Guesting is Coming

Guesting is Coming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gray.9502

Gray.9502

I’m sorry this was probably asked before. As much as I want to read every page, I won’t have the time >.<. Could anyone(if possible a mod, but any opinions will be much appreciated) please tell me if the following will be possible with guesting:

A: Pick Ehmry Bay for a home world to WvV with my Ehmry Bay wvw guild.

B(My main concern): Guest in Isle of Janthir and be able to manage the PVE (banners, guild boosts etc) /guild bank/and recieve the PVE guild bonuses(karma magic find etc) as an officer in my Isle of Janthir PVE guild. While my char is on the Isle of Janthir, of course.

Thank you very much!

Ace Bloodseeker[CRIT]

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: BAWW.8104

BAWW.8104

Would like some clarifications on appropriate/acceptable use of guesting.

1) Guesting to harvest resource nodes that normally have 1-day cooldown. Since we’re allowed to guest on 2 worlds a day (which I assume it’s on top of our homeworld), this is effectively tripling (or at least doubling) the number of T6 resources I can gather a day. Is this OK?

2) Guesting to farm dragon/chest events. These normally have very long cooldowns, but with guesting and appropriate timing, the number of times I can access these events in a day are increased. Is this OK?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Sir Cusfreak.5971

Sir Cusfreak.5971

BAWW wrote:

Would like some clarifications on appropriate/acceptable use of guesting.
1) Guesting to harvest resource nodes that normally have 1-day cooldown. Since we’re allowed to guest on 2 worlds a day (which I assume it’s on top of our homeworld), this is effectively tripling (or at least doubling) the number of T6 resources I can gather a day. Is this OK?
2) Guesting to farm dragon/chest events. These normally have very long cooldowns, but with guesting and appropriate timing, the number of times I can access these events in a day are increased. Is this OK?

Server-hopping for extra gatherings & extra dragon chests, and dividing the international guilds look to me like the entire two intended purposes of the gusting feature. These are the inherent design features, so they must be the primary uses meant. If there’s any other benefit anyone could gain from it remains to be seen, though it is doubtful. Hope this helps.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: BAWW.8104

BAWW.8104

Server-hopping for extra gatherings & extra dragon chests, and dividing the international guilds look to me like the entire two intended purposes of the gusting feature. These are the inherent design features, so they must be the primary uses meant. If there’s any other benefit anyone could gain from it remains to be seen, though it is doubtful. Hope this helps.

Not sure if sarcasm… >_>

It’s pretty clear the intended purpose of guesting is simply “play with friends”. The splitting up of international guilds, and this increase in access to resource nodes and treasure chests, are just side-effects.

I recall some people screaming “exploit” when they realized others had repeated the karka event multiple times via overflows. Server-hopping to farm other treasure chests, albeit less lucrative, is practically the same thing.

As for resource nodes, we’re basically going to see a doubling/tripling in supply without a corresponding change to demand.

It’s not hard to see the potential impact these can have on the market, but it’s not for me to decide if these are acceptable or not, hence my request for official clarifications.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: ReiKen.9783

ReiKen.9783

if i guest to a different server.. I wont be able to join wvw… how about heart of the mist? will i be able to guest the heart of the mist server/map?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: CorvusRex.8349

CorvusRex.8349

When will this be implemented? I switched servers to Tarnished Coast because I heard it was pretty good, but I liked Anvil Rock more. I did it only 2-3 days ago, so if this is implemented before my seven days are up I won’t be able to switch back without paying… :/

Borlis Pass. Corvus Rex.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

ArenaNet say they listen to their player base. Here it is. Listen and at least delay and reassess these changes for now.
I’ve yet to speak to one person in game who agrees with it. Reading this thread there are multiple issues that need careful consideration.
Server populations need to be adjusted properly to reflect active players not just registered players. SBI is still showing as ‘High’ yet it most certainly is not. The same would consequently apply across all servers.

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

yeah it seems SBI has cleared out in the past few hours. Been looking for fractal group, and i have had no such luck since coming back from dinner. there is noticeably less lag in Lion’s Arch right now, and i suspect many players are jumping ship, as to regroup for free while the option is available. i am in the same guild as Siliconmana (at the moment), and i hope that my guild leaders come back on to decide our guild’s fate soon.

i sure am going to miss all the fun players in SBI. I do already, and there seem to be only a handful left around, until they possibly move to new homes.

(edited by rgrwng.4072)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Angra.1405

Angra.1405

…… disappointed would rather have the free world transfer than guesting now at least that way i could play between na/eu now i’m unable to play with my na friends

i thought the whole point of guesting was to help people play together i mean generally pve speaking the eu can already do fracs/dungeons together anyway and the rest of pve wasn’t really designed for partying or organised group work so guesting hasn’t helped much i thought the one thing it would help with WAS to bridge between na/eu but it seems you plan on making this game split where neither na or eu can play with the other….

seriously disappointed get your act together Anet this aint what it was promised

What is love~ Oh baby, don’t hurt me~
Don’t hurt me no more~ Doo dooo doo doo doo

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Glitch.6849

Glitch.6849

I quite interested on the alternatives others have given. I would really appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable would explain to me the problems with setting up the suggested alternatives, benefits or why it may not be feasible.

I think they already know my displeasure. I. AM. NOT. VERY. PLEASED.

Some sort of official response would be cool but I’d appreciate if any other players more knowledgeable can answer it.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

(edited by Shanaeri Rynale.6897)

Guesting is Coming

Sir Cusfreak.5971

Not sure if sarcasm… >_>
It’s pretty clear the intended purpose of guesting is simply “play with friends”. The splitting up of international guilds, and this increase in access to resource nodes and treasure chests, are just side-effects.
I recall some people screaming “exploit” when they realized others had repeated the karka event multiple times via overflows. Server-hopping to farm other treasure chests, albeit less lucrative, is practically the same thing.
As for resource nodes, we’re basically going to see a doubling/tripling in supply without a corresponding change to demand.
It’s not hard to see the potential impact these can have on the market, but it’s not for me to decide if these are acceptable or not, hence my request for official clarifications.

Yes my response is sarcasm. Sort of. To be honest, I actually thought your question was sarcasm as well. I apologize. (really.)
As for the real intended purpose of guesting being ability to play with friends…I think it probably was at one point, originally, but this iteration fails at that so spectacularly that I just can’t imagine how anyone could think this version would accomplish that goal. I can’t see it being ‘pretty clear’ as the intention, because it doesn’t do that. I don’t consider them splitting my guild as a side effect - that’s an effect. If there was some other, larger effect that was also happening, then it would be, but there’s not. No one gains the ability to play Guild Wars 2 with anyone they can’t play with today. But a lot of people now have entire servers full of people they can never play with again. So while I worded my response in a fairly sarcastic manner – every word is true, from my perspective. I honestly do see this and added gatherings as intended effects – they know exactly what they’re adding.

EDIT: The ‘loyalty’ idea is a very, very good one, Shan.
I doubt they will limit gathering in any iteration of guesting, but who cares? When talking about the important stuff like the complete elimination of anything that could even be called ‘international community’, if Johnny Joe wants to swing a pickaxe on 3 worlds a day, great. Enjoy your Ori, Johnny. Johnny Joe wants to kill Jormag nine times a day. Neat. Have fun, Johnny.
Loyalty is a very good idea. Yes, ANET should definitely look into and do some research on Loyalty – btw, ya’ll can quote me on THAT anywhere

(edited by Sir Cusfreak.5971)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Xiamon.3251

Xiamon.3251

Yep, this feature is pretty much useless to me with the region locks. They’re going to advertise it too, but it’s dishonest and misleading as kitten.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: AcFiBu.9624

AcFiBu.9624

While guesting, if you still earn influence for your home world, I assume that means you only get guild rewards from your home world and only have access to your home world guild bank as well. Am I correct in this assumption?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Majestic Matthew.7132

Majestic Matthew.7132

While guesting, if you still earn influence for your home world, I assume that means you only get guild rewards from your home world and only have access to your home world guild bank as well. Am I correct in this assumption?

Im curious about this too because I’m on a different server then my guild because i love the people in that guild but I hate the server for WvW so i switched over to another server for WvW but still do dungeons and such with my guild. If i stay in the other world, will i be able to access the bank and guild upgrades/buffs while im guested to my Guilds Server or is this not going to change and Im going to be just giving influence to the guild for Anvil Rock (the server im in) instead of GoM (the server my Guild is in)

It would be really nice if guilds were NOT world based that way I could play with my friends in WvW on Anvil Rock and do dungeons and such Guested to GoM and give them Influence and get their buffs and such.

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

@Shan the loyalty idea is pretty cool.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The way guilds work in relation to worlds is kinda weird, but I think I understand where it started. My guess is that they wanted to make guilds server specific to encourage guilds to not hop around from world to world (it obviously doesn’t prevent it, but since they lose all their upgrades if they do it’s enough to discourage many, especially smaller ones like mine, from moving to gather friends and guilds in the same place).
The problem with server specific guilds of course is what if a guild does decide to move and someone else took the same name on the other server?
Who gets to keep the name? You can’t have two guilds with the exact same name can you? So the guild ends up having to be across all worlds despite being limited to one for all intents and purposes.

I disagree with the reasoning behind it, as it’s the larger guilds who can most easily regain all the upgrades left behind. My guild? Took stinking ages just to get the first tier of guild storage, no way I’m doing that again. So it serves as an anchor for me, but a larger guild could have that in a week, it’s nothing to them.
But at this point it’s near impossible to change (what about a guild with branches on multiple worlds that have all earned upgrades?)

For Influence, if I understand how they said it works, is the easiest setup possible.
If I guest on my friends server but Rep my guild, Influence earned goes to his worlds version of my guild.
If I join and Rep his guild, then it goes to his guild on his world.
And the reverse is true if he guests on my world, it either goes to my worlds version of his guild, or my worlds version of my guild.
That’s workable, you just need to be aware which world you’re on and which guild you’re reping for.
Guesting on another world by yourself to gather some more mats? Out of luck it seems, unless you want to join a random guild just to avoid wasting Influence (but since you’d never get any benefit from it that’d be kinda pointless anyway)

Really wish they’d used something more like what I talked about at the end of my post a couple months ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Influence-While-Guesting/686304

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

(edited by ScribeTheMad.7614)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

We can only hope that ANet will listen to the criticism they have receive because of this, and rethink this decision.
I had a lot of faith in their postulates about how important building player community was(they did in GW1) and thought they would move forward and set a standard in building gaming communities, instead we get what others have already done; dividing players.
To a lot of us, our guild/community is the most important aspect of what we are doing together and not so much what we are doing.

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Rockweaver.3102

Rockweaver.3102

I have to admit i had hoped that Anet would have fixed this issue so that my guild could at last work together.

Our guild formed during the Beta for GW1 and we have been together from then to now. my members are from around the world and we have been friends and played together in this game for 7 years.

you are forcing us to abandon each other and never play together again. my Euro players have too much lag playing on US Severs and my US players the same on the Euro players.

Our Alliance was damaged by you when you did not put an alliance feature into the game. now our guilds are being forced apart more by separating friends from around the world.

i guess your definition of having friends play together is very different than what we had envisioned. this is probably the saddest day for my guild that we must now decide to break apart or to try and weather this out till you get your heads out of your rears and realize what made the game great in the past can still work today.

some times you are so very unwise anet.

Grond The Meateater GWO Allaince Leader (GW1)
Grond The Meateater GWO Guild Leader (GW2)

i really expected better from you
Scott

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: lensor.9684

lensor.9684

The problem is that ArenaNet does not seem to really care all that much about the community any more. They care about individual players. They care about the game itself. They care about the bottom line (they are a company after all). But they do not care about the community. The alliances, the guilds, the player-run events. They say that they do, but actions speak higher than words:

- no alliances, not even joint chat.
- no cross-regional guesting (which I admit may be “impossible”, as in not actually impossible but unfeasible under current conditions),
which leads to,
- standing idly by while international communities in their thousands put down roots, full knowing that the damage to those communities would be all the more devastating the longer they waited to announce no cross-region guesting.

The first two I can understand as a result of time and financial constraints, a reality for any company. The last one though… any company who cares about their community, who truly cares, would never in a million years put them through that. The fact that ArenaNet is not even apologizing for the effects this late announcement is having on their international communities speaks volumes.

Bark N Mad [Dii] ~ The Order of Dii Guild Officer ~ Jade Quarry

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

^ Thing is they never told us in good advance either…

I used to have a lot of praise for Anet, now I don’t know anymore. If they don’t care about community I don’t they mind about individuals, maybe the ones that generate the most revenue… Even then.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Kranodor.8915

Kranodor.8915

I’m not part of some large multi-national guild, but I do have friends over on NA (being on EU with most of my local friends) with whom I’d like to play. Still, this implementation of guesting seems like a bad idea to me.

I still hope that it’s “appearance changes in GW1”-impossible, and not actually impossible-impossible. What baffles me – apart from the fact that I, too, considered being able to play with anyone I know as being able to playing cross-region (I think that question was even asked in some interviews when we knew there would be more traditional server structures) – is that, quite obviously, it is technically possible.

Let’s see:
Playing on a different region server isn’t the issue – because an EU player could very well declare an NA server his home server and play on it. In some cases, there will be lag issues, in others, these will be minimal. This is a problem the player faces, and I don’t think ANet can really influence that. I also think that this usually stems more from the quality of internet services on a local level, than from the connection between ANets two data centers.

Transferring data from one data center to another isn’t the issue either – people can do that now for free, and will be able to do so for a fee in the future. So there have to be channels with enough bandwidth to offer that service. Yes, it may be some effort, and thus why they want us to pay for it, but I don’t think it can be that much of a problem if they managed to offer it for free for half a year.

So it all comes down to how to store and sync data (and gameplay / mechanics considerations). Maybe I’m seeing it as too simple, but I don’t see storage space as a problem. Syncing in real-time would be nigh impossible, sure. But syncing the character data (which is all the data we’re talking about – the data that remains between logoffs. No interactions, no positions of other players or monsters or any of that) could be done in longer intervals (when the player logs off, at a certain time, when the player chooses to guest or return to his home world)

What I’d ask of my techies, if I was in charge there, would be to devise something to effectively mirror and validate character data between data centers, and only sync them in long intervals (maybe only for active accounts in the last interval) and/or when the player tries to switch regions, with a waiting time. Also, only keep the mirrored data as long as the player is guesting regularly, i.e. delete the non-home files if no guesting has taken place in the last few weeks or months, and mirror them anew when the player tries to guest again (which means transfering data again and incurs a waiting time for the player that is probably longer than the validation/syncing as long as the files are kept).

If WvW or Guilds cause problems while guesting cross-server, they could still limit some of these things, such as not being able to represent a guild cross-region, but having to represent a guild in the region you’re currently in.

I really hope the silence of ANet is weekend-related and that they will answer next week.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Lord Yeoman.9043

Lord Yeoman.9043

I am also quite shocked at the fact that we must suddenly decide between our EU and US friends, which group to play with and which to never see again. I really would like to see an ANet response to this forum’s postings, if any, so that we can decide if this crisis of sorts is going to be a temporary problem or if it is for keeps before the update is released.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Dear devs.
Yes its really nice to have guesting. I tried that yesterday just to see how its working.
Well, im really disappointed.
After transfer i noticed i lost ALL guild upgrades and all influence points. Thank you. I got almost all upgraded and i wasted lot of money for licenses. Really good job.
There is no info about it at your website. Why?

I want all back. TY

First of all, guesting isn’t in yet. You can still transfer freely (with a week cooldown). So, next week, go back to your old server and all your guild upgrade and influence points are still there. (guesting will be implemented on the 28th, so you better go back before that time).

Second, once guesting is in, you’ll still earn the guild influence for your home server, not for the guesting server. I presume the guild upgrades of your home server will also still count.

TY for your info.
So after 28. all influence from my actual Home server will be transferred to new server if I stay there? With all guild upgrades etc.?
If yes, I’m OK wit that.

First of all: guesting isn’t introduced yet, you just transferred your home server. Since influence is server-based, you’ll have to regain influence anew .
See: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Guilds

Second: When you guest, you’ll still earn influence for your home server. You are mistaking guesting with transferring.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Naryoril.6507

Naryoril.6507

Sorry, but in this form guesting is completely useless to me. I have some friends who play on NA servers and we were hoping for the guesting to finally allow us to play together (like it was possible in GW1). If guesting doesn’t cover that, you can keep it. Because the people i play with on EU servers all gathered on the same server.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Combatgoat.7913

Combatgoat.7913

I am disappointed with this solution.

I am on the EU servers because that’s where most of my friends are (including the ones I can’t play with right now thanks to the missing guesting feature) but I’d been looking forward to guesting being added so I could team up with my friends and guild mates (some of whom are of course also friends) on the NA servers or any of the other EU servers.

This… Is a bad idea. It forces me to either abandon my friends to join the majority of my guild on the NA servers or stay put and be cut off from the rest of my guild mates.

I pretty much stayed on the International Server in GW. And so did most of my international friends. You are forcing me to break ties forged over seven years of gaming whatever I choice I make.

I hope you’ll think of a better solution eventually, because this is more bitter than sweet.

Guesting is Coming

Glitch.6849

Hit me with why the alternatives aren’t feasible!

Hint, hint

I really want to try and understand this, silent treatment doesn’t help.
If given a response I’d probably stop with the QQing. This first time I’m being very whiny and vocal. Yep I know I’m being a D.Bag but this is something I really care about.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

This solution has not helped everyone, however, it does has merit.

This allows for more players, not less, to join their friends/guilds and play together; and this is a good thing.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

A concern I just thought of about guesting…not sure if its good or bad to be honest.

Scenario: For example, lets say I am on a lower populated server. I am trying to map complete in Orr, or just level in some zone. There are no players around, so I go guest on a higher populated server like Jade Quarry or Sea of Sorrows to be able to participate in Dynamic events, map complete with ease (so that maybe some of the cathedrals in Orr aren’t contested, etc). This would help ME, but does not strengthen my already empty server/zones.

If everyone, or at least a good amount of players, on an lower populated server guested over to a more populated server for goals like map completion and DE farming in Orr, do you this this will further create a population problem on the lower populated servers?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

do you this this will further create a population problem on the lower populated servers?

Of course it will.

That’s the point. They want to force encourage people to buy gems to transfer to highly populated servers (which coincidently cost more to transfer too than low pop servers, how odd!).

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

do you this this will further create a population problem on the lower populated servers?

Of course it will.

That’s the point. They want to force encourage people to buy gems to transfer to highly populated servers (which coincidently cost more to transfer too than low pop servers, how odd!).

How is allowing players the ability to PvE on higher population servers for FREE forcing encouraging them to transfer?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Guesting is Coming

cesmode.4257

Of course it will.

How is allowing players the ability to PvE on higher population servers for FREE forcing encouraging them to transfer?

Yah, not sure what Bacon’s reasoning is or if he understands guesting. So when someone guests over to a more populated server for FREE, once every 24 hrs, to participate in more populated Orr zones, map completions, etc…would that not be further emptying already empty servers?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Yah, not sure what Bacon’s reasoning is or if he understands guesting. So when someone guests over to a more populated server for FREE, once every 24 hrs, to participate in more populated Orr zones, map completions, etc…would that not be further emptying already empty servers?

Apologies. I meant to reply in the previous post.

Yeah, I can see where the concern is. However, I’m pretty sure you got to have a friend on the server you’re guesting too.

Granted, I can see it now. People compiling lists to allow each other to guest onto other servers.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Fire.4302

Fire.4302

No idea if it was asked BUT….

This function greatly reduces the number of friends you can ask to join you to play GW 2. especially for Full servers like Tarnished Coast.

The point of buying games for your friends or asking them to join you is so that we can play together, however as it happened before they were forced to another server to start and only to meet up in overflows or in dungeons.

Though its true that Guesting solves the PvE side of the matter however, WvW is one factor that people wish to play with their friends, able to fight along side with them. Not to forget guilds, Friends on other server will not be able to get Guild Buffs or the Guild Bank. Previously we could wait till we can enter the servers usually during holiday events but now… we have to pay to play with friends ?

In other words, you have the body but not the soul
Any1 know how they are addressing the issue ?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

Actually will help lower pop servers I think. You will no longer have to consider if your server is viable for PvE as any server can guest on another.

As for lists, I more see a list being made of top PvE servers. I would love if two or three servers were named unofficial PvE servers of the game.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Of course it will.

Lower cost encourages people to join a lower population server…….

And giving people the opportunity to do certain maps in a lower pop server is helping the issue.. since they don’t have to physically move away from their home server…

Guesting is Coming

cesmode.4257

Guesting..GUESTING. Not paid transfers. Guesting.

Do you need a friend on the server to guest to? If so, like others said, I can see temp-friending someone.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Guesting..GUESTING. Not paid transfers. Guesting.

Do you need a friend on the server to guest to? If so, like others said, I can see temp-friending someone.

The wiki and news post make no mention if you need a friend on a different server to guest there. Back at launch they said you would need one but I guess that was scrapped (hopefully).

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

Unless I’m mistaken, Guild Influence can’t be earned in overflow and will not likely be earned on your home server when guesting, so that is one reason why players will want to play on their home world whenever possible.

I’m looking forward to guesting and hope that you don’t need a friend in order to guest onto another world.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Jinx.7945

Jinx.7945

@cesmode (OP): I agree that guesting will likely result in PVEers aggregating on certain servers to participate in fuller zones. I see this as a positive, not a negative. If nobody is in Orr on my home server, I’ll just go guest on a more populated world. The fact that other players are doing this, too, means a livelier zone for us all. The mitigating factor will be if a zone becomes too populated on a world, it will start folks in less populated overflow zones.

To other speculation in the thread:

- The point is not to make us buy gems to transfer. Guesting is free. There is no reason to transfer to get to the populated zones, just use the free guesting feature. There are no gems needed for this.

- Quoting AreaNet: “You still get influence for your home world guild when you are guesting.”: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guesting-is-Coming/1227596

- While guesting is billed as a way to “play with friends”, my impression is that they mean the normal English interpretation of “friend”, not the specific GW2 in-game list of “friends”. When you guest, you “click the ‘World Selection’ button [and] choose a world you would like to guest on and select the ‘Guest’ button.” (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/) The restriction list doesn’t mention needing a name in your “friend” list with a server as their home world in order to pick it. Why would they bother coding up that kind of a check? We’d just exchange names, anyway, no big deal.

(edited by Jinx.7945)

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

Let me explain to you why you cannot guest on worlds in another region.

There are two databases: European player data is stored in our European datacenter, American player data is stored in our American datacenter. This is to ensure that people in these regions can still properly play in case there is an issue with the connection between the datacenters.

When you do a world transfer from the US to the EU (and vice versa) your player data is transferred from one datacenter to the other. This is not the case with guesting, as you are still “registered” on your home world.

I understand that some of you are disappointed that you cannot guest on worlds in another region, but considering the complexity of internet routing, our main priority is to ensure that players have as much of an uninterrupted game experience as possible, which is the reason why we have two datacenters.

On another note: I will try to get an answer to the guild influence question that has been posted a couple of times.

I do not understand… Why won’t you just let guesting create a copy of the player data on the other regions database if switching between regions is the case. Update the data after the guesting is done and then delete the copy.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’m hoping that there will be a few unofficial PvE servers organized so that players from servers that don’t have much of a PvE can find players on maps. Even though SoS has a lot of players, some maps still have very few players on them.

I’m also hoping for some organized Dragon Tours.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Also remamber you can NOT gest to a FULL sever

Guesting is Coming

cesmode.4257

@cesmode (OP): I agree that guesting will likely result in PVEers aggregating on certain servers to participate in fuller zones. I see this as a positive, not a negative. If nobody is in Orr on my home server, I’ll just go guest on a more populated world. The fact that other players are doing this, too, means a livelier zone for us all. The mitigating factor will be if a zone becomes too populated on a world, it will start folks in less populated overflow zones.

To other speculation in the thread:

- The point is not to make us buy gems to transfer. Guesting is free. There is no reason to transfer to get to the populated zones, just use the free guesting feature. There are no gems needed for this.

- Quoting AreaNet: “You still get influence for your home world guild when you are guesting.”: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guesting-is-Coming/1227596

- While guesting is billed as a way to “play with friends”, my impression is that they mean the normal English interpretation of “friend”, not the specific GW2 in-game list of “friends”. When you guest, you “click the ‘World Selection’ button [and] choose a world you would like to guest on and select the ‘Guest’ button.” (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/) The restriction list doesn’t mention needing a name in your “friend” list with a server as their home world in order to pick it. Why would they bother coding up that kind of a check? We’d just exchange names, anyway, no big deal.

They should just make it easier, shrink the number of servers if people will use it to find a better pve experience.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Unless I’m mistaken, Guild Influence can’t be earned in overflow and will not likely be earned on your home server when guesting, so that is one reason why players will want to play on their home world whenever possible.

In overflow, your influence is lost (unless they change that when guesting goes live). When guesting, your influence goes to your home server. I’m too lazy to search for it, but you can find the post by Martin in the big sticky guesting thread.

I actually think guesting will level out the spread of players. Right now, people want to be on high-pop servers, because the maps aren’t as empty as in low-pop servers. But if guesting works, it doesn’t really matter if your server is high or low pop as you’ll be able to go to another server if there are not enough people to your liking. But you can still stay on your server. And people who want to change, will most likely pick a low-pop server because it’s cheaper.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

I only have oen very important question about this.

What will be the unofficial leveling server of the community that is used so that we can have full zones throughout the world?

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: sejoberbo.2583

sejoberbo.2583

I must add one important reply to not be able to guest on separate databases between USA and Europe.

Since in GW1 we could easily change districts and play with USA or Euro players,
in my case, we formed a guild which is consisted of euro/usa players.

We rejoined and reformed the guild in GW2 but since all the issues with connectivity form the start of GW2,our american players transfered to euro servers.

Because of the timezone differences, they now find lot less players in their gaming hours on the PvE maps and so are not able to form parties for dungeon runs, find PvE
events much harder since they are mostly alone in exploring areas etc…

Now american players want to get back to their servers to be able to play this game normally again,which will mean that our guild will be separated since Euros and Americans cannot play together.

Considering the fact that we are mostly working people in guild (which has been going for more than 6 years) we cannot affor to play always together in same time.

This will soon lead for some of us to stop playing the game at all since we always played together and some of the people will just lose their will to play when their friends are not around.

Hope you will consider resolving this issue and come up with solution that will help us all.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

This announcement, while needed, also threw WvW completely into a frenzy. Server transfers are at an all time high. Servers are being left for dead (in case of SBI and IoJ and I bet one or two more) while people jump ship and jockey for position post-transfers.

I’m highly conflicted about it. I feel as if the transfers should have had some sort of a fee from the beginning, however meager it may have been, and it simply gets increased at a later time when guesting was ready.

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

Guesting is Coming

Posted by: DieQuex.4096

DieQuex.4096

I’m a fan of guesting finally being introduced.

My only issue is that I am unable to transfer back to my home server due to it constantly being “Full.” Will Arena Net lift the server capacity the day of, or a few days prior, when Guesting is implemented?

Guesting is Coming

Sir Cusfreak.5971

I would like to officially apologize to ANET. I was wrong, and when I’m wrong I say so.

I stated repeatedly that the new guesting system would prohibit our guild’s NA and EU players from being able to play together, and that isn’t true, of course.

ANET has given us choices. They’ve given us an option to choose which 1/2 of their players we’d prefer to separate from. And we have an option to pay a fee to play with anyone at all. So if we want to play with our NA friends today and our EU friends next week, we can. It costs, but so would going out to dinner or drinks together or gathering a group for a concert, right?

If I didn’t play with my guildies anymore, it’s not because ANET wouldn’t provide a way for me to, it’s my choice to pay or not pay the transfer fee every so often. The option is there.

No one should be saying that ANET kept them from being able to play with any other GW2 player on any server. The option is available. It’s just not free anymore. They are allowed to charge a fee for any service they provide, right down to a log-in toll or charge-per-click if they wanted to. That’s their choice.

So, I’m sorry my statements were inaccurate.

But I will say I think ANET chose poorly, because out of all the many choices we can make once they separate our guild’s members’ accounts, paying the server transfer fee – that isn’t one we’re going to make. I doubt many will, but I could be wrong.

My opinions of this update haven’t changed in the slightest; it’s still the worst patch I would have ever imagined and it’s still doing far more damage than benefit, none of that has changed, but I’ll be sure to word things more carefully in the future – others here should as well. Don’t say that ANET won’t let you play with your friends, make sure to be clear that they provide you the choice to play with either group, and you can always pay to change to the other group any time.