Gw2 Suggestions - Please change the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Neurotoxic.4521

Neurotoxic.4521

Hopefully This suggestion is placed in the correct place on the Gw2 forum – But I have some things to address — So IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG place on the forum, please move it to the “suggestion” forum, I’d rather not rewrite it:
So, First..I think some things need to be changed. I love what you have done with the game and that’s wonderful, but still half of thte map is not accessible so if you are constructing things – there are several elements that I feel are missing, and this has seriously had an impact on myself & many other players.
--—————————————————————————————————————————————-
First, Why is this one of the first RPGs that you removed Elves from the race list? Elf races are one of the most classic races in any mmo, and I think without them, a game is seriously deficient. All the other classes in gw2 are great..but elves are removed ? I really recommend that you place these back into the game….so many people have brought this to my attention. There’s nothing like having a classic elf character & a place that represents them.
—————————————————
Second, other than Dragons and Zombies, I think gw2, in comparrison to other mmos has lost its touch in the sense of fantasy. There’s no big ACCESSIBLE castles with witches, demons, ghosts, and vampires. No giant mushrooms, or fairies, or secret pats in the woods..[I use the term accessible, because although you have beautiful castles, the actual play space is INCREDIBLY small and tiny]. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS of an RPG MMO, the game is supposed to be an escape from reality, and I don’t feel that when I play. I feel that this aspect of the game is almost completely gone, and here is a place where Tera, World Of Warcraft, Flyff, and other high ranking RPG MMOs have you beat. DONT get me wrong, I love gw2, I think it’s the best MMO on the interent, but this element is probably the most essential for my gameplay experience and I don’t see that at all in the game. I see the game being a little too realistic for my liking in an mmo. In order to have a great mmo, you have to have new stuff like what you do have (asura land, and the tree places, and the canyons) but you CAN’T ignore the fantasy classic aspects, wizards, magic, darkness, demons, angels, spirits, and such…This has been something that almost everyone I talked to about GW2 is most upset about .When is it going to change?
I seriously suggest you create towns that represent certain elements, like Elf Towns, Christmas Towns, Halloween towns, etc….That are accessible YEAR round. People in guilds need places to go to like that.. Tera has a BEAUTIFULLY crafted haunted house/castle that you can access underground, above ground, ground level…It’s one of the most breathtaking aspects of any game I have ever seen. I truly wish Guild wars could even touch upon what Tera Rising placed into their game. Tera Dominates Gw2 in fantasy, and this to me makes me the most upset. I hope that you guys take the remaining places on the map and add fantasy Or the game will forever be incomplete in my eyes and most of the people I’ve talked to.

Neurotoxic.4521

Third, The following link explains a lot: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-Dark-Environments-in-Guild-Wars-2
This player talks and discusses how the elements of GW2 are just not dark enough, and boy is he truly correct. The game does not have elements of dark/light in it very clearly displayed. I Think it attempts to do that, espeically with Ruins of Orr, but it’s just not right. It’s not dark enough. The game is seriouslylacking in this aspect. Players don’t want a medium element to play in. They want areas that depict angelic brightness, and areas that depict demonic hellzones. Again, Tera has dominated Gw2 in this aspect again. This is really frustrating for me because I am a visual player. You make these beauitful places and they’re AMAZING, but nothing is accessble. Look at Lonar’s pass, you added this beautiful structure on a mountain, but you can barely walk around in the place, and everywhere you can walk around, you have crowded with NPCs…not going to take my guild there now..no point.. -__- This is another big problem.
———————————————————————————————————————————-
Fourth, The last argument is about the dang Gem Store. You have made it so that the MINIMUM purchase amount is 800 gems —> which is $10. That’s great for all the people that have 10 bucks to drop a month on the game, but what about people who only wish to purchase 600 gems, or 400 gems? Come on now..It’s just unresonable. If I was able to purchase 400 gems a week, I would end up giving Gw2 a lot more money, because sometimes it’s that extra $5 that cannot be made into purchase, and gw2 loses money on me. Please fix the above problems. The game is amazing, but I will never get the full appreciation for this game when you, as creators, remove the most classic elements of mmo’s that make them so attractive in the first place. When I purchased the game, I never though these classic elements would be missing. I highly recommend you guys widen your horizons and make the game more enjoyable for the people who are sick of average modern looking structures all over the game. I’d rather be fighting count dracula in a spooky dungeon, than running through queensdale fighting bats -_- it’s just boring and makes the game seem dull. Please fix these things, and consider these options. Also check out how Tera designs their locations. I really feel that GW2 Dominates Tera in gameplay, but lacks design. Thanks all! Happy gwing!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

1. GW1 didn’t have elves. They only had humans for playable characters. The game got along just fine without anything else. GW2 gets along fine with its version of elves (Sylvari). A game doesn’t have to have the exact same stereotypical races in order to be a good game.

2. I’ve never seen GW2 as a medieval fantasy game. That may have been YOUR assumption going into it, but it certainly wasn’t mine. Giant mushrooms and fairies are NOT major parts of RPGs or MMOs to me. Realistic? I’m sorry, but come on. There are Skritt, centaurs, talking frogs (who do all sorts of magic), dragons, minions of dragons, etc. Then there’s the fact that one of the playable races are GROWN FROM A TREE. Another one of the races are cat/cow things. Yet another are tiny potatoes with bat ears who make robots with magic. Then there are elementalists, necromancers, guardians (with their spirit weapons and healing spells), mesmers, etc. Yeah, that’s all way realistic. :p

Maybe I’m the weird one here, but I don’t need my game to look like a Lisa Frank painting in order for me to think it’s a fantasy game.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

No giant mushrooms, or fairies, or secret pats in the woods

I don’t know about everyone else, but I sure could use a few more secret pats in the woods, if you catch my drift.

Neurotoxic.4521

The Sylvari are not really very elf like and they’re not really classic elf anyways.. They’re more like tree people. Google Elves and you’ll see what I am saying. I don’t disagree with you, but I think that classic elves with Sylvari would be more enjoyable because to me Sylvari are more disgraceful to what an Elvan class should look like.
The game has fanatasy like units, yes like you’re saying above, and I understand that — but I think the CLASSIC elements are still missing,. You are right, these aspects are present and are great, but they’re not classic (except for dragons I supposed). But I meant that the gameplay is more realistic. It’s not very mystical or suspensful. You know that as soon as you move to the next area, it’s just another forest with trees. There’s no secret dark paths in the wood or classic fantasy elements. At least the “Darker” Aspects are missing in that aspect --- It’s just less there. I am not saying that the game is horrible, but I am saying that these aspects are enjoyable and are missing here. I don’t mean “lisa Frank” like fantasy, I mean more like what Tera endures. But Tera lacks A LOT compared to Gw2, I am talking more about design than anything else.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I can’t quite work out whether there are spoof elements to your request on elves. In fact I was pretty sure this was a joke thread until I read what you wrote on the gem store, which is actually fairly reasonable.

In the off chance that you are serious, I will point out Elves come in a huge variety of forms – ie the King of Elfland’s Daughter had Elves very different from what D&D had. Which are different again to Tolkiens Elves. Which are different to MArvel’s Elves. Which Elves do you refer to?

Also, Hyperborea, arguably the finest generic fantasy setting penned has no Elves. ANd would not have been enhanced by Elves, in fact Conan would probably have cleaved them all to get to their women and riches anyway. GW’s world is the same – it does not require Elves and would in no way be enhanced by Elves.

Could it use more cool structures? Well…we just need access to the flying castle in Kessex Hills. Then I have no doubt that will fulfill one of your wishes.

ALso, if it had all the classic stuff you want, then it would be D&D the MMO. That already exists.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well I tend to agree with RoseofGilead

GW1 didn’t have elves, I find the sylvari a nice way to implement creatures very close to nature. and just elves, orcs, dwarves, dark elves and so on wouldn’t be creative no would it? Also just naming them wood creatures, We already have ents and they are disdtinctly different IMHO.

if you want a nice house, go and visit Cadeuceus Manor (CM in Queensdale…) it’s big

Also gw2 has no distinct timesetting IMHO , they have subs, tanks, flying craft, but also show the need for transport by marmox/dolyak/cow … They have people relying on pistols and rifles, while having characters using bows/ swords and daggers… or throw fireballs and magic bolts/beams…

For greater strangeness there are actual teleportation portals, interfaces, and robots…(iron forge man?) as well as magically animated creatures, effigies and golems.

If you have more wish for dark and light just reduce the gamma settings.

Regarding the gem store, you could actually get gems by not ever paying RL cash. I had a nice week earned 160 gold with dungeons and some luck…, that should be about 800 gems… so if you have a bit less luck and get only 10 gold a day, you could buy 400 gems a week not ever paying RL money.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Elves? What kind do you want?

If you want the mystical, in touch with nature kind, then you have sylvari. I know you don’t like the look of them, but that’s what they are. They are, quite literally, wood elves.

If you’re more after the ancient race that’s fading away as the world around them moves past, then you want humans. That’s the role they’ve fallen into in GW2. They’re the only one with a monarchy, they’re the ones that came from a distant land, they’re the ones with ruins scattered all over, and a great big castle in the middle of their main city.

Adding elves would be redundant. And stupid. About on par with adding in a barbarian horde of Care Bears invading from the mists, I think.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Neurotoxic.4521

I think the D&D/ Tolkiens / or Tera elves depict the example I am trying to make very well. They do not look like the Sylvari which are just repulsive for my taste. I don’t think adjusting the gamma settings is what I mean when I talk about differences in dark/light elements. I mean the game as a whole. The castle would totally help what I am saying! I don’t have time to make 160 gold a week. I am quite literally talking about spending reall money on the game. I just think I am incredibly unhappy with these designs here.!

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I’m not sure these issues you perceive will ever be rectified in a manner that suits your personal taste. The only point I can possibly agree with is the lack of a solid dark atmosphere as there is in GW1.

Elves, vampires, traditional fairies, etc. are lumped into the category of stuff that isn’t part of the GW lore dating back to GW1, therefore isn’t feasible for GW2 due to lore consistency.

Giant mushrooms already exist in the game which play a good part in navigating through several jumping puzzles, getting to vistas, etc. Giant castles sound pretty fun, and we may see something like that in the future if the development teams are up for it. We may possibly see areas such as these in the form of future dungeons or raids.

If you don’t like purchasing gems with real world currency every month, you can always buy custom quantities of gems with ingame gold or perhaps save the leftover gems for next month. Monthly gem purchases are still relatively cheaper than many larger MMOs out there.

I personally would love to see more maps, but halloween/elf/xmas towns seriously sound like they’d break immersion and are therefore not feasible. Personally I’d like to see development take us to other lands like Elona/Cantha and some other places still to be explored on the GW map.

I suppose the main things to consider are:
-GW1 was not an MMORPG like GW2; it was a CORPG with the majority of the game being instanced. GW2 has taken huge strides away from personal instances in order to bring more of an open world environment, so I think they deserve credit for that.
-GW2 needs to be consistent with the GW1 lore.
-The game isn’t perfect, but making it like another major MMO isn’t going to automatically make it better.

These are my personal opinions on the matter.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

TL;DR of OP:

QQ wah GW2 isn’t a boring as hell generic rpg with lacklustre story and forgettable npc’s

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As this thread is about suggestions rather than things that truly need fixing, I have amended the thread title to use the word “change” because that’s more fitting to the subject matter.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Neurotoxic.4521

Right, well I think that the idea of "feasibility’ is rather what one assumes to be “proper” but not what can ACTUALLY be done. Everyone feels like things must remain a certain way but these changes can in-fact take place wheather or not it dated back to gw1 or never existed at all. It’s really up to the people that make the game, but without the above suggestions, I honestly feel like I & my 34 friends who play might quit. The gameplay is just dull in this manner. It’s the same stuff no matter where you are in game & that gets really old fast. There’s no fantasy, no escape exploration..It’s just the same thing everywhere you go. It’s only fun for some of the time. I don’t know anymore.

Neurotoxic.4521

Also C. Manner is not even open unless you are in an instance, which again makes it stupid & pointless -_-

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Also, the classic style of elves is a result of the D&D popularising generic settings and tropes. Fantasy by its very nature needs to be creative and constantly imagine new ideas in order to grow. Unfortunately it has rarely done that in recent decades, but that doesn’t mean it should stagnate by constantly recycling itself.

Not that GW2 hasn’t already done it in places, but it adversely shouldn’t do it for the sake of it either.

Thank you for at least suggesting something never suggested before though!!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

One thing I have to agree is too much dragons.

We need more antagonist, like Demon lord, skeleton king, lich king, panda king.

If those dont’ fit the GW2, how about Quaggan king. We have to fight this Quaggan king who is terrorizing Krytan. Or how about the Nightmare tree, since GW2 already have it.

Get creative, and I don’t mean Scarlet, which is just a tiny evil sylvari(or is it asura).

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Right, well I think that the idea of "feasibility’ is rather what one assumes to be “proper” but not what can ACTUALLY be done. Everyone feels like things must remain a certain way but these changes can in-fact take place wheather or not it dated back to gw1 or never existed at all. It’s really up to the people that make the game, but without the above suggestions, I honestly feel like I & my 34 friends who play might quit. The gameplay is just dull in this manner. It’s the same stuff no matter where you are in game & that gets really old fast. There’s no fantasy, no escape exploration..It’s just the same thing everywhere you go. It’s only fun for some of the time. I don’t know anymore.

See you then o/ Bye now.

Your idea of fantasy isn’t universal. Just because you want an immeasurably boring and generic “fantasy” experience doesn’t mean everyone does.

GW2 is very unique, the story is fantastic and the world itself is highly immersive. Just because it doesn’t have elves and vampires and werewolves (the most generic, boring and over-used fantasy tropes every, btw) doesn’t make it a non-immersive or interesting game in anything except your own, personal, opinion.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Palador.2170

I’m not sure these issues you perceive will ever be rectified in a manner that suits your personal taste. The only point I can possibly agree with is the lack of a solid dark atmosphere as there is in GW1.

Elves, vampires, traditional fairies, etc. are lumped into the category of stuff that isn’t part of the GW lore dating back to GW1, therefore isn’t feasible for GW2 due to lore consistency.

I personally would love to see more maps, but halloween/elf/xmas towns seriously sound like they’d break immersion and are therefore not feasible. Personally I’d like to see development take us to other lands like Elona/Cantha and some other places still to be explored on the GW map.

While I generally agree, I do want to address two points here.

First, there are apparently vampires somewhere in GW lore, considering the presence of vampire bats and the Rune of Vampirism. That doesn’t mean that they’re anything like the classic vampire, however.

As for an odd town, CoH handled it pretty well by adding in a remote town that had been hit by a lingering magical effect that awoke … things. Mordy’s spheres of influence are plants and minds, right? What if he pulled nightmarish images out of people’s heads, and started to use them? Monsters with pumpkin heads, werewolf-like husks (or norn that he’s driven insane), and more could easily appear in a new area if that’s the plot used.

Posted by: Noah.9654

Noah.9654

I’m like….90% sure this is an elaborate troll post.

Not EVERY MMO or RPG needs elves. Not every RPG needs to be some D&D fantasy world; especially a world with advance technology and many forms of firearms. Not every MMO or RPG needs to be similar.

GW2’s whole marketing strategy is based around being a different kind of MMO. One that isn’t cookie-cutter RPG for die-hard gammers. It seems like you’re looking for a game like Terra or WoW (which, btw, GW2 has beat in latest polls). GW2 isn’t Terra; its Guild Wars 2.

P.S. There is a castle. Stonemist Castle.

“Exceed your limits, and dance.”

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Elves? What kind do you want?

If you want the mystical, in touch with nature kind, then you have sylvari. I know you don’t like the look of them, but that’s what they are. They are, quite literally, wood elves.

If you’re more after the ancient race that’s fading away as the world around them moves past, then you want humans. That’s the role they’ve fallen into in GW2. They’re the only one with a monarchy, they’re the ones that came from a distant land, they’re the ones with ruins scattered all over, and a great big castle in the middle of their main city.

Adding elves would be redundant. And stupid. About on par with adding in a barbarian horde of Care Bears invading from the mists, I think.

Hmmm.. your obviously not up to date with your MMO folklore… every serious fantasy MMO player knows that the Care Bears could never invade Tyria by way of the Mists or any other way simply because they were annihilated by the Unicorns in the Great Rainbow Wars…

Pfft … players these days just don’t follow the news leaks!

OP.. .. I am curious.. if Elves are that important to your (and your 34 friends), why on earth did you ever purchase GW2 without looking into it beforehand and why did you decide to leave the Elves behind from whatever MMO RPG you played them in prior to GW2.
I’m a long time DDO player and imo Sylvari in GW2 do take on the Elf role pretty well and actually have a lot more depth than many of the Elven types I have played in other MMO’s – but it’s all down to personal preference and opinions.
But all that said…. really, you and your 34 friends are gunna leave cos Elrond and his band of pointy eared pew pewer’s didn’t make it into the boxset.. c’mon, this is a joke right!!
If not, then you and your 34 friends might need to get out more.

As for the gem store.. why bother spending out real coin if 400 gems is all your after.. that’s pretty easy to make in game during the week.
Then again if your only looking for 400gems anyway, why not save up your $5 and buy 800 gems the following week, is it really that bigger problem.. nah surely not.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

Genuinely thought OP was a troll.
I do agree that there is a lack of giant castles etc.
I love MMOs where the towns are really fun to explore and they feel epic, like huge bastions of peace. GW2 towns are sort of like “use amenities, loiter, leave” in all of 1% of the map

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Palador.2170

Hmmm.. your obviously not up to date with your MMO folklore… every serious fantasy MMO player knows that the Care Bears could never invade Tyria by way of the Mists or any other way simply because they were annihilated by the Unicorns in the Great Rainbow Wars…

Pfft … players these days just don’t follow the news leaks!

Yeah, I’ve never bought that story that the Unicorns killed them all. Call it headcanon if you want, but I’ve always felt that some of them used their rainbow powers to summon the Bifrost and escape into Asgard. By looking at the legendary weapons of Tyria, you can tell that Zommoros knows of this, and is warning people that the conflict will soon resume on Tyria.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Guild Wars is not the game you want it to be, and that’s okay.
You’re like the guy that wanted catgirls.

That’s fine, but not in GW2.

“Elder Dragons” and the extraneous races already took it too far in my opinion, we don’t need any more lore-exterminating additions.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I think the best Elvis are the 1968 Comeback Special Elvis and those prior to the Comeback Special. While the later, Vegas Elvis are arguably funnier and probably easier to model, the early Elvis are what it is really all about. That’s where it all started. Of course there are the movie Elvis, but they’re all over the place in terms of style and presentation. Cowboy Elvis, race car driver Elvis, even look-alike cousins Elvis — all Elvis, sure, but the Elvis magic is inconsistent at best, and all too often nearly rendered frivolous by the frivolity of the scenarios presented.

Oops, forgot to add that I think there is a place for Elvis in Tyria. So , thank you for bringing it up. Thank you very much.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Adding races that are within the lore of Guild Wars is fine with me. Adding races that do not exist in that lore is just not the right way to go. That would be akin to sitting down to your favorite D&D session and someone in the group wants to roll up a Jedi knight. Adding something new or in the case with elves something borrowed becomes especially problematic if there are books written about the game. In this game as with any game you have to have a set of rules and guidelines which are normally defined by the lore or the game would quickly become a confusing mess.

Theftwind (HoD)

Tachenon.5270

Adding races that do not exist in that lore is just not the right way to go.

You mean like quaggans and skritt and kodan and largos and sylvari? Heck, prior to EotN, who had ever heard of norn or asura? They didn’t exist in Guild Wars lore, either — until suddenly, one day, they did!

It’s not inconceivable that out there somewhere, beyond the horizons we know, there could be other races. Elves. Ponies. Even a race of Elvis impersonators. They may not be lore now, but someday…

Sidebar: I’ll never forget the day, long ago, when my faithful D&D group charged into battle against a strange, insect-like, but vaguely humanoid creature that had come out of a dimensional rift, and their powerful magical weapons began melting when exposed the the thing’s blood…

Glorious, it was. Glorious.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

Agree with you on the gem store thing, but not much on the other stuff. Especially adding elves in. Do you just want Guild Wars 2 to have the same cookie-cutter races that every single other MMO has? I mean, I don’t particularly care for the races that GW2 has right now but adding elves in for no reason other than to have elves would be silly.

It sounds like you really enjoy Tera Online a lot (I understand, I used to play it and I still think it has the best MMO combat ever). This might sound really insensitive, but is there a reason you want GW2 to add elves rather than just playing the elves/dark elves in Tera Online?

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

here is the thing iv bout this game for Sylvari I loved them so much and then boom arena net did kitten it up they made them tree crap i have no idea whic guy had the last word on that but they are the most UGLY race in any MMO i have ever played and boy i’m playing mmo’s more then 15 years .Part of me dyes when i see the old models and how the old art of them is inside the game on some loading screens ,how can some one be so so so not-classy so ugly so out of style and make this tree kitten here from that beauty that was before them what where they thinking MY GOD!!!!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It would seem problem-solving to save the $5.00 you have one week to spend on Gems, add it to another $5.00 you have a subsequent week, and then purchase $10.00 worth of Gems. Waiting a week or two to purchase seems better than never purchasing at all, if purchasing is your goal.

As for Elves, I would rather we didn’t get any more races. Five is more than enough. I’d rather development time was spent on other things, like opening up much of the World Map.

Since your desires (suggestions) are unlikely to come to pass, I wish you and your 34 friends good luck in whatever realm you all end up in.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

It’s already been said, really: this isn’t a generic fantasy setting – this is Tyria. I’ve said it to mounts, I’ve said it to catgirls and I’ll say it to elves (as much as I love them) – you’re not welcome here. Guild Wars has its own lore and its own races, it’s not WoW or a generic fantasy MMO clone.

First, there are apparently vampires somewhere in GW lore, considering the presence of vampire bats and the Rune of Vampirism. That doesn’t mean that they’re anything like the classic vampire, however.

Also, I just had to reply to this. Vampire bats are a type of bat, not vampires. Vampirism would be linked to necromancy, specifically blood magic. That and vampirism just means draining something. I’m afraid that there are no vampires here.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I’m goign to leave my opinions mostly out of this…

I do want to make a point about Point 4. ANet is a US American company, and generally there are laws about “Lowest” Value things like Gem Purchases can be. 5-10 US Dollars is usually the minimum transaction credit card companies and etc will take for various reasons when dealing with online micro transactions. If you don’t like this, don’t purchase directly. If you have access to a place where Gem Cards are sold (most major retailers have gift card sections and I see Gem Cards all over in big box stores and game stores) for your traditional price points.

I don’t know about you but almost every game I’ve played with transactions such as these has set dollar amounts and the lowest is usually around 5-10$.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Palador.2170

Also, I just had to reply to this. Vampire bats are a type of bat, not vampires. Vampirism would be linked to necromancy, specifically blood magic. That and vampirism just means draining something. I’m afraid that there are no vampires here.

No Dracula style vampires. I’m sure they’ve got a few stories of some other kind, though. Maybe a Jack the Ripper type of person that uses necromancy to steal the blood and youth from their targets.

Even on Earth, there’s a wide range of vampire legends beyond the typical Dracula type. It’s a fairly basic idea, especially with the bats there to suggest it to people. It’s almost a given that there’s some kind of story there along those lines. They might be so strange that sparkling would seem tame, but they’d still be vampires.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There are creatures called “Hopping Vampires” from Cantha which utilise vampiric skills. However, they resemble man-sized, bat-like monsters. (And again, Necromancers do have various vampiric traits, which suggests that the concept of vampires exists in Tyria, even if we have not seen any actual “Dracula”-style vampires to date.)

While elves are one of my favourite fantasy races, I don’t think that Tyria NEEDS to have them. Tyria has its own unique fantasy setting, and it doesn’t need to have elves, orcs and the traditional fantasy milieu, anymore than, say, Age of Conan’s Hyperborea needs to have elves and gnomes and goblins (as someone else above me pointed out).

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I like Tyria because the designers were brave enough to invent a world and its lore which is different from the run-of-the-mill fantasy setting (elves, dwarves, humans, orcs). To each his own: you, OP, go play LotRO, I continue to play GW2. I think that a fundamental change like introducing elves would be a grave mistake for this franchise.

I kind of understand your point with buying gems. But you can always buy missing gems with ingame gold. For example if you want a permanent mining pick for 1000 gems, buy 800 with your money and pay 42 gold for the remaining gems.

Posted by: Scrivs.4501

Scrivs.4501

After reading your points I think TESO might be a better game for you.

You do realise that, apart from (maybe) your fourth point, what you’re asking for is never going to happen, right? And for a good reason.

[EU] Desolation
Mesmer – Necromancer – Ranger – Elementalist – Revenant

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I hate elves. I really hate them. I didn’t hate them when I played D&D or played Lotro because they belonged there. But I hate the idea that every fantasy thinks they have to have it. I hate elves for the same reason I’m lukewarm on vampires.

They’ve been done to death.

For that matter I’m not that big on dragons either.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

How do you feel about half-dragon half-elf vampires?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

How do you feel about half-dragon half-elf vampires?

Vampires in any form suck. After all, that’s how they eat. lol

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

The asuran are like elves. There short and have pointy ears. Just dress them up in a fuzzy green suit with a funny hat and boots that have the toe curl.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

This is clearly a troll thread.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Let`s deconstruct the OP:

He wants elves as a playable race, because he thinks of them as an integral part of fantasy in general
I can understand the sentiment, but you have to be aware that elves are not necessary to create an fantasy setting.
In fact there are several classic and modern fantasy settings, which do not use elves at all.

The Idea of elves in general is more an archetype, which has the traditional the high elves in it`s focus.
However there are many different kind of elves created over time, so you would have to be more specific.

Guild Wars 2 wanted to break the mold and while Sylvary can be considered to be elves in terms of appearance and location (wood elves), they are conceptual anti-elves.

Tradditional elves are long living/ancient and often depicted as wise, while Sylvari are very young and looking for wisdom.

So, the problem is just your own and it`s only a part of the whole game, which is quite the opposite of a problem for me, since I like something different once in a while.
If I wanted elves I would play a game with them in it.
You won`t get everything you wanted, more so if it does not make sense.

You might get beings with a similar role in the game, but you won`t get your elves, I am afraid.

Dark places
I have to say, that is a subjective matter.
What do you depict as dark?
The game is pretty dark if you think about it. Battlefields, undead, consumed land, blood splatter,…
I think if you look around you will find a lot of dark stuff.

If you want some classic Gothic style darkness, you will find that as well.

I do not really understand what you want? Is it a lighting problem? You think the game is too colorful, like people were thinking of Diablo 3?

In that regard you might be lacking some imagination, since you can find quite a lot dark places. Places where you wouldn`t want to live.

I mean really. Even a battlefield, full of death and gore is looking quite fine after the battle is over and the sun shines there.
Sure there is some crater and some destruction, but the sun shines, birds will come back.
Its macabre, but that’s how it is.

i myself think that orr is dark, gruesome and beautiful. It is destruction and art.
it just depends on which mindset you are looking at these things.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I am so happy the Guild Wars universe has no elves; and that in GW2 the dwarves are also extinct. It allows for exactly that creativity to flow and stray from the all-too-trodden path of classic fantasy RPGs with elves,dwarves, swords & sorcery…

We had the classic ol’ sword & sorcery back in GW1; now we’re seeing a modernized Tyria that of course has evolved over the past 250 years. Like in Elder Scrolls; the dwarves have disappeared (all but one) and there’s Sylvari of sorts taking the role of the classic elves.

If you really feel these are lacking; WoW is that way, LotRO is that way and so on and so on for all those other franchises.

I really agree on the lack of dark environment and story; it’s begun to take a turn for the better with ending of LS1 and LA’s destruction and now LS2. But the original launch of GW2 was just way too much slapstick to suit my taste… life in Tyria is threatened by 6 Elder Dragons and people are making slap stick jokes left and right everywhere you go – and usually Asura are the worst. Skritt and Quaggans races as nothing good more than fire and forget laughs over their demeanor…

So, hopefully we get more “serious”, darker fantasy environment going forward. There’s nothing wrong with light humour in places far away from the battlefield, like the capital cities as that is always normal – but when your settlement is constantly raided by centaurs, hyleks or Risen, or what not through some dynamic event, you don’t make bad salad jokes or oooooooooo woooooooooo quaggan pooooooooo as if you have no recollection of fighting for your life just recently.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Oh, but there are Elves in the game. Dark elves that live underwater, posess butterfly-like wings, form assasin clans, move in Mysterious Ways, have arabic names and speak with russian accent. We call them Largos. Check them out, you might like them. After all, they are a conglomerate of cliches, so they should be perfect.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

First, Why is this one of the first RPGs that you removed Elves from the race list?

Well they’ve got Sylvari and they’re basically elves… also what?! Are you complaining that GW2 is not unoriginal enough :P That’s kinda funny.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m a big fan of elves (of all kinds, everything from old European folk lore to modern games, the variety is one of the things that interests me). Given the choice I usually play an elf or half-elf. But I can’t say I’ve ever missed them in GW2.

In fact just yesterday I was saying one of the things that got me interested in GW1 was seeing the charr and realising if they’d taken the time to create a new race that (to me) was that original there was a good chance the rest of the game wouldn’t be a generic fantasy mash-up, which made it a lot more interesting to me.

You have made it so that the MINIMUM purchase amount is 800 gems —> which is $10. That’s great for all the people that have 10 bucks to drop a month on the game, but what about people who only wish to purchase 600 gems, or 400 gems? Come on now..It’s just unresonable. If I was able to purchase 400 gems a week, I would end up giving Gw2 a lot more money, because sometimes it’s that extra $5 that cannot be made into purchase, and gw2 loses money on me.

Week 1: Save your $5
Week 2: Combine this weeks money with last weeks, spend $10 on gems.
Week 3: See week 1.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This is a joke right?

drinks coffee

Too early to tell.

WoW is that —→ way. There are your elves. Have fun.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

So you don’t like the game setting. There is different game with different setting. GW2 lore is impressive and apart from other MMO, which is a good thing.

1) I’M so kittening tired of Elves. They are everywhere, not a gram of imagination. Human, Elves, Drawfs, Orc and Troll everywhere. Something is seem that they don’t even try : Night Eleves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Snow Elves… It’s ok to have elves in you story/game, but not all fantasy story/game need to have some.

2) Sylvari, Asura, Charr, Centaur, Devourer, Dredge, Skritt, Elemental, Ettin, Ghost, Grawl, Griffon, Harpy, Hylek, Imp, Joton, Krait, Minotaur, Ogre, Ooze, Skale, Skrelk, Troll, Wind Rider,… I mean you talked about Elves Town, but you discard The Groove and Rata Sum? They have their own identity and they feel so different. One is a tree and the other one is a unique mix of magic and technology. Could the game have more epic fantasy place? Of course. A castle that you can enter, big enough that its a map on its own, that would be super cool. But that all about personal preference at this point.

3) Again, that’s not a issue. The game is more casual and family friendly, or course they won’t gonna do a dark game. There is game that are darker and game that are more colourful.

4) That’s just ridicule. You wanna spend less than 10$ on a credit card?? That your big deal.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Tachenon.5270

I wish people were as tired of zombies as they are of elves. I hate zombies.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This is a joke … right ? Or would you also ask George R.R. Martin to add Elves to
Game of Thrones ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

No giant mushrooms, or fairies, or secret pats in the woods..

It’s quite obvious you don’t know Caledon’s Forest very well my friend… Especially at night time!
And almost all jumping puzzles always starts as a " secret path"! And there are tons of them!

Elfs removed ?!, Not quite, they never existed in the game lore instead!!

But hey…you can always create a Sylvari Ranger with pointy ears and voilá!!:)

I Know…they are more relative to Ents than Elfs!…But at the least you can always use your imagination and see there kinda a “Tyrian Elf”!

Have fun mate!