Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I LOL’d. 7/10

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It’s funny for a bit, but it quickly becomes like a 6 year old nephew that keeps trying to tell you the same joke every 5 minutes. Yeah, you laughed for real the first time, but…

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

Imagine how insufferable these white knights are irl.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Absolutely amazing complaint. Are you offended that REAL planes are still flying about in the REAL sky? What about the victims of wars ongoing and yet the game is all about killing. OP are you sure this is a sane environment for you to be experiencing?

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Berdusk.5093

Berdusk.5093

I bought this game last night.
I downloaded it this morning.
I have the day off. It is not April quite yet. I go into work tomorrow and it will be April.

Being brand-new to the game, I would like to be able to play it. Even more-so now since I just spent the money on it. I have played other MMOs that celebrate April 1st and they do so in ways that are amusing for a couple of minutes and THEN YOU MOVE ON.

This is unplayable, and honestly since I have to go back into work tomorrow, I do not know how soon I’ll have the chance to play again without other RL things getting in the way. Frankly, it puts me on the fence about just pursuing a refund, even if it’s only for a day. The sheer irritation of this “prank” makes the game unplayable, at the least for anyone new to it, and makes me question whether or not I really want to invest my free time (and money) here.

Please reconsider this course of action. At the very least with something like this you ought to give us some means of toggling “Airplane Mode,” and similar things of this nature, to OFF.

Thank you.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

“Wisdom includes not getting angry unnecessarily. The law ignores trifles and the wise man does too.” -Robert A. Heinlein.

I’m not particularly upset. I do foresee an absolute kittenstorm of posts that are seriously offended though. I can’t even blame them. Kind of curious what the German and French forums are like right now.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

When I first logged on, I didn’t think “plane” I thought cross, or someone nailed to a cross. Given the holiday coming up, I could see a lot of people finding this offensive.

Correct me if I’m wrong (as I havn’t really gone through the entire ToS), is there not something in there about religion or religious names or even slander? I mean if we can’t even elude to certain things that go against the ToS, how exactly can they put something like this forth (if Religious depictions are indeed against the ToS)?

If someone logs into the game and it appears to them that their character is nailed to cross, does this not go against their very ToS?

yeah man, it’s the holy week for us Catholics. when i first logged, i thought it was about crucifixion. and crucifixion on holy week and april fool’s is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

this is offensive to Catholic’s as well.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. (FFS).

While there is the likelihood that someone may find this offensive, the majority of those posting on here are just playing that card in an attempt to get rid of it. I’ve seen many of them first complain about how annoying the sounds, graphics, etc are without once making a comment about how offensive it is. You’d think that would be the first thing that they would complain about.

Several of them have also never posted before so it makes you wonder if any could be dummy accounts.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. kitten .

check your privilege thanks

Vomits

Posted by: Delianeth.9245

Delianeth.9245

Updated my Game logged in and had a good Laugh. After the Laugh it got annoying, because there was no way to return to my usual play.

Did my daily chores and logged off.

Anet you broke it! Can you fix it? If so please do asap!

P.S. I bug reported it and will check back tomorrow.

(edited by Delianeth.9245)

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Updated my Game logged in and had a good Laugh. After the Laugh it got annoying, because there was no way to return to my usual play.

Did my daily chores and logged off.

Anet you broke it! Can you fix it? If so please do asap!

You can turn off the sepia stuff and noise, just turn off postprocessing and the sound.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Orthaukus.8713

Orthaukus.8713

I think that “in towns only” is a good idea. No game play impact.(Except for role players, who would have no workaround. They would have to go out into the open world.)

^This

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Is this the real life? Is this just tumblr?

Posted by: Tempest Darqmane.4862

Tempest Darqmane.4862

This is the one of the greatest things that Anet has done. I’d totally buy an endless item that lets me do this all the time. Typically gw2 does a poor job at getting an emotional response out of me, and this made me laugh pretty kitten hard.

Players give the devs a lot of crap, some of it justified. Let them have a day or so to screw with you.

(edited by Tempest Darqmane.4862)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Thanks Anet. The April first gag is great!

Please make it a tonic for us to use in game later!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Moonjelly.3742

Moonjelly.3742

So a goofy thing like having an early 1900’s style sepia tone overlay with your character posing like an airplane, in an old aviator cap, making childish engine noises, in a video game is offensive? Good grief. Better tell all the children of the world while we are at it to not to play airplanes anymore because it’s not sensitive.

I swear to god people go out of their way to find anything offensive these days so they can kick up a fuss.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

When I first logged on, I didn’t think “plane” I thought cross, or someone nailed to a cross. Given the holiday coming up, I could see a lot of people finding this offensive.

Correct me if I’m wrong (as I havn’t really gone through the entire ToS), is there not something in there about religion or religious names or even slander? I mean if we can’t even elude to certain things that go against the ToS, how exactly can they put something like this forth (if Religious depictions are indeed against the ToS)?

If someone logs into the game and it appears to them that their character is nailed to cross, does this not go against their very ToS?

For the love of God I hope you are kidding. It is a plane. Just because you see something else doesn’t make it true. Relax.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

People are murdered every day and we run around in this game shooting, stabbing and bludgeoning. And yet the toddler airplanes are insensitive? What?

The first thing I thought when this hit was my laptop was dying because of the color change. Then I thought I was a scarecrow. Then I realized my Sylvari Engineer was an airplane and and that her dreams of becoming a machine had been realized.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Thats just the thing do. For most people that doesn’t even matter when it comes to non-white people.

There are also questions about whether or not he actually was ill.

No matter, this is getting both off-topic and borderline rule-breaking.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Thats just the thing do. For most people that doesn’t even matter when it comes to non-white people.

There are also questions about whether or not he actually was ill.

No matter, this is getting both off-topic and borderline rule-breaking.

What questions?

From what I have seen on the news, he had been professionally diagnosed with depression and was hiding the evidence of it (sick notes etc.).

They said they found no evidence of a political or religious agenda, at either of the homes he lived in, though.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Cazamar.7148

Seriously op? ISIS is murdering and kitten by the thousands and you are upset over this? Get some perspective man.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

C’mon, the crucifixion reference is totally paranoid. There’s no nails and no wooden cross.

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

its not funny, not at all.
…. i thought it would be common sense that this kind of april fool is inappropriate.
ANd people here even defend it…..

Posted by: Roxer.4609

Roxer.4609

Combat transformation changes your character look, including hands position.

Posted by: glyphofhealing.1609

glyphofhealing.1609

As for the topic. If it offends you in anyway I would just suggest playing a different game for the duration of April fools!

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

We just had a string of terrible plane crashes, including one last week. How does something so insensitive slip through?

The German forums, where people apparently had family members affected by this tragedy, are really upset: https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz.

Come on man.

DragonflyDusk.6582

I genuinely would like to know though. Why is the airplane thing insensitive while the shooting isn’t? We’re even killing other players in certain game modes on top of that.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Tragedies happens every single day.
Going by this logic they would never be able to release anything at all, since it will always be possible to make a connection to said tragedy.

+1

Relax folks.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

OK. I’m going to put MY reply in FIRST, simply because I want to make sure it’s read if anyone ignores my replies to other comments. Also, this is going to be the ONLY one of these threads I reply to; no need to have multiple posts once this gets merged.

I do NOT see how this has ANYTHING to do with plane crashes. Yeah, it’s a plane theme – but did you know what? Airline flights were NOT summarily cancelled worldwide after the 9525 crash. Planes are still flying as we speak.

A joke about planes, that has NOTHING to do with CRASHES, should not be targeted the way this is. I could maybe see your point if the prank did involve crashing. But it doesn’t.

Now. A few comments I felt had to be answered:

“It usually don’t go a day without a bomb or a mine exploding somewhere, killing or maiming a bunch of people.”

There are bombs and mines IN THIS GAME! Oh, no! It’s already too late!

“You do know in the wake of tragedies, TV networks do reschedule what they are showing right?”

Surely you can’t be serious. If they cannot show Airplane within two weeks after a plane crash happens, they will never play that movie again. Or any other plane-centric film, from Air Force One to Top Gun to Snakes on a Plane.

(From another thread:)
“So it’s a WWII plane motif. I don’t find it funny considering WWIII in on the verge of happening. Not funny Anet, maybe you’re not up to date on the news but some of us are up to date. cancel this nonsense and think of something truly funny.”

OK, no more referencing World War II ever again. Congratulations, you shut down half the FPS games currently on the market. Plus a variety of games from other genres. Oh, movies, too. Gotta pull all the WW2 flicks from the shelf. And the books. I mean, someone might be offended that a book set in World War II is referencing World War II, you know.

Yes. Tragedies happen. However, Arenanet is not psychic. They cannot foretell a plane crash months in advance. You are growing offended at something that they could never have seen coming and are in no way referring to.

Posted by: Holesale.2640

Holesale.2640

the internet where everyone is offended by everything even though that thing isn’t meant to be offensive.

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

I logged in and thought it was bugged, usually play with the sound really low so by the time i figured out he was being an airplane I had already submitted a ticket as well.

And yes, basic common sense should have told them to pull the plane prank with the plane crash still being in the media.

And yes, it was more annoying than fun. I had spent all day yesterday putting together a new armor set for my warrior and I was looking forward to playing tonight. Since (at least on my PC) his arms stayed straight out instead of doing the fit animations playing wasnt really worth it. Turns out I depend on the animation to aim. Who’d have thought.

Cazamar.7148

I genuinely would like to know though. Why is the airplane thing insensitive while the shooting isn’t? We’re even killing other players in certain game modes on top of that.

Because some players are acting like children. They need to grow up. There are plenty of real things to get upset about. This is certainly not one of them.

DragonflyDusk.6582

Because some players are acting like children. They need to grow up. There are plenty of real things to get upset about. This is certainly not one of them.

I agree. I’d just like to hear them actually explain it, but I’m pretty it will continue to be dodged or hand-waved with a nonsensical explanation.

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

If the guy was suicidal why even let him on a plane? If they knew before hand then the airlines are at fault, if they didnt know and he got on the plane it was thought out and he was going to crash the plane taking others with him which is murder and can be seen as an act of terrorism.

I didnt even know about the plane crash to be honest i see no link between the plane “crash” and your character with its arms out making motor noises with aviator goggles on to go along with the release of the aviator mail carrier. If they had to put off releasing content they should make all of season 2 unavailable since it was black history month and season 2 showed that the sylvari are slaves to the dragon.

Might as well just not play games or be watch or be involved with any media if your going to be this demanding of an april fools joke that has nothing to do with what you think it does, go pout somewhere else and quit complaining about something so kitten minor.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m sorry, but OP needs to learn that people die and the world keeps going.

On Dec 24 2004, the day before Christmas, the Christmas tsunami killed about TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY THOUSAND people with an unknown number missing and presumed dead. Did the world pull pictures of the ocean from everyone’s view? Did they cancel Christmas because so many died? No, to both.

People die. People die every day. Thousands of people die daily. It’s a tragedy with each death but you can’t select a few of those thousands of deaths and say, don’t show airplanes today today because that’s how they died. If we were to do that cars, guns, knives, water, etc.. etc.. etc.. could not be shown because hundreds die from those daily also.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

Yep Arena Net this is lame. A joke is one thing but what you are doing is annoying people. It’s like that one bad comedian that wont get off the stage. Ruined the mood of the game. (not everyone is 12 years old.)…also doing this when airplane crashes are on the news daily. Bad, bad taste and losing brownie points with me fast.

(edited by Rannith.9068)

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

I sympathize with people who lost loved ones but you cant ask the rest of the world to stop for a few weeks every time something like this happens (and something like this happens every week, whether its planes or bombs or so on). The airline industry didnt shut down, game stores didnt pull copies of flight simulator from their shelves, and anet certainly shouldnt have pulled the plug on this (which was probably in the works since before the crash)

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

I find it despicable that people are attempting to justify their annoyance at being unable to revert the plane arms by using real life tragedy. Shame on you all. Seriously.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

Wait, did someone seriously equate this gag to the crucifixion or whatever the religious people believe in?
This thread is comedy gold.

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

Yep Arena Net this is lame. A joke is one thing but what you are doing is annoying people. It’s like that one bad comedian that wont kitten and get off stage. Ruined the mood of the game. (not everyone is 12 years old.)…also doing this when airplane crashes are on the news daily. Bad, bad taste and losing brownie points with me fast.

Speak for yourself. I’m not annoyed at all. I’ve had a lot of fun tonight. Tell you what is annoying: Yet another of you whiners finding it necessary to post Another thread about this.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: cooldrew.6809

cooldrew.6809

Man. People are getting really, really mad over this.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

On the flip side of it, you could think of it as saying
“While you’re having fun, please remember there are those who have recently tragically lost their lives.”

It’s all about perspective

Posted by: Smirker.9530

Smirker.9530

If you were trying to encourage me to play ANYTHING else and not play your game. I have good news for you. You WIN.

I actually ENJOY the voice acting as i find it immersive.. having the infantile airplane noises has given me a massive headache. I cannot proceed in the game at all now. I can’t even disable your noises so i can hear the other conversations going on in the environment.

I am very incensed! I was about to spend real life money for some gems and actually unlock some things – but that plan is gone now.

I take back all the great and positive things I’ve been telling my friends, coworkers (and even recommending the game for their teens) about this game and your company.

Not having this be optional has ruined my plans for tonight. I’m sure others are just as incensed at the arms as those of us who can actually time chains by the animations are effected by this just as badly.

I am so disappointed in your company right now; that I actually came to the forum to tell you personally. Not something I do lightly. I’ve played every day since I bought the game about a month ago and I (was) planning on running through the PvE at least 5 times for the different racial stories. Right now, I’m in pain and so irked- that I’m going to do any other game just so I don’t uninstall your game. Honestly, I’ll be lucky if this doesn’t color my impressions of the game completely for some time to come.

Thanks for ruining my limited ‘personal’ time tonight.

(edited by Smirker.9530)

Posted by: CrazyEyeDon.2649

CrazyEyeDon.2649

good post and repost this flood them with this crap

they anoy us we anoy them

the abily to turn it on or off is not to much to as for….

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I just want to quote this guy because what he said is very true:

Exactly this. People drawing comparison to real life tragedy as a means of justifying their annoyance. Far, FAR more despicable as far as I’m concerned.

The Burninator

Posted by: Tylak.9163

Tylak.9163

Agreed. I really like the ambiance/mood/vibe of GW2. Pranks are fun, but not when they last 24 hours. On the plus side I just got Alien Isolation on Steam. So I guess I’ll play that.

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

its not funny, not at all.
…. i thought it would be common sense that this kind of april fool is inappropriate.
ANd people here even defend it…..

It’s funny to me. You are not the focus of the universe.

I don’t find it inappropriate. You are not the focus of the universe.

I defend it. Because there is no connection. Plus above.

It’s not my, or anyone else’s fault, you have a thin skin and need to link entirely unrelated things together. You have no facts, it’s only your opinion.

Oh, and I’m absolutely positive if ten people (or, hell, even one random guy off the street from anywhere on the planet) were to observe you in your daily life for even a couple days, every one of them would find something you do inappropriate, offensive, and/or insensitive to something they give a whit about. It’s highly unlikely (on the order if impossibility) you would accept every claim against you as valid (i.e. you would defend your action(s)). This goes for the OP and everyone else on the planet.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People are really overreacting to something that happens ONE out of 365 days of a year.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SoupRGyro.9017

SoupRGyro.9017

Agreed. The timing of this “joke” was poorly planned. Furthermore, this joke has broken so many of the animations to the point that I find the game too irritating.

Anet, revert your crap.

Posted by: Noctis.2657

Noctis.2657

And should expect some joke coming from them, cmon dude you should´ve know better right…right??