Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

If I could at least disable this airplane nonsense then I’d be fine.

It was fun for about 5 seconds and now just annoying.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: fumbii.3582

fumbii.3582

We are playing a game in which we can kill others players kitten .
So stop whining.

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

i dont make the headlines, i find us gun killings apaling, but its a kittened up world where this doesnt make head lines.

Only really major disasters do, like this airplane crash.

how can you not see the difference?

I don’t see a difference. A human life is a human life.
It’s not “more important” because it got “news coverage”.

And it doesn’t have a place in a GAME.

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

i dont make the headlines, i find us gun killings apaling, but its a kittened up world where this doesnt make head lines.

I don’t see a difference. Human lives are human lives, no matter how widely they’re reported.

It seems that you are the one lacking in empathy, since you’re only feel it when the media tells you to.

“i find us gun killings apaling,”

reading comprehension much.

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Err i think a lot of the worlds population / countries think another way than you then, if you dont consider this a major disaster, have a great day, while we others are sad.

Yeah let’s go ask someone in Africa or Asia how upset they are about a plane crash that killed Americans and Europeans.

Hate to break it to you but the majority of the world isn’t upset about this.

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

Dear Anet, repeat this joke on 9/11 with many fireworks please. Outside from usa noone care about this single event. Tragedy happens everywhere, everytime.

/cynicism off

It’s really bad timing, but luckely it’s a single day event, it won’t stay forever. So stay calm, if this is annoying you, play another game. If you like it, have fun.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

My son (who is 7) and enjoys GW2 very much, is not pleased with this April 1st mod. I have promised to ask when it will disppear, or if there is any way to disable it?

He just wants his hero back again…

You know that GW2 is PG12+?

So? Doesn’t PG just mean that you need to play it with him?

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

To someones loved ones.

gg.

This is a first for me defending lordkrall, but seriously dude why do you feel the deaths involved over a tragedy that was widely publicized demands extra empathy and special privileges compared to the several deaths that occur everyday but dont make for great click-bait for the media’s stories? Every death hurts someone somewhere, just because one story is popular enough to make international news doesnt mean the world should be careful not to reference the tragedy in the slightest. As many have said, why should bladed weapons be allowed in the game when everyday somewhere a life is taken by a knife.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t see a difference. Human lives are human lives, no matter how widely they’re reported.

It seems that you are the one lacking in empathy, since you’re only feel it when the media tells you to.

“i find us gun killings apaling,”

reading comprehension much.

Then what is this difference you’re talking about? Either anything that could possibly reference any recent tragedy should be taken out of the game, or nothing.

(edited by Olvendred.3027)

Vykoz.7803

but they consider a plane crash a major disaster, which is what i wrote.

and ofc they are not in tears over it, but a lot of european countries are.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Have you heard? Anet will remove all combat from the game, since too many people already died in warfare..

“People who cannot grasp the principle of humor, are most humorous of them all”

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

My characters are stuck in jesus position because it is easter. I see no relation with any planes.

LOL

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Styxx.1564

I live in Spain. I don’t see a lot of tears around here.

It’s Spring, people are out, enjoying, laughing, having beer and tapas. How insensitive.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Hello, after seeing the recent reaction regarding thie year’s plane disrespectful April’s fool, I got reminded of yet another tragedy. My hopes for a mature company are crashed into ground, shattered in pieces
Last year’s April’s fool was a painful day to live, for me and for many others. Trying to escape my pathology, hydrocephalus, I took off by playing Guild Wars 2… only to get reminded of my desease by Arenanet on april the 1st. I was deeply offended by this game showing off and making fun of “bobble heads”.
I couldn’t forget this painfull attack, but I had hope Arenanet wouldn’t make twice the same error of hurting their playerbase under the wing of “joke”…

No to bobbleheads ! No to plane mimics !
I am truly leaving, seeking some fresh air.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Vulpus.2483

Vulpus.2483

There are serious plane crashes on a fairly regular basis. By the logic here we should never mention planes and air travel and the whole thing should be a taboo subject. As should, I guess, cars, motorbikes, bicycles etc etc.

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Players using the “plane theme” to have “fun” by throwing themselves off cliffs in the Shiverpeaks, posting “Germanwings going down” in map chat and asking for a rezz are the real people that are insensitive and plain idiots mocking the dead and their relatives.

And this is what I meant with “bad timing”. I still don’t think that the prank itself is bad , i just wish they would have waited with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvynIFh3ZY
“Piloten ist nichts verboten, drum gib’ Vollgas und flieg um die Welt!” (there’s nothing forbidden for a pilot, so accelerate fully and fly and around the world). sing

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

To someones loved ones.

gg.

This is a first for me defending lordkrall, but seriously dude why do you feel the deaths involved over a tragedy that was widely publicized demands extra empathy and special privileges compared to the several deaths that occur everyday but dont make for great click-bait for the media’s stories? Every death hurts someone somewhere, just because one story is popular enough to make international news doesnt mean the world should be careful not to reference the tragedy in the slightest. As many have said, why should bladed weapons be allowed in the game when everyday somewhere a life is taken by a knife.

+ 1…all these people are suddenly feeling victim somehow..and forgetting they are playing this game and virtually killing numerous enemies, birds, does, bears, boars, insects, fellow players, etc etc . Occasional Victim Behaviour, huge opportunistic QQ level.
Stop playing if you feel this being against your so called “principle”

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Just because a few people are not offended, does not stop the joke being offensive.

Arena Net could have done anything they wanted, but they chose a subject that was sensitive. The fact is they were inconsiderate, hopefully in the future they will just give everyone SAB, that is all most people want anyway.

Alternatively, just because a few people are offended, doesn’t mean that the joke itself correlated to any real-life events at all.

People could have taken the joke as face value (re: a joke), but they chose to be offended where none was intended. The fact is, they were hyper-sensitive and hopefully in the future they will realize that the world is not out to offend them or that most people aren’t anyway.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Pretty much this.

Self-proclaimed moral saints like the OP of this thread (and similar) sicken me far more than this April fools joke possibly ever could.

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

It’s now very common to hear people say, “I’m rather offended by that”, as if that gives them certain rights. It’s no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase.

“I’m offended by that.”

Well, so kitten what?

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

You guys are tooooo sensitive.
Yes the crash was a disaster and a lot of people died. Yet it’s far from beeing the worst. People die everyday in Africa from the lack of clean water and from hunger. Yet nobody found anything offensive about “food fights” in other games.

It is a JOKE, what don’t you understand in this?
It just like the kids who pretend to be planes… you won’t tell them they couldn’t play that day just because a plane crashed somewhere.

Get over it and stop spreading your stupid nonsense everywhere in these forums.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

PG12+. So noted. I play it too, and I take full responsibility. :-)
He likes to explore the world, learn new skills, and slay monsters. I don’t see the harm in that.

As long as you make sure that mapchat stays permablocked, I can’t argue with that. -nods-

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

When the Christmas Tsunami of Dec 24th, 2004 killed 230 thousand people, that was a tragedy also but Christmas was still celebrated the next day even though the Tsunami’s name was linked to Christmas. People still went to Christmas parties and gave each other gifts. No one suggested that they make Christmas a solemn, quiet affair with no parties, gifts, food and alcohol because 230 thousand people had died the day before to a disaster that will forever have the name Christmas attached to it.

People had empathy for those that had died in that event. I still remember the video of the young couple searching the beach afterwards for their child, trying to find him or his body, and the people frantically trying to find lost friends and relatives. But life goes on. Tragedies happen. People showed sympathy by donating money and items, but they still lived their lives.

It would be more reasonable to ask if ANet had made a donation rather than saying they should stop an ingame event completely unrelated to the plane crash.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

And this is what I meant with “bad timing”. I still don’t think that the prank itself is bad , i just wish they would have waited with it.
“Piloten ist nichts verboten, drum gib’ Vollgas und flieg um die Welt!” (there’s nothing forbidden for a pilot, so acceerate fully and fly and around the world). sing

Stop posting in german, you insensitive person!

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

We just had a string of terrible plane crashes, including one last week. How does something so insensitive slip through?

The German forums, where people apparently had family members affected by this tragedy, are really upset: https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz.

While I can relate (I’m from Germany and somewhat close to some of the victims), really, this would happen with basically anything they can pick, somewhere on the world.

It’s very difficult to avoid this, and ultimately you just got to pick your poison.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Styxx.1564

On that note…

Tequatl’s Tsunami strike is very insensitive.

/s

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

“Piloten ist nichts verboten, drum gib’ Vollgas und flieg um die Welt!” (there’s nothing forbidden for a pilot, so acceerate fully and fly and around the world). sing

Stop posting in german, you insensitive person!

Dude, i translated it for you. ^^"
the song just fits the way it looks because of the sepia filter.

metaldude.4132

I am currently waiting for the first youtube like this XD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDEhLw1PVI

“ANET..leave all tragedy in the world ALONE!!!!”

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Tragedies happens every single day.
Going by this logic they would never be able to release anything at all, since it will always be possible to make a connection to said tragedy.

True, but on the other hand do you think they would of run this 7 days after 9/11? (this question is rhetorical by the way)

Posted by: Kousetsu.1627

Kousetsu.1627

why all the horrible puns tho, makes it seem like a troll post.

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

On that note…

Tequatl’s Tsunami strike is very insensitive.

/s

hahaha, never thought about it this way.
OMG Anet how dare you? please take tequatl off the game you insensitive pr**ks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

why all the horrible puns tho, makes it seem like a troll post.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

MrRuin.9740

When I logged in tonight, I first smiled. April 1st… However, my smile froze rapidly. There was a major plane crash last week in France in which 150 people lost their lifes. For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Given the recent event and given that the event is still present in the media, the idea was suboptimal. I would suggest taking out the april fool immediately and write an ingame apology.

There is tragedy every day. This a hyper-sensitive age we live in, where people will connect anything they can to take offense to something not even related.
There is war, shootings, car crashes, beatings, murders, robberies, natural disasters, famine, every single day in the world.
Shall we postpone the release of every game, movie and book that might somehow be connected to any of these and take offense where none was even close to being intended?

yeah and they are reported in local tv and can reach to the internet news sites or youtube. we all see that.

but how would you feel man? do you pray or wish to not happen to you? if you do, what do you feel about the victims, or their loved ones?

i will give you in game gold if you wish that those tragedies that happen everyday happen to you.

You’re really reaching here. A plane crashed not an hour from my house a few days ago. Yes, I feel for everyone involved in that. No, I do not take offense from a dumb joke in an MMO. Or any other flight simulator.

So, because I don’t take offense and jump on the bandwagon to hang Anet for something as stupid as this must mean I enjoy tragedies, have no feelings and obviously must want this to happen to me?
Well, certainly don’t want that, so hand me a torch and pitchfork too.

And of course, this coming from someone who offered to pay me to say I wish harm on myself……which hey, I could use some in game gold, so go right ahead.

Posted by: Kousetsu.1627

Kousetsu.1627

the gemans i played with in eotm last night dindt seem to be offended for one second.

they where all like ‘GW2 = German Wings 2?! #ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED’

and we all went about killing everything in airplane mode lol

Styxx.1564

Going by this logic they would never be able to release anything at all, since it will always be possible to make a connection to said tragedy.

True, but on the other hand do you think they would of run this 7 days after 9/11? (this question is rhetorical by the way)

I missed the official sheet that mentions the timeframe after which it’s acceptable to forget about a tragedy, shrug it off, and continue joking about it without hurting anyone.

Can someone send it to me please?

metaldude.4132

I missed the official sheet that mentions the timeframe after which it’s acceptable to forget about a tragedy, shrug it off, and continue joking about it without hurting anyone.

I found it..it is in my imaginary world called “LaLaLand” ..now to find a way to send it to you…might take a while, sorry for that..

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Oh, the Humanity!!!!!

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Whilst playing today I jumped off a ledge and hit the side of a building.

This event has reminded me of 9/11 and now I am traumatized all over again.

Please remove.

#neverforgetpeoplearestupid

/sarcasm

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yes I do.

They released the destruction of Lion’s Arch just after fierce bombings and battles around the world. And yet no one had any issue with that whatsoever.
But I suppose that might be because those bombings and battles didn’t happen in the Western world, and therefore they are not as “tragic or important”.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Vizen.2049

Vizen.2049

If this event played out a week after the 9/11 attacks would anybody be trying to defend this April Fools Joke, There were protest to rename the Lord of the Rings The Two Towers Movie for kitten sack because it was deemed inappropriate. Yet a string of plane crashes in Europe and Asia and apparently its all hunky dory and were just being soft skinned.

Also coming from experience, yes when i had a huge family tragedy i escaped into my games to take a break from the world. so yes my pressing affairs were to play MMO’s and forget about my problems for a few hours.

Vykoz.7803

yeah you guys are so funny and trying hard to come with comparison with content that are in game and real life dissasters, its really making people having an even better day, thinking of more disasters and death.

what a great joke their event turned out to be, their forum filled with hate and talks of deaths and a lot of people not playing.

If you cant understand that this in fact triggered sad thoughts in a lot of players and annoyed the hell out of other people that dont share this kind of humor, i have no hope for you.

MrRuin.9740

Yes I do.

The released the destruction of Lion’s Arch just after fierce bombings and battles around the world. And yet no one had any issue with that whatsoever.
But I suppose that might be because those bombings and battles didn’t happen in the Western world, and therefore they are not as “tragic or important”.

Sensitivity is very selective, you know

Posted by: Vulpus.2483

Vulpus.2483

Get off your white charger and stop with the silly crusading. I actually find it more insensitive when the moral outrage trolls desperately find comparisons for issues like this in order to have some pointless, self-righteous forum crusade about it.

Styxx.1564

I’m in the game right now. There are a lot of people playing.
I’m adult enough to know how to separate things.
I have humor and I don’t get easily offended by trivial jokes.

And..

I don’t need your hope, thanks. I have plenty in me

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

WOW – people need to take a chill pill. I get the April Fools joke – it was based on the movie Wings (a silent film about WWI pilots). Also, didn’t you ever play airplane as a child?

People really need to get off this fake indignation rant and move on.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Just because a few people are not offended, does not stop the joke being offensive.

Arena Net could have done anything they wanted, but they chose a subject that was sensitive. The fact is they were inconsiderate, hopefully in the future they will just give everyone SAB, that is all most people want anyway.

actually they didnt choose a sensitive topic, this was likely planned and tested months in advance.

And its not really that sensitive an issue. Its just pretending to be a plane, thats it. Its been happening since the 1950s and it really isnt about anything else. You are connecting it with something it has only a tangential connection to.

Posted by: Weirwood.5792

Weirwood.5792

We just had a string of terrible plane crashes, including one last week. How does something so insensitive slip through?

The German forums, where people apparently had family members affected by this tragedy, are really upset: https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz.

Planes land all the time (multiple times a second) all across the world. So in reality this is perfectly fine and well fitting sir.

Vykoz.7803

be glad theres mega servers that put you together with the other happy people.

my guilds are empty, my friends are not going online till tomorrow, same for their friends and same for a lot of other people.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I guess I can interpret everyone’s anger as a testimony to just how good non-world-2 SAB was?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

people should really start taking meds for their issues xD cry me a river
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ula8oi_M4Ww