Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

People are really overreacting to something that happens ONE out of 365 days of a year.

Agreed! What’s a joke (to me) is how many (HYPER) sensitive SNOW-FLAKES there are around here!

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m going to quote this guy because what he said is true:

Exactly this. People drawing comparison to real life tragedy as a means of justifying their annoyance. Far, FAR more despicable as far as I’m concerned.

The Burninator

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Someone probably got beheaded by a sword from ISIS, stuff is in the media. We need to stop using swords. Frankly, people need to stop being overly sensitive.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Thanks for recommending the transforms. It doesn’t fix the slow Ele/dagger/water 1 animation(and rate of fire) though. I wonder if something else broke that.

Posted by: Whitebaboon.2483

Whitebaboon.2483

If anyone who matter sees this Ive logged off and will play when its back to normal. Some find it funny and more power to em but Im not one of em. I just found it annoying actually. Others may say Im being a stick in the mud but im older than 12 and Im not easily amused I guess.
See everyone when its back to normal and if your one of those who enjoy the sounds the lack of animations, the god awful look then hey have a great time.

Posted by: Ice Man.8465

Ice Man.8465

There should have been an opt out or some way to turn off the audio.

Posted by: Badwolf.9725

Badwolf.9725

This prank offends me greatly! I thought I was the only one who could do killer plane sound effects with my voice and spread my arms out!!!!! kitten YOU ANET!!!!! YOU STOLE MY AIRPLANE SOUNDS!!!!!

on topic:

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar… Sometimes, the world being a kittenty place doesn’t mean we have to cower in fear that simple reference to a reference to something tragic is “too far”.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Please, feel free to not play.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Seriously? I find op so ridiculous that it is almost hard to believe. Get over yourself.

JustTrogdor.7892

You’ll be back. People like you say this stuff all the time. You will even buy the expansion. I’d bet all my gold on it.

The Burninator

Posted by: Cactus.5298

Cactus.5298

Lol. The OP made a joke post and everyone is foaming at the mouth.

I love you goofballs.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Wait, did someone seriously equate this gag to the crucifixion or whatever the religious people believe in?
This thread is comedy gold.

As someone who is religious I’m far more annoyed that people are trying to force that comparison. Every year there are people who have a meltdown over a one-day silly prank, but this year the nay-sayers are really taking it too far. If they hate it, fine. But they are trying to demonize Arenanet by forcing connections like mashing puzzle pieces together just because they find the prank annoying.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There should have been an opt out or some way to turn off the audio.

You can turn off the audio.

Dialogue sound in the option menu.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

And seriously I don’t know why April Fools is such a big thing in MMOs at all. It was funny when WoW did it ONE TIME and then became tedious over there too!

If Anet felt the need to imitate Blizzard so closely, they could have just finally given us mounts! Getting across their kitten world take forever.

But Seriously——
I find it annoying that people on this thread are pretending not to know the difference between being unwilling to pull core game mechanics (like rifles and pistols) that are an everyday component of the game and having the decency to cancel or alter a special event (that calls attention to itself precisely because it isn’t necessary or core to the game play) when a real life tragedy so closely resembling the joke is playing itself out in the media as we speak. If you don’t understand the distinction now, hopefully you will when you GROW UP.

And it’s not like they had to skip April Fools all together. They are in the middle of trickling out info about HoT.

Ledgendary Quaggan Stance anyone?

Posted by: Tashigi.3159

Tashigi.3159

Thanks again.
(P.S: Keep up the good work!)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I remember this much sturm und drang last year over bobbleheads. So many people who take a game way to seriously.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Personally, I get faintly amused by all the people who get all self righteous about this or that.
Life is part tragedy, part comedy. If we spent all our time thinking about it and looking for reflections of tragedies in everything people did, it would be a seriously sad world.

We shouldn’t build buildings because they are irreverent to people who have jumped off them.
We shouldn’t have cars because of all those people who get hit by them
We shouldn’t have knives because of all those people who have been killed by them
We shouldn’t have ropes because of all those people who’ve hung themselves.

We shouldn’t have fun because of all those people who *aren’t having fun*

Seriously, all this self righteous chest thumping is ridiculous. We should remember the dead but they also lived and had fun, why can’t we just stick with that rather than go on and on about how they died.

Posted by: CrazyEyeDon.2649

CrazyEyeDon.2649

People are really overreacting to something that happens ONE out of 365 days of a year.

NO….no we are not……

we all PAYED money for the right to play this game.This event makes the game unplayable for me

it was funny for 5 min but I am not a child.After 5 min it got annoying.
They need to have the abilty to turn it off. it is that simple

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

And seriously I don’t know why April Fools is such a big thing in MMOs at all. It was funny when WoW did it ONE TIME and then became tedious over there too!

If Anet felt the need to imitate Blizzard so closely, they could have just finally given us mounts! Getting across their kitten world take forever.

WoW didn’t start the April Fools trend in MMOs. Contrary to popular belief, WoW was not the first major MMORPG.

RoseofGilead.8907

I remember this much sturm und drang last year over bobbleheads. So many people who take a game way to seriously.

I love that you used “sturm und drang”. Just saying.

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

lol this is where the op says April fools
if not i have one thing to say
Wow just Wow

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

NO….no we are not……

we all PAYED money for the right to play this game.This event makes the game unplayable for me

Nowhere in the “contract” you signed did it ever say that you would be able to play 100% of the time.

And no, it does not make the game unplayable.
You might not WANT to play it, but it is still fully possible to do it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RoseofGilead.8907

NO….no we are not……

Please tell me how this makes the game, in any way, unplayable.

Posted by: Vrita.7846

Vrita.7846

Oh look, another one of these threads.

Attachments:

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. (FFS).

While there is the likelihood that someone may find this offensive, the majority of those posting on here are just playing that card in an attempt to get rid of it. I’ve seen many of them first complain about how annoying the sounds, graphics, etc are without once making a comment about how offensive it is. You’d think that would be the first thing that they would complain about.

Several of them have also never posted before so it makes you wonder if any could be dummy accounts.

Yeah, I saw several of these posters first make posts about how annoying it was, then a couple of hours later to now play the “its offensive card”. You are right, these people are just doing it to get rid of the annoyance, and are in fact are the ones that should be ashamed of themselves for using something so tragic for their own purposes.

Posted by: Dragon.8612

Dragon.8612

Hey guys. So I just want to group my thoughts here as a game designer myself and if you want to post your opinions please do. Just remember this is my opinion from my personal perspective.

The first point I want to address is the execution of the joke mechanic in the game. Since I am a game designer I think this is more relevant to my area of expertise rather then how insensitive the joke might be.

This joke mechanic is incredibly poorly executed. It should be pretty self-explanatory for any game developer that you should 100% NEVER force your players to engage in something that is a temporary event, specifically for a holiday, unless they want to. To force players into something that isn’t part of the core game experience that can effect their overall game-play experience is just wrong, This does nothing but leave a portion of your player base disgruntled and not playing your game, which is exactly what you don’t want with any game! If people want to use it great! But it should never be forced. This specific mechanic actually effects an entire group of players, Role-Players. If someone comes home from working all day just to enjoy the game from a Role-Playing perspective they cannot do that because of this mechanic. It takes away from their immersion, which is a major part of the game experience for those players. It is never okay to hinder or deny an entire group of players from enjoying the game the way they want to, even if they are in the minority!

Now to the second topic. While the joke may have been completely innocent, ArenaNet should have looked into public events and changed what they were doing or had nothing at all.

This a major company with enough resources to, at the very least, read the daily news on their smart phones. Someone had to have known what happened recently and they should have stopped this before it happened. For people out there saying this was planned in advance, that may be the case but I know for a fact this effect in game is not hard to create and could have easily been stripped and changed to something else very quickly. Even if the other event had been forced on players all day it would have been a preferable option than what they have in-game now. The fact that the effect is in effect all day is almost forcing people to observe a potentially very offensive joke, and essentially shoves it in their face. This just furthers the negative effect of this entire event.

I have to say I love GW2 and I think ArenaNet is great! But as a fan I have to tell them when I think they have done wrong, simply because I respect them too much to let them get away with something so poorly executed. This was a poor decision guys, on several levels, please fix it so we can all enjoy the game we love! Also I think it would be very big of you, and really appropriate, if you issued just a small apology for the whole thing.

Please feel free to leave comments I would love to know what you guys think! I love you Arena Net! Please fix and let us all get back to the game we love!

RoseofGilead.8907

No, it really wasn’t a bad idea.

Posted by: CrazyEyeDon.2649

CrazyEyeDon.2649

NO….no we are not……

Nowhere in the “contract” you signed did it ever say that you would be able to play 100% of the time.

And no, it does not make the game unplayable.
You might not WANT to play it, but it is still fully possible to do it.

oka go to McDonalds and get a burger you payed for with silly putty on it instead of …what they call meat. you bring it to the counter and they say april fools…….and then don’t give you your burger you payed for……you would not stand for it. same aplys here

Posted by: Dieallknow.1387

Dieallknow.1387

bumb second

15 chars

[IIII] Playing from Prison
“Lets take the green keep I need the Vista”
“Quit Laughing I need the Vista”

JustTrogdor.7892

yeah because we need more threads on this topic.

The Burninator

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

check your privilege thanks

Check you professional victim-hood, thanks.

check your privilege thanks

Vomits

yeah, pretty much.

Is this the real life? Is this just tumblr?

Unfortunately the line is blurring. People really are changing society by grabbing the moral high ground for their own benefit by “being offended”.

Have to admit, Hitches made a great point when he said: "I’m very depressed how in this country you can be told “That’s offensive” as though those two words constitute an argument."

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

Seriously, ANOTHER thread about this?!

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: owlslovetrees.4051

owlslovetrees.4051

It’s kind of amusing for the first five minutes but after that it does become annoying. I chose to handle it by logging off for the night. Would have been nice if it went away after a while though. Still, it’s no reason to get on the internet and have a tantrum. People need to learn to take a joke.

-owlslovetrees

Posted by: Ice Man.8465

Ice Man.8465

I found the airplane sound the most annoying. Did the three dailies and logged out.

RoseofGilead.8907

oka go to McDonalds and get a burger you payed for with silly putty on it instead of …what they call meat. you bring it to the counter and say april fools…….and then don’t give you your burger you payed for……you would not stand for it. same aplys here

lolwut? The game is still playable, in every mode. The “silly putty hamburger” is something that is not edible, in any way. Not even close to the same thing. It’d be more like if McDonald’s put a fancy umbrella on top of your (meat) burger to make it look silly.

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

Keep ‘em comin’. I just want a “Turn Off Events” button.

Posted by: SweetVibes.7692

SweetVibes.7692

Me gusta.
15tacos

Dragon.8612

You all realize you don’t have to read what I say right? You could just ignore it if you have nothing constructive to say or don’t agree with it.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I had fun being a plane all night long. For Teq, doing daily stuff, falling off high places, and doing a bit in the silverwastes. I so hope this becomes an emote <3

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

“ONE” day is one day too many for a “joke” that is not fun, breaks the game and can actually cause headaches on people. This is very poor quality control and poor design, as usual.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. (FFS).

While there is the likelihood that someone may find this offensive, the majority of those posting on here are just playing that card in an attempt to get rid of it. I’ve seen many of them first complain about how annoying the sounds, graphics, etc are without once making a comment about how offensive it is. You’d think that would be the first thing that they would complain about.

Several of them have also never posted before so it makes you wonder if any could be dummy accounts.

Yeah, I saw several of these posters first make posts about how annoying it was, then a couple of hours later to now play the “its offensive card”. You are right, these people are just doing it to get rid of the annoyance, and are in fact are the ones that should be ashamed of themselves for using something so tragic for their own purposes.

Pretty much this.

But Seriously——
I find it annoying that people on this thread are pretending not to know the difference between being unwilling to pull core game mechanics (like rifles and pistols) that are an everyday component of the game and having the decency to cancel or alter a special event (that calls attention to itself precisely because it isn’t necessary or core to the game play) when a real life tragedy so closely resembling the joke is playing itself out in the media as we speak. If you don’t understand the distinction now, hopefully you will when you GROW UP.

Tragedy happens everyday, and part of being a grown-up is learning to cope with it. This past week I lost someone I have known for a long time because they were shot. Not by accident, in cold blood, by someone else they knew. You have a lot of nerve telling others to grow up when you are shouting at others to adhere to your personal sensitivities.

And I’m pretty sure toddler plane arms are nowhere near closely related to an actual plane crash. That is far more insulting to suggest.

I find it despicable that people are attempting to justify their annoyance at being unable to revert the plane arms by using real life tragedy. Shame on you all. Seriously.

This. A million times over. This.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They’ve, ANet, always had April Fool pranks. Actually most MMOs do. Last year was Bobbleheads and in GW one was players were turned into stick figures.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

You all realize you don’t have to read what I say right? You could just ignore it if you have nothing constructive to say or don’t agree with it.

Or you could simply contribute to one of the SIX or so threads already whining about this.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I’m a game designer too (or am I posing) and I think it’s wonderful what they have done!

(I’m glad I clarified my qualifications in order to comment in a way that will show my opinion is superior to other, unqualified posters. I may be a game designer, a wonderful dresser, and an all around nice guy, really I may be, and I have certificates to prove it!)

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Dragon.8612

No, it really wasn’t a bad idea.

I would love it if you could expand on why you think it wasn’t. Just want to hear peoples opinions

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

Man, I wish I payed the extra money for that mute button on my PC

/sarcasm

Seriously, people will complain about anything even when the most simple and painfully obvious answer is slapping them in the face!

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: BlazerellaNine.1026

BlazerellaNine.1026

Sorry that you aren’t enjoying the joke. Anet is famous for their April Fool’s day pranks. One time in GW1, we were nothing but stick figures. It was hilarious too, in case you are wondering…

If you turn off your postprocessing in your graphic settings, the septia screen and old-timey microphone sounds (no idea what else to call it) will be gone. Then you can mute your game sound so you don’t hear the airplane noises. Your arms will still be stuck straight out but this is just for 24hrs.

Blazerella Nine – Human Elementalist
Mercenaries Of Anarchy[MOA] (SBI)

Posted by: Zurchin.8479

Zurchin.8479

lol at the people, there are many things to complain about in the world, this is not one of them, its a funny april fools joke not someone burning your house down and kicking your dog across the street, get over it.

Zee Bear Claw [GLAD]
Aurora Glade

Posted by: Orthaukus.8713

Orthaukus.8713

Another complaint, about another thread, about this topic?

(edited by Orthaukus.8713)

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Game designer. And i am the prince of Wakanda.