Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Can we not use this term in blog posts? I think it gives the wrong impression, especially in regards to WvW, and PvP, like you’re supposed to hunt down your fellow players, and kill them for the loot. I think it’s distasteful. The players are human beings, not anonymous, walking bags of loot. Sure, you have to kill people in WvW, and in PvP, but we shouldn’t call it “hunting.”

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I use the term all the the time and in PvE.
I think you are over thinking it a bit
What would you prefer? Less qq and more pew pew?

Gunnar’s Hold

Happy Hunting

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I prefer to use the statement “Safe adventuring” or “Happy gaming”. I also made Tyrian adaptations of “Fare well in the void” that I had used in space-based mmo games like ‘Earth and Beyond’ and ‘Eve-Online’.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Can we not use this term in blog posts? I think it gives the wrong impression, especially in regards to WvW, and PvP, like you’re supposed to hunt down your fellow players, and kill them for the loot. I think it’s distasteful. The players are human beings, not anonymous, walking bags of loot. Sure, you have to kill people in WvW, and in PvP, but we shouldn’t call it “hunting.”

But, you are supposed to hunt down your fellow players and kill them for loot. They even add finishers to the gem store to make killing them extravagant.

Is there really a discussion about this?

It’s a mist WAR. WAAAAAR.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I always use Happy Hunting but I’ve never used it for WvW. I didn’t even know it was in common use since I’ve never heard anyone else say it. It does seem a bit off when using it for WvW but I can see how it would still apply. If WvW was more like RvR (for those who know) then it would go without saying.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Happy Hunting

Becka Williams.4978

You don’t hunt you enemies down in war. You neutralize targets that are attacking you, and let people retreat if they’re doing it peacefully.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Xzaander.4123

Xzaander.4123

I can’t believe the things people complain about… still:

I think you miss a vital point here. Small, but vital.

We’re not killing the actual players. We’re ‘killing’ their characters- digital robots made up of ones and zeros.

Actually, we don’t really ‘kill’ them at all. Firstly, how can you kill something which is not alive? Secondly, we all respawn. We can’t do that IRL. In games, we can. And even if GW2 was perma-death, above points still stand.

Besides, what are you gonna do? Censor every way people themselves choose to communicate? Good luck with that.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You don’t hunt you enemies down in war. You neutralize targets that are attacking you, and let people retreat if they’re doing it peacefully.

No.

The Burninator

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is very out of touch with the reality of how warfare is practiced in the modern era, and how it has been practiced through out history.

Much of the non disease related killing in combat/warfare throughout history has come during the retreat portion.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

….People are taking this thread seriously?

Well….ok then.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is very out of touch with the reality of how warfare is practiced in the modern era, and how it has been practiced through out history.

Much of the non disease related killing in combat/warfare throughout history has come during the retreat portion.

Also phrases like ‘neutralise targets’ is exactly the sort of weasel wording used to try and disguise the fact that what they’re actually talking about is ‘killing people’.

I don’t necessarily agree with the OP, especially since many people do go hunting for enemy players in WvW, but phrases like that would do more to confuse the issue.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

This thread is gold.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Happy Hunting

Becka Williams.4978

I knew some people would respond this way. You simply can’t help it. I’m cool with that. I was hoping a dev would respond, but hey, you guys keep mocking me, and proving my point.

Happy Hunting

Ashen.2907

As an FYI:

Disagreeing with you, or pointing out holes in your position is not, “mocking,” you.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I knew some people would respond this way. You simply can’t help it. I’m cool with that. I was hoping a dev would respond, but hey, you guys keep mocking me, and proving my point.

No one is mocking you. But when you make statements like this:

A statement that is terribly wrong. People are going to challenge you and call you out. You are not doing your cause any favors by trying to play the victim now.

The Burninator

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Can we not use this term in blog posts? I think it gives the wrong impression, especially in regards to WvW, and PvP, like you’re supposed to hunt down your fellow players, and kill them for the loot.

That is what you’re supposed to do.

I think it’s distasteful.

So?

The players are human beings, not anonymous, walking bags of loot.

Not really. They’re pretty much faceless enemies to crush beneath my feet.

Sure, you have to kill people in WvW, and in PvP, but we shouldn’t call it “hunting.”

Why not? Because you don’t like it?

You don’t hunt you enemies down in war. You neutralize targets that are attacking you

Not even close. That’s actually the kind of junk they say to try to separate people from what they’re doing for the sake of their mental health.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Happy Hunting

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

but but , I hunt The Pinky Purplish Mushtash……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Happy Hunting

Becka Williams.4978

A statement that is terribly wrong. People are going to challenge you and call you out. You are not doing your cause any favors by trying to play the victim now.

So, WvW is exactly the same as a real world war? You’re seriously making that comparison? I don’t think we have anything else to talk about then.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Although I can see the OP’s point, I do think you’re taking it a bit too seriously. I don’t particularly care for getting run down by the zerg, or ganked by a havoc squad who then /laugh or /sit on my corpse, but I just shrug it off and waypoint back. It’s part of the risk of WvW; if you prefer not to experience that, run with your own zerg or don’t even enter WvW at all. I honestly would not even bother with WvW if it weren’t for the fact that I need Badges for some things and for map completion.

Happy Hunting

Ashen.2907

So, WvW is exactly the same as a real world war? You’re seriously making that comparison? I don’t think we have anything else to talk about then.

You are the one who brought up real world warfare, not him.

Happy Hunting

Becka Williams.4978

But, you are supposed to hunt down your fellow players and kill them for loot. They even add finishers to the gem store to make killing them extravagant.

coughs slightly You were saying that I was the one that brought it up?

Happy Hunting

Ashen.2907

coughs slightly You were saying that I was the one that brought it up?

Yes.

He said, “mist WAR.” A very specific reference to a fictional conflict in a video game.

You are the one who initially referenced real world warfare.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

It doesn’t surprise me that the OP is attaching arbitrary feeling and emotion to vernacular and gameplay.

At least not after I read their name, it didn’t.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Shadow.3671

Shadow.3671

I do find it disturbing how the devs in this game seem to cater to the psychotically inclined players in encouraging wholesale murder of one’s fellow human beings. No pity, no remorse, only loot.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Sorry can’t do that. I’m too busy crushing my faceless, nameless enemies by the dozen in WvW and looting their stone-cold corpses.

It’s a game. Perhaps you’re taking it a tad too seriously?

One – Piken Square

Happy Hunting

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Sure, you have to kill people in WvW, and in PvP, but we shouldn’t call it “hunting.”

So it’s not okay to call it “hunting”, but it is okay to kill them? It’s worse to follow someone, to track them down and maybe kill them, than to actually kill them? =))

This thread is gold! OP, keep up the good work!

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

What would you prefer? Less qq and more pew pew?

can we have both. everyone start assaulting the mobs with words! the bigger the better.

#ELEtism

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Maybe the OP is one of those perma stealth thieves that hates to be hunted down while solo roaming

OP not sure if serious.. if your against the term then maybe these kind of kill em all games just aren’t for you.. your taking things a little to serious imo.. perhaps chasing butterflies maybe be a little more suitable…… oh wait, I guess that could also be construed as “Happy Hunting”

Happy Hunting

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

You say The players are human beings, not anonymous, walking bags of loot..

This actually terrifies me… Since it sounds like you can’t tell the difference between a game and reality becouse;
- The characters you “defeat” is just pxels and coding, not real people (The player is safe behind a PC).
- All player are and should be Anonymous. In WvW you can’t see your enemies names but there is also this, like my account name EdgarMTanaka.7291 is not my real name and my characters isn’t named after me iether.
- Players are not bags of loot but by defeating a player character they have a chance of dropping a bag of loot.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

It’s true, players aren’t walking bags of loot. We don’t actually get to loot their shiny equipment off their bodies, instead we get a bag with some random stuff in it that the person we killed didn’t even know they had!

It’s like we’re mugging people who are all decked out in bling, then gleefully running away with a random trash bag that was nearby.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

This actually terrifies me… Since it sounds like you can’t tell the difference between a game and reality becouse;
- The characters you “defeat” is just pxels and coding, not real people (The player is safe behind a PC).
- All player are and should be Anonymous. In WvW you can’t see your enemies names but there is also this, like my account name EdgarMTanaka.7291 is not my real name and my characters isn’t named after me iether.
- Players are not bags of loot but by defeating a player character they have a chance of dropping a bag of loot.

I call bull on this. If players were walking bags of loot then how come no matter how I kill someone in WvW I have yet to be able to loot that fancy helm or those neat shoulder pads!

#ELEtism

Happy Hunting

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I call bull on this. If players were walking bags of loot then how come no matter how I kill someone in WvW I have yet to be able to loot that fancy helm or those neat shoulder pads!

What are you calling bull on? Since if you read my post you see I claim ‘Players are not bags of loot’

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

If this is how war is practiced, then there wouldn’t be wars at all because no one would attack anyone else.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

lol. Naivety is strong with this one.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t the entire point of wvw and pvp to kill the opposing threat and take their loot and cap points?

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I would much prefer “Happy Killing!” over “Happy Hunting!”. You know, since hunting implies we are sneaking about trying to capture OR kill something to possibly use for survival.

That is very misleading, distasteful, and honestly a bit insulting to the hunting community.

What we’re doing is running around killing people for the fun of it. At least that’s what I’ve been doing… which is very different from what hunters do. Totally agree with you OP!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Happy Hunting

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

When there are consequences to dying/ killing in WvW and players or somehow required to go there then maybe this statement will hold water. However I’m guessing that never happens, and it continues to be that players are there to fight and kill other players and hunt for items, money and above all glory.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Didn’t expect to see a thread like this here.

Srsly guys

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

I can see the future of this thread….

Attachments:

Happy Hunting

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

…. really?

….. I mean…. really?

It’s a game. Oh sorry, I forgot…“iz srs bzns”

chuckle

I prefer ‘gl hf’ (good luck have fun)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Mo Killer.8095

Mo Killer.8095

This is an actual tread? No way, this has to be a joke…

If you don’t like me hunting you in WvW, then stay out and massacre fluffy bunnies in PvE. Feel free to role play there as well.

But rest assured their will be face smashing and cold dead corpse looting going on and their is nothing you can do to stop it. MUHA HA HA…

Brother Numsie [WTM] – Guardian – AR

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I rather see a fix to the kill 30/40 critters daily achievement. I don’t sleep anymore all I remember is the face of the rabbit as the dragon’s tooth quickly descended on it.

30 rabbits for one achievement point…..I’ll never get the blood off my hands.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Even if it was real life good luck on the survival of the planet without meat. And GL pretending that you would exist as a species since people before you used it to survive and if they hadn’t of survived you would not be here. So you should be thankful for hunting and meat not disrespecting it and trying to hide from reality.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Happy Hunting

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I rather see a fix to the kill 30/40 critters daily achievement. I don’t sleep anymore all I remember is the face of the rabbit as the dragon’s tooth quickly descended on it.

30 rabbits for one achievement point…..I’ll never get the blood off my hands.

I kill annoying mosquitoes… out in bloodtide. I feel absolutely no remorse for those pesky, biting critters.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Players are 3D graphical models controlled by real people. Think of it as a Robot being controlled by a remote control. Thats not a human being its a robot. Get it?

Its like a Drone being flown over your house, there is no person inside it, Its being operated from an office somewhere.

So in the future can we not have these threads. They really kitten me off and make me want to flame.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

LOL

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

I hope OP isn’t serious. If he/she is, I’m sad…

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

We can ignore the animal cruelty in this game, the persistent racism, the encouragement of genocide as well as the killing of children and looting their corpses (http://puu.sh/49pDO.gif)

but god forbid this!

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Echou.1923

Echou.1923

Not sure if trolling but here we go….

I would much prefer “Happy Killing!” over “Happy Hunting!”. You know, since hunting implies we are sneaking about trying to capture OR kill something to possibly use for survival.

That is very misleading, distasteful, and honestly a bit insulting to the hunting community.

Happy Killing is quite distasteful. It means we should enjoy taking other people’s lives. Do you enjoy taking other people’s lives? You should be in jail. Shouldn’t it be “Happy Defeating” or “Happy Winning”?

And isn’t WAR a quite offensive and distasteful word? Millions of people have died and lost their families because of the terrible wars. I don’t want my children to see war as a fun past-time activity. “Guild Adventures 2” would be much nicer.

OR we could just agree that it’s just a game.

(edited by Echou.1923)

Happy Hunting

Posted by: Menzzo Berranzan.8379

Menzzo Berranzan.8379

#iwillhuntyoudown