Have you ever broken ALL of your armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShibVicious.9681

ShibVicious.9681

I think the first time I broke all my armor was when I was doing a (very difficult) JP with a Charr. I didn’t know Swiftness existed back then, and I was a a Charr in a JP.

That left me with several emotional scars.

Dying due to a JP, suggests falling to your death. In which case, those deaths don’t damage your armour.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I think the most I have ever broken was 5 pieces…once. I may break, on average, ~1 piece of armor a week and that is usually do to getting downed a the Fire Elemental and having an Ember Tornado spawn on top of me.

Do people really break that much armor?

I did when I was doing a Personal Story instance when I was vastly underleveled for it on my newbie Mesmer. The Boss didn’t reset when I died so I kept suicide attacking him till he died. By the end I was completely naked. It was beautiful.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Most i’ve had is 2 pieces broken due to wipes in fractals that i opened and didn’t have anywhere near enough AR for.

First time was in CoE failing on those lazers though.

About that bolded part ^^
My girlfriend broke all of her gear there. Hehe the lasers are realy annoying the first-time learning to jump there and don’t think you will die to much.

remove all armour before jumping

wonder why they bother with breaking armour now without the charge, now it’s just an extra annoyance. (yes, it seems less annoying to me, to have to pay. then to go to fix something for nothing, seems odd.)
Fixing armour wasn’t even expensive. It seemed reasonable.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I think the first time I broke all my armor was when I was doing a (very difficult) JP with a Charr. I didn’t know Swiftness existed back then, and I was a a Charr in a JP.

Dying due to a JP, suggests falling to your death. In which case, those deaths don’t damage your armour.

The one on the western edge of Caledon can burn your armour away on death. That’s where I first broke all my armour.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I have damaged everything several times (specially with nice Full DPS runs with 3 (full) condi speccers) , and I did break everything once, doing the lvl 50 story event on my ele which was lvl 49 at the time and had lvl 40 "mostly"green armor at that time…
It felt like my ele was a fly and each risen approaching me had a flyswatter or a huge can of bug-spray….

I failed it in the end, not carrying repair cannisters or anything else. I lvled 1 level to 50 , bought all lvl 50 rares, lvl 50 rare staff & daggers and made myself new jewels as a reaction. Which in the end proved a good waste of cash but was huge for me at the time

Second try I finished with no armor damage… It showed me the importance of decent armor and runes at the time… It was about my 1st month of play I guess and I was so proud to have all rares… Bought the recipes and all… When I think back at it I smile, remembering those newbish experiences

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yup…. to point where you’re naked.. in fractals i think.. in the very early days…. lol

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Yes, I have broken it all. However, this was back when I first started and because I went into a dungeon without having repaired my armor before hand. I was young, foolish, filled with delusions of grandeur, lol

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Father Grimm.8467

Father Grimm.8467

Yes: once, on the, first run in the top level LS instance of the Tower of Nightmares. I duoed it with my best buddy; I ran a 60 warrior in rares/masterwork gear, my friend was a 50ish Elementalist in masterwork/fine gear. We zerged to get there (as everyone had to), so we had limited experience with endless lasers, toxic mobs requiring finishing moves, molten protectors, confusion spam, and endless hallucinations. The scaling for a duo seemed pretty bad. We both ended up doing naked doing suicide runs in the last room, getting vaporized after a few hits each time on the boss, as there were multiple adds and toxic stalks everywhere.

I ran the thing solo later with multiple characters after learning the instance’s spawn patterns and the mobs in general. My friend, on the other hand, soured on Elementalists, LS, and GW2 in general after seeing his character explode time after time with the horrible survivability of his character. He’s left the game.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

2-3 pieces at most. Usually depends on how fast the chest piece breaks. As a medium armor wearer, if my leggings, boots or head piece would break is unlikely I’d notice.

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

I have broken all my armor, but that was in the labyrinth on my thief while leveling. I went in level 30 or something, and came out level 80, still in the same armor. I then didn’t even repair it, just bought my zerk gear and went to it.

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

First (and only time I think) I broke all my armor was on my engineer alt in the Mad King’s Labyrinth. Kept dying to mobs while trying to run back to champs but I didn’t want to leave to repair or I’d have to keep looking for doors to return and miss out on the loot/xp train.

Once everything broke, though, I was pretty much forced to accept defeat and go repair.

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

The one on the western edge of Caledon can burn your armour away on death. That’s where I first broke all my armour.

Yup, Spekk’s Lab. Only did that once with armor on. Then got why everyone else was jumping it naked on purpose…

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Psssttt….

Next time you make up a story, try to make it believable…

(falling deaths don’t give armor damage)

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Psssttt….

Next time you make up a story, try to make it believable…

(falling deaths don’t give armor damage)

Psssttt….

Spekk’s Lab in Caledon Forest will break your armor if you fall and die in the lava…

(don’t be so quick to point out flaws until you’ve done your homework)

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

ALL? No… can’t say that I have. I think the most I’ve broken at one time was 2 pieces, and that’s simply due to not paying attention or bothering to repair armor across several play sessions. (the first piece was gloves, which I didn’t show on that char, so I simply didn’t know lol)

I don’t tend to leave my character ‘in town’ somewhere when I log off, so repairing isn’t necessarily something I think about. shrug

Psssttt….

Spekk’s Lab in Caledon Forest will break your armor if you fall and die in the lava…

I learned this one the hard way. I got naked real quick to do that JP.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

This is exactly why I detest the fractals, and I never go in without a repair canister.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Cotheer.2806

Cotheer.2806

IIRC, two times, both while doing human ele personal story >_>
First time was in the throne room when you get gang…errr “attacked” by bunch of mobs
Second time was in Orr, where you had to defend some cannons (if i remember correctly) and as usual npcs just stood there (i believe Trahearne was there, so no wonder) and watched you “…burn”.

Both time, ended bare naked.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

yes, on my first cof3, very long time ago.
on the bombs before last boss

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

2 pieces from pugging Fractals, especially the first few times when I still forgot to repair every time I enter. Luckily I either carry repair canisters or let some-one else open. Maybe a few pieces in WvW following my favourite Commander around, but I can’t recall for sure, Necromancers have amazing survivability.

Yesterday my Elementalist shoulder-piece broke in AC p2, I died once so I guess it had been a while since I talked to an anvil. Full zerker is painful with such a short anti-projectile.

But all pieces, not that I can recall.

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

This only happened to me once. I forget the details but there was some living story event going on where these dolls would appear out of boxes, and they were really tough. I happened across one that was right next to a waypoint, and so every time I died on that enemy (it was many times because my ele was very weak and I didn’t know how to play him) I would just immediately respawn and attack it again before it could regenerate. I beat it eventually, and I didn’t feel like spending any more money than I already had, so I had to run naked back to the nearest merchant.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have. When my very first character reached lvl 80 we did Arah story. We were still geared in greens and blues and had no knowledge of what the dungeon would be like. It was also before it was made easier.

Anyway we did pretty ok the early parts even though we lost two members on the way, but aboard the big ship the horde of risen decimated the three of us. We did not know to concentrate all our firepower on the Eyes. We refused to give up even though it felt hopeless and in the end we did triumph, but our losses were heavy. My character was in her underwear as I had not brought enough coin to repair, but we did not care.

It was a victory I will never forget.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

One of my first characters broke all of her armor on a personal story mission that was too high level for her. She was naked by the time she finished.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

No. I have no idea how anyone would even accomplish this.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No. I have no idea how anyone would even accomplish this.

By being in an instance where there is no repair anvil/npc and not having any repair canisters. Or just not caring.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I still do and its usually with bad groups. Like Arah and lupi (recently and could swear he was bugged) and The Fire and Frost fractal bosses (had to put on a second set). I carry at least 4-5 sets on me of various armor in various stats all exotic. I have full zerker, but don’t always play that style.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: ZDBioHazard.8246

ZDBioHazard.8246

I find it amusing that a lot of the stories recounted here involve Elementalists. Here’s another.

On our second day of playing this game, my sister and I were rolling through Wayfarer Foothills on her level 12 Warrior and my level 13 Elementalist, when we happened across the “Help Braham save Cragstead” LS instance. We didn’t know it was a living story thing, so we just thought, “Oh cool, some kind of instance quest thing.” and assumed that because it was in a level 1-10 zone, it was for level 1-10 characters.

The two of us and Braham made it all the way to the last boss with only minor issues, but the boss meant business. What ensued was an epic battle for the history books. The boss would pretty much insta-kill both of us with that crazy sonic periscope attack, so we essentially ended up corpse running the boss while Braham tanked him, taking turns kiting while healing each other, and after what seemed like ages, the molten alliance guy was defeated! Victorious, we stood over our slain enemy, silent for a moment, stark naked, and then a roar came from across the house; “That was SO AWESOME!” … we were hooked. xD

We agreed that we both got the same feeling completing that fight that we used to get the first time beating a raid boss back in WoW. Felt good man. Who knew such a simple and unimportant fight would inadvertently create such a great experience for a couple of new players.

Heh, an amusing addendum; we joined a guild a week or so later, and our new guildmates suggested carrying us through there so we could see it before that story was over, and they seemed shocked when we told them we two-manned it at level 13. /shrug

Ara Daybreak [GT] – Charr Elementalist – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I agree it is interesting that there are so many Elementalist references.

As an Ele main myself I have never broken ANY of my armor.
Mind you have dented a lot of it though

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yeah I’m an Ele and I’m shocked to have had a whole set and a half broken by the end of lv 11 fractal. Though I had one of the more amateur teams and not my guild (who does also take anyone).

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: ShibVicious.9681

ShibVicious.9681

Ah, yes I had completely forgot about that one. Thanks for pointing that out

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

3 pieces broken was my max I think. I carry repair canisters to fractals, but sometimes I forget to take them. And then it’s a nooby team. And the dredge rolls. I play fractals on a necro for reference.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

First time it happened was fighting the Fire Elemental during opening weekend. Death left, right, and center, but it got the whole zone together to zerg it.

Second time was against Half-Baked Komali. My guild was lucky enough to have got her(?) next to a waypoint, but no one knew what the hell the fight mechanics were for her since the guild missions were just added. So like in most cases when confronting the unknown in an MMO… Zerg it until it dies.

So much death…

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Anyone who has an Elementalist has broken all their armor x100. I’ve heard of “Paper” classes in games, but the Elementalist is like a piece of tissue.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Anyone who has an Elementalist has broken all their armor x100. I’ve heard of “Paper” classes in games, but the Elementalist is like a piece of tissue.

But yeah, every dungeon, my team would tell me to “Tone your damage down a bit” because I would aggro an enemy and it would stick to me like glue while I beat the crap out of it and vice versa.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Positive… fractals hate me.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

1 week after launch when people started doing dungeons most parties were naked by the time they reached the end boss of AC.
if you had a repair bill higher than 11s you were actually losing money instead of making some by doing the dungeon

Posted by: Frenk the Vile.2596

Frenk the Vile.2596

Yes, i finished an Arah path2 (back in the good old days, when evrything was fresh and new, when my guild existed, when ascended were not there…) last year totally naked, after a dgn ’’run’’ :P about 5 hours long…i was in ts3 with 4 guildies, 2 of them drunken, 1 partially asleep. Best dgn i ever made, btw. That was fun.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

CoF path 3… Jip I’ve broken all my amour without being able to repair them (stupid exploding, dodge corridor).

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Yes, I have broken all my armour at least twice running dungeons for the 1st time. I remember completing a dungeon in my underwear once due to completely broken armour, forgot to equip any repair canisters…doh!

In WvW, when we are badly outnumbered, my armour has taken quite a battering on occasion but never completely broken but enough for me to use a repair canister rather than pay the repair vendor.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

To the best of my memory, no I haven’t.

Posted by: Afro Dude.8423

Afro Dude.8423

Well the most I’ve ever broken was three full sets worth of gear during a massive 3 way zerg fight earlier tonight in Obsidian Sanctum. The Tournament is off to a great start!

Attachments:

Posted by: Shawker.9587

Shawker.9587

The Lost Shore event (Southsun Cove Discovery), that was a mess, lag spikes of 2 minutes, constantly deaths and you hadnt option to go anywhere to repair at least you wish risk lose the completion of event, and that was ONE time event, first and only time i ended fully naked.

Server: Blackgate
Profession: Dolyak Ass Kicker

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Nope, but I have seen plenty of bots (when the game first came out that did).

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I broke all my armour back when the game first came out. I was level 20 and I was fighting Ascalonians whilst trying to climb the Breached Wall in Diessa Plateau.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

Posted by: Tzarakiel.7490

Tzarakiel.7490

Yes, when I went AFK in Orr once. People kept reviving me.

lol it’s so much fun to troll afk folks.

I know. I revive Afk players on purpose just to punish them a little for not finding a safer spot.

“I’m more insulted by his lack of imagination.”