in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Riku.8056

Riku.8056

So anybody know why its still disabled?

Hall of Monuments disabled?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because they have not found a good way to fix it yet.

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

Because Anet said so.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

To give a little context to Chris Cleary’s explanation:

Recently, an update introduced a bug that caused new characters to get a ton of Hall of Monuments rewards regardless of how many HoM points they should actually have from Guild Wars 1. Obviously, people who worked hard in GW1 to earn those rewards were more than a little upset.

Anet shut the problem down fairly quickly, but they have to write some new tools to undo the damage. The Hall of Monuments is disabled to keep the problem from getting worse in the meanwhile.

It’s frustrating, but I can’t argue with it. It is what it is.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~