Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gobSIDES.7405

gobSIDES.7405

We can’t deny it’s something of a gaff from Anet, but I don’t think its offensive a all…untimely yes.

Posted by: Izziee.8392

Izziee.8392

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

kitten , my whole day is ruined now that you won’t be playing.

Posted by: Rivercity.7142

Rivercity.7142

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

kitten , my whole day is ruined now that you won’t be playing.

calling someone “kitten” makes you appear witty, edgy and unique.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Arenanet already apologised that the April Fool’s offended the sensibilities of players. It was not intended.

The problem here is that they really shouldn’t need to. This prank has likely been planned for some time, it’s not their fault a plane went down and made the news.

Planes crash every day and the vast majority of them don’t make the news. People die every day, but it doesn’t make the news. The world doesn’t just stop because of it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Exactly how does going “airplane” ruin gameplay? Besides, this is just for one day. Everything will go back to normal by then.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

April fools day was better implemented in Guild Wars 1 : It only worked in Cities and not in explorable map …So your future pranks need to work in LA and racial Cities only. Not in Dungeons ,Not in WvW-PvP, Not in Fractals , Not in explorable map , Not in Living/personal Story.

I know you can not please everyone but this suggestion is, I believe, the best compromise.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

This thread reminded me why I tend to avoid these forums nowadays. The lack of common sense is just . . . overwhelming.

Gone to Reddit.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Then take the day off. It’ll be removed when the day resets this evening.

They didn’t remove the bobble heads when people with no sense of humor kittened, I don’t see them removing this either. It’s the standard April Fools prank. We get one every year.

Posted by: Slaptjip.4895

Slaptjip.4895

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, when someone raises a reasonable opinion and another reply with negative replies such as some of the above you make yourself look obnoxious.

When someone posts a opinion deemed reasonable and you have nothing good to say or agree, at least have the decency to be well mannered in your reply.

Merlott & Wildkitten, really, just because you do not agree with someones opinion you have to belittle or be rude to them? You are just downright obnoxious.

I have done exactly as JustTrogdor said, I logged in, hated what I saw, went into WvW to see if it was all over, got confirmation, logged out and loaded up another game.

Will be back when this graphical abomination fades back into the mists and at least respect those who enjoy the joke.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This thread reminded me why I tend to avoid these forums nowadays. The lack of common sense is just . . . overwhelming.

Yeah no crap.

No common sense.
No sense of humor.
Just….ugh. I don’t have words (that wouldn’t get me infracted)…

Posted by: Regenas.6845

Regenas.6845

Arenanet already apologised that the April Fool’s offended the sensibilities of players. It was not intended.

Where did they apologize though?

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

What does this have to do with world war 2? The sepia and aviator hats are clearly more 1920’s barnstormer than WW2
for an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5CcpSGT8lc

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

From the german forums red post (very rough google translation)

“Good morning everyone,
I want to assure on behalf of ArenaNet, that we have the greatest respect for the airplane tragedy that has recently occurred in Europe, and bring our regret at. Our thoughts and sympathy are with all those who have lost their lives in the plane crash in the bereaved families, relatives and friends.
I want to assure you that our April Fool’s in no way a reference to the tragic events of recent days is still in any way related to them. The work on this joke was planned several months ago, and integrated into the game during a longer lasting development process.
We would like to apologize to all those who feel reminded of the joke of the events in France, or who have lost a loved one.”

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

There is always someone who dislikes the annual April fools joke. It’s just for one day. Arena Net is not going to “fix it”. If you don’t like it just log off and come back tomorrow.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Huh… I just found this never before seen leaked video too:

How insensitive and distatseful can you get.

Posted by: lepasconnu.4897

lepasconnu.4897

yeah because tragedies happen everyday, right?

Yes, they do.

People die daily from war, starvation, sickness. It usually don’t go a day without a bomb or a mine exploding somewhere, killing or maiming a bunch of people.

but to your loved ones?

Man you’ve got some serious problems… Go see a psychiatrist, I really think you definitely need one.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Where did they apologize though?

https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz/page/2#post433794

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

OH MY kittenIGN GOD its jsut planes not carshing planes you oversenitiv on functional in a the real world babies.
if anet would flash plane crash gif in game it would be inapropriate you KITTENS.

Posted by: Baltov.9608

Baltov.9608

Its fine its not like A net was like hey lets be an kitten you guys need to stop being whiny crybabies and see what Anet was trying to do

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

I missed the official sheet that mentions the timeframe after which it’s acceptable to forget about a tragedy, shrug it off, and continue joking about it without hurting anyone.

Can someone send it to me please?

Get off your white charger and stop with the silly crusading. I actually find it more insensitive when the moral outrage trolls desperately find comparisons for issues like this in order to have some pointless, self-righteous forum crusade about it.

And yet… you didn’t answer the question about how long we should wait until a tragedy becomes acceptable?

And I don’t sit on my charger. It’s hot.

It’s not a question of ‘how much time’ unless the content is comparable. To decide that you have to use some SENSIBLE REASONING. That would consist of asking whether any real comparison can be made.

ACTUALLY CONSIDER: If GW2 had suddenly included content that depicted an air disaster I would most definitely get your point, but this faux, contrived moral outrage because ’there’s planes in it!’ is laughable, absurd, childish and slightly pathetic.

well they DO had the pact fleet crashing…….

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

OP, the German forum thread you quoted was more about that PLAYERS are insensitive. Running around with arms stretched out and a Snoopy pilot cap on your head making bwwww noises with your lips has nothing to do with the Germanwings flight which ended so tragically. But PLAYERS who cry “German Wings!” and throw themselves from high places in Divinity’s Reach – those are insensitive.

I don’t like the April Fools joke either. But not because insensitivity of ArenaNet but because it lasts longer than 10 minutes. It was fun for a short while, but then I wanted to switch it off. But that is no problem for me, there is still a galactic empire in Distant Worlds Universe waiting for my tender but strict care…

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

From the german forums red post (very rough google translation)

“Good morning everyone,
I want to assure on behalf of ArenaNet, that we have the greatest respect for the airplane tragedy that has recently occurred in Europe, and bring our regret at. Our thoughts and sympathy are with all those who have lost their lives in the plane crash in the bereaved families, relatives and friends.
I want to assure you that our April Fool’s in no way a reference to the tragic events of recent days is still in any way related to them. The work on this joke was planned several months ago, and integrated into the game during a longer lasting development process.
We would like to apologize to all those who feel reminded of the joke of the events in France, or who have lost a loved one.”

I wish they didn’t acknowledge the tear-fest. Sure it sucks, sure some people who might have been ACTUALLY affected by the incident were struck by the aprils fools. But by “apologising” so many of these SJW and faux-outrage imbeciles are going to use it as justification for being a bunch of kittenwits. It didn’t need an official apology.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill…stop trying to put today’s events into a computer game. Most of us are here to forget about the kitten awful world we live in for a few hours a day/week.

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

With the plane crash story lol I mean ok it was a tragedy and we know that a lot of people died and some players relatives was there . I’m really sorry you have all my sympathy . But seriously why does it matter if gw2 did an April’s fool about planes and stuff I mean I work in an aircraft I travel a lot and I’m really loving this plane thing please don’t ruin it for the rest of us . We all had relatives die in different ways does that mean playing necro is offensive because he’s raising the dead ?
This logic is just invalid I’m sorry .

There’s no logic to trolling. Trolling aims at a different goal than making sense.

-Blackgate-

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Last year, I had a family member who died in a plane accident.

Yet, I found this April Fool’s ingame joke quite amusing.

I did not made any link between the two. Because there are none to be made.

Really, who here never pretended to be a plane by stretching their arms and making noise with their mouth when they were kids?

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I do not feel Arena Net was insensitive at all. Our characters are pretending to be airplanes. The color filter used simulates a time in the past. I’m sure quite a few of us did this at some point in our childhood. This is a game and should be treated as such. If you don’t care for the April Fool’s joke then by all means take the day off. It will be “back to normal” tomorrow.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

The problem is that plane accident happened ONLY few days ago, almost a week. Of course this “joke” could affect people from EU, it’s too recent for us.

A lot of people of our contry (and other countries) died because a pilot decided to crash a plane in a mountain. We are sensitive about it and imo when I saw this april fools joke I felt really bad. ANet could have thought to change it before add it because it affect to the sensitivity of EU players (more for germans and spanish players)

Anyways I see in this thread a lot of comment like “man tragedies happens”, “people die everyday in the word”, “we kill people in this game and none cares!” and kittenty comments like that. It’s not the same!! I respect your opinion, but you dont respect ours. You could have a bit of emphaty.

Ok tragedies happens but when a TRAGIC happened only some days ago you can’t add a “joke” like this one… If we feel offended just let us to say it and stop making ridiculous comparisons with the excuse “it’s just a joke”.

Are you Europe?

If not, please don’t speak for everyone in Europe. Thanks.

Posted by: Trapp.4067

Trapp.4067

funny for around 30 seconds……… then just annoying . who on earth thought it was a good plan to impose this crap on everyone and NOT give them a way out, congratz on shooting yourself in the foot

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Not so funny → annoying after 2 min → where is the OFF-button?

Thank you for the list Arikyali.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

I’m offended and worried about a 7 years old playing this game…i mean what if one day he starts trowing balls of fire from his hand and starts killing lizzards and plants and plant dogs…maybe some giant…plant…humanoid thingys….

This is nothing to laugh about…it is so offensive…he is so young that he will think everything is normal…and will start just switching from fire to earth atunments…or maybe pick up a Giant Kitten Greatsword and just swirl around…

it is insensitive and offensive to kids that can’t trow fire out of their hands…

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

first of all, why do you assume it applies to people in the US? Secondly, not seconding your position does not equal not understanding. I am German and understand what you want, I just happen to disagree.

Back to the topic: Well, what happens here is very different from what you bring up, an enactment of an event is a lot different from “something having to do with planes” in this April´s fool joke. And even if there was such a school shooting simulation. Be offended all you like, I keep it with the Stephen Frye quote earlier in this thread: That does not give you any privelige on other people´s actions and opionions. I don´t care whether you are offended or not. I don´t have to comply to your values and opinions. That in fact is one of the pillars of civilization, my feelings, thoughts and opinions are not to be determined by a collective or some single person.

It as a Pars pro toto.
If you go to this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Getting-to-Know-Your-Fellow-Posters-Thread/first you see there are a lot of the forum users come from the US.
I don’t see anything wrong with you disagreeing with me.
I just think that from a " costumer relations management" pov it would have be wiser when A.net would have taken something that is not as easily connected to “real world”-stuff. they would have prevented a lot of unnessecary kittening and trolling.
just my humble opinion.
I could also have taken 9/11 as an example, but a lot of people have already done that.
it was more about making people think ,that something that is just “some incident at the other side of the world” can be “something extremely close to me and my daily life” at another

Great, you used the correct philological term for the exact thing I said, that is not really invalidating.

I think differently, we live in a world where the public and corporations are already driven before some SJW and other, let´s call them PC enthusiasts. A comparatively small number of people can blow things out of proportion and bully people to act in a way they think is right because they have internet access. This day is as good a day as any other for a corporation to take a stand and ignore these enacted “kittenstorms”.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

I love how this has become a “only Europeans understand” thing now. There were Americans on the plane that crashed in the alps. So please, PC Warriors, find a better excuse for having the emotional resiliency of a toddler.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

In GW1 the Cities were the only non instanced places, that is the reason of such mechanic there.
In GW2 every map works like GW1 cities and outposts.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Last year, I had a family member who died in a plane accident.

Yet, I found this April Fool’s ingame joke quite amusing.

I did not made any link between the two. Because there are none to be made.

Really, who here never pretended to be a plane by stretching their arms and making noise with their mouth when they were kids?

Yes… When they were… Kids… O.O

-slowly lowers arms irl-

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

You’re extremely daft.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

The problem is that plane accident happened ONLY few days ago, almost a week. Of course this “joke” could affect people from EU, it’s too recent for us.

A lot of people of our contry (and other countries) died because a pilot decided to crash a plane in a mountain. We are sensitive about it and imo when I saw this april fools joke I felt really bad. ANet could have thought to change it before add it because it affect to the sensitivity of EU players (more for germans and spanish players)

Anyways I see in this thread a lot of comment like “man tragedies happens”, “people die everyday in the word”, “we kill people in this game and none cares!” and kittenty comments like that. It’s not the same!! I respect your opinion, but you dont respect ours. You could have a bit of emphaty.

Ok tragedies happens but when a TRAGIC happened only some days ago you can’t add a “joke” like this one… If we feel offended just let us to say it and stop making ridiculous comparisons with the excuse “it’s just a joke”.

Are you Europe?

If not, please don’t speak for everyone in Europe. Thanks.

Ehmm I didn’t speak for everyone in EU that’s why I added “more for German and Spanish” (Yes I’m from Europe)

how is some random stranger from Europe more relevant to me than a random stranger from Australia or Africa. If you think that through, according to you some random European life has more importance to you than some random life someplace else. If that isn´t hubris, I don´t know. Personally, I don´t have to feel anything for what is to me an anonymous collective, but I don´t single out anonymous people because of their origin either.

Posted by: Gnar.8463

Gnar.8463

Ehmm I didn’t speak for everyone in EU that’s why I added “more for German and Spanish” (Yes I’m from Europe)

German here. It’s ridiculous how people draw any connection between the crash and a harmless joke on April Fools’ Day , which was clearly developed before the plane crash.

In my opinion this stupid outrage(mostly by people who just want to complain and don’t give two kittens about the crash) is more offensive than this little event could ever be…

Posted by: Toxicity.5392

Toxicity.5392

you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

I lol’d

I did too…LOL.. because he’s right! With this “joke”, Anet probably got more people to NOT play GW2 today than many hackers who have attempted to do the same! (Look at the forum postings for evidence.) That’s sad.

I play every day. And tonight I logged in, tried to WvW and it was horrible. So I came back to the forums, found how to turn the sepia off and kill the annoying idiotic, drunk/stoned sounds my toon was making and tried battling again… but it was still bull-kitten. So, yeah, I agree with Merciless – self hacked.

If I could give you a medal for that post I would.

I farm more than a chinese gold seller.

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

I like the suggestion. I wonder what the official impact of the airplane mode was in terms of player count and the like, given the bellyaching. Surely they capture that data.

Posted by: maelys ashe.9017

maelys ashe.9017

It’s April Fools Day and part of GW tradition. Some people seriously need to loosen up. Those people who say they’re offended because it reminds them of recent regrettable events, we run around all day killing everything from fluffy bunnies to other players in a multitude of ways. Every day in the real world people die by the thousands in manifold horrible ways. Perhaps we should ban all RMOs because they remind us of mankind’s savagery, stupidity and selfishness. It’s a game. Try and distinguish between that and reality, you might have some fun.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Lets be objective about this, what happened is a tragedy and its okey to have strong feelings about, I know I had when I heard the news but that being said we can just project everything on to it because if we did we’d have no games to play at all because everything any game does has something analogous happen in real life that’s equally ugly.

Like others have pointed out this april fool joke has absolutely nothing related to what happened. Anet arent trying to make fun of that, who would even think that? This is just us projecting one thing over another.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!”

— Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

/signed a large chuck of the gw community….

source?? As far I am concerned it is just the complainers who are very voicey over this.

Merlot.8567

Lets be objective about this, what happened is a tragedy and its okey to have strong feelings about.
Like others have pointed out this april fool joke has absolutely nothing related to what happened.

People that seemingly have no connection to anything that happened in Europe are so upset about it. That’s the kittening mind boggling thing.

Like kitten people. kitten.

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

Its the same every year, Anet makes “hilarious” graphical change that manages to kitten lots of people off and doesn’t give a kittene. They did it badly all through Gw1 and the choo-choo is still going

Yes it was funny, for the first 10-15 mins, now its just irritating fighting other players with no animations and the annoying sound

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Guys I think you are misunderstanding my words lol. I’m not saying I care less for a person coz their origin. I’m just talking about I know.

This accident affected in my country :/ so I talk about it. If people from other countries died in this accident ofc I feel bad for them too.

I just let a comment to express I felt bad about this April Fools theme, and you guys are attacking me know, talking about other topic. I understand this don’t affect the same for everybody. I’m just talking for myself now lol

We no longer live in a world were thats true anymore. News is no longer regional is now global. Its not just the countries involved who hear about tragedies like this, its everyone. And like you said yourself everyone who heard about it felt bad because its an awful tragedy and perhaps more because it didnt have to happen.

Merlot.8567

/signed a large chuck of the gw community….

source?? As far I am concerned it is just the complainers who are very voicey over this.

I just raced someone in DR. Everyone in game has been having a ball.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

You should take a break from the game, or even better, do a little yoga course, if you can’t handle a single day of… airplane noises. Oh wait, I forgot about the character model.

No seriously, don’t play today. It’s healthy to relax. Imagine all the stress hormones every of your post produces. Just don’t play and don’t complain. It’ll be over soon.

PS: “Look at the forum posts” is the worst kind of proof. Only the ones who have enough time to complain about easily avoidable things are coming here. I’m pretty sure that today’s logged in player number is higher than average.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

In GW1 the Cities were the only non instanced places, that is the reason of such mechanic there.
In GW2 every map works like GW1 cities and outposts.

True , but i’m sure they can toggle on/off this mode on certain map if they want.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I loved the airplane. Especially at Tequatl where there were hoards of people running back and forth. It was great fun. I did turn off post processing after a bit so that I could see the targeting circles, but I played last night, longer than I normally would, and I’ll play tonight too.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace