Hall of Monuments Update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is no potential date I’m afraid. As you said, it’s an extremely complicated fix, but they will not give out a date, it will just go out live as soon as it is ready.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

They said it would be fixed together with something with lots of fanfare… HoT release or 3rd year anniversary? Maybe both at the same time?

Randulf.7614

I presumed they just meant the much fanfare is its actual fix considering the desire for it and the hard work that went into fixing it

serenke.4806

I hope they won’t be congratulating themselves for sorting out what they should never have broken in the first place.

Randulf.7614

I hope they won’t be congratulating themselves for sorting out what they should never have broken in the first place.

That implies a deliberate break. It was unforeseen, so whilst in an ideal world it shouldn’t have broken, it was clearly unavoidable

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

well 30 days ago there was a red post that said close seriously. So by know im sure it’s really really extra close seriously.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

That implies a deliberate break. It was unforeseen, so whilst in an ideal world it shouldn’t have broken, it was clearly unavoidable

Well, let’s be clear – the bug wasn’t unavoidable. It was absolutely avoidable, and better QA should have caught it before it happened (as I’m sure they’ve caught countless other epic bugs). Indeed with a proper PTR it would probably have been caught (very odd because Anet clearly want one, but don’t have one – begs the question why?). They were also unprepared for the type of fix they’d need to do, by their own admission. But these things happen, it was unforeseen, and that’s okay so long as it gets fixed within a reasonable time period.

What was unavoidable was shutting down HoM whilst they fixed it. That’s irritating but fair.

Of course it is rather dragging on at this point. Suggests it isn’t a priority.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

well 30 days ago there was a red post that said close seriously. So by know im sure it’s really really extra close seriously.

You know we’re talking about PR that uses “when it’s ready” as a determined timeframe, yes?

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Keziah.2653

Keziah.2653

Agreed.

I’d like to have the HoM rewards back up soon, too. But yeah, Miss Lana is absolutely right. “When it’s ready” is the key phrase.

Just would like it to be ready… kinda… now.

;)

Kiz Nyx (Ele) | Kressida Nyx (Guar) | Phaedra Nyx (Mes) | Ylva Nyx (Ran) | Ghanima Nyx (Nec)
[GCI] Calamitous Intent | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well, let’s be clear – the bug wasn’t unavoidable. It was absolutely avoidable, and better QA should have caught it before it happened (as I’m sure they’ve caught countless other epic bugs). Indeed with a proper PTR it would probably have been caught (very odd because Anet clearly want one, but don’t have one – begs the question why?). They were also unprepared for the type of fix they’d need to do, by their own admission. But these things happen, it was unforeseen, and that’s okay so long as it gets fixed within a reasonable time period.

Technically one could of course claim that every single bug is avoidable by that logic. And yet there is not a single advanced piece of software anywhere that is completely bug-free.

I have played multiple games with PTR. There are still rather large issues turning up when updates go live, despite having been on a PTR for months before.

The thing is that this issue turned up “for no reason whatsoever”, seeing as they, as far as we are aware, did no work at all with the system involved. Therefor even with extensive testing it might have slipped by, simply due to not being focused as it should not have happened in the first place.

The bug needed a very specific action to do. An action that most likely would have been bypassed during testing.

That is just the nature of development. You can test things for years upon years but there will ALWAYS be something that is not found until stuff goes live (heck, something CAN’T happen until stuff goes live, due to the impossibility to fully emulate a live server).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Darkly.8926

Darkly.8926

Ive been playing Guild Wars 1 a lot recently and ive managed to get a couple more points, but without any word on how much longer the HoM will be down it feels really bittersweet. So could we maybe get an ETA or something? I understand if you haven’t fixed the bug, just as long as its being worked on.

Posted by: GoldenSnake.5916

GoldenSnake.5916

I’ve spent on GW1 a lot of time, and I need my awards too. We need some information when it’s gonna be fixed.

Posted by: onewordwonder.3219

onewordwonder.3219

-cricket sound-

Posted by: Zenji.6478

Zenji.6478

Is it possible to update achievements with the Hall of Monuments fix? I know Anet wanted to fix WvW achievements. Unfortunately there were limitations such as removing AP already gained among other problems.

Spvp and pve achievements could use some updates as well. I’m sure the community would have a lot of suggestions if its possible to update achievements.

Posted by: Perez.1670

Perez.1670

Want to hear where you are and an eta or something atleast.
been a month since: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Update/page/4#post5109197
and 20 days since: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Kimmes-the-Historian-Disabled-Skin-Unlocks/first#post5134800
We are still waiting for a fix…

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Want to hear where you are and an eta or something atleast.
been a month since: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Update/page/4#post5109197
and 20 days since: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Kimmes-the-Historian-Disabled-Skin-Unlocks/first#post5134800
We are still waiting for a fix…

I was really hoping that the fix would be included in last weeks patch. Maybe they didn’t want to push it out, because they knew they would have enough work fixing bugs with the new traits. But it’s more likely that it is still not done – which is disappointing indeed. That said, I do want it fixed, but I want it to be fixed properly once and for all. So if it really takes that much time, it’s fine with me.

(edited by Ignavia.7420)

Posted by: Aidan.2301

Aidan.2301

Too busy with unbalanced patch right now.

Posted by: Evon Bloodfuser.7238

Evon Bloodfuser.7238

Update on HoM fix?

lordkrall.7241

Update on HoM fix?

When it is ready.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Therodin.2970

But don’t worry guys, they were close seriously like over a month ago. I’m sure the close bar has moved into defcon super ultra soon.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Update on HoM fix?

When it is ready.

The right answer is “When it’s ready™.”

Posted by: Fornax.7928

Fornax.7928

There has just been that massive content patch which dashed my hopes once again for a HoM fix.

Any comments from a kindly GM fairy would be gratefully received.

“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by
entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going
to brush its teeth. So there.”-

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

This is something that the team is still working on, and it has not been back-burnered. We’re sorry for the time that it’s taken to correct this, but as mentioned previously, we want to ensure we do it right so we’re taking the time to research every aspect of the fix.

Can we get the skins added to our wardrobes? Some of us didn’t unlock every piece even though we’re supposed to have access to it.

Posted by: Fornax.7928

Fornax.7928

I asked them to do this in a support ticket, they said no. Well they said lots of nice words which can be condensed into ‘No’

“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by
entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going
to brush its teeth. So there.”-

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

I’m beginning to doubt that this game is for me. I stopped playing GW2 when I created a 2nd Mesmer (had a char of every profession at 80) to experience the leveling process after feature pack 2 and got seriously annoyed by the level gating of stuff that I used to be able to do whenever I pleased, before. I remember the Diving Goggles being the final kick in the butt …

So I went away and played Rift, Trove, … and again got all classes to max level while still following — of course — what was going on in my beloved GW universe.

I found the 10th anniversary of GW1, the upcoming changes in the GW2 leveling system (now live) and the HoT expansion with a new profession on the horizon a good reason to return to the game.
So — at first — I returned to GW1 during the anniversary event and completed a lot of unfinished stuff which of course led to quite a few weapon skin unlocks in the HoM
which I planned to use on my little GW2 Mesmer when continuing the level process
in preparation/expectation of HoT.
But to be honest, this is not the worst. What actually shocked me when I returned was what has become of the player base. Most players just seem to rush to level 80 as fast as possible ignoring other players along their way. I cannot count anymore, how often I have bee fighting a monster at a skill point challenge or a resource node while another player came along, took advantage of the situation did his/her thing and ran off.

That’s probably much worse for the game than the HoM disaster.

Posted by: Lord Vivamus.9701

Lord Vivamus.9701

sitting near the spawn point for the Black Widow, listening to the crickets Patience is a virtue, but even the Pope is tweaked at this point.

Posted by: Noskcaj.5126

Noskcaj.5126

My current Tuesday routine. After returning home from work, boot up the old computer, log on and check the three decent thread I’ve followed for the last 2+ months. See there are no updates to fix HOM. Log into GW2, patch, then get my daily gift and log off. Then I log into NW, Rift, or EQ and if I deem so, I spend my money there instead. I would suggest many of you do the same if your a true supporter of this cause. I have supported ArenaNet and NCSOFT too long to truly support the awful response to this issue. I will once again come back when its fixed. Say what you will, but here’s a better grand idea…. along with fixing this issue, they should provide additional gifts, etc for the rest of the steps up to point cap (post 30) and give some sort of payback for those who earned their HOM statuses and haven’t been able to utilize them after working so diligently in GW1. Rant done…see you when I see you. Hopefully with my Black Widow!!!!

Posted by: Pico.1678

Pico.1678

Honestly since the bug does not affect any actual money, stats, or game play, I think fixing it was a waste of time since the result was nobody getting access to the rewards. I’m very indifferent about players finding a bug that grants skins and titles that don’t boost their abilities or give them free gems. I can only hope players don’t find another way around the fix and have the HoM shut down again. The HoM rewards are only for show, and this cosmetic fix is doing more harm than help. Good luck on the fix as I’m sure it will happen, and I’ll still be around when it’s ready.

Posted by: Rinoa.8915

Rinoa.8915

Still waiting on this as well…..

Rinoa
Elementalist of [MYTH]
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Update/page/4

Last update was May 29, which only said, “We’re close, seriously.”

Something tells me that they were not really serious.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

lordkrall.7241

Or maybe, just maybe an issue turned up soon after that would have broken something else, so they decided to not go ahead with it?

Rather funny this. People always whine about them not testing stuff enough, but when they actually do test stuff, people whine about them not releasing stuff fast enough.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Therodin.2970

Or maybe, just maybe an issue turned up soon after that would have broken something else, so they decided to not go ahead with it?

Rather funny this. People always whine about them not testing stuff enough, but when they actually do test stuff, people whine about them not releasing stuff fast enough.

I think in this case we are whining that they said they were close over a month ago and in the red post’s after that have not addressed the post saying they were close. If a mistake happened that pushed back the release they could just say so. If they had then you wouldn’t even need to postulate about what it could be.

serenke.4806

You know what is actually funny? The fact that this whole HoM mess would have never happened if they would actually test their releases. The titles and goodies were handed out only because a portion of code that gave it to new chars was left in the code when it went live. Why? No testing.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, but if the store had a price tag on bread that sold the bread for 1 cent and you bought 100 loaves, went to check out, paid, got a receipt, and then was told to have a nice day and went home. Do you think you deserve to have the cop show up a few days later and put you in jail for life?

You just thought that was a good f’n deal on bread. Because the store LET you buy it, and the STORE set the price, not you.

I am rather sure that there is a law against that.

Yes, actually there is a law on that. It says that if the store mistakenly puts a wrong price tag on their goods, and someone shows up and wants to buy those goods at that price, pointing at the tag, the shop is obligated to comply. Even if the difference in price is clearly ridiculous and the mistake is obvious.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

lordkrall.7241

You know what is actually funny? The fact that this whole HoM mess would have never happened if they would actually test their releases. The titles and goodies were handed out only because a portion of code that gave it to new chars was left in the code when it went live. Why? No testing.

So they should basically they should test every single line of code every single time they do every single change? That is basically impossible.

The fact that it turned up after almost three years is rather unlikely, thus it would be rather illogical to test that specific part. Bugs happen, usually even with testing. There is literally nothing that can be done about that, unless you want them to never release anything ever, since if they were to test every single line after every single change they would never be done with anything.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

Pretty stupid to argue about whether the world is either completely black or completely white. Of course Anet has QA and they surely run tests before releasing stuff. The question is whether their QA is good enough.

My impression is that ANet is much stronger in the artistic department than they are in the more technical fields like QA. But you should to play to your strength, I guess.

So I hope that HoT is going to be so mind-blowingly good that we all forgive some shortcomings like the HoM not being fixed yet. No pressure … :-)

Posted by: DeNdReTiC.3481

DeNdReTiC.3481

happy I don’t have to wait for my hom rewards, decided not to get HoT and play some of the better mmos out there lol

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I was a tester for a major corporate software project once. I picked up various bugs during testing. Most were fixed within 24 hours and worked fine until the end of testing which was a period of several months.
On go-live day when the software replaced the old system I encountered over 60% of those bugs again, and this time they took several days to fix, and one bug solved during testing in 2 days took 3 months to fix on the live system.
It is very rare for software updates to work entirely as intended even with extensive testing and bug fixes sometimes cause bugs elsewhere.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

happy I don’t have to wait for my hom rewards, decided not to get HoT and play some of the better mmos out there lol

So you are giving up playing MMOs then?

serenke.4806

So they should basically they should test every single line of code every single time they do every single change? That is basically impossible.

The fact that it turned up after almost three years is rather unlikely, thus it would be rather illogical to test that specific part. Bugs happen, usually even with testing. There is literally nothing that can be done about that, unless you want them to never release anything ever, since if they were to test every single line after every single change they would never be done with anything.

No, but obviously they turned this thing ON at some point during coding that patch, so – unless they work in a complete mess – they should have a list of things that they changed since the last build. And immediately it is not even that illogical or impossible to go and check if that flag is still set to ON or not.

You know, similarly to how every other work of this scope is being controlled be it a software or whatever else.

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

So you are giving up playing MMOs then?

GW2 isn’t that great imo.

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

Like this and many other thing I wish they would add stuff or even make it customizable….loved that area in gw1….and then they tease us with that xenulia box…i mean really how hard would It to be to toward those mini u dedicated….have I’ve 6mini in gw1 have less then 15to have all

Posted by: FoXX.4159

FoXX.4159

Do you guys how hard it is to sort out what you need from milions of accounts?

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Its a point system…. you can’t get much simpler then that. The flags are tallied into a total, whole number, which is then checked against a linear progression table. There is NO conditionals in the output that can possibly introduce an error.

This means the error can only occur in the setting or reading of the individual flags. Be it 1 account, or 1 billion, the template they use would be identical.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Its a point system…. you can’t get much simpler then that. The flags are tallied into a total, whole number, which is then checked against a linear progression table. There is NO conditionals in the output that can possibly introduce an error.

This means the error can only occur in the setting or reading of the individual flags. Be it 1 account, or 1 billion, the template they use would be identical.

You clearly haven’t thought through the whole thing. May I refer to a CS101 course, it will help you understand the complexity of software development.

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

Unavoidable? Because testing is so unheard of.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

You clearly haven’t thought through the whole thing. May I refer to a CS101 course, it will help you understand the complexity of software development.

So your saying the process of checking a bunch of true/false statements, adding to an integer if it finds a true, exporting that as a single integer variable, reading that single, and doing a compare against a table with >= functions, is somehow made incredibly more complex by the introduction of repeating the same process, essentially isolated from the first set of flags, against a second account. If thats a huge complexity issue, perhaps some clean up is in order before executing the task on the second data set.

What I’m saying is the process is the same, regardless of number of times its executed, because the number of HOM points on Richard’s account has no bearing on the number of HOM points on Eric’s account.

lordkrall.7241

Unavoidable? Because testing is so unheard of.

So they should test every single line of code in the whole game every single time they make every single change?

That means they will literally never be able to release anything.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

So your saying the process of checking a bunch of true/false statements, adding to an integer if it finds a true, exporting that as a single integer variable, reading that single, and doing a compare against a table with >= functions, is somehow made incredibly more complex by the introduction of repeating the same process, essentially isolated from the first set of flags, against a second account. If thats a huge complexity issue, perhaps some clean up is in order before executing the task on the second data set.

What I’m saying is the process is the same, regardless of number of times its executed, because the number of HOM points on Richard’s account has no bearing on the number of HOM points on Eric’s account.

But that is just the thing. Even if it was that “easy”, something doing that “easy” thing does not currently exist. Thus why it takes time, because they have to actually create it in the first place. And due to what it is actually doing (messing with account-data and such) they need to be 110% sure that nothing will go wrong, which will requite massive amounts of testing.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square