Goodbye Mr Sparkles due to wrong wording

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Yep, thats rite, due to the wording, I feel a little cheated—again.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-black-lion-wintersday-rewards-event/

At no point in there is there any mention of real world money purchase

Quote—Black Lion Trading Company customers who purchase at least 800 gems will receive an exclusive Green Quaggan Backpack Cover. If you purchase at least 4,000 gems, you’ll receive not only the Green Quaggan Backpack Cover, but also a Mini Mr. Sparkles of your very own!

Only after going onto the suport page there is this Quote: Please note that only gems purchased with real-life money (not gold) qualify for this promotion.

My own fault for being too trusting! Bye Mr Sparkles, should have know it was too good to be true ‘sniff’.

Posted by: Tecca.4036

Tecca.4036

I don’t know, I thought it was obvious, personally.

customers who purchase

In early January, you will receive your gift based on gems you purchase and gem codes you redeem

Both of those kind of indicate that you buy gems with real money since that’s what purchasing is. Converting gems with gold via the trading post would be converting and not purchasing.

I’m sorry you didn’t get them, though. But hey, they’re nothing special anyway! I have mine and I don’t even know what to do with them.

They should just remove the account bound status.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

There wasn’t anything confusing about that. Only when buying gems with real money do you see the term “purchase.” When using in game gold, the terms they use are “exchange” and “trade.”

Shadey Dancer.2907

Your probably rite. However its interesting to note they felt to put in the wording in the support section, indicating that others have been caught out as well.

This is the way I see it—

A guy who sells fruit and veg commissions you to build a wall of x size, length and width, on completion of arrangements he says ‘I will pay you 500 for completion’. You build the wall and the fruit and veg guy pays you 500 apples and pears, not in hard currency.
Is it so hard to make the wording implicitly clear, so everyone is reading off the same page?

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

They were probably just covering their bases because they knew that even with their very explicit and direct wording, that the vast majority of players would understand right away, there’s bound to be someone who doesn’t get it.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Players asked almost immediately and ANet responded real money only. Sorry you didn’t see the myriad of threads asking that question that had links back to their clarification even though for a majority of players it wasn’t needed as the meaning of purchase was obvious.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This was obviously meant to be a reward for people supporting the game. Buying gems with in game gold…not really so supportive.

The people who support this game, are giving Anet money to fix bugs, produce content, keep the game moving forward….so Anet gives them a periodic bonus.

I’m not sure why anyone would think that using in game gold to buy gems would get them an extra bonus. It would have never occurred to me.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The only reason I knew it was real money only was because I followed the threads in the forums. The wording itself was not clear.

customers who purchase

In early January, you will receive your gift based on gems you purchase and gem codes you redeem

Both of those kind of indicate that you buy gems with real money since that’s what purchasing is. Converting gems with gold via the trading post would be converting and not purchasing.

Nice one :P

“kind of indicate” =/= “obvious”

Anyway, we can purchase things in GW2 with either gems or gold, so, yeah. I think this sort of info should be worded in as clear a way as possible and not require forum clarification.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

“If only I’d thought to ask during the sale…”

I’m sorry you missed it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Imho, such rewards for buying gems is always bad behavior ‘love you more’. But I said enough about the cash-shop focus in many threads so I will leave it with that.

Anyway OP. Last times every time they gave these gift of shames (as I have come to name them) they would eventually end up in the gem-store. So you might still be able to get it.

Vayne.8563

Imho, such rewards for buying gems is always bad behavior ‘love you more’. But I said enough about the cash-shop focus in many threads so I will leave it with that.

Anyway OP. Last times every time they gave these gift of shames (as I have come to name them) they would eventually end up in the gem-store. So you might still be able to get it.

Right because a mini and a quaggan backpack, neither of which affects anything in game, is problematical.

Anet is thanking customers who support their game for supporting their game. It would be different if they gave everyone in game gold, or extra power. A quaggan backpack and a mini should be perfectly acceptable.

Devata.6589

Right because a mini and a quaggan backpack, neither of which affects anything in game, is problematical.

Anet is thanking customers who support their game for supporting their game. It would be different if they gave everyone in game gold, or extra power. A quaggan backpack and a mini should be perfectly acceptable.

Heey Vayne,

I think we have had this discussion before already (when they also gave out gifts before). You might not remind it so just a small summary.

First of all people who buy gems get what they paid for, so giving something extra is really the ‘love your more’ idea. I paid my game, even a collectors edition, got all those nice things I did pay for but not a few months later a gift to thank me.

Thats because they are now focusing on gem-sales and as you might remember from talk we had before I do think the gem-store focus they are having (in stead of a expansion-focus) is bad for the game. So they are loving people more that imho are helping to get the game in a worse shape. Might you not remember again why I thouth that focus was bad read it here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 it has nothing to do with the items giving you a benefit or not.

Of course you can say.. Well they do get money from those people so make sense they do love them more. Yeah thats nice but I am still waiting for my change to give them money… With an expansion. So it’s not like I am not willing to give them money. I did sign up for a B2P game and now they are generating money with micro-transactions. Something you mainly expect from F2P games.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Yep, thats rite, due to the wording, I feel a little cheated—again.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-black-lion-wintersday-rewards-event/

At no point in there is there any mention of real world money purchase

Quote—Black Lion Trading Company customers who purchase at least 800 gems will receive an exclusive Green Quaggan Backpack Cover. If you purchase at least 4,000 gems, you’ll receive not only the Green Quaggan Backpack Cover, but also a Mini Mr. Sparkles of your very own!

Only after going onto the suport page there is this Quote: Please note that only gems purchased with real-life money (not gold) qualify for this promotion.

My own fault for being too trusting! Bye Mr Sparkles, should have know it was too good to be true ‘sniff’.

They talk about gem “purchases” and gem card redemption codes, it don’t see any mention of exchanging gold for gems. You assumed it was included when there was no specific mention of gems obtained from the exchange being counted towards the promotion.

You didn’t bother to check, despite having a month to do so, so this is on you.

Posted by: Tecca.4036

Tecca.4036

The only reason I knew it was real money only was because I followed the threads in the forums. The wording itself was not clear.

customers who purchase

Nice one :P

“kind of indicate” =/= “obvious”

Anyway, we can purchase things in GW2 with either gems or gold, so, yeah. I think this sort of info should be worded in as clear a way as possible and not require forum clarification.

I was being polite, so I chose to word my paragraph that way. But you want the kitten way of saying it? It’s so obvious that you need to spend money to get these rewards that thinking otherwise is idiotic.

It is clear. It’s very clear. Read the other posts. You don’t “purchase” gems with gold. You trade, convert, or exchange gold for gems. You don’t purhase gems with gold. You trade 1 USD for 0.73 EUR, you don’t purchase Euros.

Thanks, dude. See, everyone? This is why we can’t have nice things.

(edited by Tecca.4036)

Vayne.8563

Heey Vayne,

I think we have had this discussion before already (when they also gave out gifts before). You might not remind it so just a small summary.

First of all people who buy gems get what they paid for, so giving something extra is really the ‘love your more’ idea. I paid my game, even a collectors edition, got all those nice things I did pay for but not a few months later a gift to thank me.

Thats because they are now focusing on gem-sales and as you might remember from talk we had before I do think the gem-store focus they are having (in stead of a expansion-focus) is bad for the game. So they are loving people more that imho are helping to get the game in a worse shape. Might you not remember again why I thouth that focus was bad read it here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 it has nothing to do with the items giving you a benefit or not.

Of course you can say.. Well they do get money from those people so make sense they do love them more. Yeah thats nice but I am still waiting for my change to give them money… With an expansion. So it’s not like I am not willing to give them money. I did sign up for a B2P game and now they are generating money with micro-transactions. Something you mainly expect from F2P games.

So those actively supporting the game now, who get a nice thank you for doing so, aren’t deserving of it. It’s fluff stuff that’s all. It doesn’t change your game at all.

You’re waiting to support the game, I’m actively supporting it. So I get a thank you for actively supporting it. You don’t get a thank you for actively supporting it, because you’re not actively supporting it.

It’s called a loyalty reward and it’s fine. Other games have loyalty rewards too. Subscription based games have them for buying many months at a time sometimes. They’re not gem store based, but they still offer incentives for buying more time.

I bought more time for Rift and ended up not playing and I did it before incentives to buy game out. I didn’t get a cool mount for buying that time.

This isn’t a problem with buy to play or gem store or subscription. It’s normal for businesses to offer tokens to people who support them, because it’s good business.

No matter your business model.

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

“Trusting?” No, it was lack of reading comprehension. But I would give you mine if I was able to, I don’t care about minis.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

(edited by Trashman.8596)

Posted by: outlaws.6910

outlaws.6910

if i remember correctly wasn’t Mr sparkles only was given to the folks that went to an event ? so now anet gave us a chance to get it and people complaining…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Back at my old MMO someone had a sig that went something like “if the game spat out $100 bills there would by players complaining the serial numbers weren’t sequential or they weren’t random enough”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess it’s kind of nice to see someone complaining that they missed the opportunity to give ArenaNet $50.00.

Usually, people complain about having to spend real cash at the Gem Store. =)

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

When they first released microwave ovens, they neglected to include a warning about not putting pets in them. Guess what happened? There’s always “that guy”.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

if i remember correctly wasn’t Mr sparkles only was given to the folks that went to an event ? so now anet gave us a chance to get it and people complaining…

Not complaining about getting it they’re complaining they don’t understand the difference between conversion and purchase.

Devata.6589

Heey Vayne,

So those actively supporting the game now, who get a nice thank you for doing so, aren’t deserving of it. It’s fluff stuff that’s all. It doesn’t change your game at all.

You’re waiting to support the game, I’m actively supporting it. So I get a thank you for actively supporting it. You don’t get a thank you for actively supporting it, because you’re not actively supporting it.

It’s called a loyalty reward and it’s fine. Other games have loyalty rewards too. Subscription based games have them for buying many months at a time sometimes. They’re not gem store based, but they still offer incentives for buying more time.

I bought more time for Rift and ended up not playing and I did it before incentives to buy game out. I didn’t get a cool mount for buying that time.

This isn’t a problem with buy to play or gem store or subscription. It’s normal for businesses to offer tokens to people who support them, because it’s good business.

No matter your business model.

Like I said again.. It’s not the fact that it’s just fluff. It’s how the focus on it influence the game in a bad way. What you are doing is helping to keep that focus and so you are mainly helping to destroy the game, not to support it. BTW, I am here thats supporting, so while I am waiting to support it with money I am supporting in other ways. Then again, as long as they keep a focus on gem-sales they might never give out an expansion so I might only be able to support this way.

It’s called a loyalty reward and it’s fine. Well thats your opinion. I think it’s rude. “Other games have loyalty rewards too.” That does not make it any better.

“It’s normal for businesses to offer tokens to people who support them” Well I did support them extra buy buying the collectors edition. I did get all the collectors edition stuff.. just like you got the guys you did buy. But I never got an extra bonus thing added to that. Thats because at this moment they are only interested in the gem-sales so thats all they care for and it’s that interest in those gems (cash-shop focus) that is bad for the game.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Bad for the game in your opinion. I like the fact that anything can be purchased with in-game gold, something that would not happen if they only relied on expansions, as they did with GW1.

There are, as you can see, pros and cons to any business model.

Devata.6589

Bad for the game in your opinion. I like the fact that anything can be purchased with in-game gold, something that would not happen if they only relied on expansions, as they did with GW1.

There are, as you can see, pros and cons to any business model.

If you support the game with expansions you can buy everything with gold with the exemption for the expansion itself.

That is because the game is financed with those expansions and not with a cash-shop.

I know there are and I don’t like the cons that come with the micro-transaction model. Thats why I was so interested in GW2. Thinking it would be a proper B2P model that mainly financed there game with expansion sales.

But yeah imo. If this was a F2P game I was not complaining about this. Even if I would be playing it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, you don’t want a model like GW1, where anything in the cash shop was only purchasable with real money. Sounds great for consumers, though I am not sure how financially viable it will be for the Developers. Good luck with your proposal. =)

Shadey Dancer.2907

This thread was started because of a misreading of what was written.

To the people who paid, good on you and thank you for supporting the game.

To the people who have nothing better to do than post vitriolic hate on the forums, I pity you.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Rite
r?t/
noun
noun: rite; plural noun: rites

1. A religious or other solemn ceremony or act.
“the rite of communion”
synonyms: ceremony, ritual, ceremonial

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Devata, the business model for this game was announced prior to launch. You might not like it, and there’s nothing wrong with your refusal to buy gems, but there are other players who are willing to support that business model.

Posted by: ThunderBadger.3049

ThunderBadger.3049

Shadey Dancer, in case you haven’t done this yet, have you tried opening a ticket with support? It couldn’t hurt to try.