Greatswords models in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Hello.

Firstly, I know it’s game and if someone wanted realistic look then there are many much more “problematic” things.

But… is it only me who has problems with size of greatswords? Atm I’m using Foefire’s Essence but it’s still too big and looks stupid when my norn swings it or even during running animation. I’d love to make legendary GS, but they are even longer and much broader, making it a no-no for me :/
Size of most greatswords makes them all look like Zweihänders
The only good looking and sized GS I found are Ebonblade and Cobalt. But you know, I’m average MMO player and using skin worth 3g doesn’t satisfy me xD

What’s your opinion? Does anyone else hope that they add more expensive greatsword with more “realistic” size? Or maybe even new legendary GS (when/if they come – different topic) will be smaller?

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

It would be nice to see some smaller greatswords, or even just less… extravagant ones that seem out of place for mesmers and less bulked-up soldier-profession characters.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

No it is not only you. I too hate the anime-sized swords.

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

I’m also a fan of the thinner greatswords. They’re much more visually appealing in my eyes compared to the thicker ones. My Ranger uses the Ebonhawke GS while my Warrior uses the Sylvari Verdant GS. Both sleek and awesome designs.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

You’re not alone, it’s just preference. I don’t like the wild size of some GS either, well a lot of it is also the shape of it too, I’m not someone who likes outlandish stuff (like fractal gs or jade gs). I love love love the Lionguard weapons and I wish we had some more designs like that – simple but sleek, easy to see that it’s different from other weapons with the golden lion design.

I also really liked the soverign weapons (I wish those would come back), except the GS, that didn’t make any sense.

I just want more GS that look like they can actually fit in a scabbard =)

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

It’s not just you.

I use cobalt on my guardian and the sylvari warden GS on my mesmer. I like some of the Black Lion ticket GSs, but am unwilling to play the lockbox loss-lottery to acquire them.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I like Lovestruck’s blade thickness And these skins aren’t too expensive, but they’re more than 3g, for sure!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I’m with you, Terkov. I’m a bit of a history buff, and a competitive fencer, with a healthy collection of bladed weapons, both real antique and reproduction. I have a Scottish greatsword that’s almost a duplicate of Kymswarden (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Kymswarden.jpg), and the rest of the greatswords in GW2, like the fractal GS, look like butter knives to me (http://culturalconcubine.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/victorian-butter-knife.jpg).

History has some great looking weapons. Why are they not used as inspiration for more weapons n GW2?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

At least there are -some- viable, realistic sized ones. Cobalt and Ebonblade and Kymswarden are the best.

I’ve also done a lot of fencing, when much younger, as well as reeanactment from Vikings to Victorians and beyond. Any time a game offers me armor and weapons that actually make sense, I’m full of joy.

If I ever EVER do a legendary, it sure won’t be one of those bizarro giant slabs that are the GW2 greatswords.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Because historical weapons dont have the visual impact players want.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Well these threads appear quite often so obviously there are players who would like that kind of weapons. Ebonblade is getting a bit old and it would be nice to get at least some new usable models.

The Pointless.3869

Visual impact can still be applied to any weapon based on them. Nobody’s asking for direct copies from history. Just weapons that draw from it as inspiration.

And besides that, sometimes understated appearances are better for some, as opposed to the BFS trope that seems to infect many greatswords in this and other games. An oversized weapon can make or break a look.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Keep in mind perceptive differences between the races as well. What amounts to a “sword” for Norn and Charr could very well be a greatsword to human and Sylvari, especially when some, like mine, are short enough they barely reach the waist of Norn. On the same hand, a sword for a Sylvari may end up being a greatsword for an Asura, and a dagger for Norn/Charr.

The Pointless.3869

Keep in mind perceptive differences between the races as well. What amounts to a “sword” for Norn and Charr could very well be a greatsword to human and Sylvari, especially when some, like mine, are short enough they barely reach the waist of Norn. On the same hand, a sword for a Sylvari may end up being a greatsword for an Asura, and a dagger for Norn/Charr.

Which I doubt really matters, since the weapon scales to the character model.

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Weapons scale so perspective doesn’t matter in this case. Ofc, they scale better to some races than to others – for example asuras have weapons smaller compared to their bodies than other races.
And they can make weapons with good size and shape but still shiny, best example can be Infinite Light (wtb 2h version! :x ).

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

At least there are -some- viable, realistic sized ones. Cobalt and Ebonblade and Kymswarden are the best.

I’ve also done a lot of fencing, when much younger, as well as reeanactment from Vikings to Victorians and beyond. Any time a game offers me armor and weapons that actually make sense, I’m full of joy.

If I ever EVER do a legendary, it sure won’t be one of those bizarro giant slabs that are the GW2 greatswords.

Could not agree more

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/59/Legacy_of_the_Foefire_loading_screen.jpg

The GS featured in this loading screen wielded by the human – that i would love to see in game.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’m with you there all the way. I prefer my character’s armor to look like armor, and their weapons to look like weapons. Sadly, that doesn’t leave me a lot of options in this game.

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

Bloodsaw Greatsword
Bronze Greatsword
Ebonblade
Kymswarden
Krytan Greatsword
Khrysaor, the Golden Sword
Lionguard Sword (greatsword)
Lovestruck Greatsword Skin
Naga Fang
Skybringer
Vision of the Mists
Seraph Greatsword
Aureate Highlander Sword

Are all two-handers you can look into.
Though they tend to have to long a hilt. or a bit to much hand guard frills, they are close to an actual working sword.

And yes there are kitten awful swords out there. Some of them do not even have an edge, and if the design is to be taken as exact- then it should be categorized as a blunt weapon.
In general. I would like to see all the 2handers reduced by about 15-20 cm hilt length
about 5-10 cm blade length. . and for most drop about 2 kg worth of hand guard material.

But I guess they cater for a certain personality as they are… compensating or something.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

You’re not alone. Honestly I feel like if they’re going to add some ridiculously huge swords they could at least make one that is inspired by Cloud’s Fusion sword from the Kingdom Heart’s franchise (the FF is okay too, but I liked the whole bandaged look in KH) or possibly even Sephiroth’s Masamune. I mean, Final Fantasy seemed to get some of the gargantuan sword skins down…ANet needs to take notes.

Twilight does look sexy though, doesn’kitten

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

I couldn’t agree more. This is exactly why Cobalt is my favorite GS. I pulled a second one pre-patch and was keeping it in my bank for precisely this reason. Though I suppose with the wardrobe system it doesn’t matter anymore.

The only exception is my Asura. I purposely chose the smallest Asura frame for my warrior, and for ridiculous contrast I like using the largest GS I can find.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Itd be great if they would raise the weapon and backpack height on Asura so swords aren’t by their knees, and back mounted weapons didn’t clip straight into the floor.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Dawn (or Khrysaor, same skin but cheaper)
Ebon Vanguard Greatsword
Cobalt/Ebonblade
Kymswarden
Aureate Greatsword
Krytan Greatsword

Posted by: Abusive.1849

Abusive.1849

reading this thread made me realize that I’m the only one who likes the GS to be big in size.

Warrior(Main) | Mesmer | Thief
Jade Quarry (NA)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

reading this thread made me realize that I’m the only one who likes the GS to be big in size.

I like large swords, but I like thinner ones too.

Posted by: Fines Juliverine.5846

Fines Juliverine.5846

I also dislike the gw2 greatsword Models… Just Vision of the Mists is really nice in my mesmer, but for my guardian i don’t have a fitting skin… So i built the legendary Sunrise to have the option to change stats. But Sunrise isn’t really beautiful… It is netter than twilight in my opinion.. But to big…

My favourite would be a greatsword in the style of the 1 hand fractal sword..

So i’m waiting for new legendaries hoping there will bei pretty new gs skins.

[Hs]

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

Khrysaor is probably my favorite.

A nice elegant design.

Wish it had some sort of subtle particle effect to go with it.

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

If I want real swords I will go to a museum. I love how absurdly huge Sunrise is, even on my Asura. And I love how big some of them are and how wildly impossible they seem.

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

The only GS I use is the Krytan Greatsword. It’s a nice simple design, not overly large either. It still seems like it’d be in the realm of fantasy but not in an over the top fashion. Sure it’s a mass produced item in the game but it’s one of the best looking imo. Also matches my armor.

I prefer a broad blade on my great sword instead of the thin ones like bronze/iron/mithril great swords though I dislike the super broad blade ones like the pact avenger, fractal great sword, vigil great sword, etc etc. They look pretty stupid on my Human. They even look really difficult to wield which makes me feel uncomfortable watching my character swing it around. O_o

Oh yes they also need to have a point at the end. The ones without the point at the end just remind me of shovels and the like.

Need more low fantasy great sword models. Low fantasy is a thing right?

(edited by Templar.3418)

The Pointless.3869

If I want real swords I will go to a museum. I love how absurdly huge Sunrise is, even on my Asura. And I love how big some of them are and how wildly impossible they seem.

And again, nobody’s asking that ANet take away your precious Sunrise. Character customisation is all about choice, and the more choice, the better.

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

Real world Gratswords are up to 2 meters (78.74 inches ) long. I think in game greatsword resemble that length quite ok.

There are also many skins similar to real greatswords, most just don’t choose too use them because they look too plain.

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Hello.

Firstly, I know it’s game and if someone wanted realistic look then there are many much more “problematic” things.

But… is it only me who has problems with size of greatswords? Atm I’m using Foefire’s Essence but it’s still too big and looks stupid when my norn swings it or even during running animation. I’d love to make legendary GS, but they are even longer and much broader, making it a no-no for me :/
Size of most greatswords makes them all look like Zweihänders
The only good looking and sized GS I found are Ebonblade and Cobalt. But you know, I’m average MMO player and using skin worth 3g doesn’t satisfy me xD

What’s your opinion? Does anyone else hope that they add more expensive greatsword with more “realistic” size? Or maybe even new legendary GS (when/if they come – different topic) will be smaller?

Doesn’t the ascended greatsword basically fit all categories you are requesting here?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/9/9d/Ascended_Weapon_Colors.jpg

Reasonable shape and size and hella expensive comparatively.

The Pointless.3869

Real world Gratswords are up to 2 meters (78.74 inches ) long. I think in game greatsword resemble that length quite ok.

The length isn’t really the problem, I don’t think. Just the bulk.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Actually, I’m fairly convinced that you’re a part of the majority.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Why is everyone posting sleek smaller greatswords glossing over Greatsword?

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Show me a GS in this game that looks even half as badas as those.

Attachments:

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Bloodsaw Greatsword
Bronze Greatsword
Ebonblade
Kymswarden
Krytan Greatsword
Khrysaor, the Golden Sword
Lionguard Sword (greatsword)
Lovestruck Greatsword Skin
Naga Fang
Skybringer
Vision of the Mists
Seraph Greatsword
Aureate Highlander Sword

Man I LOVE Skybringer. Rocked it for quite a long time.

Most of the non-exotic skins are thinner, if that’s what you’re looking for. With the wardrobe you can check em out and switch back later if you don’t like them. This is a great list. Also worth checking out:

The Basic Greatsword
Darksteel Greatsword
Dhuumseal
Ebon Vanguard Greatsword
Foefire’s Essence (if you like effects on it)
Ghastly Greatsword (a personal favorite)
Golden Greatsword
Mithril Greatsword
Naegling

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

(edited by HyruleanHyroe.1473)

Alice.8694

http://i.imgur.com/cuF8a.jpg

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

I actually haven’t had any qualms with the size of Greatswords, however I use them on bulked up characters.

I do however, hate how large 95% of the daggers look on my female/human thief. I went with the sai’s because they look somewhat decent in her hands. She’s not a small human either, I have her just a touch under the maximum height and she’s a muscular build. Most of the daggers would pass for swords on her.

The Pointless.3869

That is just all kinds of wrong. O____O

Alice.8694

That is just all kinds of wrong. O____O

What’s the matter? Do you want that charr’s meat?

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

OP, the problem is that you’re playing a Norn. Their awful animations make the GS look even worse.
I personally love the huge, bulky GS. But I also like the thinm sleek GS as well.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Mistforged Heroes Mace

The obvious shinyness/ornateness aside (unless we’re talking decorative pieces from the times they were used) of course it’s a pretty historical looking weapon.

The Heroes weapons (that you get from WvW at the end of the season with tickets) look somewhat realistic.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I like the greatswords that actually look like swords, and not giant slabs of rock faces or stuff like that.

That said, GW2 does seem to have a nice mix of available skins. Like some other posts pointed out here, there are a fair number of functional-looking greatswords.

I’d like to see some more functional looking ones with subtle particle effects, kinda like Cobalt but less pronounced on the effect, but overall I’m satified with the options available.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Crixler.2857

Crixler.2857

Regarding your zweihander comment, they look like zweihanders because they literally are. It’s German for “two handed (sword)”. Aka greatsword.

That being said, I agree that most of the greatswords in this game are too over-the-top. My favorite is Khrysaor, but I’m too cheap to buy it. It’s moderately realistic, without looking generic. Skybringer’s all right, as well. But the legendary greatswords? No thank you.

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

The armor, weapons and to some extent the flamboyant skills, are Anime driven. That won’t change. NcSoft is an Asian held company and that is their prime market. There are some “normal” looking weapons on the cultural vendors. For example: The Ebon vanguard has very nice looking weapons IF black and gold and silver match your motif. The new outfit system can lend itself to help if it is tweaked a bit. Funny some of us where standing around wishing we had the armor skins from Guild Wars 1, in GW2. I really miss the Kurzick armor!

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Want a smaller greatsword? Roll an asuran!

My greatswords look like toothpicks.

Little red Lioka

The Pointless.3869

The armor, weapons and to some extent the flamboyant skills, are Anime driven.

If that were the case, wouldn’t our characters be screaming out the names of every skill? o.O

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

The armor, weapons and to some extent the flamboyant skills, are Anime driven.

If that were the case, wouldn’t our characters be screaming out the names of every skill? o.O

Please don’t give them any ideas. I can see it now, we wear red robes and yell “backlash wave” (inuyasha). My reply meant to say the armor and weapon styles seem to be influenced by Anime. Over sized swords etc. Seems all mmos do this. Really breaks western immersion though.