Golden bikinis :(...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DargorV.8571

DargorV.8571

I would totally go into battle wearing a bikini and I’m happy Anet took the time to include my fashion statement.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

@OP: Look at armageddon armor. It looks quite intimidating to me while being fully covered. Also about having to choose between male and female, I think there might be a problem. I think that they will haveto refit/redesign every armor skin in the game for that since the body types may be to different, which is in my opinion a gigantic task for a “problem” (it’s not that we don’t have options, some are just less frequent) that is rather easily solved (a “few” well chosen designs would do wonders).

EverythingOP

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

The thing is, there are too little time and too many things needed to do.

While armor issue i think Anet has already doing very good, we have a wide range of armor to choose from, from skimpy to non skimpy, practical to fantasy. My only complain is the lack of diversity of medium armor.

As i said earlier, every player got their own armor preference, there just ain’t enough time to fit everyone’s needs. Therefore all games make armors separately for different gender. This is the most practical and simplified way to fit most players’ needs.

Gem store armor for female is designed to always have skimpy and non skimpy included in 1 design. Either sexy top or sexy legging or both, why? Because we are expected to mix and match. I am sure the sales volume is very low if the female version is very practical.

For example: Incarnate Light Armor, it has a very skimpy chest armor skin for female, but on the other hand, it has a very lovely non skimpy legging too. I don’t know hows OP is thinking about the armor skin. For me, if i want a very skimpy toon, the top is very nice, if i want a non skimpy toon, the pant is very nice. See? The option is already here, just see how you’ve like to mix and match your own taste of armor.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

From all the possible armors, you picked Arah? It looks absolutely awesome on a female character. I dont like how this armor looks on a male character tho. Opinions.

But I agree. For example the new assasin outfit in the store looks so bad on a female with this ugly thing on the back. I want male model of this armor for the female characters.

Posted by: MercyKilling.8519

MercyKilling.8519

ahh, ic ic
i always felt my female armor was too skimpy and non-intimidating
i mean, look at how uninspiring this is.. it looks like she is going to the beach rather than deep into the battlefolds of tyria

You’re rocking the ganja. That in no way, shape or form is what I would deem as “revealing” or “skimpy” or remotely bathing-suit like.

Posted by: ThePod.2480

ThePod.2480

So, are any devs going comment on this?
It’d be nice to know what they think of it.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You know another thing comes to mind. Women don’t exactly wear plated armor in public but they do wear mini skirts, tube tops and other apparel that leaves little to the imagination. Then, when it’s mirrored in a video game suddenly it’s impractical and too revealing?

Oh come on. You seriously think all women wear that? Right now I’m in jeans and t-shirt. Irl I don’t wear skirts. They’re a nuisance and completely impractical.

I’ve seen guys go out jogging bare-chested, as much as women in mini skirts at the mall. So hello, where is the eye candy for the ladies?

Where did I say “all women”? I was making a blanket statement about how it’s not uncommon to see women in more revealing clothing than what can be found in Guild Wars 2.
Anyway, yes. I agree. Men should have some more revealing armors and have more options to look sexy as well. Because women play this game too and some of them would like to make their characters have sex appeal. As long as people remember that this is a video game and nothing more, I see no harm in oversexualizing either gender. If people wanted to run around in their underwear all the time with oiled up bodies and perfectly chiseled abs by all means, I see nothing wrong with allowing your human nature to go wild. But, not everyone embraces their natural desires in such a way.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Hechicera.9816

Hechicera.9816

I’ve been commenting on threads like this for decades, being a female in gaming.

Choice, which is what OP wanted, is always good. To the posters that said, throw realism out the window, that’s good too. Rather than have players come argue about which opinion wins, and for which armor, just give players choices. More choices equal more gamers happy with how their character looks and thus more money.

Gaming, as an industry, also needs to be a tad less … obtuse. More women game, and many more women, gaming and non-gaming, control more of the household budget now. While ANet doesn’t 100% fall into this trap, only young teen males being happy with the choices will confine the game to heavy competition in a saturated space, with less people willing to help them buy it. Honestly, ANet isn’t half bad with options compared to much of the genre. They should keep it up though, and I support OP.

Then again, given that Anet had the guts to add a lesbian couple to the game, I’m still waiting for them to have the guts to openly sexualize a male character by giving them skimpy outfits.

That isn’t guts. Especially if one was hot for anything with a pulse in the writing too: it was pure pandering. Guts isn’t adding lesbians wanting action, it would be adding a respected male gay couple who were committed and leaders in their community.

(edited by Hechicera.9816)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You know another thing comes to mind. Women don’t exactly wear plated armor in public but they do wear mini skirts, tube tops and other apparel that leaves little to the imagination. Then, when it’s mirrored in a video game suddenly it’s impractical and too revealing?

You are not suggesting that plate miniskirts and bikinis are practical, i hope?
There’s a difference between dressing up for a party, or for a battle. Even if some social meetings can be really competitive.

Skimpy outfits are okay (especially for the Norn). What is not okay is the difference between male/female versions of the same armour. Want a skimpy female armour? Make an armour that is revealing for both (good example is the Gladiator armour set).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

how do you downvote a post >_>
Anyway, a cosplayer actually replicated the armor used for the opening posters main argument.. not only does it look intimidating, but it’s not skimpy enough to deter an Actual human female from wearing it {and looking absolutely awesome by the way}
As a few posters have already stated, if you play the game for 15 seconds you’ll find that there is an equal amount, if not greater, of bulky non-revealing armor.. and this is across all classes and gender

Yet it fails completely at it’s actual purpose which is to provide protection for the body from sharp pointy things being thrust at it.

Although in this case it does appear to be picking out one particular armour out of an array of quite reasonable armour sets for female characters. Out of all the heavy armour sets there are only really a few that fail to match up with the male versions so there are still plenty of options available for those who actually want to wear armour instead of chain mail bikinis.

Light armour however… now that is pretty terrible all round.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Implementing what the OP suggests would take a lot more work than most of you realize. It isn’t like a switch or button they can press. The armors in any video game are tailored carefully to fit the specific body for which they were originally designed. The male and female are shaped a little differently and they both move a little differently. They have different animations.

Here’s a list off the top of my head of complications which prevent devs from going back and re purposing one armor to work on another body:

- Artist would have to resize most of the armor pieces. This would create texture warping. Imagine someone getting a tattoo when they are 20, then imagine how the tattoo will look when they are 50 and their skin is all saggy. The artist would need to redo the UVs to fix that.
- Might need to create whole new armor pieces, such as a pauldron or belt buckle in order to cover seams or graphical anomalies.
- Will have to redo the skin weights on all the vertices so that the armor moves properly with the animation of the different body.

All in all it’s just bad practice to go back and make sweeping changes to an existing asset like that. It would actually be just as easy, if not easier for them to make a whole new set of armor from scratch. The best solution would be to create a whole new set of armor from scratch for female which is visually closer to the male version.

Now consider how many armor sets they have added since launch, and where they added them to? Gem store. Reason being: it’s expensive for an artist to spend all that time making new armors, even if they are visually similar. Its like asking someone to make a corvette with a slightly different shaped body. They still have to build the whole new car from scratch. However unlike a car, it’s destructive and clunky to try to make alterations to the existing one.

Posted by: bruinen.5706

bruinen.5706

Ok, how about this:

ArenaNet, why not try this with a few armor sets like the dungeon armors and cultural armors and see how it goes? You could have a toggle on each piece that would let you switch between skins. If it goes well, future armor sets could have this option.

I know this kind of thing takes time, which is why trying it out on a limited number of sets (instead of overhauling all armor in game) would sound like a good compromise to me.

Again, this is about choice – nothing else. No one should feel judged by their armor choices, but everybody should have access to the same options.

You were able to slip the same armor over Asura and Norn with great results. I have no doubt that this can be done with a female form as well.

I really believe this can be done and would possibly open up great possibilities in the future as well as give ArenaNet bragging rights as far as creativity and equality is concerned. Think about it.

I hope we can hear an “official” response to this topic soon.

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You are not suggesting that plate miniskirts and bikinis are practical, i hope?
There’s a difference between dressing up for a party, or for a battle. Even if some social meetings can be really competitive.

Skimpy outfits are okay (especially for the Norn). What is not okay is the difference between male/female versions of the same armour. Want a skimpy female armour? Make an armour that is revealing for both (good example is the Gladiator armour set).

It doesn’t matter if it’s armor or not. When it’s revealing to such a degree that it’s difficult to discern underwear from pants is when it becomes impractical.
If you’d read one of my later posts you’d see that I very much agree men and women should both have revealing outfits, or have none. It’s silly that women are restricted to looking sexy and dainty and men are restricted to looking tough and generic. I would prefer it if their choices in armor/clothing were less dependent on their gender.
All I’m saying is that the people who consider revealing outfits ridiculous, impractical, sexist, what ever else they are saying that’s basically nonsense… Needs to get a grip on reality because there are women in the actual world that, maybe not wearing armor, but are wearing attire that is just as revealing.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

in early days some tribes had female warriors with quite bare armor on, the reason is because it gives them enough space to move fast and lower the chance of overheating ones self. (you have any idea how hot it is in a full plated armor while it’s summer >_<)
just look at the amazons, they didn’t wear much but what they wear was enough.
it gave them room to move and climb trees, make ambushes and even evade speer attacks.

sure, nowadays ppl only think about the sexiness, at the time they really didn’t care as long as they were efficient in battle.

Xenon.4537

Ok, how about this:

ArenaNet, why not try this with a few armor sets like the dungeon armors and cultural armors and see how it goes? You could have a toggle on each piece that would let you switch between skins. If it goes well, future armor sets could have this option.

I know this kind of thing takes time, which is why trying it out on a limited number of sets (instead of overhauling all armor in game) would sound like a good compromise to me.

Again, this is about choice – nothing else. No one should feel judged by their armor choices, but everybody should have access to the same options.

You were able to slip the same armor over Asura and Norn with great results. I have no doubt that this can be done with a female form as well.

I really believe this can be done and would possibly open up great possibilities in the future as well as give ArenaNet bragging rights as far as creativity and equality is concerned. Think about it.

I hope we can hear an “official” response to this topic soon.

I’m not sure if you read my post, but I basically tried to outline exactly why your idea is not feasible. They can’t simply toggle the male and female pieces. This isn’t Legos.

Every single thing you see in a video game is made of polygons which are defined as triangular areas in between lines connected by vertices. Every vertex has to be “told” how to move when animated. The male body moves differently than the female body. Not only do the vertices need to be spatially adjusted to fit the size and shape of the body, they also need to be “told” how to move properly. And there are as many as 15,000 polygons per character model in a game like this. Possibly more. This means pretty much overhauling the entire thing to switch it from male to female.

I’m sorry if I burst anyone’s bubble who were blissfully unaware of how video games magically work. There’s lots of geometry and maths going on. They can’t just “toggle” something like a light switch.

Xenon.4537

The best you guys can hope for is future armors to be less bikini-like. They aren’t going to be able to go back and overhaul past armors to suit your personal taste. Besides, there’s tons of people who like the bikini-armor just as much as you hate it. Bikini armor is hardly the only option. Females have plenty of more practical options.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

How can the armours be any less bikini like when they’re all trench coats and tin cans? More form fitting outfits with slight body exposure pls anet

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

+1 to the OP.

ANet has done better with GW2 than a lot of other MMOs, but there are still a lot of sets of armor for females that just don’t look as awesome as the males because they’re supposed to be ‘sexy’. The Phalanx Heavy Armor is a great example of this.

Hopefully ANet will take notice of this and at least do better with armor sets in the future if they can’t/won’t take the time to adjust or add more options for existing sets.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Wow, few ignorant replies, never read that the OP asked for an option to use male or female armor-models, of course correctly fitted to look good.

OP wasn’t asking for “OMG, make all Female battle bikinis into male-armor!”…

I would also like this kind of option…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

snort

I love how people assume it’s women kittening about this. Stereotypical assumptions much people?

FYI, I am 30 year old, married woman. Mother of 1. Full time career in java development, and guess what. I don’t take issue with any of the armor in the game.

Does some of it make the player look like a nun? Hello Devout….
Does some of it make the player look like a call girl from an old western? Hello Masquerade (minus the head gear)…
And we have everything in between. Toss in the ability to mix and match and you can be as skimpy, or not, as you so choose.

In regards to the armor in question, I don’t consider it that skimpy. It has some skimp sure, but there’s worse out there. Personally I love the top, but don’t care for the skirt. I would not be opposed to having an additional set more closely modeled after the male set, but that’s not a reason to remove or redo the one that exists. More options, not less.

Above and beyond all that, ‘sexy’ is not the only reason female sets are less bulky. Sex sells might be high on the list, but take a look at how female warriors dressed over the ages. Typically speaking they don’t wear as bulky gear because we lack the muscle mass (typically) to haul it. While I am not saying women are weak, I am pointing out that we tend to be a bit more lithe and agile than our male counterparts. Our “strength” doesn’t come from brute force. There is some logic in not wrapping yourself in a tin can.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

snort

I love how people assume it’s women kittening about this. Stereotypical assumptions much people?

FYI, I am 30 year old, married woman. Mother of 1. Full time career in java development, and guess what. I don’t take issue with any of the armor in the game.

Does some of it make the player look like a nun? Hello Devout….
Does some of it make the player look like a call girl from an old western? Hello Masquerade (minus the head gear)…
And we have everything in between. Toss in the ability to mix and match and you can be as skimpy, or not, as you so choose.

In regards to the armor in question, I don’t consider it that skimpy. It has some skimp sure, but there’s worse out there. Personally I love the top, but don’t care for the skirt. I would not be opposed to having an additional set more closely modeled after the male set, but that’s not a reason to remove or redo the one that exists. More options, not less.

Above and beyond all that, ‘sexy’ is not the only reason female sets are less bulky. Sex sells might be high on the list, but take a look at how female warriors dressed over the ages. Typically speaking they don’t wear as bulky gear because we lack the muscle mass (typically) to haul it. While I am not saying women are weak, I am pointing out that we tend to be a bit more lithe and agile than our male counterparts. Our “strength” doesn’t come from brute force. There is some logic in not wrapping yourself in a tin can.

^
/thread

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I do agree, it is kinda ridiculous. I understand “sex sells”, but there comes a point where it is irrelevant?

Was it really necessary for the Light starter armor to look like a cheap prostitute? Did they REALLY think it would make a difference whether or not someone plays the game? Really? REALLY?

Personally, I was turned off from making human/norn female characters because of how obnoxious the armor is.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It is nearly as much work to port the male armors to the female bodies as it would be to make new meshes because of the numbers of changes that would be necessary to support body shape differences. It is also not profitable for ANet to do this in the least (unless they sold them all in the gem store, but I feel like if ANet thought that would work well they’d have done it by now), and ranks low on the return on investment compared to bigger and better QOL enhancements. I appreciate that wearing female versions of male armor and vice versa would be cool, but I don’t see it as a very high priority implementation. As a player, I’d much rather new armor in the gemstore than old armor skins retooled for both genders.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

maha.7902

I do agree, it is kinda ridiculous. I understand “sex sells”, but there comes a point where it is irrelevant?

Was it really necessary for the Light starter armor to look like a cheap prostitute? Did they REALLY think it would make a difference whether or not someone plays the game? Really? REALLY?

Personally, I was turned off from making human/norn female characters because of how obnoxious the armor is.

I don’t know what prostitutes you’ve been looking at if that’s honesty how you think it looks. Hyperbole doesn’t get you anywhere, y’know.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It doesn’t matter if it’s armor or not. When it’s revealing to such a degree that it’s difficult to discern underwear from pants is when it becomes impractical.

You are mistaken. The only thing that determines whether or not something is practical is whether or not it fulfills its purpose. Being revealing has nothing inherently to do with practicality. Does the armor piece provide the necessary level of protection for its type (Light, Medium, Heavy) ? If the answer is yes then it is practical regardless of its appearance.

Posted by: Shadowflare.2759

Shadowflare.2759

Implementing what the OP suggests would take a lot more work than most of you realize. It isn’t like a switch or button they can press. The armors in any video game are tailored carefully to fit the specific body for which they were originally designed. The male and female are shaped a little differently and they both move a little differently. They have different animations.

Here’s a list off the top of my head of complications which prevent devs from going back and re purposing one armor to work on another body:

- Artist would have to resize most of the armor pieces. This would create texture warping. Imagine someone getting a tattoo when they are 20, then imagine how the tattoo will look when they are 50 and their skin is all saggy. The artist would need to redo the UVs to fix that.
- Might need to create whole new armor pieces, such as a pauldron or belt buckle in order to cover seams or graphical anomalies.
- Will have to redo the skin weights on all the vertices so that the armor moves properly with the animation of the different body.

All in all it’s just bad practice to go back and make sweeping changes to an existing asset like that. It would actually be just as easy, if not easier for them to make a whole new set of armor from scratch. The best solution would be to create a whole new set of armor from scratch for female which is visually closer to the male version.

Now consider how many armor sets they have added since launch, and where they added them to? Gem store. Reason being: it’s expensive for an artist to spend all that time making new armors, even if they are visually similar. Its like asking someone to make a corvette with a slightly different shaped body. They still have to build the whole new car from scratch. However unlike a car, it’s destructive and clunky to try to make alterations to the existing one.

Thank you for making this post, as this was exactly what’s in my mind the entire time I was reading through the thread. Ignoring the skimpy vs not skimpy arguments, the real problem with implementing the OP’s suggestion is just how much work it most likely be. There is no magical button to just let females have the option to have male armor, since there are so many factors (as you described) in play.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Thank you for making this post, as this was exactly what’s in my mind the entire time I was reading through the thread. Ignoring the skimpy vs not skimpy arguments, the real problem with implementing the OP’s suggestion is just how much work it most likely be. There is no magical button to just let females have the option to have male armor, since there are so many factors (as you described) in play.

Sell them separately then ?

By this I mean have the male and female, “skimpy,” version be one item and the male and female, “non-skimpy,” version be another. Let each version generate its own revenue to justify development resource expenditure. Some people will buy the skimpy version, some the non skimpy. Some people will buy both. If one category (skimpy or non) is consistently a poor seller, in the sense that it does not generate a profit, then it gets scaled back.

Xenon.4537

Sell them separately then ?

By this I mean have the male and female, “skimpy,” version be one item and the male and female, “non-skimpy,” version be another. Let each version generate its own revenue to justify development resource expenditure. Some people will buy the skimpy version, some the non skimpy. Some people will buy both. If one category (skimpy or non) is consistently a poor seller, in the sense that it does not generate a profit, then it gets scaled back.

This is exactly what I was getting at. The best you can hope for is for future armor sets to be less skimpy, because it’s not feasible for them to go back and edit the existing ones. They would have to just remake them from scratch in the same image.

For example, they can’t take “female_human_t3.file” and open it in Maya and switch a few polygons around. It is not that simple. Doing that would require just as much work as creating an entire new set of armor from scratch. Given the choice, any dev is going to start from scratch.

Now lets move on to the next bit of logic. Lets say a dev was asking himself “Okay lets make an armor set. What should I make?” He is much more likely to create something completely original, instead of making something that is just a less skimpy female version of existing armor.

- #1 – Monetization
Brand spanking new armors sell better than remakes of old ones. The flamekissed armors are evidence of that. It also causes community backlash to go and sell a flashier version of existing armor for gems, especially if that armor is special or exclusive in any way (which many of the skimpy ones are). Agree or disagree, I don’t care. It’s the truth. The bottom line is Anet isn’t going to spend time on this if it’s only going to leave them in the red.

- #2 – Demand
Honestly getting less-skimpy versions of existing armors is very low demand and very low priority in the grand scheme of things. There’s countless other pressing issues people want addressed. On top of that, there are plenty of non-skimpy outfits for females in the game. By the way, how many armor sets added since launch have been “bikini” like? Profane is the closest one honestly.

At the risk of repeating myself: The biggest obstacle here is technical feasibility. The OP suggested having the male option available for females. That’s just not technically feasible for all the reasons I have outlined multiple times now. You can ask for future armors to be created from scratch to be less skimpy. And honestly the vast majority of new armors have not been very skimpy.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_light_armor

Human Female Light Armor “Skimpy” (16 sets)
~Inquest
~Sorcerers
~Embroidered
~Masquerade
~Winged
~Feathered
~Apprentice
~Conjuer
~Primative
~Aurora (only because its sleeveless)
~Diviner
~Tribal
~Profane
~Pheonix
~Flamekissed
~Incarnate

Human Female Light Armor “Well Covered” (29 sets)
~Ascalonian Performer
~Council Ministry
~Nightmare court (90%)
~Forgeman
~Flame Legion
~Armor of Koda (75%) -makes up for what it lacks in covering by heavily plating its pieces
~Armor of the linch (95%)
~Priory Historical
~Whispers Secret (95%)
~Vigils Honor (90%)
~Researchers
~Aristocrats (95%)
~Devout
~Student (90%)
~Drybones (95%)
~Acolyte
~Exalted (95%)
~Illustrious
~Country (95%)
~Magician
~Cabalist
~Seer
~Stately (95%)
~Apostle
~Guild Archmage
~Heritage (95%)
~Aetherblade
~Trickster
~zodiaco

I went ahead and composed a list of “skimpy” and “well covered” human female light armor, to show you guys, that there is far more coverage than you think. Note, that how “reinforced” an armor is, which refers to metal plating, is not a factor, as both male and female armors are ill equipt with plating -as, that is afterall, the point of light armor (for the cloth to be magically infused/woven, and protected by magic rather than steel). Also note that the feminine shape of the armor is likewise not a factor, as armor made for women, obviously must be tailored to their bodies; ie: breast room…

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Furthermore -aside from being common place in modern society- vertually all fantasy books, games, and movies, feature female armor where the top bit of their chest and neckline is exposed. As this is a fantasy game, it only makes sense to follow the genre’s criteria. People read a genre because they like its themes, setting, and atmoshpere, and this style is part of that.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

hey, woah.. slow down there
no need to introduce facts and rational thinking into this thread z_z
the baseless opinions and repeat posters were moving it along just fine

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: carlobarletta.5638

carlobarletta.5638

I think people like the female armor and the noises the female players wearing them make.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

LMAO, seriously, sometimes people just need to look at the other armors that are available before labling…. because the truth is, most female armors, are well covered, and not skimpy at all.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’ve been commenting on threads like this for decades, being a female in gaming.

Choice, which is what OP wanted, is always good. To the posters that said, throw realism out the window, that’s good too. Rather than have players come argue about which opinion wins, and for which armor, just give players choices. More choices equal more gamers happy with how their character looks and thus more money.

Gaming, as an industry, also needs to be a tad less … obtuse. More women game, and many more women, gaming and non-gaming, control more of the household budget now. While ANet doesn’t 100% fall into this trap, only young teen males being happy with the choices will confine the game to heavy competition in a saturated space, with less people willing to help them buy it. Honestly, ANet isn’t half bad with options compared to much of the genre. They should keep it up though, and I support OP.

Then again, given that Anet had the guts to add a lesbian couple to the game, I’m still waiting for them to have the guts to openly sexualize a male character by giving them skimpy outfits.

That isn’t guts. Especially if one was one hot for anything with a pulse in the writing too: it was pure pandering. Guts isn’t adding lesbians wanting action, it would be adding a respected male gay couple who were committed and leaders in their community.

JESUS CHRIST THANK YOU.

It’s so rare I see posts like this.

Posted by: carlobarletta.5638

carlobarletta.5638

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

LMAO, seriously, sometimes people just need to look at the other armors that are available before labling…. because the truth is, most female armors, are well covered, and not skimpy at all.

Agreed and also people tends to ignore those “skimpy” armor are not outfit, where everyone can mix and match.
Incarnate Light Armor is a great example. Generally you can call it a skimpy armor but if you use a chest skin which is non skimpy, you got yourself a very practical image. Even many armor SETs are concidered skimpy but under some mix and match you, some of these skimpy armor can fit well into non skimpy outcome. This is the core value of GW2 cosmetic. Players cannot see this because most player loved their female toon look sexy and badaxx.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

This is how game developers are, when it comes to females, they’re either eye candy, getting saved, kissing each other or running around in skimpy armor. Nothing is going to change either, if ever when it comes to gaming.

I think you’re confused. It’s Brahm who shows all the skin, and is portrayed as the dumb piece of eye candy.

And if you want skimpy armor on a male try Pitfighter, Gladiator or Scallywag. The Scallywag armor is just straps. The female version is a_ lot less_ revealing.

The vast majority of heavy armour for both sexes covers the player entirely from head to foot. Seven out of eight dungeon pieces show no skin all.

If you wanted to make a point, you should have talked about light armor.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Now, I can hear you exclaim “But what if the players who create male characters start demanding bikinis in turn?”…the answer to that I don’t know, although I have seen some outfits that come close to that

That ship sailed when they Added the Paragon class in the first game actually
One of their shouts should have been “FABULOUS!”

Anyway, a cosplayer actually replicated the armor used for the opening posters main argument.. not only does it look intimidating, but it’s not skimpy enough to deter an Actual human female from wearing it {and looking absolutely awesome by the way}
<Image attachment/>

I dunno…. I’m having a harrrd time NOT finding her overtly attractive in that…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

That isn’t guts. Especially if one was hot for anything with a pulse in the writing too: it was pure pandering. Guts isn’t adding lesbians wanting action, it would be adding a respected male gay couple who were committed and leaders in their community.

So, when they’re lesbians it’s pandering but if they were male gays it’s guts.
Nice message there.

And anyways, as I said in the old thread, we need more choices.
More skimpy armor for both male and female, and more kitten-sauron-looking armor for both female and males.

And while they’re on it… can we have school uniforms? Tera have them. Not the male ones, by the way. Do both Anet and you can beat the guys of Tera!!

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

That isn’t guts. Especially if one was one hot for anything with a pulse in the writing too: it was pure pandering. Guts isn’t adding lesbians wanting action, it would be adding a respected male gay couple who were committed and leaders in their community.

JESUS CHRIST THANK YOU.

It’s so rare I see posts like this.

Sorry, perhaps I should have added sarcasm tags. I meant the post sarcastically but I keep forgetting that doesn’t work on the internet.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I think there’s plenty of choice to make either revealing or covered outfits. Actually I don’t consider half of the outfits listed in the skimpy category above, as being truly skimpy. I mean sure, the Winged or Sorcerer set definitely are, but showing a bit of cleavage or leg on a light armour here and there really isn’t super revealing in my book. Though more styles in both ways are always welcome

maha.7902

Phoenix, profane, aurora, apprentice and inquest aren’t even skimpy either, that’s honestly just clutching at straws. Cleavage =/= skimpy

Posted by: Hexyn.8462

Hexyn.8462

I don’t get it.. there are plenty of heavy duty armors that make both male and female look like mobile fortresses. Just use one of those? Variety is most certainly available.

————-
Piken Square

Posted by: Traele.2019

Traele.2019

My take on this thread:

OP wants certain armor sets that she named to look more ‘kitten’. She feels that in comparison to the male version of these sets, the lack of coverage detracts from the ‘kittenness’. While I agree there is a coverage disparity, the ‘kittenness’ of a set of armor is kinda subjective. OP asks for option for female version more like male, which seems reasonable, though considering the way art assets work may not be viable from an financial perspective for Anet to do.

Close-minded white knights chime in about skimpy armor, ignore various threads proving that skimpy armor is not even the majority in this game, don’t add much. Probably hope to score points with IRL female OP.

People start talking about unrealistic, skimpy armor, ignoring that armor in this game protects characters from trebuchet rounds, dragon’s breath, and other physical attacks from Kaiju sized enemies that would cause any reasoning person to realize, because of the physics involved, that clearly the magical wards on the armor is what is doing the protection, not the physical form of it.

Debate should be focused on whether having multiple art assets per gender for an armor set is a good idea and feasible. It may very well be, and I certainly support more choices (so long as those assets don’t take away from the minimal development my WvW sees

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

See, MY problem is that all the light armor looks rubbish on female asuras because they don’t show any skin.

I see all these cute flashy armors on my norn and human colleagues and they all look really kittening cute, then when I equip my armor I look frumpy!

This is not okay. If you get to whine about how you show too much skin then I’m gonna whine about how I don’t get to show enough.

Literally the only thing that shows anything is the flamekissed armor set and that’s only because it bares the chest

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

Xenon.4537

See, MY problem is that all the light armor looks rubbish on female asuras because they don’t show any skin.

I see all these cute flashy armors on my norn and human colleagues and they all look really kittening cute, then when I equip my armor I look frumpy!

This is not okay. If you get to whine about how you show too much skin then I’m gonna whine about how I don’t get to show enough.

Literally the only thing that shows anything is the flamekissed armor set and that’s only because it bares the chest

I think Anet is afraid of sexualizing the Asura because they could be seen as “child-like” in appearance.

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

I think Anet is afraid of sexualizing the Asura because they could be seen as “child-like” in appearance.

Nah, I think it’s due to laziness on their part since both use the same body models. Same issue as charr sharing assets

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

Xenon.4537

Nah, I think it’s due to laziness on their part since both use the same body models. Same issue as charr sharing assets

I can hear the artists in Bellevue Washington cringing all the way over here in Tampa Florida…

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You are mistaken. The only thing that determines whether or not something is practical is whether or not it fulfills its purpose. Being revealing has nothing inherently to do with practicality. Does the armor piece provide the necessary level of protection for its type (Light, Medium, Heavy) ? If the answer is yes then it is practical regardless of its appearance.

So the answer is no, then? If we’re discussing the practicality of the Arah heavy armor on a human female, it’s appearance is intimidating and also sexy, but not practical because it’s purpose is to be functional, so it is only filling a secondary desire. And since we’re also talking about allowing males and females to wear both variations of the armors (male with the option to wear female, female with the option to wear male) I think that means you’re missing the point and only trying to disprove something I’ve said by ignoring the subject that’s actually at hand.
Regardless, you are right and I agree. But I was using it more or less as an example that women in the real world, and not in the game, wear clothing that is extremely revealing and thus it confuses me sometimes why when it’s in a video game it’s suddenly offensive?