Gold Transfer Changes

Gold Transfer Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

As usual, Anet. Good on Paper: Bad in Practice.

Withdraw 500G on Sunday, 500G on Monday and you’re ready for every precursor. Yes, you have to wait a day. I know, that’s hard, because you could be dead the other day (as you said), but I guess you have bigger problems if that would be the case.

He could do that in a minute for 2 years and now he needs to wait a day because reasons.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

Because reasons? The reasons are pretty clear and outnumbering all “problems” that may occur because of this change.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Because reasons? The reasons are pretty clear and outnumbering all “problems” that may occur because of this change.

Pretty much.
Although it would appear that the 31 people this will effect are all here in the forums complaining about this.
:P

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Any increase in account protections means trading off convenience for security. The most secure vault is difficult to access; the least secure is stored in your convertible, on the driver’s seat.

Cleary’s data suggests that only a few thousand players transfer 500 gold or more per week via email. It also suggests that many more are involved in buying black market gold or selling off assets from stolen accounts. This change, therefore, should protect many more people than it inconveniences. We should all be happy about that aspect.

There are two issues with the solution that are not covered by Cleary’s post:

• How many people withdraw 500g or more from guild banks in a week? I suspect the fraction is much larger than stated, if only because I know lots of people that add/subtract a few 100g every few days; I know very few who have 500g at any given time.
  • How about guild leaders managing lotteries, donations to guilds moving from other servers, or otherwise pooling guild assets?

The first issue has a work-around: store assets as buy offers on the TP. It’s less convenient, but just as effective.

The second issue has no current work-around, but could be addressed by adding a guild improvement that allows members with certain rank permissions to withdraw e.g. 1,000 or 10,000 gold per week. If the upgrades cost required guild merits, RMTs and account thieves would be unable to bypass the restrictions, but well-established guilds would be able to manage pooled resources.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Pretty much.
Although it would appear that the 31 people this will effect are all here in the forums complaining about this.
:P

Well, to be fair, some of us in this thread have other issues that arent related to this! xD we are just posting here for some stupid reason!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Any increase in account protections means trading off convenience for security. The most secure vault is difficult to access; the least secure is stored in your convertible, on the driver’s seat.

Cleary’s data suggests that only a few thousand players transfer 500 gold or more per week via email. It also suggests that many more are involved in buying black market gold or selling off assets from stolen accounts. This change, therefore, should protect many more people than it inconveniences. We should all be happy about that aspect.

• How many people withdraw 500g or more from guild banks in a week? I suspect the fraction is much larger than stated, if only because I know lots of people that add/subtract a few 100g every few days; I know very few who have 500g at any given time.
  • How about guild leaders managing lotteries, donations to guilds moving from other servers, or otherwise pooling guild assets?

The first issue has a work-around: store assets as buy offers on the TP. It’s less convenient, but just as effective.

The second issue has no current work-around, but could be addressed by adding a guild improvement that allows members with certain rank permissions to withdraw e.g. 1,000 or 10,000 gold per week. If the upgrades cost required guild merits, RMTs and account thieves would be unable to bypass the restrictions, but well-established guilds would be able to manage pooled resources.

In the OP, Gaile also said that they would look at the numbers and adjusts as needed. So maybe the 500g limit per account per week would effect large raffle guilds, but than number can be adjusted while maintaining the reasons behind doing this. That way a hacked account can’t just clean out a guild bank and send it to an another account. Sure the other account will have to wait awhile to get what they stole, but that also greatly increases the chances of them getting caught. So it might not be worth it anymore.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

I’m quite jealous for your guilds if you’re regularily handling those large sums for single players…

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

2 suggestions:
1) have a default weekly limit of around 100g. then allow each player to adjust their own limit. when adjusted, it takes like 2 weeks to take affect. So the few people who would be affected by this 500g cap aren’t, and accept that they could lose x amount if hacked.
2) allow players unlimited gold sending to people who have been on their friend list (or same guild) for longer than 2 weeks.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Anet need to keep eye on large items mailed like ecto’s as they can be used for blackmarket gold selling as they are super easy to sell but this is a great steep to counter the hackers/gold sellers.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I think this will lead just to the poin,t that people will start again ,that once the money limit of 500G is reached, that anx item they want to buy from someone else and do it via ingame mail, that people will send money together with items like Globs of Ectoplasm as secondary currency to pay people.

What stops people to send 500 + plus several stacks of globs of ectoplasm for example to pay that way someone else for their precursor, thats currently worth more than 500G???

Howeve,r Im personalyl not ever affected by this change and anything that makes the daily business of hackers/gold seller ect. much harder, do I find good and just will improve the game in overall and makes it a better game.

That there are naturalyl large guilds also, which will be negatively affected by it, beause of getting their money trades slowed down, is absolutely natural, but imo should stand back for making GW2 a much lesser interesting fest for hackers and gold sellers in the first line

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

What stops people to send 500 + plus several stacks of globs of ectoplasm for example to pay that way someone else for their precursor, thats currently worth more than 500G???

hehe, I think we found our go-to currency! I’m just remembering all the Diablo 2 days where you would buy expensive things with soj (Stone of Jordan rings).

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: joeyw.9531

joeyw.9531

Hey everyone,

I am representing Gw2Shop fansite. We are a French Guild Wars website created in 2006, used as a sell & buy platform for players in Guild Wars.
We followed the release of Guild Wars 2 by opening a new forum. We offer to our community your news, our tutorials for the game and a trade service.

This trade service is today destroyed with this new rule, and maybe a part of our website, of our activity, of our community is killed too.
Our goal was to help Guild Wars 2 players to find buyer or seller and to linked both using game mails with a member of our staff to exchange goods and money. This service was really known in the French community.

Chris, you said that 0.175% mails are affected. Here you will find my numbers: in 2014, 5 on 29 trades I made got a value under 500 gold. In 2015, 1 on 19 trades I made got a value under 500 gold.
We made trades of Eternity (with deposit), a bunch of precursor weapons, Kudzu, Bifrost or even Permanent Hair Stylist Contract…
No scam. No problem. Only happy people.

With all respect, you underestimated (or ignored?) this business while your ban tools are enough accurate to see what gold trade is or not (and that’s great !).
0.175% seems maybe tiny for you but a part of our community is affected by this decision. We are very disapointed Anet has chosen for us the easiest way and without any debatte as we saw in CDI.
We hope the situation is going to be better. We hope our opinion will be considered.

The Gw2Shop Staff

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ So you are doing something that is not supported by the game, and then you complain when they change something that effects that?

Things that are not supported by the game should never be taken into consideration when doing changes.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: cifer.2357

cifer.2357

^ Did you even read what his site offers?

Also I agree with Mystic.5934 suggestions. This puts a hamper on guild-related activities and money laundering. Might not affect the large majority of the players but still affects a good portion of the community. This affects me because I frequently sell dungeons and while I don’t hit the 500g cap, I can probably manage about 200-300 per week. If I decide to sell more than 500g, I wouldn’t be able to receive any gold for the duration of the week. I think that’s a little stupid.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Randy Chuggs.9451

Randy Chuggs.9451

There should be an account wallet which is password/pin protected, which you have to withdraw onto your character to spend maybe?

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ Did you even read what his site offers?

Yes.
It offer services that is not supported by ArenaNet.
More specifically out of TP-trading.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Hey everyone,

I am representing Gw2Shop fansite. We are a French Guild Wars website created in 2006, used as a sell & buy platform for players in Guild Wars.
We followed the release of Guild Wars 2 by opening a new forum. We offer to our community your news, our tutorials for the game and a trade service.

This trade service is today destroyed with this new rule, and maybe a part of our website, of our activity, of our community is killed too.
Our goal was to help Guild Wars 2 players to find buyer or seller and to linked both using game mails with a member of our staff to exchange goods and money. This service was really known in the French community.

Chris, you said that 0.175% mails are affected. Here you will find my numbers: in 2014, 5 on 29 trades I made got a value under 500 gold. In 2015, 1 on 19 trades I made got a value under 500 gold.
We made trades of Eternity (with deposit), a bunch of precursor weapons, Kudzu, Bifrost or even Permanent Hair Stylist Contract…
No scam. No problem. Only happy people.

With all respect, you underestimated (or ignored?) this business while your ban tools are enough accurate to see what gold trade is or not (and that’s great !).
0.175% seems maybe tiny for you but a part of our community is affected by this decision. We are very disapointed Anet has chosen for us the easiest way and without any debatte as we saw in CDI.
We hope the situation is going to be better. We hope our opinion will be considered.

The Gw2Shop Staff

9.You may not buy, sell, transfer or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell, transfer or auction) , or offer to transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction, any game Account or game Content, including (without limitation) game characters, character attributes, items, objects, currency, credits or copyrighted material, or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by ArenaNet, Inc., NCsoft, the Service, or our licensors, nor may you encourage or induce any other player to participate in such prohibited transaction(s), except as may be specifically authorized by the Service and by ArenaNet or NCsoft, without first obtaining our express written permission.

I think this is the only response you will recieve about your situation. Such things are not allowed and strictly prohibited.

Anet may choose to be lienient, but such things can certainly result in a ban for all participating members.

Good luck!

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: zorifour.2173

zorifour.2173

Why making this after almost everyone have legendary… is too late already.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Not happy with this change. 500g is not enough.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

^ So you are doing something that is not supported by the game, and then you complain when they change something that effects that?

Things that are not supported by the game should never be taken into consideration when doing changes.

I have to agree with this. A business that is centered around avoiding the only intended method of trading shouldn’t be taken into consideration.

People using such services are taking a huge risk, and placing a lot of trust in people they most likely don’t know. I’m not claiming the site/service mentioned above is illegitimate/dishonest, but I have no reason to trust it, either.

Whenever I see things like this, I’m reminded of the player-run bank scandals of Eve Online. Services that existed for years in some cases, earning the trust of large numbers of players, only to end up running off with all of the money they were entrusted with.

It’s simply easier, and better/safer for the game, to not accommodate such services.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Hambone.4267

Hambone.4267

1.) This is entirely about ANET being kitteny that they’re losing sales to 3rd parties because their prices are too high and they rip people off on the exchanges on both sides.

2.) This change benefits no one but ANET.

3.) Prices are literally 10x times higher now on the TP than they were last time I quit the game (over a year maybe 2). I expect that this will have absolutely 0 effect on lowering prices.

4.) As stated by others in this thread there multiple ways around this for the black market while it hassles “innocents”.

5.) ANET’s pro arguments are lame in the extreme and reminiscent of Comcast switching from unlimited downloads to data caps because “most people won’t be effected”.

There are many other things that DEVs could and should be spending OUR (paid for) time on – this IS NOT IT (apparently contractions are filtered? Seriously?).

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Unless I misunderstood, the limit applies to how much gold you can receive, not on how much you can send. You can send as many 500g mails OUT as you want.

This means that large guilds will NOT be significantly impacted when they send out large prizes. The winner will have to receive his payment in weekly installments, but heck, that’s more like a real lotto anyway.

And what about the guy that needs to receive all the money from the raffle tickets ? Like the GM can’t get more than 500g. Which means you reduce the number of entries. Which is BS in huge guilds.

You can receive the mail, so you know how many entries there are.

Except you have a 10 mail limit. If you are in a big guild, and doing an event open to the public, say a 50/50 drawing with a 5g limit. If you have already either received money in mails or took money out of a guild bank, you have to subtract that. But 100 entries at 5g each is the most you can have. If it goes over that, your extras are screwed, if it is more than 10 (the most the mail will show). Doing it with more than one player receiving the gold is problematical, as that person will have to talk to the other, comparing names to see you don’t get duplicates, and having the main person add all the names to their list from the other coordinator’s list. Tell me again how to tell how many entries THAT SENT MONEY there are?

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Cloudz.6890

Cloudz.6890

hehe, I think we found our go-to currency! I’m just remembering all the Diablo 2 days where you would buy expensive things with soj (Stone of Jordan rings).

This happened in GW1 as well. People started supplementing their purchases with Ectos and later Armbraces. Of course p2p trading was allowed in the game so it was a lot less risky.

Gold Transfer Changes

joeyw.9531

Just to precise a thing: we know how to read. Two years ago, when we pondered about this trade service (because the need of our community to get this kind of service was growing) we ASK Anet customer support to help us about the legality of this service because of this precise article of the rules.

We clearly asked if it was against Guild Wars 2 rules. Clearly.

Aaaaaaaand… I’m still trying to understand if it was “yes” or “no” because you know like me how vague Anet answers can be (who said third party software ?).

Gold Transfer Changes

mrstealth.6701

Except you have a 10 mail limit. If you are in a big guild, and doing an event open to the public, say a 50/50 drawing with a 5g limit. If you have already either received money in mails or took money out of a guild bank, you have to subtract that. But 100 entries at 5g each is the most you can have. If it goes over that, your extras are screwed, if it is more than 10 (the most the mail will show). Doing it with more than one player receiving the gold is problematical, as that person will have to talk to the other, comparing names to see you don’t get duplicates, and having the main person add all the names to their list from the other coordinator’s list. Tell me again how to tell how many entries THAT SENT MONEY there are?

Use something that isn’t gold for the ticket and prize. It’s a minor inconvenience for the players/communities that are impacted, but a much larger hit to the profits and efficiency of illegitimate activities.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My guess is that most of the people in this thread stomping their feet and gathering pitchforks won’t be affected by this one bit, ever. It is just another reason for people to grumble for the sake of grumbling. Sure there are a very few this will affect as Anet’s data supports, but it is a very tiny number. But hey, let’s grumble and complain because it is the thing to do whenever there is a change made with some potential issue that won’t ever be an issue for most.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

exactly, all of that happened in GW1 and its so easy that this kind of payment solution will now easily come back into gw2 to circumvent the issue, that gold is limited now then to 500G for payments… so if you want to sell something, that is in your opinion more worth, than 500G, knowing that your buyer can give you max only 500G in Gold, you will want them from now on to pay you simple the difference in worth with other valuable goods as much as possible via ingame mails, as the item slots there are naturally also limited.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: allen johnston.8419

allen johnston.8419

This does seem like a small amount to cap. I could easily see 1000g being more feasible. I have several accounts that I dispersed my gold on, just in case one did get hacked(as I’ve been hacked a few times in my MMO career) that I would not lose all of my gold at once, but rather only a fraction of it. I do have the email authentication, but if they got past that, at least I have more peace at mind as to how much gold they can take. Whenever I wanted to make a large purchase in game, I would just move some gold from one account to another. Now I won’t be able to do this as readily, but then again I guess at most I would lose is 500g to a hacker if I catch it within the weeks time.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

1.) This is entirely about ANET being kitteny that they’re losing sales to 3rd parties because their prices are too high and they rip people off on the exchanges on both sides.

2.) This change benefits no one but ANET.

3.) Prices are literally 10x times higher now on the TP than they were last time I quit the game (over a year maybe 2). I expect that this will have absolutely 0 effect on lowering prices.

4.) As stated by others in this thread there multiple ways around this for the black market while it hassles "innocents’.

5.) ANET’s pro arguments are lame in the extreme and reminiscent of Comcast switching from unlimited downloads to data caps because “most people won’t be effected”.

There are many other things that DEVs could and should be spending OUR (paid for) time on – this isn’kitten

1.) Gem sales have always been $1.25 USD for 100. Since launch. The prices have not changed, nor will they. Also as a company they should protect their interests, not only themselves, but for their customers as well.
1a) The Gem Exchange rate is determined entirely by the players. The more people convert gold into gems, the higher the cost to do so. The more people convert gems to gold, the lower the cost. It was set up this way from the start, and nothing has been changed or modified in how it works.

2.) It effects the players as well. It’s an added layer of security if/when people get thier accounts hacked. It also helps the players in that people aren’t using 3rd party sites to buy gold, which leads to accounts being hacked, which is bad not only for the game as a whole, but the players who got hacked.

3.) The prices on the TP are set solely by the players based on willingness to buy and willingness to sell. Luxury items (i.e. precursors, special skins, etc.) are higher because they are in more demand, but maintain the same supply as a year ago. This only leads to people being willing to pay more for them. Over all, a vast majority of items on the TP have had very little change in prices. Also it;s not inflation when it only applies to a very very small portion of luxury items.

4.) 3rd party sites will always try to find a work around to pull in another sucker. However, even if they started sending items instead of gold directly, its much more of a hassle for players, which leads to less desire to use such sites, which then lead to a decrease in gold selling activites. In the end it hurts gold sellers on way or another.

5.) Based on the data they have, and we don’t, this is probably the most effective way to stop gold sellers, and protect their players and game. It’s a good change, and some people will be effected, but it’s a minor convenience to a very very small percentage (0.175%) which there are ways they can compensate and still go about their business.
It’s not even close to capping data on the interenet. Its protecting the game, it’s players, and Anet. Capping internet downloads is something else entirely.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Just to precise a thing: we know how to read. Two years ago, when we pondered about this trade service (because the need of our community to get this kind of service was growing) we ASK Anet customer support to help us about the legality of this service because of this precise article of the rules.

We clearly asked if it was against Guild Wars 2 rules. Clearly.

Aaaaaaaand… I’m still trying to understand if it was “yes” or “no” because you know like me how vague Anet answers can be (who said third party software ?).

Are you accepting a “fee” for people using this service?
If ye, then yes I would be concerned.
If no, I would at least reconsider. Player to Player trading is frowned upon, but not expressly forbidden. If there happenes to be one player who decides to complain about your service because he felt that he was scammed in some way, than it could go very badly for you.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

joeyw.9531

Indeed, this precision is needed: it was 100% free. We did this only for the community

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: LittleFoot MacLoyd.6032

LittleFoot MacLoyd.6032

1. The maximum total amount of gold that an individual player account can accept in a week will be 500 gold.

My guild does weekly lotteries, so far we’ve not quite gotten up to 500g but we have have been right at the door. And they send the gold to me, as I head up the lotto. So, I am a bit concerned that this will hinder future lotteries.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Such a good change. Thumbs up!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I lol’ed. ArenaNet is the Comcast of MMO makers? Ouch man.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Mikess.3267

Mikess.3267

I had to create an account to write, cause i’m ultra dissapointed to this change.

DEAR GAILE GRAY:

Making a gold cap to 500 for every person presses to economy and makes some people to NOT KEEP PLAYING AS THEY USED TO DO.

Guild leaders need more than 500g cap to do their normal activities. I CAN’T BELIEVE u da a change BECAUSE AFFECTS THE MINORITY, SO WE DON’T COUNT?

i use to buy prelegendaries for more than 1000g to people who need them, i gave a pre to my girlfiend and i don’t want to keep a friend waiting for 500g for over a week, making him think that i can scam or similar.

I use to move more than 300 g over a week only in my guild. I can only give some money to my guildies or friends for a 200g poor amount.

Sorry, but THIS PREVENTS HACKING ACCOUNTS, WHILE AFFECTING THE ECONOMY AND ACTIVITIES ON THE GAME, AFFECTING WAY MORE PEOPLE THAN U THINK IT AFFECTS.

U are on the wrong way. Improve the security, make backups, do a research and tell people how to protect their account, but don’t make caps that affect the playstyle of the players.

Also if u keep thinking the cap does nothing to people(when it really affects tons of players and will make them very sad and anet will lose some credit…) RAISE IT.

1000G+ would be THE MINIMUM AMOUNT to really affect couple rich players. 500 is way too low.

Sorry for my tone, i really want to be read and i almost cried when i heard i will have to change how i play and use money to convert it into t6 to buy things.

Reminds me so hard the ectos used in gw1 as money. And makes me thing u took a bad decision, poorly tested and old, taking the actual moment we are.

Really, i want to encourage you to rethink it, either raise the cap, either make a better decision and test it.

Thanks for reading me.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

Now I won’t be able to do this as readily, but then again I guess at most I would lose is 500g to a hacker if I catch it within the weeks time.

Here’s my interpretation: If someone hacked your account with say 2000g in it. They could send 500g to 4 of their own accounts (or customer accounts). They could actually send 500g x4 to one account but it would take 4 weeks to pull the gold out of the mail into the wallet. The money is sent without issue (your 2k gold is gone), the limit is only on taking it out of the mail. The above is assuming you had the 2k gold in your wallet. If that same 2k was in your personal guild gold storage, then they would only be able to take 500g out.

I don’t recall anyone else mentioning it but point 7 is bugging me. A future change could be changing the amount to less than 500g per week.

Gold Transfer Changes

allen johnston.8419

Now I won’t be able to do this as readily, but then again I guess at most I would lose is 500g to a hacker if I catch it within the weeks time.

Here’s my interpretation: If someone hacked your account with say 2000g in it. They could send 500g to 4 of their own accounts (or customer accounts). They could actually send 500g x4 to one account but it would take 4 weeks to pull the gold out of the mail into the wallet. The money is sent without issue (your 2k gold is gone), the limit is only on taking it out of the mail. The above is assuming you had the 2k gold in your wallet. If that same 2k was in your personal guild gold storage, then they would only be able to take 500g out.

I don’t recall anyone else mentioning it but point 7 is bugging me. A future change could be changing the amount to less than 500g per week.

Oh okay, I thought it was you could only send 500g and receive 500g, but with being able to send it all, yes, this system is rather inefficient in my eyes. A gold buyer could buy 3000g on 6 accounts then, and convert the gold to an in game item via the auction house to get the gold to their main account.

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

I had to create an account to write, cause i’m ultra dissapointed to this change.

Why did you have to create an account just to post? If you have a valid GW2 account you already have forum access. That is unless you had another account that has been banned from the forum for some reason.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

allen johnston.8419

In my mind, if this 3rd party gold purchases was such an issue, to combat the loss of revenue to arenanet, you’d think they would perhaps hire a small team and implement a system that throws flags to that small team of say gold transfers 1000g and up per week, for which arenanet could take the difference of income to pay that small team to review those flags. This method they currently plan to implement is rather big brotherish in my eyes.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

I’ll go ahead and pitch in on these 2 points, as they seem to be the most prevalent in the discussion so far.

On the first point about guild bank withdraws.

Yes, this will impact players with personal Guild Banks storing gold. However, a majority of players here are talking about personal guild banks for storage of wealth. These are basically the same as storing gold in the old personal bank. While there some benefits to doing this, the account wallet was implemented to be a single storage point for an account. On a single account basis, this does not impact anyone’s ability to move your gold unless you still have a large quantity of gold sitting in your guild bank as of today.

When multiple personal accounts are taken into account, this has a much larger impact on the ability to move wealth between accounts. This is just going to be an unfortunate side effect of clamping down on large wealth movements, and if you have multiple personal accounts, there are many different ways to store and transfer wealth between your accounts.

On to the second point about lotteries/donations/pooling assets.

There are plenty of workarounds that can be done for almost all of these situations that are being brought up. None of these situations are actually prevented by implementing the gold restriction, they are simply slowed down. Gold transfer does not need to be performed by one person/account for guild matters, as almost all guilds that are doing these activities have a guild officer core they can rely on.

There will always be cases where multiple of thousands of gold need to be moved, just plan ahead for those events. That being said, donations of gold are probably no longer the best means of transfering wealth between guild members if you are trying to move large quantities of wealth.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

I’ll go ahead and pitch in on these 2 points, as they seem to be the most prevalent in the discussion so far.

On the first point about guild bank withdraws.

Yes, this will impact players with personal Guild Banks storing gold. However, a majority of players here are talking about personal guild banks for storage of wealth. These are basically the same as storing gold in the old personal bank. While there some benefits to doing this, the account wallet was implemented to be a single storage point for an account. On a single account basis, this does not impact anyone’s ability to move your gold unless you still have a large quantity of gold sitting in your guild bank as of today.

When multiple personal accounts are taken into account, this has a much larger impact on the ability to move wealth between accounts. This is just going to be an unfortunate side effect of clamping down on large wealth movements, and if you have multiple personal accounts, there are many different ways to store and transfer wealth between your accounts.

On to the second point about lotteries/donations/pooling assets.

There are plenty of workarounds that can be done for almost all of these situations that are being brought up. None of these situations are actually prevented by implementing the gold restriction, they are simply slowed down. Gold transfer does not need to be performed by one person/account for guild matters, as almost all guilds that are doing these activities have a guild officer core they can rely on.

There will always be cases where multiple of thousands of gold need to be moved, just plan ahead for those events. That being said, donations of gold are probably no longer the best means of transfering wealth between guild members if you are trying to move large quantities of wealth.

1. So you are admitting to affecting people with multiple accounts and basically saying we will just need to take this intentional side effect. That says something about you don’t care about your player base.

2. On guilds. Why is there even a need to make a “work around” for something so basic in this game? Again, you PURPOSEFULLY introduce something that IMPEDE the community to do events. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you want to DESTROY our community? Do you HATE guilds? I mean this is called GUILD wars 2.

3. This does nothing to prevent the RMTs from doing business as they will just trade in valuable items instead of gold as many have mentioned in this thread.

This achieves NOTHING but to HARM the game than to help it.

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

3. This does nothing to prevent the RMTs from doing business as they will just trade in valuable items instead of gold as many have mentioned in this thread.

I disagree. If someone goes to a gold selling site and they see, “Pay us real money and we will send you items that you can sell on the TP for gold” people might think twice. Yes certain items maintain some degree of value, but there is still some market fluctuation. So the actual gold value of those items will vary. Not to mention they would have to factor in the trading post fees as part of the item value. Most people that want to take the gold buying shortcut from those sites just want a quick buy for an absolute gold value to cheat the system. They won’t want to hassle with selling their items bought via RMT on the TP and have to wait for them to sell. Not to mention the gold buyers may not even have enough gold to list those high value items to start with.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

mrstealth.6701

i use to buy prelegendaries for more than 1000g to people who need them, i gave a pre to my girlfiend and i don’t want to keep a friend waiting for 500g for over a week, making him think that i can scam or similar.

You can still send as many precursors as you’d like. The restriction is on gold alone. If you were buying these precursors through means other than the trading post, then you were doing so in a unintended, and unsupported, way. And you can still buy them that way using other items (ecto, lodestones, etc) as currency.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Please explain to me how this is not the case. You are choosing to destroy-

1) A guild’s ability to quickly award prizes in a guild competition by limiting what they can withdraw or mail for that matter

2) A website’s ability to award prizes from competitions

3) A single person’s ability to move large quantities of gold from one account to another if they have multiple accounts

4) A single person that is heavy into WvW and spends hundreds of gold a week on such activities

5) A single person’s ability to use gold in any functional way when attemptin to invest in the in game economy and “play the market”

6) The ability a single person who sees a high end weapon (for example Twilight) at a great value or mats listed at an axceptionally low price to now wait 3-4 weeks to make said purchase? I’m betting that great value will be gone by then…

7) You are forcing everyone who wants to have true freedom in buying and selling to carry all their gold on them then claiming that it’s in the interest of security? Let’s play out a scenario- I am an account thief, I steal an account with 3k in gold, I see your mailing rule…. it’s cute…, I buy Eternity, I send it to the account I want the gold on, I sell it, I get my gold, I laugh at your silly rule that only hurts the community and makes my business vaguely aggravating.

8) As a result of 7 you are now going to see the hyper inflation of a myriad of things on the TP as items become RMT currency. Again who gets hurt? The community…

Has no one sat down and made a simple pro’s and cons list…

All this is doing is switching the currency of RMT’s into high end items. I no way shape or form will this stop them from doing business. So in affect the only people truly being harmed by this is your community!

I mean let’s be completely honest here… this is solely about people circumventing TP listing fees and has zero to do with account security

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Niyati.4215

Niyati.4215

I think this may be a big problem for the guild that i’m in. On days we they do raffles before Triple Trouble they sometimes get 700+ gold. Which is all sent to one leader and raffled off after TT.

Gold Transfer Changes

mrstealth.6701

I disagree. If someone goes to a gold selling site and they see, “Pay us real money and we will send you items that you can sell on the TP for gold” people might think twice. Yes certain items maintain some degree of value, but there is still some market fluctuation. So the actual gold value of those items will vary. Not to mention they would have to factor in the trading post fees as part of the item value. Most people that want to take the gold buying shortcut just want a quick buy for an absolute gold value to cheat the system. They won’t want to hassle with selling their items bought via RMT on the TP and have to wait for them to sell.

If a gold buyer wants 1000g, the RMT seller will likely be expected to give them an amount they can instantly sell on the TP for 1000g after fees. Which means the RMT seller will need to send them 15% more of the item. This adds more layers of work and cost to their business model, and an inconvenience/discouragement to their customers.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

knip

I think this is the only response you will recieve about your situation. Such things are not allowed and strictly prohibited.

Anet may choose to be lienient, but such things can certainly result in a ban for all participating members.

Good luck!

The article you quote also forbids guild auctions, guild sweeps and several other guild activities that are used by many guilds. So it is a little bit silly to use this argument. Yes, you are right that this will be ArenaNet’s answer. But that does not make it a good answer.

500G may seem like an entirely arbitrary number, but I guarantee it is not. I took a look at our mail data (believe me, you guys really like mail and there is a lot of data) and set the value based on that. At 500G, it is not only functionally effective, but also it will only impact 0.175% of our players during an entire month’s worth of mails (if an account would hit the restriction once per month/30 days).

Looking more directly at those transactions, a large majority (98.228%) of those mails are being sent by RMT or compromised accounts (after selling off everything of value on an account).

Why are you using % of players and % of mails in above answer? That only confuses most readers. You should have used one or the other. Information that uses this kind of confusing figures are normally a sign of fraud. Coming from someone responsible for security this strikes me as odd.

I am going to log into the game and transfer all the gold in my personal guild bank to my wallet. That is obviously what ArenaNet wants.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

I disagree. If someone goes to a gold selling site and they see, “Pay us real money and we will send you items that you can sell on the TP for gold” people might think twice. Yes certain items maintain some degree of value, but there is still some market fluctuation. So the actual gold value of those items will vary. Not to mention they would have to factor in the trading post fees as part of the item value. Most people that want to take the gold buying shortcut just want a quick buy for an absolute gold value to cheat the system. They won’t want to hassle with selling their items bought via RMT on the TP and have to wait for them to sell.

If a gold buyer wants 1000g, the RMT seller will likely be expected to give them an amount they can instantly sell on the TP for 1000g after fees. Which means the RMT seller will need to send them 15% more of the item. This adds more layers of work and cost to their business model, and an inconvenience/discouragement to their customers.

Exactly. And as I mentioned above (you caught me pre-edit), a RMT gold buyer may not even have enough gold to list those high value items due to TP fees. If they did, they probably would not be trying to buy gold via RMT.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Xdmatt — this is great, what a fine community spirit you’re showi… wait a minute, I see what you did there!

Iason — I am not sure about the answer to this. As pdavis and mtpelion point out, the wallet is account bound and does not have a limit. So I’m curious why you feel a second storage option is needed.

steve and others — I will ask about the functionality of a “sent items” system. However, off the top of my head I suspect that implementing such functionality would not be a trivial or easy process, and I can see it would involve several teams (programming, UI, art, etc.). As Ic points out, it may be seen as more a QoL factor than an essential system change. But again, I’ll see what I can find out or a dev may post here to answer this question.

suffish — I have not heard that there’s a motivation factor involving preventing player-to-player trading. As the statement says, this is about curbing fraud, RMT, and the oft-related account thefts.

Rising Dusk — another question I’ll need to ask. But when accounts are proven to have been hacked, the account is restored (rolled back) so would that not accomplish the same thing that you’re proposing? And wouldn’t doing what you propose make restorations a moot factor?

hrasna — you’ve hit a very important point here: This change will impact very, very few players. In fact, in previous statistical reviews, the percentage of players who would be impacted would be in the low single digits.

I still haven’t gotten an answer to my question and would totally love one. I did however answer the question I got in response for my question.

Thanks.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Calcanius.5048

Calcanius.5048

Still only see that this will hurt real players more than seller.
Real player: loans money to friends, sells dungeons, guild lottery and tons of other options, they will get punished since they now have to pay tranfer fee on tp to tranfer large amount of money.
Hackers: loose as small amount of the stolen value, they just convert gold to items, instance, mail 5*stack of charged lodestones (around 3500) and sell it on reciver account for money.
Sure goldsellers might loose a bit profit, but they still gamble on the hacked accounts, they never know what they are going to get, so tp tax is only a small setback, where real players get punished.
(edit) At least raise it to 1000, think that will hurt far less people than 500, 500 is a small amount of gold and can easy be accumelated in a week.

(edited by Calcanius.5048)