Guild Wars 2 - Nice Community?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Level 80 characters have full traits and, e.g., 200 power matters, even when they scale it down. Also, level 80s drop lots of rare and usually are fully equiped rare, if not exotic. Also, I believe explorable modes are made for 80 players to go back to the dungeon and replay it, hence they all give 80+ gear as a reward.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Give me a nice, chatty level 60 player with a nice sense of humor who has never even heard of the dungeon anytime. I prefer those over one of those elitist self proclaimed pros who only want to do speedruns with fully geared level 80’s.

Even though the dungeon takes a little bit longer, I’ll know I have more fun along the way.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

That’s why I mostly stick to guild runs. Our guild is mature and relaxed, we only accept adults, most of our members are married with children, and there’s no such thing as speed runs or leaving members behind for whatever reason.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Give me a nice, chatty level 60 player with a nice sense of humor who has never even heard of the dungeon anytime. I prefer those over one of those elitist self proclaimed pros who only want to do speedruns with fully geared level 80’s.

Even though the dungeon takes a little bit longer, I’ll know I have more fun along the way.

This exactly. As soon as I am in a pug and someone turns into the gunny and is yelling at folks then talking smack because they didn’t do it right then or like he had imagined it, I want to leave. I’d rather have some chill folks, 1 or 2 with unfair pulled up, and just have a good time killing a dungeon. I hate looking at my gaming like a job, an when it starts becoming one, I go elsewhere. Not interested, lol.

Posted by: Alk Trio Fan.6357

Alk Trio Fan.6357

There is a large portion of the dungeon running community that appears to have anger management issues and a lot of elitism, BUT it’s not all bad, don’t let a few bad apples ruin your time.

I run a lot of dungeons, and most of the time I have to find myself a PuG. Now, normally I prefer to run this myself so I’ll generally start a new group then I’ll do a few things to work out in what way we’ll run this group:

• Is everyone 80? If not then I won’t do a ‘speedrun’ where you skip a number of the mobs, should the low level in particular die then they’ll struggle to get back
  • Check the achievement scores of players, this is actually a good way of approximating how skilled the player is, it’s not meant offensively to those with low achievement scores, but those who tend to have a high achievement score are likely to have played the game a fair bit. If a low level player has a high achievement score, they’re likely not new to the game.
  • I will not tolerate abuse in my runs, and this is the main reason I like to have control of the run. I will enter the dungeon, so no-one can rage quit the run and kick us all out. I will warn anyone who gets aggressive should something go wrong (I like to have a laugh, sometimes I do stupid stuff for the sheer Hell of it), should they continue they’ll be kicked from the party.

One of my entertaining experiences in AC the other day was when I found a party of 4 rangers, as I also happen to have a ranger I rerolled into it so it was a 5 man AC ranger party. I found this hilarious. Anyway, fast forward to the Troll, as it spawned, I ran off to grab Kholer (luring the two together makes them fight, wait until Kholer’s hp is down to 25% and then start laying into them both for loot off of both bosses) and proceeded to run back to the troll.
Unfortunately, something went a little wrong, I got knocked down, stunned then grabbed and murdered by Kholer, then the party wiped. The lowest level ranger with us (and lowest achievement score by far) just up and left the party. I see this as unacceptable and anyone who leaves without a word gets added to my block list (which is quite substantial now) but I whispered him asking why he left. His response was ‘Because you don’t know how to run the dungeon’ and then a serious of insults because I made a mistake and the two bosses didn’t fight. I found it funny, but that’s the type of person I am, don’t take it to heart, people are only so aggressive because it’s over the internet!

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

Come to Tarnished Coast. Since transfer I’ve yet to experience any of what you mentioned. (barring one minor incident, but jerks are like weeds. no way you can 100% get rid of em.) In any case, /report is good, also remember don’t insult them back, don’t use expletives or give them fodder to nail you. Anet has been pretty good about banning people for verbal abuse.

Oh yeah, I also seldom run dungeons. In any case the PuGs I’ve been with have been helpful and patient.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

(edited by StormcrowX.9236)

Posted by: Chriswck.6490

Chriswck.6490

I propose that the majority of negativity is due to the “honeymoon” effect wearing off.

People now begin to see the faults and flaws of the game; and have to realize that the good things are still there but were just overweighted when the game first came out.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I propose that the majority of negativity is due to the “honeymoon” effect wearing off.

People now begin to see the faults and flaws of the game; and have to realize that the good things are still there but were just overweighted when the game first came out.

No trust me as a long long time player of mmos of all kinds, it’s definitely the gear treadmill dungeoneer crowd entering the game en masse. Gearscore, dps meters, demands on new players to be instantly level 80 are just the beginning of the downfall of the community.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times to other titles. the moment these people get in there and start breaking up the community and the company alienates the community they were originally hoping to keep, it’s really REALLY difficult to come back from that.

The majority of us who don’t care about dungeons, who play the game to see the world and play with our friends in open events where people aren’t worried about your level or gear to participate are patiently waiting for what they will do next in their upcoming patches.

It’s not just the gear treadmill that we were all complaining about when the Nov 16th patch was released, many of us knew this was coming.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

yeah give me ONE lvl60….

Give me 4 level 60 and they’ll just learn to hate dungeon to the point of never put a foot in one again.

nothing to do with elitism, rather than with balancing….
It was what i experienced as a pug…..
I went inanother just wheni got full exotic <.< die to the bad experience i had (oneshot by any ranger i met…. ._. at that time…)

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

As for the level 80 thing, it’s about equipping better gear. Your character is down-leveled for the dungeon but your armor and weapons are not. I’ll go with anyone at the level for story line runs, but I hate explorable and won’t go unless people are level 80 with at least rare gear equipped.

I hope I’m not sounding elitist about this. I just hate dungeons to begin with and I don’t want to spend more time than I have to in them.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Players asking for level 80’s it’s only a symptom of the inherent problems with Dungeons.
They are simply unreasonably hard for the average player, and there’s no difficulty setting of any kind.

All dungeons should have had a leveling system like the fractals. Shared between all dungeons, so you don’t have to unlock the difficulty levels on each one. They should even share the levels with the fractals themselves.

The first levels in the fractals are very fun, and still challenging, but enemies won’t one-hit-kill you like they do in Dungeons, while in dungeons every single creature is like a veteran with champion stats.

So when players see how slow defeating a single normal creature is, they’ll want to maximize everything they can and skip everything they can in order to make things faster, so the time invested matches the reward.

You can’t fix players, so they must fix the dungeons.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

beren.6048

The majority of us who don’t care about dungeons, who play the game to see the world and play with our friends in open events where people aren’t worried about your level or gear to participate are patiently waiting for what they will do next in their upcoming patches.

It’s not just the gear treadmill that we were all complaining about when the Nov 16th patch was released, many of us knew this was coming.

Unrelated to this quote: earlier I explained the way of thinking why someone wants a level 80 random / pug howeva you call it. Personally I don’t run so much dungeons and I would not care if someone is 60 in greens or 80 in exotic.

Now, on this quote, unfortunately I don’t agree. On desolation I see people only doing fractals. Peoples behavior seems to show they want dungeons, lots of dungeons. The open events? Most of them are too hard to do solo and there is nobody around most of the times. People prefer to do fractals with all the exotic dropping like never before and the dungeons are taking away the open world population. This open world is so massive that it already seemed empty, but at least Orr use to have a couple of groups.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

No trust me as a long long time player of mmos of all kinds, it’s definitely the gear treadmill dungeoneer crowd entering the game en masse. Gearscore, dps meters, demands on new players to be instantly level 80 are just the beginning of the downfall of the community.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times to other titles. the moment these people get in there and start breaking up the community and the company alienates the community they were originally hoping to keep, it’s really REALLY difficult to come back from that.

I concur. The attitudes of a the players I’ve grouped with have only gotten worse after the release of the Fractal Dungeon. Thing is I said this before the patch and got brushed off. The GW2 community wasn’t like that they said. Sorry the GW2 community is not better than any other. So when you create something like the Fractal Dungeon elitism will run high and affect all other content as well that requires grouping.

beren.6048

…..All dungeons should have had a leveling system like the fractals. Shared between all dungeons, so you don’t have to unlock the difficulty levels on each one. They should even share the levels with the fractals themselves….

Then you just move the problem. Not the characters level will be an issue, but his dungeon level will be the issue. Instead of telling you, “no sorry your not level 80” they ll tell you “no sorry your not Dungeon level 20”

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

But there’s always people at lower ‘dungeon levels’ doing something.

You don’t see it with the fractals because they had the ‘smart move’ of putting the waiting place in Lion’s Arch instead in the Mistlock Observatory. Because of that, all players are spread through Overflows.

Put the levels in tiers so a level 1 can join up to 5, a level 6 up to 10 etc, change the waiting point to Mistlock, and add a proper wordwide party search that let you look for parties to do something while you do something else in some other map instead waiting at the door, and the problem will be mostly gone from the game’s side.

Degrees of ‘elitism’ will always be there, but these changes would reduce them enough for lower level palyers to get in, at least with each other.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

First off, I never once set foot in a dungeon do to what the OP has experienced. I got a few 80’s and neither of them set foot in a dugeon. The problem I see here is the cesspool known as the WoW community playing GW2.

Second, why do people ask for 80’s for a low level dungeon, I thought you get autoadjusted anyways to match the level cap of the dungeon? Heres the thing, the devs designed that dungeon specificly for the level you are suppose to be when doing it, people say they have more skills unlocked. But if the dungeons where designed for, said level brackets, then you having more skills unlocked should not matter in these dungeons.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

GW2 still has one of the best in-game communities I’ve seen. Often bad actors are chalked up to human nature and people don’t appreciate the role of the game design in shaping a culture. I think Anet has had some brilliant ideas like shared resource nodes and quests, DE’s—they all combine to make you want to see people on the map and help them out. You even are rewarded for rezzing people. These are game features that contribute to a good game culture. Sadly, more and more we are seeing the results of the introduction of game features which contribute to a bad game culture. Gated content (FotM) and vertical progression fragments the community and breeds both elitism and impatience with other players. There have been good examples given so I don’t need to offer more. My point is that the incentives for playing well with other players are being diluted by the introduction of elements in game design that contribute to the creation of a toxic culture. I honestly don’t know what happened to Anet around this, the change is glaring and I don’t understand what they were thinking. They had such a clear vision; I don’t know what’s occluded it. But, we are starting to see the culture emerge that many of us wanted to escape in leaving another major MMO. From all public statements, and especially the AMA, good news is not on the horizon.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: jinsei.5178

jinsei.5178

Glad to see I am not the only one with bad experiances. Also thank you all for giving some great tips. I will surely be doing something with them. Especially turning map chat off might help!

@ LordByron.8369
I have completed AC with lower level people so it is not impossible. Harder? yes but a lot of fun it was for sure! With some nice people even the dying was not bad at all.

@Alk Trio Fan
Checking the Achievementscore can be tricky tho. Some people might gain points for completing puzzles etc and never do a dungeon while I do more dungeons then darn puzzles lol but I get your point!

Further more I think the game is great ad may still have some flaws but it is still great. It’s just people that I do not understand. Some people care a little too much about being the best unfortunatly. Guess this will always be like that too.

Anyway, you guys helped alot so thnx for that! I’m trying to focus a bit more on the players that are actually nice and helpfull. Such a shame tho that just one jerk can change my mood so much. That’s just something I have to change about myself wich is darn hard haha.

Note to Self: Be Nyappy!

(edited by jinsei.5178)

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

The portal to the new dungeon should be put on the new island in my opinion.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

But that’s no excuse for them to treat others badly. I always said the internet brings out peoples true colors cause if they did this to a person in real life they would get the crap kicked out of them. So they do it over the internet where they know 99% of the time they can get away with it. IMO I don’t think it has anything to do with the honeymoon effect of the game. I truly believe they are just heartless people.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

But that’s no excuse for them to treat others badly. I always said the internet brings out peoples true colors cause if they did this to a person in real life they would get the crap kicked out of them. So they do it over the internet where they know 99% of the time they can get away with it. IMO I don’t think it has anything to do with the honeymoon effect of the game. I truly believe they are just heartless people.

It’s really not the honeymoon thing. Those of us complaining the loudest are the types of players who don’t worry about gear every minute (altho getting exotics the original way was very nice and appreciated) we were complaining the loudest because we knew the types of players this dungeon only mentality would bring into the game. It was like that to a smaller degree before, but now it’s getting ugly and it’s harming the community.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: deborah.2068

deborah.2068

While in all mmos, exception might be horizontal progression mmos but have never played one, have their elitist and the packs of lemings that follow right behind them. For me I just laugh at them and move on, they are the virtually the dog chasing their tail nonstop they will never hit the top of the penicle. By the time they get a full set of best in the slot gear the devs throw better out there for them to chase. And the only thing the devs are doing adding stat to gear equals adding hp to mobs bosses ect. So you are not more strong. If they think it shows they have skills most of the truely skilled players I have met in 7yrs of playing never worried about best in slot cuz they were skilled and didnt need extra stats to carry them and well who wants the headache of a grind with grumpy elitist that think they know everything. With downscaling it would be near impossible to one man anything until years down the road. So look at who is saying it and take pleasure in the fact that you arent the one chasing their tail or the leming following them. The moment the group isnt fun anymore walk away they can get another take heart in the fact that you wont be wasting you time or theirs and find a nicer group that is fun and casual and does the dungeon for these reasons. Truth be said might ask this at beginning of run and leave if people arent there for that reason or show a response that is trended towards elitism.

Posted by: smiljem.4632

smiljem.4632

Think about it. When you were 35, you were still fairly new the the game. More than doubling your time on a character WILL make you better.

Dungeons are not scaled for low levels to do them effectively. It’s like they tried to mix heroics from WoW with normal dungeons all in one. Level scaling is annoying. They should have a level 80 version (hard) and a low level (easy) version. Why else would a level “35” dungeon give level 80 tokens. It makes no sense.

And yes, a level 80 will have MUCH better gear. My tank warrior can kill a normal level 35 enemy in one whirling blade.

I don’t mind dragging a lowbie around but to be honest, with two or three, we won’t make it. I don’t want to waste my time.

Doesn’t mean I am mean. I still help players. I save anyone who shows on my map that is in trouble or downed. I’ve given away lower level rares from events like the Shatterer. I answer questions in map chat.

deborah.2068

See what I mean, My hubby is very skilled He took his mesmer not in full exotic set, Me a glass cannon no gear to speak of, my mother on a necro not geared, and my nephew level 55 in there. We enjoyed the hour we spent in there. But he is one of those truely skilled players and had played GW1 and unstands the game mechanics.

Truely if that is your game style and how you like and enjoy to play continue. My post was only to give the op a fresh view and maybe a alternative. Dont take everything so personal.

PS yes we did effectively 4 man it

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

I don’t mind dragging a lowbie around but to be honest, with two or three, we won’t make it. I don’t want to waste my time.

lol?

We did all 3 paths of AC the night before last with only 2 people over level 40, and only one 80. All within about an hour, some of the smoothest runs I’ve ever done.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Come to Tarnished Coast. Since transfer I’ve yet to experience any of what you mentioned. (barring one minor incident, but jerks are like weeds. no way you can 100% get rid of em.) In any case, /report is good, also remember don’t insult them back, don’t use expletives or give them fodder to nail you. Anet has been pretty good about banning people for verbal abuse.

Oh yeah, I also seldom run dungeons. In any case the PuGs I’ve been with have been helpful and patient.

I just left Tarnished Coast because of the exact same reasons as the OP is describing. Ever since fractals opened, I was running into jerk central all the time (even outside fractals). Maybe I just got unlucky, I dunno.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

I think there is something wrong if your feelings get hurt on a video game. Some random 14 year old kid over the internet saying random things to you while it’s obvious he has no idea who you are and is a complete stranger to you, your feelings get hurt :S ?
Seriously.

If someone tells you to link your equipment for any dungeon lol, maybe fractal 20+ rly needs at least 10 agony res, but anything esle, you should just tell him to fo.

Man up guys.

Posted by: geets.9035

geets.9035

Personally i think the in game community on our server is outstanding most players are extremely helpful and friendly however there are always occasionally those that are not but they are by far only a very small minority..

I do agree the fractals have damaged the game overall but that has more to do with anets lack of foresight and heavy handed kneejerk nerfing than the playerbase..

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

To be honest, people go into a dungeon to get things done. Specifically farm tokens.
No one wants to bother wasting their time with a noob who doesn’t know his left from his right.

Stop being selfish, the world doesn’t revolve around you. The community is nice if you are nice to it. Honestly all I read in the opening post is “I’m a special snowflake but nobody else thinks so. Community must be bad.” The faster you drop this notion, the faster you’ll grow up.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

First off, there is no such thing as content that is too hard for its own level range. This obsession is driven by the insanely common trend of “get in, get our reward, and get out”. A level 80 will SOMETIMES be a better player (as the game matures and peaks, more and more of those low levels are going to be experienced with the game). A group of people in that level range can do the content, and they do it all the time… It just takes planning and thinking, and actually working as a team instead of CHARGE!!!!!!!

Dungeons tend to always bring out this level of “bad” from the communities in these games. Let’s just be honest, most players just do not want a challenge, they want it to be easy for them, but hard for everyone else. There was a day when you played these games and expected to die when you do group content, because it was hard, and that was the point.

And Reikou, everyone has to learn at some point. Either he’s a level 35 who is clueless on the dungeon and how to do this stuff as a group or he’s a level 80 who is clueless on the dungeon and how to do this stuff as a group. You don’t magically get all this knowledge because you’re 80, you have to actually do the stuff to know how to do it. Nobody is asking the world to revolve around them, they’re asking to be allowed to your super exclusive groups and be able to actually do the content that’s designed for their level range, and get to play the MMO in groups.

This is why scaling levels down is NEVER the answer.

(edited by tonyl.5063)

deborah.2068

To be honest, people go into a dungeon to get things done. Specifically farm tokens.
No one wants to bother wasting their time with a noob who doesn’t know his left from his right.

Stop being selfish, the world doesn’t revolve around you. The community is nice if you are nice to it. Honestly all I read in the opening post is “I’m a special snowflake but nobody else thinks so. Community must be bad.” The faster you drop this notion, the faster you’ll grow up.

To be honest best in slot gear, being 80 doesnt mean they know what they are doing : game mechanics, dungeon encounter, boss mechanics ect ect….. I mean just look at the forums where people are argueing about the holy trinity in GW2

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

On my previous server (Sea of Sorrows), I witnessed people flaming each other in Orr because certain groups were not completing DEs in a certain prescribed fashion. (apparently hindering their 100% karma farming efficiency. god forbid.) All people did in the Straits of Devastation was run around in huge zergs farming DEs at breakneck speed, and if you happened to do a DE without following the “zerg”, you would get called all sorts of unsavoury names.

These were the “hardcore” threadmillers, aka. Anet’s Most Dedicated Players. (lol)
I wanted no part of such a community, so I jumped servers.

So yes, I have no doubt that we’re going to see more of this negative sentiment as the threadmill grinders take over this game.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

Previous

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Don’t forget to write a ticket if you experience insults, rude behaviour and verbal abuse via name calling in the game, to support a friendly community.

Thank you.

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Don’t forget to write a ticket if you experience insults, rude behaviour and verbal abuse via name calling in the game, to support a friendly community.

Thank you.

This.

So much.

The community is not something “other people” take care of, manage, or moderate.

We do this.

Or we don’t. In either case, we get the community we deserve.

I’ve seen Reddit threads in the past on why people got suspended or banned, and it comes down to what players say to each other directly instead of to the public. For example if you swear in map chat as a general statement “Those F-word karka!” that’s not too big of a deal. But if you call someone a name (“You F-word C-word, etc.”) that is reportable and action will be taken. That’s the gist of it, anyway (correct me if I’m wrong).

So if you really value any possibility of having a decent community in this game and keeping it that way, do not be afraid to report people. It takes all of 5 seconds to do so. Nothing about it needs to be said to anyone else, just do it and keep it to yourself.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

The game was very very nice, extremely helpful community but that community kind of died off seem like right at or during The Lost Shores event. What is left is the more hardcore community and ya it’s a bit rough around the edges. I’ve seen a significant change of attitude. Probably not just the switch of the old guard, but the frustration with Guild Wars 2 as well. Most of the time the heat starts up over frustrations with bugs, and other things with the game. It boils over into the community.

I think once Anet stops messing around with expansions, and events and starts working on bugs we’ll see some of the community return and some of anger go away. Also removing dungeon DR would help.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My husband and I are currently leveling alts and lo and behold there seems to be a lot of players doing the same thing.
We have also noticed that the players we run into in the world are even nicer than before, when we leveled our mains.

We came to the conclusion that the function of FoTM is to suck all the kittens out of the world map and confine them in one spot, so that the rest of us can get on with our game.
We have had a great time this week

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

My husband and I are currently leveling alts and lo and behold there seems to be a lot of players doing the same thing.
We have also noticed that the players we run into in the world are even nicer than before, when we leveled our mains.

We came to the conclusion that the function of FoTM is to suck all the kittens out of the world map and confine them in one spot, so that the rest of us can get on with our game.
We have had a great time this week

That could be true, dungeon kiddies are not nice people in my experience. Ask them what they’ll do after Fractals in LA and watch them throw a tantrum in caps lock

Posted by: Shinarika.5642

Shinarika.5642

I don’t know really, I hope I won’t meet such people, but so far it seems all good on our server.

I do every instance as soon as I get the mail, with a half guild/half pug group I make, & never have encountered this, story & explorer. We’ve only ever had one 80 & we had our fair share of wipes, normally about 3-4 each dungeon, story & explorer about the same strangely enough. But everyone just keeps having fun & tries to learn tactics & enjoys it …or so I hope at least! xD

Posted by: fathamburger.8453

fathamburger.8453

Game design is the biggest influence on the community, no the people themselves. Arenanet designed a game where everyone could res and help others up (not just healers), and lo and behold everyone was more helpful and nice during the 1-80 game. Dungeons however reflect the opposite, it is a grind forcing people to repeat content long after it’s ceased to be novel and entertaining so naturally people who would not have repeated dungeons because they were actually fun but for gear would want to get it over with as fast as possible and want the best possible chances (80, best geared etc).

I’ve levelled my warrior from 35 onwards essentially exclusively in dungeons and he’s now 72 and have only really had one or two problems getting a group i.e. someone who just left when the found out I was going to do the dungeon with the low level character but basically.. it really doesn’t make much of a difference. What DID make the difference was that I had 3 other 80’s and had ran dungeons on them so I was an experienced player vs a fresher who does not want to know enough to skip and actually WANTS to experience the dungeon as it was meant to be played. Those guys… you’re gonna have problems,. You should have started the game at release like everyone else :P

All this player sniping and going at each other is a result of bad game design that makes the community turn against each other, people are people and the environment will influence behaviour more than most people will credit or admit. This happened in GW1 as well when PVP players were forced to run PVE over and over with multiple characters just to unlock skills. Were we there to actually enjoy the mission for the umpteenth time? no. Were we remotely fun to play with for people who actually did want to play for content? nope. I saw a character named “Oh God Not More PVE” and remember whispering the guy for the great name.

This is seeming to be a trend with Arenanet, their solution to longevity to their games is always to deliberately make bad, grindy decisions such as Fractals levelling instead of tiers because a lot of people are lemmings and will put up with it. If we’re lucky they come in and implement the thing they should have done in the first place i.e. tiers for fractals and cap it’s endless nature which we know is likely coming. First however they do kitten like this to see what they can get away with and what community will put up with when it comes to artificially extending the lifespan of their content

Woman Scorned – 80 Sylvari Elementalist
OMG U Noobs – 80 Norn Guardian
Jade Quarry server

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

We did AC explore at lvl 40-ish. Went fine.

Those that want only lvl 80’s tend to be, frankly, bad players. They rely on having max stats and damage and survivability, because they are poor at avoiding damage or doing the right actions. They want their peers to be the same, so their peers can survive longer when having to carry more weight.

I never say “80 only”. I get a group and go. Quite often, the loudest one screaming is the poorest player. Instead of playing, they are typing IN ALL CAPS YADA YADA !!!!!

It is annoying.

Speed clears are the worst, and a joke. They are not doing anything faster by shaving off 5-10 min. And they really show they are poor players when they glitch past content, the bug gets patched, and they now need to complete the dungeon legit, and can’t.

I notice Guardians seem to be the most guilty and immature. I think it is because that type of player is attracted to all the blocks the guardian can rely on, so they just don’t bother to play very well. So they add poorly to the group, and if they need to step it up for the group, they get prissy.

Not saying Guardians are bad lol. Just that I most find that attitude of player is on a Guardian.

I typically will back up the underdog. I’d rather have a low level slow player that just needs to learn the dungeon than one trying to race through and min/max everything.

Also, gw2lfg.com is a nice site for finding players. You can leave a note, “no elitist or immature personalities”.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

Yeah, gw2lfg.com is good. You take a risk advertising to the whole NA/EU playerbase, but you can add a note that will cause the kind of people you don’t want to run with to skip over you. Like “No speed runs/micromanagers” or “speed runs”, depending on you. I’ve not had any bad experience with it. Yet.

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

I notice Guardians seem to be the most guilty and immature. I think it is because that type of player is attracted to all the blocks the guardian can rely on, so they just don’t bother to play very well. So they add poorly to the group, and if they need to step it up for the group, they get prissy.

Well, that’s insulting to say the least.

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Many talk about running with guilds as if that is the be-all and end-all of this game. I, for one, have yet to find a guild that makes it worth being in. For one simple reason: Voice Chat. I don’t talk. I can’t talk. So I don’t have a mic. And, sadly, with the progression of this game, as well as so many others, voice has become mandatory. Even many PUGs now, are giving out raidcall info and demanding everyone be on voice. Because it is so hard to type and run this game, for one.

I have come across many rude people in this game. But I’ve come across many more that are not. You just have to remember that behind those characters are real people, and they act like real people. Some are jerks, some are meek, some are rude, some are great. Ignore the jerks and move on. Find those that are not. Change servers if you must, to find a community that does not know you.

Because yes, YOU can get a reputation on a server, too. As being easy meat, a quick target for those who look for one, or just as a whiner. Let it go. Play the game for you, not for anyone else. Refuse to give them a target, and it will be easier on you. If it is a group, simply say you have to go, company has arrived, or make another innocuous excuse. Apologize and leave. No one needs to know you were hurt, no one needs to know anything. Just go.

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

Earlier in this thread I mentioned you can’t blame someone too much for wanting a better PUG group due to the high costs of repair. The thought being if you form a better group there should be less deaths and smaller repair bills.

That thought does not offer any solutions of which I did not have any decent suggestions for at the time.

There is a small adjustment that could be made that would solve this for just about everyone. Get those people who want to do a gear check or find out your achievement scores to say so in advance. That would save them having to ask you after you are partied or just about to enter the instance.

It is a simple courtesy that those of you who want these types of requirements to be met before you do a dungeon run is to say so in advance so that you don’t waste other peoples time only to find out they aren’t the level or geared that you expected to have in your party.

Posted by: Grimrah.9256

Grimrah.9256

I would like to share my thoughts on this subject. I do feel that there are some really rotten apples in the community but, I KNOW that the Awesome Players and community far far outnumbers them. This is going to take some time for us to get the community the way we need it to be. Right now the game is so very new and fresh that we have some disgruntled GW1 fans that are having a real hard time adjusting to the new way of things. We also have the immature riffraff that just likes to be nasty to strangers for sure bliss of anonymity’s thrill. I feel like as we all play together longer and UTILIZE the Verbal Abuse Report option, then the community will take care of itself and we will see less of this. GW2 does not mess around with bullies and verbal abusers…they deal with it sternly. They can not take effective actions if they are unaware….so please use report. TY

Posted by: Grimrah.9256

Grimrah.9256

I would like to share my thoughts on this subject. I do feel that there are some really rotten apples in the community but, I KNOW that the Awesome Players and community far far outnumbers them. This is going to take some time for us to get the community the way we need it to be. Right now the game is so very new and fresh that we have some disgruntled GW1 fans that are having a real hard time adjusting to the new way of things. We also have the immature riffraff that just likes to be nasty to strangers for sure bliss of anonymity’s thrill. I feel like as we all play together longer and UTILIZE the Verbal Abuse Report option, then the community will take care of itself and we will see less of this. GW2 does not mess around with bullies and verbal abusers…they deal with it sternly. They can not take effective actions if they are unaware….so please use report. TY

Posted by: Nerael.9845

Nerael.9845

Piken’s Square (EU) Player here.

I have to say that as jerks and other unfriendly folks go I’ve met quite a couple of them. However I have also met quite a few of the opposite.

I myself have been in a guild the day I created my main character thus have always had the luxury to go with my Guild(We’re growing though) as small as it is.

This is why I refuse to go with unfriendly PUGs. I rather fail a dungeon then complete it with what I consider to be “Elitist Jerks”. If you meet the level requirement for the dungeon? Feel free to join and if someone opens their mouth in a nasty manner: I’ll take the friendly folks and start a new group. Why? Because I play the game for fun. Everyone was low level once, some 80s helped me when i was low, it’s my turn to repay the favor.

Back in my WoW days my best friend (Not a gamer) played an instance for the first time. She was warrior(Tank) and I was healer. We were stuck with some “Elitist jerks” whom kept rushing the dungeon. As a new player she had a really hard time tanking and due to that they kicked her out of the party halfway. Of course this caused me to leave as well and they couldn’t complete the dungeon. We looked for a new group and the new PUG was super friendly. They understood she was new and we simply took our time in the beginning. After a little while she(my best friend) kept going faster and faster until in the end she was one of the best tanks I’ve seen. The other members of the PUG were equally impressed. We did 4 more dungeons with ease simply because the party had a good atmosphere and group synergy. We swiftly became friends and I played together with them for about a year afterwards.

Conclusion: There are jerks out there but also the opposite. Just because you’ve had some bad experiences does not mean the good aren’t there. Bad people come and go, the good last a long time.

Find some friends and guild members to play with online, create your own group. Let the Elitist Jerks suffer the consequences of their own actions. In the end nobody will want to group with them except the other elitist jerks .They’ll just wind up having arguments over whom has the biggest kitten anyways and still won’t complete the dungeon.

Us friendly folks are still out there!
If you ever want to chill out and have fun with some friendly folks, my door is always open. (Goes for everyone, not just the OP).

Level or gear requirement? Level 1 and Whites :-P We’ll get you to 80 and geared up in no time!

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

Well, now I’m terrified to even do a dungeon run.

I haven’t gotten around to doing that particular part of the game yet, which is probably why I haven’t had any run-ins with rude people. In general, except for a particularly nasty guy who I saw once making fun of non-English speaking players and typing in allcaps (I’m on an EU server), the experience I’ve had with GW2 people has been nothing but positive. Some players have even gone out of their way to help me on several occasions. Far better than the Diablo 3 crowd.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Reason nr1: Level 80 players are better players. (I laughed)

Actually, he might have meant that in a different way than you expected. Once you level a character to 80, try going back to a zone where it levels you down to about 35. You’re going to do MUCH better than you would have done when you were actually 35. You’re going to blow things away compared to others who are actually 35 in the zone.

Also, dungeons are VERY hard. I did AC with a group of 4 level 80s, and one character in the upper 50s… and we died lots. We had all agreed that we would not have had a chance if we were all actually 35. So as long as dungeons remain the way they are now… and the level scaling continues to work the way it does… I won’t run any dungeons on any of my characters until they hit 80.

So I think that’s what he meant. I don’t think he meant that level 80s are better “players”, but that they are much more powerful when compared to lower level players… even though they are “leveled down” to the same level.

The main reason i see people bringing 80’s that claim 80’s are better players is because bad players are always going to be bad player’s, does not matter if they are level 30 or level 80. The thing is these bad players will hamper the group less at 80 as the traits and gear will atleast make up some for there skill level.

Now that being said I read a post of someone saying stuff about level 80’s in lower level area’s. Ill just note while yes things are easier i still see more 80’s downed and dead in lower level area’s than i do low level’s. I on average get atleast 5 tell’s a week asking me to revive them in which case i have to kill the mobs that killed them and revive them. Promptly followed by heading off and 2 minutes later getting that same tell all over again form the same level 80. At that point i tend to escort them out of the area and tell them if they die again im not reviving them.

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

I think the friendliest bunch was from eq2 - such a great guild worst of course was wow - i think we all know this lmao!

Mors janua vitæ