Grinding is Fun with anti farming mechanics?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

Anet have always said their game is about having fun, and I agree with them gaming should be about having fun.

But I’m not, everything you want in regards to armour or weapons is all about grinding, whether its Karma, Lodestones or badges of honor, in a period of around 7 hours I got 1 Lodestone, ( and I was wearing as much MF gear as possible with food buff), does Anet seriously believe this is a fun element of their game?

WvW I received 2 badges after completing my monthly, just 2?

Karma gear, requires how many hours of grinding the same content over and over to get a full set of gear @ 42,000 a piece? seriously Anet?

With Anet putting an anti farming bot mechanic into the game just makes the mind boggle and is slowly but surely just making me want to uninstall.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

Posted by: Essa.5826

Essa.5826

Their DR system punishes the wrong playerbase (the regular players, not the bots).

FSP

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

With no answer to the topic, I have come to a personal conclusion that it is an effort to prolong the life of the game and to prolong the time a player will play.

Its sad that innovation of the whole genre has been delegated to this. There will always be grind, but the DR-code multiplies the grind and the time needed to hit personal goals.

Minion

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I rewatched their manifesto. Took out some choice words to put in my forum signature.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Kimhyuna.1035

Well it seems like they deleted the petition thread.
What does this say to its customers and their ‘important’ players?

Minion

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

Your thread might have been merged, or otherwise. Really, there are a ton of threads on this topic already, they’ve got a pretty good idea of what the forum visitors feel about the system by now. Anything else you wanted to discuss could’ve been added to any of the existing threads. It’s not too strange to see them cleaning up the forums.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

This thread will get deleted.

“Quick, silence the playerbase. ONLY HAPPY THOUGHTS ON OUR FORUM, LALALALALAA.”

I’ve already written several responses on the subject to now-deleted threads, so the time for constructive feedback is seemingly over as it will not be heard.

Sad Arenanet, sad.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: Warheart.8143

Warheart.8143

24/7 Botter QQ = DR everything I wish Anet would concentrate on MORE CONTENT…I shouldn’t be bored 1 month into an MMO…And besides what Bot is going to ruin GW 2’s non existant economy? Im fairly certain that a kitten script bot program is not farming more then 1g an hour if even that much with the rough terrain in this game and no flying mounts highly doubtful…

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Where is the other thread? xD

Fine, just fine.. To ignore the problem will not solve it.

Eivene.9127

This thread will get deleted.

“Quick, silence the playerbase. ONLY HAPPY THOUGHTS ON OUR FORUM, LALALALALAA.”

I’ve already written several responses on the subject to now-deleted threads, so the time for constructive feedback is seemingly over as it will not be heard.

Sad Arenanet, sad.

A quick glance will tell you there are far more negative threads out there. This claim of censorship is just unfair. It doesn’t make for happy forum browsing to see 20+ threads on the same issue.

Sanctum of Rall

Navi.7142

WHY have we been censored? For what reason??

Raap.9065

Then merge the threads? Deleting threads with feedback in them is not a good way to deal with your customers.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: Voidspawn.1934

Voidspawn.1934

It’s such a shame that a company can make such a great game..and then kitten it up with stupid things like this..

Eivene.9127

Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Kimhyuna.1035

Like with all things, we can only take our dissapointment with us and perhaps reach out to another community (like REDDIT) in the hope this issue is looked at, and that we get a word from someone from ANET.

At this very moment, the seem desperate to ignore it or to let it die, if it can ever die.

Minion

Navi.7142

Normally if they merge threads we get a private message which leads you to the “new” thread. Also I can have a look in “See all messages by..” and see my posts, even if they merged them.. but it is empty as I had never posted them.

Raap.9065

Normally you get a message that the post is moved to the ‘Trashcan’ section, which is most forums is sort of like a reserve incase a thread needs to be saved or put back later. This was a complete deletion or a bug in the notification system.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: Warheart.8143

Warheart.8143

Like with all things, we can only take our dissapointment with us and perhaps reach out to another community (like REDDIT) in the hope this issue is looked at, and that we get a word from someone from ANET.

At this very moment, the seem desperate to ignore it or to let it die, if it can ever die.

What do you expect Anet to do? There’s been 100+ new threads a day crying about Bot’s so they DR’d everything to make you run across the map or log out for a couple hours till ur DR reset.

Kimhyuna.1035

What do you expect Anet to do? There’s been 100+ new threads a day crying about Bot’s so they DR’d everything to make you run across the map or log out for a couple hours till ur DR reset.

Maybe a simple reply saying it is working as intended?
Maybe an explanation as to why it wasit was introduced 2 WEEKS INTO LAUNCH?
Maybe a reply stating that it is only a temporary fix to the botting problem so prevalent in Tyria atm?
Maybe a simple ‘we are discussing the current complaints with the higher ups and looking at what we can do going forward’?

Anet prides itself with public interaction that most MMO’s wish they could have, but why are they dodging such a talked about topic as you have stated?

If your only insight to the problem is for me and others to ‘stop crying’ about a very obvious problem, then you have already closed yourself off to any negatives the game can have.

Minion

Navi.7142

And another thread disappeared? ;-)

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

I’m not expecting Arenanet to do anything, I just find it bewildering that they create a game based on farming and grinding content, then have a drop rate that is so low and then implement an anti farming mechanic that is suppose to hurt bots but is actually just frustrating the player base. I don’t claim to be technically minded so am not sure how or if alternative ways are viable as a preventable measure, other than to constantly monitor data. Maybe proactive GM’s could be the better solution?

The other issue that I think is hitting home right now, is that the communication from Anet seems to have dissolved to what we had before release, and that is rather a sad affair considering how they portrayed themselves during some media interviews. Slightly off track, but needed to be said.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

(edited by Cod Eye.1632)

Eivene.9127

I don’t think the system is necessarily bad. All it does is prevent you from running the exact same content over and over again. Meaning that if you move from event to event, mob to another mob, zone to zone you really shouldn’t run into the DR wall at all.

It’s an incentive to keep moving through the game. Now, it’d be a problem if an item can only be found on one mob in one zone, but the main issue lies in the fact that pre-80 zones don’t have the same rate of high level drops and rewards as the 80 zones do, so there is less of an incentive to move around. If they tweak that, there shouldn’t be any problems.

Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Eivene.9127

Yes, I understand and no, I don’t think that’s good. Sorry that I didn’t make that clear in the previous post. I wasn’t arguing that it works fine as it is. It has issues. I just think that with tweaking and fixing (in order to prevent exactly the scenario you mentioned), there shouldn’t be much of a problem. They could stretch the time limit, the parameters, etc. in order to make it work as intended.

Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)