Halloween

Halloween

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

So with a probable chance of a disappointing Halloween event for Guild Wars 2, I would recommend looking into the Halloween celebrations in the original Guild Wars series. With 7 years of content to back it up, it may more entertaining than the buggy content Guild Wars 2 has been given as of late. I have included the link so people can check out the content that will be available for those who want an alternative to the GW2 celebrations.

Link: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Halloween

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Halloween

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Like SERIOUSLY?! It starts OCT 18TH in GW1 but they have it start the SAME day as HoT in GW2?!

http://www.guildwars.com/en/events/halloween

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I have just one question I think is weighing on the minds of many of my fellow GW2 players…

Why was the decision made to launch the Halloween event on the same day as HoT… especially given GW1 Halloween is launching on the 18th…

Thanks in advance!

Halloween

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

I guess maybe arena net afraid of too many people play HoT on release and many bug and complaint. So they do Halloween at same time to distract from this and have many player do Halloween instead of HoT. It seem like a distraction from HoT to me.

;)

Halloween

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

I guess maybe arena net afraid of too many people play HoT on release and many bug and complaint. So they do Halloween at same time to distract from this and have many player do Halloween instead of HoT. It seem like a distraction from HoT to me.

If that is the case that is a brilliant plan versus being stuck in a loading screen with a wait time or not being able to play the game at all, like other game expansions lol.

Halloween

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I think it is a terrible idea and Logistical nightmare. I imagine new build available messages flooding my chat box already.

Halloween

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Maybe they added new materials to the loot tables for t&t bags or the other halloween reward structures and they didnt want those to be obtainable before HoT launches.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Halloween

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they wanted people to have a chance to get tons of exp on their level 80s while playing the holiday content and have the ability to progress their Tyrian Mastery tracks. If they have the Holliday before the expansion, all those levels you gain on a level 80 in the Labyrinth are worthless.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Halloween

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

That….is a really good point. I’d considered the loot table stuff, possibly other item/mob variables they didn’t/couldn’t separate, but hadn’t considered the wasted exp! :O

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Halloween

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Maybe they wanted people to have a chance to get tons of exp on their level 80s while playing the holiday content and have the ability to progress their Tyrian Mastery tracks. If they have the Holliday before the expansion, all those levels you gain on a level 80 in the Labyrinth are worthless.

Possibly. Though if Labyrinth returns, you can bet peoples’ attention is going to be split between stuff like that and the new areas for HoT.

So I dunno. Doesn’t seem like the most prudent decision ever.

More likely, it’s that they have something HoT-themed they want to release with Halloween, so Halloween has to come either day-of HoT or after, and after would put it way into the end of the month.

Or words to that effect.

Halloween

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Where did they announce Halloween events were going to be added on the 23rd?

Halloween

Qugi.2653

If that is the case that is a brilliant plan versus being stuck in a loading screen with a wait time or not being able to play the game at all, like other game expansions lol.

Yes it make sense. If many thing HoT release is broke arena net can say we have Halloween to play why they fix. Gaile Gray now make 2 thread about Halloween. It seem they want to make player have attention to it instead of HoT. I like arena net and GW2 but I honest believe that they are not real ready for promise HoT release after what I see in beta. So need distraction if HoT release is very bad.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Halloween

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because if they release Halloween on lets say the 20th and there is some massive unforseen issue that makes launching HoT impossible, that would be extremely bad.

Releasing them both together on the same day on the other hand, removes that risk. Sure there might be MORE issues, but people will forget about that a few weeks after they are fixed. A missed launch on the other hand, will never be forgotten.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Halloween

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It will be amusing to have mordrem dropping candy.

Halloween

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It will be amusing to have mordrem dropping candy.

There will be Doors that will open up and Skeletons will come out, right in the middle of the Wyvern boss fight.

(I can’t fight the Mordrem now. That dragon will gave to wait till after the holidays.)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Halloween

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Like SERIOUSLY?! It starts OCT 18TH in GW1 but they have it start the SAME day as HoT in GW2?!

http://www.guildwars.com/en/events/halloween

The one in GW1 is also fully automated and will be exactly the same as it have been the last 5 years or something like that, with basically no human interaction needed at all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Great… my thread specifically asking for a dev reply gets merged and buried into this one?! Seriously? ! I guess I got my reply… why do I even bother coming to these forums…

My thread other than mentioning gw1 halloween had NOTHING to do with this thread and the title was to attract dev attention to a legitimate question#

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Halloween

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I was trotting around Dredgehaunt collecting Hero Points for my one-day Scrapper today (just Orr left to go of the 189 points, then any bonus non-tracked points I care to get, yay … and then I have nine or ten more alts to gather HP on, boo). As I headed past some Jotun to the commune point with a vet ghost Jotun guarding it, a candy corn node popped up against the cliff wall, just for a moment, too fast to screenshot.

I know that post-Halloween we get these ghost corns, as it were, but seeing one in advance is kind of cool.

Halloween

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

this was my exact thoughts on this. TONS of xp gets accumulated in these events… xp that can go towards your basic tyrian masteries… Just relax… HoT will still be there after Halloween is a distant memory….

Halloween

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

. . . As I headed past some Jotun to the commune point with a vet ghost Jotun guarding it, a candy corn node popped up against the cliff wall, just for a moment, too fast to screenshot.

I know that post-Halloween we get these ghost corns, as it were, but seeing one in advance is kind of cool.

I actually have seen those year round for at least 2 years, only on occasion and as you said far too quickly to screenshot. I don’t have any idea why that happens though, would be really curious to hear, but doubt that we ever will.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Halloween

Wanze.8410

so 9 months we are complaining that we got no new content, now we complain that we get too much content at the same time.

Halloween

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Why was the decision made to launch the Halloween event on the same day as HoT… especially given GW1 Halloween is launching on the 18th…

Because that is how they planned it. Sorry if you feel like they should have consulted you first on when to have Heart of Thorns launch or when Halloween should start. By the way they have never had the holiday’s at exactly the same time for both games. They have always been a few days off between the two.

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Because that is how they planned it. Sorry if you feel like they should have consulted you first on when to have Heart of Thorns launch or when Halloween should start. By the way they have never had the holiday’s at exactly the same time for both games. They have always been a few days off between the two.

And I am asking the reasoning behind why they put the most popular gw2 holiday launch day on the same day as the expansion forcing players to choose… miss out on Halloween or fall behind on expansion content…

Btw thank you for the smart tone of your reply on what I feel and many others feel is a very valid question. If you can’t be nice or constructive please take your attitude elsewhere. And yes IIknow different days for Halloween for both games. Why the decision to make the non expansion game the earlier halloween?

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Halloween

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

The same day as the celebration in GW1. I dont understand why you want to force players to choose between Halloween and launch of HoT. I really dont.

Halloween

Qugi.2653

And I am asking the reasoning behind why they put the most popular gw2 holiday launch day on the same day as the expansion forcing players to choose… miss out on Halloween or fall behind on expansion content…

I already say this. To make a distract from what will be probably bug HoT release. HoT release go bad arena net can say here is Halloween event to do as we fix.

I do not say this is bad. In fact I think good. When problem with HoT player can still do Halloween as arena net fix bug with HoT release. Everyone win.

;)

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I.. before my thread got moved to THIS IRRELEVANT topic… specifically asked for dev input as to the reasoning

Halloween

Qugi.2653

I.. before my thread got moved to THIS IRRELEVANT topic… specifically asked for dev input as to the reasoning

You will not very often get a dev response in a thread. This is how arena net work on forum. We can only post in thread and guess why.

;)

Halloween

Wanze.8410

Ah, so threads that ask for dev attention should have priority over others?

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Ah, so threads that ask for dev attention should have priority over others?

If it is a question specifically directed at a dev in the title… then yes… especially if it has not been answered

Halloween

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Where’s the source that says it’s on the 23rd? All that people point out is that it was in the “TwitchCon video” but I don’t recall any specific date ever mentioned. They only confirmed that it would happen this year.

Edit: Nevermind. Just got through watching over half of the videos before I got to the part where he said the same day. I guess I must’ve been away from the computer for that specific part.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Halloween

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Call outs to devs are against forum rules, actually, though this is not squarely on point it does indicate a preference:

“Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words “ArenaNet” or any staff member’s name will not expedite the answer to your query.”

The forum rules don’t explicitly say not to demand dev answers but it has been made quite clear over the years that the devs are less likely to say word one in a thread asking for their comments than to contribute to a more general thread. They simply cannot allow forum posters to deliberately trigger dev commentary, or every single thread will say “devs please respond” and suddenly they have no time to do anything at all except handle forums.

So while it would be nice to hear them explain the reasoning (and I think the people theorizing that it’s in order to prevent “wasted” XP in the Halloween content that could go to masteries), they aren’t going to do so just because you ask, no matter how nicely you do so.

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Call outs to devs are against forum rules, actually, though this is not squarely on point it does indicate a preference:

“Do not engage in staff call-outs. Using the words “ArenaNet” or any staff member’s name will not expedite the answer to your query.”

The forum rules don’t explicitly say not to demand dev answers but it has been made quite clear over the years that the devs are less likely to say word one in a thread asking for their comments than to contribute to a more general thread. They simply cannot allow forum posters to deliberately trigger dev commentary, or every single thread will say “devs please respond” and suddenly they have no time to do anything at all except handle forums.

So while it would be nice to hear them explain the reasoning (and I think the people theorizing that it’s in order to prevent “wasted” XP in the Halloween content that could go to masteries), they aren’t going to do so just because you ask, no matter how nicely you do so.

Yeah… I didn’t demand anything…

Halloween

Wanze.8410

Yeah… I didn’t demand anything…

you demanded an answer from a dev

Halloween

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

Probably because everyone at anet will work a 72 hour shift before HOT launches and its easier to update the servers with both events at once. Yea it could compound the bugs (doubt it, most of halloween is in LA, not new zones, but who knows) but at least people will be around to fix them quickly. Beats having people work overnight both weeks to update twice, so its not thar hard to imagine a reason for it. Im just guessing though, its that or the devs have something against the OP and are delaying it just for him, could be that too.

I wouldnt have minded halloween a week early, but whats 1 more week when we’ve waited this long already.

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Halloween

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

This is demanding a Dev to answer ….
Could it ever have occurred to you that maybe, just MAYBE, that it is story related – Heart of THORNS —- Mad King THORN – and maybe, just MAYBE, it ruin the surprise if they let the cat out of the bag too soon about it?

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Could it ever have occurred to you that maybe, just MAYBE, that it is story related – Heart of THORNS —- Mad King THORN – and maybe, just MAYBE, it ruin the surprise if they let the cat out of the bag too soon about it?

And see here is the problem with moving my thread to this irrelevant one. You don’t have context… I politely asked with respect and was very very soft spoken with it. I said please multiple times. I thanked them for all their hard work. I explained the reasoning why me and many others wanted to know… at NO POINT was I rude or demanding.

Halloween

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

They should just put HoT launch back for a week launching them same day is madness as they will need to hotfix 2x more bug than usually …

Halloween

Qugi.2653

They should just put HoT launch back for a week launching them same day is madness as they will need to hotfix 2x more bug than usually …

Forum would explode with mad if they make HoT release later than they say. This way if HoT release go bad Halloween is good distract from it. Good plan from arena net. But if both HoT and Halloween broke I do not want to read this forum.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Halloween

Wanze.8410

And see here is the problem with moving my thread to this irrelevant one. You don’t have context… I politely asked with respect and was very very soft spoken with it. I said please multiple times. I thanked them for all their hard work. I explained the reasoning why me and many others wanted to know… at NO POINT was I rude or demanding.

Here is your original post, in which you said please not once and in which you only stated a general thanks, you never mentioned their hard work. Your demand was formulated in the topic title, as you demanded a dev answer.
And who elected you for spokesperson for the many other players in the first place?

I have just one question I think is weighing on the minds of many of my fellow GW2 players…

Thanks in advance!

Halloween

Posted by: KittensWithClaws.3097

KittensWithClaws.3097

Why are they screwing with Halloween again? *Sigh.
It’s the season to be scary. Come on Anet why ruin this again like 2 years ago?

Halloween

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

I’d say you were rude to people responding to you with their theories on why its the 23rd.

you also clearly said that no one should reply if they are not a dev.

(also you cant really be soft spoken in text, ’’polite" would of been a more correct term.)

My guess is halloween has to do with Hot story line and therefor cant be sooner. where as Gw1 is just a halloween event.

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Here is your original post, in which you said please not once and in which you only stated a general thanks, you never mentioned their hard work. Your demand was formulated in the topic title, as you demanded a dev answer.
And who elected you for spokesperson for the many other players in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

The please was in the title… and NO WHERE IN THE TITLE did it say “I DEMAND a dev to answer….” so please what were you lying?

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I’d say you were rude to people responding to you with their theories on why its the 23rd.

you also clearly said that no one should reply if they are not a dev.

(also you cant really be soft spoken in text, ’’polite" would of been a more correct term.)

My guess is halloween has to do with Hot story line and therefor cant be sooner. where as Gw1 is just a halloween event.

I wasn’t rude to anyone who commented… scroll up and quote me where I was! The one time I said ANYTHING to anyone’s theory was when someone got an attitude and was being condescending towards me for asking a valid question… Even THEN all I said was if you cannot offer something constructive to the conversation please take your attitude elsewhere.

and I NEVER said no one should reply if they aren’t a dev… all I said was the post was directed towards wanting a dev response. Again quote me…

Halloween

Wanze.8410

Thanks in advance!

The please was in the title… and NO WHERE IN THE TITLE did it say “I DEMAND a dev to answer….” so please what were you lying?

You stated you said please multiple times, was that multiple times in the title?
And where did you mention their hard work again?

And asking someone to do something is a demand, simple as that.

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Ugh just forget it… evidently this forum isn’t the place to bring legitimate questions or concerns… People would rather debate the semantics of the conversation… If you have no issues with it being on HoT launch day cool! Awesome! Good for you! There are however, ALOT of people who ARE concerened with it for a MULTITUDE of reasons, so my original post was only to find out the reasoning as to why and all I am getting is harassed and berated for it… gotta love the community feeling here!

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Thanks in advance!

You stated you said please multiple times, was that multiple times in the title?

and seriously Wanze what is your issue? I get it… it’s not a concern for you… great! It is for alot of others. Why not just say you aren’t concerned with it and walk away? Who nominated you to be forum sheriff and beat down and harass people for trying to ask a LEGITIMATE question?

Halloween

Wanze.8410

Ugh just forget it… evidently this forum isn’t the place to bring legitimate questions or concerns… People would rather debate the semantics of the conversation… If you have no issues with it being on HoT launch day cool! Awesome! Good for you! There are however, ALOT of people who ARE concerened with it for a MULTITUDE of reasons, so my original post was only to find out the reasoning as to why and all I am getting is harassed and berated for it… gotta love the community feeling here!

You can always post legitimate questions and concerns.
But you asked that question in 2 different threads about halloween before opening up your own thread, asking the question again and demanding a dev answer.

Halloween

Wanze.8410

Thanks in advance!

and seriously Wanze what is your issue? I get it… it’s not a concern for you… great! It is for alot of others. Why not just say you aren’t concerned with it and walk away? Who nominated you to be forum sheriff and beat down and harass people for trying to ask a LEGITIMATE question?

I have an issue with you claiming stuff that isnt true, is all. If you have the feeling that i beat down on you or harass you, please report me.

Halloween

Solomon Darkfury.3729

But you asked that question in 2 different threads about halloween before opening up your own thread, asking the question again and demanding a dev answer.

ok so to you… it’s perfectly ok for a legitimate question to get lost in the shuffle of a thread and when someone posts that question, because they are worried it has gone unnoticed, into it’s own thread and asks NICELY for developer clarification on said question then that is DEMANDING a reply… gotcha!

Halloween

Wanze.8410

ok so to you… it’s perfectly ok for a legitimate question to get lost in the shuffle of a thread and when someone posts that question, because they are worried it has gone unnoticed, into it’s own thread and asks NICELY for developer clarification on said question then that is DEMANDING a reply… gotcha!

yes, and its also against forum rules.