Handling of Ascended Weapons was Atrocious

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Only a tiny minority actually asked for a new tier of gear, and they were shouted down almost instantly. There were groups asking for things, that’s true (the majority of those people asked for mounts, holy trinity and raids, actually). Funny thing, most of those players have left long ago.

Saying that “we asked for it” is very, very far from truth.

No, just stop that.
I was here in September and October, the majority of this community threatened to quit if they weren’t getting a treadmill.

Gear treadmill was around no.852 on the list of complaints.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

I agree 100% with the OP.

A lot of people I know have been pretty outraged that you have to craft to get one and then the cost of crafting is kittenedly high. Thus has become a cheap Asian P2Win game similar to perfect world.

It is releasing in the east, and they need fully specced Korean grinder for that.

NCSoft spoke. Korean grinder twill be.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: hugemistake.5317

hugemistake.5317

Was looking for a place to post, been inactive 2-3 month, started to play again this week. I rarely post, but this time I’d like to send ArenaNet a wake-up call.

First of all let me say this. So far I found GW2 was great because to get a character in full exotics took some effort, but was after all accessible. This means new players can pretty fast be on par stat-wise, and it is rather player decisions, skills, tactics, etc, that will decide the outcome of a battle.. And this is(was) also great because you can(could) max all your alts, and try various classes, playstyles, have different set of gear, etc.

I like to be on par with my opponents. The 5-10% introduced by Ascended Weapons is huge. And we can only expect the Ascended armor to be something similar. I play almost only WvW, I hate PvE mostly, I hate the grind-fest, I could care less for crafting. When I logged in couple days ago and my friends told me this, I was disgusted.

I will never have a Legendary, but “that’s fine”. Some of the skins are pretty cool, but I just don’t want to spend my time in the PvE/harvesting grind required. I wouldn’t mind if they made some epic looking stuff unlocked as I play more in WvW, but my hopes for that are long gone.

I have spent almost all the gold (probably something like ~500g) I made since november 2012 in upgrades/siege in WvW to contribute in my server’s war effort. Considering WvW doesn’t pay much (it used to be horrible, now it is ‘decent’), I am always broke, but I don’t mind.

So honestly, I find the decision to make ‘Ascended Weapons’ only available through crafting to be (yet again) ignoring the WvW folks. We don’t care if it will be patched in 3 months. It should have been part of the ‘Ascended Weapons’ introduction. Why does WvW always have to be ignored in the initial introduction of new stuff?

Couple ideas
- Make Ascended Weapons cost 5k badges, or 250 skill points
- Make Legendaries cost 25k badges, or 1000 skill points.
- Make some achievements in WvW (equivalent of … 1000h+++ time invested???) unlock some cool stuff (Ascended, Legendaries, PvE equivalent skins, etc)
- etc

So that way, people that have been very active in WvW for a long time would not be forgotten in some dark corner. After a long and successful WvW career, these PvPers could get some cool stuff too, without having to do stuff they dislike (PvE, exploration, crafting).

For once, find something that makes sense for WvW centric players, that are not crying to be “special snowflakes”, but just want to be On Par with their opponents stat-wise.

Why couldn’t we get the Top-Gear, Stat-wise (and why not Skin-wise?), by playing the ONE thing we like in this game : WvW.

Make it happen.
Thank you.

EDIT: And the numbers I put in suggestion is just to “go-with-the-flow” of what you are introducing, i.e. ‘something Very Hard To Get’. I don’t think it’s a good idea (see my initial thoughts on gear-accessibility and ALTS), but hey, very-hard-to-get is still better than “simply unavailable through WvW”.

As an avid WvW i 100% sympathies with this post. I just don’t get it at all. Why would they not reward a portion of their player base who don’t PvE ? How come a game that was advertised on no grind-play it your way blablabla has become such a mindblowing grindfest ? I wouldn ‘t mind ignoring ascended gears if i was PvE only but i’m on WvW 90% of the time and this will make a difference…

Please arena net stop making grindy stuff and make fun stuff instead. It’s a game not a job. Stop rewarding people with no talent/no life whose ambition is to train farm the same easy mobs, easy dungeons just to make some gold quickly.

So i agree with Shiver and like he said “make it happen”.

Thanks.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

i just got an ascended chest drop for the first time today…
i have a zerker warrior, zerk guard, zerk mez, zerk ranger, zerk thief, and am making another zerk warrior.

i would have been really happy if i could have got rabid stats or something so i could have a cond war in wvw or something…..

instead i got rampagers…close but no cigar

come on anet you have to be more creative than crafting or randomest drop ever.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

In gw1 you had a series of quests to get you ascended, when ascended/ascension meant something. Now these weapons and armour make no sense at all.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The weapon doesn’t make that much difference. The only reason you “need” one is for fractals, but they haven’t even opened 50+ yet.

We don’t Almost no one plays this game to feel mediocre. Everyone Almost everyone wants BiS gear. If they didn’t there would be no reason to add this stuff.

Edited: edit to avoid stupid pedantic arguments.

Stupid pedantic argument incoming. lol

I don’t disagree that no one plays this game to feel mediocre. I do disagree that most people feel mediocre if they don’t have an ascended weapon.

I don’t even think BIS gear is on most people’s radar. Most people are still trying to figure out how to dodge. lol

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The way btween 400 and 500 crafting level is what I really find atrocious.

You cannot craft ascended components until you’re at 450.
The first 25 points are OK since you can get them just refining t6 materials, but it’s preety much exo crafting from 425 to 450, exos that suddenly flood the market and are not BiS items anymore.
If a future extension of crafting disciplines was expected, then the cap should had been set at 450 long time ago. This way people could had it leveled just by regular use of professions. .
Right now, it doesn’t matter how much you used your crafting disciplines, be it for self gearing or marketing, over the last year; you need to start from scratch and you’re forced to sell whatever you get under production costs or just recycle it for a chance on dark matter.
If the cap was expected to remain at 400 forever and was extended only because a late development decision, then ascended componet crafting should have started just at 400.

When you reach 450, you can finally craft ascended components. You should had been able to do that long before but at least you’re free now from that stupid exo crafting … until you realize that those componets can’t level you past 475.
At this point you (probably) have enough material for an ascened weapon in your bank, but neither you can craft it nor you can keep leveling your profession through components. You’re forced to exotics, again, and a nice bunch of them to be honest.
It’s unnatural. It’s just a cheap resource sink, a development choice that’s related to some kind of game wide macroeconomical reasons but which doesn’t make any sense at all for an individual player.

With few words, ascended component crafting should have started from whatever the previous crafting cap was, and it should have been enough to level the profession up to ascended weapon crafting. What we have now is a bad joke.

The last nail in the coffin is that you can’t even sell the weapons. You can sell some components, but since having the profession leveled to 500 is an absolute must in order to get the weapons themselves, the market is limited to some anxious buyers that want the time gating gone.
It also forces every player who want an ascended weapon to level a profession to 500, increasing even more the number of exotics that flood the market. It makes every low tier material to skyrocket in price too, since they’re used for both ascended componenets and profession leveling (This allows newcomers to make some money from gathering at least, probably the only one positive thing I can find on this disaster).
I don’t want even think on what’s gonna happen with ascended armor if it’s delivered on a similar way. I mean, there are neither cloth nor leather nodes, they’re get mainly from recycle and loot is usually delivered at character level (usually 80). It’s gonna be “fun” to see tons of players farming with alts and/or zerging low level events looking for recyclable rags.

There’s a lot of complaints about time gating too. While I’m not a big fan of time gated content, I don’t see it as awful as many other things.
From the perspective of profession leveling you can speed it up through exos (more resource sink) and from a market perspective, it’s currently the only thing that allows some kind of market to even exist :S

A lot of complaints too from WvW players. I supported them when ascended rings appeared, since they forced them to invest too many hours on PvE content.
I have to disagree this time; every single material needed for ascendeds can be obtained in WvW.
I completely understand that node mining is not exactly the task a WvW player loves to do, but neither do I as a PvE player. As a dungeon/sPvP player, I’m absolutely forced to activities I dislike in order to get ascendeds.

Finally I don’t want to invest too much time writing about ascended weapons as regular drops, neither about their extreme rarity nor about their random stats.
I just want to point that it could had been cool to improve some loot, like fractal weapons for example, to ascended, but for some reason developers thought that BiS gear fit extremelly well with the challenging nature of champ training (which is stupidly profitable even without this).

(edited by Vargamonth.2047)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The weapon doesn’t make that much difference. The only reason you “need” one is for fractals, but they haven’t even opened 50+ yet.

We don’t Almost no one plays this game to feel mediocre. Everyone Almost everyone wants BiS gear. If they didn’t there would be no reason to add this stuff.

I don’t disagree that no one plays this game to feel mediocre. I do disagree that most people feel mediocre if they don’t have an ascended weapon.

I don’t even think BIS gear is on most people’s radar. Most people are still trying to figure out how to dodge. lol

Ha. Just the person I edited to avoid (bait??? Sometimes I don’t know my own motivations). However, in this case, I don’t think that was either stupid or pedantic. Stupid and pedantic is “I like being mediocre, you don’t speak for all of us.”

You’re point, in contrast, is rather thought provoking. It’s possible that ascended gear is really only a problem for those of us who walk the line between casual and hardcore. Casual in time available but hardcore in drive. (As far as I can tell you are the opposite, hardcore in time casual in drive) Combine that with being an altoholic and you have even a smaller subset of people. most people would just play one character and stick with it.

Nevertheless I will continue to advocate for my particular brand of idiocy.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I agree 100% with the OP.

A lot of people I know have been pretty outraged that you have to craft to get one and then the cost of crafting is kittenedly high. Thus has become a cheap Asian P2Win game similar to perfect world.

Agree 100%. Ascended are pay to win and they ruin the PvP element of the game.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I don’t want even think on what’s gonna happen with ascended armor if it’s delivered on a similar way. I mean, there are neither cloth nor leather nodes, they’re get mainly from recycle and loot is usually delivered at character level (usually 80). It’s gonna be “fun” to see tons of players farming with alts and/or zerging low level events looking for recyclable rags.

Good point I hope anet are considering this because I have 8 level 80s and have no intention of buying another slot just for that.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: FrozenKnight.9731

FrozenKnight.9731

I have to agree, i hate the way they handled this. It’s so bad it’s not even funny. In any PvP 5% is the huge gap between being able to win and loose a fight, especially in WvW, where there are are so many power meta builds out there.

On top of that this ruined the crafting system. Forget that it costs roughly 200g just to get up there, i could easily forgive that, maybe even the profitless nature of crafting in the game. But they built this system to be like this, so it’s even more of a slap in the face when you work so hard to get to 500 only to find that the items you make are account bound. Really, some of us had to rely on friends help to get up there, and when we hit that point we cant even pay them back by shearing the fruits of our labor. At least we can sell legendary weapons, with Ascended weapons, it’s like oh all that work you went through, guess what only you can use it. This doesn’t even count the cost of the weapons, it’s just getting there.
Even in real life weapon smiths rarely just make weapons for themselves, this element destroys the cooperative nature of the game, points to GW2 beginning cave into pay to win, and left me and my guildies with a sour feeling in our stomach. I mean aren’t the components expensive enough?
If you make the armor the same, holy ****, you might just see a large population leave the game. I’m actually considering leaving the game until you fix this. Just to be clear, I want a game where skill, strategy, and creativeness dictate success, not one where those who have unlimited time, and money can easily overwhelm everyone else. That time/money used to just allow you to look better, which I didn’t mind at all. That is what GW is/was, and what I would hope it would stay as, it was fun that way.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

While I agree that Ascended gear goes against everything GW stands for (cosmetic grind ONLY), I’d like to inform you that I leveled up my crafting disciplines with way less than 200g per craft (and no, I didn’t ‘gather the materials myself’, anyone who uses this argument has no grasp on basic economics).

That guide you linked is really bad and tells you to craft the most expensive recipes. What I did was:
From 400-425 refine Ori/Wood (You can sell this back to TP at essentially no loss)
425-450, the hard part. Discover all sigils/runes/potions that you can, do the more expensive recipes last.
450-475, refine ascended materials that you need for ascended weapons
475-490, Discover all the recipes that you haven’t yet, blues, masterwork, rares, everything. Every level 1-400 recipe there is, discovery gives exp for everyting. This will get you to around 490 or more.
490-500, Discover 3-4 exotics.

By this formula I spend around 20g per craft, and that’s mostly cause of the exotics I needed for the last 10 levels.

That being said, it still costs 50g per weapon to craft. I have 8 alts. I’m not even gonna do the math to get every single weapon ascended for every character, but it’s a lot. More than I’m willing to farm.

Bottom line is, I agree. Ascended shouldn’t have become part of the game. Ascended should’ve been awesome looking weapons that cost the same as they do now, but with no actual stat increase. I feel like they had to introduce ‘something’ for us to spend our gold on though, or inflation would become a huge problem.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Ha. Just the person I edited to avoid (bait??? Sometimes I don’t know my own motivations). However, in this case, I don’t think that was either stupid or pedantic. Stupid and pedantic is “I like being mediocre, you don’t speak for all of us.”

You’re point, in contrast, is rather thought provoking. It’s possible that ascended gear is really only a problem for those of us who walk the line between casual and hardcore. Casual in time available but hardcore in drive. (As far as I can tell you are the opposite, hardcore in time casual in drive) Combine that with being an altoholic and you have even a smaller subset of people. most people would just play one character and stick with it.

See, the problem is that by the same argument, no one plays this game to look bland. almost everyone wants expensive skins.

So, does that mean we should all get free Legendaries?

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

The whole ascended tier introduction was a total fiasco. Ascended handling has been atrocious since November 2012.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

See, the problem is that by the same argument, no one plays this game to look bland. almost everyone wants expensive skins.

almost everyone wants good-looking skins. Legendaries for the most part are ugly, and if the only reason to acquire them was in their looks, i wouldn’t even consider getting one.

Unfortunately, their stat-switching offers a significant advantage.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Xae Isareth.1364

almost everyone wants good-looking skins. Legendaries for the most part are ugly, and if the only reason to acquire them was in their looks, i wouldn’t even consider getting one.

That’s up to each perspn’s taste. I find all the spirit weapons ugly because they don’t match with any armour at all, but the price clearly educate otherwise.

Fine, replace Legendaries with ‘some really expensive skin’ then, but that’s not the point if the argument.

Astralporing.1957

That’s up to each perspn’s taste. I find all the spirit weapons ugly because they don’t match with any armour at all, but the price clearly educate otherwise.

Fine, replace Legendaries with ‘some really expensive skin’ then, but that’s not the point if the argument.

It is, because some of the really good skins are not expensive at all. Some aren’t even level 80.

Actions, not words.

Xae Isareth.1364

^ you’re kinda missing the point of the argument.

TooBz.3065

I said this a couple of weeks ago, but what the kitten, if people what to re-open an argument I will.

To me, stats are fundamentally different than skins. This is for a couple of reasons (probably all related, but I see them as a little different)

a. Skins aren’t functional, stats are.,
b. You can have a skin that’s “good enough”, for many people the only good enough gear is “BIS”.
c. Skins aren’t time gated. If you gots the money you can buys the skin. However, if you want an ascended amulet you need to grind at least 20 laurels. Yes, I know dungeon tokens are time gated, but the gating isn’t that long.
d. Good looking skins are subjective, numerical stats are objective.
e. No one will kick you from a dungeon run for having ugly armor.

That’s probably enough for now. I realize that I’m overlapping and repeating myself.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Ignoring the off-topic kittenfest. I agree with the OP, having ascended weapons as craftable only is a horrible thing for me at least.

I HATE crafting in mmos, and gw is no different. I think it’s mind-numbingly tedious and I never do it. I’ve always been a sell everything on the AH/TP and outright buy what I need kinda guy. I’d have happily spent 200g on buying an ascended weapon another player had crafted rather than levelling it up myself.

Let the dedicated crafters profit from their ability and let those who hate crafting like me pay a premium gold cost and buy the gear from the crafters. I’m happy because I don’t have to craft, they’re happy because they can actually make a decent profit on crafting the weapons.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I remember an Anet interview where the interviewer referred to the “debacle” of Ascended gear. That’s never a good indicator of success.

While I’m not one who believes it was purely a problem of implementation (it’s rather a problem of direction in game scaling), the implementation has been a problem from the inception with Ascended only found in one dungeon. Now we have crafting extended to 500 without even a thin veneer of this being anything to do with crafting. It’s how you obtain an Ascended weapon; you can’t even sell the main items you’ve extended your crafting to craft. It just makes no sense on the face of it. They really haven’t been able to get ahead of the debacle and frankly I don’t see any reason for hope around this topic in the future.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Xae Isareth.1364

I said this a couple of weeks ago, but what the kitten, if people what to re-open an argument I will.

To me, stats are fundamentally different than skins. This is for a couple of reasons (probably all related, but I see them as a little different)

b. You can have a skin that’s “good enough”, for many people the only good enough gear is “BIS”.
c. Skins aren’t time gated. If you gots the money you can buys the skin. However, if you want an ascended amulet you need to grind at least 20 laurels. Yes, I know dungeon tokens are time gated, but the gating isn’t that long.

That’s probably enough for now. I realize that I’m overlapping and repeating myself.

a. Functionality of a stat only matters when it makes a materialistic and noticeable difference. In other games having higher tiers of gear allowed me to stomp players in PvP and destroy mobs like paper in PvE, I feel vastly more powerful. In Gw2 having Ascebded gear gives me no actual noticeable difference in in power.

then tell me, why isn’t exotics ‘good enough’? You can do everything just five with it, and see above comment. If you’re talking about personal satisfaction, I’m not satisfied until I get every Legendary in the game and enough gold for me to buy the entire TP. Greed is part if human nature, there is no satisfaction.

c. They aren’t time gated but often the ‘best’ skins are a lot harder to get than Ascended stuff. Would you want to switch the process of making Mjnor and the Ascended hammer around? Something which doesn’t have a time gate but requires you to grind for days on end to get enough cash to make is still effectively time gated.

d. I don’t see why this matters.

e. no one would kick you for not having ascended gear. Unless they’re that desperate to shave 1 min off a run.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

TooBz.3065

a. Functionality of a stat only matters when it makes a materialistic and noticeable difference. In other games having higher tiers of gear allowed me to stomp players in PvP and destroy mobs like paper in PvE, I feel vastly more powerful. In Gw2 having Ascebded gear gives me no actual noticeable difference in in power.

then tell me, why isn’t exotics ‘good enough’? You can do everything just five with it, and see above comment. If you’re talking about personal satisfaction, I’m not satisfied until I get every Legendary in the game and enough gold for me to buy the entire TP. Greed is part if human nature, there is no satisfaction.

c. They aren’t time gated but often the ‘best’ skins are a lot harder to get than Ascended stuff. Would you want to switch the process of making Mjnor and the Ascended hammer around? Something which doesn’t have a time gate but requires you to grind for days on end to get enough cash to make is still effectively time gated.

e. no one would kick you for not having ascended gear. Unless they’re that desperate to shave 1 min off a run.

No need to get all boldy on me. Geeze.

To me, saying that something is objectively better only counts if the differences meets your standard of material is ridiculous.. Better is better.

Anyway, don’t want to talk about it anymore. For the moment I’m fed up with this game and have no interest in trying to improve it.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I realize I’m not TooBz, but I seldom can resist such an invitation. Why does it matter? Because stats matter. As a recent thread with the math suggests, the first year of VP in the game has left us at around +10% to date. Is it significant? Of course +10% is significant, but even if you think not, consider this, vertical progression does not progress by stopping. A power curve describes a positive relationship between power and time. As time progresses, the power level of the game will increase.

I don’t know the intended nature of our low power curve, but let’s assume the first years increase describes the curve, i.e., 10% per year. In 5 years we’ll be at +50%. Five years is not a long time in the life of a successful MMO. Is +50% significant?

This is the problem with arguing about the significance of point 1 & point 2 on a power curve. It’s a curve. It will progress. If it’s not significant today, it will be tomorrow. This is why it matters.

TooBz.3065

I realize I’m not TooBz, but I seldom can resist such an invitation. Why does it matter? Because stats matter. As a recent thread with the math suggests, the first year of VP in the game has left us at around +10% to date. Is it significant? Of course +10% is significant, but even if you think not, consider this, vertical progression does not progress by stopping. A power curve describes a positive relationship between power and time. As time progresses, the power level of the game will increase.

I don’t know the intended nature of our low power curve, but let’s assume the first years increase describes the curve, i.e., 10% per year. In 5 years we’ll be at +50%. Five years is not a long time in the life of a successful MMO. Is +50% significant?

This is the problem with arguing about the significance of point 1 & point 2 on a power curve. It’s a curve. It will progress. If it’s not significant today, it will be tomorrow. This is why it matters.

Thanks. Well said.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This is Anti-GW1 model

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Danko.9602

Danko.9602

It’s still your choice to make ascended gear or not. So you still play however you want. You just choose to ‘grind’.
If you don’t like the idea of ascended gear, don’t pay attention to it. It will not affect you anyways.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Why’s you bump a 2month old thread anyway?

Posted by: Danko.9602

Danko.9602

Because I’m 2 months late to the party.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

My advice – try PvP now. 10 Christmas Gifts is around 25 silver on TP now and every 10 costs only 200 glory. Not counting money from playing, winning/losing matches, you can get easily around 500-600 glory a match even in tpvp. I find it fun, profitable enough and not boring at all. If you are a decent player with any skill, you’ll also earn decent money

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Bottom line is, if can’t dedicate a good portion of your life into this game, you won’t get the good stuff. But if you cherish your private life, you can always buy gems to get gold to keep up with the lifers. See where this is going? Or you can just quit.

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

Bottom line is, if can’t dedicate a good portion of your life into this game, you won’t get the good stuff. But if you cherish your private life, you can always buy gems to get gold to keep up with the lifers. See where this is going? Or you can just quit.

And what is YOUR definition of “a good portion of your life” exactly? Cause that varies person to person.

I have a part time job and go to school full time. I did my 400-500 weaponsmithing during christmas break from school. Guess how long it took? 4 days of working on it for maybe…MAYBE 2 hours a day. (and by “working on it” I mean I casually did dungeons, salvaged everything that wasn’t exotic, and if it was, determined if I could get more out of it using a black lion kit, or selling it and buying mats with the gold.

So in total, it took maybe 8 hours of game time going through dungeons, which I don’t consider “hard” or even “working” cause they were enjoyable.

8 Hours of game time, doing something enjoyable to get a better weapon. =/= A good portion of my life.

You are playing the game wrong, that’s all there is to it. Games are supposed to be FUN. If you can’t enjoy yourself doing content while saving up for goals you want to attain, guess what? DO-NOT-PLAY.

It’s not a problem of game design, It’s a problem with your expectations. Everything in this world is not free, gimmie gimmie right now or else. Good things take patience, and that’s part of the reward for many people. The sense of fulfillment when you attain something you “worked for”. However, as soon as you start thinking about your game as a “job” that’s when you need to really reconsider if your having any fun to begin with. Cause if you can’t find enjoyment in the journey, your going to feel just as empty and hallow if you HAD the final reward you wanted, because then, you have nothing else to go for, no purpose.

• Ultimately, the purpose IS enjoying the journey, not attaining any goal.*

If you understood human psychology and the principles of motivation, you would see that reaching a goal simply leads to complacency → and then boredom. Which just drives you to seek a new goal (to alleviate that boredom)…and the cycle continues.

The only way to escape it, is to realize you can’t….and stop trying to. Stop fighting it. Surrender. Enjoy the now, don’t chase after the future, and don’t look to the past. If what your doing isn’t fun, simply move on to what is. You have the power to control your emotional state, if you seek happiness, go get it. Don’t complain, don’t try and change what you have no control over, change what you do have control over.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

And what is YOUR definition of “a good portion of your life” exactly? Cause that varies person to person.

I have a part time job and go to school full time. I did my 400-500 weaponsmithing during christmas break from school. Guess how long it took? 4 days of working on it for maybe…MAYBE 2 hours a day. (and by “working on it” I mean I casually did dungeons, salvaged everything that wasn’t exotic, and if it was, determined if I could get more out of it using a black lion kit, or selling it and buying mats with the gold.

So in total, it took maybe 8 hours of game time going through dungeons, which I don’t consider “hard” or even “working” cause they were enjoyable.

8 Hours of game time, doing something enjoyable to get a better weapon. =/= A good portion of my life.

You are playing the game wrong, that’s all there is to it. Games are supposed to be FUN. If you can’t enjoy yourself doing content while saving up for goals you want to attain, guess what? DO-NOT-PLAY.

It’s not a problem of game design, It’s a problem with your expectations. Everything in this world is not free, gimmie gimmie right now or else. Good things take patience, and that’s part of the reward for many people. The sense of fulfillment when you attain something you “worked for”. However, as soon as you start thinking about your game as a “job” that’s when you need to really reconsider if your having any fun to begin with. Cause if you can’t find enjoyment in the journey, your going to feel just as empty and hallow if you HAD the final reward you wanted, because then, you have nothing else to go for, no purpose.

• Ultimately, the purpose IS enjoying the journey, not attaining any goal.*

If you understood human psychology and the principles of motivation, you would see that reaching a goal simply leads to complacency -> and then boredom. Which just drives you to seek a new goal (to alleviate that boredom)…and the cycle continues.

The only way to escape it, is to realize you can’t….and stop trying to. Stop fighting it. Surrender. Enjoy the now, don’t chase after the future, and don’t look to the past. If what your doing isn’t fun, simply move on to what is. You have the power to control your emotional state, if you seek happiness, go get it. Don’t complain, don’t try and change what you have no control over, change what you do have control over.

Alright dude, this isn’t community college, you can let the psyche stuff go :p One man’s grind is another man’s journey.

It’s just silly to try to tell someone to think like you do. You may as well be telling them to walk to the moon. Ain’t gonna happen.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

It’s still your choice to make ascended gear or not. So you still play however you want. You just choose to ‘grind’.
If you don’t like the idea of ascended gear, don’t pay attention to it. It will not affect you anyways.

Bullkitten. If someone cannot enjoy endgame as long as they know they are statistically inferior to anyone that spent x amount of time grinding out gear with a minimal advantage, it affects them. Again, the game was marketed in a way that lead most people to believe that there would be an easy to reach, static power plateau. That changed. And no, the definition of an MMOs doesn’t include endless or difficult to reach vertical progression. It’s a staple, not a necessity.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

462 WvW ranks on my elementalist and still no ascended chest reward from a rank up :-( #unfair

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You can bet that next is infusion slot grind. Now it’s +5 stats… next, +7… then +10, etc.

And only Ascended gear has infusion slots. Ascended gear will affect you.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I agree with much that has already been said here. Just by gathering the materials and playing the game it looks like I will have my first Ascended weapon in a month or two. More of an accident than anything else. That said, I hate the whole concept of Ascended gear.

Ever since Ascendency was announced I have vowed not to spend any more real money on this game as a way of protesting. I have learned to be frugal and will only on occasion convert in-game currency to gems. So far, mission accomplished.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

If you understood human psychology and the principles of motivation, you would see that reaching a goal simply leads to complacency -> and then boredom. Which just drives you to seek a new goal (to alleviate that boredom)…and the cycle continues.

Heck, maybe I graduated from playing MMOs. Yeah, I got the best weapon, best armor, yada yada. At the end, it didn’t matter. It felt empty. It had no real-life value for all the time and effort put in. Perhaps I finally plugged out of the matrix.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You started with nothing and got from 400 to 500 in 8 hours of casual play? That’s pretty hard to believe. If you used gold or mats you already had on hand, your claim is disingenuous.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

You started with nothing and got from 400 to 500 in 8 hours of casual play? That’s pretty hard to believe. If you used gold or mats you already had on hand, your claim is disingenuous.

He forgets to say he probably has 2k hours on his account and a ton of mats already saved up ~.~

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I have to say that I’d much prefer repeating various raids once a week(the typical MMO system) to having to grind mats and/or gold. I am not sure what convinced Anet that all of their ascended/legendary gear has to involve months and months worth of grinding crafting mats and gold farming.

GW2 has many strong elements, but crafting is probably it’s weakest element. I am not sure why they would load all gear progression into the weakest element of the game.

I did go through the trouble of building 1 ascended weapon(had 2/5 of the mats before the patch release), and I shortly quit the game for 2-3 months after I finished due to burn out. I am finally getting back into the game slightly. Ascended armor isn’t even on my list of things to do. I’d end up uninstalling the game if I went through the trouble of crafting a whole set.

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

They announced that all ascended items would be in place by the end of 2013 and basically set themselves a timeline that they were unable to meet and make to an acceptable standard. I believe there are a few cracks that have appeared this year. They aren’t testing this stuff for long enough, which tends to happen when you announce deadlines long before they are ready, aren’t getting feedback from a broad range of players and/or they just don’t listen/act on the feedback given because they must meet deadlines and cannot possibly implement changes in time.

The damage is done now, but in a perfect world, ascended gear should have been ready to go in WvW, Fractals, Crafting, Dungeons and World Bosses before it even got patched into the live game.

I hope in the future, any content of this magnitude (POP POP) is not rushed out the door and implemented in half of the game. All or nothing, stop the half kitten d patches and make an expansion if you can’t get your kitten in one sock.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Posted by: Daikaze.6708

Daikaze.6708

Ascended gear isn’t important. It provides a small stat boost and takes far too long to acquire. As long as they don’t start balancing future content around ascended gear, I really don’t care about it.

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

I agree with the OP, handling this was very half kitten d. The only reliable way to acquire ascended items is too spend insane amounts of gold to craft them which is one facet of the game. Even running fractal 49 over and over again doesn’t get you anything because of the terrible RNG. This game was suppose to be about content and not about a grind but thats been thrown to the wayside due too all the account bound materials. I’ve honestly been playing less and less because I’m sick of grinding out materials and it’s most likely only a matter of time before I quit this game.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I have not taken the time to read the entirety of this thread, so pardon me if I am repeating info.

I have personally seen and can verify ascended weapon drops in fractal lvl 19.
I crafted armorsmith from 400-500 for 88 gold with placed orders and being patient.

So your statement that ascended weapons can ONLY be obtained through crafting is false.

That crafting to 500 costs 200g is false.

Just saying.

I will also add I have played through all dungeons and fractals to lvl 20 where i didn’t want to invest in more AR. I have done this with a mixture of exotic/rare gear on my alt toon. You do not need ascended gear to win. In spvp ascended gear isn’t avialable, so it matters not. In WvW an ascended geared player vs an exotic geared player carries a 0.5% advantage. Ascneded gear is mostly for people who run fractals, and don’t want to have gear that is either frasctal suitable, but now not optimized for PvE and vice versa. You can equip AR and upgrade slots with ascended.

Astralporing.1957

In WvW an ascended geared player vs an exotic geared player carries a 0.5% advantage.

That is not true. The weapon damage alone is enough to increase DPS by 5%, without even considering the stats or other pieces at all. With stats, it’s from ~10% to over 20% damage increase, and 2-3% damage reduction. Depending on build and situation it can turn out to be not so minor at all.
And i did not even try to calculate in infusion stat increases yet. Which, considering those +7 stat +6 ar infusions seen on developer stream and +11 infusions from database can also be a significant boost.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Ascended gear isn’t important. It provides a small stat boost and takes far too long to acquire. As long as they don’t start balancing future content around ascended gear, I really don’t care about it.

For those of us who actually participated in original game… PvP and a level playing field was what made GW stand out in the MMO crowd at the time, which was mostly PvE grinding, and potentially massive power level difference in gear.

GW2 has gone against almost everything it predacesor established, but at the very least it had kept it’s promise of NO GRIND, I loved the fact that after a week or two of somewhat dedicated play I could have a character with BiS items, and then all i had to worry about was… playing the game.

But with ascended weapons… idk if there is armor now? There is a marginal gap between exiotic and Ascended.

Going from rare to exotic could take you a week or two at the most. But going from exiotic to ascended not only requires a massively larger amount of time, but also RNG or REAL MONEY. You cannot feasibly get the gold required through normal play to get crafting skills to 500, you either need to be terribly lucky with precursor drops for a quick cash out, or spend real money on the NCSoft™ Fun money store.