Handling of Ascended Weapons was Atrocious

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Oh for heaven sake. I wish they would fix the paging bugs on this forum.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Collect the stuff yourself and it is significantly less than 200G

If you collect 200G worth of stuff yourself and use it, then the opportunity cost of leveling crafting was indeed exactly 200G.

If you collect the stuff while you are doing stuff that is fun, than it cost you nothing. How much you can potentially make by selling the materials are irrelevant, if you are going to use it anyways.

No its still costs you something. It costs those items, they have a value associated with them. That Value is 200g. How do people not understand the concept of Instrumental value. If you obtain a car worth 5 grand and you trade that car for an ice cream cone, the ice cream wasn’t free! It cost you a car valued at 5 grand!

Just because you didn’t sell your goods first and gain the money from those goods to then pay for the Items you want doesn’t make those items free. You just cut out the middle man.

If somehow people still don’t understand this imagine taking your gathered raw materials, now sell them all on the TP. You now have 200g, Now following a guide you buy the most cost effective parts to get to crafting 500. They cost you 200g total. So you aren’t out money but it still cost you a value of 200g to get the levels no matter if you sold your goods first, or used them yourself.

Not to mention you pay to collect those goods. Putting you at negative monetary value of said goods if by your thinking, they are valued at zero.

I look at every item like this. When i acquire, lets say armored scale…Well, I can save it and put it in collectables. Or sell itnow, make 30 silver and spend that 30 silver on something else. Or, make 30 silver on it, and hope for the scale prices to drop to 25, so I can then buy the scale back at 25 silver.

Or, pull it out of my inventory and craft something with it. Doing this essentially cost me 30 silver, since I could have sold it for 30 silver.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

I look at every item like this. When i acquire, lets say armored scale…Well, I can save it and put it in collectables. Or sell itnow, make 30 silver and spend that 30 silver on something else. Or, make 30 silver on it, and hope for the scale prices to drop to 25, so I can then buy the scale back at 25 silver.

Or, pull it out of my inventory and craft something with it. Doing this essentially cost me 30 silver, since I could have sold it for 30 silver.

That is correct.

No matter if you change you raw materials into money to buy goods, or if you make the goods with the raw materials. or if you simply have money and no raw materials and just buy goods.

The goods you bought all cost the same.

Posted by: Fragment.2793

Fragment.2793

name a single game were end game gear is obtainable only through crafting

Lineage2 which is also made by NCSoft
… case closed

Stop moaning, would you rather have no ascended and have a huge gap between exotics and legendary. Shut up and play, they are doing a great job.

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

Before ascended weapons, there was no gap beteeen exotics and legendaries statistically. Now there is.

But my issue isn’t so much with the tier but rather the implementation. There are no “legends” behind legendaries. It’s all about gold.

There’s nothing to transcend to get ascendeds, other than your bank account.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

How ascended were handled….

1) rings/backpack…required some effort in fractals while they were fairly easy to obtain in many copies once you got to a certain level.
But for the first time you started to being forced to play how anet wants
Also Tier 7 materials were introduced….also tier 8 and tier 9 (vial glob shard)

2) necklace…
What about doing what anets wants for 20 days X character?
1st huge hit to build diversity.

3) accessories
Guild events….first clear gated content

Until here the grind was quite huge for a new player but the worst was to come.

4) weapons:
First of all lets make all old currency obsolete and old T7-8-9 materials useless.
Then introduce new one.
Finally add insane gold requirements to insane time gating.
The final blow to build diversity and no grinding policy it suddenly made GW2 on PAR with any korean grinding game.
In the meantime they even suggested and supported TP flippers as if its not already the MAIN BALANCE issue of this game

5) armors….
I hope anet realize that people are fed up with weapons……there is 0 room for armor grinding…..when they will be released people will still be grinding for weapons.

Grinding requires, farming.

Farming requires speedruns and similar stuff that makes content less enjoyable and repetitive, changing any player to a “locust”.
(in the meantime community changes from friendly, to the typical COD-WOW community as you can clearly see even from forum).

I for one stopped trying i reduced my gw2 time by 70% because i have to WORK like a second full time job to get stuff i need to “PLAY” gw2…..

Unless i m lucky, paying real moneys or just tp flipping (thing that support a small part of the playerbase).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

“Play how you want”

“Equal playing field for all”

“No grind”

Ya right… There is only 1 reliable way to obtain ascended weapons… Crafting? Why… name a single game were end game gear is obtainable only through crafting. Not only that but you decided to go ahead and add 100 crafting levels, BUT were too lazy to add 425/475 recipes resulting in forcing people to use 400/450 recipes to level, making it cost so much that the majority of players will never earn that much. How much? The cheapest is just around 200g for ONE profession. Source: http://gw2crafts.net/weaponcraft_400.html

Not a single thing this patch addressed the major problem with crafting… the fact that you cannot in any way shape or form make money from any crafting prof, before it was just a means for rich players to level an alt to 80 in a day, now its just a means to grind for ascended gear.

Why were fractals completed ignored? Now we have 55 AR max but you were too lazy to remove the 50 cap (which was stupid in the first place, i cant even think of a logical answer for putting the 50 cap on fractals). Asceneded weapons could of cost 15-25 relics, giving people who like somewhat challenging PvE content a way to acquire asc weapons.

WvWvW? How about making ascended weapons purchasable via badges?

I mean this game pretty much became P2W/G2W after this patch, you can whine and say its only a 5%/10% increase, but its still goes completely against the GW philosophy to give rich/lucky/gem buyers a sizable advantage over the general population.

And this is coming from someone with 500 wpn smith / 472 soon to be 500 huntsman.

And before you say “B-But it can drop” realize the chance is somewhere around getting struck by lighting, but not only that you want to get struck by the lighting you want (stats). It’s nothing you would rely on.

If all of that is true I’m wondering how not only did I not spend 200g to get my weapon smithing to 500 but I made over 20g doing it.

Posted by: diamondgirl.6315

diamondgirl.6315

I like the system. It needs some tweaking, though. The mats should be trade able, for example.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

If all of that is true I’m wondering how not only did I not spend 200g to get my weapon smithing to 500 but I made over 20g doing it.

You’re either lying or an unusual case.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I barely spent any money reaching 500. =/ Most of my ori and ancient wood came from salvaging items too, from champs, invasions and wvw. I also took my time because I didn’t really care, there wasn’t much reason to rush it. Just play the game normally and the mats pile up. I wouldn’t be against it being available other ways, although I personally am bored of fractals.

Armor on the other hand might be a bit tedious when it comes out. 1-2 weapons is pretty simple but 6-12 armor pieces is a bit disturbing.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

Handling of ascended gear overall is bad. The entire fractal dungeon itself, where agony resistance is ONLY used in the ENTIRE GAME and it only drops ascended rings, no earrings, no armor, no amulets.

..LOL. Anyone care to explain the failed logic behind that one?

Wait, don’t bother… There is no explanation for that logic fart.

Ascended gear itself hurt this game badly. There was no point to it at all. If they wanted to release higher tier gear than exotic then it would have made more sense to make 10-man dungeons with more difficult content. Fractals isn’t any harder than CoF or CoE to be blunt.

Seems to me they tried to give some players that were complaining about the game being too “short” something to do and they didn’t really think it through at all. Now we’re all in this mess.

Also, I barely spent any money crafting from 400 to 500 weaponsmith. I had all the materials myself other than the stuff the vendor sells. That isn’t really an issue though, My issue is if we can craft this stupid ascended gear which barely serves any purpose at all in the game why the HELL can’t we craft our precursor yet ???

Seems like ANET has its priorities completely backwards regarding what the community wants and asks for on a daily basis.

Don’t worry, precursor crafting is on the drawing board, but we’re gonna get ascended armor first which NOBODY asked for, looks like absolute poop, and serves absolutely no purpose at all!

AWESOME!

Thanks anet. Not.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

TooBz.3065

Stop moaning, would you rather have no ascended and have a huge gap between exotics and legendary.

Simply put, yes. A couple of points everyone seem to forget.

1) Before ascended gear legendaries had the same stats as exotics, so there was not a huge cap in stats.

2) Currently people argue that there is not a huge gap between exotics and ascended, therefore, without ascended there would still not be a huge gap between exotics and legendaries, even if legendaries kept the same stats as the current Ascended.

3) Nothing about crafting an ascended item helps you craft a legendary. So, to me, using the huge gap argument to support the introduction of ascended gear is like saying there is a huge gap between a Toyota and a Ferrari so we’ll introduce a Mercedes. If you get a Mercedes, you have in no way shortened the gap to getting a Ferrari, in many ways you’ve made it longer.

fellyn.5083

You’re either lying or an unusual case.

The only money I spent while getting to from 400 to 500 was on npc materials. But besides that I gathered all the materials myself.

TooBz.3065

To figure out a cost of crafting you have to look at the total value of the input to the total value of the output.

For example, crafting an ancient wood plank requires 3 ancient wood logs.

The market gives a value of between 5s86c and 5s85c to an ancient wood log.
The market gives a value of between 16s and 17s 49c to an ancient wood plank.

So it takes at least 17s55c in value (3 ancient wood logs) to craft an ancient wood plank (worth at most 17s 49c). So each time you do it, you lose (at least) 6c in value.

Your actual bank balance is irrelevant to the cost of crafting, because it ignores what it could have been had you gathered and sold versus crafted.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: diamondgirl.6315

diamondgirl.6315

I am excited to craft Ascended armor.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Stop moaning, would you rather have no ascended and have a huge gap between exotics and legendary.

Simply put, yes. A couple of points everyone seem to forget.

1) Before ascended gear legendaries had the same stats as exotics, so there was not a huge cap in stats.

2) Currently people argue that there is not a huge gap between exotics and ascended, therefore, without ascended there would still not be a huge gap between exotics and legendaries, even if legendaries kept the same stats as the current Ascended.

3) Nothing about crafting an ascended item helps you craft a legendary. So, to me, using the huge gap argument to support the introduction of ascended gear is like saying there is a huge gap between a Toyota and a Ferrari so we’ll introduce a Mercedes. If you get a Mercedes, you have in no way shortened the gap to getting a Ferrari, in many ways you’ve made it longer.

truth
and yes there was no gap because Legendaries were just skins.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

“Play how you want”

“Equal playing field for all”

“No grind”

Ya right… There is only 1 reliable way to obtain ascended weapons…

I got an ascended weapon in a fractal.

Why were fractals completed ignored? Now we have 55 AR max but you were too lazy to remove the 50 cap (which was stupid in the first place, i cant even think of a logical answer for putting the 50 cap on fractals).

Think harder. Perhaps because they don’t want people exploiting to beat higher level fractals? That took me all of 5s to think of.

Asceneded weapons could of cost 15-25 relics, giving people who like somewhat challenging PvE content a way to acquire asc weapons.

15-25 relics? Hahahahahahahaha. Maybe 100+ relics.

I mean this game pretty much became P2W/G2W after this patch, you can whine and say its only a 5%/10% increase, but its still goes completely against the GW philosophy to give rich/lucky/gem buyers a sizable advantage over the general population.

The weapon doesn’t make that much difference. The only reason you “need” one is for fractals, but they haven’t even opened 50+ yet.

TooBz.3065

The weapon doesn’t make that much difference. The only reason you “need” one is for fractals, but they haven’t even opened 50+ yet.

We don’t Almost no one plays this game to feel mediocre. Everyone Almost everyone wants BiS gear. If they didn’t there would be no reason to add this stuff.

Edited: edit to avoid stupid pedantic arguments.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Yaki.9563

it would have made more sense to make 10-man dungeons with more difficult content.

It’s hard to respect your opinion when you think that just having more people makes a dungeon/raid harder.

Yaki.9563

We play this game to be mediocre. Everyone wants BiS gear. If they didn’t there would be no reason to add this stuff.

And they can have it. Just not instantly unless they want to fork over a lot of gold.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

(Opinion Alert!!!)

ok, so… it’s expensive… to buy the stuff

Or, on the other hand, it “takes too long” to gather the stuff.

So, if I am to understand you correctly, you want to either have it given to you (because it’s too expensive) or you want it to be readily available to gather (less time.)

Ascended gear isn’t supposed to be “cheap” or “easy to get.” People have been crying for shineys like this from day one. Now that they’re here, their implementation is “Atrocious.”

I guess I just don’t understand. I can’t see putting yourself through all of this headache for something that is only marginally better than exotics and is truly not needed for the current content.

Anyway, if you are truly intent on getting full Ascended gear, go for it, but coming to the forums to complain that they’re “too expensive” vs. “too time consuming” only proves that you are one of the very vocal who wants it all RIGHT NOW for NO EFFORT.

Level 80 Elementalist

TooBz.3065

This is fine until the first dungeon group insists on ascended weapons and the elitists start complaining that if you don’t have zerker ascended you are bad. As if gear = skill.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

it would have made more sense to make 10-man dungeons with more difficult content.

It’s hard to respect your opinion when you think that just having more people makes a dungeon/raid harder.

There’s only so much you can do when the game has no trinity. Making things require more coordination with more people is the only thing they can do to increase difficulty, otherwise its all the same, dodge when you’re supposed to dodge. Rinse and repeat.

Honestly the only way I see them making things more difficult is to release content that is more of the same just longer, or requires more coordination to complete. You can only do so much when there is no trinity (heal/tank).

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I really wish that I had seen this whole fiasco coming. Farmers complained about not enough loot so they introduced farms through the living story that inflated how much gold was in the game. Hamster wheel players screamed for something else to work for. Play how you want to play has turned into zombie grind living story (?) zergity champ train. I have been playing since the beta and was actually enjoying the game until ascended weapons because i could just ignore the content i didn’t like.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

TooBz.3065

How do you release “harder” content when they just released “better” gear without it being seen as a treadmill?

Obviously ascended weapons are going to make “harder” content easier.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

(Opinion Alert!!!)

So, if I am to understand you correctly, you want to either have it given to you (because it’s too expensive) or you want it to be readily available to gather (less time.)

Ascended gear isn’t supposed to be “cheap” or “easy to get.” People have been crying for shineys like this from day one. Now that they’re here, their implementation is “Atrocious.”

I guess I just don’t understand. I can’t see putting yourself through all of this headache for something that is only marginally better than exotics and is truly not needed for the current content.

Anyway, if you are truly intent on getting full Ascended gear, go for it, but coming to the forums to complain that they’re “too expensive” vs. “too time consuming” only proves that you are one of the very vocal who wants it all RIGHT NOW for NO EFFORT.

If you are a strictly PvE player then yes ascended isn’t needed but if you play WvW you have to stay ahead of the power creep. I doubt that people would have such a problem with ascended gear if it had been in the game at launch.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

There’s only so much you can do when the game has no trinity. Making things require more coordination with more people is the only thing they can do to increase difficulty, otherwise its all the same, dodge when you’re supposed to dodge. Rinse and repeat.

Honestly the only way I see them making things more difficult is to release content that is more of the same just longer, or requires more coordination to complete. You can only do so much when there is no trinity (heal/tank).

The Trinity and raiding itself is more a logistical exercise of getting a group together and getting them all on the same page when it comes to fights. There’s nothing inherently difficult about the content other than making sure you dance the right steps. Pretty much like every PvE content out there.

You have no less ability to make interesting fights and fights with a variety of mechanics with no Trinity than you do with the Trinity.

With no rigid role structure such as this, role mechanics can be built into the fight itself instead of needing certain classes. For example;

• Players need to keep the boss in a certain AoE zones in order to be able to damage him. Any class with pulls, knockbacks, immobilizes are useful here. A thief can do this with Scorpion Wire / Basilisk Venom, an Engi can bring a net turret / glue shot ect ect.
  • Boss creates structures that create progressively bigger AoE’s. While 2 players destroy these, the other 3 have to keep the boss busy. Maybe when these AoE’kitten the boss, it stacks Might and Fury, meaning Boon Stripping as well as Damage Mitigation will be useful.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

your opinion is wrong….
Want someone to link you how at 80 people were supposed to have best equipment easily?

Best in slot gear WAS supposed to be EXTREMELY easy to get….
This is the basis on wich people bought the game…

What aboyt from Tomorrow WWW get replaced with a golf game? maybe lot of golf fans would find it nice….yet WWW fans would be rightfully kitten ed off.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

200g? The amount I spent was no where near that number. I just refined ori and ancient wood I gathered, made some sharpening stones and crafted a few exotics. I think I spent less than 25. Also the 200g on the website is due to the inflated prices that will eventually drop. oh from 450 I just refined ascended mats I got from champ loot bags.

Yes 200g. You speculated in wood/ore, as did I thankfully. Regardless its 200g.

WHY?!?? Why does this flawed logic always pop up in MMO’s?

It’s called opportunity cost.

TooBz.3065

200g? The amount I spent was no where near that number. I just refined ori and ancient wood I gathered, made some sharpening stones and crafted a few exotics. I think I spent less than 25. Also the 200g on the website is due to the inflated prices that will eventually drop. oh from 450 I just refined ascended mats I got from champ loot bags.

WHY?!?? Why does this flawed logic always pop up in MMO’s?

It’s called opportunity cost.

It’s not limited to MMOs. People will drive 10 miles out of their way to save $1.40 off their gas bill. It’s ridiculous.

The problem is that people don’t value a) what they have and b) their time.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

It is pretty stupid when you think of the 3 types of game place and the class you choose to play. I mean honestly, think about it regardless if you agree or not. It is simple really:

1. s/t PvP – Ascended gear isn’t a factor
2. PvE – craft, farm, hunt, dungeon crawl, champion runs, etc + constant rolling patches
3. WvW – Third triad of game play != same rolling patch level has PvE nor return on time played in regards to earned rewards or loot

What I’m saying is this. If you play only one aspect of the game, say WvW, then the chances of you obtaining an Ascended weapon are slim to none because you don’t get equal rewards. What percentage of the populace only plays one aspect of the game? Not idea, I don’t have that data. I know I’m one who does but will admit I’m probably the minority. And to those who say stats don’t matter, somewhat true. Again, it is the choice of play style.

Small groups, roaming, solo, non zerg players the stat creep is starting to get noticed. Factor in armor, all slots now, exotic vs. ascended will be felt. Its like the 1 vs. 99 percent argument in a virtual world. Time is money but it shouldn’t factor into the game.

Nuke ascended gear from WvW just like you do in PvP and leave that kitten to the PvE’ers.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

oh from 450 I just refined ascended mats I got from champ loot bags.

No, you didn’t. They stop giving xp once you hit 475.

If you add the worth of stuff you collected, you will still get 175-200 g. Whether you buy the mats, or farm them directly, their worth stays the same.

Rely on Obsidian Refinements (Bloodstone, Dragonite, Empyrean) after level 450. You’re going to need 5 each of the refined versions (500 of the dropped material) before you can make a weapon. You’re also going to need quite a few Deldrimor Steel and Spiritwood, which are once daily crafts and also give you crafting XP toward 500.

Towards 475. It stops giving xp after that.

The weapon doesn’t make that much difference.

On the contrary, the weapon alone already gives 5% dps increase.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

(Opinion Alert!!!)

If you are a strictly PvE player then yes ascended isn’t needed but if you play WvW you have to stay ahead of the power creep. I doubt that people would have such a problem with ascended gear if it had been in the game at launch.

Actually, I agree with you. If Ascended gear had been implemented as is from the very beginning, it would have been more or less accepted and planned for. I also agree that if you are an elite (notice I didn’t say LEET) WvWvW player, then Ascended has it’s place.

I reiterate that it isn’t something that the general population NEEDS to enjoy the game, and that it is top-end gear that shouldn’t be handed out, nor should it be easily obtained.

Yes, I do think that there are parts of the whole Ascended issue that need to be tweaked a bit, but the OP was complaining of the methods not being to his/her liking and that they thought it should be less expensive or easier to get.

I will also reiterate that this is solely my opinion, and I am not speaking for anyone else.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

I like ascended stuff but I don’t feel like crafting thus I don’t care about ascended weapons. Easy isn’kitten

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I have 4 already…. all crafted. And I’ve been slacking TBH. I didn’t win any Lottery with some super lucky RNG drop to pay for them either. And I don’t farm in this game (unless you consider redoing tons of jumping puzzles when bored to be “farming” that I did ANYWAY before Empyreal shards were even introduced).

But there are some problems I’m seeing with them…. some … Spreadsheet imabalances:

• Soft Wood: 20 planks = 80 logs … NO BUENO. Roll it back to 2-3 logs per plank plz.
  • Elder planks: 150 per T7 essence versus only 100 Mithril per metal essence.
  • Dark matter salvage = MASSIVE advantage for Gem Store users. (BL Salv)
  • We can sell SWood/Deld, & even Asc inscription … but CAN’T sell Vision Crystals
  • Everyone Leveling to 500 @ once proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ancient sappling Nodes are poorly distributed.
  • Anets “rebalancing” of World-Bosses is hurting the supply of Crystal Dust
  • All these materials are so uncommon in WvW they might as well not even exist there. ….When common sense would dictate that you’d WANT tons of Nodes and sources of this stuff in every single borderland in WvW. A LOT more of it than anywhere else in the game… So that people will actually have a reason to go there and team up even when they know they’re up against a steamrolling Bandwagon server.

Posted by: shockwave.1764

shockwave.1764

I am actually extremely happy with the way they handled Ascended Weapons.

It’s only 200g if you buy every single mat off the TP.

I just leveled 400-500 huntsman for a total of around 50-60g (probably could’ve done it in around 40g if I wasn’t lazy)

If you have multiple 80s clear all the t6 nodes from CS/FGS/SC/ML you can get 30 ancient logs and 30 ori nodes roughly on each character. I have 3 80s and do this everyday and get about 100 of each everyday. Ectos come easy from rares and doing dungeons/world events and t6 mats I’ll either already have them from normal play or loot bags or buy some off the tp. It’s not even bad.

Getting to 500 is expensive, sure, but the actual crafting of ascended weapons is awesome.

Shóckwávé 80 Elementalist, Shawk 80 Guardian,
Aolbjorn 80 Engineer | Rank 29
Staunch Evon Supporter

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am actually extremely happy with the way they handled Ascended Weapons.

I just leveled 400-500 huntsman for a total of around 50-60g (probably could’ve done it in around 40g if I wasn’t lazy)

If you have multiple 80s clear all the t6 nodes from CS/FGS/SC/ML you can get 30 ancient logs and 30 ori nodes roughly on each character. I have 3 80s and do this everyday and get about 100 of each everyday. Ectos come easy from rares and doing dungeons/world events and t6 mats I’ll either already have them from normal play or loot bags or buy some off the tp. It’s not even bad.

Getting to 500 is expensive, sure, but the actual crafting of ascended weapons is awesome.

I have multiple level 80’s but get this
I don’t use them for gathering nodes and farming

the most gold I have ever had is 30- I actually have less than 10 now- I don’t care particularly because all my characters look the way I want and I can work towards it if they don’t

For RL reasons I find it difficult to commit to instanced content. ie dungeons, and i will never have the co-ordination for JP
If I cared about this at all I would be a bit screwed- no?

So yes the implementation was awful

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Okay….
But you’re still denying that you passed up 200G straight PROFIT.

Even if you yourself didn’t think your time gathering those mats was worth 200g…
…They were still worth 200g. You spent 200g of time on it….

…no wait I’m wrong…

You spent MORE THAN 200g, because the first 100-400 levels in that discipline weren’t free either. And then you also include a stable of alts capable of running around level 80 zones…. those weren’t free either.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I do agree with the general sentiment of this thread. After crafting 2 ascended weapons I think I’ll stop for a while because it really is doable only if your preferred playstyle is farming, and there’s only somany Orr gathering runs I can do before getting bored to death.

I was close to getting my first legendary after 1 year+ of playing (money doesn’t come easy if you play for fun instead of spamming cof p1, champions, pavillion or whatever), but levelling two professions and crafting 2 weapons severely set me back. So much for bridging the gap.

The saddest thing is that although we’ve had many threads about the matter, Arenanet hasn’t posted in any of them. I guess the system is fine for them?

P.s. I’m not gonna even bother addressing people that think ascended crafting is okay because I already wasted my time with people defending the wvw wpx gain back when it was at least half as fast as it is now.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The saddest thing is that although we’ve had many threads about the matter, Arenanet hasn’t posted in any of them. I guess the system is fine for them?

That’s because the dev – community communication has become very important for them lately. That’s why they’ll use up all their time talking about communication, with no time left for any “less important” problems.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

@ everyone saying just farm the mats yourself, how about HOW LONG does it takes I’m pretty sure its over 100 hours of gathering mats… again a massive grind.

I’m backing up my 200g claim with a real source were is yours?

Don’t bother trying to explain this to them Zepidel. You can argue with these muppets until you’re blue in the face, but they’ll never understand opportunity cost.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Here’s what’s funny about Ascended Gear: Builds are heavily influenced by your gear in GW2. (As opposed to GW1… Funny huh?) Crafting an Ascended Weapon (and Coming Soon! Ascended Armor!) commits yourself to one build.

Did I mention Ascended Gear is useless? The stat increase is not useful anywhere, except to defeat content that does not require it. Gear in PvE is only as valuable as it is useful.

Finally, the way they handled Agony Resistence is ridiculous. It was meant to be a form of progression for Fractals of the Mists, but now you can attain more Resistance via Guild Missions and now Ascended Crafting. How does it make any sense that players progress through Fractals of the Mist by not doing Fractals? It is completely dysfunctional progression.

fellyn.5083

This is fine until the first dungeon group insists on ascended weapons and the elitists start complaining that if you don’t have zerker ascended you are bad. As if gear = skill.

Tell them to take a flying leap then.

And those people and elitism existed in the game before ascended stuff was in the game.

Just look at the people who think having lots of AP somehow equates to being skilled at the game when all it really means is that you’ve played a lot.

Ascended gear hasn’t changed anything as far as elitism goes.

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

My only complaint about Ascended Weapon implementation was that they kind of fumbled the time gate stuff.

The fact that the Ingots/Planks/Strings are all available for sale on the TP means that anyone with money could by-pass the time gate completely just by buying the finished products from other players. Something that was supposed to take days suddenly takes just a few seconds on the TP.

At this point, the only thing standing between you and an Ascended Weapon is the Dust/Ore/Fragments. If you were a hardcore elitist with lots of time to focus on the game, you could farm that stuff up in a couple of days.

So the time-gating really just got in the way of the casual players while the rich/hardcore players just bought their way around it or marathon farmed it.

I do hope they do something different when Ascended Armors are implemented.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

All the unnecessary time-gating. Also quite annoying how you have to craft exotics to reach 500 at all, then they make you require a little more of the same material (another orichalcum inscription) just for the ascended inscription.

With dragonite ore only coming from world bosses, which I hardly ever do unless I happen to be around, I never have enough of that, while the other two come from quite a bunch of places.

Meh…I’ve just decided to stop caring. I don’t have a problem with the Ascended tier itself, just how it was done.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Juunro.7082

Juunro.7082

I don’t understand how people have wound up spending such huge amounts of money on getting to 500 in a craft; I personally spent maybe 20-30 gold doing it; I have three ascended weapons and am working on a 4th now, and the most gold coins I have ever had at any given time was approximately 150.

I mean, did you entirely ignore the Scarlett invasions? Do you have any idea how many champion bags came from that one thing? How many tier 6 mats involved? I did roughly one invasion a day for the entire run of the thing and walked out with like… 300 champ bags. I still haven’t managed to burn through all the t6 mats I got from doing this.

Axe Murdering, Longbowing tiny Asura Mohawk’d Warrior

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

I don’t understand how people have wound up spending such huge amounts of money on getting to 500 in a craft; I personally spent maybe 20-30 gold doing it; I have three ascended weapons and am working on a 4th now, and the most gold coins I have ever had at any given time was approximately 150.

The people who say “200 gold” are talking about the value of the materials used, not they’re out of pocket cost.

You may have only spent 20-30 gold, but you also used up a whole lot of materials that also had monetary value. If you add up the gold you spent, plus the value of the other materials you used (but didn’t have to buy) the total is around 200g.

So yeah. 200g, give or take, depending on how big of a hurry you are in.

There are cheaper methods, but they take considerably longer.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Aint nobody got time for that, especially when they have 7 other alts in need of Ascended gear.

asdhvewiuoujt09832yguv89eruhglkn34uo538yfu

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Finally, the way they handled Agony Resistence is ridiculous. It was meant to be a form of progression for Fractals of the Mists, but now you can attain more Resistance via Guild Missions and now Ascended Crafting. How does it make any sense that players progress through Fractals of the Mist by not doing Fractals? It is completely dysfunctional progression.

It WAS initially only available through Fractals.

Players whined and complained that they shouldn’t have to do Fractals to get the gear that only mattered in Fractals. I’m not kidding.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

It WAS initially only available through Fractals.

Players whined and complained that they shouldn’t have to do Fractals to get the gear that only mattered in Fractals. I’m not kidding.

Except it not only has more stats but also way more stat combinations than craftable exotic trinkets?