Guild Tavern Restoration 2: Small Guilds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: El Psy Congroo.7965

El Psy Congroo.7965

So, we are a small Guild and we’ve been working our kittens to gather all the materials for the Tavern restoration (1) and now that we are almost done I’ve seen the list of materials for the 2nd part on the wiki, and it is totally and horrifyingly ridiculous.

I mean 10 Empty Kegs were difficult to us (we are like 6 people with the expansion and another 6 without it, and a bunch of mostly non representative members).
But 200!? and kitten 300 mugs? I mean thats more than 3000 gold.
The price of a legendary weapon just for the FIRST upgrade?

I mean.. come on.. so small guilds have no way to make even the first upgrade?
I know we aren’t suppose to rush the upgrades and stuff, but I mean at least a single upgrade would be nice.. we can’t do anything in our hall, whats the point..

Probably we could gather all the materials, but being totally real it would take lots of months and most people would prefer just move to a bigger guild.
So is that what’s intended with guild halls? No more small guilds?

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

No, the guild halls are intended for everyone (you can gather whatever you need, no gold necessary save for some reagents, I think). What they are NOT intended for is breezing through the upgrades in a few weeks. There was a post about it mentioning a six-month time frame for average guilds. So adjust for guild size, but it is doable.

Those costs seem steep for smaller guilds, but they are there (along with the atherium time gate) to keep huge guilds from building guild halls in days.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: El Psy Congroo.7965

El Psy Congroo.7965

No, the guild halls are intended for everyone (you can gather whatever you need, no gold necessary save for some reagents, I think). What they are NOT intended for is breezing through the upgrades in a few weeks. There was a post about it mentioning a six-month time frame for average guilds. So adjust for guild size, but it is doable.

Those costs seem steep for smaller guilds, but they are there (along with the atherium time gate) to keep huge guilds from building guild halls in days.

Sound more like 6 months for the FIRST upgrade in our case.
I mean, don’t you think that’s ridiculous?
We paid to have a Guild Hall, not a useless map with nothing to do on it.

You can’t just expect the costs to be the same for a big and a small guild.
And by costs I don’t just mean gold, but materials itself.
Of course if 500 people donate 6 gold is easy as kitten,
but for 6 people it would be 500 gold, and that is ridiculous.

(edited by El Psy Congroo.7965)

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

We paid to have a Guild Hall, not a useless map with nothing to do on it.

You paid to get a “useless map with nothing on it”.
You pay if you’d like to get “usefull” stuff on it.

You pay like any other guild, no matter the size.

So because my guild isn’t filled with 500 members gives me the right to ask for a discount? :/ We are big enough but nowhere near 500.

It’s quite a challenge but that comes from what kind of guild you’re running.

I just don’t see how scaling is an effective option, because it’s exploitable and who knows what kind of guild you will turn at a later stage? Maybe you become a 500 man guild and gotten the hall super cheap.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

(edited by Guardian of Angels.9867)

Red Queen.7915

If they scale the costs, big guilds can cheat by giving all the stuff to a few members, leaving the guild, having those who are left upgrade the hall and then get invited back in.

This way, it takes longer if you’re few people (and don’t think my guild is huge, either, we aren’t a lot of people), but you can’t cheat your way to a grand guild hall.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: msbethanyhawke.3759

msbethanyhawke.3759

Also, be aware that the upgrade you’re referring to is actually an advanced upgrade. The tavern upgrade (1) unlocks access to quite a few other upgrades and things to work on just on its own. The tavern upgrade (2) isn’t necessary for a while.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If they scale the costs, big guilds can cheat by giving all the stuff to a few members, leaving the guild, having those who are left upgrade the hall and then get invited back in.

Not being able to cheat is something, I guess, but locking out smaller guilds (as it were) is simply not a good alternative to cheating.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I want to kill the tavern npc that keeps saying the same old thing about restoring the tavern… WITH BEER. Going slightly insane hearing it all the kitten time.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It’s time for small guilds to stop being so elitist and invite more players to join them.

Celtic Lady.3729

It’s time for small guilds to stop being so elitist and invite more players to join them.

It shouldn’t have to be explained to anyone that small guilds are not small guilds due to an elitist attitude. But whatever.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think the main problem here is that your guild is too small. Expand membership, and things will get easier for you. It wouldn’t be fair if Anet allowed smaller guilds to have cheaper upgrades. Then it would be exploitable to have only 5 people in a guild, upgrade like crazy on the cheap end, and then invite the other 500 guildies back in for a cheap hall.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

DarcShriek.5829

It shouldn’t have to be explained to anyone that small guilds are not small guilds due to an elitist attitude. But whatever.

Yeah, a lot of them are. If you only open membership to you and a small group of friends, that’s a clear signal that you don’t think anyone else is good enough to play with you..

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, a lot of them are. If you only open membership to you and a small group of friends, that’s a clear signal that you don’t think anyone else is good enough to play with you..

No, it isn’t. I don’t belong to a small guild because I think I’m better than anyone else or play better than anyone else and nor do my friends feel that way. This makes as much sense as saying everyone that doesn’t do or does do a particular activity only has one reason for doing so.

I play tennis because I belong to a country club. I don’t eat doughnuts because I’m not a cop. I go to the movies so I can have popcorn. I live in Hawaii because I surf.

Newsflash: There is more than one reason for why people do the things they do or don’t do. Most of them not exactly because they think they’re better than anyone else.

DarcShriek.5829

No, it isn’t. I don’t belong to a small guild because I think I’m better than anyone else or play better than anyone else and nor do my friends feel that way. This makes as much sense as saying everyone that doesn’t do or does do a particular activity only has one reason for doing so.

I play tennis because I belong to a country club. I don’t eat doughnuts because I’m not a cop. I go to the movies so I can have popcorn. I live in Hawaii because I surf.

Newsflash: There is more than one reason for why people do the things they do or don’t do. Most of them not exactly because they think they’re better than anyone else.

Yet you refuse to invite others to your guild. Plus you refuse to join a larger guild. Your refusal to join others is somewhat anti social and elitist, despite your pleas to the contrary.

Celtic Lady.3729

Yet you refuse to invite others to your guild. Plus you refuse to join a larger guild. Your refusal to join others is somewhat anti social and elitist, despite your pleas to the contrary.

I never said I refuse to join larger guilds. I’m not nor is anyone in my guild anti-social. You just like to throw meaningless insults around to people that have different goals and preferences than you do.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You talk like having standards is somehow not a good thing. If you’re going to argue that anything other than allowing anyone who can fog a mirror into a guild is elitist, then kitten, yes, I’m totally willing to take on that mantle. I am an elitist because I don’t want to spend my free time with people I don’t care about, or even actively dislike.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Like others said, exploitable but then again, is it really exploit when larger guilds are forced to pay more for something that do the same, is it even fair in the first place then.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Yeah I’m in the same boat with our guild. We have a family guild. Only four of us, but haven’t seen the upgrades yet. But now that I know they are that expensive, forget getting a guild hall.

Yeah we could invite others to join us, but why? It’s a guild for my family. Mother, Father, and two Sons. We use the guild bank to share stuff between each other. We thought about getting a guild hall cause it would be fun, and we had one in DDO back in the day, but if those are the requirements for one, then it’s not happening. We’ll settle with what we have now.

I’m just waiting for the day when you see “WTS fully upgraded Guild Hall with all unlocks 10k PST” in map chat. Because it is going to happen.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Base the costs on the capacity of the guild. Start guilds at 10 people with upgrades for 50, 100, 250 and 500. If you upgrade your capacity, you lose access to whatever, but are discounted what you’ve already paid. Basing the costs on zerg guilds is silly. It’s the zerg guilds that should be heavily punished.

Celtic Lady.3729

Sounds like the system needs tweaking, though, overall. Even large guilds are saying that the costs of some things and the requirements for others are prohibitive. If even moderate to large guilds are struggling and it’s a bit discouraging, how much more so is it going to be for the small guild?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Base the costs on the capacity of the guild. Start guilds at 10 people with upgrades for 50, 100, 250 and 500. If you upgrade your capacity, you lose access to whatever, but are discounted what you’ve already paid. Basing the costs on zerg guilds is silly. It’s the zerg guilds that should be heavily punished.

Why do such guilds need to be “punished”?

Their method of play is just as valid as anyone else’s. Some people like being in massive herds.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Red Queen.7915

Punished probably wasn’t the right word to use up there. But ideally, costs would scale. If I want to stay at a hotel with 100 people, I’ll have to get 100 rooms. If I want to stay in the same hotel with 10 people, I shouldn’t have to get 100 rooms as well.

As it is, scaling might have been considered, but not implemented for various reasons. And putting it in now would probably provoke the wrath of all nine hells – a.k.a. guilds who already have invested a lot of mats into their guild halls. It’d be… interesting to see how that would be handled.
And by interesting I mean a bloody circus of screeching and complaining, no matter how fairly it’d be handled.

So for now, we’ll just have to fall out of Jaka Itzel every single day and brave the vampires to get some extra flax seeds…

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

As it is, scaling might have been considered, but not implemented for various reasons. And putting it in now would probably provoke the wrath of all nine hells – a.k.a. guilds who already have invested a lot of mats into their guild halls. It’d be… interesting to see how that would be handled.
And by interesting I mean a bloody circus of screeching and complaining, no matter how fairly it’d be handled.

I’m in favour of scaling. It sounds like the best option – the way it is now, small guilds can’t handle the upgrade costs. I also like the tiers suggested by Healix above (10, 50, 100, 250, 500).

When introducing scaling, anet could automatically put the guild hall into the tier that fits the roster size and reimburse any excess materials that were paid for upgrades in the old system. So a guild with 20 members would be put into the tier of halls for guilds with 11-50 members and given back any materials they already paid which exceed the costs of these tier 2 halls.

RoF

SkyShroud.2865

Ermm…..

So the large guilds are supposed to be punished or heavily taxed for the works and dramas they had to go through to become large. I see, sounds fair.

On a side note, which part of it is fair if a guild that paid lesser can get to access the same amount of things as a guild which paid more? In reality, a lot of things can be fair while a lot of things can also be unfair. However, a rule remain, a small factory can only produce a limited number of things while a large factory can produce a larger number of things. If scaling had to be done, it has to be done with this rule in mind.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Jeremiel.8350

Jeremiel.8350

I for one am not even in a guild. Am I looking for a large guild, no. Personally, if and when I join a guild it will be a small friendly guild. I dislike the large anonymous spam guild invites that once you accept you realize was only sent so as to build up the numbers. I always open the guild panel and hit decline whenever I get an invite with no /tell, not even doing me the courtesy of being part of a conversation. It’s like a robocall lol! So personally, I do not consider all small guild Elitist however I do consider all the spam invite large guilds so ……

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

What they could do is add a Guild Hall designed for smaller guilds. This would have the same features but would be way smaller and cheaper.

Posted by: Code.2834

Code.2834

To be honest, I would’ve liked it more if we could use different materials for different upgrades. What I mean by that is I don’t think every guild should follow the same paths to upgrade, there should be various ways to upgrade. For example, path A is for big guilds (with 300 or more) path B is for 200 or 299 and C is 100 to 199 and so on. That way small guilds can take their time to upgrade, same materials won’t be used thus making TP more stable.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I don’t disagree with the requirements, what i think is that the devs went rogue on the crafting recipes.
The requirements for linseed oil and glass shards are a bit too high. I mean 20 seeds for 1 oil, oil which is pretty much in every other new craft recipe they added?
3 sands look like nothing, but 3 sands and 3 glass shards per mug means 9 coarse sands (which amounts to at least 90 silky sands), and 300 Mugs means way too much time having to grind dry top, even at guild level, no matter the size, this keeps going on scribe recipes, with having to salvage dyes (which are already exceedingly rare because they pretty much don’t drop any more) for the pigments.
I mean i’d be fine if i’d have to salve one dye for a couple of items, but atm you need 3-4 fine rarity dyes (15s each) for the craft lvl 25 kits.

So yes, i think its not what you need in the end or the amount of it, but the amount of materials that go into crafting them.

I mean if you needed only 5 or even 10 flax for every oil, or 4 coarse sands (2 sands per shard, 2 shards) per mug, 1 pigment per scribing tool, then probably this wouldn’t be a discussion, what we have now is stuff with unprecedented high number of base materials to create fine craft materials.

Oils will sooner or later stabilize, but glass won’t, because it requires a really specific farm. And scribing will remain too expensive because dyes still won’t drop.

Red Queen.7915

Ermm…..

So the large guilds are supposed to be punished or heavily taxed for the works and dramas they had to go through to become large. I see, sounds fair.

On a side note, which part of it is fair if a guild that paid lesser can get to access the same amount of things as a guild which paid more? In reality, a lot of things can be fair while a lot of things can also be unfair. However, a rule remain, a small factory can only produce a limited number of things while a large factory can produce a larger number of things. If scaling had to be done, it has to be done with this rule in mind.

1) Large guilds are currently being rewarded for being large in that they can split a cost of, say, 3000g for several upgrades among, ideally, 500 people. 6g each. A guild with 25 members will have to pay 120g/member. How is that “punishing” a large guild? And any large guild wanted to be large, so it was totally their choice to go through “all the works and dramas” (?!) of becoming huge. Prior to the introduction/announcement of guild halls, I might add.

2) The bigger factory will still only produce greater numbers of the same thing, not equal numbers of several more things. Same goes for guild halls. The bigger guild hall will have the same services, but it will be able to grant them to more people.
Real life is unfair, sure, but are you trying to tell me that this absolutely must apply to things we do for fun as well? Because I call BS on that one.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: eliteblast.6403

eliteblast.6403

guild halls seem like content intended for zergs, I don’t see how my guild of buddies that consists of 3-10 people can really achieve much with guild halls.

SkyShroud.2865

Ermm…..

1) Large guilds are currently being rewarded for being large in that they can split a cost of, say, 3000g for several upgrades among, ideally, 500 people. 6g each. A guild with 25 members will have to pay 120g/member. How is that “punishing” a large guild? And any large guild wanted to be large, so it was totally their choice to go through “all the works and dramas” (?!) of becoming huge. Prior to the introduction/announcement of guild halls, I might add.

2) The bigger factory will still only produce greater numbers of the same thing, not equal numbers of several more things. Same goes for guild halls. The bigger guild hall will have the same services, but it will be able to grant them to more people.
Real life is unfair, sure, but are you trying to tell me that this absolutely must apply to things we do for fun as well? Because I call BS on that one.

That’s warped. Applying your logic and your fairness, small guilds choose to be small, so it is totally their choice to pay more for guild upgrades.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

For a smaller guild, yes this is harder. It is what it is. Larger guilds can get a lot more input from members to unlock things easier. That’s the incentive to grow your guild.

If people want to only play with their circle of IRL friends and their spouses, then there is a trade-off.

If they want the most out of the guild experience in Guild Wars 2, they need to not treat their guild like a glorified chatroom.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Red Queen.7915

For a smaller guild, yes this is harder. It is what it is. Larger guilds can get a lot more input from members to unlock things easier. That’s the incentive to grow your guild.

If people want to only play with their circle of IRL friends and their spouses, then there is a trade-off.

If they want the most out of the guild experience in Guild Wars 2, they need to not treat their guild like a glorified chatroom.

So… 500 people is the default for guilds, then? Riiight.
Why should there be a trade-off for small guilds, but not for large ones? This reasoning requires a certain default setup for a guild as intended by the game. As it is, there is none, so no-one can claim that THIS setup is good, but THAT setup should be punished for not complying to the norm.
Besides, you completely ignore that different people want different things from a guild, and “getting the most out of the guild experience” is not the same for everyone. For me and many others, being in a 500-man-guild is not a guild experience at all, it’s sitting in a room full of virtual strangers and occasionally running a dungeon with them. That’s a slightly better PUG experience at best. YMMV, but don’t assume your POV is the only right one. Small guilds have the right to voice their concerns and ask for tweaks or at least a proper explanation for the steep costs that they face.
Which reminds me… I have some more kegs to make…

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Celtic Lady.3729

The point is, can we find a good solution so both guild sizes can participate in the content? Is it truly GW2’s belief that you ought to be in a guild of 500 or screw you?

Maybe it is and this is their way of saying they absolutely don’t support all guild sizes. If so, we’ll have to accept that, but I haven’t yet seen a dev definitely say this is true, so I had hoped it wasn’t. So maybe I’m wrong about them.

Also, sorry, but all the “If you’re in a small guild, you’re a second class citizen but anyone in a large guild is ‘social, non-elitist, and the only valid use of guild chat,’” is completely stupid and patently false.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

What the real issue is in my opinion, that with the 2 large guildhalls only big guilds are facilitated. The smaller, more personal guilds of family, friends and game friends are not. And there are many little guilds (much more then large). It was better if there where 1 or 2 guildhalls for the smaller guilds. Hope this will be realised in the future. The bigger guilds mostly consist of a more younger game audience (under 18), which i have no intention of joining (you can already see why in some of the disrispectfull reactions on this post to the op) .

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The bigger guilds mostly consist of a more younger game audience (under 18), which i have no intention of joining (you can already see why in some of the disrispectfull reactions on this post to the op) .

Zuh? Our guild has 130+ members, typically 40 or so logged in concurrently at peak primetime. Our average age of the guild is around 33 yrs old. I feel that GW2 players in general are older than the typical MMO demographic. I can count on my hand the number of under 18 yr olds I’ve met in the game (not including those that are accompanied by a parent).

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Cassellw.4731

Cassellw.4731

just FYI to the OP, GW 2 said 6month to unlock everything as a 10 player guild not 100s of players

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Wait how are guild halls intended for everyone? My guild can’t capture the location given we have 3 people. If by intended for everyone, you mean… so long as you add a bunch of people not in your guild to help you do it, then maybe I’d agree. But otherwise I’d say it was not in fact accessible for all guilds as they stand.

Red Queen.7915

Wait how are guild halls intended for everyone? My guild can’t capture the location given we have 3 people. If by intended for everyone, you mean… so long as you add a bunch of people not in your guild to help you do it, then maybe I’d agree. But otherwise I’d say it was not in fact accessible for all guilds as they stand.

Anything below 5 people is a group, to me. A guild, too, sure, but mostly a group in terms of mechanics.
That said, for a group, it’s probably hard to get a hall, but as far as I know, three players is the bare minimum, and should, in theory, also be possible.
Though exactly how many active guilds with so few people there are, I’m not sure.

Still, yes, temporarily inviting a handful of people to get the hall is a viable option. I know a few people who are doing exactly that, no big deal. I’ve seen a thread or two floating around here asking for help and offering to help with another guild’s hall in exchange. It’s no different from doing guild bounties with one or two people and asking in mapchat for help. It’s easier with more people, but can be done with few.

Side note: Content like Tequatl and the Karka Queen can also be started by all guilds, regardless of size, but not done by any guild, however small. They are all accessible, but some may only be doable with assistance.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Sound more like 6 months for the FIRST upgrade in our case.
I mean, don’t you think that’s ridiculous?

Eh… no?

Why would it? This isn’t a game I am done with after 10 hours gameplay.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

….

Anything below 5 people is a group, to me. A guild, too, sure, but mostly a group in terms of mechanics.

….

And as your personal made up definition of what constitues what a guild should be, does not correspond with the actual definition of a guild in the game. (I’m in fact in a 1 man one).

Then it is incorrect to say that guildhalls are intended for all guilds. What you actually means is all guilds that fit a non-game conforming definition of a guild that you have made up.

I would just prefer that we don’t distract the conversation by redefining semantics and then straw man arguing. Lets keep the conversation factual.

Posted by: Khan Ur Drakavic.9052

Khan Ur Drakavic.9052

Yeah I’m in the same boat with our guild. We have a family guild. Only four of us, but haven’t seen the upgrades yet. But now that I know they are that expensive, forget getting a guild hall.

Yeah we could invite others to join us, but why? It’s a guild for my family. Mother, Father, and two Sons. We use the guild bank to share stuff between each other. We thought about getting a guild hall cause it would be fun, and we had one in DDO back in the day, but if those are the requirements for one, then it’s not happening. We’ll settle with what we have now.

I’m just waiting for the day when you see “WTS fully upgraded Guild Hall with all unlocks 10k PST” in map chat. Because it is going to happen.

Same boat, Have a small guild and tried to get help in lfg and asking larger guilds no dice. They should make them purchasable for 200g or something. Its really sad all the people waiting for the guild halls for 3 years and have this happen.

Celtic Lady.3729

Same boat, Have a small guild and tried to get help in lfg and asking larger guilds no dice.

Yeah, same here. Spent some considerable time in LFG asking for volunteers to help us claim our guild hall, but no one answered. Offered 1 g to every person willing to help, but again, nothing.

Was kind of discouraging, actually.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Okay a few things.

I’m in a small guild. I’m leader of said guild. I’m open to basically anyone joining that guild if they understand it’s a CASUAL guild. Frankly, that’s not what most people want. If it is what they want than play times, contributions and ability to do guild quests is unreliable at best. Not saying that as a bad thing, it’s just how casual gaming works. People play when and how they want. Whether thats once a week, a few days a month, only WvW solo or w/e. If they are friendly and nice, I will take them no problem.

I in turn, will not turn running the guild into a job. Everyone who plays is responsible for themselves and I’m not going to dictate, when, where, how or how much they play or do anything. If I want something in the guild, such as a hall, then I personally will put in the money and effort necessary to get it. If that means recruiting some helpful people for something, in my guild or otherwise, then I will do so. But ultimately I do it because I want it.

I understand that as a small guild, and as the type of guild leader I am, that I will be putting in the work for anything I want. I know it will take me longer than a guild larger than me, and often times even guilds of our size, because I don’t make my members do anything they don’t want to unless it’s for something THEY want. (If they want it, they can work for it, or they don’t get it, just like me. I will usually help them though if they are doing the work.)

However, building things on the guild bases is already time gated. This was done to keep large guilds from instantly doing all the upgrades and being done.

There is no need to have more than one set of time gates. If you have already gated it, then gating it again serves no purpose. It’s redundant.

Should materials and gold be required to build or purchase things in the guild hall? Yes. Should this content be so drastic to be another time gate in it’s own right? No. There is no purpose to that. What it SHOULD be, is purposeful to the upgrade.

I also advocate for there being 2 ways to complete every upgrade.

Example: Guild wants a tavern.

Tavern Build:
Step 1: Retrieve necessary materials from the world. This would be anything necessary in actually building or restoring the physical tavern. Wood, Metals, even some cloth for banners, curtains and the like. These would be refined resources, so would need to be refined through crafting. Guilds who don’t want to put forth the effort of collecting and refining the materials could buy them on TP.

Step 2: Build the Tavern with said materials. Either the guild can build it on their own, which would take time and interacting with Tavern site. Or they can hire a construction crew for gold, food, and drinks. If they choose to build it, then it would be a setup where crafting disciplines were needed. A level 250 Weaponsmith or Armoursmith for example would have the skills necessary to build the walls. Which would require them to interact with the wall area, and perform a series of crafts. Each thing would take X amount of time to complete. So it might take 5 hours to complete the floor. You would do the initial starting that action. Then go do things. But you couldn’t build anything else that required the floor until that action was done. So 5 hours later you could start building a wall for example. And every piece of the tavern would require that action. Using a construction crew might take 24 hours total, but doing it yourself might take a week, or more if you don’t get on regularly as a guild to build it.

Step 3: Stock the Tavern. This would require crafting furniture, collecting various liquors and foods, and Finding NPC’s to work for you. If you don’t want to do all this, you can buy the materials on the TP, hire woodworkers to make the furniture, and hire an NPC through the guild initiative. All of which cost more, but are more efficient and quick.

Each step had 2 options. One to be done by the guild, which would take more time and effort. One to be done by paying the Guild Initiative to hire people to do it for you, and buying the needed materials from the TP. Guilds could use any combination to do this as well.

It would make materials collection more realistic as well. Maybe for Tavern Level 1, the materials needed to build it are low level mats. Low level Crafting Masteries would be required. Foods and Drinks would all be ones you would make at low levels or sold by NPC’s in low level areas. To make the Tavern Level 2 you would have to get higher level materials and so on.

In this way as well, individual members could help your builds. Since people could build parts of the buildings on individuals basis, then every person can contribute something.

TL;DR By changing how upgrades are done, they can provide more playstyle options, while maintaining the original time gate requirements, and allowing all guilds a chance at stuff, if they are willing to work or pay, regardless of size.

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

I’m in a guild with 94 on the roster, and probably only half of those are actually active, and we’ve been doing fine. The only thing holding us back is favor. Items are coming in quickly, but we have members that are willing to donate to the guild hall. Also your not suppose to get a fully upgraded guild hall in 3 weeks. Its suppose to take 6-9 months, so in 6 months come back and complain then, for now just keep upgrading.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Punished probably wasn’t the right word to use up there. But ideally, costs would scale. If I want to stay at a hotel with 100 people, I’ll have to get 100 rooms. If I want to stay in the same hotel with 10 people, I shouldn’t have to get 100 rooms as well.

If the costs would scale then imho also the guildhall size and/or functionality should scale.
If the hotel has 100 rooms and I go there with 10 people I shouldn’t expect to rent the full hotel for the price of 10 rooms.
Or if I want to rent a place to organize a gaming concert where I expect 100 visitors I shouldn’t go to a big stadium and expect to be able to negotiate a price the same as of of a club that has room for 150 visitors.
Bad analogies
But scaling the size/funcionality with the cost might be a good compromise for smaller guilds to still have their own place they can work in, just requires quite some development.

edit: to add that I’m in a 2 player guild and am fine with how things are. In the old system I also couldn’t get as many upgrades/unlocks/buffs as big guilds and wasn’t able to do missions etc. after having played since launch. Though a smaller customizable version of guild hall (not the instance in L.A. in it’s current form) would be a nice to have feature.

In this interview Colin commented on it btw

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10256/Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-One-Week-In-with-Colin-Johanson.html

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The sad part is the community addressed this in the Guild Hall CDI thread ages ago. It was one of my chief concerns. Just like they nerfed rewards to dungeons to push players towards other instanced content, I see the cost prohibitive nature of guild hall upgrades for smaller guilds as ArenaNet pushing people toward larger guilds. I really don’t see any reason outside of that.

Why should a ten person guild have to pay so much coin to access a tavern as a place to hang out? The costs weren’t bad in GW1. The costs right now are crazy. I remember getting a guild hall with an old guild I was in in GW1 and Sigils cost like 75k. It was spendy. Especially back in the beginning of that game’s lifespan. This dwarfs that in comparison in terms of cost.

ArenaNet took a place for socialization and something small and large guilds alike could do together and decided to make it an expensive(for small guilds)gold sink to push people towards joining a large guild if they want to see the guild halls in their full glory. Oh well.

Here’s the link to that Guild Hall CDI: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/cdi/CDI-Guilds-Guild-Halls/first

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Actually it’s more likely to try to avoid guild drama from those who sneer at small guilds .. there’s a mirror over there →

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Work for it, like every other guild out there.

Or do exactly what Colin said and use the LA HQ as your hall. Either way you have options. At this point i am proud of the stance Colin and Anet are taking in regards to halls.

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

Everything a small guild needs is available for less than 200g. An expedition costs 100g and you can buy the merchant and repair station for less than 100g with no other materials needed besides favor. If you want more than that, you need to play the game just like everyone else.

Just because you “want it now” doesn’t mean you’re entitled to it. You have to work for it like everyone else. Sure the material costs are large but it’s not that hard to gather them on your own. I gather around 300 flax a day which equals roughly 5 kegs a day and that’s solo. If you want anything more than a simple guild hall, you need to gather the materials just like everyone else.

If you can’t be bothered to farm the materials and save yourself a lot of the gold cost, you can buy just about any item needed on the TP. Sure the cost is high now but that’s due to new content and comparative scarcity of the materials due to the high demand. As time goes on the materials will drop in price.