Guesting is Coming

Guesting is Coming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Dear devs.
Yes its really nice to have guesting. I tried that yesterday just to see how its working.
Well, im really disappointed.
After transfer i noticed i lost ALL guild upgrades and all influence points. Thank you. I got almost all upgraded and i wasted lot of money for licenses. Really good job.
There is no info about it at your website. Why?

I want all back. TY

First of all, guesting isn’t in yet. You can still transfer freely (with a week cooldown). So, next week, go back to your old server and all your guild upgrade and influence points are still there. (guesting will be implemented on the 28th, so you better go back before that time).

Second, once guesting is in, you’ll still earn the guild influence for your home server, not for the guesting server. I presume the guild upgrades of your home server will also still count.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: tropenfrucht.8963

tropenfrucht.8963

I have one question about guesting.
Can you guest on any server in your region or are you limited to the servers you have someone on your friendlist from that server? I remember reading somthing like this during beta.
And guesting is definitly free?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I have one question about guesting.
Can you guest on any server in your region or are you limited to the servers you have someone on your friendlist from that server? I remember reading somthing like this during beta.
And guesting is definitly free?

You are limited to two servers in 24 hours (not sure if it’s 24 hours or reset on a set time, such midnight GMT) They dropped the requirement for friends.

And yes, guesting will be free. If you want to do WvW on another world, you’ll have to transfer, and that will cost gems.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Medarr.7193

Medarr.7193

For those of you whining about this… do you have any idea how much it costs to keep servers synced between continents? No you dont its readily apperant from your posting. You also dont seem to realise its not simply a matter of sending the data from one data center to the other, not do you seem to realise the issues with global routing, peering of tier 3 networks, BGP and several other issues that crop up when you try to do this globally. Ya all sound like spoiled kids. wha wha I could do this in GW1.. well GW1 isnt GW2 you assume they work the same network wise but they dont.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Boban.7013

Boban.7013

Dear devs.
Yes its really nice to have guesting. I tried that yesterday just to see how its working.
After transfer i noticed i lost ALL guild upgrades and all influence points. Thank you. I got almost all upgraded and i wasted lot of money for licenses. Really good job.

I want all back. TY

First of all, guesting isn’t in yet. You can still transfer freely (with a week cooldown). So, next week, go back to your old server and all your guild upgrade and influence points are still there. (guesting will be implemented on the 28th, so you better go back before that time).

Second, once guesting is in, you’ll still earn the guild influence for your home server, not for the guesting server. I presume the guild upgrades of your home server will also still count.

TY for your info.
So after 28. all influence from my actuall Home server will be transfered to new server if i stay there? With all guild upgrades ect.?
If yes, im OK wit that.

Ranger 80, Warrior 80, Thief 80, Mesmer 80, Guardian 80, Necromancer 80, Elementalist 80,
Engineer 80, 2nd Thief 30

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Comicus.4036

Comicus.4036

I am one of the 1000+ members of Mara. Sorry, 500+ members now, because 500 of them just got cut away permanently by not being able to play on the US servers without transferring. How is this not a broken promise? How is this ‘supporting the community’? I can be, normally, accused of being a ‘fanboy’ with my regard for Anet and both GW and GW2, but this is backward.

@ Medarr. Ok, I do not know the costs associated, I do not realise the issues they face. But this does not change the fact that we were misled. If it was never going to be possible to play anywhere across the data centres, we should not have had it implied or stated otherwise.

If we had known this, it is highly probable that we would have made a decision for the whole guild (3 guilds we are split into now), to be on one server, IN ONE REGION, and accepted that some lag issues may occur. That option is now only possible if we all transfer to Yak’s Bend and start more guilds there. Doing this means losing everything that we have built up on Gunnars hold. Some options, eh?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

For those of you whining about this… do you have any idea how much it costs to keep servers synced between continents? No you dont its readily apperant from your posting. You also dont seem to realise its not simply a matter of sending the data from one data center to the other, not do you seem to realise the issues with global routing, peering of tier 3 networks, BGP and several other issues that crop up when you try to do this globally. Ya all sound like spoiled kids. wha wha I could do this in GW1.. well GW1 isnt GW2 you assume they work the same network wise but they dont.

So… AN completely changed their story on how guesting would work AFTER taking our money (while leaving the original statements still up on their FAQ and website for extra facepalm points) but yet we are the “spoiled kids” for not lapping it up?

I don’t know if I should mock or pity you.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

So… AN completely changed their story on how guesting would work AFTER taking our money (while leaving the original statements still up on their FAQ and website for extra facepalm points) but yet we are the “spoiled kids” for not lapping it up?

Don’t take the bait, it’s not worth it. Not only does he exaggerate the difficulty involved (though there is a certain difficulty involved, I will not deny that), he presents that solution as if it’s the only one available. There have been many others, some better, some worse, presented in this thread, and there are yet many others that remain unexplored. ArenaNet are good at what they do, they can come up with ways around this. It’s just a matter of whether they choose to or not.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I see no break in promises on this. At no point did ANet say that guesting would be available between European and American servers, just that guesting would be an available option. It may be nitpicking on specifics, but at no point did they go into exact details on exactly what guesting would entail.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: rEaPeX.8415

rEaPeX.8415

and what about the heart of the mists? can you join there if you are guesting?

R E A P E X – Necromancer – EU

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Glitch.6849

Glitch.6849

I see no break in promises on this. At no point did ANet say that guesting would be available between European and American servers, just that guesting would be an available option. It may be nitpicking on specifics, but at no point did they go into exact details on exactly what guesting would entail.

I think this is what people are annoyed about. During progress I don’t like the fact we were given no details on guesting until now. I do not have the time to organise a movement of 300 in the time frame in my current situation.

Yes I can accept this however do not like that I was kept in the dark about any details. They knew guesting was being implemented and would be done successfully, why couldn’t they provide at least some information prior to the release.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Tirick.7042

Tirick.7042

I’m part of a 1000+ member worldwide guild (MARA), and with this we are now completely severed from our EU guildmates. It is hard enough having to split into three separate guilds due to size limits, with no in game communication tools between guild members (alliances, for example) , but now we are forced into a situation where we must choose a between permanent shared region (with the representative constant latency loss), or continuing to remain apart. All along the impression was that guesting would be cross-server capable, and we’ve been patiently waiting to be able to link up with our ‘old world’ friends.

This is terribly disappointing.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

They said we would be able to play on any world we had friends in:

http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

That article also covers the regions and transferring between regions if they didn’t intend to let people guest between regions they should have said it then.

This is not an insurmountable problem, there are many different ways they could implement this (synchronising the servers like Medarr.7193 says is the most obvious, ham-fisted way but not the only way) but they’re unwilling (or unable) to put the effort into exploring those different options so they’ve chosen to just say it can’t be done and wait for the complaints to die down.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Anomander.6290

Anomander.6290

What a lousy job Arenanet!
Splitting up long lasting International Guildwars communities has been bad already where multi region friends could no longer play together because of the data center implementation you people have chosen. That is so not from this modern world any more with cloud solutions for businesses where it doesn’t matter where your data are; you can access them from anywhere.
People can’t play with there guild friends any more just because they are on an other continent and the guesting we were waiting for so long is NOT solving the problem you created in the beginning.
So maybe in the end this will drive everyone to be on American servers only to artificially solve this problem for you.
Once again: bad job.

Guesting is Coming

Amulrei.4973

Don’t take the bait, it’s not worth it. Not only does he exaggerate the difficulty involved (though there is a certain difficulty involved, I will not deny that), he presents that solution as if it’s the only one available. There have been many others, some better, some worse, presented in this thread, and there are yet many others that remain unexplored. ArenaNet are good at what they do, they can come up with ways around this. It’s just a matter of whether they choose to or not.

Yeah you are right. Just makes me wonder what goes though people’s heads when they actually see the need to actually defend AN actively screwing the player-base like this.

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

Yea, the any world part was the big mistake.

I’ve been crippled trying to help others, I am lucky that I have others to rely on for spreading the help over at NA but it’s very heartening to not able to assist personally aside from sending over 250stacks of tiered mats via mail…

So thanks but no thanks I won’t lie down and be stepped upon.
If anyone with relevant experience with networking etc I would be interested about the ideas that could be implemented to make this work.

Anet I feel is a good company but the way things are handled really tarnishes the whole company outlook.

Guesting is Coming

Medarr.7193

And how much data centers have you seen on the inside? Or how many tier 3 peers have you worked with? Do you even know what you’re on about?
If you think that making a global network that syncs data between data centers is easy then please give me your contact details so I can hire you. I could use good network architects.

And as an example google rolls out its own fibre optics network to sync data between their data centers this should tell you that its not as straight foward as it appears. Theres a lot more going on in the background then you think.

(edited by Medarr.7193)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

And how much data centers have you seen on the inside? Or how many tier 3 peers have you worked with? Do you even know what you’re on about?
If you think that making a global network that syncs data between data centers is easy then please give me your contact details so I can hire you. I could use good network architects.

And as an example google rolls out its own fibre optics network to sync data between their data centers this should tell you that its not as straight foward as it appears. Theres a lot more going on in the background then you think.

Friend, your competence is not at question here, nor is mine of any relevance.

The point is that you’re pointing out flaws and problems for a solution that is far from optimal, and making it sound like the problem is unfixable. The truth is, it’s not. It can be fixed with technology that GW2 already has, without bothering with trying to synchronize between datacenters. There are many creative solutions out there, but for some reason you choose to focus on the one solution that, while possible, is the most difficult of all in an attempt to actively campaign against EU/US guesting. Your stance can’t possibly be of any gain or benefit to you, so why do you pursue it?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I think google has a little more data going through it than GW2 :p

Not every problem needs extra hardware to solve. 9/10 times application changes can get the job done. Upgrading infrastrucutre is the last resort to getting something fixed, not the first.

What I suspect happend is that they were given some technical boundaries and some game mechanic restrictions. E.g We are finding linking two datacentres too hard and WvW must come first no matter what.

What then happend is that they tried for months to get it work within these constriants and failed and instead of changing the game mechanics rules they either were’nt allowed to or ran of time/money

It’s the WvW requirement that’s stopping people transferring where and when they want. Simple solution is remove WvW from the equation then do that. I.e Decouple WvW from your home server

It’s more a question of what their priorities are and atm it seems to be one game type above the wider, global community.

What I do know is that many,many times Anet have told us something was impossible in GW1, like reconnects, appearance changes and account restorations.

These were solved by them thinking outside the box, applying some innovation and desire to do better for their customers.

I really hope that same spirit has’nt gone.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

(edited by Shanaeri Rynale.6897)

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

Well apparently WvW > Community then.

Why not straight up tell us about the region problems ages ago instead of now?

If WvW was disabled I’d be happy but you’ll get massive QQ from the WvW pro’s. Community from my eyes doesn’t seem very important to them but it was important to me, now it just seems like a wasted everyone’s time setting up the Union Thread over at PhP.

Guesting is Coming

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I’m not against WvW in any shape or form. Just that there has to be a way to have both. The ability to transfer to whatever server you like and protect the interests of WvW.

We can also transfer wherever we like, launch proved it. The hardware, the infrastructure indeed most of the software is already there, done on the table.

It cannot be an insurmountable problem. As I said, Areanet have proved they are smart and can look at things another way.

Time to put the cape and tights back on ..

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Could we get an official answer about the main complain here?

Are you looking for a solution for this?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: KatiesAura.5928

KatiesAura.5928

Dear devs.

I want all back. TY

the patch hasnt gone live yet its next weekend?

I may be your guardian angel but I don’t have the ability to walk through walls

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Dear devs.

I want all back. TY

TY for your info.
So after 28. all influence from my actuall Home server will be transfered to new server if i stay there? With all guild upgrades ect.?
If yes, im OK wit that.

Sorry, but no. Guild influence is earned and spent per server. If you transfer to a new server, your influence does not go with you. If you merely guest to a new server, then you are still linked to your home server guild and its influence.

You need to transfer back to your original server when possible. After the 28th you will be able to guest out.

Guild warrior for life!

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: tethyr.6513

tethyr.6513

I’ll start by saying up until now I’ve been taken away with just how amazing GW2 is. From the environments, to the characters, to the story, and on, it’s truly remarkable, but then it all comes screeching to a halt with the way that Guilds were implemented.

I really do not understand ArenaNet’s philosophy behind forging communities where a single Guild can be scattered across multiple servers and regions, and resources earned are inconsistent from one to the next.

And now blocking the ability to play with US/EU friends we’ve made with lockouts, Gems costs — that only adds insult to injury. A seven day limit when most nights you discover you want to play with X friend is just utterly unreasonable.

Most of us have been anticipating that guesting would actually be a solution, not an extension to the existing problem.

It would seem like the most prudent thing to do would be to re-examine the architecture of how a Guild functions and make it so they work across all servers for PvE the same, but can only represent ONE world for WvW. Then lockdown the number of Guilds an account can drop-and-join per year and add a gem cost to that.

There should be NO barriers whatsoever to playing with whomever you want for PvE, nor should each server be accruing different amounts of Influence for the exact same guild. I sincerely hope y’all reconsider what you’re doing with Guilds, even if it comes after this patch.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Flax.4980

Flax.4980

So let me get this straight; Will your choice of home server ONLY affect WvW?

I pretty much never do WvW with my guild but would like to participate on a more competitive server, so are there any negatives to changing my home server for WvW purposes and guesting in my guild server for PvE?

Sorry if this has already been asked (this thread is huge).

Guesting is Coming

Medarr.7193

Friend, your competence is not at question here, nor is mine of any relevance.

The point is that you’re pointing out flaws and problems for a solution that is far from optimal, and making it sound like the problem is unfixable. The truth is, it’s not. It can be fixed with technology that GW2 already has, without bothering with trying to synchronize between datacenters. There are many creative solutions out there, but for some reason you choose to focus on the one solution that, while possible, is the most difficult of all in an attempt to actively campaign against EU/US guesting. Your stance can’t possibly be of any gain or benefit to you, so why do you pursue it?

I think you mis understood the point I’m making. In responce to a lot of peoples posting I tried to point out that it isnt as simple as plugging a cat5 cable into the wall and presto.

And while its certainly not impossible to fix this you have to ask yourself is it worth the time and effort to implement this? Now obviously players like us will say yes however the techies over at Anet will likely have a different view on the matter.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Sir Cusfreak.5971

Sir Cusfreak.5971

“For those of you whining about this… do you have any idea how much it costs to keep servers synced between continents? No you dont its readily apperant from your posting. You also dont seem to realise its not simply a matter of sending the data from one data center to the other, not do you seem to realise the issues with global routing, peering of tier 3 networks, BGP and several other issues that crop up when you try to do this globally. Ya all sound like spoiled kids. wha wha I could do this in GW1.. well GW1 isnt GW2 you assume they work the same network wise but they dont.”

Ok. You’ve pointed out the things you think we don’t realize. Allow me to return the favor, as I believe there are a couple things you don’t realize as well. (one being if you’re going to use big words, use spell-check too. Its built-in for Kittens sake.)

I’m part of an international alliance that have been playing together for SIX YEARS. We’re friends. We play this game together. We have 8 guilds. Each and every guild has members from across the globe; no exceptions – no guild from only one country or one region. We have members from the US, Canada, France, England, Germany, Hungary, Turkey, Trinidad and more. One of my friends, an Officer in our guild for years now, is in Hungary. Sometimes, he will transfer to NA server for a day or two, we’ll do some dungeons, he’ll go back to EU server. The lag is too bad to stay permanently. After the 28th, we can’t even do that without a fee. (twice. Lag still included.) This is just one small example of how this implementation is going to negatively impact just one group in one guild in one alliance.
There are many more who are far, far better off with things as they are today, then they will be after this update. All thoughts of “Fixing” aside – guesting, as it’s described now, will be worse than no guesting at all. Any guild who has cross-region members are losing. We’re not just not gaining – we’re taking a very nasty hit. Do not expect anyone in the international community to be glad about this. They’ve basically eliminated our alliance – which we were willing to try to work around, but splitting my guild is not something I’m going to appreciate in the slightest. Do I sound ungrateful? GOOD. I AM. I’m Very KITTEN ungrateful for it. So for now, our friends will gather on a server, and we will have an “ANET Basically Screwed Us” party with a guild banquet table and some fireworks. Then everyone can go back to their home worlds where the game is playable and watch them build the walls that keep us from continuing to play together and then maybe we’ll sit and ponder and consider how we sure did sound like spoiled children.

Guesting is Coming

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

And right there is why the effort to fix this is worth it.

This is’nt about game mechanics, or content or nerfs or anything like that it’s about the fundimental reason why people play MMO’s. Being with friends no matter where they are to enjoy each others company in virtual worlds. Worlds that somehow bring diverse cultures, nations and people together with a unfied purpose. To have fun and take their minds and hearts away from the 9-5 and somewhere inspiring.

That is real community, and why the ‘Tyrian Curtain’ of guesting is such a bad decision and should be revisted before being locked down.

As mentioned in the blog Arenanet is “Community focussed” which means community is a priority right?

Is community just a nice PR buzzword to toss around in blogs or is it something that actually matters? I guess we’ll find out on the 28th.

To paraphrase JFK “Ich bin ein Tyrian”

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Azure.4856

Azure.4856

I’d like to add another voice to the ‘please find a way for players playing on the North American servers and those on European servers to play together’. I am part of a multinational guild, and the fact some of the members must deal with lag issues constantly, or are online in off-hours and can’t get dungeon groups easily, is greatly discouraging them.

A Guesting mechanic, a dual home world mechanic, it doesn’t matter – ANet knows best what it can pull off with the tech they can access – there’s undeniably demand for this.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The question is: WHY did they choose to make 2 different databases instead of one while Australia and Philippines are at similar distances from US as Europe is and they can play in US without major problems? Why did the Europeans need a different database?

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

Is it always like this?

When people are imo justifiably annoyed there’s little response as of now.
I want to understand what other barriers are involved, why the reasons to not implement cross region and why it isn’t feasible the whole reason not dumbed down. Or if it might be possible in the future or the problems for putting it in.

I’d like more frequent responses on this and not having this just brushed under the rug.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Sir Cusfreak.5971

Sir Cusfreak.5971

I think a lot of players would be satisfied by several readily-available options, the first being – please don’t implement this iteration of guesting. Take it back. “Ok, we thought we had a cool toy that would build community and add a feature that would benefit our game – turns out that helping the regional communities, it damages the international community in a way we don’t want, so until we can manage a different way to do that, we apologize for the false-alarm, and we’ve rescinded this decision.” That is an incredibly respectable approach. No one is losing out big if they move fairly quickly. (sorry, but regional servers can already play together, being able to do DEs together isn’t that big. It’s just not.)
Letting one group of players benefit from a feature that another group doesn’t benefit from is fine. Harming one group so another can benefit in a way they don’t even need? That’s not.
Otherwise, assuming they’re not willing to do that, then any of the suggestions that allow ANY form of international play without paying to permanently switch home worlds would fix the problem we have. (international servers de-coupled from WvW, cross-server play for instances only, some other network solution, whatever – we’ll take it. Not gonna be picky about it.)
But putting in this version of guesting is damaging to every guild with members cross-region, and it’s not right.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

I must pick you up on this. I can assure you that international banking architectures handle this sort of mirroring every day at negligeable cost.

This is a killing blow to the international guilds and demonstrates a very poor consideration of the social aspects of the game.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Guesting is Coming

Amulrei.4973

But putting in this version of guesting is damaging to every guild with members cross-region, and it’s not right.

And right there is the long and short of it.

I really couldn’t care less how easy or hard it is. AN has been hyping this feature up since months before launch, telling us we can play with our friends anywhere in the world then suddenly spinning a completely different tale once our money is in their pockets.

The whole situation is reeks of dishonesty and laziness. Worst of all, it is going to put a sledge hammer though the community. The fact AN have sat there and let international guilds/alliances form for months without giving a single word of warning only to stab them in the back out of the blue is little short of complete madness. I really wish I could see AN’s motive behind this move because I am at a complete loss what could be worth poisoning so many people’s faith in the game and company like this.

Guesting is Coming

Medarr.7193

Stuff

Insults aside you just made my point. Thank you.

This " Sometimes, he will transfer to NA server for a day or two, we’ll do some dungeons, he’ll go back to EU server. The lag is too bad to stay permanently. " IS the reason.

Guesting is Coming

Medarr.7193

I must pick you up on this. I can assure you that international banking architectures handle this sort of mirroring every day at negligeable cost.

This is a killing blow to the international guilds and demonstrates a very poor consideration of the social aspects of the game.

This is entirely irrelevant since banking transactions work over TIER 3 networks which are fibre optics.

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

@Amulrei This is actually how I feel at this moment. It just comes across as very lazy with all the hype etc we were given. The start was cool, now they just frustrate me.

Guesting is Coming

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I hate to say this. But this response from the community would be entirely predicted by the ‘suits’ at Anet even before it was announced. they knew what outcry the ascended weapons patch would cause but did it anyway.

Pulling the patch or changing it to allow a limited form of multi region play (e.g just like now) would indeed be the sensible thing to do.

But I cant see it happening. The decision has been made, the spin put in place and the hubris-o-meter set to maximum.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Terra.9837

Terra.9837

Hi,
Not sure if I have read answer to this, but may I ask, when does the ‘guesting’ session end? Do you physically have to swop back to your homeserver or guest to another server?

Or are you automatically returned to you home server on log out/disconnect?

Thanks

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

So they don’t care about us?
Cause it sure feels that way.

1. commenting and responding to #6897

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Cosine.1786

Cosine.1786

I’d like more frequent responses on this and not having this just brushed under the rug.

They’re already said it’s not possible, so it’s not possible. This thing that is demonstrably quite possible, and indeed, something they have successfully implemented in a previous title just simply can’t be done! It only took five months of hand-waving and saying ‘eh, we’ll get to it eventually’ to work it out.

It’s absolutely maddening how much I was looking forward to this feature and how much Anet are simply going to put their fingers in their ears until the complaints stop.

Guesting is Coming

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

They’re already said it’s not possible, so it’s not possible. This thing that is demonstrably quite possible, and indeed, something they have successfully implemented in a previous title just simply can’t be done! It only took five months of hand-waving and saying ‘eh, we’ll get to it eventually’ to work it out.

It’s absolutely maddening how much I was looking forward to this feature and how much Anet are simply going to put their fingers in their ears until the complaints stop.

The thing is, people have given loads of alternatives that would work. Suggestions that require no hardware chanages at all and would use the systems already in place. Systems that have and were proven at launch when traffic was far greater than now.

The only thing required would be to make WvW not a factor and protecting nodes/world events from being farmed. Both logically, far easier than infrastucture changes.

9/10 issues of this nature are resolved in software, not hardware.

Anet has a history of pulling off what they previously called impossible. It just needs the will, passion for the community and willingness to throw the rulebook away to do so.

If community really is at the centre of everything they do. As mentioned time and time again by all sorts of devs then perhaps it’s time to make that more than words and into a reality.

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

As said there are other alternatives. I wantwant to know why those aren’t possible either.

Yes I understand the separate datacentres but why aren’t the other alternatives possible? Or have they simply dismissed them? (I have some small faith to believe they did not)

I do understand the current situation but why aren’t the alternatives feasible?!
Putting their fingers in their ears? I’ll hold and keep posting as usual. I can be one patient troll if I have to…

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Sancho.5649

Sancho.5649

It’s often been said by A-Net that the social aspect of the game is of great importance to them, however this implementation of guesting unfortunately contradicts that. In GW1 it was very easy for EU and NA players to game together and, as a result, many guilds (like the one I belong to) formed with members from both zones. The separate EU/NA servers of GW2 effectively forced us to split such guilds (because who wants to play on a server that is dead during their peak playing hours?) but my guild had faith that the promised guesting would provide a workable solution to that. But unfortunately it sounds like this will not be the case and the separation of EU and NA players is now much more permanent. Not happy, ArenaNet, not happy at all…

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

^ Yea… My group were like this. Now I just feel like I gave them the finger myself. They say they would never change it and neither would I but it still feels like I’ve wasted their and my own time.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Our GW1 (and now GW2) guild is transatlantic. Because of real-life issues such as sleep-time, work-time, play-time; most players opted for a world in their region. Now our guild is looking at the new wall.
I understand the technical issues, but this just doesn’t feel right.
Our guild is populated with members in both regions.
It will soon be only a glorified friend list for many members.
This was not a good decision.
The poster that talked about 2 home servers (1 per region) is probably the best compromise I have seen yet on this topic. Please fix this.
Thanks.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

Hey Glitch! Snap out of it!

I understand and share your frustrations as my earlier posts have also shown.

But, forming Union, or any other international guild, was not a waste of time. If there was any fingering done, it very clearly originated from Anet who couldn’t be bothered to either get the feature right or give the community a heads up.

And what everyone here, and especially the kitten suits at Anet need to understand is the guilds and the friends you’ve formed here can tanscend this game. Sure GW2 is a common platform and a good place to meet, but if Anet messes it up badly enough there is nothing to stop a guild or group of friends from going wholesale to someplace else. Perhaps a gamer driven project without the big corp behind it like the Discovery Freelancer community. Or to the next commercial MMO that comes out. Kitten, I’m about to ask if any of the guildies play bloody Terraria.

And this is the point isn’t it? People will go where they can play with their friends and have fun. No amount of tech, graphics or newness will save a multiplayer game if it cuts people off from who they want to play with.

So Glitch, you started a community. A strong one with great people. Much like many other international guilds I would think. We’re all here because we enjoyed some aspect of GW or GW2. That doesn’t bind us here by any stretch, because there are so many games and even other things we can move onto should Anet not come through.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

My understanding is that while guesting to “full” servers, guests will still be put on overflow, but I have a question.

On my own server, which is full pretty much all hours of the day, there is only one zone that ever has an overflow: Lion’s Arch. I will be transferring to a server of similar population and guesting to my old server, however, what’s the deal with overflow?

My old server is “full”, am I going to be put in overflow zones, or what’s the deal with that? Seems nonsensical due to there only ever actually being one zone that overflows. So what gives? Cause if I’m always going to be in overflow when guesting to my old server, I will probably not want to transfer at all.

Guesting is Coming

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Just read this about Dust 514 om the wiki. "Dust 514 will be connected to Eve Online’s single-shard server. The complexity of running two games on one server proved to be a unique challenge for the developers. To mitigate any performance issues that this might have on either of the two games, CCP has designed a server architecture such that the majority of Dust 514 gameplay will be run on various “battle clusters” across the world. These server clusters will handle all the latency sensitive first-person shooter aspects of Dust 514. The main Eve cluster, located in London, will only communicate with Dust 514 for information such as character names."

FPS games are much more sensitive to lag than GW2 so while it’s probably far too late to change stuff it goes to show that with some lateral thinking this stuff is eminently do-able.

But we need to focus on what’s achievable now, with what we have rather than what might have been.