Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Trget.9048

Trget.9048

haha GG OP.

on another note the filter and the flying is really getting annoying.

“The filter can be turned off by turning off post-processing”.

Says this on Dulfy.. don’t know if it is correct or not.

Yeah I know, I saw someone post about it in another thread.. It is starting to annoy me but not enough for me to actually do anything about it lol

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all

Citation needed.

How is a citation needed?

Especially if you quote the entirety of that sentence, instead of cherry picking.

All I’m saying is that, if you know you have been recently bereaved, via warfare, to the extent that seeing something involving warfare will upset you, you are either not going to knowingly log into a game about warfare, at all, or you are going to be fully prepared for what you will see if you do.

I would have thought that was fairly self explanatory.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

Today I saw an engineer shoot at another player with a pistol. I am highly offended and my butt is hurt.

I think you are being insensitive. Obviously Anet had this planned for months and didn’t mean anything by it, but clearly you don’t understand that people have lost their friends and families in plane crashes (recently) and seeing this in game “joke” might take offence.

Clearly you don’t understand that equally nonspecific people have lost their friends and families in war, or to gun and knife crime (recently) and seeing these in game “features” might take offence.

I can see clearly that in game there are no jokes or pranks being played on me in correlation with guns in game. Also if I had been in a situation where guns traumatised me in any way I would probably avoid them and hence games with guns in them.

Seeing as this filter is there when you log in it is essentially unavoidable.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Today I saw an engineer shoot at another player with a pistol. I am highly offended and my butt is hurt.

I think you are being insensitive. Obviously Anet had this planned for months and didn’t mean anything by it, but clearly you don’t understand that people have lost their friends and families in plane crashes (recently) and seeing this in game “joke” might take offence.

Clearly you don’t understand that equally nonspecific people have lost their friends and families in war, or to gun and knife crime (recently) and seeing these in game “features” might take offence.

I can see clearly that in game there are no jokes or pranks being played on me in correlation with guns in game.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quip

Posted by: Karagra.9548

Karagra.9548

Hammurabi I see what you did there. Very clever

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I can see clearly that in game there are no jokes or pranks being played on me in correlation with guns in game.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pop_Gun_Skin

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Yes this is extremely insensitive, Arena Net had plenty of time to pull this joke and do something different but decided to go ahead anyway.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

A plane crashed on the other side of the globe. Sorry, it doesn’t effect me in the least… and a character running around like a plane in a video game is completely unrelated. People need to put on their bigboy panties and sack up.

Baer

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

This is a game which even innocent children play! Am sure they find the whole thing funny and are enjoying it……

Its sad to see how a few adults today are being weak comparing real life tragedies to a fantasy game and being offended about it………and then ruining it for everyone else!!

tim.1280

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quip

Ohh I see what you did there, you posted a link to quip. Which is still not a joke/prank being played on me and is just a weapon skin.

Posted by: irishrose.9580

irishrose.9580

The developers had plenty of time to stop this update from occurring. The number of comments detailing the way this “so called April Fools Joke” have been received should elicit an apology from the development team for their insensitivity and poor taste. Poor taste is never and excuse and the fact that this game is distributed world wide, the season and the fact that it has indeed caused grief are well documented above. I did not loose anyone in these recent tragic events, but do understand the hurt and the despair.
Very bad move Developers, you should be ashamed!

tim.1280

A plane crashed on the other side of the globe. Sorry, it doesn’t effect me in the least… and a character running around like a plane in a video game is completely unrelated. People need to put on their bigboy panties and sack up.

Insensitive
“showing or feeling no concern for others’ feelings.”

I have no more to say.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Although I’m not really offended because I know where this came from and what the intent was, I have to admit that if I were Anet, I’d have substituted a different animation for the original. Sometimes, timing makes something that is basically innocent fun into something awkward/insensitive.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

the fact that it has indeed caused grief are well documented above.

Where, precisely?

Posted by: Girion.5483

Girion.5483

lol, thanks for this april fool’s day.
I currently play my main character in a sky pirate theme and I can’t stop flying around and enjoying the noises my character makes xD. Great idea, great sounds, great visuals, great stuff all around. Thx again.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

“I am more catholic than the pope” thread…

ONE accident and no joke about planes can be made. Each day, many more people die because of the war or assaulted by other people. Then I assume you would like WvW and PvP to be closed too?

Stop being that easily offended, kitten happens everyday, and each day more people die on the road than in airplanes accidents. Go to sleep for some days and come back once it’s over.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Nokaru.7831

They obviously planned this joke for a while since it has sound effects and post-processing, etc.

Too bad it didn’t take off_ as they wanted.

Looks like Airplane Mode being a permanent item is now up in the air.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Whine whine whine whine(lol sounds like a plane sound too)… As someone on reddit put it, murders happen EVERY SINGLE HOUR, and yet we still PvP.

Perception is your own issue. If you PERCEIVE something a certain way, that is purely your problem. No one elses.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

irishrose.9580

The “so called April fools joke” is a poorly timed, insensitive attempt at school yard humor. It doesn’t matter where the tragedy occured, or when, the development team made a huge mistake with this one. If you don’t understand why people were offended you probably fall with in the age of 12-19 and don’t care about anyone but yourself. Unfortunately that includes a lot of people who play MMO’s. There are thankfully a lot more who do understand why this update should never have gone live.
Again, bad move Dev’s.

Posted by: GWplayer.2058

GWplayer.2058

This is not even a joke. It is just annoying.

Aedelric.1287

Tragedies happens every single day.
Going by this logic they would never be able to release anything at all, since it will always be possible to make a connection to said tragedy.

Such a lack of empathy, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Insensitive

I have no more to say.

Are you sensitive to the plight of the people in Africa? or the people in the middle east ? or the people in Asia ? Am sure there are many ingame references to the tragedies happening there too!

Nokaru.7831

Snip

Strawman alert, everyone!

Drennon.7190

The “so called April fools joke” is a poorly timed, insensitive attempt at school yard humor. It doesn’t matter where the tragedy occured, or when, the development team made a huge mistake with this one. If you don’t understand why people were offended you probably fall with in the age of 12-19 and don’t care about anyone but yourself. Unfortunately that includes a lot of people who play MMO’s. There are thankfully a lot more who do understand why this update should never have gone live.
Again, bad move Dev’s.

Grow a pair.

Baer

irishrose.9580

Poorly timed and executed April Fools Joke. There are so many more things that could have been done that were not offensive. For those that don’t understand why this was offensive, I feel sorry for you!

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

Poorly timed and executed April Fools Joke. There are so many more things that could have been done that were not offensive. For those that don’t understand why this was offensive, I feel sorry for you!

God you’re pathetic.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: scarasyte.4179

scarasyte.4179

Ignoring the issue at hand; I’ve enjoyed the joke so far, but it will get tiring as I have to sit through it for an hour or two. I wish I could keep the aviator cap though. I guess my Engie can be a B51 Bomber for a day. lol

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I give this troll a 9/11

Ouch. I feel bad for laughing. Not too bad mind you, just slightly.

Aedelric.1287

It is too soon, plain and simple.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Ignoring the issue at hand; I’ve enjoyed the joke so far, but it will get tiring as I have to sit through it for an hour or two. I wish I could keep the aviator cap though. I guess my Engie can be a B51 Bomber for a day. lol

There’s an aviator cap helmet skin in the gem store, 200 gems! I bought one for my boyfriend. At first he didn’t want me to spend the money, but then I pointed out that he’d paid more for the bottle of coke he was having on his desk.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

As I say, it depends how they died and what the game is normally about.

If a game isn’t normally about the thing your relative died to, you might log on, thinking you would be safe from references (in this case, to flying) only to find yourself immediately confronted by it.

You have to try to fully imagine it from their POV.

Perhaps there is truth to that, but by the logic I’ve seen thus far in this thread I guess my Engie is offensive to victims of terrorism because I run in with bombs and blow people up. Granted I only do that for crowd control but still.

Well, firstly, I don’t think it’s about offense.

It’s about people being, genuinely, upset and unexpectedly reminded of the thing that happened.

I think the word “offended” conjures up an indignant person, who is angry that anyone would have the nerve to mention something.

Whereas, the truth here is more that it may have made a bereaved person truly and unexpectedly upset, unnecessarily.

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all; or you would do so fully prepared with the knowledge that it might remind you of what happened.

So, your Engie is a separate issue from an unexpected plane reference, as it is a regular part of the game.

That might conceivably be true if the persons claiming offense had family members or friends who died in that plane. Otherwise, I can’t see it. Saddened that it happened maybe, but bereaved is a strong emotion that people feel for the loss of family or close friends.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Celtic Lady.3729

Sorry, it doesn’t effect me in the least…

Even if this egocentric view was how I was capable of feeling, I wouldn’t admit it in public.

Posted by: Ivan.3401

Ivan.3401

Holy mother of God the sheer stupidity of the people who are equating something virtual to real life is astounding. Even if it’s just an annoyance, don’t you have a life to live outside of your room? Correlation isn’t causation, I’d have hoped at this point in humanity’s existence everyone would have a mere modicum of logic. Truly pitiful.

tim.1280

Insensitive

I have no more to say.

Are you sensitive to the plight of the people in Africa? or the people in the middle east ? or the people in Asia ? Am sure there are many ingame references to the tragedies happening there too!

The point is, there are no in game jokes about this kind of thing. I am not standing up for anything, I just think it is wrong to insult those that have just gone through a tragedy and might not be in a correct state of mind at the moment.

Nokaru.7831

The joke’s based on an old bug from 2012. (Link)

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The point is, there are no in game jokes about this kind of thing. I am not standing up for anything, I just think it is wrong to insult those that have just gone through a tragedy and might not be in a correct state of mind at the moment.

There are no in-game jokes about plane crashes either.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Yes, I believe this is thread No. 7776 on the subject?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

you know whats too soon? an average of 88 people die per day due to guns in the US… so potentially 88 people died today in the US at the wrong end of a gun… and yet this game still has guns in it! like what the hell man! it’s tooo kitten soon!

Posted by: Hammurabi.5942

Hammurabi.5942

Insensitive

I have no more to say.

kitten , I didn’t realize that 1930’s sepia filter and period dress was an insult/reference to current events.

Attachments:

Posted by: Aderic.6028

Aderic.6028

I have been pleased with Arenanet in the past but I want you to know that I find it in bad taste and lacking sensitivity with the current animation of the in game character airplane function because of the recent plane crash in the French Alps. I knew someone on that plane and I’m not happy with the lack of sensitivity for people eho lost someone on that flight.

I’m not happy because of your oversensitivity.

These things happen, it really does suck. It is truly horrible that these things happen.

That’s life. If we had to mourn for every catastrophe we would be in constant mourning. Just try to imagine what doesn’t make the news.

My condolences for your loss.

(edited by Aderic.6028)

Drennon.7190

Don’t worry forum! This should help.

Attachments:

Baer

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

Even more than Anet’s pretty amusing April’s fools, I wait for the unbelievably kittened ways people are gonna find to complain about it. This year doesn’t disappoint.

-Blackgate-

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Sorry, it doesn’t effect me in the least…

Even if this egocentric view was how I was capable of feeling, I wouldn’t admit it in public.

You should though. You should be clear about how you feel about things and say them out loud / write them down. Feeling how you think you should feel and not feelling how you feel is not a healthy thing.

People are just more sensitive about things happening nearer, and those that are visible, feasable.

There is nothing egocentric about not feeling too bad for tragedies in other parts of the world, if you would do, you would get depressed, and wallow in sorrow for all of your life. You simply cannot feel bad for every starving child in the world, for every human/animal suffering in cancer, or everyone wh is currently fighting a war and dying. Every few seconds, some dies in the world.

Take my advice.

If you were wondering, yes I’m a psychologist irl.

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:

Pixelpumpkin.4608

There is nothing egocentric about not feeling too bad for tragedies in other parts of the world,

And here I am, absolutely feeling bad for other people, including the people who recently lost loved ones.

But the thing is, playing 1920 airplane and blowing raspberries while wearing an aviator cap has nothing to do with commercial aviation, actual planes, plane crashes, or loss. Not a thing.

If I lost someone in a car crash, would I yell at ANet a week later for adding a “holy grail knights with coconuts for pretend-horses” animation to the game? No.

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

And if ANet had pulled out the joke in the last minute, people would be furious that there was no April Fool’s special joke this year.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Next year there won’t be an aprils fool joke, and people will whine cus they got lazy and didn’t do anything.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Pixelpumpkin.4608

And if ANet had pulled out the ke in the last minute, people would be furious that there was no April Fool’s special joke this year.

Yeah but people on here think that ANet pulls features and changes out of its butt in 15 minutes. People don’t believe that this stuff has probably been in QA for the last few weeks.

Celtic Lady.3729

You should though. You should be clear about how you feel about things and say them out loud.

Saying everything I feel and everything that comes into my head is not a decent way to live. Sorry. lol

If one of my employees is thinking about me, "Wow, she is so hot, I want to grab her and pull her into a closet and bang her good, " No thanks, I don’t want to hear this or know this.

Keeping one’s feelings and thoughts to one’s self is a very healthy and wise thing to do in many, many a situation.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Actually the sepia filter and the granny thing is annoying but other than that i thought the joke is great.
I’ve got some screens captures from this morning and is quite fun.

Well done Anet!!

PS: I’m european but i can’t be bother to be “offended” for every little thing that happens in the internet (aka the whole world).

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!