
- I sell dungeons sometimes when craving for solo/duo action and wanting to make it worthwhile for my partner and I.
And here is some other stuff I’ve done that would also trigger the limit :
- Organizing birthday presents (usually in the 1K gold range),
- Trading precursors (with guildies/friends).

Now, while this new limit is created to fight gold sellers, it could impact me and impact YOU as well. 500g is NOTHING in comparison to the amount of gold you can make in a week. 500g is nothing in comparison to the value of items that get heavily mail traded (legendaries, precursors, expensive skins, …).

Over the last 30 days (the month time considered by ANet), here is a breakdown of my major mail actions :
- Bought The Moot from a viewer for 1550 something gold,
- Sold this Moot to a guildie for 1600g (yes I profit on my guildies, I’m evil),
- Sold Meteorlogicus to a guildie for 2300g (lost some coin, no kittens given).

Now accounting for for the new limits, the guy I bought the leggie from would have needed to receive 4 mails and waited 4 weeks to get the gold, hoping he doesn’t receive other mails with gold (in which case his mailbox gets cluttered and game is unplayable). Then for me it would take 9 mails of 500g or less to get my gold SENT to me, and TWO MONTHS to get it in my wallet. Brilliant right ? I’m a streamer and a member of a community guild that teaches dungeons and I take pride in the fact that I’ll answer each and every mail sent to me. With an uptime of 6 hours playing the game a day, that means what ? If during the 18 hours I’m not here I get 2 mails, then no more mails. Just stuck. For 2 months I can’t sell dungeons, can’t receive any other gold, not even presents people could want to make. Just nothing.

I see only 4 outcomes with that new system on players like myself, as I won’t do like some others and pull the “gonna uninstall you won’t get a kitten cent from me” card :
- I deal with it like a man and grow a longer beard to compensate for the hole in my heart,
- This was all an April’s fools and we’re getting hardcore trolled (would be GG ANet but highly unlikely),
- ANet decides to increase the amount of mails you can receive over the 10 limit. Would take some management and goign through a long list but whutevs, a bit more work on my end to get rid of gold sellers is a sacrifice i’m fine with making,
- ANet introduces a player to player trading system. I’m not really believing this would ever happen as they like the gold sink on the TP. This option would be kitten cool doe.

Now if you’ve read through this all you either hate me for being middle class (I ain"t that rich), or you are starting to feel concerned about this issue.

Thanks for reading, enjoy your day o7

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Anet already mentioned several times that even though its not illegal to mail trade, they dont support it.

So why should they put in a supportive system for mail traders?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Enaretos.8079

Hey Wanze,

I was more thinking of a proper trading system. It would only change the listings on very pricy items in my opinion.

The thing is that the mail changes are also hindering for other stuff than trading. I emphasized it as it’s indeed my main concern but I also mentioned loans, giveaways, birthday presents, events, etc…

The trading system idea is more of a solution to the mail limit. I think not many people would actually do many transactions with it. Even if you want to trade a legendary outside of the TP, you’d still need to search for a buyer, and it’s less of a hassle to list stuff.

My Twitch

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

If you can trade more than 500g in a week, what would be the purpose of limiting mailed gold to 500g a week in the first place?

The targeted parties(hacking gold sellers) would just trade off all the gold making the change to mailed gold moot.

Posted by: BarnabeJonez.6023

BarnabeJonez.6023

While I appreciate the options a p2p trading system would give in theory, I do not want it. I think it would result in a major rise in map spam in the form of “WTB/WTS X thing” cutting down on player interaction outside buying and selling things.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

If you can trade more than 500g in a week, what would be the purpose of limiting mailed gold to 500g a week in the first place?

The targeted parties(hacking gold sellers) would just trade off all the gold making the change to mailed gold moot.

At the very minimum, moving from ‘selling gold’ to ‘selling a random selection of objects based on their TP value’ severely complicates the gold sellers’ operations.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

to me 500g is what everyone makes on a weekly basis.

….What? I’m sorry, but what do you do? If I no-life on the game (which includes heavy dungeon running and PVE playing), I max out at around 70G a week.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

And here I am, raiding with the guild almost every day, happy to make 20g a week (or maybe even 30g if I find a couple of exotics!). To consistently earn 500g a week you’d probably have to belong with the top 0.01% players and yeah, I can see how you are affected by the gold change. Not much to do, sucks to be you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol. I feel good to be making ~100G a month. I don’t understand how players are making 500G/month from farming/dungeon runs/whatever unless it is playing the Trading Post.

Gratz, though. Sorry to hear it will affect you so much.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

At the very minimum, moving from ‘selling gold’ to ‘selling a random selection of objects based on their TP value’ severely complicates the gold sellers’ operations.

Sellers wouldn’t suddenly not have the option to sell gold only mind you. They can still trade more than 500g+ a week ingame if you facilitate it through p2p trading.

I was talking about why would you limit an activity(sending gold) and introduce something else to facilitate it again(trading) effectively making your first change useless.

Mirta.5029

Lol. I feel good to be making ~100G a month. I don’t understand how players are making 500G/month from farming/dungeon runs/whatever unless it is playing the Trading Post.

Gratz, though. Sorry to hear it will affect you so much.

even better… This guy apparently makes 500G a week and calls himself middle class o.o

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yeah…I meant 500G/week…duh! Thanks for bring the typo to my attention! =)

Posted by: Candyroxi.6473

Candyroxi.6473

Hey Wanze,

I was more thinking of a proper trading system. It would only change the listings on very pricy items in my opinion.

The thing is that the mail changes are also hindering for other stuff than trading. I emphasized it as it’s indeed my main concern but I also mentioned loans, giveaways, birthday presents, events, etc…

The trading system idea is more of a solution to the mail limit. I think not many people would actually do many transactions with it. Even if you want to trade a legendary outside of the TP, you’d still need to search for a buyer, and it’s less of a hassle to list stuff.

I think Trading Post is set as a standard and everyone is using it, why not just follow? I am one of the legendary sellers too and I sell my stuff on TP. The fee is high because it supposed to be high!! Or else the game will have too much gold and stuff will devalue itself even more.
Their point on trades outside TP is made very clear, says the LFG advertisement is a bannable offense. I myself received 1000g from a friend and was banned forever – took me a lot of tickets to get my acc back, so idk how could you send so much gold over the mail, though.
And please dont suggest nerfing the limit current limit is way too low already. You cant send over 2 mail repeatedly :/

Enaretos.8079

Well then based on what you guys wrote and what I gathered from the main red post topic, it’s either :
- increase mail limit so I can keep receiving stuff,
- drop the trading to player idea, as it circumvents mail limit. Event though it would mean gold sellers would have to “meet the buyer in person”, which would create more risk for them I guess ? Or add a way to secure accounts. Someone on main topic wrote we should authorize accounts that went through all protection steps to send more and that does make sense.

To Candyroxi, I don’t understand how you can get banned over a 1000g mail >.< I sent and received tens of thousands and I’m fine :s

Barnabe you do make sense with the ads in mapchat, that would suck xD

As for the people talking about gold, reddit gave figures of 80g/day jsut with a dungeon tour. Do that for a week and bam 600g. Also TP and selling.
I called myself middle class because that’s how it is. I know people in the hundred thousands gold so I feel middle class.

My Twitch

Olvendred.3027

As for the people talking about gold, reddit gave figures of 80g/day jsut with a dungeon tour. Do that for a week and bam 600g. Also TP and selling.
I called myself middle class because that’s how it is. I know people in the hundred thousands gold so I feel middle class.

That’s like calling a multimillionaire middle class, compared to the Forbes Rich List.

And yeah. Bam. 600g as easy as that…

How many players do you think do that?

Enaretos.8079

As for the people talking about gold, reddit gave figures of 80g/day just with a dungeon tour. Do that for a week and bam 600g. Also TP and selling.

That’s like calling a multimillionaire middle class, compared to the Forbes Rich List.

Even when I ask in LA, there are a dozen peeps richer than me so idk what to think anymore :/

Actually a lot of people do dungeons as it’s always good coin. Which is why there is these speedrunners wannabes that ask for high AP, etc… Everything in this game has a reason for its existence and most of the time it goes back to gold farming (to buy the shinies)

My Twitch

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Wait. Someone who freely admits he’s in the upper .175% of income in the game is upset because the system isn’t tailored to his needs.

As a side effect, they want a system that’s guaranteed to increase in-game scamming, and be a RMT haven. Because it would be easier for him to avoid the TP tax.

No.

Enaretos.8079

Wait. Someone who freely admits he’s in the upper .175% of income in the game is upset because the system isn’t tailored to his needs.

As a side effect, they want a system that’s guaranteed to increase in-game scamming, and be a RMT haven. Because it would be easier for him to avoid the TP tax.

No.

Yep I do freely admit it as anyone can get there with a lil bit of motivation.

I want a system that can actually prevent me from being impaired by something that is introduced when everything was working fine. Because I enjoy player to player trading and nothing bad can come from it. Less scamming actually.

Yes.

My Twitch

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

You’re posting in general sub Sam, this is laughable, just let it go as I did, we’ll be trading ectos.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Sorry, but no. Notwithstanding the justifications you’ve offered, it still seems like you’re asking for a way for very wealthy players (the 0.175%, which is actually far smaller than the much-maligned “1%” of real-world politics) to get around the TP tax while the vast majority of less wealthy players have to deal with it. Not to mention that you blithely disregard the simple fact that ANet does NOT support mail trading, does NOT want it to take place even if they don’t actively block it, and has established the TP as the official avenue through which all trading should take place, precisely to avoid all the abuses to which the GW1 system, which was based on mail trading, was subject to.

No. I don’t want to return to “Spamadan”.

stale.9785

If you use the TP there is zero scamming. What you’re doing, with direct through-the-mail trades increases in game inflation, making everyone poorer, directly. It is unsupported because of that.

To get a direct trade system in place without the fees accomplishes nothing but increasing inflation, and due to it being player-to-player trading, allows for a myriad of scams.

Suck it up. Use the TP as intended. Really, there is no other answer for your problem.

That’ll be Anet’s response as well, guaranteed.

Enaretos.8079

Joe, they are putting a restriction on something we could do that was non exploitative.

You drew a parallel to real life and so will I. Imagine that tomorrow your bank tells you : “Sir, we reduced your withdrawal capabilities to 500 dollars a week”. When it used to be infinite. Because after all you payed for infinite didn’t you ?

Then what ? Just accept it because “it’s to avoid credit card fraud man” ?

Maybe you’re fine with this but I’m not. Mail trading was fine as it was imo. The risk to be scammed covered for the 15% TP fee, more or less. Now that they take something away from us, it would be justice to have something else given to us. And not the “preventing gold selling” thing.

And @Miku man ikr, it’s like everyone here has 10g and since it doesn’t change anything for them they want it…

My Twitch

Enaretos.8079

If you use the TP there is zero scamming. What you’re doing, with direct through-the-mail trades increases in game inflation, making everyone poorer, directly. It is unsupported because of that.

To get a direct trade system in place without the fees accomplishes nothing but increasing inflation, and due to it being player-to-player trading, allows for a myriad of scams.

Suck it up. Use the TP as intended. Really, there is no other answer for your problem.

That’ll be Anet’s response as well, guaranteed.

Mate making gold is so easy that inflation will permanently be here. Heck, when massive gold sinks were introduced it reduced nothing of the “inflation” you speak of, which is non existant. The only thing that reduces prices are official announcements.

My Twitch

stale.9785

Honestly – it’s like shouting down a well. Every transaction on the TP removes 15% of the gold. It’s gone. That’s a control on inflation, right there. Circumventing the TP ought to be the sort of thing that gets a perma-ban, because it’s, get this, bad for everyone who isn’t the person doing it.

This isn’t a hard thing to wrap one’s head around.

Asking for special treatment, because you personally trade heavily in a way that has never been supported by the devs? In a way that is actually harmful to everyone else who plays? That goes so far beyond self centred that I’m not even mad – it’s impressive.

In real world terms, you’re Bill Gates/Warren Buffet asking to be exempt from the idea of taxation, because it’s inconvenient.

Enaretos.8079

Honestly – it’s like shouting down a well. Every transaction on the TP removes 15% of the gold. It’s gone. That’s a control on inflation, right there. Circumventing the TP ought to be the sort of thing that gets a perma-ban, because it’s, get this, bad for everyone who isn’t the person doing it.

Asking for special treatment, because you personally trade heavily in a way that has never been supported by the devs? In a way that is actually harmful to everyone else who plays? That goes so far beyond self centred that I’m not even mad – it’s impressive.

In real world terms, you’re Bill Gates/Warren Buffet asking to be exempt from the idea of taxation, because it’s inconvenient.

Think again man, the figures the dev was talking about is 0.175% of the playerbase. Then remove the loaners. The goldsellers. People circumventing the TP have 0 effect on inflation. Now that we set this straight, I’m not even complaining because it affects a business I’m quitting, but because it’s jsut something we lose. As simple as that. No more birthday presents for my friends, weekly guild raffles and stuff.

Thanks for your input though :/

My Twitch

Wanze.8410

Think again man, the figures the dev was talking about is 0.175% of the playerbase. Then remove the loaners. The goldsellers. People circumventing the TP have 0 effect on inflation. Now that we set this straight, I’m not even complaining because it affects a business I’m quitting, but because it’s jsut something we lose. As simple as that. No more birthday presents for my friends, weekly guild raffles and stuff.

You can still gift stuff from the gem store for presents and raffles and you can still buy expensive stuff from the tp to give to your friends.

Not sure how much of the gold that is being sent to you/picked up by you from the guild bank is directed to those gifts but i think 26k gold per year is plenty.

Olvendred.3027

No more birthday presents for my friends, weekly guild raffles and stuff.

Those things should be fine. The payments might take some time to clear, depending on their size, but there’s no reason why you can’t send them.

Enaretos.8079

You can still gift stuff from the gem store for presents and raffles and you can still buy expensive stuff from the tp to give to your friends.

Not sure how much of the gold that is being sent to you/picked up by you from the guild bank is directed to those gifts but i think 26k gold per year is plenty.

Yep, that just removes something I could do since the beginning of the game. Because we enjoy seeing our liberties restricted, right ?

Also the 26K/year is cute, I probably don’t even reach that, as I’m more at 20K/year in and out. Problem is I don’t evenly do it over a year. One month I’ll trade 10K via mail then for 4 months it’ll be TP only. See my point ? The restriction on the account sucks. If there was a way to authenticate as a legit person or whatever it’d be better.

My Twitch

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

LOL! 500g!… weekly basis…. hahaha.. haha.. ha..ha… (Cries) and here I am struggling to make 10g a day teach me

Wanze.8410

Yep, that just removes something I could do since the beginning of the game. Because we enjoy seeing our liberties restricted, right ?

Also the 26K/year is cute, I probably don’t even reach that, as I’m more at 20K/year in and out. Problem is I don’t evenly do it over a year. One month I’ll trade 10K via mail then for 4 months it’ll be TP only. See my point ? The restriction on the account sucks. If there was a way to authenticate as a legit person or whatever it’d be better.

There will never be a change that satisfies 100% of the player base. Even in your case, I see it as a minor inconvenience. I think the positive changes that will result from this (more income for anet to put into the game instead of giving it to RMTs, less inflation) vastly outweigh the negative ones for legitimate players, even for you.

Especially from the curb of inflation, you will profit a great deal, as all your gold will be worth more.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Over the last 30 days (the month time considered by ANet), here is a breakdown of my major mail actions :
- Bought The Moot from a viewer for 1550 something gold,
- Sold this Moot to a guildie for 1600g (yes I profit on my guildies, I’m evil),
- Sold Meteorlogicus to a guildie for 2300g (lost some coin, no kittens given).

So all you did was avoid the TP trading fees and buy/sell expensive items. I don’t see any reason for the 500g to be lifted. 500g for the normal people who are not bypassing TP fees to trade in legendaries is more than enough.

One more reason for them to add the 500g is to disallow people like you from trading legendary weapons while bypassing TP fees. The 500g should stay, and aside from legendary mail traders and gold sellers nobody else will be impacted.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I won’t be affected by the gold trading limits, I do think that this restriction might not be as effective as ANet would like. Gold sellers will probably just start trading in Ectos or another form of commodity rather than gold. It worked back in GW1; no reason it couldn’t work here again. When you’re dealing with large volumes of currency, players do tend to be more blase about losing out on a few 10’s of gold here and there.

All the same, I don’t think you’re going to have any success, Enaretos. As you yourself said, you’re in the very tiny minority of GW2 players who will be impacted by this decision. It just isn’t worthwhile for ANet to create an exception for so small a group of affected players, any more than they created exceptions for people who didn’t like the account wallet or the shared dyes. Plus, you’re clearly not getting a lot of sympathy from the common player. (Maybe if you gave out donations of 100 gold to everybody here, they’d feel differently. XD)

Enaretos.8079

There will never be a change that satisfies 100% of the player base. Even in your case, I see it as a minor inconvenience. I think the positive changes that will result from this (more income for anet to put into the game instead of giving it to RMTs, less inflation) vastly outweigh the negative ones for legitimate players, even for you.

Especially from the curb of inflation, you will profit a great deal, as all your gold will be worth more.

Yep I know nothing can satisfy 100% of the playerbase. It mostly saddens me that ANet acts in a way that always restricts the players that have been here since launch, with their habits and everything. I don’t really care about the gold tbh. It’s a game, it’s just pixels. I’m making gold because that has become a habit.

But Wanze, even if this gives ANet more income, it won’t really matter if they don’t put out more content. I’m praying for HoT to be amazing but like a good chunk of the people frequenting the forums, ANet has been acting weirdly and removing stuff as they add some. I just dont understand.

Also about the gold being worth more I don’t really know. Gold selling didn’t strike me as being that used. I maybe know 2 persons that did it over the thousands that I played/play with.

My Twitch

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

As for the people talking about gold, reddit gave figures of 80g/day just with a dungeon tour. Do that for a week and bam 600g. Also TP and selling.

Even when I ask in LA, there are a dozen peeps richer than me so idk what to think anymore :/

Actually a lot of people do dungeons as it’s always good coin. Which is why there is these speedrunners wannabes that ask for high AP, etc… Everything in this game has a reason for its existence and most of the time it goes back to gold farming (to buy the shinies)

Yeah… a few dozen out of hundreds of thousands of players.

Look, its real simple, there is always going to be someone thats worse than you. But it doesnt matter because at some point the new limitation will impact someone. You happened to be at that point. The vast majority isnt even remotely close. You just have to look at the AH to realize that. If 500g a week was average income, precursors would cost probably in the range of 20,000-80,000 gold.

So again. Sucks to be you, but thats how it is.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Poor one percent. But don’t worry, as soon as Anet realizes how much gem sales they miss out on by driving you out they will quickly…

Oh.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

It’s very likely that the great amount of income that comes from selling precursors will drop a great deal with the changes to crafting.
Seems a lot more sane for people to want to progress and craft them themselves, rather then farm gold for hours on end to buy one.

To be quite frank if you make a great amount of gold, then paying the TP fee shouldn’t be an issue in the first place. You still have more then you can get rid of for materials and skins.

All it does is limit how quick you can move your gold and once you traded 500g, the rest will have to be via the TP. It takes a bit more of planing that’s all.
It will by no means limit your game-play or make any items unobtainable. It’s an inconvenience, that’s all.

(edited by Ditrah.5128)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1st world issues I guess?

Dear gods I wish I had 500g to my name….let alone enough to be impacted by this issue.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Player to player buying/selling is not supported by Anet, so I don’t have a problem with that being negatively impacted. I do however agree that guild events could be negatively impacted (lotteries/raffles). But Guilds will have to work around this by giving away items as opposed to actual gold or holding those lotteries/raffles less often.
I’m sure we’ll all adapt.

As far as 500g being “nothing”…I have to disagree with you. I have never had 500g and probably will never have 500g as I don’t play the game as efficiently as you. I have never run dungeons and I don’t play the TP, so I am among the “working poor” who feel that 500g is enormous. :-)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As far as 500g being “nothing”…I have to disagree with you. I have never had 500g and probably will never have 500g as I don’t play the game as efficiently as you. I have never run dungeons and I don’t play the TP, so I am among the “working poor” who feel that 500g is enormous. :-)

Even efficient Dungeon runners don’t make 500g per week, even if you run all of them each day. Unless you sell paths at insane prices (and have enough idiots to buy them)
Playing the TP is one way, but that’s hardly “playing the game”. The other way is trading (with mail) Legendary weapons, which apparently is what the OP is doing and avoids the TP taxes. If he didn’t try to play around the system he wouldn’t have any kind of problem with the limit, and “normal” players won’t have a problem with the cap either.

joe.7684

No more birthday presents? No more guild raffles?

Now that’s just purely ridiculous. As pointed out elsewhere, the restriction is only on receiving – not selling. You can keep right on sending birthday presents to your friends and you can keep right on having guild raffles. You’ll just have to change your procedures to take the new receiving limit into account. (And as for birthday presents, by the way, you can always just buy a big-ticket item on the TP and send it to your friend as their birthday present, because there’s no limit on the value of actual items you can send through the mail system. I daresay they’d appreciate it as much as or even more than the gold.)

Mirta.5029

at some points in the game’s life, I might be richer than you. Built a legendary, going for the second. However my income a week is pathetic. I just get really patient with hoarding when I have to.

joe.7684

Joe, they are putting a restriction on something we could do that was non exploitative.

You drew a parallel to real life and so will I. Imagine that tomorrow your bank tells you : “Sir, we reduced your withdrawal capabilities to 500 dollars a week”. When it used to be infinite. Because after all you payed for infinite didn’t you ?

Then what ? Just accept it because “it’s to avoid credit card fraud man” ?

Maybe you’re fine with this but I’m not. Mail trading was fine as it was imo. The risk to be scammed covered for the 15% TP fee, more or less. Now that they take something away from us, it would be justice to have something else given to us. And not the “preventing gold selling” thing.

And @Miku man ikr, it’s like everyone here has 10g and since it doesn’t change anything for them they want it…

I was away at the DMV getting my registration renewed, but I wanted to come back to one point you tried to make:

“You drew a parallel to real life and so will I. Imagine that tomorrow your bank tells you : “Sir, we reduced your withdrawal capabilities to 500 dollars a week”. When it used to be infinite. Because after all you payed for infinite didn’t you ?"

That’s not quite as good a parallel as you think it is. Because why? Because ATM’s – the way that most people get their money from their bank accounts in the ordinary course of business these days, unless they have some special need that requires them to see a teller – do put restrictions on how much money you can withdraw in any one transaction. For my own bank, for example, I think it’s something like $300. And if you were to try to get around that restriction by withdrawing multiples of $300 over and over again, I daresay most banks would find that at least a little odd, if not outright suspicious.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Just dropping by to say that trading legendaries doesn’t create inflation, no gold is created in the process.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Making 500g a week still puts you in the “1%” that is the GW2 upper class. Yes, you probably do know a good few people who make even more gold than you. But I’m fairly certain that people who make that much gold (and more) on a regular basis are the minority in the game.

Enaretos.8079

Just gonna stop all the people aiming at the legendary selling that profits “only me” => it’s also cheaper for the buyer.

I realize a lot of people are jsut salty because they feel poor. That’s sad. I always tried to help people and gave great tips but whatever, all you can see is the fact that I complain legitimately about my gold not moving as fast as before, but as always, if it doesn’t affect YOU, you don’t care.

I just hope that less precursors being traded cheap will make people want to list higher to recoup for listing costs. Now that was me being salty

Thread is pretty much over. None of you brought any arguments in, you’re basically coming to say you’re happy that it’s happening when it benefits none of ya.

My Twitch

joe.7684

In the end, I’d also say that the people who are blaming ANet for this change are blaming the wrong party for having one of their “freedoms” taken away. Instead, they should be condemning the gold sellers and RMT’s for abusing the feature in question so outrageously that ANet was forced – after two and a half years – to take this step. I do wonder why the people who persist in complaining about the change keep gliding over the fact that it’s aimed not at legitimate players – not even the wealthiest fraction – but at scammers and violators of the game’s TOS.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Just gonna stop all the people aiming at the legendary selling that profits “only me” => it’s also cheaper for the buyer.

I realize a lot of people are jsut salty because they feel poor. That’s sad. I always tried to help people and gave great tips but whatever, all you can see is the fact that I complain legitimately about my gold not moving as fast as before, but as always, if it doesn’t affect YOU, you don’t care.

I just hope that less precursors being traded cheap will make people want to list higher to recoup for listing costs. Now that was me being salty

Thread is pretty much over. None of you brought any arguments in, you’re basically coming to say you’re happy that it’s happening when it benefits none of ya.

Short term yes, you and the other person save/gain money. Everyone else loses in this transaction since no money gets drained from the economy. So no, not everyone benefits from this move.

This has nothing to do with some people being slaty or less wealthy (aside from this making you completely sound like an arrogant Pr***k). All you do is complain about your gold not moving as fast via a system whih is not designed around having this much gold moved and is specifically not supported by Anet. The loophole has now been closed. Be happy you were able to abuse it as long as it was ingame.

The only legitimate reasoning you brought to the table was guild raffles, gifting, events. But the final posts in this topic have shown that you are merely salty about losing out on a way to cheat the market.

joe.7684

I’m not “salty”, whatever the heck that means, and I find it exasperating that you keep deliberately ignoring that the change DOES benefit the entire player community by making it harder for gold sellers and RMT’s to carry on their scams. I’m probably “poor” by your standards – I currently have less than 500g in “cash” in my bank – and I’m working on both a legendary weapon and ascended light armor – the most expensive such armor to craft, as I’m sure you know – for my mesmer. But I don’t get “salty” about it. I work with the situation I have, and in fact, I’m done with collecting mats for my legendary (I only need 242 more dungeon tokens and I’m there) and I’m expecting to put together my ascended armor next week. And I’m doing both things without having to toss around huge amounts of gold.

So yeah. I think it all comes down to sour grapes because you can no longer toss around insanely huge amounts of gold.

joe.7684

While I won’t be affected by the gold trading limits, I do think that this restriction might not be as effective as ANet would like. Gold sellers will probably just start trading in Ectos or another form of commodity rather than gold. It worked back in GW1; no reason it couldn’t work here again. When you’re dealing with large volumes of currency, players do tend to be more blase about losing out on a few 10’s of gold here and there.

All the same, I don’t think you’re going to have any success, Enaretos. As you yourself said, you’re in the very tiny minority of GW2 players who will be impacted by this decision. It just isn’t worthwhile for ANet to create an exception for so small a group of affected players, any more than they created exceptions for people who didn’t like the account wallet or the shared dyes. Plus, you’re clearly not getting a lot of sympathy from the common player. (Maybe if you gave out donations of 100 gold to everybody here, they’d feel differently. XD)

For the record, I also think ectos will make a comeback as high-value currency (as I noted in a previous post). Truthfully, I don’t especially mind. I remember how it worked – and pretty well, all things considered, too – in GW1, and I occasionally made use of ectos as currency in that game too. In fact, ectos are actually easier to get in GW2, providing you’re willing to salvage rares. (I suspect some people would prefer to use dark matter globs since those are a lot rarer, but they’re account-bound, so that’s out.)

Wanze.8410

Just dropping by to say that trading legendaries doesn’t create inflation, no gold is created in the process.

But it avoids deflation of gold by circumventing the intended gold sink of the trading post, if traded by mail.