Guild Wars 2: It's alive!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

There are a lot places that’s quite dead even on a full server like Jade Quarry. Lornar’s Pass, Harathai hinterlands, Sparkfly Fen, Timberline Falls are deserted almost all the time.

Which is a major problem, why are people not making alts or farming low level zones!

Posted by: woodyfly.4169

woodyfly.4169

This game is absolutely dying, slowly but surely. The amount of people I know that quit in weeks because it was “boring” is really high.

Just look at the stream views in twitch.tv. It was in the thousands when it was released and now barely in the low hundreds.

Posted by: BatteryBiscuits.1573

BatteryBiscuits.1573

i for one can’t wait for cantha and elona.
Sure the game has it’s share of bugs and disadvantages but so far it didn’t affected me an extraordinarry lot, only the bugged skill point in malchor’s leap has blocked me from 100% the map but so far i haven’t caught Any signs of DR yet on loot and dungeon, but then again im playing casually on maps except when it comes to dungeons.

Posted by: Daour.1437

Daour.1437

yes it is, but slowly, and the way the Dev’s want it to be.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I’m making alts, mainly because, for me all the fun is at the lower levels. I get to the 50’s and it just becomes a slog. When I get fed up I delete and try again with another character. One day I’ll run one up to the level cap but it’s not a key aim of mine.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: jamescowhen.1562

jamescowhen.1562

It should concern everyone that the game is dying even if you like the game as is. Areas like I mentioned before: Timberline falls, sparkfly fen, lornar’s pass – Some DEs in these areas are almost un-doable due to the lack of people.

Soulwatcher.2604

@Dusk did you play at GW2 launch? Zones were packed to the max people were everywhere. Fast forward to today and your lucky to get a hand full of people to show up to events in the 1 to 70 zones.

I played from headstart. Zones were packed because everyone was just starting the game. These people eventually spread out. If you really think that you were going to constantly get stuck in overflows forever and seeing countless super-zergs per event forever, you’re daft.

The game isn’t empty. I see other players constantly. Every event I’ve done, every single one, at least one person has been there with me. Just because you want to believe so badly that the game is bad and dead because of it simply because you don’t like it doesn’t make it so. You’re deluding yourself. People are in the game right now, in the tens of thousands, possibly over 100k, enjoying the game. Deal with it.

Dusk puff your chest out and beat the war drums its not going to change anything. The game has peaked and people are leaving. And its a very serious problem that all zones are not packed 5 weeks after release.

I played FFXI from 2004~2010 which was one of the most successful mmorpg’s in history. And from 2004 to 2007 every zone I ever visited was packed to the max 24/7. Often players were forced to camp on top of each other.

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

@Dusk did you play at GW2 launch? Zones were packed to the max people were everywhere. Fast forward to today and your lucky to get a hand full of people to show up to events in the 1 to 70 zones.

I played from headstart. Zones were packed because everyone was just starting the game. These people eventually spread out. If you really think that you were going to constantly get stuck in overflows forever and seeing countless super-zergs per event forever, you’re daft.

The game isn’t empty. I see other players constantly. Every event I’ve done, every single one, at least one person has been there with me. Just because you want to believe so badly that the game is bad and dead because of it simply because you don’t like it doesn’t make it so. You’re deluding yourself. People are in the game right now, in the tens of thousands, possibly over 100k, enjoying the game. Deal with it.

Dusk puff your chest out and beat the war drums its not going to change anything. The game has peaked and people are leaving. And its a very serious problem that all zones are not packed 5 weeks after release.

I played FFXI from 2004~2010 which was one of the most successful mmorpg’s in history. And from 2004 to 2007 every zone I ever visited was packed to the max 24/7. Often players were forced to camp on top of each other.

All you’re doing is saying it peaked. You seem pretty convinced, but have no proof at all.

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

Soulwatcher.2604

All you’re doing is saying it peaked. You seem pretty convinced, but have no proof at all.

It goes both ways! Show me the zones are packed thread and a net announcing selling 3~4million copies and all of the new servers they added.

Zale.9645

It goes both ways! Show me the zones are packed thread and a net announcing selling 3~4million copies and all of the new servers they added.

I would have had to claim anything first.

Soulwatcher.2604

There is nothing to claim my 4 year old nice can tell you that there are less players in the 1 to 70 zones then when I first started. That sad fact as many people on this forum have said many of the lower level zones are a ghost town. If this game was gaining and not losing players there would be people playing in those zones.

Zale.9645

There is nothing to claim my 4 year old nice can tell you that there are less players in the 1 to 70 zones then when I first started. That sad fact as many people on this forum have said many of the lower level zones are a ghost town. If this game was gaining and not losing players there would be people playing in those zones.

That’s a pretty cool story. Still waiting on that proof.

Soulwatcher.2604

If you want proof log in and look around instead of trolling the forums.

Zale.9645

Supporting your claims seems really hard. And here I thought you were certain. By all means, go ad hominem on me.

Soulwatcher.2604

Supporting your claims seems really hard. And here I thought you were certain. By all means, go ad hominem on me.

Zale I get it trolling the forums is way more fun then playing the game or you would be playing your self. All I am asking is 5 minutes of your time and about 50 silver to have a look around. (that is if your 80?)

Zale.9645

Zale I get it trolling the forums is way more fun then playing the game or you would be playing your self. All I am asking is 5 minutes of your time and about 50 silver to have a look around. (that is if your 80?)

I see plenty of people, but I can’t possibly judge the rise or decline of the game based on who I happen to see at the time. Clearly you can though. You are the great truth bringer. You know, besides that whole proof thing. I’m sure you got that covered.

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

“There is nothing to claim my 4 year old nice can tell you that there are less players in the 1 to 70 zones then when I first started. That sad fact as many people on this forum have said many of the lower level zones are a ghost town. If this game was gaining and not losing players there would be people playing in those zones.”

Hmm… well you see, there are actually three explanations for this.

1. Newer games tend to have more new players. Why? Well because, they’re new, more people are new, and less people have had adequate time to hit a higher level (70-80 in this case).

2. The older a game gets, the more people become high level. Thus, obviously, less people will be in lower zones. Regardless of population growth, less people will be in lower zones a month or two after release — because they’ll all have hit a higher level or quit. Either way, they’re gone. Why do you assume it’s because everyone’s quitting?

3. Because players are less preoccupied with leveling. When a game is newer, people want to be one of the first to max level. I know, I was one of the first to max level in ToR and Diablo 3 for that very reason. However, the older the game is, the less important it feels, thus people are more likely to do less rewarding tasks (e.g. sPvP, WvW) in order to have more fun.

So yeah, even if you had evidence for this claim (which I disagree with from the start, I see in — in the really low level zones especially — tremendous amounts of players).

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: GenericBox.1923

GenericBox.1923

Zale, I won’t assume what experience with MMO’s that you have – not that it matters (nor do I care), but please take off the rose-coloured glasses you are wearing or you will be still standing on the deck of the ship at the bottom of the ocean.

My /age shows that I have now played for 327 hours in 33 days. Do the math, I play this game for 10 hours a day (roughly), for all intents and purposes, I spend more of my time in Tyria than I do in the real world [with sleep]. (Sad, yes)

By all means I have recieved my money’s worth from this game, but I have also watched the server population rapidly (if not exponentially) decline in the last weeks.

You cannot judge the population by what you see during your peak hours – but I feel I can judge my server’s population (Sea of Sorrows), over an entire day.

You cannot get a dungeon group, you are doing dynamic events alone, and literally you are the only player on an entire map.

The game is in decline, because knowing that at least among the “hardcore” community, Sea of Sorrows was the unofficial Oceanic server – and has been full or close to it since launch.

If this is a full server at near desertion – I shudder to think what playing on a lower population server must be like.

Even when I log on to help a guildie run a dungeon (SE for example) – we have to wait for literally 30 minutes to find just 1 more player.. just 1.

Sure, everyone may be 80 and unwilling to go back to lower level dungeons – but this is the point, a “growing” game would not have a problem with lower-level areas — new players would be coming through. It wouldn’t be a problem if the game was enjoyable to level again, because alts would be flooding the zones.

Instead, it’s deserted, even the nearest main city Hoelbrok.

So keep up the fanboy act if you like, I’ve given this game my life for the last month – without pretending like its a good game (it really isn’t a good “game” – you’re not ‘playing’ anything if you have to stand around for 30 minutes trying to find other players for content) and try not to drown in tears when the game finally goes under.

Soulwatcher.2604

I see plenty of people, but I can’t possibly judge the rise or decline of the game based on who I happen to see at the time. Clearly you can though. You are the great truth bringer. You know, besides that whole proof thing. I’m sure you got that covered.

Zale is this your first MMO? This game is 5 weeks old and all of the zones should be packed with major zergs going on for the next 2 to 3 years. Games don’t need millions of players to be successful. What it needs is a constant influx of new players and people making alts to make the game fun for everyone at all levels!

A good example is FFXI the game peaked at 500k players. How ever every single zone I visited from 2004~2007 was packed to the max with people. People were coming and going in that game 24/7. The fact that that’s not happening here presents a real problem!

Zale.9645

Zale, I won’t assume what experience with MMO’s that you have – not that it matters (nor do I care), but please take off the rose-coloured glasses you are wearing or you will be still standing on the deck of the ship at the bottom of the ocean.

My /age shows that I have now played for 327 hours in 33 days. Do the math, I play this game for 10 hours a day (roughly), for all intents and purposes, I spend more of my time in Tyria than I do in the real world [with sleep]. (Sad, yes)

By all means I have recieved my money’s worth from this game, but I have also watched the server population rapidly (if not exponentially) decline in the last weeks.

You cannot judge the population by what you see during your peak hours – but I feel I can judge my server’s population (Sea of Sorrows), over an entire day.

You cannot get a dungeon group, you are doing dynamic events alone, and literally you are the only player on an entire map.

The game is in decline, because knowing that at least among the “hardcore” community, Sea of Sorrows was the unofficial Oceanic server – and has been full or close to it since launch.

If this is a full server at near desertion – I shudder to think what playing on a lower population server must be like.

Even when I log on to help a guildie run a dungeon (SE for example) – we have to wait for literally 30 minutes to find just 1 more player.. just 1.

Sure, everyone may be 80 and unwilling to go back to lower level dungeons – but this is the point, a “growing” game would not have a problem with lower-level areas — new players would be coming through. It wouldn’t be a problem if the game was enjoyable to level again, because alts would be flooding the zones.

So keep up the fanboy act if you like, I’ve given this game my life for the last month – without pretending like its a good game (it really isn’t a good “game” – you’re not ‘playing’ anything if you have to stand around for 30 minutes trying to find other players for content) and try not to drown in tears when the game finally goes under.

Appeal to authority

Ad hominem

Please continue.

Zale.9645

Zale is this your first MMO? This game is 5 weeks old and all of the zones should be packed with major zergs going on for the next 2 to 3 years. Games don’t need millions of players to be successful. What it needs is a constant influx of new players and people making alts to make the game fun for everyone at all levels!

A good example is FFXI the game peaked at 500k players. How ever every single zone I visited from 2004~2007 was packed to the max with people. People were coming and going in that game 24/7. The fact that that’s not happening here presents a real problem!

Riveting tale, old chap. Still waiting on proof. Preferably of the actual variety. Also nice assumptions about me.

Soulwatcher.2604

“There is nothing to claim my 4 year old nice can tell you that there are less players in the 1 to 70 zones then when I first started. That sad fact as many people on this forum have said many of the lower level zones are a ghost town. If this game was gaining and not losing players there would be people playing in those zones.”

Hmm… well you see, there are actually three explanations for this.

1. Newer games tend to have more new players. Why? Well because, they’re new, more people are new, and less people have had adequate time to hit a higher level (70-80 in this case).

2. The older a game gets, the more people become high level. Thus, obviously, less people will be in lower zones. Regardless of population growth, less people will be in lower zones a month or two after release — because they’ll all have hit a higher level or quit. Either way, they’re gone. Why do you assume it’s because everyone’s quitting?

3. Because players are less preoccupied with leveling. When a game is newer, people want to be one of the first to max level. I know, I was one of the first to max level in ToR and Diablo 3 for that very reason. However, the older the game is, the less important it feels, thus people are more likely to do less rewarding tasks (e.g. sPvP, WvW) in order to have more fun.

So yeah, even if you had evidence for this claim (which I disagree with from the start, I see in — in the really low level zones especially — tremendous amounts of players).

Then come to Jade Quarry, the other day I rolled a alt norn and there was no one in sight. And the events did not scale very well. It was such a horrible experience that I killed off the whole alt idea!

GenericBox.1923

Appeal to authority

Ad hominem

Please continue.

You do realise you are the one making the claim – you say this game is “not” declining. The burdon of proof (and argument) is on you.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam. At least learn how to troll properly if you are going to do it.

Noone here has to provide evidence the game is dying, nor can anyone outside ArenaNet provide server numbers, so all we can do is provide anecdotal evidence of our own experiences.

Again, you made the claim this game isn’t dying, so please provide your evidence for this and stop trying to hide from your attempt to call out logical fallacies when you are using the most arrogant and literally ignorant one of them all.

Zale.9645

Appeal to authority

Ad hominem

Please continue.

You do realise you are the one making the claim – you say this game is “not” declining. The burdon of proof (and argument) is on you.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam. At least learn how to troll properly if you are going to do it.

Noone here has to provide evidence the game is dying, nor can anyone outside ArenaNet provide server numbers, so all we can do is provide anecdotal evidence of our own experiences.

Again, you made the claim this game isn’t dying, so please provide your evidence for this and stop trying to hide from your attempt to call out logical fallacies when you are using the most arrogant and literally ignorant one of them all.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam – Implying that I said it wasn’t declining.

Ad Hominem – Implying I am a troll.

Soulwatcher.2604

Riveting tale, old chap. Still waiting on proof. Preferably of the actual variety. Also nice assumptions about me.

Zale you must love trolling all I keep reading is blah blah blah proof or it didn’t happen! I have 315 played hours in the game I know what I am talking about. I know this might come off as a new concept to you. But i do a little something called play the game. I also have 415k karma I run events all the time. How much have you played?

Arius.7031

Dusk puff your chest out and beat the war drums its not going to change anything.

This is exactly the problem with how people view MMO’s. MMO games are not the same as they used to be. Games like FF11 were so successful because MMO’s were not old, they were not everywhere, good ones were rare and special. This is no the case. By all standards of judgment, most MMO games released within the past few years are better than games like FF11 and SWG, yet they’re not growing anywhere near as fast. It’s because MMO games themselves have changed. You can’t use an 8 year old MMO to judge how a modern MMO should work. That does not work for multiple reasons.

Now, since you’re so clearly versed in how MMO games work, let someone who is equally verse tell you how every single modern MMO release has worked (Rift, Age of Conan, SW:ToR, Diablo 3 [if you can call that an MMO], and every other one) they start out with huge populations. Old, successful MMOs like FFXI’s population was built from the ground up, they started small and got bigger. Modern MMOs do not, instead they start big and shrink. After a month (in most cases), people reach endgame, and lots of people start quitting for various reasons (some don’t like the end game, some have already done the same style of endgame in another game and are bored of it, some just don’t like the game). The truth is, MMOs are not how they used to be. You can’t compare them.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Zale.9645

Zale you must love trolling all I keep reading is blah blah blah proof or it didn’t happen! I have 315 played hours in the game I know what I am talking about. I know this might come off as a new concept to you. But i do a little something called play the game. I also have 415k karma I run events all the time. How much have you played?

Yeah, it’s funny how I expect proof for claims people make. I should just accept everything people tell me.

Nice appeal to authority by the way.

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

It’s not that odd at all.

• People took time off to play GW2 (weeks for some) – they are now back at work during the day.
  • Students are back to Uni-work.
  • This is a busy time of the year for a lot of people.
  • Most people don’t play 24/7 a month after release if they played a lot.
  • People might have gone back to splitting their time between GW2 and other games they like.
  • Most people only have time to play during the evenings as they have families and work.

So yes, less people are playing during the days but it’s not rocket science and not something exclusive for GW2 either.
You should not compare the health of a server during the low-pop hours…

Posted by: Baked Goods.9428

Baked Goods.9428

nerds arguing over nothing.

move along folks nothing to see here

Zale.9645

nerds arguing over nothing.

move along folks nothing to see here

Dude, I have Gangnam style on repeat.

Soulwatcher.2604

Zale your a obvious troll trying to rile people up I am done talking to you until you come on here with some kind of proof that you play the game. Its people like you that try and ruin fun for everyone!

Zale.9645

Zale your a obvious troll trying to rile people up I am done talking to you until you come on here with some kind of proof that you play the game. Its people like you that try and ruin fun for everyone!

Now you hurt my feelings. All I wanted was proof to back up what you had been saying this whole time. It would help get your point across really well.

GenericBox.1923

I am not comparing the health of the game during low-pop hours, these are peak times for both American and Oceanic players.

I log on during US peak, and log off after Oceanic peak – so as was my point – I see the population over an entire day, not just as a snippet.

Log on to Sea of Sorrows right now (plum in the Oceanic peak times) – and have a look around.

I know the standard decline for MMOs after release, I’ve played WoW launch, SWG launch, Rift launch, SWTOR and now GW2. There is a predictable pattern of player behaviour.

It shouldn’t be within a month of launch though, it is usually a 3 month point that the decline starts, before players return around 6 months.

This game won’t work like other MMOs because it doesn’t have the subscription incentive (people don’t feel driven to play it because they are paying for it) – so nothing can be said yet of its longevity until the 6 month point.

But until then it is declining much more rapidly than any of those other launches.

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

I am not comparing the health of the game during low-pop hours, these are peak times for both American and Oceanic players.

I log on during US peak, and log off after Oceanic peak – so as was my point – I see the population over an entire day, not just as a snippet.

Log on to Sea of Sorrows right now (plum in the Oceanic peak times) – and have a look around.

I know the standard decline for MMOs after release, I’ve played WoW launch, SWG launch, Rift launch, SWTOR and now GW2. There is a predictable pattern of player behaviour.

It shouldn’t be within a month of launch though, it is usually a 3 month point that the decline starts, before players return around 6 months.

This game won’t work like other MMOs because it doesn’t have the subscription incentive (people don’t feel driven to play it because they are paying for it) – so nothing can be said yet of its longevity until the 6 month point.

But until then it is declining much more rapidly than any of those other launches.

yes, the game is bleeding players rapidly because there aren’t enough people in the servers at 2:38 am.

i also find it funny that a player who averaged 10 hours a day of play time would complain about no contents for him one month after release. The only thing that seperates games like wow and gw2 is the raid lock out timer each week. It seems like people prefer a pve mode that only allow you to play once a week than playing anytime you want everyday.

you spent 300+ hours on a game that has released for a month. For people that can only play 2-3 hours a day, the contents could easily last for months until new contents come out.

(edited by carson yuen.6739)

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

No the game isn’t dying. There are plenty of people still playing.

Yes, I have a level 80 Sylvari Ranger. I play her all the time.

Yes the bugs are frustrating, yes broken dynamic events in Orr are extremely frustrating and yes the bug about rewards in the dungeons is also frustrating.

Many of us have decided to stick it out anyway. Mainly because GW2 has spoiled us in game play and we just can’t go back to the clunky combat, mob tagging and node stealing ways of other games.

Soulwatcher.2604

GenericBox I couldn’t agree with you more I also play peak hours (est time zone) until the early morning and I am noticing the same thing. Major lack of players in the lower level zones. This game sold 2 million copies something is definitely wrong!

GenericBox.1923

And Zale, I hate doing the work for lazy people, but if you are so keen on imperial evidence, look at the statistics/figures at Xfire (was only a Google away)

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

While this is a display from the small community of Xfire users, it successfully predicted the decline of SWTOR (that was when I first found the site – it may have predicted other games too).

You can also imagine that Xfire users are more… gaming orientated… than most people – so if the “gamers community” is declining this fast, you can probably extrapolate these stats for the general player base.

Attachments:

Arius.7031

Okay, two of those are irrelevant. WoW and SWG were healthy releases, starting small and growing from the bottom up. We’re left with Rift, SW:ToR, and GW2. Let’s analyze these shall we.

Firstly, Rift. Rift is actually pretty much the standard by which how modern MMO launches work. They start of moderately large, then they crash, and they crash hard. Rift did maintain a healthy base for a little while, then it went down hard and fast. Since then it has somewhat stabilized, yet it is still in a slow decline.

Secondly, SW:ToR. Were you active on the SW:ToR forums? For about two weeks after release, there was virtually no whining. Then suddenly, everyone was whining. From that point onward, data indicated SW:ToR’s population was dropping to a large degree. It has been in a state of decline since that point, and that is why they’re now transition to F2P. If you were active in SW:ToR, you know full well it started declining either by or before the end of the first month.

Thirdly, you’ve completely ignored the multiple responses to why this issue is persisting, which I will reiterate in my next post.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Arius.7031

" -People took time off to play GW2 (weeks for some) – they are now back at work during the day.
-Students are back to Uni-work.
-This is a busy time of the year for a lot of people.
-Most people don’t play 24/7 a month after release if they played a lot.
-People might have gone back to splitting their time between GW2 and other games they like.
-Most people only have time to play during the evenings as they have families and work." -Ditrah

The truth is, there are multiple reasons why this is happening. One should not simply throw one’s hands up in the air, and assume the game is dying.

Edit: I’ll add a few more for fun.

-Most people buy MMOs at release. Thus, obviously there will be less newer players when compared to near release.
-Many high profile games have been released recently (MoP) which could distract from GW2.
-It could simply be a decrease in time spent on the game, not in amount of players.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

People also forget that Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and MoP all released in pretty quick succession after GW2. Eventually those people will get tired of those games (even MoP which, from what I hear, is already happening) and will be coming back. I’m already starting to see that trend on my own server.

Soulwatcher.2604

No the game isn’t dying. There are plenty of people still playing.

Yes, I have a level 80 Sylvari Ranger. I play her all the time.

Yes the bugs are frustrating, yes broken dynamic events in Orr are extremely frustrating and yes the bug about rewards in the dungeons is also frustrating.

Many of us have decided to stick it out anyway. Mainly because GW2 has spoiled us in game play and we just can’t go back to the clunky combat, mob tagging and node stealing ways of other games.

Were not to the point of saying 3 hail marry’s and tossing holey water over the shoulder and praying for the best. But like it or not the game is losing players no one can deny that.

The bad thing about loosing players is the more people leave the faster other people leave, its a huge ripple effect. When I bought this game I was planning on playing it for the next 3+ years.

My guild started out with 18 people who were real life friends or a friend of a friend. When the game was release every one logged in every night. Fast forward to today and 1 other person may log in during the week and 3 on the weekend. The rest of the people have giving up. How much longer before I have 0 friends on my friends list?

Posted by: Zoridium JackL.7463

Zoridium JackL.7463

^ that’s not dying, that’s the population stabilizing after release.

Posted by: TinyHowie.3946

TinyHowie.3946

GW 2 will retain with around same as GW 1 population, which is not comparable to most other top MMOs out there. I will continue to enjoy this game, cheers Anet.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I love the game even at 80 and it doesn’t bother me if ADD types who rushed to 80 then rushed thru getting gear got bored fast. IMO, these types are playing the game the wrong way and meh, whatever.

But, the game doesn’t feel as populated to me lately, at least not on my server, and most of the time I see more bots than players on my 80 or on alts of any level.

I’m really, really sick of bots, and sick of hearing about the lastest exploit by players, which is usually tied to crappy design or testing. An exploit is an exploit but better design and testing would’ve prevented a lot of the ill feelings from many players.

Zale.9645

Psst…Ask him to prove it.

GenericBox.1923

Rift declined fast? Again, using Xfire, it declined by just under half after a 3 months – About 45% decline in 3 months. Like I said, games will always decline after 3 months.

SWTOR and now GW2 have declined quicker is not a mimic of this standard – GW2 has declined by 75% in 1 month, SWTOR was probably something similiar.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

Rift declined fast? Again, using Xfire, it declined by just under half after a 3 months – About 45% decline in 3 months. Like I said, games will always decline after 3 months.

SWTOR and now GW2 have declined quicker is not a mimic of this standard – GW2 has declined by 75% in 1 month, SWTOR was probably something similiar.

Those statistics aren’t representative… because… because those using X-fire are more prone to leaving Guild Wars 2 after the first month. Oh wait…

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Zoridium JackL.7463

Zoridium JackL.7463

Psst…Ask him to prove it.

I don’t need to, he’s quite right that people are leaving, it’s just a simple fact of MMO life, after the initial release phase you get people leaving in droves, from those who didn’t like it to those that got burnt out too fast, and even some who left because of actual flaws within the game. the mistake he is making is assuming that equates to dying, it MAY cause the game to “die”, but it’s by all means just the population trying to reach a stable point, whether or not it makes it through the stabilization phase with enough people to carry on depends entirely on how many people enjoy the game and are reasonable enough to not jump ship as soon as they see an ice cube on the horizon.

Arius.7031

1. Amount of hours played =/= amount of players playing. Correlation does not imply causation (less hours played does not imply less people playing). Again, there are many reasons why less time may be spent playing. There are also many reasons why less people would be playing that would occur regardless of whether or not the game is doing well.
2. You’re comparing P2P to F2P, which while I understand (and in some cases it can be) it’s important to recognize the difference. P2P compels people to play, F2P does not. There is not the same sense of urgency to get on and play as with P2P.
3. X-fire is not a trustworthy nor accurate representation of the statistics at all. Not only does it appeal to select groups (FPS gamers, and WoW types), it’s based on hours played not amount of players.

Anyhow, I don’t doubt that your Rift statistic is accurate. I would, however, like to be able to verify it for myself.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

What is Xfire and how is it related at all to the real playerbase?

Snow Crows [SC]