Half Off For New Players

Half Off For New Players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wick.1280

Wick.1280

Anytime an MMO has a half off sale it’s bad. The die hard players are going “Say, I payed twice as much for this crap?” The people that are thinking of buying must ask themselves “Say, Why are they cutting the price in half, do they need the business?” Either way, it’s a slap in the face of the ones that already paid.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Are you serious? All businesses run sales and specials. I can’t think of any exceptions.

I don’t know anyone realistically who sees a top of the line Sony TV on sale and thinks it’s probably bad because it’s on sale.

Games go on sale because as they get older, the people who were most interested already bought it and the people who haven’t need extra encouragement to get interested. Sales keep the game in the public eye more, in a way it’s almost like advertising. Someone who might not buy the game at full price might take advantage of a sale, thinking they have less to lose.

I remember when Rift sold their game for $5, when I’d purchased it for $50. Half off isn’t so bad.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So they should never ever have sales?
You are aware that every single product ever released does always have sales or price-drops at some point, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: MiloSales.8560

MiloSales.8560

It’s an older game, half off sales are common for older games. Maybe it means we’re getting an expansion soon?

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

no it’s not, games and products have been doing half of sales for a looong time.

It’s there to encourage people to buy who may not otherwise.
It’s also there to create a “need to buy NOW”. feeling.

It’s tough luck if you chose to buy it without waiting for sale. Games ALWAYS go on sale, it’s just a matter of how long you have to wait.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

It’s an older game, half off sales are common for older games. Maybe it means we’re getting an expansion soon?

they already said there won’t be an “expansion” this year.
However LS2 is meant to bring in(in total) an expansions worth of content.

Half Off For New Players

Wick.1280

I just feel like Anet has turned into Walmart, I refuse too shop at Walmart.

Half Off For New Players

lordkrall.7241

And yet here you still are.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

they already said there won’t be an “expansion” this year.
However LS2 is meant to bring in(in total) an expansions worth of content.

Brace yourselves, another expansions worth of content incoming.

Déjà-vu anyone?

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You know, some of us buy our second or third accounts when the game is on sale. I, personally, find it to be a lovely gesture. I’m sorry your face hurts. /shrug

Half Off For New Players

Wick.1280

Oh it’s not a face hurt, it’s just a palm. So new people get half charged for a ding game….

Half Off For New Players

lordkrall.7241

Oh it’s not a face hurt, it’s just a palm. So new people get half charged for a ding game….

New car-buyers gets to pay less for a car than those that bought it as soon as it was possible.
People buying movies on DVD usually pay less than people that watch the movie at the cinema and so on.

How is this something new for you? It happens everywhere to everything.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

First of all, I suggest you try not buying anything that’s ever been put on sale and see how that goes for you.

More to the point, I’ve been playing this game for a long time. I’ve gotten for the extra $25 bucks that I’ve saved, an entire year and ten months of play time. It’s a pretty good deal.

Sometimes, perspective is everything.

Half Off For New Players

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not really sure what you are on about. If one was to purchase the game right now one would be paying full price. Maybe you are late to the party? Just wanted to bring up something no longer valid?

My only advice would be to make sure you only purchase any products when they aren’t ‘on sale’, so as to assure their quality in your own mind. Good luck.

Half Off For New Players

Wick.1280

I meant dying in the last post, and that sums it up. We as players are logging in…. And Anet will make a new, Crappy, Instance that gives some lame cosmetic reward for a few hours of their “new” content? At least try too hold the attention of the new guy. If not he hooks up with the cheerleader.

Half Off For New Players

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Odd….

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

So they should never ever have sales?
You are aware that every single product ever released does always have sales or price-drops at some point, right?

Not to mention there’s the whole, “Do so at your own risk.”

Half Off For New Players

Wick.1280

So we have degraded from the best game ever, too the do at our own risk, Classic

Half Off For New Players

Wick.1280

Hmmm, kinda like now?

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

well older players got hours upon hours of entertainment till now that new guys didn’t get yet from it;) I say gw2 returned it’s purchase price to with hefty extra already:)

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

“do they need the business?” .. ehh yeah! I mean come on which business in the universe doesnt want more business? Its like the whole point get and retain as many customers as possible. That has nothing to do with doing good or bad like you’re indirectly suggesting.

Price is a tricky thing. Price something at $60 and you’ll have X people who like your product but only Y of them are willing to buy it at that price. That means you have X-Y of untapped market. When you do something like 50% discount some of those X-Y people might be willing to pay $30 even though they didnt buy before. Not just that but you have another subset of the market who might not be interested in the game based on what they heard but they may find $30 low enough to just buy it and try it anyway. Some of them might turn out to like the game and get their friends to buy it.

All in all its important to note that the box price is only part of the income Anet make… probably the smaller part. There are also gem sales to consider. The more people Anet can get to join the game the bigger their gems market will be.

There are many good things that come out from sales and very few bad ones. Some people might consider the but I payed twice as much sure but hopefully they’re realize the 1/2 price comes with a price tag as well. People who got it for 1/2 price had to wait 2 whole years before getting to play the game. I for one am very glad to have paid more and enjoyed the game from day 1.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yeah, and the vast majority of people not preferring discounters shows just how bad a business sales are…

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Sephrye.1628

Sephrye.1628

Hmm, I paid about 70 dollars to get gw 2 when it first came out for everyone,
I’m kinda amazed at the price it’s at, now,
but I’m not offended or anything, it was my choice to pay that much so…

I usually don’t buy games early, but I was super excited and tracked it for a long time and just felt like finally I can play the sequel and bought it right away;
sure this game has problems but I do love it, it’s very fun most of the time, and one of the better mmos I’ve played
I may complain about some things, but that’s because I care about it’s future

So, I guess my point is, no, I don’t regret paying that much at all,
because I ‘ve had and still am having, a lot of fun with it.
If half-off sales bring more people into the game then that’s nice, you know?

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I don’t know if you are familiar with GOG, Steam, GMG etc. etc. These websites run sales up to 75-90% off tons of games a few times a year. You should realize that when the newness wears off people won’t be willing to pay as much for games anymore. You’ve basically ‘paid’ to be able to play the game early. Just about all products get price reductions over time. I guess you aren’t very familiar with businesses.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Walmart doesn’t do nearly as many sales as most other stores, hahaha.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Only downside is that the gold sellers where able to buy 2 new accounts with stolen credit info and the forums are going to be filled for a couple of weeks with ‘why don’t your do anything’ spam.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Step 1. Go outside
Step 2. Go to any store.
Step 3. Look at how many other sales are in the world.
Step 4. Quit QQing.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I bought this game at launch and enjoyed myself tremendously.
What do I think about the game being half-off for new players?

I say GO FOR IT! I paid my share happily and if a cheaper price can
entice more new players, why not? More people should be playing it IMO.
I’m not gonna be kittened off at all.

If you are kittened off that new players are getting it half-off, then
maybe you shouldn’t ever buy ANYTHING. ever.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

“Hello, this is Skiplord McVonWhitington III in 3C.”
“That’s right, of the Connecticut McVonWhitingtons.”
“I noticed you had a sign up front for free utilities for a month if you move in?”
“Yes, I know I’ve been here for 2 years, but I was also reviewing the contract, and I don’t see anywhere in here where you are allowed to slap me in the face?”

:|

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

What?

I…I…brb going to cry for humanity.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Anytime an MMO has a half off sale it’s bad. The die hard players are going “Say, I payed twice as much for this crap?” The people that are thinking of buying must ask themselves “Say, Why are they cutting the price in half, do they need the business?” Either way, it’s a slap in the face of the ones that already paid.

So, when Skyrim was on sale for $30.00 on Steam this summer, everyone should assume the game is garbage then right, and that everyone who paid full price prior should be up in arms about it?

Every MMO ever made has had reduced pricing to try and get another surge of sales years after release. Box sales aren’t GW2’s major source of income anyways, it’s in-game purchases. They just need to get people in the door.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

The original post in this thread is the worst thought out thought I’ve ever seen on a gaming forum. Why did this even merit a response? He might as well be asking if magnets work via magic or stating that his toenail clippings taste funny.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Same kitten, different day

“But I paid twice that!”
“That wasn’t offered when I bought the collector’s edition”
“Since I bought the game, I should get that too”

When the hell did we become so kitten stupid that we don’t know wtf a ‘promotion’ is anymore? Come on people, logic and common sense, get some.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

So you refuse to shop anywhere that has sales? Even Harrods has sales. (A UK department store famous for being extremely up-market, expensive and posh. Only shop I’ve ever seen with a dress code for customers. I’d use an American equivalent but I don’t know of one.)

I don’t see the problem. I paid full price to get the Digital Deluxe version on the first day of pre-purchase and I knew when I did it that sooner or later the game would be on sale because that’s just common sense. But I decided I didn’t want to wait, it was well worth the ‘extra’ money I paid to get to play from the beginning.

Unless you’ve never been inside a video game store, or looked at online shops, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that even the best games in the world go on sale sometimes. It doesn’t means it’s a bad game, or that it’s failing, it’s just another marketing tactic.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I’ve never heard of an instance of a customer complaining about a sale.

If there is anyone to complain about a sale, it’s the sellers. They lose out on GP dollars and possible brand deterioration. You see this in the real world with luxury goods like Coach.

Then again, this is GW2 we’re talking about, where everything can be complained about.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

All I’m reading is “I don’t like this game”, just not phrased as nice.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The fix would be easy. Anytime there’s a sale, anyone with an active and playing account can request for half the money they paid back… but they get banned from the game for the amount of time they’ve had the game until the sale began..

It’s only fair, if they want to have the lower price new players get, they should also give back the amount of time they’ve played that new players don’t have..

I’ve never heard of an instance of a customer complaining about a sale.

If there is anyone to complain about a sale, it’s the sellers. They lose out on GP dollars and possible brand deterioration. You see this in the real world with luxury goods like Coach.

Then again, this is GW2 we’re talking about, where everything can be complained about.

TBH I haven’t read of anyone complaining about the actual sale, but when the digital deluxe edition was updated (they added an 18 slot bag, one out of the three original gemstore armor and 10 xp boosters) I did read a lot of people complaining because the ones that got the digital deluxe when it came out several months before didn’t get the new items… which I believe my response also applies to.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

dam. i wish i could find half off when i go car shopping… haha imagine if i missed the half off car sale by a day hahaha

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

Every single game that has ever existed has been on some kind of sale. It’s a good business practice, because people are more willing to buy a game if they see it go cheaper (thats how i got 3 of my friends to play GW2).

I don’t feel ripped off at all by GW2 going on sale, i pre-ordered it 2 years ago and have clocked over 2k hours on it already and also experienced all the events that new players can’t experience so easily.

And as any sensible person would, i expected the game go on many sales further down the line, because its completely normal.

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Would a moderator please close this thread?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Stop feeding the trolls please.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..I refuse too shop at Walmart.

Other stores with higher prices thank you….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

so.. have they announced a 50%-off sale any time soon?

what prompted OP to create this thread today?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

LOL – no it is not. It is a way to get new players. You are being silly thinking that way. More player = more money for A.Net and more new content for us. It is a win, win situation.

You must have really ballistic when SWTOR, TSW, TERA, and ROFT all went F2P from Box plus sub.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I got a 2nd copy of GW2 for half off the Christmas after official release. I bought it during the 24hour Amazon.com Christmas promotion.
Sales happen all the time for various reasons. No matter how I feel about the direction the game takes, I will always believe that more players is better.
And if Anet can persuade a large amount of people to try out the game by slashing prices it only makes it better for the rest of us.
I certainly don’t feel cheated and I pre-paid in April before the release for a digital deluxe version with beta access. I got my money’s worth.
Edit: Forgot to add: That 2nd copy at 1/2 price was a bonus. If only my kids still played.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

LOL – no it is not. It is a way to get new players. You are being silly thinking that way. More player = more money for A.Net and more new content for us. It is a win, win situation.

You must have really ballistic when SWTOR, TSW, TERA, and ROFT all went F2P from Box plus sub.

Technically, TSW went B2P isntead of F2P, you still had to purchase the game..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Normally I hate using Internet memes, but in this situation a variation of one is needed:

Do you even business?!

Sales always happen.
Games go on sale sometimes when they launch, when they are about to release something big, when some anniversary shows up, when Gabe presses the “gimme money” Steam Sales button, when the CEO decides to have chicken for lunch, etc.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

New car-buyers gets to pay less for a car than those that bought it as soon as it was possible.
People buying movies on DVD usually pay less than people that watch the movie at the cinema and so on.

How is this something new for you? It happens everywhere to everything.

Even if you are not buying the DVDs there are way to get discounts for the movie tickets if you aren’t watching it during the first week of release.

Then there are all those games on sale on steam every summer and every Christmas and … I don’t keep track of it close enough to know if they do big sales at other times.

I actually bought one that was on sale that isn’t released yet! Buying it does get you early access so it’s not really all that crazy but it’s still much earlier than months or over a year after release.

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Stores will also do their own sales independently of the publishers. In this case the saving comes out of the stores cut of the profits, so the publishers (and developers etc.) still make just as much.

The store will lose some profit (or even make a loss) on that particular game, but because their prices are temporarily cheaper than their competitors it’s balanced out by more people coming in.

And they’ll often use ‘tricks’ like including some popular games that still sell well at full price in ‘buy one get one free’ and ‘buy one get one half price’ sales. Games which are carefully selected so that it’s extremely unlikely one person will want to buy two of them. Instead they settle for one of the terrible games included in the same deal because it’s the only way the store will ever get rid of them. (I used to work in a video game store and it’s incredible the crap people will buy because they’ve already got one half of a deal.)

Alternatively it can be as simple as putting a popular game (or games) on sale to increase foot traffic and the probability that they’ll buy something else while they’re there.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Half Off For New Players

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

So, when Skyrim was on sale for $30.00 on Steam this summer, everyone should assume the game is garbage then right, and that everyone who paid full price prior should be up in arms about it?

Every MMO ever made has had reduced pricing to try and get another surge of sales years after release. Box sales aren’t GW2’s major source of income anyways, it’s in-game purchases. They just need to get people in the door.

$30.00 ??? Are you from Australia? I got it for 3.6 euro (without expansions)

And to OP .. It’s been 2 years. Ofc a sale happens, doesn’t mean the game is dying. Actually gw2 is doing better than ever. Sold more copies in China than it did on release.

Buying a game for 50% on steam sale just to see it go 90% next day. Now that’s a “slap in the face”