in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Just. shut. up.

Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Man you people all salty over no SAB (ha!) sure are grasping straws over this airplane april fools joke, aren’t ya? Seriously, if you don’t like it don’t play for a day or ten – you will not be missed. It was a funny april fools joke – trying to draw parallels to real life events just because you don’t like something is pretty ridiculous.

People with attitude like azurrei should really immediately be permanent banned from any online game and everyone will be happy for it.

Seriously dude, over-react much?

NSPride <3

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

It was a fun idea and I’m glad they tried it. but it might have been a better idea to limit it just to cities so that folks could escape it. The sepia tone and hat is okay. The arms out is pretty annoying. The zoom noise is really irritating.

Fortunately, I’m happy in pvp but if pvp also gets ‘infected’ I’m going to try another game until this goes away.

Again, nice idea but duration does matter.

Posted by: Castitalus.6359

Castitalus.6359

Yup, figured you know next to nothing about rp. It’s kind of hard to rp and immerse yourself when your character is running around like a child pretending to be a plane. THAT is the forced issue, the character model, the point you keep missing.

All the other examples, rpers can leave the area or take what’s presented in the story updates and use it for rp. gasp Options!

Was this game created for the RPer? No. Is Guild Wars known for it’s April Fool’s Day gags? Very much so.

As to your last line, you’re essentially saying that they can “suck it up” and change their RP. Hypocrisy on display.

Way to twist my words to try to make yourself look better. No comment on the character model? Oh wait, that’s right, you can’t make any argument against it.

Not twisting your words whatsoever. Let me quote you….

True, but the "suck it up’ mentality is never good.

Then you go on to say….

….

All the other examples, rpers can leave the area or take what’s presented in the story updates and use it for rp. gasp Options!

See, ‘Suck it up’ and ‘Take it or leave it’ is the exact same thing. It’s saying “You have been forced to deal with a change that is beyond your control so you must adapt”. Guess what, that’s life. We ALL have to deal with it. The fact that so few of y ou are so loud about it inside of a game is rather sad.

So yes, you are a hypocrite.

And in those examples you gave, everyone had options. Does this event have options? Can I have my characters arms lowered? Can I have the previous character model back? No? Thought so.

But I knew talking with you would be talking to a brick wall. Was fun entertainment though, thank you for that.

Posted by: Hexicz.8450

Hexicz.8450

I didn’t realise a joke about planes FLYING had any correlation to planes CRASHING. Jesussssssss

Posted by: Drazgul.3246

Drazgul.3246

Most of what we do in this game is run around and slaughter things. Somehow people who are ok with that are not ok with an April Fools joke related to planes.

It’s the same kind of hypocrites, who praise GTA for it’s awesomeness and when Hatred is announced they go batkitten insane about violence.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Ways to disable them:

1. Airplane sounds

• Options > Sound Options > Slide Down dialogue volume

2. Movie grain (sepia overlay)

• Options > Graphic Options > Postprocessing > None (Low remove the sephia but keeps the the grain)

3. Aviator Helmet

• Use a costume brawl tonic/transformation potion and exit the transformation. This will revert your hair back to normal.

4. Other PC (player character) Models

• Options > Graphic Options > Character Model Quality > Lowest

5. Airplane Hand Position

Combat transformation changes your character look, including hands position.

If you find other methods of disabling the features, feel free to post em here.

Thanks for the constructive post. It shouldn’t be necessary to make such changes, but its good know.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

For the love of god all of you shut up please. Both sides are being massive tools to each other, the snark is over 9000 and nothing is getting accomplished in this forum post. Literally nothing.

To the ones who love it, good for you! I did too for the first 5-10 minutes of playing! You know? just like with the bobbleheads, it got old! And heres probably the best solution! For next year not this year.

In Guild wars 1, April Fools day was celebrated in citys, outposts, and towns(For most of all the April fools day events) Can we get that here please? Remove it from WVW, PVP and disable it when you go into combat! All the problems i would have with this years Aprils fools day would be gone!

But really, for crying out loud if you arent willing to talk to each other without snark then just stop. It gets just as old as this joke did.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

I feel offended that you can do this changes…

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

We just had a string of terrible plane crashes, including one last week. How does something so insensitive slip through?

The German forums, where people apparently had family members affected by this tragedy, are really upset: https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz.

Not really, even though my german isn’t perfect (its actually quite bad), from what I can gather, there is a good number of posts in the thread doing the exact same thing as people in this thread are doing, and is also what I’m about to do:::

We just had a string of terrible murders, including several thousand last week across the world, outnumbering this tragedy 10 to 1. How does something so insensitive slip through? Seriously Anet?!? Giving us the ability to kill things in the game is so insensitive to the millions of family members across the world that have to deal with a murdered loved one for the rest of their lives!!!

/sarcasm, but definitely not a joke.

Posted by: Nurann Amruniel.1456

Nurann Amruniel.1456

People will threaten to toss their Anet jerseys on the ice over this, but won’t do a bloody thing about starving children in third world countries?

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I feel offended that you can do this changes…

What this person said! Take it on the chin!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Yup, figured you know next to nothing about rp. It’s kind of hard to rp and immerse yourself when your character is running around like a child pretending to be a plane. THAT is the forced issue, the character model, the point you keep missing.

Was this game created for the RPer? No. Is Guild Wars known for it’s April Fool’s Day gags? Very much so.

As to your last line, you’re essentially saying that they can “suck it up” and change their RP. Hypocrisy on display.

Way to twist my words to try to make yourself look better. No comment on the character model? Oh wait, that’s right, you can’t make any argument against it.

Not twisting your words whatsoever. Let me quote you….

True, but the "suck it up’ mentality is never good.

Then you go on to say….

….

See, ‘Suck it up’ and ‘Take it or leave it’ is the exact same thing. It’s saying “You have been forced to deal with a change that is beyond your control so you must adapt”. Guess what, that’s life. We ALL have to deal with it. The fact that so few of y ou are so loud about it inside of a game is rather sad.

So yes, you are a hypocrite.

And in those examples you gave, everyone had options. Does this event have options? Can I have my characters arms lowered? Can I have the previous character model back? No? Thought so.

But I knew talking with you would be talking to a brick wall. Was fun entertainment though, thank you for that.

Really? So the people who wanted to RP in Kessex Hills and the change affected their RP had what options? Oh, that’s right, they had to the option to change their RP based on what the game forced them to do. Did the Living Story have the option that the tower wasn’t there? Did they have the option to turn off the destruction of the zone? No.

Your response to that has been to essentially say ‘they can suck it up and deal with the change and adapt their rp’. Well why can’t they do the exact same thing with this? April Fool’s is a notoriously funny day in an MMO. If someone is an RPer, they are well aware of this or are extremely new to RPing inside of a game. Why can’t they follow your advice on what they had to do with the zone changes and adapt to this as well?

See, you’re the brick wall. You can not even realize you are the one talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Dragon.8612

Dragon.8612

This from your OP…

“Also I think it would be very big of you, and really appropriate, if you issued just a small apology for the whole thing.”

So yes, you did say they should apologize.

And yes, when you say things like "So I just want to group my thoughts here as a game designer myself " that IS you saying “Hey listen to me cause I am an expert” because there is absolutely NO OTHER REASON TO SAY IT.

Okay last one then bed XD

Yes I did in my original statement say they should apologize. However as I have now stated several time you should READ POSTS AND NOT JUST JUMP TO THE CONCLUSION, I have changed my mind over the course of listening to other people’s comments. I don’t believe they need to apologize I have changed my opinion, and guess why, because that is what people do, they listen to facts. They take their ego out of the equation and don’t care about always being right and they listen to what others have to say and learn from that. That is what I did.

Again for your assault of who I am and what I stated. The same statement could be made by a cook coming in and saying “I am a cook myself and I want to gather my ideas as a cook on the subject.” I’m not saying I am better than you, I am saying I am a game designer here is what I believe in relation to this specific situation. Those other aren’t saying “hey listen to me I am an expert!” They are just stating who they are! I grouped my thoughts as a game designer. You are taking that as a threat for god knows what reason.

Thanks again for posting and have a wonderful night

ronpierce.2760

People will threaten to toss their Anet jerseys on the ice over this, but won’t do a bloody thing about starving children in third world countries?

Basic Human Hypocrisy isn’t a new concept. :P

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

This from your OP…

“Also I think it would be very big of you, and really appropriate, if you issued just a small apology for the whole thing.”

So yes, you did say they should apologize.

And yes, when you say things like "So I just want to group my thoughts here as a game designer myself " that IS you saying “Hey listen to me cause I am an expert” because there is absolutely NO OTHER REASON TO SAY IT.

Okay last one then bed XD

Yes I did in my original statement say they should apologize. However as I have now stated several time you should READ POSTS AND NOT JUST JUMP TO THE CONCLUSION, I have changed my mind over the course of listening to other people’s comments. I don’t believe they need to apologize I have changed my opinion, and guess why, because that is what people do, they listen to facts. They take their ego out of the equation and don’t care about always being right and they listen to what others have to say and learn from that. That is what I did.

Again for your assault of who I am and what I stated. The same statement could be made by a cook coming in and saying “I am a cook myself and I want to gather my ideas as a cook on the subject.” I’m not saying I am better than you, I am saying I am a game designer here is what I believe in relation to this specific situation. Those other aren’t saying “hey listen to me I am an expert!” They are just stating who they are! I grouped my thoughts as a game designer. You are taking that as a threat for god knows what reason.

Thanks again for posting and have a wonderful night

Don’t worry, anyone with even half a brain knows what you’re saying.

Hopefully, ANet fall into that category.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

And to think all of this could have been avoided if it was a temporary timed buff when players logged on or if we got mystery tonics in the mail that applied this effect temporarily when used…

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Chrispy.5641

Chef discipline is insensitive to starving people across the world. Heck, I’m starving right now, and I am offended that a digital character eats better than I do. Remove Chef please Anet.

/sarcasm, still not a joke.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This happened pretty much a few hours before this “joke” disrespectful imo.
You can’t compare it with killing mobs and murders in real life because thats what this game is about. This is not a flight simulator.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Given how many terrorist bombs go off in large crowds every year, I’d say the engineer class is the most insensitive thing to ever be put in the game.

So having airplane arms is insensitive because of a plane crash? That’s ridiculous. There were probably 100’s of people stabbed in the city the weeks leading up to the game’s release. That doesn’t mean having daggers in the game is insensitive.

Two vaguely related things an insensitive joke does not make. You’ve gotta deal with your grief the best you can, but don’t blame some random game for the horrible situations they played no part in.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

I see no correlation at all between this fantasy game and reality.

Then you need to think a little harder before posting. Clearly Anet was inspired by the movie Titanic to recreate Kate Winslet’s pose. Guess where that movie was made? A Hollywood Studio. And where does that Hollywood studio reside? Reality!

The frustrating part is, Anet probably designed this day long before the crash happened, but they did not revisit the idea of releasing it. Had they done so the day might have turned out better for many.

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

I am deeply offended by people’s attempts to dictate how other people should behave and feel by playing the “I am offended” card. This is not adult behaviour – if you chose to be hypersensitive, then take the consequences of it and accept that you will be offended. It is in fact your problem, not everyone else’s. Alternatively, you can choose to grow up, get a life and to start worrying about serious stuff instead.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Enjoy your April Fools!

Posted by: funkyfuzz.9142

funkyfuzz.9142

check your privilege thanks

Check you professional victim-hood, thanks.

check your privilege thanks

Vomits

yeah, pretty much.

Is this the real life? Is this just tumblr?

Unfortunately the line is blurring. People really are changing society by grabbing the moral high ground for their own benefit by “being offended”.

Have to admit, Hitches made a great point when he said: "I’m very depressed how in this country you can be told “That’s offensive” as though those two words constitute an argument."

Yup. Offense is the new political/social power. It’s the result you get when you base a persons political/social control in their life on their inherent “weaknesses”. thus they’re issues, personal hurts, and other limitations become their ability to gain favor in political and media arena’s, and the “Offense” tag is one of the biggest openers.

If i could have a dime for every time I was offended by someone taking “offense” at something that had absolutely NO relation to their lives whatsoever, I probably wouldn’t have to be working right now.

If the OP is playing the fool day, then hat’s off. If he’s not…then this thread really is a joke. Get a life.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Thank goodness you people grasping for reasons to criticize ANet for every choice they make are hanging out on the forums instead of in-game. Glad you’re nowhere near me.

There are a few choices ANet made that I would criticize. But if I was criticizing every small thing like ya’ll are I’d come to the conclusion that the game is not for me and just go do something else.

Chrispy.5641

This happened pretty much a few hours before this “joke” disrespectful imo.
You can’t compare it with killing mobs and murders in real life because thats what this game is about. This is not a flight simulator.

So, what does old timey music and plane noises have to do with that tragedy in Germany, other than that they both distinctly involved planes? Maybe Anet should take mountains out of the game now, since Guild Wars 2 and that tragedy in Germany both distinctly involved mountains.

(still sarcasm, still not a joke)

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

The joke is based on this: (Link)

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

If we have to respect everything then eventually there will be nothing left we can have fun with.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

At least these planes aren’t killing 150 when they crash !

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

LOVE IT………..especially if it insults/annoys the PC terrorists and SJW scum that are destroying free speech (europe).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Tigaseye.2047

Ugh, I don’t know if I would exactly classify it as insensitive, personally.

However, if affected people are upset, then I guess it must be, to an extent at least.

I’m sure that wasn’t the intention, but perhaps they could have employed a little more awareness and tact, IDK?

The point about it not being insensitive, due to it being a game about war (so, you have bombs and guns and stuff), is not really pertinent, though.

As it is all about player expectations.

When you log onto a game like this, you know you will encounter warfare stuff.

So, if you had recently lost a relative in a war, you might think twice about doing so, if you thought it might affect you adversely.

Whereas, it is not normally a game about flying.

So, if you had lost a family member in a plane crash, you might log-on thinking you could escape from thoughts about it, for a while.

Only to then discover, to your horror, that you were immediately being reminded of it.

So, what was supposed to be a moment of escapism, becomes an unexpected reminder, instead.

Obviously, it’s almost impossible to avoid things that remind you of loved ones and how they passed, when you lose someone, as the world (unfortunately) can’t be made to stop for one grieving person.

However, I suppose in the case of a tragedy like this one, it is well known, so one would probably hope there would be some consideration from entertainment companies etc., at least for a week, or two.

As I say, I’m sure it wasn’t intentional.

But, yes, perhaps a little less than thoughtful, under the circumstances.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

ronpierce.2760

LOVE IT………..especially if it insults/annoys the PC terrorists and SJW scum that are destroying free speech (Global).

Fixed that for you, free of charge, friend. :}

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

the day might have turned out better for many.

Buddy, there are not as many people “offended” by this as you think there are.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: scarasyte.4179

scarasyte.4179

This is more of a T-Pose joke than it is anything else. T-Pose being that standing pose game developers look at when designing character models and armor. But regarding the plane crash issue, people die every day. Should we take death out of video games entirely because it might offend the victims of dead loved ones? This political correctness stuff needs to stop. It’s why we can’t have nice things. By this logic my engineer is offending victims of terrorism because she runs in with bombs and blows things up.

(edited by scarasyte.4179)

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Empathy is more and more becoming a rare commodity it seems. Ask yourselves those that are saying grow a thicker skin and the likes. If you lost family members within the last 2 weeks of this “joke” due to a plane going down, would you still feel the same, because if you do please see a doctor.

I’m a 100% positive if any american plane had gone down like that in the last 2 weeks or if a plane a major american presence on it this “joke” would have been thrown in the trash.

Inappropriate names only require a handful of people to report it to get renamed. So on that level this amount of outcry should prompt a response from anet otherwise they are just hypocrits.

Feel free to keep slinging insults to injury though.

Tigaseye.2047

This is more of a T-Pose joke than it is anything else. T-Pose being that standing pose game developers look at when designing character models and armor. But regarding the plane crash issue, people die every day. Should we take death out of video games entirely because it might offend the victims of dead loved ones? This political correctness stuff needs to stop. It’s why we can’t have nice things.

As I say, it depends how they died and what the game is normally about.

If a game isn’t normally about the thing your relative died to, you might log on, thinking you would be safe from references (in this case, to flying) only to find yourself immediately confronted by it.

You have to try to fully imagine it from their POV.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Car crashes occur every day, but I doubt you are going to go tell someone who is driving, or imitating the act of driving, to stop doing that because it’s insensitive to all the people who have been in a car crash.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

1. Options > Sound > Dialogue Volume : Off

2. Options > Graphics > Postprocessing : None

3. Options > Graphics > Character Model Quality : Lowest

4. Options > General Options > Enable First Person Camera > Field of View : Near Max
(Asuran) uncheck Adjust Camera to Character Height

5. You Win

Posted by: scarasyte.4179

scarasyte.4179

If a game isn’t normally about the thing your relative died to, you might log on, thinking you would be safe from references (in this case, to flying) only to find yourself immediately confronted by it.

Perhaps there is truth to that, but by the logic I’ve seen thus far in this thread I guess my Engie is offensive to victims of terrorism because I run in with bombs and blow people up. Granted I only do that for crowd control but still.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Empathy Logic is more and more becoming a rare commodity it seems.

Fixed! This isn’t about empathy… It’s about people accusing ArenaNet of being insensitive or offensive by just drawing correlations to things that aren’t there. The joke is very directly based on an old bug. (Link) They obviously planned this joke for a while since it has sound effects and post-processing, etc.

I also can’t help but facepalm that something as harmless as flying around as an airplane sputtering, “VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!” is insensitive and offensive. However wielding daggers, rifles and pistols to kill people is perfectly fine. Historically, those are much more dangerous and have hurt many more people than airplanes ever have.

Rannith.9068

im using their new camera technology against them muahahahahaha!

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

6. Turn that all back on and actually enjoy it

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Rannith.9068

enjoy what, lol

Posted by: scorekeeper.6524

scorekeeper.6524

I guess we shouldn’t watch the movie Airplane and Airplane 2: The Sequal aswell.

You do know in the wake of tragedies, TV networks do reschedule what they are showing right?

Stewardess: Surely they don’t?
Doctor: They do. And don’t call me Shirley.

Posted by: Kassad.6485

Kassad.6485

this funny only first 10 min

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

That was bad and you should feel bad.

i on the other hand, am going to hell for laughing…

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: whizkid.6194

whizkid.6194

I also can’t help but facepalm that something as harmless as flying around as an airplane sputtering, “VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!” is insensitive and offensive. However wielding daggers, rifles and pistols to kill people is perfectly fine. Historically, those are much more dangerous and have hurt many more people than airplanes ever have.

I agree with this. Once I realized what was happening I thought it was hilarious, but then I’ve always been able to separate my fantasy from reality.

In my opinion, the real tragedy in the recent plane crash is that no one noticed that the pilot had suicidal depression, and that he, in his suicidal madness, didn’t think about the fact that he was murdering ~150 people. But that doesn’t mean that people should avoid mentioning planes for fear of offending someone.

Tigaseye.2047

Perhaps there is truth to that, but by the logic I’ve seen thus far in this thread I guess my Engie is offensive to victims of terrorism because I run in with bombs and blow people up. Granted I only do that for crowd control but still.

Well, firstly, I don’t think it’s about offense.

It’s about people being, genuinely, upset and unexpectedly reminded of the thing that happened.

I think the word “offended” conjures up an indignant person, who is angry that anyone would have the nerve to mention something.

Whereas, the truth here is more that it may have made a bereaved person truly and unexpectedly upset, unnecessarily.

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all; or you would do so fully prepared with the knowledge that it might remind you of what happened.

So, your Engie is a separate issue from an unexpected plane reference, as it is a regular part of the game.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Rannith.9068

Sorry I’m not 8 yrs old , I find this event to be flaky at best with all the recent news involving airplanes. You want to look at a cheap graphical effect than can be made in minutes then go ahead … you like having your arms out … that amuses you … fine so be it. I wont complain about what you enjoy. Neither how nobody should complain that I want the game back to normal.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

A man was stabbed in my apartment complex last week it was a tragedy I demand all daggers be taken out of the game.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast