Guesting is Coming

Guesting is Coming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaskra.6940

Jaskra.6940

Yeah, well, you can blame the people who abused the weekly transfers for WvWvW purposes. It’s always the jerks that ruin it for the many.

The abuse was stopped by making transfers having a 7 day cooldown. People can’t just jump to the winning server all the time anymore, like they did when transfers were unrestricted. Large guilds leaving their servers for greener pastures – the new ‘feature’ isn’t going to stop that at all. It’s not like it would now magically stop bandwagoneer guilds to migrate to a different server once in a while, no?

Sorry, but I’d beg to differ. The two servers I’ve seen go ghost were after the 7 day cooldown was enacted. People didn’t care about the cooldown. They’d see how WvW did, then if it proved to be terrible they’d move the next week. Simple as that. And making it cost gems will pause some folks. Constantly transfering will be expensive in-game and in real life. I’d imagine they’ll make it cost as least as much as a new character slot. Not everyone in a guild is going to be able to afford to move, and I doubt the guild itself will pay for it lol. I’m hoping it works. I feel bad for the people who want cross region. I’m on an oceanic server so I don’t have that probelm. Hopefully they’ll modify that aspect and make it work between all the servers.

Jaskra Ryonative ~ Mesmer
Meredith Nic Éssus ~ Necromancer
[Blackgate]

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Meia.6907

Meia.6907

Well I guess you kinda expected to have another infraction point with your post but at least it was awesome thanks for the laugh.

And yeah we are complaining, but I think that people came up with some solutions as well who could probably be implemented. A we will look at what can be done will surely calm everyone for quite some time and will let some time for Anet to think until the new announcement they make (makes me think of back in the days when I was a moderator in some online game=p)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: CaptainFabulous.8410

CaptainFabulous.8410

My goodness people on this forum are a HUGE bunch of whiners. You demand everything and when you get something, you complain it’s not enough. If you keep complaining and ArenaNet decides to pull the plug, what will happen to your precious cross server game play then? You’ll have to move on to another game to do nothing but complain about.

ArenaNet are doing what they can, in a time frame that they can realistically do it in to make people happy. What do they get? The biggest bunch of whiners I’ve ever seen.

Wah wah I’m on an American server and can’t play with my EU friends … change servers then. It’s not that hard. If all your friends are on EU (or US) servers, and you want to play with them, change servers. Don’t give me the whole “oh but I’m in the US so being on a foreign server will be too slow” rubbish – I’m in Australia and have to use a US or EU server, I don’t have a choice of a server in the southern hemisphere, the amount of hops it takes from AU to US is far larger than from the US to EU.

Seriously, there is no pleasing some people. At this rate the amount of whiny little brats on this forum, I wouldn’t be surprised if ArenaNet doesn’t decide it’s not worth it and pulls the plug altogether. Your perceived sense of entitlement is astounding for a $60 game.

Careful, that’s infraction worthy. Not sure why. Not constructive. Trolling. Off-topic. I’m sure the mods will come up with something.

Unless you’re bashing Anet anything you say is apparently infraction-worthy.

Oh, and just so this post isn’t considered off-topic:

I for one am grateful for the new feature. Thank you Anet. I have friends on multiple servers who have been unable to get all in the same place, and it will be nice for all of us to reliably and consistently play together. Kudos!

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

To answer the question about guild influence:
You will gain guild influence on the world you are guesting on.

So what is the advantage of Guesting over, say, a transfer that can’t participate in WvW (which is what we have now, right?)?

I can go to a different server to play with friends but not progress my Guild in any way. What you have done is made the community make a choice between Guild and Friends. Is that truly how a “Global Community” is supposed to work?

With the ability to be part of up to 5 guilds – considering you are playing with your friends on a different server, you can be in their guild and advance that guild.

The same was true when you transferred a server or were in an overflow server, so I do not see how this is perceived as a “new” issue?

(edited by Martin Kerstein.3071)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

There’s no WvW conflict between EU and NA. Why not let players have 1 home world in each region?

Let players transfer between their two home worlds for free (can limit frequency). And keep guesting within each region as planned. This should address the transfer vs guesting processes between the data centres.

Doing things this way too, would tend to get regular groups to concentrate in either EU or NA where they can all meet up cross-server. This gives the people who need a way to play with different groups a way to access both regions.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Let me explain to you why you cannot guest on worlds in another region.

There are two databases: European player data is stored in our European datacenter, American player data is stored in our American datacenter. This is to ensure that people in these regions can still properly play in case there is an issue with the connection between the datacenters.

When you do a world transfer from the US to the EU (and vice versa) your player data is transferred from one datacenter to the other. This is not the case with guesting, as you are still “registered” on your home world.

I understand that some of you are disappointed that you cannot guest on worlds in another region, but considering the complexity of internet routing, our main priority is to ensure that players have as much of an uninterrupted game experience as possible, which is the reason why we have two datacenters.

On another note: I will try to get an answer to the guild influence question that has been posted a couple of times.

Thanks for the update. Is there any reason why that data cant be copied across until the guesting is complete. Just like server moves?

As mentioned above, many of us would rather wait 5 mins for a copy and have a little more ping than to have a flat out never.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

There’s no WvW conflict between EU and NA. Why not let players have 1 home world in each region?

I imagine having copies of character data of every player on both EU and NA servers isn’t a efficient use of server storage capacity.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

There are two databases: European player data is stored in our European datacenter, American player data is stored in our American datacenter. This is to ensure that people in these regions can still properly play in case there is an issue with the connection between the datacenters.

When you do a world transfer from the US to the EU (and vice versa) your player data is transferred from one datacenter to the other. This is not the case with guesting, as you are still “registered” on your home world.

I understand that some of you are disappointed that you cannot guest on worlds in another region, but considering the complexity of internet routing, our main priority is to ensure that players have as much of an uninterrupted game experience as possible, which is the reason why we have two datacenters.

On another note: I will try to get an answer to the guild influence question that has been posted a couple of times.

I understand you have your reasons for it, but I fundamentally disagree with them. If you can’t make guesting work in a satisfactory way across regions, then find a way around it. Seriously. Create International servers anyone can guest to. Allow free transfers without WvW. Anything!

You’re stepping all over us who were expecting to be able to play with our international friends, and what you’re saying amounts to “tough luck”. I thought ArenaNet was better than this. :/

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: TSLlol.4879

TSLlol.4879

In that case… Just leave EU → US server transfer free without a time limit? It really sucks playing on EU servers in the midnight, while you could be playing on US servers where there’s actually life at that time of day…

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: perfect.5198

perfect.5198

With the ability to be part of up to 5 guilds – considering you are playing with your friends on a different server, you can be in their guild and advance that guild.

The same was true when you transferred a server or where in an overflow server, so I do not see how this is perceived as a “new” issue?

It’s not new. I’m sorry it came across like that. And you are right, we could join up with the friend’s guild and progress that guild.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

-p

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

If that is the case then you need to work very hard at figuring out the solution. This isn’t it.

So… Create a third data center, call it international and allow people who want to choose to create their home world there to do so. Or, allow cross-region guesting to instances such as dungeons and fractals. Or, do something else that works for your system but allows people in different regions to play together.

I’ve heard it said that Mike O’Brien is a network God. Surely he can figure something out.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

This is ridiculous. All you people sitting here whining and complaining about something great that Anet did for us. Half the people seem to not even have read the whole thing based on the ridiculous questions they are asking.

Thank you Anet for implementing it. It’s a shame we can’t NA/EU cross but it is what it is. I still appreciate the effort and the diligence to get this done.

RIP in peace Robert

Guesting is Coming

Warder.3491

This is ridiculous. All you people sitting here whining and complaining about something great that Anet did for us. Half the people seem to not even have read the whole thing based on the ridiculous questions they are asking.

Thank you Anet for implementing it. It’s a shame we can’t NA/EU cross but it is what it is. I still appreciate the effort and the diligence to get this done.

Ridiculous? That I’m unhappy that it makes my situation worse? I have a friend in Australia who I will never be able to play with now, starting Jan 28, after ArenaNet implements this. And you suggest I should be grateful?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

I imagine having copies of character data of every player on both EU and NA servers isn’t a efficient use of server storage capacity.

Ursan, it’s a good point. From the dev post I was under the impression the EU-NA transfer moved the data, so only one copy would be taking up space at any one time unless a transfer was in progress.

So to clairfy, give each player 2 home servers, 1 EU and 1 NA with only one of the two active at any one time. A full transfer is required to switch, just happens to be free between these two only. Set a frequency limit to something resonable for data concerns and player concerns.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Jaskra.6940

Jaskra.6940

There are many reasons why your suggestions are bad one. If it were “just that easy” they would do it. But they can’t. It’s something that you and others are just going to have to accept.

I don’t want to start a huge fight with you, but suffice saying that I find it funny that you’re saying that my idea is oh-so-bad for oh-so-many reasons, but you fail to point a single one of them out. Your entire line of reasoning is “Whoever is disagreeing with the devs must be wrong.” and "Whoever is disagreeing with the awesome things they give us is a “drama queen” (to use your own words). I am not sure I want to discuss on that basis, so this shall be my only response you will get.

If you want to play with your EU friends you can always transfer to an EU server, and then back to a NA server to play with them.

Yep, that will SO solve the problem!!!

“EU player: Kimy, want to play a dungeon with us?”
“Kimy: But of course! Can you wait 5 days, because my transfer is still on cooldown? Pretty please?”

Not sure there is a lockdown between EU/NA on dungeons between servers? The ANet posting wasn’t that specific at this point. At least currently you can dungeon with people on different server. (I know this because I had a guild officer invite someone into guild they did a dungeon with and that person ended up being on an entirely different server.) So at least at this point as far as anyone can tell based on the current information this won’t affect dungeons, because you’re effectively instanced and on another server to begin with. I’d wait for details if you’re primarily concerned about dungeons grouping.

Jaskra Ryonative ~ Mesmer
Meredith Nic Éssus ~ Necromancer
[Blackgate]

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Not being able to guest in NA is extremely disappointing for me, since I was looking forward to finally play with a friend over there again. Isn’t it possible to temporarily copy the data to the other datacenter or something like this? :/

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Jay.2684

Jay.2684

The problem is that in Guild Wars 1 we made friends all over the world (I, at least, made friends in both America and Europe) and could play with both.

Guild Wars 2 is all about cooperation and playing with your friends, but I can’t continue to play with the same whole group of friends because of different regions. I’m a European playing on an American server right now (the latency is fine, never noticed any lag) so I can play with a big group of American friends with whom I’ve spent hundreds of hours in the first game, it’s great. However I also have more local friends (and ones in other European countries) who play on European servers, and I basically can’t play with them, or I’m abandoning my guild for a week, and vice versa.

I understand the technical difficulties and limitations, but I would be fine with being locked out of my home world for the duration of the guesting so that my character’s files wouldn’t have to be located in two different datacenters, just so I could spend a few hours doing a dungeon with friends. Basically turn guesting into a very temporary and limited transfer, and I’d be happy as can be.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Eve.4819

Eve.4819

There are many reasons why your suggestions are bad one. If it were “just that easy” they would do it. But they can’t. It’s something that you and others are just going to have to accept.

I don’t want to start a huge fight with you, but suffice saying that I find it funny that you’re saying that my idea is oh-so-bad for oh-so-many reasons, but you fail to point a single one of them out. Your entire line of reasoning is “Whoever is disagreeing with the devs must be wrong.” and "Whoever is disagreeing with the awesome things they give us is a “drama queen” (to use your own words). I am not sure I want to discuss on that basis, so this shall be my only response you will get.

If you want to play with your EU friends you can always transfer to an EU server, and then back to a NA server to play with them.

“Kimy: But of course! Can you wait 5 days, because my transfer is still on cooldown? Pretty please?”

Not sure there is a lockdown between EU/NA on dungeons between servers? The ANet posting wasn’t that specific at this point. At least currently you can dungeon with people on different server. (I know this because I had a guild officer invite someone into guild they did a dungeon with and that person ended up being on an entirely different server.) So at least at this point as far as anyone can tell based on the current information this won’t affect dungeons, because you’re effectively instanced and on another server to begin with. I’d wait for details if you’re primarily concerned about dungeons grouping.

No, we euros have never been able to do a dungeon with people on american servers, and vise versa. You can do dungeons with people on the same continent but different homeworlds, just not from the other continent

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: CaptainFabulous.8410

CaptainFabulous.8410

Well I was trying to keep it concise, but ok.

If you allow someone to copy to another data center for guesting purposes you either have to move the data or copy the data. If you copy the data that means 1 account is taking up twice the space. Multiply that by up to 3 million accounts and that’s an awful lot of wasted space.

If you move the account then it’s no different than doing an actual world transfer, which removes you from your current server and will not guarantee you a spot to return to when you’re done guesting.

So that’s 2 reasons right there.

I’m not saying you can’t disagree or dislike things the devs do. But assuming you know better than they do, or that they’re somehow lying to you, or purposefully doing things kitten is simply unfair and uncalled for. Why is “we know you can do it, you just don’t want to” always the first place you and others go when you’re told you can’t have a feature you want? Do you think the devs sit around a big table and dream up things to implement in ways that they know will annoy and frustrate people?

I mean, is it really so hard to accept that there are technical limitations that simply do not allow the feature you want? Or is that not possible? That everything and anything can be accomplished if the devs just try hard enough, no matter how much time, energy, or money it takes, and whether or not the cost grossly outweighs the benefit and at the exclusion of everything else?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Mashaiasu.1085

Mashaiasu.1085

With my limited knowledge of networking and routing protocolls I do get why cross region guesting is a bad idea, but how about ‘splitting’ accounts cross region ?

Let’s say I have 5 characters in EU and when I ‘guest’ over to NA I have to make a new one. If all those characters are stored in the NA datacenter, it shouldn’d be a problem.
Not being able to play with your normal characters is troublesome, but atleast we can play with our cross region friends.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m really excited about guesting and the upcoming changes, but I was really looking forward to play with a NA buddy again while I’m EU.
I’d be happy if something can be done so it is possible for me to play cross region, but if not I say thanks anyway.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: RWinter.1680

RWinter.1680

I am glad to see guesting in some form.

But you need to remember that, when it comes to community, if something like this makes the RP community upset, then you’ve probably done something wrong.

RPers are some of the strongest community glue you can have in a game, and why I make TC my home, even though I don’t RP. This won’t affect me directly, but I definitely feel for the people who I am around every day, who will be affected by it.

Also, I would make gather nodes flagged globally per character, like chests. That solves overflow/guesting node-farming problems.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: FreeLampie.5349

FreeLampie.5349

Your missing what they are saying.

In the current way that the routing is done, it isn’t possible to guest on to another region because they are on two separate data centers. Look how long its taken them to develop guesting in the first place, the game has only been out since August. I think guesting in other Regions if Arena Net are stating that the routing would be complex and reading in between the lines saying that it would interrupt game time is a BAD idea. , if you have players that are on a NA server go join them.

Heck, for all the comments that are acting like you know better than Industry Professionals, where all the Network Admins, game developers and so on not commenting & why aren’t any of you working for Arena Net?

I honestly don’t understand the condrum, got friend on US server go play with them=Server Transfer
Got friends on the Eu Server go play with them=Server Transfer
Got friend on both? =Tough go and become a Server Guru and solve it for Arena Net I’m sure they will buy you your legendary for you.

Zelhar"

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Vivik.8259

Vivik.8259

I think that if we will not be able to guest on an EU server that we should be able to at least create a character on an EU server. The US does not WvW EU servers so I don’t see any conflict as far as WvW goes. I know there are other things that I’m probably not thinking of though…

I like the idea of being able to guest. I just think the free world transfers every 7 days were given a bit too long and now people are upset it’s getting taken away.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Juicy.9174

Juicy.9174

After reading most of the posts here, people have alot of good ideas, yes. Though I also understand how alot of them can be problematic. Really, the best suggestions I can think of (or have seen here) are:

1.) Split accounts, I.E. different characters for EU and NA. It would allow you to play on both servers without data transfer, just switching which data server you were connected to.

2.) Make a third data center which allows connectivity to both. Unfortunately though that causes more issues because you now can’t guest to NA or EU.

3.) Figure out a way to have NA guest on EU data center by means of restricting their access in a small way so that you only have to hold a portion of the data for their account. I’m not sure how this would work, but just trying to think outside the box.

4.) Allow NA players one EU server that they can have free transfer to once every (insert time break here, probably a week). Visa versa for EU players. This would allow NA players to play with EU friends if they go to EU, or if their NA friends stop playing etc. etc. Would also allow them transfer back if their NA friends got back into the game or if their EU friends stopped playing.

Of course, there is always the option to leave it as is because lets be honest… Even if my EU friends got the game, I’d be content just talking to them about it. I would rather have a strong game with content updates than have A-net spend 3 months trying to make this possible. It’s not to say they aren’t trying to make it possible but don’t have the time at the moment either. For all anyone knows, this could be in the works but not nearly completed – we know A-net doesn’t like to confirm something is being worked on if it is not a certainty it can be done.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Exiled.6901

Exiled.6901

My goodness people on this forum are a HUGE bunch of whiners. You demand everything and when you get something, you complain it’s not enough. If you keep complaining and ArenaNet decides to pull the plug, what will happen to your precious cross server game play then? You’ll have to move on to another game to do nothing but complain about.

ArenaNet are doing what they can, in a time frame that they can realistically do it in to make people happy. What do they get? The biggest bunch of whiners I’ve ever seen.

Wah wah I’m on an American server and can’t play with my EU friends … change servers then. It’s not that hard. If all your friends are on EU (or US) servers, and you want to play with them, change servers. Don’t give me the whole “oh but I’m in the US so being on a foreign server will be too slow” rubbish – I’m in Australia and have to use a US or EU server, I don’t have a choice of a server in the southern hemisphere, the amount of hops it takes from AU to US is far larger than from the US to EU.

Seriously, there is no pleasing some people. At this rate the amount of whiny little brats on this forum, I wouldn’t be surprised if ArenaNet doesn’t decide it’s not worth it and pulls the plug altogether. Your perceived sense of entitlement is astounding for a $60 game.

… this is just so wrong… its not about the lag in US servers, its about the empty world you will experience during EU play time. Now you say “But you have friends there, play with them” but 10 friends wont give you what persistent world mmo is about – players all around you. Is it so much to want both this things at the same time?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

For those of you complaining about them not doing this exactly how you want it and saying things like “Well make a 3rd international data center”. Do you even know how expensive it is to build/create a new data center? You want them to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a new data center just so you can play with your friend from another continent?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I dont think they sat back and went ‘lets find yet another way to annoy our customers’ I think what we’re seeing is the limitations of the game’s architecture which seems to be based around the importance of WvW(before you refute it, look at how many game mechanics have been compromised because of WvW).

I know it’s possible to do massive OLTP across datacentres. Companies do it with more data, less latency and with more precious data all the time.

You dont need to create another datacentre. All you need to do is create another environment or use load balancing(which the Anet tech talk tells us is fantastic) to create a space where people can go.

Heck, why not make overflows multi region for that matter.

I don’t think anything but a ground up redesign will solve it which is at this time seems very unlikely.

We’ll never know the reasons ofc to reveal that would be to give out Anet’s IP.

If you have an established guild you cannot move to a server as all your upgrades and influence will go. Why? WvW of course.

The game world, the community and in game possibilties have never seemed so small tonight.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: DragoTheWise.7256

DragoTheWise.7256

Good! I’m glad you folks are going to get this into the game soon Keep up the good work!

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: escalantek.2586

escalantek.2586

This question may have been answered, so sorry if anyone’s heard it before already.l

When you are guesting, can you gain experience still? Complete quests? Complete maps still? Will that show up when you go back to your world?

And can you do dungeons while guesting? and keep the treasures you find?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Yes, you can do all of those things.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Guesting is Coming

Warder.3491

For those of you complaining about them not doing this exactly how you want it and saying things like “Well make a 3rd international data center”. Do you even know how expensive it is to build/create a new data center? You want them to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a new data center just so you can play with your friend from another continent?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: No, not necessarily. What I want is for them to solve this situation – how they do it is less important to me. I want to be able to play with my friends, as was strongly implied that I would be able to before the game was launched. The very fabric of an online game – especially an MMO – revolves around being able to play with friends. Now I’m being told that no, I can’t, unless I fork up an unspecified amount of money each and every time I want to play with them. I don’t find that acceptable in the slightest, and want them to resolve it.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Being in my current guild, guesting will finally allow me to play with other members. I am slightly dissapointed that this feature will not be available in W3 (WvWvW). W3 is the other side of a GW2 coin. Martin Kerstein, do you know why this was not implemented? Also can you give us an idea of the costs for transfering?

Thank you for bringing guesting to us. Appreciate it.

Cheers,

D_R

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Yue Tamashii.7526

Yue Tamashii.7526

so basically I still can’t play with all my friends, all my friends who are on a different server are on a server on the other region but I don’t want to change region cause then I’ll loose the ability to play with my friend on the server I’m on now …

this type of limited guesting isn’t worth one bit, at least not for me …

why not make a copy of the characters you play when guesting over to the other region and synchronize it when ending the guest playing for that time?

Guesting is Coming

Loosifah.4738

You do realize that a lot of games don’t even allow you to play on servers from another continent, right?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

You can play with your friends. You have 12 days to move to the same region, and then you can play with them as much as you want. ANet is being very generous by having let us have free transfers for so long, the burden is on you now to coordinate with your friends so that you can play with them, not ANet.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Guesting is Coming

Loosifah.4738

All these complaints are basically just asking them to spend a ton of money to please you. This isn’t pay to play, they’re not receiving $15 from 3 billion players every month to pay for all these things.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I understand Arenanet’s technical limitations and reason for two datacenters, but that just makes me wonder how it all worked so perfectly in the original Guild Wars.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: ChefChadG.8620

ChefChadG.8620

here is the thing none of you who are wanting to go to the other region is cosidering the more distance between u and the data center the more lag you will have then you will be on here complaining about the lag……so be happy we can atleast play outside of our own worlds

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Stella Polaris.4617

Stella Polaris.4617

I’m sorry, but that did NOT explain why it’s impossible to allow guesting between continents, to me it just sounds like it’s too much work for you to implement. I’m very disappointed.

Guesting is Coming

Yue Tamashii.7526

Arenanet has the knowledge of solving this unless they messed completely, just look at gw1 there it was possible to play with friends from all over the planet without any limitations. So why go from that to this …? they say gw2 where going to be a social game but as I see it gw2 just split up everyone who became friends in gw1 saying that we can’t play together any more …

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Zuumaru.8512

Zuumaru.8512

I’m not computer expect but talking to a few other people on this matter to try to understand the situation here is what I get.
According to the dev post there are 2 data centers NA and EU. If there had been one data center for all transferring would have been easier, however there are downfalls to that. EU players would probably lag a lot more. I’m not saying all would, I’m sure there is some guy on a really good comp saying, No I do that in other games and it’s just fine. But The majority would probably have problems and then it would be another can of worms.
It’s like with anything, you are going to get your pros and cons. I don’t think there would be any solution that would not have some downfalls to it.
And I’m only guessing as an outside source, much like the rest of you because I don’t work for Anet, I don’t work for any gaming company, I don’t claim to know the complicated knowledge of exactly where my data is or what it’s doing as it moves around.
All I get from the very basic of answers being Devs, and other people I know that have more knowledge on this then me is “Yes they COULD do it, BUT there would be problems if they did.”

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

You do realize that a lot of games don’t even allow you to play on servers from another continent, right?

The problem is that there was this game called Guild Wars that allowed exactly this.

ANet is being very generous by having let us have free transfers for so long

Nothing to do with generosity and everything to do with guesting being missing from the game for so long.

Guesting is Coming

ChefChadG.8620

in the original GW no one was ever in the other regions they were ALWAYS in american

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Wombatt.2546

Wombatt.2546

Currently you can join with players from another server in order to do dungeons and fractals, I would assume that would not change, right? Only the ability to run around in general PvE and kill boars in the forest, plus WvW?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Sundays.2807

Sundays.2807

Feel like the guesting feature is too little too late.

Many rolled on worlds during launch with the assumption guesting was only a few weeks delayed.

Turned into months. With no definite timetable given by Arena.net.

Most of my guild and friends no longer even play the game. There is little to no benefit now for me.

A huge “meh” at another sloppy feature of Guild Wars 2.

Guesting is Coming

ChefChadG.8620

as always you cant please every player of guild wars

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: kokabel.5728

kokabel.5728

Seems there’s been a lack of proper transparency.

If the issue is the data-centres, ArenaNet must have known this to be the case for a good while, and have neglected to let the community know. There are guilds split over different regions purely because they expected cross-region guesting functionality. Before game release, it was never specifically said that there would never be cross-region guesting, people were left to assume it would magically appear at some point. I understand the technical limitations, but you should have been clear about them from the get go – people would be less upset.

Plus the GW1 community has come to expect cross-region functionality – it was one of the things that made GW1 so great (either through International Districts, and eventually through easy-as-pie district hopping). This seems like a huge leap backwards, and I’m disappointed that no one seems to want to at least create some sort of workaround – international guesting server is an idea I’ve seen bounced around that may actually be feasible. You’re a modern company, surely you understand that people have friends all across the world, and region-barriers are the domain of the old-school MMO?

Much sadness here, and from the community overall. This is a real blow to an otherwise excellent game.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

finally i can get my legendary.
or in other words: i can guest to a server where the temple of balthasar isn’t bugged for weeks…

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Guesting is Coming

Loosifah.4738

And this is what happens when you start making assumptions based on another game.

Guesting is Coming

Yue Tamashii.7526

Feel like the guesting feature is too little too late.

Many rolled on worlds during launch with the assumption guesting was only a few weeks delayed.

Turned into months. With no definite timetable given by Arena.net.

Most of my guild and friends no longer even play the game. There is little to no benefit now for me.

A huge “meh” at another sloppy feature of Guild Wars 2.

about 50% of my friend who got guild wars 2 hoping to be able to play together has also stopped playing the game because of the inability to play together

few of us are playing other games just to be able to play together …