Hall of Monuments Update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

I’m wondering the same thing. I just recently got GW1 because I really wanted the Rytlok sword, but I keep hearing HoM doesn’t work anymore. I’m almost done with Factions and I recruited M.O.X. the golem but now Im sad D;

When will this be fixed? Should I just submit a ticket to customer support once I get to 10pts for my sword skin and armor skins?

What, pay tell, is a “Rytlok sword”? I think you mean that you would like a Fiery Dragon Sword of your own.

It’s pray tell, not pay tell.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do not submit tickets to the CS Team about this issue. There is nothing they can do to award your rewards, and they are overwhelmed at this time, anyway.

I know it is frustrating, but you need only wait until the Devs working on this issue figure out, and implement a fix.

Good luck.

Posted by: xLoLuMaDx.4869

xLoLuMaDx.4869

sigh still nothing…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As someone who knows coding I can imagine that this issue is a major headache to them.

It shouldn’t be. They can simply remove those achievements and unlocks from everyone, and then force a recheck (come to think, they won’t even need a recheck, as the HoM status would get updated on relog). Those people who have them legitimately will get them back, the rest won’t.
It would be harder if they had to worry about people that used their bugged hom unlocks to get skins/etc from HoM vendor, but, luckily, this time they don’t have to (because there was a second bug, that crashed anyone trying to enter HoM at that time).

If you peruse the Account Support sub-forum, you will learn that linking accounts does not always go smoothly.

They don’t even need to unlink/relink them. The achievements would be automatically updated after relog anyway, the same as they do now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As someone who knows coding I can imagine that this issue is a major headache to them.

It shouldn’t be. They can simply remove those achievements and unlocks from everyone, and then force a recheck (come to think, they won’t even need a recheck, as the HoM status would get updated on relog). Those people who have them legitimately will get them back, the rest won’t.
It would be harder if they had to worry about people that used their bugged hom unlocks to get skins/etc from HoM vendor, but, luckily, this time they don’t have to (because there was a second bug, that crashed anyone trying to enter HoM at that time).

If you peruse the Account Support sub-forum, you will learn that linking accounts does not always go smoothly.

They don’t even need to unlink/relink them. The achievements would be automatically updated after relog anyway, the same as they do now.

1. Some people got the skins and even GWAMM, so yes, they do have to worry about it. The HoM didn’t crash for everyone.
  2. If it’s as easy as you suggest, the bug would already be fixed. ANet is getting a lot of grief over this and they would prioritize this over a lot of other stuff, if only to allow the focus to return to HoT hype.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

xLoLuMaDx.4869

well it shouldn’t take over a month to fix the exploit and re activate the HoM

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It might. I don’t think they have a way to remove titles and items from the hero panels. Every time something that requires support to change the hero panel has come up, support says they can’t do it. They might be having to design a way to remove these items without rolling back the accounts to a time before the big.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

xLoLuMaDx.4869

It might. I don’t think they have a way to remove titles and items from the hero panels. Every time something that requires support to change the hero panel has come up, support says they can’t do it. They might be having to design a way to remove these items without rolling back the accounts to a time before the big.

yes but in the mean time of that… they can still fix the exploit and activate the HoM again… worry about the ppl who got free crap later…

Posted by: StoryMode.8256

StoryMode.8256

I just got to 30 (well 31) in HoM for GW1, I appear to be receiving the titles just fine, but now I’d like to collect the skins/pets/minis for all my hard work. I hope it’s fixed soon!

I’ve been slaving away all week for these points~

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

It’s going to be disabled until they can sort out who is actually eligible to get rewards from it and who is not (and how to remove those points/titles that were given to the wrong people). It better be.

You responded to me before on this. I think they should be concentrating on getting it activated. You seem more to be worried about bragging rights and making sure that everyone deserves their title. I think this is a fruitless battle.

Instead, please, just enable this for your devoted customers. If you let a few cheaters stay alive with more titles than they deserve, who cares really, except very insecure people?

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s going to be disabled until they can sort out who is actually eligible to get rewards from it and who is not (and how to remove those points/titles that were given to the wrong people). It better be.

You responded to me before on this. I think they should be concentrating on getting it activated. You seem more to be worried about bragging rights and making sure that everyone deserves their title. I think this is a fruitless battle.

Instead, please, just enable this for your devoted customers. If you let a few cheaters stay alive with more titles than they deserve, who cares really, except very insecure people?

Cheaters? It was people who made a character during a particular time period and the game handed to them the titles and access to the HoM rewards. It’s one thing to be impatient to get your stuff. It’s another to slander innocent people that got something because of a bug.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Cheaters? It was people who made a character during a particular time period and the game handed to them the titles and access to the HoM rewards. It’s one thing to be impatient to get your stuff. It’s another to slander innocent people that got something because of a bug.

To be fair, there were people who took advantage of the bug, which is why they blocked access to the skins. So sure, some got the skins/HoM points by accident, but a lot did it deliberately.

In any case, it’s moot: ANet is going to fix the root cause and roll back the achievement/wardrobe unlocks. The first is probably easy; the second is probably not too bad. However, the testing of both, to make sure nothing goes wrong…that’s what is probably taking so long.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

What happened? I’ve been away from the game a while. It looks like I missed some drama.

xLoLuMaDx.4869

What happened? I’ve been away from the game a while. It looks like I missed some drama.

over a month ago HoM got bugged and people got free stuff with out having gw1 or even any points… so they shutdown the HoM for everyone now no one can get the rewards they have been waiting for

Posted by: Wheatty.1892

Wheatty.1892

over a month ago HoM got bugged and people got free stuff with out having gw1 or even any points… so they shutdown the HoM for everyone now no one can get the rewards they have been waiting for

Back then, whenever trying to zone to the HoM, you would crash to LA anyway. I don’t think anyone got any HoM rewards. Only free stuff they got would be achievement points and GWAMM title.

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

Hi “just a flesh wound”. I am sorry to offend you. I just wanted my Hall of Monuments awards, and was not sensitive enough to those who have partially received them. I hope you will accept my apology.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hi “just a flesh wound”. I am sorry to offend you. I just wanted my Hall of Monuments awards, and was not sensitive enough to those who have partially received them. I hope you will accept my apology.

No problem. I wasn’t personally offended as I’m not one of the people who got access by a bug, and I can see how someone would be anxious to get their rewards. While some people might have taken advantage of the bug to get items, there may be a substantial number who are new players and don’t even know they have the titles.

I suspect it’s taking a long time to fix because ANet doesn’t have a way to remove titles and items from the hero panel once they get in there and is trying to figure out how to do so. This is a tool they need since they should have a way to remove things from the hero panel as needed. It’s a problem that has popped up repeatedly.

I hope the situation is resolved soon, one way or another, so you and the others can get your rewards as quickly as possible.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

But if the damage is limited to titles and you’ve fixed the bug meaning that it won’t happen again, why can’t the HoM be re-opened?

Just a flesh wound.3589

But if the damage is limited to titles and you’ve fixed the bug meaning that it won’t happen again, why can’t the HoM be re-opened?

It’s limited to titles because they closed it down before it spread. If they open it back up, then there can be people who go in and get items they aren’t supposed to. The bug fix only stopped more people from being hit by this bug. It didn’t reverse it for the ones that did get it.

He said: “Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited”

In other words, if they open it up before they figure out how to remove titles and items, the damage will not be limited to titles.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Speaking of GW1 and security, there’s apparently been a mass wave of bans going on in GW1, false positives for RMT trading (http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/anyone-else-just-got-perma-t10536365.html), and I’ve been reporting the same RMT spammer in the same location every day for over a week and he’s still there spamming.

Is GW1 automated to the point of even GM actions where only automatic bans are working, or is there still a few actual you know, people still working there to handle this kind of thing.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Speaking of GW1 and security, there’s apparently been a mass wave of bans going on in GW1, false positives for RMT trading (http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/anyone-else-just-got-perma-t10536365.html), and I’ve been reporting the same RMT spammer in the same location every day for over a week and he’s still there spamming.

I’ve been reporting one that’s always in Eye of the North outpost and this other one that rotates between Lion’s Arch and Shing Jea Monastery every time I pass through those outposts while heading to Zaishen Daily spots for it seems like months now. When that initial ban-wave hit those spammers were actually gone for a week or 2 but then came back.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

if they reopen it now they will also have to work on removing the minis and the skins from HoM.

Posted by: Midway.2319

Midway.2319

Kind of a massive oversight. Wish i could claim my shiny new gear. Oh i hope this is fixed soon.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

As Cleary just said, thankfully the HoM instance didn’t work during this time so people who were affected by the bug and unrightfully got the HoM achievements without having GW1 haven’t got access to the HoM skins.

What do you think would happen if they reopened HoM now before they can fix the bug and remove the achievements from all those who got them?
All those people who shouldn’t, will then be able to go to HoM and potentially get a bunch of HoM skins and suddenly Anet have to fix yet another problem. Mass removal of acquired skins for a bunch of people.

Thus, HoM remains closed until the affected people cannot access HoM; then they will probably reopen HoM.

Thanks for the update btw, Chris, glad to see an official statement that you will be removing the titles + achievements from those players who got them by accident through this bug.
It’s an important achievement for GW1 players and it’d be sad if it wasn’t removed from those who haven’t rightfully earned them.

10/10!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It seems odd to me that the emphasis, according to dev commentary, is on ensuring that a relatively few be prevented from getting access to something to which they are not entitled rather than on providing access to the larger portion of the player base who are entitled, and who may very well have bought GW1 specifically for access to those options.

I think that a notification should be included on the launcher so that people know not to buy GW1 specifically for the HoM rewards at this time.

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

What about the people who started earning their HoM stuff AFTER the bug? Will those people also get a total revert?

Dondarrion.2748

What about the people who started earning their HoM stuff AFTER the bug? Will those people also get a total revert?

Ofc not, because then you have a GW1 account linked and can show for achievements. Those who got the awards before didn’t even have to have a linked GW1 account. Because the GW1 server sent some bad response to GW2’s server on char creation, it didn’t matter.

So the fix should be simple once they manage to get the mass removal of titles + achievement pts sorted.

Dondarrion.2748

I think that a notification should be included on the launcher so that people know not to buy GW1 specifically for the HoM rewards at this time.

Lol… have you played GW1 for HoM rewards? It takes upwards of 1 – 3 months only to get to 30/50. Anet will have fixed HoM in that time, there’s no reason not to get GW1 and earn those achievements for when HoM is finally reenabled in GW2.

And to your other point; so if some bug caused everyone who made a new character to get the “Twice-told Legend” achievement and your favourite legendary that you worked hard to get in their inventory, you’d be ok with it?

Posted by: insanelyapple.2870

insanelyapple.2870

If you could as well later check HoM Calculator page: it seems it doesn’t well work under Gecko engine – only on WebKit and forks

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Chris, from a programmer point of view, wouldn’t be easier to wipe out the HoM rewards from all players instead of tracking down which ones need to be edited? All you would need to do after wiping everyone’s HoM data is to create a script that re-calculate the information.

Something like:

• You wipe out all the hall of monument rewards from all players.
  • When each player connects to gw2, the script connects to the server that stores the GW1 data and checks if that account have something unlocked.

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning to the programmers team, i’m just trying to help.

Edit: I’m stupid, I missed the part where you say: We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Posted by: Vekerur.6250

Vekerur.6250

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them.

Is that means you will remove the achievement points too?

Posted by: Silveress.5197

Silveress.5197

Hate to directly ping you, sorry!

I have been working on my HoM on and off for about 13 months in Gw1, probably overtime for it but I am a fairly casual player there. My goal was to learn more about the lore and eventually get up to 10 points for the FGS.
It was when I went to claim it (FGS) that I found out that it was locked.
Would it be possible to send in a support ticket to unlock it? Or would it open a floodgate that you cannot handle with other people asking the same?
The post I made on Reddit that you probably didn’t see

Thanks anyways!

Posted by: muckshifter.9731

muckshifter.9731

So, the ‘bug’ was fixed, but we have been unable to use the HoM because some people have some ‘stuff’ they shouldn’t have … I’m confused?

So tell me again why we cannot access the HoM?

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

So, the ‘bug’ was fixed, but we have been unable to use the HoM because some people have some ‘stuff’ they shouldn’t have … I’m confused?

So tell me again why we cannot access the HoM?

Because as it has been explained in the thread, if they would open the HoM now, those who have gotten the HoM points for free would also be able to get the rewards (skins, pets) and that would in turn make removing the ill-gotten rewards even more problematic.

Instead of removing some APs and titles and stuff, they would have to track down and remove these skins and pets as well.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Removing AP should be no problem. That has been done recently with removing Black Lion collections for people who shouldn’t have it (due to the PvP bug). Those who dropped below an AP chest threshold didn’t get an extra, as it was already marked as received. They just got it a bit early. The HoM bug will involve a lot more AP, so more people will drop below the next threshold (it’s 350 AP for the 39 HoM points, plus 50 for GWAMM), but extra AP chests shouldn’t happen unless the fix is done differently.

The complexity seems like it’ll be removing titles, as that has never been done before as far as I can remember.

Resetting all linking isn’t really a good solution as many people had issues with linking their accounts, and if done improperly could greatly impact people’s ability to log into GW1.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Lol… have you played GW1 for HoM rewards? It takes upwards of 1 – 3 months only to get to 30/50. Anet will have fixed HoM in that time, there’s no reason not to get GW1 and earn those achievements for when HoM is finally reenabled in GW2.

And to your other point; so if some bug caused everyone who made a new character to get the “Twice told Legend” achievement and your favourite legendary that you worked hard to get in their inventory, you’d be ok with it?

we are already into the time frame you mention for getting 30/50 and its not fixed. Since you are already wrong about the beginning of the fix timing envelope can you provide any evidence to support your claim for the rest of that time period?

I would rather be able to use the rewards I earned/paid for than prevent someone else from using them without earning/paying for them.

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

What exactly has been disabled? I accessed HOM last night and got the updated achievements from GW1 onto my account.

very special guild tag [tX]

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

What exactly has been disabled? I accessed HOM last night and got the updated achievements from GW1 onto my account.

The Skins/pets from 1-30 HoM discounting the titles & ap. If your linked atm you can still get the ap/titles but nothing else.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The Skins/pets from 1-30 HoM discounting the titles & ap. If your linked atm you can still get the ap/titles but nothing else.

Something i at least am grateful for.

As for this, it took two months for anet to fix the rangers pet mechanic, a month and a half to fix challenge motes, and 3 months to fix guild chat. It takes them a long time to fix things.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Thank you for this information and assurance.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Something i at least am grateful for.

As for this, it took two months for anet to fix the rangers pet mechanic, a month and a half to fix challenge motes, and 3 months to fix guild chat. It takes them a long time to fix things.

there are over 3.5 mill accounts, let’s see how fast you work with that amount of work AND having tons of other stuff to do.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

there are over 3.5 mill accounts, let’s see how fast you work with that amount of work AND having tons of other stuff to do.

Calm down there. I was stating a fact of how long it took. I never said they sucked at their jobs. In fact i never even implied that, and if you look at my post history you will see that im one of the ones telling people to wait.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: subarunyon.6092

subarunyon.6092

Chris I thought I’d throw this suggestion out there, although I dont know how feasible it is.

Rather than taking away rewards specific to people who bugged HoM, take the rewards away from everyone, similar to what you did for the WvW tourney tickets. This way everyone will lose all their gw1 skins, titles, minis, and achievements. Revert all armor and weapons skinned with legacy skins to their newbie skins.

When people login next time, they can reclaim their rewards in HoM, and re-set their titles, skins, etc.

I don’t know how to deal with the issue of reclaiming achievement rewards though, maybe you have a system in place that prevents doubling of achievement chest.

my 2c

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Chris, from a programmer point of view, wouldn’t be easier to wipe out the HoM rewards from all players instead of tracking down which ones need to be edited? All you would need to do after wiping everyone’s HoM data is to create a script that re-calculate the information.

Something like:

• You wipe out all the hall of monument rewards from all players.
  • When each player connects to gw2, the script connects to the server that stores the GW1 data and checks if that account have something unlocked.

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning to the programmers team, i’m just trying to help.

Edit: I’m stupid, I missed the part where you say: We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed.

I’m guessing creating the tools to do exactly what you’ve said (or at least something close to it) is step 1.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Chris I thought I’d throw this suggestion out there, although I dont know how feasible it is.

Rather than taking away rewards specific to people who bugged HoM, take the rewards away from everyone, similar to what you did for the WvW tourney tickets. This way everyone will lose all their gw1 skins, titles, minis, and achievements. Revert all armor and weapons skinned with legacy skins to their newbie skins.

When people login next time, they can reclaim their rewards in HoM, and re-set their titles, skins, etc.

I don’t know how to deal with the issue of reclaiming achievement rewards though, maybe you have a system in place that prevents doubling of achievement chest.

my 2c

Are you talking about when old tickets were voided and new ones issued? It’s a bit different to void items in the inventory than it is to do remove titles and rewards from the hero panel, which they already said they don’t have the tools to do and need to make.

He said: We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I made completed GWAMM (god walking amonst mere mortals) Legaly about a week ago. It took a day, but after a day, the achievement was granted to my gw2 account. In the HoM calculator the 4 titles I farmed are not added yet though (9 days later I think). This is for info, for the people asking about it few post above.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

given the anniversary of the game, I went back into Tyria v1 ( the one that included Elona and Cantha…) to check things out… turns out I had enough pet presents to finish off one more achievement point in HOM and farmed sahlahja to get my Balthazar Bracers (something I had originally tried to get before GW2 launched, but fell short of..)

I can equip the title, but not being able to unlock the bracers/pet is pretty sad (also, it’s a shame the title wasn’t “wen no shu”… )

Going back and playing…. the number of times I double tapped in Sahlahja probably means my visits there will be few… (gw2 has ruined me for all other non dodge games)

Posted by: StankySteve.1843

StankySteve.1843

Held off on GW2 until a couple months ago after I reached a fair sum of points in HoM and finished unfortunate guild business in GW1. At 36 points I’ve got up to Ghostly Hero title, but none of the items I was really looking forward to – was quite a bummer.

Understand its some new tech to develop and you guys are busy, but hoping you can find some time for it after HoT drops. Good luck.

Posted by: Noein.1685

Noein.1685

My main worry is them removing the title from those who didn’t earn it, lets hope they get on that.

That which has no life.

(edited by Noein.1685)