Guild Wars 2 Dead? (Culling)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vodac.9742

Vodac.9742

I think not xD

More or less this topic is for what you guys think about the end of culling. After seeing this I’m kinda on the Fence :-/

Attachments:

(edited by Vodac.9742)

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Seems dead to me…………………………………….

Attachments:

Posted by: Vyndeleron.6471

Vyndeleron.6471

My computer will commit suicide if I run the graphics settings like that…

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Was laggy, but it went as expected. Probably 10 fps.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Anet has said their playrbase is going up, not down
Anyone saying the game is dead is wrong : p

(and yes i dont mean you guys, this thread clearly is not saying that)

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

I just mope around by myself when I do get the urge to log in for a minute. I cannot stand the particle effects of this game and not being able to turn them off. That screenie makes me rage a bit inside.

edit I post this, and get to thinking, I don’t even like this game anymore, I think I’m done lol =D

(edited by Fletch.3572)

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Turn off those nameplates folks!

Posted by: SinerAthin.2374

SinerAthin.2374

I suppose they can’t really lose players because nobody has a Subscription :P

Once you buy the game box, you’re a player for life, even if you don’t play.

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

Yup, games dead because there aren’t enough people standing in LA.

Gathslan.1870

I suppose they can’t really lose players because nobody has a Subscription :P

Once you buy the game box, you’re a player for life, even if you don’t play.

Im pretty sure they are talking about active players
There are plenty of games that are f2p and are completely dead : P

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

If they are getting MORE concurrent logins, then they must be on servers other than mine. I play in all levels of zones and I don’t see as many players as I used to.

Obviously they cannot lose players since, as stated above, we are all players for life once we have purchased the game.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Nameplates for players not yet rendered always show up, regardless of the nameplates option setting. It’s completely horrible and I want it gone.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Yup, games dead because there aren’t enough people standing in LA.

I think that was the point. First screen shots showed a lot of people in LA after the culling change.

There was a thread from a few days ago claiming GW2 was dead because they claimed there was no one in LA.

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

Nameplates for players not yet rendered always show up, regardless of the nameplates option setting. It’s completely horrible and I want it gone.

Couldn’t agree more. Nameplates in that screenshot makes it look like kitten .

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Yep. I turned my nameplates off and now it looks fine.

I’m not sure what everyone else is talking about, but the only time nameplates show up now is when I hold down alt, and when the center of my screen passes over a “target” (which is expected, and useful for catching the name of individuals as you run past them).

What actually stands out like a sore thumb now that all the text is gone is the Commander icons. Please, please, please let us disable them from displaying on our UI.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If they are getting MORE concurrent logins, then they must be on servers other than mine. I play in all levels of zones and I don’t see as many players as I used to.

Obviously they cannot lose players since, as stated above, we are all players for life once we have purchased the game.

What you’re saying here is not necessarily true. Less players in specific zones doesn’t equal less players. Anet is simply directing traffic much better than they used to.

Even on the busiest server in the game, you can find places where there aren’t a lot of people in the open world. But then you go to where the action is. You have different types of players who play for different types of reasons.

Farmers will end up going to the hot farming spot, achievement point hounds (like me) will go to where they can get achievements (ie the living story), WvW will spend much of their time in WvW, dungeon runners will spend much of their time in dungeons (which were made more lucrative recently), and people who RP often spend their time in RP hotspots like DR.

That there are less people in points A, B and C doesn’t mean there aren’t more people in points D, E and F.

Gathslan.1870

I disagree ;P the bigger the active playerbase the more people buying gems.. and that is what keeps the game alive.

Anet has stated their playerbase is increasing, not decreasing after being asked how many have quit, i doubt they would count the players who have stopped playing :P

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I’ll never understand how people can say this game is dead when all the servers have a very high to full population.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I’ll never understand how people can say this game is dead when all the servers have a very high to full population.

How long is a piece of string?

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

My guess is very long, to full length!

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Half empty, or half full?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Yeah, congratulations. 3 out of, (how many servers?), are full like that. The rest have maybe 4 people on non-patch days, 10 on patch days. Again, you guys continue to show “proof” that guild wars 2 is not dead. It’s not dead on patch days for sure, but every other day besides patch days are dead. Completely and utterly dead. It’s alright if you don’t believe me, because I couldn’t care less. You can watch the playerbase slowly decline into oblivion when these continuous living story patches continue to be repetitive. Don’t get me wrong I like GW2, but the playerbase on my server and many other’s is nearly non-existent.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Axxo.7430

Axxo.7430

I had the same problem with settings on medium/low. (WvW)
What I did was turn off the players name plates, and I set my Left-Alt key to toggle if I wanna see player’s name.

Axxo “The Hex Guardian” – SoS

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Yeah, congratulations. 3 out of, (how many servers?), are full like that. The rest have maybe 4 people on non-patch days, 10 on patch days. Again, you guys continue to show “proof” that guild wars 2 is not dead. It’s not dead on patch days for sure, but every other day besides patch days are dead. Completely and utterly dead. It’s alright if you don’t believe me, because I couldn’t care less. You can watch the playerbase slowly decline into oblivion when these continuous living story patches continue to be repetitive. Don’t get me wrong I like GW2, but the playerbase on my server and many other’s is nearly non-existent.

I think ive guested to 10 different servers over the last few weeks. Its not as bad as you described. Hell my own server isnt even the most populated one in eu and i got thrown in to overlow at 6 this morning, (when i joined the zoneevent 5 minutes late).

And i see a lot of people in any zone during any moment of the day. When playing wow i could level 1-90 and i would find next to no players outside of the bigger cities / quest hubs. Thats with cross realm zones….where they combine all players from 10 different realms who are playing in that zone. And still i would find less people in mid level zones then i would find in GW2.

And you will always have lesser populated servers in any MMO. I played in wow on a server named Genjuros which was literally like what you described. With as main difference that i could see exactly how many where on unless more then 50 where on (what never happened). Most of the times during peak hours on weekdays it didnt pass the 20-30 mark .

You have to keep in mind aswell its an MMO. There is no dev team in the world that can create thousands of hours of non repetetive content. The only question is; in what shape do you want your repetition.

Most MMO players will tunnel the grinds and leave the rest.

Difference is that GW2 offers more diversity and different angles due to the 2 weekly updates.

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

They are turned off. Past a certain distance, they ALL show up. Player and NPC. Nice fail there. Nameplates everywhere, regardless of the setting. I’ve never turned mine on cause I don’t care bout ppls names or titles. If I want to know, I look at them. Now, name clutter every kitten where.

Vayne.8563

I believe your numbers are 100% accurate. 3 servers are full and all the rest of them have 4 people on them…and 10 on patch days.

Or you have an agenda and you’re exaagerating to try to make a point, which not only doesn’t make the point, but makes it seem like you’ll say anything to prove your point.

I’ve been on more than 3 servers guesting and I’ve never seen a server that has 4 people on it…even if I’ve been to some dead zones before.

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I’m so glad for the end of culling. I feel like there were all these ghosts around me before and now I can finally see them. Wait, that sounds more creepy than anything. Well—I like seeing them. I love the crowd.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

All the name plates are annoying me now i can see the people. So I turned that off. It’s nice to see LA and the players for a change

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

have been jumping servers on EU quite a lot before and I can easily say that anything on EU side marked as “high” or higher looks exactly like this.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

“PC gaming is dying!” – Lots of people. In 1985.

There will always be people saying everything is dying or dead, even when the numbers go the other way. We can’t let something like evidence get in the way of a good scaremongering can we?

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

PS: To the guy saying “it’s just one or two servers!”

Aurora Glade’s Lion’s Arch right now, at 10:51 AM GMT on a Thursday, 22nd August (School time in many places, like here in Norway). Pardon the graphics, but on a very low end machine right now.

Attachments:

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Was laggy, but it went as expected. Probably 10 fps.

What I used to get before changes in large zergs was 5 to 15 or so FPS to a now whopping(for me anyway) 20 to 30+, a bit of optimization was done it seems, I do get the occasional lag spike, but, that is just affecting movement for me.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I believe your numbers are 100% accurate. 3 servers are full and all the rest of them have 4 people on them…and 10 on patch days.

Or you have an agenda and you’re exaagerating to try to make a point, which not only doesn’t make the point, but makes it seem like you’ll say anything to prove your point.

I’ve been on more than 3 servers guesting and I’ve never seen a server that has 4 people on it…even if I’ve been to some dead zones before.

I think Galtrix is counting the number of people in his immediate vicinity. In Southsun. On a Tuesday. Early morning. Near the champion Karka. I find that area to be lacking people as well. What’s up with that!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Vayne.8563

I think Galtrix is counting the number of people in his immediate vicinity. In Southsun. On a Tuesday. Early morning. Near the champion Karka. I find that area to be lacking people as well. What’s up with that!

Have you looked inside the Karka? I understand sometimes Karka eat people and you have to kill the karka to see them. lol

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I hate it when someone posts a thread and doesn’t reply after a few. Seems like Omegle’s Spy-mode.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Seafarer’s Rest (medium, EU) right after the new patch.

Attachments:

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Those are NPCs. Dead game is dead.

Wait… I know that guy over there…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Poledo.3256

Yep. I turned my nameplates off and now it looks fine.

I’m not sure what everyone else is talking about, but the only time nameplates show up now is when I hold down alt, and when the center of my screen passes over a “target” (which is expected, and useful for catching the name of individuals as you run past them).

What actually stands out like a sore thumb now that all the text is gone is the Commander icons. Please, please, please let us disable them from displaying on our UI.

It worked for me as well when I turned it off a few days ago. Now it seems to be bugged. I can’t turn the nameplates off anymore even though it is unchecked.

I hope it gets corrected.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Best statement I have read today. Mine can handle it, but I usually keep it at medium just for loading faster between WP.

Posted by: kaid.7695

kaid.7695

One weird thing for me with all name plates disabled I am still seeing a LOT of name plates when doing these scarlet things. It is a lot better than if you don’t disable them but it is still really hard to see what is going on with all the names.

Posted by: Shorty.9873

Shorty.9873

Yea seems when you turn them off it will still show nameplates for characters that are far enough away. Wasn’t like that before because now in LA all I seen in the distance is a sea of name plates! I’d rather not see them myself but dosn’t seem to be a way that I can tell to fully turn them off.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Distance only indirectly has anything to do with it. The nameplates that ignore the nameplates setting are for avatars that haven’t been rendered because of the “Character Model Limit” setting. Because the closest models are rendered before far away models, it’s the more distant ones that show up as nameplates.

With that set to “Lowest” you’ll see nameplates for almost every player/NPC in sight, instead of their model.

It kind of defeats the purpose. People who set it to a low value do so to increase playability, and covering the whole screen in a jumbled alphabet soup of many dozens of nameplates doesn’t help at all.

Shorty.9873

I hope they fix that so it goes back to how it was as far as the name plates go. I’d prefer not to see them for non rendered characters.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Since the last LS update all I see is a sea of name-tags, but, only in areas with a semi large to large groups of people(zergs) I THINK it’s a product of the removal of culling and optimizations done and it makes it an impossible task to target a certain enemy by cursor clicking on them leaving you the ONLY OPTION of tabbing to another target, hopefully ANET is working on this.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Shorty.9873

yep and it also makes a beautiful city like Lions Arch all blocked up with ugly name plates.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I just mope around by myself when I do get the urge to log in for a minute. I cannot stand the particle effects of this game and not being able to turn them off. That screenie makes me rage a bit inside.

edit I post this, and get to thinking, I don’t even like this game anymore, I think I’m done lol =D

This actually made me LOL.

Im enjoying it again, oddly. Good game, just stupid decisions and straying from their core. Its sad. But walking the fine line between grind and RNG vs casual and fun is taxing and once there is a better alternative out there, I’ll park my characters in their home cities, do a salute and sign off, if I havent done so sooner. I’ll try out TESO but I don’t have high hopes. EQ Next will probably be the game for me…the game I thought this one would be.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Poledo.3256

Distance only indirectly has anything to do with it. The nameplates that ignore the nameplates setting are for avatars that haven’t been rendered because of the “Character Model Limit” setting. Because the closest models are rendered before far away models, it’s the more distant ones that show up as nameplates.

With that set to “Lowest” you’ll see nameplates for almost every player/NPC in sight, instead of their model.

It kind of defeats the purpose. People who set it to a low value do so to increase playability, and covering the whole screen in a jumbled alphabet soup of many dozens of nameplates doesn’t help at all.

It still shows it on all rendered characters as well though. If it only showed the named till the characters appeared it wouldn’t be as bad. It doesn’t seem to be turning name plates off at all for me anymore.

Posted by: zallesz.1650

zallesz.1650

i really hope for an option that enables my party and guild members to be rendered models like the way they look and not one of the 3 types (if settings are set to low) this way you can enjoy a more stable game but also see how your friends look like, now I have it turned to medium because my roomate’s female guardian looks like a grey male armor without any skin
please more options!

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

imo those who say GW2 is dead, pretty much live in a bubble in the game. It is no where near dead. And like GW will have years of life.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I’ve been saying since Tuesday that I haven’t seen any “GW2 is dead” threads. I thought someone was trolling. XD