Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dragon.8612

Dragon.8612

I’m a game designer too (or am I posing) and I thing it’s wonderful what they have done!

(I’m glad I clarified my qualifications in order to comment i a way that will show my opinion is superior to other, unqualified posters. I may be a game designer, a wonderful dresser, and an all around nice guy, really I may be, and I have certificates to prove it!)

Yes I thought about this point you are making and I realized I would rather not give my personal credentials out just to prove who I am seeing how this is just a post on a forum for an event that occurred in a game. Just giving my opinion, if you want to believe me or not that is entirely your decision. Thanks for responding

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I’m a game designer too (or am I posing) and I thing it’s wonderful what they have done!

(I’m glad I clarified my qualifications in order to comment i a way that will show my opinion is superior to other, unqualified posters. I may be a game designer, a wonderful dresser, and an all around nice guy, really I may be, and I have certificates to prove it!)

Yes I thought about this point you are making and I realized I would rather not give my personal credentials out just to prove who I am seeing how this is just a post on a forum for an event that occurred in a game. Just giving my opinion, if you want to believe me or not that is entirely your decision. Thanks for responding

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: fairlight.3489

fairlight.3489

Not only is the April Fools ‘Joke’ extremely annoying but it is buggy, which adds insult to injury.

Animations are locking during combat and as well as sound. The annoying ‘airplane’ sound is locking and plays while in combat.

At least allow people to turn this crap off… it was funny for like 10 seconds and has now ticked off most of your customers.

Whose dumb idea was this? April fools jokes are supposed to be temporary not all the time. It seems like AN is ticked off at their customers and bitter or something.

Fail.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

If you turn off your postprocessing in your graphic settings, the septia screen and old-timey microphone sounds (no idea what else to call it) will be gone. Then you can mute your game sound so you don’t hear the airplane noises. Your arms will still be stuck straight out but this is just for 24hrs.

You mean, if you stop playing the game, you won’t have to endure this year’s tasteless, unfunny “joke”? That’s not a great solution, is it?

Dragon.8612

Game designer. And i am the prince of Wakanda.

Read response to previous comment

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

NO….no we are not……

we all PAYED money for the right to play this game.This event makes the game unplayable for me

it was funny for 5 min but I am not a child.After 5 min it got annoying.
They need to have the abilty to turn it off. it is that simple

Nowhere in the “contract” you signed did it ever say that you would be able to play 100% of the time.

And no, it does not make the game unplayable.
You might not WANT to play it, but it is still fully possible to do it.

oka go to McDonalds and get a burger you payed for with silly putty on it instead of …what they call meat. you bring it to the counter and they say april fools…….and then don’t give you your burger you payed for……you would not stand for it. same aplys here

You compare media to food, brilliant. I will screencap this.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Realistically, tragedies happen every day. Thousands of people are killed in car wrecks on a daily basis – is it equally insensitive to have video games with cars in them?

This and also we kill people and creatuers every day ingame so I dont’ see what the big deal is!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

Very well written post that I appreciate OP. I’m not a game designer, I’m an MBA with a background in communications.

And yes, they should have known better. “Ugly Betty” knows better for crying out loud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Girl

And yes, considering that you will most likely be warned that you are going to a link that’s outside of their domain if you try to click that to get to Wikipedia, we can conclude that Anet DOES KNOW BETTER.

So it’s pretty super confusing that they did it anyway.

Posted by: Tylak.9163

Tylak.9163

I’m not as upset as OP, but I totally sympathize. This event ruins the game for me.

Ferguson.2157

My point is that credentials matter not one iota – opinions are like (you know what) – everyone has one. Hopefully every players opinion is as valid as the next. lol. That is all.

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

I think you should write ANet an apology letter for wasting their bandwidth!

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: Merciless.3698

Merciless.3698

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Game designer. And i am the prince of Wakanda.

YOUR MAJESTY.

But all that aside, I really don’t mind if Anet designs an opt out function for the people who don’t like it. That’s fine with me, even though I enjoy the toddler airplane. But it’s only a 24 hour thing, so that seems like it would happen next year, if anything.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

oka go to McDonalds and get a burger you payed for with silly putty on it instead of …what they call meat. you bring it to the counter and say april fools…….and then don’t give you your burger you payed for……you would not stand for it. same aplys here

lolwut? The game is still playable, in every mode. The “silly putty hamburger” is something that is not edible, in any way. Not even close to the same thing. It’d be more like if McDonald’s put a fancy umbrella on top of your (meat) burger to make it look silly.

someone would choke on the umbrella and sue them silly gotta think these things through man silly putty is kinda edible its made for kids who put it in there mouth all the time :^P

ps the op is trolling you all

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Take the day off then. See you tomorrow.

The Burninator

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

People are really overreacting to something that happens ONE out of 365 days of a year.

like your birthday?

Tylak.9163

The prank would still be funny if you could turn it off. Why won’t they let us turn it off?

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

@Dragon
I had a lot of the same thoughts/feelings when i found out about the ‘joke’ (it really isn’t a joke as jokes have punchlines…more like a mean spirited prank i guess).

Anet does do a number of things right with the game which is why so many are so upset with how the ‘prank’ was implemented. A toggle switch or opt in on this was the only right way to make it work. I mean why would they put something in that is this gamechanging and make it mandatory?

But smart people make mistakes sometimes. The mature and honest thing to do is for anet to apologize or at the very least acknowledge that they have upset a number of players. The forums are seriously toxic right now. It’s making me a bit ill reading some of the threads.

I think an apology would go a long way with most fans. Despite our complaints we actually like the developers.

(edited by Selkirk.4218)

Posted by: Vinegaroon.4369

Vinegaroon.4369

To take my control of my character away is a poor decision. We should be playing jokes on each other, in game. But this is Anet playing a joke on the customers. My characters don’t swing their weapons properly and it looks super buggy. I don’t see the value added to the game with this event.

Posted by: Shawn.9246

Shawn.9246

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You will be sorely missed.

Good luck.

Merciless.3698

Even got a good bag of dope for today to make runs.. why gw2

Dragon.8612

My point is that credentials matter not one iota – opinions are like (you know what) – everyone has one. Hopefully every players opinion is as valid as the next. lol. That is all.

You are totally right! I’m not saying I am better than anyone else I am just saying where my perspective comes from and that I can understand how these things are created! But since I don’t create content for this game I am no better than anyone else! Thanks for commenting

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

I’ll supply the candles for the vigil. Anyone volunteer to provide snacks?

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Meh. I turned off the post processing to remove the sepia tint effect and played some music while I did map completion. Seriously it is for one kitten day, relax already.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

We’ll miss ya, bro.

Posted by: Uhaen.9876

Uhaen.9876

you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

I lol’d

Dragon.8612

Very well written post that I appreciate OP. I’m not a game designer, I’m an MBA with a background in communications.

And yes, they should have known better. “Ugly Betty” knows better for crying out loud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Girl

And yes, considering that you will most likely be warned that you are going to a link that’s outside of their domain if you try to click that to get to Wikipedia, we can conclude that Anet DOES KNOW BETTER.

So it’s pretty super confusing that they did it anyway.

Thanks for reading I totally agree I don’t know why they would go ahead knowing full well what could potentially happen. I still love ANet just confused at their decision that is all. Thanks for commenting and reading

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

I play as an asura, I run around in a circle shouting “vrooooom”. It’s brilliant, if it’s poorly made or anything I don’t care about, better then nothing and it will only last a day

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

DragonflyDusk.6582

I know you keep posting that, but I can’t help but follow the link and laugh everytime.

Though they DID think of the children, right? We all look like toddler airplanes, cooey noises and all.

Posted by: Klinch.2964

Klinch.2964

The only impairing thing is the horrible filter. You can turn that off by turning post processing completely off at least.

Dragon.8612

To take my control of my character away is a poor decision. We should be playing jokes on each other, in game. But this is Anet playing a joke on the customers. My characters don’t swing their weapons properly and it looks super buggy. I don’t see the value added to the game with this event.

I agree. It just isn’t right to take away a players ability to play the way they want to. These games are about being who you want to be and it isn’t right to take that away from players in any way. Thanks for reading and commenting

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

People are really overreacting to something that happens ONE out of 365 days of a year.

To be fair, this would imply that everyone is actually able to play everyday. Many players have very limited time, which is one of the appeals of GW2. So losing a day simply because AreaNet didn’t add in a disable option, should cause some reaction.

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

TRIGGERED11!!11!!

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

OMG, this whining is becoming so unbelievably silly it must the the true April Fool’s joke! Anyone have a protective bubble I can borrow? Problem is, I’m not sure if I should stuff the whiners into it or myself.

Good frickin’ godz, it’s ONE DAY. ONE day. People have become so incredibly infantile about trivialities it’s just absolutely…sad.

Posted by: Morbeux.8931

Morbeux.8931

While I am not fan of the joke, I can survive for a day (though a toggle to disable would be nice). Op, you have the good VALID point – there are a lot of bugs that are introduced. WvW is bugged, various animations are locking up, some people are reporting broken gameplay that did not exist before.

Honestly, if you are going to pull a “touchy” April Fool joke, it would make sense to NOT break other parts of the game.

Dragon.8612

I play as an asura, I run around in a circle shouting “vrooooom”. It’s brilliant, if it’s poorly made or anything I don’t care about, better then nothing and it will only last a day

Understandable but for some people today may have been their only day to play and they have no choice but to experience this! They will be very upset if they can’t enjoy something that brings them happiness! Thanks for reading and commenting

Tylak.9163

The only impairing thing is the horrible filter. You can turn that off by turning post processing completely off at least.

What about the altered dialog (if you want to hear normal dialog), altered headgear, and messed up animations? Playing a game with messed up animations impairs my ability to enjoy it.

Posted by: CrazyEyeDon.2649

CrazyEyeDon.2649

NO….no we are not……

we all PAYED money for the right to play this game.This event makes the game unplayable for me

Nowhere in the “contract” you signed did it ever say that you would be able to play 100% of the time.

oka go to McDonalds and get a burger you payed for with silly putty on it instead of …what they call meat. you bring it to the counter and they say april fools…….and then don’t give you your burger you payed for……you would not stand for it. same aplys here

no….I compared spending money on one thing and getting another.
all most of us want is the ability to turn the prank on or off…..pleasing EVERYONE at the same time.

the game is unplaying for “ME” because I am not a child (mentally or really a child) I found it amusing for 5 min and then it got annoying.

DragonflyDusk.6582

WvW was priceless tonight, I’ll say that much. I personally loved the music that plays when you crash, though I think we may have let ourselves die more than usual at Tequatl just to hear it.

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I don’t like it. I do like the idea of April fools. It’d be better if there were a way to shut it off.

Mesmerising Girl

Ferguson.2157

I Concur OP!

Tylak.9163

Please allow us to disable this prank! It is funny for a moment, then it just keeps me from actually playing :/

Merciless.3698

What about the altered dialog (if you want to hear normal dialog), altered headgear, and messed up animations? Playing a game with messed up animations impairs my ability to enjoy it.

highly aggreed

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

I had a really great time tonight. My guildies and I had an LA beach party. Recently joined guild and it was great seeing all those people enjoying it, too. Thanks Anet! : )

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Same thing happened on the SWTOR forums when they had their Rakghoul plague somewhere a few months into the Ebola crisis. People who just wanted to feel important acted as though it was planned and malicious, meant to poke fun at real-world tragedy. It’s clear that some people will always seek out something to be upset about.

Learn to be an adult and stop trying to be offended for the sake of others. If you think it’s in bad taste you’re free to state your opinion, but the holier-than-thou mess is nothing more than an attempt to feel good about yourself by downing others. Grow up.

Dragon.8612

@Dragon
I had a lot of the same thoughts/feelings when i found out about the ‘joke’ (it really isn’t a joke as jokes have punchlines…more like a mean spirited prank i guess).

Anet does do a number of things right with the game which is why so many are so upset with how the ‘prank’ was implemented. A toggle switch or opt in on this was the only right way to make it work. I mean why would they put something in that is this gamechanging and make it mandatory?

But smart people make mistakes sometimes. The mature and honest thing to do is for anet to apologize or at the very least acknowledge that they have upset a number of players. The forums are seriously toxic right now. It’s making me a bit ill reading some of the threads.

I think an apology would go a long way with most fans. Despite our complaints we actually like the developers.

I totally agree! Like I said I love Anet and GW2 too much to let them get away with doing something so shortsighted. I would 100% respect it if they just apologized, learned from their mistake, and fixed it. It shows great strength to admit mistakes but we love and admire people who have that ability! Thanks for reading and commenting

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

NO….no we are not……

no….I compared spending money on one thing and getting another.
all most of us want is the ability to turn the prank on or off…..pleasing EVERYONE at the same time.

the game is unplaying for “ME” because I am not a child (mentally or really a child) I found it amusing for 5 min and then it got annoying.

Do you even know how intellectual property rights work? You do NOT own Guild Wars 2, not even the client. You’re LICENSED to USE it. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. If ANet wanted to they could revoke your license at any time for any or no reason. THEY own the game, and all of it’s contents. They could also hit the power button on their servers (the game servers) ANY time they want, they’re THEIR servers! And there’s absolutely nothing you or I or anyone else could do about it.

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: Jasherm.4291

Jasherm.4291

I’m enjoying the airplane silliness! The whole thing is just great especially the death music!

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Lovin’ it…caught me off guard in a good way.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~